Summary: Hospitals providing medical care to veterans of wars.
- Whittle J, Kressin N, Peterson E, Orner M, Glickman M, Mazzella M, et al. Racial differences in prevalence of coronary obstructions among men with positive nuclear imaging studies. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47:2034-41 pubmed..Further studies are required to confirm our findings and better understand the paradox that AA are less likely to have obstructive coronary disease and more likely to suffer mortality from coronary disease. ..
- Bauer M, McBride L, Williford W, Glick H, Kinosian B, Altshuler L, et al. Collaborative care for bipolar disorder: Part II. Impact on clinical outcome, function, and costs. Psychiatr Serv. 2006;57:937-45 pubmed..Collaborative chronic care models can improve some long-term clinical outcomes for bipolar disorder. Functional and quality-of-life benefits also were demonstrated, with most benefits accruing in years 2 and 3. ..
- Maynard C, Lowy E, Rumsfeld J, Sales A, Sun H, Kopjar B, et al. The prevalence and outcomes of in-hospital acute myocardial infarction in the Department of Veterans Affairs Health System. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1410-6 pubmed
- Singh H, Arora H, Vij M, Rao R, Khan M, Petersen L. Communication outcomes of critical imaging results in a computerized notification system. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007;14:459-66 pubmed..Although comparison data from previous studies are limited, the rate of results lost to follow-up appears to be lower than that reported in systems that do not use information technology comparable to what we evaluated. ..
- Asch S, McGlynn E, Hogan M, Hayward R, Shekelle P, Rubenstein L, et al. Comparison of quality of care for patients in the Veterans Health Administration and patients in a national sample. Ann Intern Med. 2004;141:938-45 pubmed..Patients from the VHA received higher-quality care according to a broad measure. Differences were greatest in areas where the VHA has established performance measures and actively monitors performance. ..
- Hartmann C, Rosen A, Meterko M, Shokeen P, Zhao S, Singer S, et al. An overview of patient safety climate in the VA. Health Serv Res. 2008;43:1263-84 pubmed publisher..This is the first systematic study of patient safety climate in VA hospitals. Findings indicate an overall positive safety climate across the VA, but there is room for improvement. ..
- Bonuel N, Byers P, Gray Becknell T. Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) prevention through facility-wide culture change. Crit Care Nurs Q. 2009;32:144-8 pubmed publisher..This article presents one hospital's fight against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by implementing a facility-wide program aimed at changing and standardizing the culture within the hospital. ..
- Karimi S, Hough A, Beckey C, Parra D. Results of a safety initiative for patients on concomitant amiodarone and simvastatin therapy in a Veterans Affairs medical center. J Manag Care Pharm. 2010;16:472-81 pubmed
- Bates B, Kurichi J, Marshall C, Reker D, Maislin G, Stineman M. Does the presence of a specialized rehabilitation unit in a Veterans Affairs facility impact referral for rehabilitative care after a lower-extremity amputation?. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007;88:1249-55 pubmed..The implication of these differences with regard to patient outcomes will need to be determined. ..
- Janzen S, Mugler A. Nursing leadership collaboration for rehabilitation of polytrauma patients. Rehabil Nurs. 2008;33:242-6 pubmed..These rehabilitation nurses possess the strong skills necessary to assess complex patient cases involving blast injuries, as well as strengthened interpersonal competencies in family dynamics, family education, and team function. ..
- Choi J, Bakaeen F, Huh J, Dao T, LeMaire S, Coselli J, et al. Outcomes of coronary surgery at a Veterans Affairs hospital versus other hospitals. J Surg Res. 2009;156:150-4 pubmed publisher..6% versus 3.0%, P = 0.03). Despite the higher prevalence of comorbidities, patients who underwent CABG at a VA hospital had a significantly lower mortality rate than CABG patients in non-VA hospitals. ..
- Lingsma H, Eijkemans M, Steyerberg E. Incorporating natural variation into IVF clinic league tables: The Expected Rank. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2009;9:53 pubmed publisher..9) The Expected Rank provides a way to combine the attractiveness of a ranking, a single number and easy interpretation, with reliable analyses that does justice to the providers, and also allows individual comparisons. ..
- Lynch D, Noel H. Integrating DSM-IV factors to predict violence in high-risk psychiatric patients. J Forensic Sci. 2010;55:121-8 pubmed publisher..Replication studies are recommended to strengthen validity of the ROVA scale. ..
- Anaya H, Hoang T, Golden J, Goetz M, Gifford A, Bowman C, et al. Improving HIV screening and receipt of results by nurse-initiated streamlined counseling and rapid testing. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23:800-7 pubmed publisher..Policymakers should consider streamlined counseling/rapid testing when implementing routine HIV testing into primary/urgent care. ..
- Berry R, Hill G, Thompson L, McLaurin V. Portable monitoring and autotitration versus polysomnography for the diagnosis and treatment of sleep apnea. Sleep. 2008;31:1423-31 pubmed..10 +/- 0.05 versus 3.31 +/- 0.52), and CPAP satisfaction did not differ between the groups. A clinical pathway utilizing PM and APAP titration resulted in CPAP adherence and clinical outcomes similar to one using PSG. ..
- Staggers N, Brennan P. Translating knowledge into practice: passing the hot potato!. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007;14:684-5 pubmed
- Rose A, Shimada S, Rothendler J, Reisman J, Glassman P, Berlowitz D, et al. The accuracy of clinician perceptions of "usual" blood pressure control. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23:180-3 pubmed..When clinicians asserted that the BP was "usually well controlled", objective evidence frequently suggested otherwise. This observation provides insight into one potential mechanism underlying clinical inertia. ..
- Bilimoria K, Bentrem D, Tomlinson J, Merkow R, Stewart A, Ko C, et al. Quality of pancreatic cancer care at Veterans Administration compared with non-Veterans Administration hospitals. Am J Surg. 2007;194:588-93 pubmed
- Mohamed S, Leslie D, Rosenheck R. Use of antipsychotics in the treatment of major depressive disorder in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70:906-12 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to evaluate the long-term safety and efficacy of these medications in combination with antidepressants. ..
- Zimering M, Anderson R, Moritz T, Ge L. Endothelial cell inhibitory autoantibodies are associated with laser photocoagulation in adults from the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial. Metabolism. 2009;58:882-7 pubmed publisher..It could not be determined whether insulin use may decrease the occurrence of endothelial cell inhibitory autoantibodies in advancing adult type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Render M, Deddens J, Freyberg R, Almenoff P, Connors A, Wagner D, et al. Veterans Affairs intensive care unit risk adjustment model: validation, updating, recalibration. Crit Care Med. 2008;36:1031-42 pubmed publisher..74). Variation in discharge and laboratory practices may affect performance measurement. The VA ICU severity model has face, construct, and predictive validity. ..
- Mooney S, Weeks W. Where do women veterans get their inpatient care?. Womens Health Issues. 2007;17:367-73 pubmed..Many younger women who used the private sector were reliant on other government agencies (Medicaid or Medicare) or out-of-pocket payments for their inpatient care. ..
- Myers L. Outcomes comparison of head and neck free tissue transfers in three different hospital populations. Microsurgery. 2009;29:593-7 pubmed publisher..The author maintained a high level of participation in the surgeries and postoperative care across the different hospital settings. ..
- Howe J, Daratsos L. Zelda Foster: a social work mentor's legacy. J Soc Work End Life Palliat Care. 2007;3:47-56 pubmed
- Matthieu M, Chen Y, Schohn M, Lantinga L, Knox K. Educational preferences and outcomes from suicide prevention training in the Veterans Health Administration: one-year follow-up with healthcare employees in Upstate New York. Mil Med. 2009;174:1123-31 pubmed..This training program can increase the knowledge and abilities of VHA staff to engage, identify, and refer veterans at risk for suicide to appropriate care. ..
- Baruch L, Gupta B, Lieberman Blum S, Agarwal S, Eng C. Ezetimibe 5 and 10 mg for lowering LDL-C: potential billion-dollar savings with improved tolerability. Am J Manag Care. 2008;14:637-41 pubmed..Widespread adoption of this low-dose strategy could result in a potential cost savings of more than a billion dollars annually, with a potential reduction in hepatotoxicity. ..
- Weeks W, Wallace T, Wallace A. The impact of the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel Enhancement Act of 2004 on VA physicians' salaries and retention. J Health Care Finance. 2009;35:13-23 pubmed..VA does not appear to provide comparable salaries for physicians necessary for surgical care. In certain cases, VA should consider outsourcing surgical services. ..
- Zanjani F, Bush H, Oslin D. Telephone-based psychiatric referral-care management intervention health outcomes. Telemed J E Health. 2010;16:543-50 pubmed publisher..Further research is necessary to examine the efforts needed to extend increased treatment engagement into improved health outcomes for intervention recipients. ..
- Mehta J, Bursac Z, Mehta P, Bansal D, Fink L, Marsh J, et al. Racial disparities in prescriptions for cardioprotective drugs and cardiac outcomes in Veterans Affairs Hospitals. Am J Cardiol. 2010;105:1019-23 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the lower prescription rates of cardioprotective drugs and lower rates of coronary artery bypass grafting might be a partial basis for the high rates of cardiac morbidity among black patients. ..
- Stelmack J, Frith T, Van Koevering D, Rinne S, Stelmack T. Visual function in patients followed at a Veterans Affairs polytrauma network site: an electronic medical record review. Optometry. 2009;80:419-24 pubmed publisher..Post-traumatic stress disorder and depression may complicate optometric evaluation and management. ..
- Arnold F, Patel A, Nakamatsu R, Smith R, Newman D, Sciortino C, et al. Establishing a hospital program to improve antimicrobial use, control bacterial resistance and contain healthcare costs: the University of Louisville experience. J Ky Med Assoc. 2007;105:431-7 pubmed
- Savage L. Unreported VA data may affect SEER research, cancer surveillance, and statistics gathering. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007;99:1744-5, 1752 pubmed
- Lent V, Eckstein E, Cameron A, Budavich R, Eckstein B, Donskey C. Evaluation of patient participation in a patient empowerment initiative to improve hand hygiene practices in a Veterans Affairs medical center. Am J Infect Control. 2009;37:117-20 pubmed publisher..Patient empowerment initiatives may be more effective if patients are encouraged to provide positive reinforcement and/or display prompting visual reminders. ..
- Dunn B, Choi H, Recla D, Kerr S, Wagenman B. Robotic surgical telepathology between the Iron Mountain and Milwaukee Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers: a 12-year experience. Hum Pathol. 2009;40:1092-9 pubmed publisher..5% to 28.7%. In general, no relationship between deferral rate and discordance rate was noted. Iron Mountain clinicians have expressed great satisfaction with the services provided by their off-site pathologist colleagues. ..
- Owen R, Hudson T, Thrush C, Thapa P, Armitage T, Landes R. The effectiveness of guideline implementation strategies on improving antipsychotic medication management for schizophrenia. Med Care. 2008;46:686-91 pubmed publisher..Strategies to improve medication management for schizophrenia are needed, and must incorporate recommendations likely to emerge from recent research suggesting comparable effectiveness of SGAs and FGAs. ..
- Miller P. Clinical nurse leader--a new nursing role. Tenn Nurse. 2008;71:4 pubmed
- Bokhour B, Solomon J, Knapp H, Asch S, Gifford A. Barriers and facilitators to routine HIV testing in VA primary care. J Gen Intern Med. 2009;24:1109-14 pubmed publisher..However, providers should use patient-centered communication strategies to ease patients' concerns about confidentiality and stigma associated with HIV disease. ..
- Guihan M, Hastings J, Garber S. Therapists' roles in pressure ulcer management in persons with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2009;32:560-7 pubmed
- Liu C, Chapko M, Perkins M, Fortney J, Maciejewski M. The impact of contract primary care on health care expenditures and quality of care. Med Care Res Rev. 2008;65:300-14 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that capitated contract clinics did not shift costs to specialty care and appeared to be an economically efficient mechanism for improving veterans' access to primary care while meeting VA quality of care standards. ..
- Essenmacher C, Karvonen Gutierrez C, Lynch Sauer J, Duffy S. Staff's attitudes toward the delivery of tobacco cessation services in a primarily psychiatric Veterans Affairs hospital. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2009;23:231-42 pubmed publisher..Multivariate analyses showed that higher education and, surprisingly, not being a nurse were associated with feeling that it was important to provide cessation services. ..
- Zare M, Itani K, Schifftner T, Henderson W, Khuri S. Mortality after nonemergent major surgery performed on Friday versus Monday through Wednesday. Ann Surg. 2007;246:866-74 pubmed..For patients admitted to regular hospital floors after nonemergent major surgery, mortality is increased if surgery is performed on Friday versus Monday through Wednesday. ..
- Mohl P, Hendrickse W, Orsak C, Vermette H. Veterans affairs and academic medical center affiliations: the north Texas experience. Acad Psychiatry. 2009;33:17-22 pubmed publisher..It appears that the decision to pursue the recruitment of both researchers and educators to the North Texas Veterans Health Care System from the beginning may have been crucial in developing a fuller academic collaboration. ..
- Rintamaki L, Scott A, Kosenko K, Jensen R. Male patient perceptions of HIV stigma in health care contexts. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2007;21:956-69 pubmed..Combined, these findings provide health care personnel a tangible list of behaviors that should either be avoided or further explained to HIV-positive patients, as they may be interpreted as stigmatizing. ..
- Amir K, Chen S, Bobba R, Arsura E. Elevation of serum creatine phosphokinase in hospitalized patients. Am J Med Sci. 2009;338:353-6 pubmed publisher..One-year mortality rate in patients with NCCPK elevation is comparable to that in patients with CCPK elevation (26.6% versus 37.2%, P = 0.290). Age and renal insufficiency are 2 major predictors for increased mortality in both groups. ..
- Benge J, Pastorek N, Thornton G. Postconcussive symptoms in OEF-OIF veterans: factor structure and impact of posttraumatic stress. Rehabil Psychol. 2009;54:270-8 pubmed publisher..PTS is an important variable to account for when evaluating PCSx in veterans. Research and clinical implications for the measurement and interpretation of self-reported PCSx are discussed. ..
- Kales H, Kim H, Austin K, Valenstein M. Who receives outpatient monitoring during high-risk depression treatment periods?. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010;58:908-13 pubmed publisher..Adapted interventions and proactive outreach may be needed that target this patient group. ..
- Bitonti D, Steinle M, Powers D, MacKenzie T, Lambert P. Oral and maxillofacial surgery careers in the military and department of veterans affairs. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2008;20:17-26 pubmed publisher..The highlights of a career in each of these Federal Services are described in this article. ..