Summary: Hospitals controlled by the county government.
- Man A, Mare A, Szekely E, Toma F, Lorinczi L. [Bacterial etiology of the conditions associated with bacteremia/septicemia during the years 2006-2007]. Bacteriol Virusol Parazitol Epidemiol. 2008;53:25-30 pubmed..The main bacteria isolated from blood culture are staphylococci and enterobacteria. In medical sections undertaking invasive procedures, the infections with methicillin-resistant staphylococci are common. ..
- Riedmann G. Missionaries to Iowa. A unique staffing model meets a critical need for caregivers for the elderly. Healthc Exec. 2005;20:54-5 pubmed
- Marino L, Goddard E, Workman L. Determining the prevalence of malnutrition in hospitalized paediatric patients. S Afr Med J. 2006;96:993-5 pubmed..The tool should be used to assess nutrition status and risk during the course of hospitalisation, in addition to planning appropriate nutrition care plan interventions for discharge. ..
- Raos V, Raguz M, Rajcan Spoljarić I, Vrazic H, Culo M, Bergovec M. [Anti-ischemic therapy in patients with STEMI or NSTEMI treated at county and university hospitals]. Acta Med Croatica. 2009;63:53-8 pubmed..The outstanding results of major clinical studies are presented, and main guidelines for anti-ischemic therapy of ACS adopted by the international professional associations are set forth. ..
- Joy T, Blue L, Fecher A, Gomez G, Simons C, Kemp H. Attacking the problem of hospital diversion: a report of success. J Nurs Adm. 2010;40:177-81 pubmed publisher..This hospital-wide process significantly decreased our diversion rates, thereby providing consistent and safe care to our community. ..
- Lindsjö U, Nilsson F, Thoren L. [Utopian visions of the future threaten county health services]. Lakartidningen. 2006;103:1865-6; author reply 1866-7 pubmed
- Hellgren J, Baraldi S, Falkenberg H, Sverke M. [Best working climate in private or investor-owned hospitals. Physicians' experiences with different management forms]. Lakartidningen. 2006;103:2040-4 pubmed
- Weinberg E, Potter P, Motala C. The Allergy Clinic: 50 years. S Afr Med J. 2006;96:902-4 pubmed
- Chan C, Lee S, Sangani P, Lin L, Lin M, Lin S. Primary trabeculectomy surgery performed by residents at a county hospital. J Glaucoma. 2007;16:52-6 pubmed..Rates of complications are overall similar to those found in the published literature. ..
- Baumgartner F, Robertson J, Stein A, Scott R, Milliken J, Omari B. Clinical patterns of surgical endocarditis. J Card Surg. 2007;22:32-8 pubmed
- Davidson A, Desai F, Hendricks M, Hartley P, Millar A, Numanoglu A, et al. The evolving management of Burkitt's lymphoma at Red Cross Children's Hospital. S Afr Med J. 2006;96:950-4 pubmed..Protocol 1, which is less intensive with less morbidity, remains a viable strategy for group A and group B disease in resource-poor settings. ..
- Evans M. Staffing strife. SEIU files nurse-patient ratio complaints in California. Mod Healthc. 2004;34:12, 14 pubmed
- Arnetz B, Blomkvist V. Leadership, mental health, and organizational efficacy in health care organizations. Psychosocial predictors of healthy organizational development based on prospective data from four different organizations. Psychother Psychosom. 2007;76:242-8 pubmed..It is suggested that future research should to a larger degree make use of multiple departments and organizations in studies of psychosocial determinants of healthy organizations. ..
- Dunscomb J, Hull B. Case study: enhancing effective and efficient congestive heart failure management at Columbus Regional Hospital. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2008;34:20-6, 1 pubmed
- Zdanowski Z, Danielsson G, Jonung T, Kaij J, Ribbe E, Sahlin C, et al. Outcome of treatment of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms depending on the type of hospital. Eur J Surg. 2002;168:96-100 pubmed..aortic aneurysms (AAA) or otherwise symptomatic aortic aneurysms in a university hospital and in two county hospitals by the same group of vascular surgeons. Retrospective study. 1 university and 2 county hospitals, Sweden...
- Van Cleave C, Scherffius J. Filling the void created by reductions in nurse staffing. AORN J. 2002;75:829-34 pubmed
- Rodriguez R, Passanante M, Phelps M, Dresden G, Kriza K, Carrasco M, et al. Delayed emergency department presentation in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med. 2001;29:2318-21 pubmed..Education on warning symptom recognition for serious illnesses may be warranted not only for patients themselves but also for family members and caregivers. ..
- Muelleman R, Feighny K. Effects of an emergency department-based advocacy program for battered women on community resource utilization. Ann Emerg Med. 1999;33:62-6 pubmed..14), full orders of protection (9% versus 6%, P =. 58), or repeat ED visits for domestic violence (11% versus 8%, P =. 63). ED-based advocacy for domestic violence resulted in increased use of shelters and shelter-based counseling. ..
- Blesch G. Will Cook County reform? County board debates fixes for 'archaic' health system. Mod Healthc. 2007;37:17 pubmed
- Gill B, Deagan E, McNett M. Expectations, perceptions, and satisfaction of graduate nurses. J Nurses Staff Dev. 2010;26:E11-7 pubmed publisher..Findings contribute firsthand accounts of graduate experiences, which are valuable for staff development professionals creating programs to meet the needs of graduate nurses. ..
- Bouton M, Nodora J, Hsu C, Green A, Martinez M, Komenaka I. Understanding of breast cancer concepts in an undereducated county hospital population. J Surg Oncol. 2010;102:398-403 pubmed publisher..Higher level of education and employment status did correlate with improved score. ..
- Abrass C, Ballweg R, Gilshannon M, Coombs J. A process for reducing workload and enhancing residents' education at an academic medical center. Acad Med. 2001;76:798-805 pubmed..Yet a systematic approach to discovering solutions, such as they present, can be adapted to any setting. ..
- Rhee M, Cook C, El Kebbi I, Lyles R, Dunbar V, Panayioto R, et al. Barriers to diabetes education in urban patients: perceptions, patterns, and associated factors. Diabetes Educ. 2005;31:410-7 pubmed..Interventions at multiple levels that address the demographic and socioeconomic obstacles to diabetes education are needed to ensure successful self-management training. ..
- Olsson E, Tukiainen E. Three-year evaluation of late breast reconstruction with a free transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap in a county hospital in Sweden: a retrospective study. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2005;39:33-8 pubmed
- Lossius M, Stavem K, Gjerstad L. Predictors for recurrence of epileptic seizures in a general epilepsy population. Seizure. 1999;8:476-9 pubmed..7;P < 0.0001). In the multivariate analysis age, more than 50 years (OR = 1.7;P = 0.0216) and use of two or more AEDs (OR = 5.6;P < 0.0001) were the only predictors for recurrence of epileptic seizures. ..
- Larsson G, Weibull H, Larsson B. Analysis of the decision-making process leading to appendectomy: a grounded theory study. Scand J Psychol. 2004;45:449-54 pubmed..It was concluded that, compared to existing, rational models of decision making, the model presented identified potentially important contextual characteristics and an outline on when they come into play. ..
- . [Interview with dr. Sándor Gardó]. Orv Hetil. 2007;148:2448 pubmed
- Karlson B, Kalin B, Karlsson T, Svensson L, Zehlertz E, Herlitz J. Use of medical resources, complications and long-term outcome in patients hospitalized with acute chest pain. A comparison between a city university hospital and a county hospital. Int J Cardiol. 2002;85:229-38; discussion 239-41 pubmed..Despite these differences the mortality 2 years after hospital discharge was similar in the two cohorts. ..
- Berg L, Skott C, Danielson E. An interpretive phenomenological method for illuminating the meaning of caring relationship. Scand J Caring Sci. 2006;20:42-50 pubmed
- Chu A, Polesky A, Bhatia G, Bush T. Active and latent tuberculosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus living in the United States. J Clin Rheumatol. 2009;15:226-9 pubmed publisher..Treatment of active TB and latent TB yielded good outcomes with no deaths. US clinicians should consider screening SLE patients for LTBI, especially those from TB endemic areas. ..
- Levy B, Wilkinson F, Marine W. Reducing neonatal mortality rate with nurse-midwives. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2005;50:e10-8 pubmed..It is concluded that the discontinuation of the nurse-midwives' services was the major factor in these changes, and it is suggested that nurse-midwives be used more extensively. ..
- Edelstein H, Ritter J. Internal warts and associated anal diseases are common in patients attending a county HIV clinic. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004;36:989-90 pubmed
- McNeese Smith D. A nursing shortage: building organizational commitment among nurses. J Healthc Manag. 2001;46:173-86; discussion 186-7 pubmed..Application of these findings to healthcare administration is discussed, with strategies for building organizational commitment among nurses. ..
- Roth B, Sher L, Murray J, Belzberg H, Mateo R, Heeran A, et al. Cadaveric organ donor recruitment at Los Angeles County Hospital: improvement after formation of a structured clinical, educational and administrative service. Clin Transplant. 2003;17 Suppl 9:52-7 pubmed..Wider application of this approach should prove successful in increasing organ donation in a similar fashion in other institutions. ..
- Hess R. The missing link to success: using a business process management system to automate and manage process improvement. J Healthc Inf Manag. 2009;23:27-33 pubmed..There are multiple items to evaluate before attempting to use a BPM engine. This paper reviews the work at Chester County, its outcomes and the considerations that were important for achieving success. ..
- Amato S, Salter J, Mion L. Physical restraint reduction in the acute rehabilitation setting: a quality improvement study. Rehabil Nurs. 2006;31:235-41 pubmed..Monthly restraint rates and fall rates were monitored and compared to the previous year's rates. Both units reduced restraint use. Importantly, this reduction was accomplished at the same time as a decline in fall rates. ..
- Herlitz J, Hjälte L, Karlson B, Suserud B, Karlsson T. Characteristics and outcome of patients with acute chest pain in relation to the use of ambulances in an urban and a rural area. Am J Emerg Med. 2006;24:775-81 pubmed..Results did not differ with regard to area. ..
- Feintuch J, Zurowski S. Teachable moments: how combining the medical library and CME can increase quality and decrease overhead. Mo Med. 2006;103:133-4 pubmed
- Asch S, Leake B, Knowles L, Gelberg L. Tuberculosis in homeless patients: potential for case finding in public emergency departments. Ann Emerg Med. 1998;32:144-7 pubmed..Instead, their disease was diagnosed more often at county hospitals (54% versus 23%, P<.001) than patients with TB who were not homeless...
- Nordqvist C, Holmqvist M, Nilsen P, Bendtsen P, Lindqvist K. Usual drinking patterns and non-fatal injury among patients seeking emergency care. Public Health. 2006;120:1064-73 pubmed..Half of this group were non-risky drinkers (CI for the 13.7% difference was 9.7-17.6). Few significant associations between drinking pattern and injury remained when age and sex were controlled for. ..
- Heese H, Steenkamp A. The history of a War Memorial Children's Hospital in Cape Town. S Afr Med J. 2006;96:854-60 pubmed
- Poulsen K. SurveillanceMapper: a simple method for creating an overview of quality data. Dan Med Bull. 2008;55:69-71 pubmed..It is easy to translate hundreds of graphs and tables into the SurveillanceMapper-tool format. The method facilitates easy spotting areas for quality improvements and evaluating the results of intervention. ..
- Pérez Beltrán A, Frías G, Fernández González R, Villaãno Ansótegui M. [From project to reality. Implementation of standardized care plans]. Rev Enferm. 2004;27:15-6 pubmed..This procedure is viewed satisfactorily and at the present time a direct follow-up process continues so that the quality of those parameters examined continues to improve. ..
- Pedersen A, Earley M, Fenner D, Postlewaite C, Scott A. How to build a cardiac surgery program. Nurs Manage. 2001;32:46-50 pubmed..Follow one hospital's experience in opening a new heart center, including its philosophy, triaging of issues, and staff preparation to achieve successful patient outcomes. ..
- Treece P, Engelberg R, Crowley L, Chan J, Rubenfeld G, Steinberg K, et al. Evaluation of a standardized order form for the withdrawal of life support in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med. 2004;32:1141-8 pubmed..Although the order form was helpful to clinicians and changed medication delivery, demonstrating clear improvements in quality of dying may require larger sample sizes, more sensitive measures, or more effective interventions. ..
- Laszlo M. Challenges and opportunities in atrial fibrillation. Can J Cardiol. 2007;23:679; author reply 679 pubmed
- Sun Z, Li L, Zhu X, Ma Y, Li J, Shen Z, et al. Analysis on antimicrobial resistance of clinical bacteria isolated from county hospitals and a teaching hospital. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci. 2006;26:386-8 pubmedThe distinction of antimicrobial resistance of clinical bacteria isolated from county hospitals and a teaching hospital was investigated...
- Seneviratne R, Navasivayam P, Perera S, Wickremasinghe R. Microbiology of cerebral abscess at the neurosurgical unit of the National Hospital of Sri Lanka. Ceylon Med J. 2003;48:14-6 pubmed..In the case of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), it is recommended that chloramphenicol be added to the current regime in management until the antibiotic sensitivity pattern is available. ..
- Woo B, Ma A. Psychiatric inpatient care at a county hospital before and after the inception of a university-affiliated psychiatry residency program. J Psychiatr Pract. 2007;13:343-8 pubmed
- Karlström A, Engström Olofsson R, Norbergh K, Sjöling M, Hildingsson I. Postoperative pain after cesarean birth affects breastfeeding and infant care. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2007;36:430-40 pubmed..There is a need for individual and adequate pain treatment for women undergoing cesarean birth, as high levels of pain interfere with early infant care and breastfeeding. ..
- Pohlandt F, Artlich A, Freihorst A, Radlow U, Schädel G, Schneider A, et al. [Regionalisation of preterm births in county districts? Yes we can!]. Z Geburtshilfe Neonatol. 2009;213:135-7 pubmed publisher..On the strength of past experience it may be assumed that the obstetrician's or institution's willingness to transfer mothers before delivery was the critical factor of the nearly complete regionalization. ..
- Xu D, Hu L, Xiong X. [Retrospective study on forty cases of medical legal dispute]. Fa Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2009;25:279-81 pubmed..But the amount of cases diagnosed by the medical experts as medical malpractice from city-level and county-level hospitals were less than that of town-level hospital and private clinics. ..
- Goldman M, Anderson T, Zehtabchi S, Arquilla B. Testing hospital disaster communication plan has immense value. Disaster Manag Response. 2007;5:27 pubmed