hospital hemodialysis units
Summary: Hospital units in which care is provided the hemodialysis patient. This includes hemodialysis centers in hospitals.
- White B. Plasmapheresis in the treatment of acute vascular rejection: an experience on a dialysis unit. J Ren Care. 2006;32:208-9 pubmed..itself and although plasmapheresis seems to improve the outcome of graft survival, we need to ask ourselves, as demand increases: "Do we have the capacity to treat these patients on our unit in the future and is it our domain?" ..
- Reyes L, Rodriguez Garcia M, Gomez Alonso C, Megido J, Ruiz de Alegría P, Fonseca A, et al. [Estimation of bone mass of hemodialysis patients by digital radiologic radiogrammetry (DXR)]. Nefrologia. 2003;23 Suppl 2:100-5 pubmed..The prevalence of osteoporosis was 7% and 40% in men and women respectively. BMD was correlated with weight (r = 0.346), time on HD (r = -0.188), time on treatment (r = -0.235). The porosity was correlated with PTH levels. ..
- Roderick P, Armitage A. Renal services for people with diabetes in the UK. Diabet Med. 2002;19 Suppl 4:56-60 pubmed..Continued expansion of high-quality RRT is needed that ensures equity of access with particular targeting in areas with large ethnic minority populations. A national priority must be an increase in the kidney transplant rate. ..
- Paris V, Ballerini L. Patient flow analysis and referrals--how 1,137 ESRD patients started dialysis during 1998-1999. EDTNA ERCA J. 2002;28:160-3, 169 pubmed..2% at centres without enhanced education) start the dialysis treatment with permanent access; and more patients (40% vs. 22%) receive permanent PD. ..
- Holley J. A descriptive report of errors and adverse events in chronic hemodialysis units. Nephrol News Issues. 2006;20:57-8, 60-1, 63 passim pubmed..Adverse events in hemodialysis units are fairly common and should be included among routine quality improvement issues addressed by dialysis providers and caregivers. More study of this issue is needed. ..
- Bird S, Petley G, Deakin C, Clewlow F. Defibrillation during renal dialysis: a survey of UK practice and procedural recommendations. Resuscitation. 2007;73:347-53 pubmed..It is in breach of national and international safety standards and should not be practiced. ..
- Oie S, Kamiya A, Yoneda I, Uchiyama K, Tsuchida M, Takai K, et al. Microbial contamination of dialysate and its prevention in haemodialysis units. J Hosp Infect. 2003;54:115-9 pubmed..Because dialysis machines are susceptible to microbial contamination, it is necessary to take measures such as placing an ultrafiltration membrane into the circuit before the entrance of dialysate into the dialyser. ..
- Macron Noguès F, Vernay M, Ekong E, Thiard B, Salanave B, Fender P, et al. The prevalence of ESRD treated with renal dialysis in France in 2003. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;46:309-15 pubmed..This study constitutes the first comprehensive inventory of dialysis therapy in France, where the prevalence of ESRD is among the highest in the world. ..
- Holley J, DeVore C, Obrero T, Noland L. Managing homeless dialysis patients. Nephrol News Issues. 2006;20:49-50, 52-3 pubmed..The medical, nursing, dietary, and social aspects of the care provided by the dialysis multidisciplinary team members are discussed as it pertains to the care of homeless dialysis patients. ..
- Mohamed W. Prevention of hepatitis C virus in hemodialysis patients: five years experience from a single center. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2010;21:548-54 pubmed..Our study further suggests that following infection control guidelines, isolation of seropositive patients and minimizing blood transfusions can help in prevention of HCV transmission among HD patients. ..
- Kruse E, Conrad A, Wenzler Röttele S, Jonas D, Dettenkofer M, Wolkewitz M, et al. Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacter cloacae in mobile dialysis units in the medical and surgical departments of a university hospital: a case-control study. J Hosp Infect. 2010;75:33-6 pubmed publisher..It was possible to contain the high frequency of ESBL colonisation or infection by reinforcing infection control measures and training the staff involved...
- Sun X, Xiao Q, Wang Y, Hao L, Lin H, Zhang Z, et al. [Epidemiology of anticoagulation for hemodialysis patients: survey of 842 cases in seven hemodialysis centers]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2009;89:577-81 pubmed..Heparin is the main anticoagulant in hemodialysis. The anticoagulant methodology in hemodialysis is still empirical without clotting monitor and standard for usage of anticoagulants. ..
- Counts C. Disaster preparedness: is your unit ready?. Nephrol Nurs J. 2001;28:491-9 pubmed..This article addresses all aspects related to a natural disaster, including planning, drills, basic services, personnel, and the aftermath. Adequate preparation may lessen the destruction and negative consequences of a natural disaster. ..
- Krueger A, Allsteadt A. Dialyzing children in the adult world. Nephrol Nurs J. 2008;35:216-20 pubmed
- Hartwell L. Patients educating patients. Let's add a little PEP to the renal community. Nephrol News Issues. 2003;17:67 pubmed
- Chaieb K, Mahdouani K, Bakhrouf A. Detection of icaA and icaD loci by polymerase chain reaction and biofilm formation by Staphylococcus epidermidis isolated from dialysate and needles in a dialysis unit. J Hosp Infect. 2005;61:225-30 pubmed..These results show that the ability of S. epidermidis to produce slime is not associated with the presence of icaA and icaD genes. ..
- Saxena A, Panhotra B, Chopra R. Advancing age and the risk of nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus among patients on long-term hospital-based hemodialysis. Ann Saudi Med. 2004;24:337-42 pubmed..These findings might be helpful in the identification of elderly HD patients as a high-risk group for S. aureus-linked vascular access-related septicemia (VRS) and to evolve appropriate preventive strategies. ..
- Curtis B, Ravani P, Malberti F, Kennett F, Taylor P, Djurdjev O, et al. The short- and long-term impact of multi-disciplinary clinics in addition to standard nephrology care on patient outcomes. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005;20:147-54 pubmed..Further research is needed to determine which specific components of care both prior to dialysis and after its commencement are most important with respect to outcomes. ..
- Abacioglu Y, Bacaksiz F, Bahar I, Simmonds P. Molecular evidence of nosocomial transmission of hepatitis C virus in a haemodialysis unit. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2000;19:182-6 pubmed..Breaches in infection control procedures and lack of environmental decontamination between two haemodialysis sessions were probably the causes of HCV infections in these patients. ..
- Pires Gonçalves R, Sartori F, Montanari L, Zaia J, Melhem M, Mendes Giannini M, et al. Occurrence of fungi in water used at a haemodialysis centre. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2008;46:542-7 pubmed publisher..Further studies on fungi in haemodialysis water systems are required to investigate the organism ability to persist, their role in biofilm formation and their clinical significance. ..
- Nordio M, Laudon A, Panzetta G, Marchini P, Alloatti S. [Census 2004 of the Italian Renal and Dialysis Units. Veneto, Friuli Venezia Giulia and Trentino Alto Adige]. G Ital Nefrol. 2006;23:182-92 pubmed..Despite similar health care models, a relevant inequality in health care resources is evident. ..
- Agar J, Knight R, Simmonds R, Boddington J, Waldron C, Somerville C. Nocturnal haemodialysis: an Australian cost comparison with conventional satellite haemodialysis. Nephrology (Carlton). 2005;10:557-70 pubmed..Funding models should reward home-based HD. Health services should encourage home training and support systems, sustaining patients at home wherever possible. ..
- Yildirim Y, Fadiloglu C. The effect of progressive muscle relaxation training on anxiety levels and quality of life in dialysis patients. EDTNA ERCA J. 2006;32:86-8 pubmed..7 +/- 3.2 before PMRT and 29.6 +/- 2.3 after PMRT (P<0.01). The results of the study demonstrate that PMRT for dialysis patients helps decrease state- and trait-anxiety levels and has a positive impact on QoL. ..
- Ricka R, Evers G. [The manner of care, self care and quality of life dialysis patients]. Pflege. 2004;17:15-21 pubmed..These findings indicate that treatment modalities both of HD and CAPD provide equal opportunities for quality of life if patient selection is based on history of renal disease, available social support and self-care capabilities. ..
- Lockridge R, Pipkin M. Short and long nightly hemodialysis in the United States. Hemodial Int. 2008;12 Suppl 1:S48-50 pubmed publisher..Therefore, promotion of HHD should become a priority for the renal community in the future. ..
- Ahlmén J, Netzler B. [Side costs--a side issue for health services? Transportation service costs and hemodialysis]. Lakartidningen. 2008;105:1760-2 pubmed
- Vitri N, Attias M, Banayahu M, Elharrat K, Hener D. The social climate in chronic haemodialysis units as perceived by patients and nurses. EDTNA ERCA J. 2001;27:178-80 pubmed..It is recommended that interpersonal communication be improved to close the gap in perceptions, thereby improving the unit atmosphere. New strategies should be developed for coping and helping the patient to adjust. ..
- Bayat S, Cuggia M, Kessler M, Briancon S, Le Beux P, Frimat L. Modelling access to renal transplantation waiting list in a French healthcare network using a Bayesian method. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;136:605-10 pubmed..Moreover theses approaches constitute an essential step toward a decisional information system for healthcare networks. ..
- Hussein M, Mooij J, Hegazy M, Bamaga M. The impact of polymerase chain reaction assays for the detection of hepatitis C virus infection in a hemodialysis unit. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2007;18:107-13 pubmed..For better HCV infection control, routine HCV-RNA testing of dialysis patients should be considered, particularly in areas where the infection is common and in units applying isolation policies. ..
- Nakahara N, Morita N, Uchida M, Kishimoto T, Miura K. Nursing care for dialysis patients in Japan. EDTNA ERCA J. 2004;30:217-21 pubmed..In this study, a survey of 157 out of 300 randomly selected dialysis facilities in Japan was made regarding nursing systems and nurses' concerns for medical care of dialysis patients. ..
- Forseter G, Wormser G, Adler S, Lebovics E, Calmann M, O brien T. Hepatitis C in the health care setting. II. Seroprevalence among hemodialysis staff and patients in suburban New York City. Am J Infect Control. 1993;21:5-8 pubmed..In contrast to the experience with hepatitis B virus infection, hemodialysis nurses appear to be at low risk for occupationally acquired HCV infection. ..
- Kliger A. Patient safety in the dialysis facility. Blood Purif. 2006;24:19-21 pubmed
- McClellan W, Soucie J, Krisher J, Caruana R, Haley W, Farmer C. Improving the care of patients treated with hemodialysis: a report from the Health Care Financing Administration's ESRD Core Indicators Project. Am J Kidney Dis. 1998;31:584-92 pubmed..4% increase in facility-specific mean URR. We conclude that the intervention was associated with improvement in hemodialysis care. ..
- Blondin J, Ryan C. Nutritional status: a continuous quality improvement approach. Am J Kidney Dis. 1999;33:198-202 pubmed..The application of continuous quality improvement was used to identify and follow-up malnourished patients. There were significant decreases in number of hospitalizations and days in the hospital. ..
- Buemi M, Floccari F, Netto M, Allegra A, Grasso F, Mondio G, et al. Environmental air pollution in an intensive care unit for nephrology and dialysis. J Nephrol. 2000;13:433-6 pubmed..In none of the environments we were able to detect pathogens such as Aspergillus fumigatus, methycillin-resistant Staphylococci or toxin-producing fungi. ..
- Conti F, Besutti V, Magagnotti M, Sorio O, Lo Schiavo C. [Disinfection is prevention]. G Ital Nefrol. 2003;20 Suppl 22:S43-8 pubmed..This procedure can avoid isolation of infected patients. Prevention of infection is a complex procedure and should engage water systems, machines, as well as environment and nurses. ..
- Borges C, Lascowski K, Filho N, Pelayo J. Microbiological quality of water and dialysate in a haemodialysis unit in Ponta Grossa-PR, Brazil. J Appl Microbiol. 2007;103:1791-7 pubmed..An adequate system for water treatment, disinfection of the haemodialysis system and microbiological monitoring of the water and dialysate are necessary to reduce bacteraemia and pyrogenia outbreaks. ..
- Djordjevic V, Stojanovic K, Stojanovic M, Stefanovic V. Prevention of nosocomial transmission of hepatitis C infection in a hemodialysis unit. A prospective study. Int J Artif Organs. 2000;23:181-8 pubmed..As a second line of prevention, in highly burdened dialysis centers, segregation of HCV positive patients can help control nosocomial transmission...
- Freitas T. Nursing experience with daily dialysis at El Camino Hospital. Nephrol Nurs J. 2002;29:167-9 pubmed..Patients at ECDS on daily dialysis demonstrate clinical improvement with a stable dialysis and fewer intradialytic symptoms. New technology for home and clinic is needed to improve efficiency and quality of care. ..
- Kovac J, Patel S, Peterson R, Kimmel P. Patient satisfaction with care and behavioral compliance in end-stage renal disease patients treated with hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;39:1236-44 pubmed..We conclude that a nephrologist has a crucial role in patient compliance. These results suggest interventions that improve patient perception of physician support may improve patient adjustment and possibly survival. ..
- Levin R, Miller L. Running water: designing the dialysis clinic water room. Part 1. Nephrol News Issues. 2003;17:65, 68-70 pubmed
- Froio N, Nicastri E, Comandini U, Cherubini C, Felicioni R, Solmone M, et al. Contamination by hepatitis B and C viruses in the dialysis setting. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;42:546-50 pubmed..Major attention should be given to strict adherence to infection control measures in the dialysis setting. ..
- Schwartz C, Merriman M, Reed G, Hammes B. Measuring patient treatment preferences in end-of-life care research: applications for advance care planning interventions and response shift research. J Palliat Med. 2004;7:233-45 pubmed..Clinical applications of the tool are discussed. ..
- Hooi L, Lim T, Goh A, Wong H, Tan C, Ahmad G, et al. Economic evaluation of centre haemodialysis and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis in Ministry of Health hospitals, Malaysia. Nephrology (Carlton). 2005;10:25-32 pubmed..It is economically viable to promote the use of both CAPD and haemodialysis because the cost effectiveness of both are nearly equal. ..
- Johnston B, Poole C, Zito D, Normansell D, Westervelt F, Farr B. Cohort study of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibody testing among patients receiving long-term dialysis at a university hospital. Am J Infect Control. 1988;16:235-40 pubmed
- Hosseini Moghaddam S, Keyvani H, Kasiri H, Kazemeyni S, Basiri A, Aghel N, et al. Distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes among hemodialysis patients in Tehran--a multicenter study. J Med Virol. 2006;78:569-73 pubmed..The duration of treatment by hemodialysis and, in turn, more hemodialysis unit changes will lead to more frequent HCV infections. ..
- Cusumano A, Garcia Garcia G, Di Gioia C, Hermida O, Lavorato C, Carreño C, et al. End-stage renal disease and its treatment in Latin America in the twenty-first century. Ren Fail. 2006;28:631-7 pubmed..Although the rate of kidney transplantation has increased, the number remains insufficient to match the growing demand. The implementation of renal health programs in the region is urgently needed. ..
- Krol V, Cunha B, Schoch P, Klein N. Appropriateness of empiric gentamicin and vancomycin therapy for bacteremias in chronic dialysis outpatient units in the era of antibiotic resistance. J Chemother. 2006;18:490-3 pubmed..We found amikacin is preferred to gentamicin and that meropenem is an effective alternate substitution for gentamicin and vancomycin combination therapy...
- Thompson N, Novak R, Datta D, Cotter S, Arduino M, Patel P, et al. Hepatitis C virus transmission in hemodialysis units: importance of infection control practices and aseptic technique. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009;30:900-3 pubmed publisher..Fastidious attention to aseptic technique and infection control precautions are essential to prevent HCV transmission. ..
- Murphy F. Using change in nursing practice: a case study approach. Nurs Manag (Harrow). 2006;13:22-5 pubmed
- Humar A, Oxley C, Sample M, Garber G. Elimination of an outbreak of gram-negative bacteremia in a hemodialysis unit. Am J Infect Control. 1996;24:359-63 pubmed..All dialysis tubing was to be disinfected before patient connection. Outbreak was due to contamination during dialysis setup. After institution of appropriate control measures, no new cases have occurred. ..
- Arogundade F, Sanusi A, Badmus T, Ibrahim A, Akinsola A. Internal jugular and subclavian catheterisation: indications, problems and prospects in a Nigerian dialysis centre. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2006;13:26-30 pubmed..We conclude that percutaneous bedside internal jugular and subclavian (venous) catheterisation using dual lumen catheter is safe and devoid of major complications. ..