Summary: Professionals who plan, organize and direct health education programs for the individual, groups and the community.
- Jasperse M, Herst P, Kane J. Evaluation of the training and support received by facilitators of a cancer education and support programme in New Zealand. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2012;21:224-32 pubmed publisher..The main drawbacks were limited access to support, lack of supervision and a perceived lack of appreciation from the organisation for the volunteer facilitators. ..
- Timpe E, Wuller W, Karpinski J. A regional poison prevention education service-learning project. Am J Pharm Educ. 2008;72:87 pubmed..Poison prevention education was an appropriate service-learning project for pharmacy students and provided a beneficial service to the community. ..
- Scain S, dos Santos B, Friedman R, Gross J. Type 2 diabetic patients attending a nurse educator have improved metabolic control. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2007;77:399-404 pubmed..Nurse education contributes significantly and independently for better metabolic control in DM2 outpatients in a teaching hospital. ..
- Taveras E, McDonald J, O Brien A, Haines J, Sherry B, Bottino C, et al. Healthy Habits, Happy Homes: methods and baseline data of a randomized controlled trial to improve household routines for obesity prevention. Prev Med. 2012;55:418-26 pubmed publisher..If proven to be effective, promotion of household routines related to family meals, sleep, and screen time may prevent young children from becoming overweight/obese. ..
- Polinski J, Brookhart M, Katz J, Arnold M, Kristeller J, Trombetta D, et al. Educational outreach (academic detailing) regarding osteoporosis in primary care. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2005;14:843-50 pubmed..43 per 5 years (95%CI 1.05, 1.96). A moderate rate of completed encounters was achieved. There was only one predictor of completed encounters. ..
- White M, Duong T, Cruz E, Rodas A, McCall C, Menendez E, et al. Strategies for effective education in a jail setting: the Tuberculosis Prevention Project. Health Promot Pract. 2003;4:422-9 pubmed..Jail is a setting in which the population is at high risk for a number of health problems and health education is increasingly important. ..
- Pinsky L, Robins L, benIzzy J. The story in medicine: skills for MDs. Med Educ. 2004;38:1200-1 pubmed
- Robins L, Pinsky L, Krichko M. Rowing towards leadership and teambuilding. Med Educ. 2004;38:1191-2 pubmed
- Gandelman A, Vogan S, Dolcini M. Assessing HIV prevention provider knowledge of behavior science theory: building on existing intuitive experience. Health Promot Pract. 2005;6:299-307 pubmed..Better translation of research into practice using theory-based interventions will benefit the field of STD/HIV prevention. ..
- Saito N. [The role of diabetes educator]. Nihon Rinsho. 2002;60 Suppl 10:518-21 pubmed
- Vijaykumar S, Wray R, Jupka K, Clarke R, Shahid M. Prostate cancer survivors as community health educators: implications for informed decision making and cancer communication. J Cancer Educ. 2013;28:623-8 pubmed publisher..little is known about their impact on psychosocial outcomes and their effectiveness compared to professional health educators. This study addressed these gaps through a quasi-experimental design where African American men attended a ..
- Chen L, Santos S, Jandorf L, Christie J, Castillo A, Winkel G, et al. A program to enhance completion of screening colonoscopy among urban minorities. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;6:443-50 pubmed publisher..This approach may help increase adherence with screening colonoscopy efforts in other clinical settings. ..
- Lieberman L, Golden S, Earp J. Structural approaches to health promotion: what do we need to know about policy and environmental change?. Health Educ Behav. 2013;40:520-5 pubmed publisher..This article addresses these issues and ends with a series of questions about the effectiveness and ethical implementation of what we have termed "structural initiatives." ..
- Gorrindo P, Peltz A, Ladner T, Reddy I, Miller B, Miller R, et al. Medical students as health educators at a student-run free clinic: improving the clinical outcomes of diabetic patients. Acad Med. 2014;89:625-31 pubmed publisher..Future studies should examine the educational and clinical value of care provided at SRFCs. ..
- Galiatsatos P, Hale W. Promoting Health and Wellness in Congregations Through Lay Health Educators: A Case Study of Two Churches. J Relig Health. 2016;55:288-95 pubmed publisher..Creating lay health educators to serve in these communities can promote health initiatives centered on education and accessing resources...
- Golin J. Re: Soft drinks, childhood overweight, and the role of nutrition educators: let's base our solutions on reality and sound science. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2006;38:1; author reply 1-2; discussion 2-3 pubmed
- Galer Unti R, Tappe M. Developing effective written communication and advocacy skills in entry-level health educators through writing-intensive program planning methods courses. Health Promot Pract. 2006;7:110-6 pubmed..planning methods courses in the development of written communication and advocacy skills in entry-level health educators and (b) to suggest strategies for planning, implementing, and assessing writing-intensive assignments and ..
- Hayden J. Multiple choices for certification. Health Promot Pract. 2005;6:258-62 pubmed
- Wu Z, Detels R, Ji G, Xu C, Rou K, Ding H, et al. Diffusion of HIV/AIDS knowledge, positive attitudes, and behaviors through training of health professionals in China. AIDS Educ Prev. 2002;14:379-90 pubmed..0% to 33.5% in health workers (p < .01) and from 8.7% to 18.5% among villagers (p <.01). The strategy wascost effective for improving knowledge and attitudes and promoting condom use. ..
- Freudenberg N. Training health educators for social change. 1984-85. Int Q Community Health Educ. 2005;25:63-77 pubmedHealth education practice reflects the ideology of the social forces that support it. Currently, health educators approach their task from two divergent viewpoints: one group emphasizes changing individual behavior while the other focuses ..
- Strong J, Hanson C, Magnusson B, Neiger B. Health Education Specialists' Knowledge, Attitudes, and Perceptions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Health Promot Pract. 2016;17:226-34 pubmed publisher..Directed and continuing education to HES regarding the ACA is warranted. ..
- Warholak T, Holdford D, West D, DeBake D, Bentley J, Malone D, et al. Perspectives on educating pharmacy students about the science of safety. Am J Pharm Educ. 2011;75:142 pubmed publisher..Minimum standards should be set to assist with curricular adoption of SoS. ..
- Tu S, Taylor V, Yasui Y, Chun A, Yip M, Acorda E, et al. Promoting culturally appropriate colorectal cancer screening through a health educator: a randomized controlled trial. Cancer. 2006;107:959-66 pubmed..Given the large effect size, future research should determine the effective core component(s) that can increase CRC screening in both the general and minority populations. ..
- Kramer M, McWilliams J, Chen H, Siminerio L. A community-based diabetes prevention program: evaluation of the group lifestyle balance program delivered by diabetes educators. Diabetes Educ. 2011;37:659-68 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, diabetes educators, already integrated within the existing health care system, provide yet another resource for delivery of primary prevention programs in the community. ..
- Allen S, Miller J, Ratner E, Santilli J. The educational and financial impact of using patient educators to teach introductory physical exam skills. Med Teach. 2011;33:911-8 pubmed publisher..In terms of sustainability and student performance, the use of trained lay educators has equivalent outcomes and is less costly for physical exam instruction in the pre-clinical years. ..
- Makkiawouda F, Elmukashfi T, Hag Al Tom S. Designing an educational and training program for diabetes health educators at Diabetic Health Centers, Khartoum State, Sudan; 2007-2010. Glob J Health Sci. 2013;5:207-11 pubmed publisher..The study focused on designing and implementing an educational and training program for health educators and to assess its effects on achievements of diabetes health educators; at Diabetic Health Centers in ..
- Jo A, Nguyen T, Stewart S, Sung M, Gildengorin G, Tsoh J, et al. Lay health educators and print materials for the promotion of colorectal cancer screening among Korean Americans: A randomized comparative effectiveness study. Cancer. 2017;123:2705-2715 pubmed publisher..More work is needed to appropriately address logistical and system barriers in this community. Cancer 2017;123:2705-15. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Speers M. The role of health education practitioners in the human research enterprise. Health Promot Pract. 2003;4:14-6 pubmed
- Hien L, Takano T, Seino K, Ohnishi M, Nakamura K. Effectiveness of a capacity-building program for community leaders in a healthy living environment: a randomized community-based intervention in rural Vietnam. Health Promot Int. 2008;23:354-64 pubmed publisher..Community leaders, who are representatives of various sectors and mass organizations within the community, can be important implementers in the promotion of a healthy living environment. ..
- Deshler A, Cheney L, Villejo L. National survey of cancer educators: salary and budget. Health Promot Pract. 2005;6:240-5 pubmed..This article highlights lessons learned and offers suggestions for using this information in a broader capacity for other cancer patient educators and patient educators in general. ..
- Plantinga L, Pham H, Fink N, Rubin H, Jaar B, Powe N. Use of dialysis educators beyond nurses and physicians and outcomes in patients with kidney failure. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2005;12:424-32 pubmed..Use of nonmedical staff for patient education at dialysis centers has a limited but positive effect on patient satisfaction and hospitalization. ..
- Luquis R, Pérez M. Cultural competency among school health educators. J Cult Divers. 2006;13:217-22 pubmedChanging demographics in the American classroom make it imperative for school health educators to possess the ability to deliver health education in a manner that takes into account students' cultural backgrounds and practices...
- Stather D, Jarand J, Silvestri G, Tremblay A. An evaluation of procedural training in Canadian respirology fellowship programs: program directors' and fellows' perspectives. Can Respir J. 2009;16:55-9 pubmed..Exposure and training in advanced diagnostic and therapeutic procedures is minimal. A concerted effort to improve procedural training is required to improve these results. ..
- Lee C, Soin H, Einarson T. Statistics in the pharmacy literature. Ann Pharmacother. 2004;38:1412-8 pubmed
- Dennis S, Williams A, Taggart J, Newall A, Denney Wilson E, Zwar N, et al. Which providers can bridge the health literacy gap in lifestyle risk factor modification education: a systematic review and narrative synthesis. BMC Fam Pract. 2012;13:44 pubmed publisher..Capacity to provide interventions of sufficient intensity is an important condition for effective health literacy support for lifestyle change. This has implications for workforce development and the organisation of primary health care. ..
- Smith M, Shurtz S. Search and ye shall find: practical literature review techniques for health educators. Health Promot Pract. 2012;13:666-9 pubmed publisherThrough a perusal of current published literature, health educators can locate resources for theses, dissertations, or manuscripts for scholarly publication or plan/develop health promotion programs or disease prevention interventions...
- Dickin K, Dollahite J, Habicht J. Job satisfaction and retention of community nutrition educators: the importance of perceived value of the program, consultative supervision, and work relationships. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010;42:337-44 pubmed publisher..Intrinsically motivating work, often viewed as the domain of professionals, is critical for the morale and retention of paraprofessional nutrition educators. ..
- Berger D, Courty P. [Opinions, perceptions and description of cannabis amongst future health educators in training in France]. Sante Publique. 2007;19:383-99 pubmed..As health educators in training, they were subject to the completion of an adapted version of the EROPP survey (Exploring the ..
- Wingood G, Diclemente R, Villamizar K, Er D, DeVarona M, Taveras J, et al. Efficacy of a health educator-delivered HIV prevention intervention for Latina women: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Public Health. 2011;101:2245-52 pubmed publisher..009) and perceived fewer barriers to using condoms (P < .001). Our results support the efficacy of this linguistically and culturally adapted HIV intervention among ethnically diverse, predominantly foreign-born Latina women. ..
- Hayden J, Cottrell R, Green L, Ames E, Ramsey D. Professional development in retirement: the top rung on the career ladder. Health Promot Pract. 2008;9:232-6 pubmed publisher..For all, it is a time of significant change. Three prominent "retired" health educators share with us their retirement expectations, realities, and advice.
- Glascoff M, Johnson H, Glascoff W, Lovelace K, Bibeau D. A profile of public health educators in North Carolina's local health departments. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2005;11:528-36 pubmed..A survey was administered to all practicing health educators at local health departments (LHDs) in North Carolina...
- Vaughan C, Reddy P, Dunbar J. From rural beginnings to statewide roll-out: Evaluation of facilitator training for a group-based diabetes prevention program. Aust J Rural Health. 2010;18:59-65 pubmed publisher..Improvement in confidence scores in facilitating a group-based diabetes prevention program, irrespective of previous training and experience, show that program-specific skill development activities are necessary in curriculum design. ..
- Griscti O, Jacono B, Jacono J. The Nurse Educator's clinical role. J Adv Nurs. 2005;50:84-92 pubmed..However, they also thought that they often did not take the opportunity to forge links with professional staff. The clinical role of the Maltese nurse educator needs to be more multifaceted in approach. ..
- Johnson H, Glascoff M, Lovelace K, Bibeau D, Tyler E. Assessment of public health educator practice: health educator responsibilities. Health Promot Pract. 2005;6:89-96 pubmedThis study presents a method for better understanding how practicing health educators in local health departments spend their time...
- Ginsberg B. Bringing HOPE for diabetes treatment to China. Adv Nurse Pract. 2003;11:71 pubmed
- Chen L, Goodson P. Barriers to adopting genomics into public health education: a mixed methods study. Genet Med. 2009;11:104-10 pubmed publisherTo examine public health educators' perceptions of barriers to incorporate genomic content (information, discoveries, technologies) into health promotion...
- Shepherd S. Patient educators. All about the individual. Health Serv J. 2008;Suppl:12-3 pubmed
- Shive S, Marks R. Health educators' perceptions of ethics in professional preparation and practice. Health Promot Pract. 2008;9:228-31 pubmed publisherThis commentary reflects health educators' views concerning perceptions of the need for increased awareness of the Code of Ethics for the Health Education Profession, improvement in professionals' ability to engage in ethical reflection, ..
- Chen L, Goodson P. Genomics education training needs of U.S. health educators: a (qualitative) pilot study. Health Promot Pract. 2013;14:44-52 pubmed publisher..S. health educators to develop their genomic competencies...
- Wistoft K. Pedagogical competence and value clarification among health educators. Glob Health Promot. 2009;16:24-34 pubmed publisherIndividual and social values are increasingly important in health education. This article examines how health educators in Greenland and Denmark engage in value clarification as part of their educational practices...
- Fertman C. Health educators are leaders: meeting the leadership challenge. Health Promot Pract. 2003;4:336-9 pubmedEach of the certified health education specialist responsibilities and competencies for health educators has a leadership element. Health educators demonstrate leadership in a variety of roles with individuals, organizations, and programs...