practice guidelines as topic
Summary: Works on directions or principles presenting current or future rules of policy for assisting health care practitioners in patient care decisions regarding diagnosis, therapy, or related clinical circumstances. The guidelines may be developed by government agencies at any level, institutions, professional societies, governing boards, or by the convening of expert panels. The guidelines form a basis for the evaluation of all aspects of health care and delivery.
- Huang S, Wu E, Chen S, Huang C, Shih J, Chou H, et al. Surgical Strategy Toward Biventricular Repair for Severe Ebstein Anomaly in Neonates and Infancy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:917-925 pubmed publisher..This surgical strategy has a good survival outcome and preserves the possibility of complete biventricular repair. ..
- Rolin Gilman C, Fournier B, Cleverley K. Implementing Best Practice Guidelines in Pain Assessment and Management on a Women's Psychiatric Inpatient Unit: Exploring Patients' Perceptions. Pain Manag Nurs. 2017;18:170-178 pubmed publisher..Many clinicians working in mental health are knowledgeable about these therapies, but may not be aware of the application to managing physical pain. ..
- Beverly A, Kaye A, Ljungqvist O, Urman R. Essential Elements of Multimodal Analgesia in Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Guidelines. Anesthesiol Clin. 2017;35:e115-e143 pubmed publisher..We describe current evidence and important future directions for effective perioperative multimodal analgesia in enhanced recovery pathways. ..
- Dunn N, Neff L, Maurer D. A stepwise approach to pediatric asthma. J Fam Pract. 2017;66:280-286 pubmed..Two guidelines and several recent studies are available to guide your care. This review--with handy figure--puts it all at your fingertips. ..
- Heinz W, Buchheidt D, Christopeit M, von Lilienfeld Toal M, Cornely O, Einsele H, et al. Diagnosis and empirical treatment of fever of unknown origin (FUO) in adult neutropenic patients: guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Working Party (AGIHO) of the German Society of Hematology and Medical Oncology (DGHO). Ann Hematol. 2017;96:1775-1792 pubmed publisher..This guideline updates recommendations for diagnosis and empirical therapy of fever of unknown origin in adult neutropenic cancer patients in light of the challenges of antimicrobial stewardship. ..
- McIntyre R, Suppes T, Tandon R, Ostacher M. Florida Best Practice Psychotherapeutic Medication Guidelines for Adults With Major Depressive Disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017;78:703-713 pubmed publisher..The FPG have purposefully aimed to minimize emphasis on "expert opinion" and instead differentially emphasized extant evidence for pharmacologic treatments. ..
- Lambert M, Gernsheimer T. Clinical updates in adult immune thrombocytopenia. Blood. 2017;129:2829-2835 pubmed publisher..Novel therapeutics are in development to address ongoing treatment gaps. ..
- Saleem R, Keymer C, Patel D, Egner W, Rowbottom A. UK NEQAS survey of allergen component testing across the United Kingdom and other European countries. Clin Exp Immunol. 2017;188:387-393 pubmed publisher..Consequently, there is a need for local or national standards and education through External Quality Assurance services on the performance and application of CRD into allergy investigation. ..
- GÃ³mez Outes A, SuÃ¡rez Gea M, GarcÃa Pinilla J. Causes of death in atrial fibrillation: Challenges and opportunities. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2017;27:494-503 pubmed publisher..g., frequent presence of cardiovascular risk factors and co-morbidities, physicians adherence to clinical guidelines and patients adherence to cardiovascular medications in AF) as well as the opportunities for intervention. ..
- Soufer A, Riello R, Desai N, Testani J, Ahmad T. A Blueprint for the Post Discharge Clinic Visit after an Admission for Heart Failure. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;60:237-248 pubmed publisher..The objective of this review is to provide a blueprint for the PDV that will allow clinicians to construct the key elements of the PDV in a patient-centered fashion that is firmly rooted in the guidelines. ..
- ..This review will focus on the currently available clinical guidelines for doing so. ..
- Reper P, Dicker D, Damas P, Huyghens L, Haelterman M. Improving the quality of the intensive care follow-up of ventilated patients during a national registration program. Public Health. 2017;148:159-166 pubmed publisher..This study confirms the applicability of best practice guidelines about regular care but results on VAP incidence have to be confirmed. ..
- Balis F, Womer R, Berg S, Winick N, Adamson P, Fox E. Dosing anticancer drugs in infants: Current approach and recommendations from the Children's Oncology Group's Chemotherapy Standardization Task Force. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017;64: pubmed publisher..The new method uses BSA dose banding in dosing tables for infants and children with a BSA <0.6 m2 and gradually transitions from body weight based to BSA-based dosing. ..
- Greywal T, Zaenglein A, Baldwin H, Bhatia N, Chernoff K, Del Rosso J, et al. Evidence-based recommendations for the management of acne fulminans and its variants. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:109-117 pubmed publisher..These guidelines better characterize AF and provide health care practitioners approaches to the classification, treatment, and prevention of AF and its variants. ..
- Brinkert M, Southern D, James M, Knudtson M, Anderson T, Charbonneau F. Incidence and Prognostic Implications of Late Bleeding After Myocardial Infarction or Unstable Angina According to Treatment Strategy. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:998-1005 pubmed publisher..96; 95% CI, 2.47-9.93). Patients who underwent revascularization procedures had a relatively low risk for late bleeding events after a hospitalization for ACS. Late bleeding events were associated with an increased risk of death. ..
- Fendler W, Eiber M, Beheshti M, Bomanji J, Ceci F, Cho S, et al. 68Ga-PSMA PET/CT: Joint EANM and SNMMI procedure guideline for prostate cancer imaging: version 1.0. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2017;44:1014-1024 pubmed publisher..These recommendations will help to improve accuracy, precision, and repeatability of 68Ga-PSMA PET/CT for prostate cancer essentially needed for implementation of this modality in science and routine clinical practice. ..
- Zhang P, Zheng C. [Interpretation of the International Joint Statement on Metabolic Surgery in the Treatment Algorithm for Type 2 Diabetes]. Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2017;20:372-377 pubmed..For patients achieving complete remission from T2DM, diabetes complications should still be monitored within five years after surgery with the same frequency and protocols as pre-operatively. ..
- Ciffone N, Dokken B. Medical management of acute coronary syndromes. J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2017;29:224-235 pubmed publisher..Management of ACS is dependent on individual patient characteristics and risk stratification. Greater choice among therapies available for acute and long-term management will help to achieve optimal, patient-tailored care. ..
- Zhu S, Li Y, Huang W, Jiang H, Li S, Chen L, et al. [Feasibility of the 2014 European guidelines risk prediction model for sudden cardiac death in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in Chinese patients]. Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi. 2017;45:404-408 pubmed publisher..38)%???SCD??????1.27%?25.00%?14.29%?2011?AHA?HCM??SCD??????AUC?0.87(95%CI 0.75?0.98)?2014?ESC??HCM Risk?SCD AUC?0.93(95%CI 0.85?1.00)? ??? ???HCM Risk?SCD???SCD?????????????????2011?AHA?HCM????SCD???????????????. ..
- Binder W, Thorsen J, Borczuk P. RSV in adult ED patients: Do emergency providers consider RSV as an admission diagnosis?. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1162-1165 pubmed publisher..Given antiviral treatment options, educational efforts should be undertaken to raise awareness of RSV in adults. ..
- Chikaodinaka Ayuk A, Ubesie A, Laura Odimegwu C, Iloh K. Use of Global initiative for asthma (GINA) guidelines in asthma management among paediatric residents in a Sub Saharan African country: a cross-sectional descriptive study. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:120 pubmed publisher..05). The use of the GINA guidelines was poor among paediatric residents. Application of contents rather than just availability of asthma guidelines may partly account for increasing asthma prevalence globally. ..
- Anderson K, Heidinger B, Chen Y, Bankier A, VanderLaan P. Measurement Bias of Gross Pathologic Compared With Radiologic Tumor Size of Resected Lung Adenocarcinomas: Implications for the T-Stage Revisions in the Eighth Edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer Staging Manual. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;147:641-648 pubmed publisher..Compared to radiologic measurements, gross pathologic measurements cluster around whole- and half-cm values. This measurement bias could lead to incorrect pathologic tumor staging and influence clinical treatment plans. ..
- Seymour L, Bogaerts J, Perrone A, Ford R, Schwartz L, Mandrekar S, et al. iRECIST: guidelines for response criteria for use in trials testing immunotherapeutics. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:e143-e152 pubmed publisher..This guideline will allow consistent conduct, interpretation, and analysis of trials of immunotherapies. ..
- Taylor C. Importance of nutrition in preventing and treating pressure ulcers. Nurs Older People. 2017;29:33-39 pubmed publisher..It also aims to highlight how improving nutritional intake helps to prevent pressure ulcers. On completing the article, readers will be able to consider and review their own practice. ..
- Gravholt C, Andersen N, Conway G, Dekkers O, Geffner M, Klein K, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the care of girls and women with Turner syndrome: proceedings from the 2016 Cincinnati International Turner Syndrome Meeting. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:G1-G70 pubmed publisher..Advocacy groups appointed representatives who participated in pre-meeting discussions and in the consensus meeting. ..
- Ruhl D, Siegal G. Medical Malpractice Implications of Clinical Practice Guidelines. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;157:175-177 pubmed publisher..These guidelines must be very clear and underscore the various strengths of recommendation based on the quality of available evidence. ..
- Navari R. Management of Chemotherapy-Induced Nausea and Vomiting in Pediatric Patients. Paediatr Drugs. 2017;19:213-222 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, practitioners should follow international antiemetic guidelines to provide patients with the specific antiemetics in the recommended dose for the highest possible quality of care. ..
- Hong A, Kim J, Park K, Kim K, Lee J, Kong S, et al. Optimal follow-up strategies for adrenal incidentalomas: reappraisal of the 2016 ESE-ENSAT guidelines in real clinical practice. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:475-483 pubmed publisher..We advocate that no follow-up imaging is required if the detected adrenal mass is <4?cm and has clear benign features. However, prospective studies with longer follow-up are needed to confirm the appropriate follow-up strategies. ..
- Thiels C, Holst K, Ubl D, McKenzie T, Zielinski M, Farley D, et al. Gender disparities in the utilization of laparoscopic groin hernia repair. J Surg Res. 2017;210:59-68 pubmed publisher..Although we are unable to ascertain underlying causes for these gender disparities, these data suggest that there remains a disparity in the management of groin hernias in women. ..
- Randall L, Pothuri B, Swisher E, Diaz J, Buchanan A, Witkop C, et al. Multi-disciplinary summit on genetics services for women with gynecologic cancers: A Society of Gynecologic Oncology White Paper. Gynecol Oncol. 2017;146:217-224 pubmed publisher..Consensus building among all stakeholders resulted in an action plan to address gaps in education of gynecologic oncology providers and delivery of cancer genetics care. ..
- Pezeshk R, Sieber D, Rohrich R. The Six-Step Lower Blepharoplasty: Using Fractionated Fat to Enhance Blending of the Lid-Cheek Junction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139:1381-1383 pubmed publisher..This added step will enhance overall facial rejuvenation, is reproducible, and will provide patients with exceptional outcomes. ..
- Wilby K, Johnson E, Johnson H, Ensom M. Evidence-Based Review of Pharmacotherapy Used for Parkinson's Disease Psychosis. Ann Pharmacother. 2017;51:682-695 pubmed publisher..Overall risk of bias across all studies was moderate to high. Despite lack of rigor in study designs, published data to date suggest that clozapine and pimavanserin should be considered drugs of choice to treat PD psychosis. ..
- Eichenfield L, Ahluwalia J, Waldman A, Borok J, Udkoff J, Boguniewicz M. Current guidelines for the evaluation and management of atopic dermatitis: A comparison of the Joint Task Force Practice Parameter and American Academy of Dermatology guidelines. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017;139:S49-S57 pubmed publisher
- Miller C, Shin T, Sobanko J, Sharkey J, Grunyk J, Elenitsas R, et al. Risk factors for positive or equivocal margins after wide local excision of 1345 cutaneous melanomas. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:333-340.e1 pubmed publisher..Clinicopathologic factors, especially location in cosmetically or functionally sensitive areas and noncompliance with recommended surgical margins, identified melanomas at increased risk for positive or equivocal margins after WLE. ..
- Baldassari C. Do Clinical Practice Guidelines Improve Quality?. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;157:5-6 pubmed publisher..Future initiatives are needed to improve CPG adherence and define the impact of CPG recommendations on the quality of otolaryngologic care provided to our patients. ..
- Krawczyk P, Tarczynska A, Dziadek G, Gołębiowski M, Kononowicz A, Andres J. Implementation of targeted temperature management after cardiac arrest in Polish intensive care units. What has changed in the last five years?. Kardiol Pol. 2017;75:689-697 pubmed publisher..Targeted temperature management is underused in Polish ICUs. There is a need for additional educational and implementation efforts supporting the translation of knowledge into clinical practice at the regional and national levels. ..
- Anantharaman A, Small E. Tackling non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: special considerations in treatment. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2017;17:625-633 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, technological advances in imaging may have a significant impact on this future of this disease state. ..
- Bankier A, Macmahon H, Goo J, Rubin G, Schaefer Prokop C, Naidich D. Recommendations for Measuring Pulmonary Nodules at CT: A Statement from the Fleischner Society. Radiology. 2017;285:584-600 pubmed publisher..sup>Â© RSNA, 2017 Online supplemental material is available for this article. ..
- Humes L, Rogers S, Quigley T, Main A, Kinney D, Herring C. The Effects of Service-Delivery Model and Purchase Price on Hearing-Aid Outcomes in Older Adults: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Am J Audiol. 2017;26:53-79 pubmed publisher..Purchase price had no effect on outcomes, but a high percentage of those who rejected hearing aids paid the typical price (85%). Clinicaltrials.gov: NCT01788432; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01788423. ..
- Virgo K, Basch E, Loblaw D, Oliver T, Rumble R, Carducci M, et al. Second-Line Hormonal Therapy for Men With Chemotherapy-Naïve, Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology Provisional Clinical Opinion. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:1952-1964 pubmed publisher..Additional information is available at www.asco.org/genitourinary-cancer-guidelines and www.asco.org/guidelineswiki . ..
- Foreman J, Keel S, Xie J, van Wijngaarden P, Taylor H, Dirani M. Adherence to diabetic eye examination guidelines in Australia: the National Eye Health Survey. Med J Aust. 2017;206:402-406 pubmed..A carefully integrated diabetic retinopathy screening service is needed, particularly in remote areas, to improve adherence rates. ..
- Spencer M, Lenhart A, Baker J, Dickens J, Weissman A, Read A, et al. Primary care physicians are under-testing for celiac disease in patients with iron deficiency anemia: Results of a national survey. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184754 pubmed publisher..The majority of PCPs surveyed reported they do not strictly adhere to established guidelines regarding a confirmatory duodenal biopsy in a patient with positive serology for CD. ..
- Thornton K, Mitchell M. Autonomic dysfunction: A guide for FPs. J Fam Pract. 2017;66:539-543 pubmed..Impotence, bladder dysfunction, GI symptoms, and orthostatic hypotension can signal autonomic dysfunction. Here's what you'll see and how to respond. ..
- Athanazio R, Silva Filho L, Vergara A, Ribeiro A, Riedi C, Procianoy E, et al. Brazilian guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of cystic fibrosis. J Bras Pneumol. 2017;43:219-245 pubmed publisher..A literatura disponível foi pesquisada na base de dados PubMed com palavras-chave, buscando-se as melhores respostas às perguntas dos autores. ..
- Maturen K, Blaty A, Wasnik A, Patel Lippmann K, Robbins J, Barroilhet L, et al. Risk Stratification of Adnexal Cysts and Cystic Masses: Clinical Performance of Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Guidelines. Radiology. 2017;285:650-659 pubmed publisher..Selecting MR imaging when it is an option in the guidelines would have reduced the number of benign cysts sent for surgical evaluation. © RSNA, 2017. ..
- Nelson J. Indications and appropriateness of caesarean sections performed in a tertiary referral centre in Uganda: a retrospective descriptive study. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;26:64 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to identify indications for caesareans and whether the decision to perform caesareans was appropriate in order to improve care, and whether the above interventions had an impact on this process...
- Rao R, Gaw S, Han C, Platt L, Silverman N. Zika Risk and Pregnancy in Clinical Practice: Ongoing Experience as the Outbreak Evolves. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;129:1098-1103 pubmed publisher..To describe a single U.S. perinatal center's ongoing experience with evaluating pregnant patients with potential exposure to Zika virus infection...