Summary: The teaching staff and members of the administrative staff having academic rank in a dental school.
- Hillenburg K, Cederberg R, Gray S, Hurst C, Johnson G, Potter B. E-learning and the future of dental education: opinions of administrators and information technology specialists. Eur J Dent Educ. 2006;10:169-77 pubmed..General agreement was noted with regard to vision, challenges, role of faculty and need for collaboration. ..
- Formicola A, Valachovic R, Chmar J, Mouradian W, Bertolami C, Tedesco L, et al. Curriculum and clinical training in oral health for physicians and dentists: report of panel 2 of the Macy study. J Dent Educ. 2008;72:73-85 pubmed
- Yoshida T, Milgrom P, Coldwell S. How do U.S. and Canadian dental schools teach interpersonal communication skills?. J Dent Educ. 2002;66:1281-8 pubmed..This research suggests a need for reevaluation of teaching in this subject area. ..
- Bochner D, Badovinac R, Howell T, Karimbux N. Tutoring in a problem-based curriculum: expert versus nonexpert. J Dent Educ. 2002;66:1246-51 pubmed..The findings of this study underscore the importance of the retention of dental faculty with PBL experience in a PBL-based curriculum.
- Hempton T, Drakos D, Likhari V, Hanley J, Johnson L, Levi P, et al. Strategies for developing a culture of mentoring in postdoctoral periodontology. J Dent Educ. 2008;72:577-84 pubmed..The intent of this article is to review the current crisis in dental faculty recruitment and retention, show how it affects the specialty of periodontics, and describe how creating a ..
- Goodacre C. Loma Linda University School of Dentistry--from dream to reality. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2002;30:731-4 pubmed
- Itaya L, Glassman P, Gregorczyk S, Bailit H. Dental school patients with limited English proficiency: the California experience. J Dent Educ. 2009;73:1055-64 pubmed..To comply with federal laws, dental schools are confronted with the challenge of covering the cost of providing language services to LEP patients. ..
- Kóbor A. [Continuing dental education in Hungary from the beginnings to the turn of the millenium--for the 80th anniversary of birth and 15th anniversary of death of Professor Dr. Sándor Orsós]. Fogorv Sz. 2008;101:83-9 pubmed..In Hungary the traditional old system survived 10 years after the regime change. ..
- Barnett M. University-industry relationships in dentistry: past, present, future. J Dent Educ. 2002;66:1163-8 pubmed
- Lindauer S, Peck S, Tufekci E, Coffey T, Best A. The crisis in orthodontic education: goals and perceptions. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2003;124:480-7 pubmed..It is in the best interest of orthodontics to resolve the crisis in education if it is to maintain its well-respected status among dental and medical specialties. ..
- Philabosian D. Leadership as a passionate expression. J Am Coll Dent. 2004;71:30-2 pubmed..for responsible leadership in their careers and communities." She also describes the passionate leadership of the dental school dean, Arthur A. Dugoni, and of three graduates of the school. ..
- Holmes R, Blalock J, Parker M, Haywood V. Student accuracy and evaluation of a computer-based audience response system. J Dent Educ. 2006;70:1355-61 pubmed..Questionnaire responses also showed that students preferred teacher-managed assessments. The hypothesis was disproved. The overall response to this audience response system and its methods of gathering information was very positive. ..
- Valenza J, George L, O Neill P. A model for clinical credentialing of dental school faculty. J Dent Educ. 2005;69:870-8 pubmed
- Larsen T, Jeppe Jensen D. The introduction and perception of an OSCE with an element of self- and peer-assessment. Eur J Dent Educ. 2008;12:2-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this interdisciplinary OSCE stressing constructive feedback to the students was perceived very positively by students and teachers and recognised for its beneficial possibilities in education and assessment. ..
- Nassri M, Carlik J, da Silva C, Okagawa R, Lin S. Critical analysis of artificial teeth for endodontic teaching. J Appl Oral Sci. 2008;16:43-9 pubmed..4, in a 0-10 scale. In conclusion, the artificial teeth have potential to replace the natural teeth in endodontic teaching; however, improvements are still necessary to reach a better quality model. ..
- Connor J, Troendle K. Perspectives on the dental school learning environment: putting theory X and theory Y into action in dental education. J Dent Educ. 2008;72:1436-9 pubmed..quot; ..
- Alexander S. Changes in orthodontic care patterns in a predoctoral children's dentistry clinic. J Dent Educ. 2007;71:1549-53 pubmed..The overall clinical experience at the predoctoral level in orthodontic procedures declined, which resulted in a change in clinical requirements and new methods to ensure clinical competency. ..
- Rosenstiel S, Johnston W. Goals, costs, and outcomes of a predoctoral student research program. J Dent Educ. 2002;66:1368-73 pubmed..5 times more likely to complete specialty training, nearly five times more likely to become full-time faculty members, and 32 percent more likely to be donors. ..
- Hendricson W, Anderson E, Andrieu S, Chadwick D, Cole J, George M, et al. Does faculty development enhance teaching effectiveness?. J Dent Educ. 2007;71:1513-33 pubmed
- Oliver R, Kersten H, Vinkka Puhakka H, Alpasan G, Bearn D, Cema I, et al. Curriculum structure: principles and strategy. Eur J Dent Educ. 2008;12 Suppl 1:74-84 pubmed publisher..The report may have a European bias as progress is made to converge and enhance educational standards in 29 countries with different educational approaches - a microcosm of global collaboration. ..
- Stark P, Mitchell D. Bridging the gap--vocational trainee to senior house officer: a new induction course. Br Dent J. 2003;194:167-71 pubmed..It was possible to design and deliver an appropriate induction course, which appeared to meet most of the needs of new dental SHOs. Feedback indicated the need for modification of some aspects of the course. ..
- Marquez I, Andrews C, Matthews D, Clovis J. From clinician to researcher--a first-hand account. J Can Dent Assoc. 2007;73:247-51 pubmed..Although neither had previous clinical research experience, both were interested in broadening their horizons by engaging in research in the hope of attaining a variety of positive outcomes. ..
- Johnsen D. The importance of the (endangered) clinical scholar to the future of dental education. J Dent Educ. 2003;67:294 pubmed
- Welie J. The ethics of roles. J Am Coll Dent. 2003;70:45-9 pubmed..The psycho-social, pedagogical, meta-ethical, and moral implications of faculty roles are examined. An example is given of how faculty assume this responsibility as they accept membership in the school community. ..
- Rushton V, Qualtrough A, Al Masserah Y, Rushton M. The influence of coronal tooth tissue in the diagnosis of apical pathosis. Int Endod J. 2009;42:603-8 pubmed publisher..The status of coronal tooth tissue had a major impact on the diagnostic accuracy of the observers with limited radiological experience supporting the need for earlier radiological training within the undergraduate curriculum. ..
- Dykhouse V, Grubb J, Greco P. The role of part-time educators in defining knowledge and skill levels in orthodontic residency programs. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004;126:523 pubmed
- Rowland M, Bean C, Casamassimo P. A snapshot of cultural competency education in US dental schools. J Dent Educ. 2006;70:982-90 pubmed..Thirty-three of the thirty-four U.S. dental schools responding to this survey offer some form of coursework in cultural competency with little standardization and a variety of methods and strategies to teach dental students. ..
- Wallace J, Infante T. Outcomes assessment of dental hygiene clinical teaching workshops. J Dent Educ. 2008;72:1169-76 pubmed..Responses revealed that programs had made productive changes to their clinical education curricula and the information gained from the workshops had a positive effect on clinical teaching. ..
- Sonntag D, Bärwald R, Hulsmann M, Stachniss V. Pre-clinical endodontics: a survey amongst German dental schools. Int Endod J. 2008;41:863-8 pubmed publisher..Pre-clinical endodontic education varied considerably between German universities because of differences in programme design, staff and course content. ..
- Haden N, Hendricson W, Killip J, O Neill P, Reed M, Weinstein G, et al. Developing dental faculty for the future: ADEA/AAL Institute for Teaching and Learning, 2006-09. J Dent Educ. 2009;73:1320-35 pubmed..In summary, the ADEA/AAL ITL is addressing an unmet need through a formal professional development program designed to help new and potential faculty members thrive as educators and become future leaders in academic health care. ..
- Treasure E. Dental workforce issues in the United Kingdom. J Dent Educ. 2004;68:23-5 pubmed
- Bookhan V, Becker L, Oosthuizen M. Criteria referenced student self-assesment in restorative dentistry. SADJ. 2005;60:161-6 pubmed..05). There were no significant differences between student self-assessment and supervisor-assessment. The criteria referenced assessment system used to assess clinical competency in Restorative Dentistry is valid and reliable. ..
- Cotgreave P. Career crises. Br Dent J. 2005;199:407 pubmed
- Wee C. Cultivating interest. Br Dent J. 2006;201:66 pubmed
- Boutwell B. The University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston: 100 years in the making. Tex Dent J. 2005;122:230-5 pubmed
- Mjor I. PhD in dentistry for clinician-scientists. J Dent Res. 2004;83:662-3 pubmed
- Masella R. Confronting shibboleths of dental education. J Dent Educ. 2005;69:1089-94 pubmed..Nine shibboleths are presented as common beliefs of dental faculty and administrators. Evidence contradicting the veracity of the "obvious truths" is offered...
- Forna N. [International Congress of Dental Medicine. Celebration of Dental Faculty days, the 12-th edition, Ia?i]. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2008;112:272-5 pubmed
- Scott J, De Vries J, Iacopino A. 25-year analysis of a dental undergraduate research training program (BSc Dent) at the University of Manitoba Faculty of Dentistry. J Dent Res. 2008;87:1085-8 pubmed..This information may be useful in the design and implementation of dental student research programs at other dental schools. ..
- Andrews K, Smith L, Henzi D, Demps E. Faculty and student perceptions of academic integrity at U.S. and Canadian dental schools. J Dent Educ. 2007;71:1027-39 pubmed..The challenge for dental schools is to identify effective strategies to prevent cheating opportunities and to implement and enforce effective means of dealing with specific examples of cheating. ..
- Cooper L. Prosthodontics and the American College of Prosthodontists: a specialty's contribution to improving oral health care. J Am Coll Dent. 2009;76:27-30 pubmed
- Seabra R, Costa F, Costa J, Van Dyke T, Soares R. Impact of clinical experience on the accuracy of probing depth measurements. Quintessence Int. 2008;39:559-65 pubmed..Dental schools must evaluate if the methodology employed to teach the use of conventional manual probing is effectively qualifying their students for dental practice. ..
- Atchison K, Bachand W, Buchanan C, Lefever K, Lin S, Engelhardt R. Military and VA general dentistry training: a national resource. J Dent Educ. 2002;66:739-46 pubmed
- Miller P. AAP President's address. J Periodontol. 2008;79:199-201 pubmed
- Hobson R, Walmsley A. Role models in academic dentistry. Br Dent J. 2006;200:479 pubmed
- Henzi D, Davis E, Jasinevicius R, Hendricson W. North American dental students' perspectives about their clinical education. J Dent Educ. 2006;70:361-77 pubmed..challenge: what instructional techniques should be integrated into routine educational practice by the dental faculty of the future, and what aspects of the clinical learning environment should be addressed to improve the ..
- Claffey N. The Dean speaks out. J Ir Dent Assoc. 2005;51:134-5 pubmed
- Dhir I, Tishk M, Tira D, Holt L. Ethnic and racial minority students in U.S. entry-level dental hygiene programs: a national survey. J Dent Hyg. 2002;76:193-201 pubmed
- Geist J, Katz J. The use of radiation dose-reduction techniques in the practices of dental faculty members. J Dent Educ. 2002;66:697-702 pubmed..utilize dose-reducing techniques to degrees that are comparable to or greater than reported usage by non-dental faculty practitioners...
- Sweet J, Wilson J, Pugsley L, Schofield M. Tools to share good chairside teaching practice: a clinical scenario and appreciative questionnaire. Br Dent J. 2008;205:603-6 pubmed publisher..A further accompanying article reviews some of the educational methodology and innovations in teaching and learning that may be applied to dentistry. ..
- Ranney R, Haden N, Weaver R, Valachovic R. A survey of deans and ADEA activities on dental licensure issues. J Dent Educ. 2003;67:1149-60 pubmed
- Elangovan S, Allareddy V, Singh F, Taneja P, Karimbux N. Indian dental education in the new millennium: challenges and opportunities. J Dent Educ. 2010;74:1011-6 pubmed..The aim of this article is to discuss these issues in preparing the Indian dental workforce for the challenges of India's growing economy and population. ..