Summary: Long-term maintenance hemodialysis in the home.
- Wise M, Schatell D, Klicko K, Burdan A, Showers M. Successful daily home hemodialysis patient-care partner dyads: benefits outweigh burdens. Hemodial Int. 2010;14:278-88 pubmed publisherUnderstanding and communicating the benefits vs. burdens of short daily home hemodialysis (SDHD) is presumed to be important to the success of recruiting patients and care partners and preventing dropout...
- Casey J, Johnson V, McClelland P. Impact of stepped verbal and written reinforcement of fluid balance advice within an outpatient haemodialysis unit: a pilot study. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2002;15:43-7 pubmed..504). The pilot study suggests that further studies with greater numbers and a control group would have a useful contribution to make in this field. ..
- Moran J. Technical advances in home dialysis. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2009;16:215-20 pubmed publisherRecently, multiple initiatives to produce dedicated and simplified hemodialysis machines for home hemodialysis (HHD) have begun. Most have been designed for short daily hemodialysis 6 times per week...
- Doki K, Torii A, Ueda A, Aoki T. [Development of an automatic measurement system of biological signals]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2003;30:116-9 pubmed..These subsystems are connected through wireless communication, allowing remote observation of patients' biological signals. ..
- McFarland H. Surviving a 500-year flood. Nephrol Nurs J. 2001;28:504-6, 509-10 pubmed..The stories describing what happened during that time provide the information necessary to be ready for future disasters. Included is a quality improvement plan developed by one outpatient dialysis center after the flood. ..
- Moran J, Kraus M. Starting a home hemodialysis program. Semin Dial. 2007;20:35-9 pubmedb>Home hemodialysis is not a new therapy; rather it is a therapy in which interest has been rekindled due to both the continually growing end-stage renal disease population and concern about poor outcomes in patients on conventional thrice-..
- Tang V, Morsy M, Chemla E. Using arteriovenous fistulae as a dual access for hemodialysis and total parenteral nutrition administration is feasible with a good outcome: a case series. J Vasc Access. 2007;8:305-8 pubmed..We therefore think that native AVF and grafts can be used as dual access for hemodialysis and TPN administration provided careful case selection, counselling and follow-up. ..
- Pauly R, Chan C. Reversing the risk factor paradox: is daily nocturnal hemodialysis the solution?. Semin Dial. 2007;20:539-43 pubmed
- Winkelmayer W, Weinstein M, Mittleman M, Glynn R, Pliskin J. Health economic evaluations: the special case of end-stage renal disease treatment. Med Decis Making. 2002;22:417-30 pubmed..The cost-effectiveness of home hemodialysis was found to be between $33,000 and $50,000/LY...
- Lehoux P. Patients' perspectives on high-tech home care: a qualitative inquiry into the user-friendliness of four technologies. BMC Health Serv Res. 2004;4:28 pubmed..Policies aimed at developing home care must clearly integrate principles and resources supporting the appropriate use of technology. Close monitoring of patients should be part of all technology-enhanced home care programs. ..
- Zarama M, Ibrahim H. Part 2. Going the distance... with renal disease. Nephrol News Issues. 2007;21:72-4 pubmed
- Pauly R, Sood M, Chan C. Management of refractory ascites using nocturnal home hemodialysis. Semin Dial. 2008;21:367-70 pubmed publisher..to treatment with standard outpatient hemodialysis which resolved upon the initiation of nocturnal home hemodialysis (NHD)...
- Mehrabian S, Morgan D, Schlaeper C, Kortas C, Lindsay R. Equipment and water treatment considerations for the provision of quotidian home hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;42:66-70 pubmed..This suggests that any sustained growth beyond the current study design may require a review of staffing, resources, and model of service delivery needs. ..
- McFarlane P, Pierratos A, Redelmeier D. Cost savings of home nocturnal versus conventional in-center hemodialysis. Kidney Int. 2002;62:2216-22 pubmed..68,935). HNHD provides about three times as many treatment hours at nearly a one-fifth lower cost, with savings evident even when only program and funding-specific costs are considered. ..
- Blagg C. The renaissance of home hemodialysis: where we are, why we got here, what is happening in the United States and elsewhere. Hemodial Int. 2008;12 Suppl 1:S2-5 pubmed publisherb>Home hemodialysis has been around since 1964, but its use has declined over the years in most countries, this despite its advantages, particularly improved patient survival and quality of life and significant cost savings...
- Messana T. Document it!. Nephrol News Issues. 2006;20:67-8 pubmed
- Derrett S, Darmody M, Williams S, Rutherford M, Schollum J, Walker R. Older peoples' satisfaction with home-based dialysis. Nephrology (Carlton). 2010;15:464-70 pubmed publisher..Home-based dialysis is possible in older patients with levels of comorbidity and disease severity as serious as elsewhere. ..
- Shaldon S. Nocturnal home hemodialysis. Semin Dial. 2004;17:321; author reply 321-2 pubmed
- Shaldon S. Overnight unattended home hemodialysis. Kidney Int. 2003;63:1957; author reply 1957 pubmed
- Diaz Buxo J, Crawford Bonadio T, St Pierre D, Ingram K. Establishing a successful home dialysis program. Blood Purif. 2006;24:22-7 pubmed..A good command of the technical and economic aspects is important, but the primary drivers for the creation and growth of a home dialysis program are the confidence and commitment of the nephrological team. ..
- Davis K, Ash R. Home hemodialysis vs. peritoneal dialysis. Nephrol Nurs J. 2008;35:291-3 pubmed
- Chhabra D, Nash K. Icodextrin: an alternative peritoneal dialysis fluid. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2008;4:1455-64 pubmed..This seems to be especially relevant in patients with more permeable peritoneal membranes who are known as 'high-transporters'. ..
- Farina J. Peritoneal dialysis: a case for home visits. Nephrol Nurs J. 2001;28:423-8 pubmed..This article describes the benefits and limitations of performing home visits as well as practical guidelines, including the use of an assessment record to document the home visit. ..
- Schatell D. Home vs. in-center dialysis: reassessing the burdens. Nephrol Nurs J. 2005;32:347 pubmed
- Murashima M, Kumar D, Doyle A, Glickman J. Comparison of intradialytic blood pressure variability between conventional thrice-weekly hemodialysis and short daily hemodialysis. Hemodial Int. 2010;14:270-7 pubmed publisher..36 (0.16-0.81; P=0.008). In this retrospective study, SDHD was associated with less intradialytic BP variability and with fewer episodes of hypotension during treatments. Further studies are necessary to generalize these findings. ..
- Zumoff R. A growing HHD market: can it continue?. Nephrol News Issues. 2006;20:24-5 pubmed
- Qyinan P. Home hemodialysis and the caregivers' experience: a critical analysis. CANNT J. 2005;15:25-32 pubmed
- Hawley C, Jeffries J, Nearhos J, van Eps C. Complications of home hemodialysis. Hemodial Int. 2008;12 Suppl 1:S21-5 pubmed publisherb>Home hemodialysis is regaining popularity as a treatment choice for end-stage kidney disease...
- Komenda P, Copland M, Er L, Djurdjev O, Levin A. Outcomes of a provincial home haemodialysis programme--a two-year experience: establishing benchmarks for programme evaluation. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008;23:2647-52 pubmed publisher..These data can be used to benchmark programmes, and to foster further research to determine factors that may improve HHD technique survival. ..
- Rioux J, Faratro R, Chan C. Nocturnal home hemodialysis: implementation, quality assurance and future challenges. Minerva Urol Nefrol. 2010;62:103-10 pubmedNocturnal home hemodialysis (NHHD) has been associated with several clinical benefits compared to conventional thrice-weekly in-center hemodialysis. However, the prevalence of NHHD remains low...
- Heidenheim A, Leitch R, Kortas C, Lindsay R. Patient monitoring in the London Daily/Nocturnal Hemodialysis Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;42:61-5 pubmed..Monitoring is essential for the initial 3 months of nocturnal HD therapy until the HD team is convinced the patient is stable and compliant. Thereafter, monitoring is necessary only if medically indicated. ..
- Pauly R, Asad R, Hanley J, Pierratos A, Zaltzman J, Chery A, et al. Long-term clinical outcomes of nocturnal hemodialysis patients compared with conventional hemodialysis patients post-renal transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2009;23:47-55 pubmed publisherNocturnal home hemodialysis (NHD) is a novel dialysis strategy associated with multiple advantages over conventional hemodialysis (CHD). Short- and long-term clinical outcomes of NHD patients after kidney transplantation are unknown...
- Lockridge R, Spencer M, Craft V, Pipkin M, Campbell D, McPhatter L, et al. Nocturnal home hemodialysis in North America. Adv Ren Replace Ther. 2001;8:250-6 pubmedNocturnal home hemodialysis (NHD) was made possible in the 1960s by fail-safe monitoring, the Scribner shunt, and low-resistant Kiil dialyzer allowing hemodialysis without a blood pump...
- Masterson R. The advantages and disadvantages of home hemodialysis. Hemodial Int. 2008;12 Suppl 1:S16-20 pubmed publisher..However, in the past 5 years there has been a new departure such that in many centers the concept of home hemodialysis is now synonymous with extended hours dialysis...
- Spindler B. [Vascular access for hemodialysis: the connection for life]. Pflege Z. 2004;57:89-93 pubmed
- Benaroia M, Pierratos A, Nesrallah G. A primer for the prescription of short-daily and nocturnal hemodialysis. Hemodial Int. 2008;12:23-9 pubmed publisher..This review describes the methodology used in providing more frequent or sustained HD both in center and at home, and attempts to provide a physiological rationale for the practices described in the current literature. ..
- Lynn K, Buttimore A. Future of home haemodialysis in Australia and New Zealand. Nephrology (Carlton). 2005;10:231-3 pubmed..If the likely benefits of these treatment changes are to be fully realized HHD and self care HD services will need to expand. Dialysis units in Australia and New Zealand are better equipped than most to respond to this challenge. ..
- Kocak H, Ly J, Chan C. Improvement in open-angle glaucoma by nocturnal home haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006;21:2647-9 pubmed
- Ronco C, Amerling R. Continuous flow peritoneal dialysis: current state-of-the-art and obstacles to further development. Contrib Nephrol. 2006;150:310-20 pubmed..Continuous flow PD remains an attractive modality for daily home dialysis and treatment of acute renal failure. ..
- Johansen K, Zhang R, Huang Y, Chen S, Blagg C, Goldfarb Rumyantzev A, et al. Survival and hospitalization among patients using nocturnal and short daily compared to conventional hemodialysis: a USRDS study. Kidney Int. 2009;76:984-90 pubmed publisher..All-cause and specific hospitalizations did not differ significantly between NHD and SDHD patients and their matched control cohorts. Our study suggests that NHD may improve patient survival. ..
- McFarlane P. Reducing hemodialysis costs: conventional and quotidian home hemodialysis in Canada. Semin Dial. 2004;17:118-24 pubmedThe cost of hemodialysis is a concern as the prevalence of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) increases. While home hemodialysis has been described as less expensive than in-center hemodialysis, the proportion of patients performing home ..
- Tang H, Tang C, Chu K, Lee W, Cheuk A, Yim K, et al. The first nocturnal home haemodialysis patient in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Med J. 2008;14:395-8 pubmed..Nocturnal home haemodialysis holds promise as an alternative dialytic therapy for patients on chronic haemodialysis in Hong Kong. ..
- Wong J, Pierratos A, Oreopoulos D, Mohammad R, Benjamin Wong F, Chan C. The use of nocturnal home hemodialysis as salvage therapy for patients experiencing peritoneal dialysis failure. Perit Dial Int. 2007;27:669-74 pubmed..We hypothesized that nocturnal home hemodialysis (NHD), 3-6 sessions per week, 6-8 hours per session, is a suitable alternative salvage therapy for this ..
- Agar J, Simmonds R, Knight R, Somerville C. Using water wisely: New, affordable, and essential water conservation practices for facility and home hemodialysis. Hemodial Int. 2009;13:32-7 pubmed publisher..As global water resources come under increasing pressure, we believe that a far more responsible attitude to RW recycling and conservation should be mandated for all new and existing HD services, regardless of country or region. ..
- Geary D, Piva E, Gajaria M, Tyrrel J, Picone G, Harvey E. Development of a nocturnal home hemodialysis (NHHD) program for children. Semin Dial. 2004;17:115-7 pubmedWhereas the success of nocturnal home hemodialysis (NHHD) as a treatment modality for adults has been clearly demonstrated, there is very little experience with NHHD in children...
- Shaldon S. The history of home hemodialysis in Japan. ASAIO J. 2002;48:577; author reply 577-8 pubmed
- Jassal S, Devins G, Chan C, Bozanovic R, Rourke S. Improvements in cognition in patients converting from thrice weekly hemodialysis to nocturnal hemodialysis: a longitudinal pilot study. Kidney Int. 2006;70:956-62 pubmed..04) was seen. Learning efficiency scores were unchanged. NHD may be associated with improved general cognitive efficiency as measured by psychomotor efficiency and attention and working memory. ..
- Janda K, Stompor T, Gryz E, Szczudlik A, Drozdz M, Kraśniak A, et al. [Evaluation of polyneuropathy severity in chronic renal failure patients on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis or on maintenance hemodialysis]. Przegl Lek. 2007;64:423-30 pubmed..Well preserved residual renal function in CAPD patients plays an important role in improving effectiveness of the dialytic treatment, in consequence influencing preservation of proper peripheral nerve function. ..
- McCormick B, Pierratos A, Fenton S, Jain V, Zaltzman J, Chan C. Review of clinical outcomes in nocturnal haemodialysis patients after renal transplantation. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004;19:714-9 pubmed..Further prospective studies are needed to examine the underlying differences in haemodynamics and long-term graft survival between the two renal replacement modalities. ..
- Agar J. International variations and trends in home hemodialysis. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2009;16:205-14 pubmed publisherb>Home hemodialysis, once a valid, viable dialysis choice, faded as facility-based care was preferentially funded and supported through the 1970s and 1980s...
- Perl J, Lok C, Chan C. Central venous catheter outcomes in nocturnal hemodialysis. Kidney Int. 2006;70:1348-54 pubmed..84 vs 2.92/1000 CVCD; P=0.03). CVC use and complications in NHD is comparable to that in CHD with the benefit of longer cumulative survival. More frequent CVC use should not be a deterrent to NHD. ..
- Galland R, Traeger J. Short daily hemodialysis and nutritional status in patients with chronic renal failure. Semin Dial. 2004;17:104-8 pubmed..Increased frequency is more important than increased dialysis dose. Short daily hemodialysis appears to be a suitable method to improve nutritional status in dialysis patients. ..