Summary: Counseling during which a professional plays an active role in a client's or patient's decision making by offering advice, guidance, and/or recommendations.
- McClure J, Swan G, Catz S, Jack L, Javitz H, McAfee T, et al. Smoking outcome by psychiatric history after behavioral and varenicline treatment. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2010;38:394-402 pubmed publisher..Groups had similar 30-day abstinence rates at 6 months (31.5% PH+ vs. 35.4% PH-, p = .35). In sum, having a psychiatric diagnosis in this trial did not predict worse treatment outcome or worse treatment side effects. ..
- Pisinger C, Glümer C, Toft U, von Huth Smith L, Aadahl M, Borch Johnsen K, et al. High risk strategy in smoking cessation is feasible on a population-based level. The Inter99 study. Prev Med. 2008;46:579-84 pubmed publisher..A high risk strategy showed a significant effect on smoking in the long term. Proactive recruitment, face-to-face setting, repeated offer of assistance to quit and a multi-factorial approach may explain the success of the intervention. ..
- Toft U, Kristoffersen L, Ladelund S, Ovesen L, Lau C, Borch Johnsen K, et al. The impact of a population-based multi-factorial lifestyle intervention on changes in long-term dietary habits: the Inter99 study. Prev Med. 2008;47:378-83 pubmed publisher..A population-based multi-factorial lifestyle intervention promoted significant greater beneficial long-term dietary changes compared to the control group, especially the intake of vegetables and saturated fat was improved. ..
- Njeru M, Blystad A, Shayo E, Nyamongo I, Fylkesnes K. Practicing provider-initiated HIV testing in high prevalence settings: consent concerns and missed preventive opportunities. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11:87 pubmed publisher..We argue that there is an urgent need to reconsider the manner in which the provider initiated HIV testing model is implemented in order to protect the client's autonomy and to maximise access to HIV prevention. ..
- Asbee S, Jenkins T, Butler J, White J, Elliot M, Rutledge A. Preventing excessive weight gain during pregnancy through dietary and lifestyle counseling: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;113:305-12 pubmed publisher..An organized, consistent program of dietary and lifestyle counseling did reduce weight gain in pregnancy. ClinicalTrials.gov, www.clinicaltrials.gov, NCT00792480 I. ..
- McClure J, Ludman E, Grothaus L, Pabiniak C, Richards J. Impact of a brief motivational smoking cessation intervention the Get PHIT randomized controlled trial. Am J Prev Med. 2009;37:116-23 pubmed publisher..nct00169260. ..
- Toft U, Pisinger C, Aadahl M, Lau C, Linneberg A, Ladelund S, et al. The impact of a population-based multi-factorial lifestyle intervention on alcohol intake: the Inter99 study. Prev Med. 2009;49:115-21 pubmed publisher..7; p=0.01). No significant effects were found in women on total alcohol intake. Multi-factorial lifestyle intervention, including low intensity alcohol intervention, improved long-term alcohol habits in a general population. ..
- Seror E, Blondé R, Naudin J, Armoogum P, Angoulvant F, De Lauzanne A, et al. [Evaluation of pre-travel prevention, except vaccination, in children returning from Africa with fever]. Arch Pediatr. 2011;18:1271-7 pubmed publisher..003). Although in this study the majority of children traveling to Africa receive transmissible infection prevention counseling before the travel, prevention could be improved, particularly before a stay in North Africa. ..
- Kennedy E, Ahluwalia I, Ding H, Lu P, Singleton J, Bridges C. Monitoring seasonal influenza vaccination coverage among pregnant women in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012;207:S9-16 pubmed publisher..Continued efforts are needed to ensure pregnant women receive recommendations and offers of vaccination from their health care providers. ..
- Coleman J, Gaydos C, Witter F. Trichomonas vaginalis vaginitis in obstetrics and gynecology practice: new concepts and controversies. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2013;68:43-50 pubmed publisher..In this article, we review TV pathogenicity, adverse reproductive health outcomes, detection, and treatment followed by clinical scenarios for which TV diagnosis may prove useful in obstetrics and gynecology practice. ..
- Bitzer J, Cupanik V, Fait T, Gemzell Danielsson K, Grob P, Oddens B, et al. Factors influencing women's selection of combined hormonal contraceptive methods after counselling in 11 countries: results from a subanalysis of the CHOICE study. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2013;18:372-80 pubmed publisher
- Bertsche T, Nachbar M, Fiederling J, Schmitt S, Kaltschmidt J, Seidling H, et al. Assessment of a computerised decision support system for allergic rhino-conjunctivitis counselling in German pharmacy. Int J Clin Pharm. 2012;34:17-22 pubmed publisher..Using the newly developed PDSS more than doubled the number of mandatory questions asked. The results suggest that the PDSS is ready for evaluation of its impact in real patients. ..
- Tucker Edmonds B, Krasny S, Srinivas S, Shea J. Obstetric decision-making and counseling at the limits of viability. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012;206:248.e1-5 pubmed publisher..Interventions to train and support obstetricians in communicating uncertainty, managing expectations, and assessing values and understanding are needed. ..
- Cohen L, Brown J, Haukness H, Walsh L, Robinson J. Sun protection counseling by pediatricians has little effect on parent and child sun protection behavior. J Pediatr. 2013;162:381-6 pubmed publisher..Communication with parents in a way that incorporates the principles of motivational interviewing may be more effective in promoting behavioral change than admonitions to use sunscreen. ..
- Edgil D, Stankard P, Forsythe S, Rech D, Chrouser K, Adamu T, et al. Voluntary medical male circumcision: logistics, commodities, and waste management requirements for scale-up of services. PLoS Med. 2011;8:e1001128 pubmed publisher..quot; Program planners and policy makers should consider the significant contribution of supply chain and waste management to VMMC program costs as they determine future resource needs for VMMC programs. ..
- Webb A, Robertson N, Sparrow M. Smokers know little of their increased surgical risks and may quit on surgical advice. ANZ J Surg. 2013;83:753-7 pubmed publisher..5-6.8 P = 0.004) while anaesthetists, nurse and hospital brochure advice were not. Improving patient knowledge of the perioperative risks of smoking and increased physician advice to quit may improve smoking abstinence at surgery. ..
- Spencer A, Jablonski R, Loeb S. Hypertensive African American women and the DASH diet. Nurse Pract. 2012;37:41-6 pubmed publisher..Barriers included clinicians' low adherence to nutritional counseling and patients' lack of knowledge regarding nutrition and the consequences of hypertension. ..
- Kyaddondo D, Wanyenze R, Kinsman J, Hardon A. Home-based HIV counseling and testing: client experiences and perceptions in Eastern Uganda. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:966 pubmed publisher..HBHCT can play a major role in expanding access to testing and overcoming disclosure challenges. However, access to HIV services post-test may require attention. ..
- Eades S, Sanson Fisher R, Wenitong M, Panaretto K, D Este C, Gilligan C, et al. An intensive smoking intervention for pregnant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women: a randomised controlled trial. Med J Aust. 2012;197:42-6 pubmed..Contamination of the intervention across groups, or the nature of the intervention itself, may have contributed to this result. Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12609000929202. ..
- Bracht M, Basevitz D, Cranis M, Paulley R, Paes B. Strategies for reducing the risk of respiratory syncytial virus infection in infants and young children: a Canadian nurses' perspective. Neonatal Netw. 2012;31:357-68 pubmed publisher..In Canada, nurses play a critical role in education and counseling. In this review, we share our perspectives and suggest empirical practices that may be applicable worldwide. ..
- Minkoff H, Berkowitz R. The case for universal prenatal genetic counseling. Obstet Gynecol. 2014;123:1335-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, all women, not just those surpassing some poorly defined level of risk, deserve genetic counseling. Approaches for achieving this goal are discussed. ..
- Fichera E, Sutton M. State and self investments in health. J Health Econ. 2011;30:1164-73 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that prescription of lipid-lowering drugs to individuals with cardiovascular disease increases the probability of smoking cessation by 20-28 percentage points. ..
- Flaherman V, Lee H. "Breastfeeding" by feeding expressed mother's milk. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2013;60:227-46 pubmed publisher..Approaches for working mothers, preterm infants, critically ill infants, and mothers before lactogenesis II are presented separately, as these groups may benefit from practices tailored to individual needs. ..
- Peeler S, Chung M, Stedmon J, Skirton H. A review assessing the current treatment strategies for postnatal psychological morbidity with a focus on post-traumatic stress disorder. Midwifery. 2013;29:377-88 pubmed publisher..The intrapartum relationship with midwives appears to be an important contributor to prevention of PTSD and this requires further investigation. ..
- Rosenberg N, Pettifor A, de Bruyn G, Westreich D, Delany Moretlwe S, Behets F, et al. HIV testing and counseling leads to immediate consistent condom use among South African stable HIV-discordant couples. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013;62:226-33 pubmed publisher..19. Unprotected sex declined after HIV-positive diagnosis and declined further after awareness of HIV discordance. Identifying HIV-discordant couples for behavioral prevention is important for reducing HIV transmission risk. ..
- Smink A, Bierma Zeinstra S, Dekker J, Vliet Vlieland T, Bijlsma J, Swierstra B, et al. Agreement of general practitioners with the guideline-based stepped-care strategy for patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: a cross-sectional study. BMC Fam Pract. 2013;14:33 pubmed publisher..We could not identify factors that contribute substantially to GPs' attitudes regarding the SCS recommendations regarding the sequence for care. ..
- Kohyama S, Kanamori A, Tanaka T, Hara Y, Yamazaki M. Stress fracture of the scaphoid in an elite junior tennis player: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2016;10:8 pubmed publisher..Although rare, scaphoid stress fractures must be considered in tennis players with chronic wrist pain. ..
- Ortleb M, Levitt J. Practical use of biologic therapy in dermatology: some considerations and checklists. Dermatol Online J. 2012;18:2 pubmed..This manuscript provides one perspective. This article reviews monitoring and patient counseling considerations for the use of biologics in dermatology. Tables for each drug are provided with checklists for counseling and monitoring. ..
- KARNO M, Farabee D, Brecht M, Rawson R. Patient reactance moderates the effect of directive telephone counseling for methamphetamine users. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2012;73:844-50 pubmed..The short-term nature of these effects indicates that there is a need for brief but ongoing telephone support to maintain treatment gains. ..
- Salako A, Jeminusi O, Osinupebi O, Sholeye O, Abiodun A, Kuponiyi O. Characteristics of clients accessing HIV counseling and testing services in a tertiary hospital in Sagamu, Southwestern Nigeria. Niger J Clin Pract. 2012;15:391-6 pubmed publisher..05). Upscale of HCT services to involve Sexually transmitted infections clinics and free-standing, client-initiated testing centers is necessary. Continuous AIDS education and risk reduction should be promoted. ..
- Hughes J, Rennard S, Fingar J, Talbot S, Callas P, Fagerstrom K. Efficacy of varenicline to prompt quit attempts in smokers not currently trying to quit: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011;13:955-64 pubmed publisher..This appeared to be due to decreasing cigarettes/day and level of dependence. ..
- Ferguson J, Docherty G, Bauld L, Lewis S, Lorgelly P, Boyd K, et al. Effect of offering different levels of support and free nicotine replacement therapy via an English national telephone quitline: randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2012;344:e1696 pubmed publisher..67, 0.50 to 0.90). Offering free nicotine replacement therapy or additional (proactive) counselling to standard helpline support had no additional effect on smoking cessation. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00775944. ..
- Baillot A, Asselin M, Comeau E, Méziat Burdin A, Langlois M. Impact of excess skin from massive weight loss on the practice of physical activity in women. Obes Surg. 2013;23:1826-34 pubmed publisher..The main reason women with ES avoid PA seems to have less to do with the magnitude of ES itself and more with psychosocial inconveniences. ..
- Grant R, Meigs J, Florez J, Park E, Green R, Waxler J, et al. Design of a randomized trial of diabetes genetic risk testing to motivate behavior change: the Genetic Counseling/lifestyle Change (GC/LC) Study for Diabetes Prevention. Clin Trials. 2011;8:609-15 pubmed publisher..This design allowed exploration of both increased risk and false reassurance, and has implications for future studies in translational genomics. ..
- Rogers L, Anton P, Fogleman A, Hopkins Price P, Verhulst S, Rao K, et al. Pilot, randomized trial of resistance exercise during radiation therapy for head and neck cancer. Head Neck. 2013;35:1178-88 pubmed publisher..6 vs 0.4, d = -.63 and -1.9 vs 0.1, d = -0.60, respectively). Resistance exercise is safe and feasible in patients with head and neck cancer receiving radiation; a definitive trial is warranted. ..
- Hancock Howard R, Ungar W, Marshall D, Einarson A, Koren G. Public preferences for counseling regarding antidepressant use during pregnancy: a discrete choice experiment. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2012;94:532-9 pubmed publisher..The public valued information that was helpful and preferred receiving information in nontraditional formats; however, familiarity with the provider was important. ..
- Hébert E, CAUGHY M, Shuval K. Primary care providers' perceptions of physical activity counselling in a clinical setting: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 2012;46:625-31 pubmed publisher..Primary care providers are receptive to the notion of PA promotion in the clinical setting, yet numerous individual and organisational barriers need to be addressed to integrate PA counselling into primary care effectively. ..
- Due U, BrostrÃ¸m S, Lose G. Lifestyle advice with or without pelvic floor muscle training for pelvic organ prolapse: a randomized controlled trial. Int Urogynecol J. 2016;27:555-63 pubmed publisher..Adding PFMT to a structured lifestyle advice program gave superior results in a global scale and for POP symptoms. Overall effect of either intervention barely reached clinical relevance. ..
- Henny K, Crepaz N, Lyles C, Marshall K, Aupont L, Jacobs E, et al. Efficacy of HIV/STI behavioral interventions for heterosexual African American men in the United States: a meta-analysis. AIDS Behav. 2012;16:1092-114 pubmed publisher..Findings indicate that HIV interventions for heterosexual African American men might be more efficacious if they incorporated a range of health care services rather than HIV/STI-related services alone. ..
- Makuria A, Raghuraman S, Burbelo P, Cantilena C, Allison R, Gibble J, et al. The clinical relevance of persistent recombinant immunoblot assay-indeterminate reactions: insights into the natural history of hepatitis C virus infection and implications for donor counseling. Transfusion. 2012;52:1940-8 pubmed publisher..In such cases, detectable antibody may ultimately disappear leaving no residual serologic evidence of prior HCV infection, as reported in a minority of long-term HCV-recovered subjects. ..
- Harrison C, Charles J, Britt H. Contraception. Aust Fam Physician. 2011;40:93 pubmed..8 per 100 encounters, second only to acute upper respiratory infections (10.1 per 100 encounters) as the most common problem managed for this age group. ..
- Albert D, Ward A. Tobacco cessation in the dental office. Dent Clin North Am. 2012;56:747-70 pubmed publisher..With this information, dentists can assist in helping patients to stop using tobacco by providing appropriate pharmacotherapeutic aid and thus improve their oral and overall health. ..
- Hagen S, Stark D, Dougall I. A survey of prolapse practice in UK women's health physiotherapists: what has changed in the last decade?. Int Urogynecol J. 2016;27:579-85 pubmed publisher..Further research targeting the implementation of this evidence would be valuable in addressing potential barriers, and in supporting the need for physiotherapy in the treatment of prolapse. ..
- Pequeno C, de Macêdo S, Miranda K. [Counseling on HIV/AIDS: theoretical background for an evidence based clinical practice]. Rev Bras Enferm. 2013;66:437-41 pubmed..It is believed that these reflections can contribute to substantiate theoretically the professionals who perform HIV/AIDS counseling, configuring it as a device for health promotion. ..
- Chang E, Eddins Folensbee F, Porter B, Coverdale J. Utilization of counseling services at one medical school. South Med J. 2013;106:449-53 pubmed publisher..Students should be clearly informed about the availability of counseling services and their potential utility. In addition, specific barriers to attendance should be identified and reduced. ..
- Barrett H, Nitert Dekker M, Lust K, Fagermo N, Wolski P, Callaway L. The conundrum of eclampsia and fitness to drive. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013;53:540-3 pubmed publisher..There is a wide range of advice provided. Better prospective data are required regarding the risk of subsequent seizure after eclampsia, to inform clear fitness to drive guidelines. ..
- Mustila T, Raitanen J, Keskinen P, Saari A, Luoto R. Pragmatic controlled trial to prevent childhood obesity in maternity and child health care clinics: pregnancy and infant weight outcomes (the VACOPP Study). BMC Pediatr. 2013;13:80 pubmed publisher..However, results from earlier studies suggest that the possible effect on the offspring's weight gain may manifest only later in childhood. Clinical Trials gov: NCT00970710. ..
- Röhrig J, Nafz M, Strohm P, Bengel J, Hodel T, Wahl S, et al. [Addiction counselling in the surgical emergency room. Implementation of a brief intervention for alcohol-intoxicated patients]. Unfallchirurg. 2013;116:610-6 pubmed publisher..The intervention had no influence on the contact rate with counselling services. Promising evidence was found, which needs confirmation in the form of randomized controlled trials with focus on long-term effects. ..
- McDevitt P. Sexual and intimacy health of Roman Catholic priests. J Prev Interv Community. 2012;40:208-18 pubmed publisher..The results indicate the need for early intervention and education during seminary, ongoing education after ordination, and psychotherapy support for priests. ..
- Oyelese Y, Vintzileos A. Interpretation and communication of medical evidence: room for improvement. Obstet Gynecol. 2012;120:650-4 pubmed publisher..This commentary encourages a more critical look at the way we interpret data and communicate medical evidence to our patients and the public. ..