Genomes and Genes
Summary: Centers for storing various parts of the eye for future use.
- Wilkinson F. A sight to behold. Interview by Lynne Pearce. Nurs Stand. 2006;20:24-5 pubmed..More than 2,500 staff have received training on multidisciplinary study days. Since the team have been in post the number of corneas for donation has increased by 335 per cent. ..
- Foracchia M, Ruggeri A. Automatic estimation of endothelium cell density in donor corneas by means of fourier analysis. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2004;42:725-31 pubmed..The proposed automatic procedure confirmed its ability to estimate correctly corneal endothelium cell density. ..
- Aiken O Neill P, Mannis M. Summary of comeal transplant activity Eye Bank Association of America. Cornea. 2002;21:1-3 pubmed
- Hamaoui M, Tahi H, Chapon P, Duchesne B, Fantes F, Feuer W, et al. Corneal preparation of eye bank eyes for experimental surgery. Cornea. 2001;20:317-20 pubmed..Both the posterior and anterior sides of the cornea should be exposed to the solution for 60 minutes. ..
- Terry M, Ousley P. New screening methods for donor eye-bank eyes. Cornea. 1999;18:430-6 pubmed..Diseases or surgery that affect the relationship between the central and midperipheral corneal thickness may be screened through Orbscan pachymetry mapping with comparison with a normal range. ..
- Ventura L, Sousa S, Messias A, Bispo J. System for measuring the transmission spectrum of 'in vitro' corneas. Physiol Meas. 2000;21:197-207 pubmedWe have developed a spectroscopy system dedicated to eye banks in order to standardize the evaluation of the donated corneas, with respect to their transparency...
- Nuzzo V, Plamann K, Savoldelli M, Aptel F, Reynier B, Pailloux F, et al. Deposit of glass fragments during femtosecond laser penetrating keratoplasty. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2009;247:107-13 pubmed publisher..As a consequence, microscopic glass fragments are created, which may remain in the tissue. This unwanted effect can be avoided by stopping the procedure at the lens-cornea interface. ..
- Gabric N, Dekaris I. [Financial aspects of tissue bank activities]. Acta Med Croatica. 2007;61:467-71 pubmed..Taking care of all the costs needed for processing human corneal tissue in Croatia that will be used for transplantation, we calculated approximate costs required for this process and compared them with other countries. ..
- Schroeter J, Meltendorf C. [Insulation characteristics of transport containers for organ cultured donor corneas under different ambient temperatures]. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd. 2009;226:629-33 pubmed publisher..The TempShell-22 degrees C assures a safe temperature range for low ambient temperatures (-10 to +10 degrees C) for at least 24 hours and for an ambient temperature of +50 degrees C for at least 10 hours. ..
- Sugar A, Montoya M, Beck R, Cowden J, Dontchev M, Gal R, et al. Impact of the cornea donor study on acceptance of corneas from older donors. Cornea. 2012;31:1441-5 pubmed publisher..b>Eye banks in United States provided complete data on donor age and placement (domestic or international) for 86,273 ..
- Hersh D, Martin F, Rowe N. Comparison of silastic and banked fascia lata in pediatric frontalis suspension. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2006;43:212-8 pubmed..To compare the use of Silastic and banked fascia lata in pediatric frontalis suspension surgery for functional success, ptosis recurrence, and infection and granuloma rates...
- ..Encouraging results have also been reported for cornea frozen using non-permeating cryoprotectants, which could lead to simpler methods of corneal cryopreservation. ..
- Varssano D, Russ V, Linhart Y, Lazar M. Air transportation of corneal tissue: experience with local compared to transatlantic donor corneas. Cornea. 2005;24:674-7 pubmed..Air transport of corneal tissue, including loss of time due to travel and handling, did not compromise corneal transplantation success rate. ..
- Sundmacher R, Reinhard T. [Meeting the demand for quality and safety checked corneal transplants. The role of corneal banks and health care organizations in Germany]. Ophthalmologe. 2001;98:277-84 pubmed..This is because of the lack of direct refinancing by health care organizations. These organizations must be required to meet their legal responsibilities in this area. ..
- Vallochi A, Muccioli C, Martins M, Silveira C, Belfort R, Rizzo L. The genotype of Toxoplasma gondii strains causing ocular toxoplasmosis in humans in Brazil. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;139:350-1 pubmed..To determine Toxoplasma gondii genotype in scars of retinochoroiditis in humans...
- Yamazoe K, Yamazoe K, Shinozaki N, Shimazaki J. Influence of the precutting and overseas transportation of corneal grafts for Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty on donor endothelial cell loss. Cornea. 2013;32:741-4 pubmed publisher..transportation of corneal grafts for Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) from overseas eye banks. A total of 124 consecutive precut donor tissues for DSAEK were obtained from overseas eye banks...
- Abramoff M, Mullins R, Lee K, Hoffmann J, Sonka M, Critser D, et al. Human photoreceptor outer segments shorten during light adaptation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:3721-8 pubmed publisher..One potential role of Bestrophin-1 is to trigger an increase in the standing potential that approximates the OS to the apical surface of the RPE to facilitate phagocytosis. ..
- Lindquist T, Miller T, Elsen J, Lignoski P. Minimizing the risk of disease transmission during corneal tissue processing. Cornea. 2009;28:481-4 pubmed publisher..It is recommended that any environment where corneal tissue is prepared should meet the minimum standard of a conventional operating room which is <25 colony-forming unit per 90-mm settle plate per 1-hour exposure. ..
- Malik K, Chen C, Olsen T. Stability of RNA from the retina and retinal pigment epithelium in a porcine model simulating human eye bank conditions. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:2730-5 pubmed..These results should aid in future studies in which eye bank tissue is used for RNA analysis. ..
- Ruzza A, Salvalaio G, Bruni A, Frigo A, Busin M, Ponzin D. Banking of donor tissues for descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty. Cornea. 2013;32:70-5 pubmed publisher..The lamellar grafts for Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty may be stored in organ culture for 2 weeks without damaging the endothelium or increasing the overall thickness. ..
- Dawson D, Kramer T, Grossniklaus H, Waring G, Edelhauser H. Histologic, ultrastructural, and immunofluorescent evaluation of human laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis corneal wounds. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005;123:741-56 pubmed..5 years after laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis surgery were collected from eye banks. The corneas were trisected and processed for conventional histologic analysis, transmission electron microscopy,..
- Moffatt S, Pollock G. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: perceptions and realities of risk. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2006;34:635-6 pubmed
- Redbrake C, Kompa S, Altmann G, Reim M, Arend O. [HES 130 as a continuous supplement for organ culture of human corneas?]. Ophthalmologe. 2006;103:43-7 pubmed..It facilitates the handling of corneas during organ culture, making dehydration before transplantation unnecessary, and thus also reduces potential stress factors for the cornea. ..
- Cleary C, Liu Y, Tang M, Li Y, Stoeger C, Huang D. Excimer laser smoothing of endothelial keratoplasty grafts. Cornea. 2012;31:431-6 pubmed publisher..Clinical trials are needed to determine whether reshaping donors using excimer laser can deliver improved visual outcomes after DSAEK. ..
- Ollerton A, Werner L, Strenk S, Strenk L, Leishman L, Bodnar Z, et al. Pathologic comparison of asymmetric or sulcus fixation of 3-piece intraocular lenses with square versus round anterior optic edges. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:1580-7 pubmed publisher..Comparative case series with pathology. A total of 661 pseudophakic cadaver eyes, obtained from eye banks within the United States, implanted with different IOLs...
- Goren M. The Eye Bank Association of America. Compr Ophthalmol Update. 2006;7:261-2 pubmed
- Rijneveld W, Wolff R, Völker Dieben H, Pels E. Validation of tissue quality parameters for donor corneas designated for emergency use in preservation of the globe. Cornea. 2010;29:128-32 pubmed publisher..Globe preservation rates justify the quality criteria for designation of this tissue. ..
- Velpandian T, Arora B, Senthilkumari S, Ravi A, Gayathri C, Azad R, et al. Regional variation in the levels of macular xanthophylls and carotenoids in dietary components: comparing North and South India. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2010;56:411-20 pubmed..The relevance of these findings with prevalence of AMD in South India needs to be explored. ..
- Utheim T, Raeder S, Utheim Ø, de la Paz M, Roald B, Lyberg T. Sterility control and long-term eye-bank storage of cultured human limbal epithelial cells for transplantation. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93:980-3 pubmed publisher..Although a slight decrease in viability was observed following 2 weeks of storage, the HLEC sheets remain acceptable, whereas 3 week's storage was unsatisfactory. ..
- Borderie V. Donor selection, retrieval and preparation of donor tissue. Donor selection. Dev Ophthalmol. 2009;43:22-30 pubmed publisher..A history of corneal refractive surgery in the donor eye, ocular inflammation, retinoblastoma, and malignant tumors of the anterior segment are contraindications to keratoplasty. ..
- Olsen T. The Minnesota Grading System using fundus autofluorescence of eye bank eyes: a correlation to age-related macular degeneration (an AOS thesis). Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2008;106:383-401 pubmed..Future studies could then correlate specific FAF to the aging process, histopathology AMD phenotypes, and other maculopathies, as well as to analyze the biochemistry of autofluorescent fluorophores. ..
- Ruit S, Tabin G, Gurung R, Shattuck T, Murchison A, Dimmig J. Temple eye banking in Nepal. Cornea. 2002;21:433-4 pubmed
- Szaflik J. White light confocal microscopy of preserved human corneas from an eye bank. Cornea. 2007;26:265-9 pubmed
- Armitage W, Jones M, Zambrano I, Carley F, Tole D. The suitability of corneas stored by organ culture for penetrating keratoplasty and influence of donor and recipient factors on 5-year graft survival. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:784-91 pubmed publisher..008). Donor age and storage time but not postmortem times influenced the suitability of corneas for PK. The indication for PK and other recipient factors were the main predictors of graft failure. ..
- Jhanji V, Pollock G, Mackey A, Beltz J, Vajpayee R. Histopathological evaluation of anterior lamellar corneal tissue-on/-off storage conditions on DSAEK donor tissue after storage in organ culture. Curr Eye Res. 2012;37:155-8 pubmed publisher..Organ-culture storage system is a safe and effective system in regard to preparation and transport of donor lenticules for DSAEK. ..
- Gain P, Thuret G, Kodjikian L, Gavet Y, Turc P, Theillere C, et al. Automated tri-image analysis of stored corneal endothelium. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002;86:801-8 pubmed..94, p<0.001) and prevented serious count errors. This analyser allows reliable and rapid analysis of ECD, even for heterogeneous endothelia mosaics and mediocre images. ..
- Lengyel I, Tufail A, Hosaini H, Luthert P, Bird A, Jeffery G. Association of drusen deposition with choroidal intercapillary pillars in the aging human eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:2886-92 pubmed..To determine the pattern of drusen accumulation with age and to investigate the initial sites of deposition and their relationship to choroidal capillaries in human donor eyes from the eye bank of Moorfields Eye Hospital...
- Viegas M, Pessanha L, Sato E, Hirai F, Adán C. [Discarded corneas due to positive donor's serologic test in the Hospital São Paulo Eye Bank: a two-year study]. Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2009;72:180-4 pubmed..However, new tests are necessary to decrease the number of inconclusive tests and decrease the number of discarded corneas. ..
- Bower T, Rocha G. Antimicrobial effect of cryopreservation on donor ocular tissue. Cornea. 2014;33:355-8 pubmed publisher..This suggests that ocular tissues treated in this manner may be microbiologically safe and therefore able to be used for transplantation in patients. ..
- Spelsberg H, Reinhard T, Sokolovska Y, Zysk G, Böhringer D, Sundmacher R. Endotoxin in storage medium of human corneal grafts and clinical course after penetrating normal-risk keratoplasty. Eye (Lond). 2004;18:923-8 pubmed..Low endotoxin levels in storage medium neither seem to promote immune reactions nor to contribute to postoperative chronic endothelial cell loss in normal-risk keratoplasty patients. ..
- Hassan S, Wilhelmus K. Ecologic effects on eye banking. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;142:1062-4 pubmed
- Al Aqaba M, Calienno R, Fares U, Otri A, Mastropasqua L, Nubile M, et al. The effect of standard and transepithelial ultraviolet collagen cross-linking on human corneal nerves: an ex vivo study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;153:258-266.e2 pubmed publisher..Further research on laboratory animals would be necessary to verify these changes over a specified time course without the super-addition of postmortem changes. ..
- Milot J. [View of the canadian history of corneal transplantation]. Can J Ophthalmol. 2007;42:460-4 pubmed..Testimonials from newspaper clippings highlight the professional career of Dr. Jean Audet-Lapointe. The role and support of the CNIB in Montreal and Toronto in establishing the Canadian Eye Bank Service are also presented. ..
- Aldave A, Dematteo J, Glasser D, Tu E, Iliakis B, Nordlund M, et al. Report of the Eye Bank Association of America medical advisory board subcommittee on fungal infection after corneal transplantation. Cornea. 2013;32:149-54 pubmed publisher..n = 17) were reported out of 221,664 corneal transplants performed using corneal tissue distributed by domestic eye banks (1.4 cases per 10,000 transplants performed)...
- Ehrenhaus M, Schanzlin D, Weissman L, Grasso C. Eye banking error: report of a donor cornea with a soft contact lens left in place. Cornea. 2006;25:359-60 pubmed..It behooves us to disclose these and to discuss any of these errors openly to allow us to maintain confidence in our local eye banks, and to help us practice the safest medicine possible for our patients.
- McKee H, Irion L, Carley F, Jhanji V, Brahma A. Donor preparation using pneumatic dissection in endothelial keratoplasty: DMEK or DSEK?. Cornea. 2012;31:798-800 pubmed publisher..If future studies show excellent visual results using pneumatic dissection for endothelial keratoplasty, then removal of all donor stroma may be unnecessary. ..
- Droutsas K, Giallouros E, Melles G, Chatzistefanou K, Sekundo W. Descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty: learning curve of a single surgeon. Cornea. 2013;32:1075-9 pubmed publisher..Use of backup tissue can be avoided by strictly adhering to the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery techniques and by harvesting the graft the day before surgery to avoid last-minute cancellation. ..
- Legeais J, Parc C, D Hermies F, Pouliquen Y, Renard G. Nineteen years of penetrating keratoplasty in the Hotel-Dieu Hospital in Paris. Cornea. 2001;20:603-6 pubmed..Despite an increase in the number of PKs performed after 1997, corneal buttons are still preferentially allocated to patients in whom there is a high probability of graft success. ..
- Lee K, Boimer C, Hershenfeld S, Sharpen L, Slomovic A. Sustainability of Routine Notification and Request legislation on eye bank tissue supply and corneal transplantation wait times in Canada. Can J Ophthalmol. 2011;46:381-5 pubmed publisher..Cross-sectional survey of Canadian corneal transplant (CT) surgeons and eye banks. Canadian CT surgeons and representatives from the 10 Canadian eye banks...
- Régnier M, Auxenfans C, Maucort Boulch D, Marty A, Damour O, Burillon C, et al. Eye bank prepared versus surgeon cut endothelial graft tissue for Descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty: An observational study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6885 pubmed publisher..5%) and 15 SST (68.2%) subjects (P?=?.39).Fuchs' dystrophy patients have good anatomic and functional DMEK results. Similar outcomes and complication rates occurred with eye bank and surgeon prepared donor tissue. ..