medical record administrators
Summary: Individuals professionally qualified in the management of patients' records. Duties may include planning, designing, and managing systems for patient administrative and clinical data, as well as patient medical records. The concept includes medical record technicians.
- Lorence D, Richards M. Variation in coding influence across the USA. Risk and reward in reimbursement optimization. J Manag Med. 2002;16:422-35 pubmed..Implications for reimbursement programs and evidence-based health care are discussed. ..
- Lungeanu D, Zaharie D, Holban S, Bernad E, Bari M, Noaghiu R. Exploratory analysis of medical coding practices: the relevance of reported data quality in obstetrics-gynaecology. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;136:839-44 pubmed..in analyzing the medical coding could help putting things into the right perspective and bring support for the need for formal education of medical record administrators and coders where such programmes do not exist, e.g. in Romania.
- Rode D. Understanding HIPAA transactions and code sets. J AHIMA. 2001;72:26-32; quiz 33-4 pubmed..What are the standard transactions and code sets? This article takes an in-depth look. ..
- Mead K. Get serious about paper record destruction. J AHIMA. 2002;73:58, 60 pubmed
- Hasley T. PACS support: the radiology approach. Radiol Manage. 2002;24:26-30 pubmed..By taking ownership of the system and following the keys to success, a department has the ability to reengineer radiology workflow not just in the hospital, but in the community as well. ..
- Rippen H, Yasnoff W. Building the National Health Information Infrastructure. J AHIMA. 2004;75:20-6; quiz 29-30 pubmed
- Heubusch K. Flash forward. Leadership's commitment is crucial at a hospital where tomorrow comes today. J AHIMA. 2005;76:92 pubmed
- Garcia A, David G, Chand D. Understanding the work of medical transcriptionists in the production of medical records. Health Informatics J. 2010;16:87-100 pubmed publisher..We conclude with a discussion of the implications of these findings for the design and implementation of SRT systems for the production of medical records and for how the work of MTs can help reduce medical errors. ..
- Sheridan P, D Ambrosio M, Heinecke K. Visioning e-HIM: a process for imagining--and anticipating--HIM's future. J AHIMA. 2005;76:24-8; quiz 31-2 pubmed
- Cassidy B, Hanson S. HIM practice transformation. J AHIMA. 2005;76:56A-56B pubmed
- Lowes R. Expert help: hire or outsource?. Med Econ. 2005;82:23-4 pubmed
- Morgan M. Following interests yields dynamic career. Interview by Jessica Squazzo. J AHIMA. 2003;74:120 pubmed
- Smothers G, Stelter A. A diversity challenge: understanding cultural differences and communication. J AHIMA. 2001;72:42-5 pubmed..Managing a diverse work group offers many challenges--especially when it comes to communication. As the HIM work force becomes more diverse, managers need to address this issue. The authors offer some strategies for better communication. ..
- Allen Thomas C, Melvin C, Wood R. Quality at the core. Interview by Anne Zender. J AHIMA. 2002;73:47-52 pubmed..Is your hospital getting ready for the Joint Commission's core measures project? Some hospitals are already transmitting the necessary data as part of the pilot project. Here's how they are handling the challenges and deriving benefits. ..
- Dixon Lee C. Work force and education. J AHIMA. 2006;77:54 pubmed
- Dougherty M. Updating long-term care's health IT course. New road map outlines goals for the next three years. J AHIMA. 2008;79:76-7 pubmed
- Hicks J. Rolling out electronic document management. HIM director stresses importance of preparation, questions. J AHIMA. 2007;78:112 pubmed
- Jeffries J. Champions for consistency. J AHIMA. 2003;74:45 pubmed
- Dimick C. Clinical documentation specialists. J AHIMA. 2007;78:44-6, 48, 50 pubmed
- Jeffries J. ARLNA in the 1930s: the stars beckon onwards. J AHIMA. 2003;74:58-61 pubmed
- Buck S, Lewis D, Bowen R. The value of mentoring. J AHIMA. 2008;79:38-40 pubmed..Mentoring is a vital way that professionals give back to the profession. Here, three distinguished AHIMA mentors explain their commitment to advancing the profession one person at a time. ..
- Rode D. The key to HIM's future. Education plays an integral role in expanding and developing the HIM work force. J AHIMA. 2007;78:18, 20 pubmed
- Vogt N. Privacy compliance--maintaining the gains. J AHIMA. 2005;76:90-1, 96 pubmed
- Rigby M, Talmon J, Brender J, Ammenwerth E, de Keizer N, Nykanen P. Linking informaticians and end users - using the STARE-HI evaluation reporting framework as a unifying design approach. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;150:66-70 pubmed..The Statement on Reporting of Evaluation Studies in Health Informatics (STARE-HI), by being recently endorsed by IMIA, EFMI and the EQUATOR Network, may therefore provide a generic objectives framework to help achieve common goals. ..
- Featheringham M. Turning grads into employees. Intern program delivers what grads and employers both want: experience. J AHIMA. 2005;76:36 pubmed
- Walls L. Managing the virtual HIM department. J AHIMA. 2004;75:24-7; quiz 29-30 pubmed
- Rudman W, Hewitt C. ORYX: opportunity gained or lost?. J AHIMA. 1999;70:48-52 pubmed..For those willing to change the way they think about data analysis/outcomes, ORYX will provide some of the most important and unlimited career opportunities that will be, or have ever been, offered to HIM professionals. ..
- Whitfield L. School of thought. Health Serv J. 2004;114:suppl 17-8 pubmed
- Mon D. Further defining e-HIM. J AHIMA. 2004;75:54-6 pubmed
- Duggan C. Making patient safety number one. J AHIMA. 2004;75:96 pubmed
- Hull S. Changes abundant for CPT 2004. J AHIMA. 2004;75:79-82; quiz 83-4 pubmed
- Dougherty M. Practice Brief. Starting a consulting business. J AHIMA. 2002;73:56A-56G pubmed
- Hicks J. The 1980s: "decisive in discarding what is no longer relevant". J AHIMA. 2003;74:58-61 pubmed
- Pezzulich R. Saving time: a physician's perspective. J AHIMA. 2003;74:62-3 pubmed
- Wright A. Preventing risk in long-term care: lessons learned. J AHIMA. 2003;74:64-6 pubmed
- Sobel D. Are you ready to be a privacy officer?. J AHIMA. 2003;74:60-2 pubmed
- Dahlstrand H. Fighting burnout. How to identify, reduce stress for you and your employees. J AHIMA. 2003;74:43-5; quiz 47-8 pubmed
- Valo C, Rulon V, Schuller M. How HIM adds value to managed care. J AHIMA. 2001;72:41-6; quiz 49-50 pubmed..If you're interested in making a transition to this area, the first step is understanding the ways HIM adds value to managed care processes. This article kicks off the first in a series on HIM opportunities in managed care. ..
- Drach M, Davies A, Sagrati C. Ten steps to successful chargemaster reviews. J AHIMA. 2001;72:42-8; quiz 49-50 pubmed..Is your chargemaster current, compliant, and comprehensive? In the age of APCs, healthcare facilities would do well to answer these questions regularly. Here's how an HIM professional can help. ..
- Becker C. Hospitals' code blues. MS-DRG switch may initially delay pay. Mod Healthc. 2007;37:18-9 pubmed
- Hughes P. UKCHIP prepared by Pam Hughes. New J (Inst Health Rec Inf Manag). 2006;47:12 pubmed
- Smith J. National ETD, health records and clinical coding, a unique partnership. New J (Inst Health Rec Inf Manag). 2006;47:8-9 pubmed
- Kohn D. When the writ hits the fan: the importance of managing electronic health records as business documents. J AHIMA. 2004;75:40-4 pubmed
- Rode D. Advocacy update. AHIMA efforts span local and national levels. J AHIMA. 2006;77:18, 20 pubmed
- Linker R. The 15 most common coding/billing errors. J Med Pract Manage. 2005;20:327-31 pubmed
- Givens L, Phalen D, Kokoska M. Masters of patient indexing. Interview by Jessica Squazzo. J AHIMA. 2003;74:52-3 pubmed
- Scott M. Workforce. Remote codes. Hosp Health Netw. 2005;79:19-20 pubmed
- Rode D. Keeping current on legislation vital to HIM professionals. J AHIMA. 2002;73:26-8 pubmed
- Jeffries J. Leading home-grown coders to excellence. J AHIMA. 2002;73:96 pubmed
- King M, Lipsky M, Sharp L. E/M coding problems plague physicians, coders. J AHIMA. 2002;73:62-6 pubmed..With several studies spotlighting the difficulty physicians have in applying CPT E/M codes, the authors wanted to know if credentialed coders had the same problem. Here's what they found. ..
- Zeisset A. Much in store for ICD-9, DRGs in FY 2004. J AHIMA. 2003;74:65-8 pubmed
- Dolan M, Walter J, Heet R. Patient navigators. New advocacy role a good fit for HIM professionals. J AHIMA. 2010;81:40-2; quiz 44 pubmed..More facilities are offering patients support in navigating the healthcare system, helping manage care in difficult times and assisting when low health literacy could present barriers to care. ..
- Stevens M, Sullivan M, Williamson D. Health information collection and use: the Koori Human Services Unit of the Victorian Department of Human Services. Health Inf Manag. 2006;35:32-7 pubmed