Summary: The attainment or process of attaining a new level of performance or quality.
Publications117 found, 100 shown here
- Abela Dimech F, Johnston K. Safe Searches: The Scale and Spread of a Quality Improvement Project. J Nurses Prof Dev. 2017;33:247-254 pubmed publisher..This article provides an overview of the methods used in the planning, implementation, and spread of this quality improvement initiative, focusing on the concepts of change management, leadership, and team involvement...
- Schuur J, Hsia R, Burstin H, Schull M, Pines J. Quality measurement in the emergency department: past and future. Health Aff (Millwood). 2013;32:2129-38 pubmed publisher..Policy makers can advance quality improvement in ED care by asking ED researchers and organizations to accelerate the development of quality measures of ..
- Mital S, Musunuru K, Garg V, Russell M, Lanfear D, Gupta R, et al. Enhancing Literacy in Cardiovascular Genetics: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2016;9:448-467 pubmed
- Beckman M, Forsberg L, Lindqvist H, Diez M, Enö Persson J, Ghaderi A. The dissemination of motivational interviewing in Swedish county councils: Results of a randomized controlled trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181715 pubmed publisher..This raises questions regarding the most efficient form of training to attain and sustain adequate practice standards, and how to create incentive and interest among practitioners to participate in such training. ..
- Mascherek A, Schwappach D. Patient safety climate profiles across time: Strength and level of safety climate associated with a quality improvement program in Switzerland-A cross-sectional survey study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181410 pubmed publisher..The data of two hospitals participating in a large national quality improvement program were analysed for differences in climate profiles at two measurement occasions...
- Hirsch A, Lawrence R, Kern E, Falck Ytter Y, Shumaker D, Watts B. Implementation and evaluation of a multicomponent quality improvement intervention to improve efficiency of hepatitis C screening and diagnosis. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2014;40:351-7 pubmed..A continuous quality improvement approach, supported by an HCV population management application, achieved the complete closure of an ..
- Miloslavsky M, Galler M, Moawad I, Actis J, Cummings B, El Saleeby C. The Impact of Pediatric-Specific Vancomycin Dosing Guidelines: A Quality Improvement Initiative. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..In this study, we sought to improve adherence to guideline trough targets through a quality improvement intervention. A retrospective analysis was first conducted to assess baseline performance...
- Enlow E, Passarella M, Lorch S. Continuity of Care in Infancy and Early Childhood Health Outcomes. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Continuity may improve care quality and prevent high-cost health encounters, especially for children with chronic conditions. Novel solutions are needed to improve continuity in the medical home. ..
- Stokes T. NICE quality standards: improving healthcare quality in the English NHS?. Qual Prim Care. 2013;21:207-9 pubmed
- Bhardwaj S, Barron P, Pillay Y, Treger Slavin L, Robinson P, Goga A, et al. Elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in South Africa: rapid scale-up using quality improvement. S Afr Med J. 2014;104:239-43 pubmed..MTCT has shown a significant downward trend. It is feasible to implement district-level, data-driven quality improvement processes at a national scale to improve the performance of the PMTCT programme at the local level.
- Elliott J, Wang T, Gamble G, Williams M, Matsis P, Troughton R, et al. A decade of improvement in the management of New Zealand ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) patients: results from the New Zealand Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS) Audit Group national audits of 2002, 2007 and 2012. N Z Med J. 2017;130:17-28 pubmed..However, there appears to be considerable room to optimise management, particularly with the use of timely reperfusion therapy for more patients. ..
- Tricou C, Ruer M, Ledoux M, Perceau Chambard É, Decrept D, Chabloz C, et al. [Improving the quality of cancer pain management in palliative care unit: Targeted clinical audit]. Bull Cancer. 2017;104:636-643 pubmed publisher..We need to continue to implement the improvement measures in our unit. ..
- Brimble M, Jones A. Using systems thinking in patient safety: a case study on medicines management. Nurs Manag (Harrow). 2017;24:28-33 pubmed publisher..Analysis of problems using a systems-thinking approach can help practitioners to develop robust and well informed business cases to present to decision makers. ..
- Chao C, Lai C, Chan K, Cheng K, Ho C, Chen C, et al. Multidisciplinary interventions and continuous quality improvement to reduce unplanned extubation in adult intensive care units: A 15-year experience. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6877 pubmed publisher..82/100 ventilated patients or 9.0/1000 ventilator-days. After this continue quality improvement project had been implemented, the annual number of episodes of UE declined to 27, and the rate fell to 0...
- Elysee G, Herrin J, Horwitz L. An observational study of the relationship between meaningful use-based electronic health information exchange, interoperability, and medication reconciliation capabilities. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8274 pubmed publisher..Policies focused on improving one or more of these capabilities may have ancillary benefits. ..
- Peters D, Adam T, Alonge O, Agyepong I, Tran N. Republished research: Implementation research: what it is and how to do it: implementation research is a growing but not well understood field of health research that can contribute to more effective public health and clinical policies and programmes. Br J Sports Med. 2014;48:731-6 pubmed publisher
- Bhutta Z, Salam R, Lassi Z, Austin A, Langer A. Approaches to improve quality of care (QoC) for women and newborns: conclusions, evidence gaps and research priorities. Reprod Health. 2014;11 Suppl 2:S5 pubmed publisher..While the systematic reviews highlight the effectiveness of specific quality improvement efforts on maternal and newborn health, it also illlustrates the dearth of evidence on community-, district-..
- Hayes M, Chatterjee S, Schwartzstein R. Critical Thinking in Critical Care: Five Strategies to Improve Teaching and Learning in the Intensive Care Unit. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017;14:569-575 pubmed publisher..We believe these five strategies provide practical approaches for teaching critical thinking in the intensive care unit. ..
- Seabury S, Bognar K, Xu Y, Huber C, Commerford S, Tayama D. Regional disparities in the quality of stroke care. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1234-1239 pubmed publisher..e. through training and hiring new neurologists) or by adopting decision support systems such as telemedicine. ..
- Srinivasa E, Mankoo J, Kerr C. An Evidence-Based Approach to Reducing Cardiac Telemetry Alarm Fatigue. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2017;14:265-273 pubmed publisher..Pilot changes to alarm parameters can be tested for their environmental impact in the care area. ..
- Sadler E, Porat T, Marshall I, Hoang U, Curcin V, Wolfe C, et al. Shaping innovations in long-term care for stroke survivors with multimorbidity through stakeholder engagement. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177102 pubmed publisher..Further work is required to evaluate the impact and implementation of data-driven interventions for long-term stroke survivors. ..
- Rudmik L, Xu Y, Alt J, Deconde A, Smith T, Schlosser R, et al. Evaluating Surgeon-Specific Performance for Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;143:891-898 pubmed publisher..Combined with the risk of major complications, ESS represents a high-value target for quality improvement.
- Short H, Parakati I, Heiss K, Wulkan M, Sweeney J, Raval M. Challenge of balancing duration of stay and readmissions in children's operation. Surgery. 2017;162:950-957 pubmed publisher..Cases from the 2012-2014 National Surgical Quality Improvement Project-Pediatric were organized into 30 procedural groups...
- Thaden J, Tsang M, Ayoub C, Padang R, Nkomo V, Tucker S, et al. Association Between Echocardiography Laboratory Accreditation and the Quality of Imaging and Reporting for Valvular Heart Disease. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..Future quality improvement initiatives should highlight the importance of high-quality color Doppler imaging and echocardiographic ..
- ..The results of a study of the general population show that one in five French people claim to have already seriously considered committing suicide. This represents a particularly concerning public health issue. ..
- Lee A, Burton J, Lundebjerg N. Geriatrics-for-Specialists Initiative: An Eleven-Specialty Collaboration to Improve Care of Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2140-2145 pubmed publisher..Their unique programmatic vision was that every physician, not just geriatricians, would have basic knowledge and skills in geriatric care, because geriatricians cannot and should not meet the need alone. ..
- Deutsch K, Sledź J, Mazij M, Ludwik B, Labus M, Karbarz D, et al. Maximum voltage gradient technique for optimization of ablation for typical atrial flutter with zero-fluoroscopy approach. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6939 pubmed publisher..The most optimal method for RFCA of CTI-dependent AFL seems to be MVG; however, it required validation of optimal RFCA's parameters with clinical follow-up. ..
- Kane R, Huckfeldt P, Tappen R, Engstrom G, Rojido C, Newman D, et al. Effects of an Intervention to Reduce Hospitalizations From Nursing Homes: A Randomized Implementation Trial of the INTERACT Program. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1257-1264 pubmed publisher..Medicare payment initiatives are spurring efforts to reduce potentially avoidable hospitalizations...
- Gray A, Soukaloun D, Soumphonphakdy B. A Qualitative Study of Provider Perceptions of Influences on Uptake of Pediatric Hospital Guidelines in Lao PDR. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:602-610 pubmed publisher..It provides novel understanding of why the same intervention may have a differential impact on different clinical conditions. ..
- Baxter L, Ravelojaona V, Rakotoarison H, Herbert A, Bruno E, Close K, et al. An Observational Assessment of Anesthesia Capacity in Madagascar as a Prerequisite to the Development of a National Surgical Plan. Anesth Analg. 2017;124:2001-2007 pubmed publisher..As part of a nationwide surgical safety quality improvement project, we surveyed 19 of 22 regional hospitals, representing surgical facilities caring for 75% of the ..
- Highton L, Lamb A, Fitzgerald A, Wood S, Lees V, Winterton R. An analysis of the operative experience of plastic surgery trainees in the United Kingdom using eLogbook. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1464-1471 pubmed publisher..This new data will be reflected in the updated indicative numbers required for CCT. Both trainees and trainers may use the data to monitor the acquisition of operative experience over time and target training where necessary. ..
- Negenborn V, Volders J, Krekel N, Haloua M, Bouman M, Buncamper M, et al. Breast-conserving therapy for breast cancer: Cosmetic results and options for delayed reconstruction. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1336-1344 pubmed publisher..Although several reconstructive options are available, the optimal method for revision surgery has not yet been determined. Future studies are necessary to obtain evidence-based guidelines for reconstructive surgery after BCT. ..
- Moon R, Hauck F, Colson E, Kellams A, Geller N, Heeren T, et al. The Effect of Nursing Quality Improvement and Mobile Health Interventions on Infant Sleep Practices: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:351-359 pubmed publisher..Data collection ended in October 2016. All participants were beneficiaries of a nursing quality improvement campaign in infant safe sleep practices (intervention) or breastfeeding (control), and then received a 60-..
- Lippitt M, Fairbairn M, Matsuno R, Stone R, Tanner E, Wick E, et al. Outcomes Associated With a Five-Point Surgical Site Infection Prevention Bundle in Women Undergoing Surgery for Ovarian Cancer. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;130:756-764 pubmed publisher..We conducted a prospective quality improvement study...
- Rees P, Carson Stevens A, Williams H, Panesar S, Edwards A. Quality improvement informed by a reporting and learning system. Arch Dis Child. 2014;99:702-3 pubmed
- Moxon S, Ruysen H, Kerber K, Amouzou A, Fournier S, Grove J, et al. Count every newborn; a measurement improvement roadmap for coverage data. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015;15 Suppl 2:S8 pubmed publisher..Real measurement change requires intentional transfer of leadership to countries with the greatest disease burden and will be achieved by working with centres of excellence and existing networks. ..
- Rubio G, Zoghbi Y, Karcutskie C, Thaller S. Incidence and risk factors for venous thromboembolism in bilateral breast reduction surgery: An analysis of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1514-1519 pubmed publisher..American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (2010-2014) was used to identify women undergoing bilateral breast reduction...
- Lippert M, Kousgaard M, Bjerrum L. General practitioners uses and perceptions of voluntary electronic feedback on treatment outcomes - a qualitative study. BMC Fam Pract. 2014;15:193 pubmed publisher..The results also emphasize that an indicator-based approach to quality improvement should not stand alone in general practice since some of the most central and challenging aspects of ..
- Lippi G, Banfi G, Church S, Cornes M, De Carli G, Grankvist K, et al. Preanalytical quality improvement. In pursuit of harmony, on behalf of European Federation for Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (EFLM) Working group for Preanalytical Phase (WG-PRE). Clin Chem Lab Med. 2015;53:357-70 pubmed publisher..This article, which continues a biennial tradition of collective papers on preanalytical quality improvement, is aimed to provide further contributions for pursuing quality and harmony in the preanalytical phase, and ..
- Thomas N, Bennett N. Introducing a device to assist in the application of anti-embolism stockings. Br J Nurs. 2017;26:510-513 pubmed publisher..This article describes a quality improvement project which used the Plan, Do, Study, Act (PDSA) cycle to facilitate the introduction of a device to aid ..
- Williams G, Muffly M, Mendoza J, Wixson N, Leong K, Claure R. Reporting of Perioperative Adverse Events by Pediatric Anesthesiologists at a Tertiary Children's Hospital: Targeted Interventions to Increase the Rate of Reporting. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:1515-1523 pubmed publisher..SAEs) is maintained by Wake Up Safe (WUS), a patient safety organization dedicated to pediatric anesthesia quality improvement. A confidential, electronic, perioperative IRS was instituted at our tertiary children's hospital, which is ..
- Sakata S, Klein K, Stevenson A, Hewett D. Measurement Bias of Polyp Size at Colonoscopy. Dis Colon Rectum. 2017;60:987-991 pubmed publisher..They also question the historical accuracy of polyp size data and risk estimates upon which these strategies were based. ..
- Leeds I, Alimi Y, Hobson D, Efron J, Wick E, Haut E, et al. Racial and Socioeconomic Differences Manifest in Process Measure Adherence for Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Pathway. Dis Colon Rectum. 2017;60:1092-1101 pubmed publisher..This study is a pre- and post-quality improvement implementation cohort study. This study was conducted at a tertiary academic medical center...
- Manzano A, Pawson R. Evaluating deceased organ donation: a programme theory approach. J Health Organ Manag. 2014;28:366-85 pubmed..For the methodological audience the paper caters for the burgeoning interest in programme theory evaluation while illustrating the design phase of this research strategy. ..
- Dickson K, Kinney M, Moxon S, Ashton J, Zaka N, Simen Kapeu A, et al. Scaling up quality care for mothers and newborns around the time of birth: an overview of methods and analyses of intervention-specific bottlenecks and solutions. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015;15 Suppl 2:S1 pubmed publisher..These analyses inform the development of systematic, targeted approaches to strengthening of health systems, with a focus on overcoming specific bottlenecks for the highest impact interventions. ..
- Hayward M, Mequanint S, Paquette Warren J, Bailie R, Chirila A, Dyck R, et al. The FORGE AHEAD clinical readiness consultation tool: a validated tool to assess clinical readiness for chronic disease care mobilization in Canada's First Nations. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:233 pubmed publisher..assessing the readiness of clinical teams working on-reserve in First Nations communities to participate in quality improvement (QI) to enhance diabetes care in Canada...
- Agulnik A, Mora Robles L, Forbes P, Soberanis Vasquez D, Mack R, Antillón Klussmann F, et al. Improved outcomes after successful implementation of a pediatric early warning system (PEWS) in a resource-limited pediatric oncology hospital. Cancer. 2017;123:2965-2974 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates that PEWS is a feasible and effective quality improvement measure to improve hospital care for children with cancer in hospitals with limited resources...
- Hang M, Smith B, Keck C, Keshavarzian A, Sedghi S. Increasing efficacy and reducing side effects in treatment of chronic anal fissures: A study of topical diazepam therapy. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6853 pubmed publisher..There were insignificant differences when assessing independent comparisons for pain and bleeding between the doses. ..
- Liang H, Zhu J, Kong X, Beydoun M, Wenzel J, Shi L. The Patient-Centered Care and Receipt of Preventive Services Among Older Adults With Chronic Diseases: A Nationwide Cross-sectional Study. Inquiry. 2017;54:46958017724003 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals significant associations between PCC and receipt of preventive services. PCC has demonstrated the potential to improve preventive care for older adults with chronic diseases...
- Yang C, Zhang L, Zeng L, Liang Y, Han L, Lin Y. 10-year trend in quantity and quality of pediatric randomized controlled trials published in mainland China: 2002-2011. BMC Pediatr. 2013;13:113 pubmed publisher..7% to 23.6%, p?=?0.000). In mainland China, the quantity of RCTs did not increase in the pediatric population, and the general quality was relatively poor. Quality improvements were suboptimal in the later 5 years. ..
- Milnes L, Kendal S. Involving young people with mental health problems in improving healthcare. Nurs Child Young People. 2017;29:23 pubmed publisher..It highlights the need to improve the education of registered children's nurses in the care of children and young people (CYP) with physical health problems related to self-harm. ..
- Tignanelli C, Embree G, Barzin A. House staff-led interdisciplinary morbidity and mortality conference promotes systematic improvement. J Surg Res. 2017;214:124-130 pubmed publisher..The conference also served to facilitate resident involvement in quality improvement projects. Members of the UNC Housestaff Council designed and implemented a hospital-wide M&M conference...
- Hicks C, Liu J, Yang W, DiBrito S, Johnson D, Brito A, et al. A comprehensive Choosing Wisely quality improvement initiative reduces unnecessary transfusions in an Academic Department of Surgery. Am J Surg. 2017;214:571-576 pubmed publisher..Implementation of a comprehensive Choosing Wisely campaign targeting individual providers at all levels significantly improved transfusion practices and decreased costs within the Department of Surgery. ..
- Meerhoff G, van Dulmen S, Maas M, Heijblom K, Nijhuis van der Sanden M, van der Wees P. Development and Evaluation of an Implementation Strategy for Collecting Data in a National Registry and the Use of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in Physical Therapist Practices: Quality Improvement Study. Phys Ther. 2017;97:837-851 pubmed publisher..from electronic health record systems in a registry that is fed back to physical therapists, facilitating quality improvement. The purpose of this study was to describe the development of an implementation strategy for the program ..
- Sampathkumar P, Barth J, Johnson M, Marosek N, Johnson M, Worden W, et al. Mayo Clinic Reduces Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections Through a Bundled 6-C Approach. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2016;42:254-61 pubmed..By implementing these strategies, we successfully reduced CAUTIs and have sustained this reduction through March 2016. The tools created during this project can be easily adapted for use at other institutions. ..
- McCarthy E, Subramaniam H, Prust M, Prescott M, Mpasela F, Mwango A, et al. Quality improvement intervention to increase adherence to ART prescription policy at HIV treatment clinics in Lusaka, Zambia: A cluster randomized trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175534 pubmed publisher..We designed a quality improvement intervention to improve the operationalization of this policy...
- Kaminski M, Wieszczy P, Rupinski M, Wojciechowska U, Didkowska J, Kraszewska E, et al. Increased Rate of Adenoma Detection Associates With Reduced Risk of Colorectal Cancer and Death. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:98-105 pubmed publisher..003), respectively. In a prospective study of individuals who underwent screening colonoscopy within a National Colorectal Cancer Screening Program, we associated increased ADR with a reduced risk of interval colorectal cancer and death. ..
- Zhang Y, Zhou X, Wang Q, Zhu X. Quality of reporting of multivariable logistic regression models in Chinese clinical medical journals. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6972 pubmed publisher..We recommend authors, readers, reviewers, and editors to consider MLR models more carefully and cooperate more closely with statisticians and epidemiologists. Journals should develop statistical reporting guidelines concerning MLR. ..
- Hong A, Ross Degnan D, Zhang F, Wharam J. Clinician-Level Predictors for Ordering Low-Value Imaging. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1577-1585 pubmed publisher..Clinicians who order unnecessary radiographic imaging may cause financial harm to patients who have increasing levels of cost sharing. Clinician predictors of low-value imaging are largely unknown...
- Quinn G, Le E, Soni K, Berger G, Mak Y, Pierce R. "Not so fast!" the complexity of attempting to decrease door-to-floor time for emergency department admissions. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2014;40:30-8 pubmedSuccessful quality improvement is fundamental to high-performing health care systems, but becomes increasingly difficult as systems become more complex...
- Manji F, McCarty K, Kurzweil V, Mark E, Rathmell J, Agarwala A. Measuring and Improving the Quality of Preprocedural Assessments. Anesth Analg. 2017;124:1846-1854 pubmed publisher..Analysis of comments left by providers allowed us to identify specific and actionable areas for improvement. This method can be used by other institutions to identify systemic deficiencies in the preprocedural evaluation process. ..
- Navarro A, Hardy E, Oakley B, Mohamed E, Welch N, Parsons S. The front-line general surgery consultant as a new model of emergency care. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017;99:550-554 pubmed publisher..Conclusions This novel model of emergency general surgery provision has improved clinical efficiency, patient satisfaction and outcomes. We encourage other units to consider similar programmes of service improvement...
- Wandling M, Ko C, Bankey P, Cribari C, Cryer H, Diaz J, et al. Expanding the scope of quality measurement in surgery to include nonoperative care: Results from the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program emergency general surgery pilot. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:837-845 pubmed publisher..risk-adjusted benchmarking programs, including the American College of Surgeons (ACS) National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP)...