Summary: Science dealing with the properties, distribution, and circulation of water on and below the earth's surface, and atmosphere.
- Yang M, Annable M, Jawitz J. Field-scale forward and back diffusion through low-permeability zones. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;202:47-58 pubmed publisher..The modeling approach presented in this study is designed to enable site managers to implement appropriate remediation technologies at a proper timing for high- and low-permeability zones, considering estimated plume life cycle. ..
- Sarzaeim P, Bozorg Haddad O, Fallah Mehdipour E, Loáiciga H. Environmental water demand assessment under climate change conditions. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:359 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, some climatic scenarios project environmental water demand larger than and some of them project less than the baseline one. ..
- Delin G, Herkelrath W. Effects of crude oil on water and tracer movement in the unsaturated and saturated zones. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;200:49-59 pubmed publisher..Results have important implications for modeling the fate and transport of dissolved contaminants at hydrocarbon spill sites. ..
- Johnson W, Douglas M, Lewis J, Stuecker T, Carbonero F, Austin B, et al. Do biofilm communities respond to the chemical signatures of fracking? A test involving streams in North-central Arkansas. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:29 pubmed publisher..Study streams must be carefully categorized with regard to the magnitude and extent of anthropogenic impacts. They must also be segregated with statistical confidence (as herein) before fracking impacts are monitored. ..
- Mekala C, Nambi I. Understanding the hydrologic control of N cycle: Effect of water filled pore space on heterotrophic nitrification, denitrification and dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium mechanisms in unsaturated soils. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;202:11-22 pubmed publisher..This in turn, prevents NO3- leaching and groundwater contamination. This type of modeling study should be used before planning field experiments for designing optimal irrigation and fertigation schedules. ..
- Feng C, Guo X, Yin S, Tian C, Li Y, Shen Z. Heavy metal partitioning of suspended particulate matter-water and sediment-water in the Yangtze Estuary. Chemosphere. 2017;185:717-725 pubmed publisher..e., exchangeable, carbonate, reducible, organic, and residual fractions), which can be used to identify the dominant phase-partition mechanisms (e.g., adsorption or desorption) of heavy metals. ..
- la Cecilia D, Maggi F. In-situ atrazine biodegradation dynamics in wheat (Triticum) crops under variable hydrologic regime. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;203:104-121 pubmed publisher..Greater ATZ applications were balanced by small nonlinear increments of ATZ biodegraded fraction within the root zone and therefore less ATZ leached into the shallow aquifer. ..
- Halder M, Mookerjee S, Batabyal P, Palit A. Environmental Vibrio cholerae non O1/ non O139 from the Gangetic delta: a diarrhoeal disease purview. Int J Environ Health Res. 2017;27:241-251 pubmed publisher..Haemolytic activity and biofilm formation in NOVC, during unfavourable conditions, facilitates gene transfer and emphasises the role of environmental NOVC in diarrhoeal incidence in South Bengal, India. ..
- Andreadis K, Das N, Stampoulis D, Ines A, Fisher J, Granger S, et al. The Regional Hydrologic Extremes Assessment System: A software framework for hydrologic modeling and data assimilation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176506 pubmed publisher..A set of three example implementations of RHEAS in the United States and Kenya are described to demonstrate the different features of the system in real-world applications. ..
- Xu P, Gao F, He J, Ren X, Xi W. Modelling and optimization of land use/land cover change in a developing urban catchment. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2527-2537 pubmed publisher..The assessment result of optimal planning of land use showed that annual rainfall control of land use for an optimal planning scenario with LID technology was 65%, and SS pollutant load reduction efficiency 65.6%. ..
- Davids J, van de Giesen N, Rutten M. Continuity vs. the Crowd-Tradeoffs Between Continuous and Intermittent Citizen Hydrology Streamflow Observations. Environ Manage. 2017;60:12-29 pubmed publisher..Consequently, observation frequency and costs are high, but spatial coverage of the data is limited. Citizen Hydrology can possibly overcome these challenges by leveraging easily scaled mobile technology and local residents to ..
- Hou Z, Lu W, Xue H, Lin J. A comparative research of different ensemble surrogate models based on set pair analysis for the DNAPL-contaminated aquifer remediation strategy optimization. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;203:28-37 pubmed publisher..5%. Using an ES model instead of the simulation model was critical for considerably reducing the computation time of simulation-optimization process and maintaining high computation accuracy simultaneously. ..
- Koch J, Stisen S. Citizen science: A new perspective to advance spatial pattern evaluation in hydrology. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178165 pubmed publisher..The obtained dataset can provide an insightful benchmark to the community to test novel spatial metrics. ..
- Mehdinejadiani B. Estimating the solute transport parameters of the spatial fractional advection-dispersion equation using Bees Algorithm. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;203:51-61 pubmed publisher..To sum up, the Bees Algorithm was found to be very simple, robust and accurate approach to estimate the transport parameters of the spatial fractional advection-dispersion equation. ..
- Huggett M, Kavazos C, Bernasconi R, Czarnik R, Horwitz P. Bacterioplankton assemblages in coastal ponds reflect the influence of hydrology and geomorphological setting. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017;93: pubmed publisher..Rare marine taxa, possibly dispersed from seawater assemblages via the underground karst connection, are abundant within the inland system, suggesting an important role for regional dispersal within the metacommunities. ..
- Papadaki C, Soulis K, Ntoanidis L, Zogaris S, Dercas N, Dimitriou E. Comparative Assessment of Environmental Flow Estimation Methods in a Mediterranean Mountain River. Environ Manage. 2017;60:280-292 pubmed publisher..Despite the widespread use of the method, challenges in transferability of fish habitat simulation provide undefined levels of uncertainty and may require the concurrent use of different assessment tools and site-specific study. ..
- Gao Y, Yuan Y, Wang H, Schmidt A, Wang K, Ye L. Examining the effects of urban agglomeration polders on flood events in Qinhuai River basin, China with HEC-HMS model. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2130-2138 pubmed publisher..The potential change in flood volume and peak flow with increasing impervious rate shows a linear relationship. ..
- Robson B, Lester R, Baldwin D, Bond N, Drouart R, Rolls R, et al. Modelling food-web mediated effects of hydrological variability and environmental flows. Water Res. 2017;124:108-128 pubmed publisher..These include better integration of food-web and hydraulic models, taking physiologically-based approaches to food quality effects, and better representation of variations in space and time that may create ecosystem control points. ..
- Roe H, Elliott S, Patterson R. Re-assessing the vertical distribution of testate amoeba communities in surface peats: Implications for palaeohydrological studies. Eur J Protistol. 2017;60:13-27 pubmed publisher..These findings underline the complexity of testate amoeba community structure and highlight the importance of analysing both living and dead Sphagnum stem sections when developing calibration sets. ..
- Chuah C, Tan E, Sermswan R, Ziegler A. Hydrological connectivity and Burkholderia pseudomallei prevalence in wetland environments: investigating rice-farming community's risk of exposure to melioidosis in North-East Thailand. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:287 pubmed publisher..Further, it may be important to investigate melioidosis through transdisciplinary approaches that consider the complex social and ecological contexts in which the disease occurs. ..
- Wani O, Scheidegger A, Carbajal J, Rieckermann J, Blumensaat F. Parameter estimation of hydrologic models using a likelihood function for censored and binary observations. Water Res. 2017;121:290-301 pubmed publisher..e. sensor placement. Given the advent of Internet of Things, we foresee that the plethora of censored data promised to be available can be used for parameter estimation within a formal Bayesian framework. ..
- Mogaji K, Lim H. Application of a GIS-/remote sensing-based approach for predicting groundwater potential zones using a multi-criteria data mining methodology. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:321 pubmed publisher..The overall results proved the efficacy of the data mining model and the geospatial technology in groundwater potential mapping. ..
- Yimam Y, Ochsner T, Fox G. Hydrologic cost-effectiveness ratio favors switchgrass production on marginal croplands over existing grasslands. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181924 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that, from a hydrologic perspective, it may be preferable to convert marginal cropland to switchgrass production rather than converting existing grasslands. ..
- Chen C, Wang Q. Debris flow-induced topographic changes: effects of recurrent debris flow initiation. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:449 pubmed publisher..Numerical simulation demonstrated that the parameters' mean depth, maximum depth, affected area, mean flow rate, maximum flow rate, and peak flow discharge were increased after recurrent debris flow, and peak discharge occurred quickly. ..