Summary: Methods and techniques used to genetically modify cells' biosynthetic product output and develop conditions for growing the cells as BIOREACTORS.
- Gómez Garzón C, Hernández Santana A, Dussan J. A genome-scale metabolic reconstruction of Lysinibacillus sphaericus unveils unexploited biotechnological potentials. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179666 pubmed publisher..Similarly, we highlighted the unanswered questions to be responded in order to gain a deeper understanding of the L. sphaericus TL biology. ..
- Hiebler K, Lengyel Z, Castaneda C, Makhlynets O. Functional tuning of the catalytic residue pKa in a de novo designed esterase. Proteins. 2017;85:1656-1665 pubmed publisher..Proteins 2017; 85:1656-1665. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Li J, Zhu X, Chen J, Zhao D, Zhang X, Bi C. Construction of a novel anaerobic pathway in Escherichia coli for propionate production. BMC Biotechnol. 2017;17:38 pubmed publisher..95 g/L and a yield of 0.49 mol/mol glucose. With various metabolic engineering strategies, the propionate titer from fermentation achieved 4.95 g/L...
- Hinderlich S, Tauber R, Bertozzi C, Hackenberger C. Werner Reutter: A Visionary Pioneer in Molecular Glycobiology. Chembiochem. 2017;18:1141-1145 pubmed publisher..Many of his former colleagues and students will remember his desire to exchange research ideas, which ultimately contributed to the birth of new research fields. ..
- Xue Y, Chen X, Yang C, Chang J, Shen W, Fan Y. Engineering Eschericha coli for Enhanced Tyrosol Production. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:4708-4714 pubmed publisher..71 mM tyrosol was produced from 10 mM tyrosine. This investigation suggests that microbial tyrosol production has application potential. ..
- Boldinova E, Stojkovič G, Khairullin R, Wanrooij S, Makarova A. Optimization of the expression, purification and polymerase activity reaction conditions of recombinant human PrimPol. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184489 pubmed publisher..Conversely, the yield of full-length protein expressed in S. cerevisiae was considerably lower and this system is therefore not recommended for expression of full-length recombinant human PrimPol. ..
- Yi E, Oh J, Giao N, Oh S, Park S. Enhanced production of enveloped viruses in BST-2-deficient cell lines. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2289-2297 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the elimination of BST-2 expression in virus-producing cell lines can enhance the production of viral vaccines. Biotechnol. Bioeng.2017;114: 2289-2297. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Zou X, Lin J, Mao X, Zhao S, Ren Y. Biosynthesis of L-Erythrose by Assembly of Two Key Enzymes in Gluconobacter oxydans. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:7721-7725 pubmed publisher..The final L-erythrose production was improved to 23.5 g/L with the stepwise metabolic engineering of G. oxydans, which was 1.4-fold higher than that obtained using coexpression of SDH and L-RI in G...
- Schmacht M, Lorenz E, Senz M. Microbial production of glutathione. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;33:106 pubmed publisher..This review outlines current applications of microbially produced GSH and illustrates current developments and strategies for its production. ..
- Feng J, Gu Y, Quan Y, Gao W, Dang Y, Cao M, et al. Construction of energy-conserving sucrose utilization pathways for improving poly-?-glutamic acid production in Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. Microb Cell Fact. 2017;16:98 pubmed publisher..Such a strategy can be easily extended to other microorganism hosts for reinforced biochemical production using sucrose as substrate. ..
- Chen Z, Shen X, Wang J, Wang J, Yuan Q, Yan Y. Rational engineering of p-hydroxybenzoate hydroxylase to enable efficient gallic acid synthesis via a novel artificial biosynthetic pathway. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2571-2580 pubmed publisher..Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2571-2580. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Kwak S, Kim S, Xu H, Zhang G, Lane S, Kim H, et al. Enhanced isoprenoid production from xylose by engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2581-2591 pubmed publisher..Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2581-2591. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- de Siqueira Ferreira S, Nishiyama M, Paterson A, Souza G. Biofuel and energy crops: high-yield Saccharinae take center stage in the post-genomics era. Genome Biol. 2013;14:210 pubmed publisher..Biotechnology of these plants will be important for a sustainable feedstock supply. Herein, we review knowledge useful for their improvement and synergies gained by their parallel study. ..
- Azuma Y, Zschoche R, Hilvert D. The C-terminal peptide of Aquifex aeolicus riboflavin synthase directs encapsulation of native and foreign guests by a cage-forming lumazine synthase. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10321-10327 pubmed publisher..mechanisms underlying the assembly of these supramolecular complexes could help inform new approaches for metabolic engineering, nanotechnology, and drug delivery...
- Xie N, Chen X, Wang Q, Chen D, Du Q, Zhou G, et al. Microbial Routes to (2R,3R)-2,3-Butanediol: Recent Advances and Future Prospects. Curr Top Med Chem. 2017;17:2433-2439 pubmed publisher..advances and challenges in microbial routes to (2R,3R)-2,3- butanediol production, and highlights the metabolic engineering and synthetic biological approaches used to improve titers, yields, productivities, and optical purities...
- Lin B, Qiao Y, Shi B, Tao Y. Polysialic acid biosynthesis and production in Escherichia coli: current state and perspectives. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;100:1-8 pubmed..Bioprocess optimization and metabolic engineering have allowed the efficient production of PSA...
- Imatoukene N, Verbeke J, Beopoulos A, Idrissi Taghki A, Thomasset B, Sarde C, et al. A metabolic engineering strategy for producing conjugated linoleic acids using the oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;101:4605-4616 pubmed publisher..In a previous study, a CLA degradation rate of 117 mg/L/h was observed in bioconversion medium. Here, by eliminating ?-oxidation, we achieved a much lower rate of 1.8 mg/L/h. ..
- Tao W, Lv L, Chen G. Engineering Halomonas species TD01 for enhanced polyhydroxyalkanoates synthesis via CRISPRi. Microb Cell Fact. 2017;16:48 pubmed publisher..CRISPRi can be expected to use for more metabolic engineering applications in non-model organisms.
- Lin Z, Xu Z, Li Y, Wang Z, Chen T, Zhao X. Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli for the production of riboflavin. Microb Cell Fact. 2014;13:104 pubmed publisher..This work collectively demonstrates that E. coli has a potential to be a microbial cell factory for riboflavin bioproduction. ..
- Lv Y, Cheng X, Du G, Zhou J, Chen J. Engineering of an H2 O2 auto-scavenging in vivo cascade for pinoresinol production. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2066-2074 pubmed publisher..Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2066-2074. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Xiu Y, Jang S, Jones J, Zill N, Linhardt R, Yuan Q, et al. Naringenin-responsive riboswitch-based fluorescent biosensor module for Escherichia coli co-cultures. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2235-2244 pubmed publisher..high-throughput rapid screening techniques is of upmost importance for the future of synthetic biology and metabolic engineering. Here we describe the development of an RNA riboswitch-based biosensor module with dual fluorescent ..
- Kwak S, Jin Y. Production of fuels and chemicals from xylose by engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a review and perspective. Microb Cell Fact. 2017;16:82 pubmed publisher..While xylose has been regarded as a sugar to be utilized because it is present in cellulosic hydrolysates, potential benefits of using xylose instead of glucose for yeast-based biotechnological processes need to be realized. ..
- Chao R, Yuan Y, Zhao H. Recent advances in DNA assembly technologies. FEMS Yeast Res. 2015;15:1-9 pubmedDNA assembly is one of the most important foundational technologies for synthetic biology and metabolic engineering. Since the development of the restriction digestion and ligation method in the early 1970s, a significant amount of ..
- Wood L, Larocque G, Clarke N, Sarkar S, Royle S. New tools for "hot-wiring" clathrin-mediated endocytosis with temporal and spatial precision. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:4351-4365 pubmed publisher..Two distinct sites on the ?2 subunit, one on the hinge and the other on the appendage, are necessary and sufficient for functional clathrin engagement. ..
- Eriksen D, Hsieh P, Lynn P, Zhao H. Directed evolution of a cellobiose utilization pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by simultaneously engineering multiple proteins. Microb Cell Fact. 2013;12:61 pubmed publisher..The improved in vivo cellobiose utilization demonstrated here could help to decrease the in vitro enzyme load in biomass pretreatment, ultimately contributing to a reduction in the high cost of biofuel production. ..
- Kruyer N, Peralta Yahya P. Metabolic engineering strategies to bio-adipic acid production. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2017;45:136-143 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the metabolic engineering and nascent protein engineering strategies undertaken in each of these chassis to convert different ..
- Kang M, Zhou Y, Buijs N, Nielsen J. Functional screening of aldehyde decarbonylases for long-chain alkane production by Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microb Cell Fact. 2017;16:74 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae. This work will be helpful to decide an AD candidate for alkane biosynthesis in S. cerevisiae and it will provide useful information for further investigation of AD enzymes with improved activities. ..
- Ata Ö, Prielhofer R, Gasser B, Mattanovich D, Calik P. Transcriptional engineering of the glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase promoter for improved heterologous protein production in Pichia pastoris. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2319-2327 pubmed publisher..Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2319-2327. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Ryu Y, Chandran S, Kim K, Lee S. Oligo- and dsDNA-mediated genome editing using a tetA dual selection system in Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181501 pubmed publisherThe ability to precisely and seamlessly modify a target genome is needed for metabolic engineering and synthetic biology techniques aimed at creating potent biosystems...
- Adrio J. Oleaginous yeasts: Promising platforms for the production of oleochemicals and biofuels. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:1915-1920 pubmed publisher..This mini-review summarizes the metabolic engineering strategies developed in oleaginous yeasts within the last 2 years to improve process metrics (titer, yield,..
- Wang X, Liu Y, Wei W, Zhou X, Yuan W, Balamurugan S, et al. Enrichment of Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids by Coordinated Expression of Multiple Metabolic Nodes in the Oleaginous Microalga Phaeodactylum tricornutum. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:7713-7720 pubmed publisher..Here, we report a sequential metabolic engineering strategy that systematically overcomes the metabolic bottlenecks and overproduces LC-PUFAs...
- Okahashi N, Matsuda F, Yoshikawa K, Shirai T, Matsumoto Y, Wada M, et al. Metabolic engineering of isopropyl alcohol-producing Escherichia coli strains with 13 C-metabolic flux analysis. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2782-2793 pubmed publisherb>Metabolic engineering of isopropyl alcohol (IPA)-producing Escherichia coli strains was conducted along with 13 C-metabolic flux analysis (MFA). A metabolically engineered E...
- He L, Xiao Y, Gebreselassie N, Zhang F, Antoniewiez M, Tang Y, et al. Central metabolic responses to the overproduction of fatty acids in Escherichia coli based on 13C-metabolic flux analysis. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2014;111:575-85 pubmed..coli consumed significantly higher cellular maintenance energy than the control strain. We discussed the strategies to future strain development and process improvements for fatty acid production in E. coli. ..
- Rodriguez A, Martinez J, Flores N, Escalante A, Gosset G, Bolivar F. Engineering Escherichia coli to overproduce aromatic amino acids and derived compounds. Microb Cell Fact. 2014;13:126 pubmed publisher..By combining metabolic engineering strategies with developments in synthetic biology, systems biology and bioprocess engineering, notable ..
- Yu H, Chen J, Liu S, Zhang A, Xu X, Wang X, et al. Large-scale production of functional human lysozyme in transgenic cloned goats. J Biotechnol. 2013;168:676-83 pubmed
- Czarnotta E, Dianat M, Korf M, Granica F, Merz J, Maury J, et al. Fermentation and purification strategies for the production of betulinic acid and its lupane-type precursors in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2528-2538 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the potential of microbial production of plant derived triterpenoids in S. cerevisiae by combining metabolic and process engineering. ..
- Liu J, Li J, Shin H, Liu L, Du G, Chen J. Protein and metabolic engineering for the production of organic acids. Bioresour Technol. 2017;239:412-421 pubmed publisher..we provide an overview of current developments in the production of organic acids using protein and metabolic engineering strategies...
- Reynolds T, Courtney C, Erickson K, Wolfe L, Chatterjee A, Nagpal P, et al. ROS mediated selection for increased NADPH availability in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2685-2689 pubmed publisher..We report a loss of function mutation in the gene hdfR appears to increase NADPH availability in E. coli. Additionally, we show this excess NADPH can be used to improve the production of 3HP in E. coli. ..
- Gao W, Wu Z, Sun J, Ni X, Xia H. Modulation of kanamycin B and kanamycin A biosynthesis in Streptomyces kanamyceticus via metabolic engineering. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181971 pubmed publisher..kanamyceticus. Moreover, based on the clarified biosynthetic pathway, we obtained a kanamycin B-high-yield strain and an optimized kanamycin A-producing strain with minimal byproduct. ..
- Gupta S, Srivastava S, Sharma A, Nalage V, Salvi D, Kushwaha H, et al. Metabolic engineering of CHO cells for the development of a robust protein production platform. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181455 pubmed publisher..A major challenge in metabolic engineering is to balance the flux of the tuned heterogonous metabolic pathway and achieve efficient metabolic ..
- Shin H, Nijland J, de Waal P, Driessen A. The amino-terminal tail of Hxt11 confers membrane stability to the Hxt2 sugar transporter and improves xylose fermentation in the presence of acetic acid. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:1937-1945 pubmed publisher..Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 1937-1945. © 2017 The Authors. Biotechnology and Bioengineering Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc...
- Opgenorth P, Korman T, Iancu L, Bowie J. A molecular rheostat maintains ATP levels to drive a synthetic biochemistry system. Nat Chem Biol. 2017;13:938-942 pubmed publisher..8 g/L of isobutanol from glucose in 91% theoretical yield with an initial productivity of 1.3 g/L/h. The molecular rheostat concept can be used in the design of continuously operating, self-sustaining synthetic biochemistry systems. ..
- Cooper S, Bakal C. Accelerating Live Single-Cell Signalling Studies. Trends Biotechnol. 2017;35:422-433 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we discuss novel approaches that are allowing us to explore how pathways respond to changes in inputs and even predict the fate of a cell based upon its signalling history and state. ..
- Hou Y, Hossain G, Li J, Shin H, Du G, Chen J, et al. Metabolic engineering of cofactor flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) synthesis and regeneration in Escherichia coli for production of ?-keto acids. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:1928-1936 pubmed publisher..how to efficiently accelerate FAD synthesis and regeneration is an important topic in biocatalysis and metabolic engineering. In this study, a system involving the synthesis pathway and regeneration of FAD was engineered in ..
- Yamada R, Wakita K, Mitsui R, Ogino H. Enhanced d-lactic acid production by recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae following optimization of the global metabolic pathway. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2075-2084 pubmed publisher..genes and the Leuconostoc mesenteroides d-LDH gene was optimized using a previously developed global metabolic engineering strategy, and repeated batch fermentation was carried out using the resultant strain YPH499/dPdA3-34/DLDH/..
- Su H, Lin J, Wang Y, Chen Q, Wang G, Tan F. Engineering Brevibacterium flavum for the production of renewable bioenergy: C4-C5 advanced alcohols. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:1946-1958 pubmed publisher..Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 1946-1958. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Akita H, Nakashima N, Hoshino T. Production of d-lactate using a pyruvate-producing Escherichia coli strain. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1452-1455 pubmed publisher..4 mM d-lactate was produced from biomass-based medium without supplemental mineral or nitrogen sources. Our results show that d-lactate can be produced in simple batch fermentation processes. ..
- Luengo A, Gui D, Vander Heiden M. Targeting Metabolism for Cancer Therapy. Cell Chem Biol. 2017;24:1161-1180 pubmed publisher..Here, we review our current understanding of cancer metabolism and discuss how this might guide treatments targeting the metabolic requirements of tumor cells. ..
- Claassens N, Siliakus M, Spaans S, Creutzburg S, Nijsse B, Schaap P, et al. Improving heterologous membrane protein production in Escherichia coli by combining transcriptional tuning and codon usage algorithms. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184355 pubmed publisher..In addition, further improvements may be realized by attempting different codon usage variants, such as codon harmonized variants, which can now be easily generated through our online Codon Harmonizer tool. ..
- Bernardinelli G, Högberg B. Entirely enzymatic nanofabrication of DNA-protein conjugates. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:e160 pubmed publisher..Establishing a method where protein-DNA conjugates can be made entirely using biological or enzymatic processing, opens a path to harvest these structures directly from bacteria and ultimately in-vivo assembly. ..
- Wheeldon I, Christopher P, Blanch H. Integration of heterogeneous and biochemical catalysis for production of fuels and chemicals from biomass. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2017;45:127-135 pubmed publisher..This investment has helped create new metabolic engineering and synthetic biology approaches, novel homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts, and chemical and ..
- Yang M, Zhang X. Construction of pyruvate producing strain with intact pyruvate dehydrogenase and genome-wide transcription analysis. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;33:59 pubmed publisher..Biochemical pathways involved in pyruvate accumulation in YP211 (a). Transcriptional differences of genes related to pyruvate metabolism between strain YP211 and E. coli wild-type (b). ..
- Moraïs S, Morag E, Barak Y, Goldman D, Hadar Y, Lamed R, et al. Deconstruction of lignocellulose into soluble sugars by native and designer cellulosomes. MBio. 2012;3: pubmed publisher..Future efforts should be invested to improve these processes to approach or surpass the efficiency of natural cellulosomes for cost-effective production of biofuels...
- Du Z, Zhang Y, Qian Z, Xiao H, Zhong J. Combination of traditional mutation and metabolic engineering to enhance ansamitocin P-3 production in Actinosynnema pretiosum. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2794-2806 pubmed publisher..In this work, a combinatorial approach including random mutation and metabolic engineering was conducted to enhance AP-3 biosynthesis in Actinosynnema pretiosum...
- Yang X, Wang H, Li C, Lin C. Restoring of Glucose Metabolism of Engineered Yarrowia lipolytica for Succinic Acid Production via a Simple and Efficient Adaptive Evolution Strategy. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:4133-4139 pubmed publisher..The experimental results in this study show that a simple and efficient strategy could facilitate the glucose uptake rate in succinic acid fermentation using glucose-rich substrates. ..
- Zhuge X, Li J, Shin H, Liu L, Du G, Chen J. Improved propionic acid production with metabolically engineered Propionibacterium jensenii by an oxidoreduction potential-shift control strategy. Bioresour Technol. 2015;175:606-12 pubmed publisher..We integrated the ORP control strategy with a fed-batch culture method and increased PA production to 39.53g/L. This new ORP control strategy may be useful in the optimization of other anaerobic processes. ..
- Gottlieb K, Albermann C, Sprenger G. Improvement of L-phenylalanine production from glycerol by recombinant Escherichia coli strains: the role of extra copies of glpK, glpX, and tktA genes. Microb Cell Fact. 2014;13:96 pubmed publisher..Engineering of glycerol metabolism towards L-Phe production in E. coli has to balance the pathways of gluconeogenesis, glycolysis, and PPP to improve the supply of the precursors, PEP and E4P. ..