Summary: Methods and techniques used to modify or select cells and develop conditions for growing cells for biosynthetic production of molecules (METABOLIC ENGINEERING), for generation of tissue structures and organs in vitro (TISSUE ENGINEERING), or for other BIOENGINEERING research objectives.
- Leibman R, Riley J. Engineering T Cells to Functionally Cure HIV-1 Infection. Mol Ther. 2015;23:1149-1159 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on T-cell gene-engineering and gene-editing strategies that have been performed in efforts to inhibit HIV-1 replication and highlights the requirements for a successful gene therapy-mediated functional cure. ..
- Yang X, Pabon L, Murry C. Engineering adolescence: maturation of human pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes. Circ Res. 2014;114:511-23 pubmed publisher..Future studies will benefit from the combinatorial use of different approaches that more closely mimic nature's diverse cues, which may result in broader changes in structure, function, and therapeutic applicability. ..
- Lim W, June C. The Principles of Engineering Immune Cells to Treat Cancer. Cell. 2017;168:724-740 pubmed publisher..We discuss how these tools could be used to design the next generation of smart T cell precision therapeutics. ..
- Lo S, Li K, Chang Y, Hsu M, Sung L, Vu T, et al. Enhanced critical-size calvarial bone healing by ASCs engineered with Cre/loxP-based hybrid baculovirus. Biomaterials. 2017;124:1-11 pubmed publisher..These data implicated the potential of Cre/loxP-based hybrid baculovirus vector for ASCs engineering and calvarial bone healing. ..
- Yang Q, An Y, Zhu S, Zhang R, Loke C, Cipollo J, et al. Glycan Remodeling of Human Erythropoietin (EPO) Through Combined Mammalian Cell Engineering and Chemoenzymatic Transglycosylation. ACS Chem Biol. 2017;12:1665-1673 pubmed publisher..This study represents the first example of site-selective chemoenzymatic glycan engineering of complex glycoproteins carrying multiple N-glycans. ..
- Yang N, Chanda S, Marro S, Ng Y, Janas J, Haag D, et al. Generation of pure GABAergic neurons by transcription factor programming. Nat Methods. 2017;14:621-628 pubmed publisher..The generation of defined populations of functionally mature human GABAergic neurons represents an important step toward enabling the study of diseases affecting inhibitory synaptic transmission. ..
- Sadelain M, Riviere I, Riddell S. Therapeutic T cell engineering. Nature. 2017;545:423-431 pubmed publisher..Advances in the selection of optimal T cells, genetic engineering, and cell manufacturing are poised to broaden T-cell-based therapies and foster new applications in infectious diseases and autoimmunity. ..
- Klose D, Woitok M, Niesen J, Beerli R, Grawunder U, Fischer R, et al. Generation of an artificial human B cell line test system using Transpo-mAbTM technology to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy of novel antigen-specific fusion proteins. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180305 pubmed publisher..Our data confirm that antigen-based fusion proteins containing granzyme B (R201K) are suitable candidates for the depletion of autoreactive B cells. ..
- Nolbrant S, Heuer A, Parmar M, Kirkeby A. Generation of high-purity human ventral midbrain dopaminergic progenitors for in vitro maturation and intracerebral transplantation. Nat Protoc. 2017;12:1962-1979 pubmed publisher..This protocol is free of xeno-derived products and can be performed under good manufacturing practice (GMP) conditions. ..