Genomes and Genes
Summary: Blood infection that occurs in an infant younger than 90 days old. Early-onset sepsis is seen in the first week of life and most often appears within 24 hours of birth. Late-onset occurs after 1 week and before 3 months of age.
- Li G, Standing J, Bielicki J, Hope W, van den Anker J, Heath P, et al. The Potential Role of Fosfomycin in Neonatal Sepsis Caused by Multidrug-Resistant Bacteria. Drugs. 2017;77:941-950 pubmed publisher..b>Neonatal sepsis remains a substantial cause of morbidity and mortality at a global level, with evidence that MDR bacteria ..
- Kelly L, Shivananda S, Murthy P, Srinivasjois R, Shah P. Antibiotics for neonates born through meconium-stained amniotic fluid. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;6:CD006183 pubmed publisher..The primary outcome was risk of early- and late-onset neonatal sepsis. Antibiotics did not decrease the risk of sepsis in neonates with a diagnosis of MAS (RR 1...
- Greenberg R, Kandefer S, Do B, Smith P, Stoll B, Bell E, et al. Late-onset Sepsis in Extremely Premature Infants: 2000-2011. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2017;36:774-779 pubmed publisher..The incidence of LOS decreased over time. Further investigation is warranted to determine which interventions have the greatest impact on infection rates. ..
- KÃ¼ltÃ¼rsay N, AÅŸkar N, Terek D, Yeniel A, Altun KÃ¶roÄŸlu Ã, Yalaz M, et al. The Change of Perinatal Mortality Over Three Decades in a Reference Centre in the Aegean Region: Neonatal Mortality has decreased but Foetal Mortality Remains Unchanged. Balkan Med J. 2017;34:553-558 pubmed publisher..In order to decrease foetal and perinatal mortality rates more efficiently, reducing consanguineous marriages and providing better antenatal care for high risk pregnancies are needed. ..
- Brown R, Marchesi J, Lee Y, Smith A, Lehne B, Kindinger L, et al. Vaginal dysbiosis increases risk of preterm fetal membrane rupture, neonatal sepsis and is exacerbated by erythromycin. BMC Med. 2018;16:9 pubmed publisher..rupture of the fetal membranes (PPROM) precedes 30% of preterm births and is a risk factor for early onset neonatal sepsis. As PPROM is strongly associated with ascending vaginal infection, prophylactic antibiotics are widely used...
- Alcock G, Liley H, Cooke L, Gray P. Prevention of neonatal late-onset sepsis: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:98 pubmed publisher..Date: 06/03/2001; Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry (ANZCTR), TRN registration number: ACTRN12617000455369 . Date: 28/03/2017 (retrospectively registered). ..
- Pammi M, O Brien J, Ajami N, Wong M, Versalovic J, Petrosino J. Development of the cutaneous microbiome in the preterm infant: A prospective longitudinal study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176669 pubmed publisherb>Neonatal sepsis in preterm infants is often due to organisms that colonize the skin including Staphylococcus spp. and Candida spp...