Summary: Differences in access to or availability of medical facilities and services.
- Gibbon S. Entangled local biologies: genetic risk, bodies and inequities in Brazilian cancer genetics. Anthropol Med. 2017;24:174-188 pubmed publisher..In an era of epigenetics this raises new opportunities and challenges for anthropological analysis as intervention. ..
- Hayes S, Riley P, Radley D, McCarthy D. Reducing Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Access to Care: Has the Affordable Care Act Made a Difference?. Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2017;2017:1-14 pubmed..The ACA’s coverage expansions were associated with increased access to care and reduced racial and ethnic disparities in access to care, with generally greater improvements in Medicaid expansion states. ..
- Goyal M, Johnson T, Chamberlain J, Casper T, Simmons T, Alessandrini E, et al. Racial and Ethnic Differences in Antibiotic Use for Viral Illness in Emergency Departments. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Future research should seek to understand why racial and ethnic differences in overprescribing exist, including parental expectations, provider perceptions of parental expectations, and implicit provider bias. ..
- He H, Xiao L, Torrie J, Auger N, McHugh N, Zoungrana H, et al. Disparities in infant hospitalizations in Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations in Quebec, Canada. CMAJ. 2017;189:E739-E746 pubmed publisher..The findings identify substantial unmet needs in disease prevention and medical care for Indigenous infants. ..
- Edwards E. Assessing Changes to Medicaid Managed Care Regulations: Facilitating Integration of Physical and Behavioral Health Care. Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2017;2017:1-7 pubmed..As states consider how to effectively control Medicaid costs, many are looking to integrate behavioral and medical care, including long-term services and supports, particularly for individuals with complex needs...
- Daly M, Jung A, Hanseman D, Shah S, Paquette I. Surviving rectal cancer: examination of racial disparities surrounding access to care. J Surg Res. 2017;211:100-106 pubmed publisher..8 mo for African Americans (P < 0.001). These data show that access to standard care appears to decrease but not eliminate the survival differences between African Americans and Caucasians with rectal cancer. ..
- Towne S. Socioeconomic, Geospatial, and Geopolitical Disparities in Access to Health Care in the US 2011-2015. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..g., mechanisms targeted to bridge gaps in access to care) to those most at-risk and to consider state-level policy decisions that may impact access to care. ..
- Haynes E, Taylor K, Durey A, Bessarab D, Thompson S. Examining the potential contribution of social theory to developing and supporting Australian Indigenous-mainstream health service partnerships. Int J Equity Health. 2014;13:75 pubmed publisher..This approach allows the transformative nature of Australian Indigenous-mainstream 'culture' to be explored and understood in its lived expression; rather than relegated to prescriptive categories. ..
- Saadi A, Mateen F. International Issues: Teleneurology in humanitarian crises: Lessons from the Médecins Sans Frontières experience. Neurology. 2017;89:e16-e19 pubmed publisher..Lessons from our experience may help optimize teleneurology's effect and reduce disparities in neurologic care, particularly in humanitarian crises. ..
- Kirby J, Kaneda T. 'Double jeopardy' measure suggests blacks and hispanics face more severe disparities than previously indicated. Health Aff (Millwood). 2013;32:1766-72 pubmed publisher..These life expectancy measures--designed for ease of use by policy makers, researchers, and the general public--have the potential to reframe the discussion of disparities and monitor progress toward their elimination. ..
- Stewart K, O Reilly P. Exploring the attitudes, knowledge and beliefs of nurses and midwives of the healthcare needs of the LGBTQ population: An integrative review. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;53:67-77 pubmed publisher..It is recommended that LGBTQ issues be included within undergraduate nursing and midwifery education or as part of continued professional development. ..
- Weber C. Dialectics of a medical provision policy in priority areas in Brazil. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2017;63:268-277 pubmed publisher..There is no point in having physicians if they do not have safe and ethical conditions to establish the diagnosis and a treatment plan, as well as to monitor the rehabilitation of the patient. ..
- Su S, Bao H, Wang X, Wang Z, Li X, Zhang M, et al. The quality of invasive breast cancer care for low reimbursement rate patients: A retrospective study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184866 pubmed publisher..Patients with lower rate of reimbursement were less likely to receive recommended care. Our findings could provide important support for further healthcare reform and quality improvement in breast cancer care. ..
- Vutien P, Jin M, Le M, Nguyen P, Trinh S, Huang J, et al. Regional differences in treatment rates for patients with chronic hepatitis C infection: Systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183851 pubmed publisher..Linkage to care should even be of higher priority now that well-tolerated cure is available. ..
- Frohman H, Martin J, Le A, Dineen S, Tzeng C. Failure to operate on resectable gastric cancer: implications for policy changes and regionalization. J Surg Res. 2017;214:229-239 pubmed publisher..To mitigate national disparities in surgical care, policymakers should consider improving insurance coverage in underserved areas and regionalization of gastric cancer care. ..
- Jesuthasan J, SÃ¶nmez E, Abels I, Kurmeyer C, Gutermann J, Kimbel R, et al. Near-death experiences, attacks by family members, and absence of health care in their home countries affect the quality of life of refugee women in Germany: a multi-region, cross-sectional, gender-sensitive study. BMC Med. 2018;16:15 pubmed publisher..We encourage the early investigation of these traumatic experiences to rapidly identify women at higher risk and to improve health care for somatic and mental illness. ..
- Cruz Flores S, Rabinstein A, Biller J, Elkind M, Griffith P, Gorelick P, et al. Racial-ethnic disparities in stroke care: the American experience: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2011;42:2091-116 pubmed publisher..Acknowledging the presence of disparities and understanding the factors that contribute to them are necessary first steps. More research is required to understand these differences and find solutions. ..
- Zhang T, Xu Y, Ren J, Sun L, Liu C. Inequality in the distribution of health resources and health services in China: hospitals versus primary care institutions. Int J Equity Health. 2017;16:42 pubmed publisher..By contrast, poorer people are more likely to use poorly-resourced primary care institutions for inpatient care. There is a risk of the emergence of a two-tiered health care delivery system. ..
- Seabury S, Bognar K, Xu Y, Huber C, Commerford S, Tayama D. Regional disparities in the quality of stroke care. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1234-1239 pubmed publisher..e. through training and hiring new neurologists) or by adopting decision support systems such as telemedicine. ..
- Profit J, Gould J, Bennett M, Goldstein B, Draper D, Phibbs C, et al. Racial/Ethnic Disparity in NICU Quality of Care Delivery. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Providing feedback of disparity scores to NICUs could serve as an important starting point for promoting improvement and reducing disparities. ..
- Hajjar I, Rosenberger K, Kulshreshtha A, Ayonayon H, Yaffe K, Goldstein F. Association of JNC-8 and SPRINT Systolic Blood Pressure Levels With Cognitive Function and Related Racial Disparity. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1199-1205 pubmed publisher..The association of these discordant SBP targets with cognition and differences by race have not been systematically evaluated in the same population...
- Apouey B, Geoffard P. Child health and access to health care in France: Evidence on the role of family income. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique. 2014;62:179-90 pubmed..The relationship between income and health in adulthood has antecedents in childhood. Improving access to health care services for children from low-income families may not be enough to decrease social health inequalities in childhood. ..
- Oikonomou N, Tountas Y. Insufficient primary care services to the rural population of Greece. Rural Remote Health. 2011;11:1661 pubmed
- Tumin D, King A, Walia H, Tobias J, Raman V. Discontinuous insurance coverage predicts prolonged hospital stay after pediatric adenotonsillectomy. J Surg Res. 2017;218:86-91 pubmed publisher..In this study, we explored whether recent insurance discontinuity was associated with prolonged inpatient hospitalization after adenotonsillectomy in children...
- Peters N, Javed A, He J, Wolfgang C, Weiss M. Association of socioeconomics, surgical therapy, and survival of early stage hepatocellular carcinoma. J Surg Res. 2017;210:253-260 pubmed publisher..Of these factors, age and marital status were independently associated with increased disease-specific survival. ..
- Cole N, Bedford M, Cai A, Jones C, Cairns H, Jayawardene S. Black ethnicity predicts better survival on dialysis despite greater deprivation and co-morbidity: a UK study. Clin Nephrol. 2014;82:77-82 pubmed publisher..The reasons behind this remain poorly understood but a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease in black patients and more kidney-limited disease may be important. ..
- McLaren Z, Ardington C, Leibbrandt M. Distance decay and persistent health care disparities in South Africa. BMC Health Serv Res. 2014;14:541 pubmed publisher..Much has been done to redress disparities in South Africa since the end of apartheid but progress is still needed to achieve equity in health care access. ..
- Wang E, Aminawung J, Wildeman C, Ross J, Krumholz H. High incarceration rates among black men enrolled in clinical studies may compromise ability to identify disparities. Health Aff (Millwood). 2014;33:848-55 pubmed publisher..We believe that community-recruited subjects who are incarcerated should be allowed to continue participating in observational clinical research that poses minimal risk to participants. ..
- Fedewa S, Flanders W, Ward K, Lin C, Jemal A, Goding Sauer A, et al. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Interval Colorectal Cancer Incidence: A Population-Based Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med. 2017;166:857-866 pubmed publisher..American Cancer Society. ..
- Protheroe J, Wallace L, Rowlands G, DeVoe J. Health literacy: setting an international collaborative research agenda. BMC Fam Pract. 2009;10:51 pubmed publisher..International collaborations and comparative studies could illuminate some of the possible determinants of disparities, and also possibly provide a vehicle to examine other research questions of interest. ..
- Cuevas A, Williams D, Albert M. Psychosocial Factors and Hypertension: A Review of the Literature. Cardiol Clin. 2017;35:223-230 pubmed publisher..Future research on psychosocial factors and hypertension needs to enhance the effectiveness of interventions to reduce hypertension risk in ethnic minority communities. ..