Summary: Available manpower, facilities, revenue, equipment, and supplies to produce requisite health care and services.
- Larg A, Moss J. Cost-of-illness studies: a guide to critical evaluation. Pharmacoeconomics. 2011;29:653-71 pubmed publisher..The intention is to equip a general audience with an understanding of the most important issues that influence the validity of a COI study, and the ability to recognize the most common limitations in such work. ..
- Dalal A, Shah M, Lunacsek O, Hanania N. Clinical and economic burden of patients diagnosed with COPD with comorbid cardiovascular disease. Respir Med. 2011;105:1516-22 pubmed publisher..001). COPD patients with CVD have significantly higher risk of COPD exacerbations and increased costs than COPD patients without CVD. This suggests a close association between COPD and CVD that warrants further exploration. ..
- Sharkey A, Chopra M, Jackson D, Winch P, Minkovitz C. Influences on healthcare-seeking during final illnesses of infants in under-resourced South African settings. J Health Popul Nutr. 2011;29:379-87 pubmed
- Ivanova J, Birnbaum H, Kidolezi Y, Subramanian G, Khan S, Stensland M. Direct and indirect costs of employees with treatment-resistant and non-treatment-resistant major depressive disorder. Curr Med Res Opin. 2010;26:2475-84 pubmed publisher..Based on comorbidities and healthcare resources used, patients with TRD appeared to represent a clinically complex subgroup of individuals with MDD. TRD was associated with significant cost burden. ..
- Garcia Polo C, Alcázar Navarrete B, Ruiz Iturriaga L, Herrejón A, Ros Lucas J, García Sidro P, et al. Factors associated with high healthcare resource utilisation among COPD patients. Respir Med. 2012;106:1734-42 pubmed publisher..COPD patients who incur higher healthcare resource utilisation show reduced physical activity, increased respiratory failure and increased systemic inflammation. ..
- Rudge J, Hanvoravongchai P, Krumkamp R, Chavez I, Adisasmito W, Chau P, et al. Health system resource gaps and associated mortality from pandemic influenza across six Asian territories. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31800 pubmed publisher..Effective mobilization of resources across administrative boundaries could go some way towards minimizing avoidable deaths. ..
- Kanchanachitra C, Lindelow M, Johnston T, Hanvoravongchai P, Lorenzo F, Huong N, et al. Human resources for health in southeast Asia: shortages, distributional challenges, and international trade in health services. Lancet. 2011;377:769-81 pubmed publisher..There is also a need for improved dialogue between the health and trade sectors on how to balance economic opportunities associated with trade in health services with domestic health needs and equity issues. ..
- Wimo A, Jonsson L, Zbrozek A. The Resource Utilization in Dementia (RUD) instrument is valid for assessing informal care time in community-living patients with dementia. J Nutr Health Aging. 2010;14:685-90 pubmed..81), for instrumental ADL (ICC 0.74), for supervision (ICC 0.78) and for total time (ICC 0.80). The RUD instrument appears to accurately estimate the amount of informal care provided by caregivers to dementia patients. ..
- Thairu L, Wirth M, Lunze K. Innovative newborn health technology for resource-limited environments. Trop Med Int Health. 2013;18:117-28 pubmed publisher..Making them available to mothers, newborns, and birth attendants in resource-limited countries at the time and place of birth will require innovative and creative production, distribution, and implementation approaches. ..
- Getahun H, Kittikraisak W, Heilig C, Corbett E, Ayles H, Cain K, et al. Development of a standardized screening rule for tuberculosis in people living with HIV in resource-constrained settings: individual participant data meta-analysis of observational studies. PLoS Med. 2011;8:e1000391 pubmed publisher..Use of this algorithm should result in earlier TB diagnosis and treatment, and should allow for substantial scale-up of IPT. ..
- Vorwerk H, Zink K, Schiller R, Budach V, Bohmer D, Kampfer S, et al. Protection of quality and innovation in radiation oncology: the prospective multicenter trial the German Society of Radiation Oncology (DEGRO-QUIRO study). Evaluation of time, attendance of medical staff, and resources during radiotherapy with IMRT. Strahlenther Onkol. 2014;190:433-43 pubmed publisher..However, one should be aware that a number of necessary and time-consuming activities were not evaluated in the present study. ..
- Iwelunmor J, Blackstone S, Veira D, Nwaozuru U, AIRHIHENBUWA C, Munodawafa D, et al. Toward the sustainability of health interventions implemented in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and conceptual framework. Implement Sci. 2016;11:43 pubmed publisher..We propose a conceptual framework that draws attention to sustainability as a core component of the overall life cycle of interventions implemented in the region. ..
- Macinko J, Jimenez G, Cruz Peñate M. Primary care performance in Dominica. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2015;37:104-12 pubmed..This two-staged approach could be adapted and used in other countries. ..
- Hussain A, Mullard A, Oppat W, Nolan K. Increased resource utilization and overall morbidity are associated with general versus regional anesthesia for carotid endarterectomy in data collected by the Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:802-809 pubmed publisher..This has implications for enterprise resource planning initiatives and the CEA value proposition in general, which is of special interest to both hospitals and payers. ..
- Modi S, Chiu A, Ng eno B, Kellerman S, Sugandhi N, Muhe L. Understanding the contribution of common childhood illnesses and opportunistic infections to morbidity and mortality in children living with HIV in resource-limited settings. AIDS. 2013;27 Suppl 2:S159-67 pubmed publisher..In order to reduce opportunistic infection-related mortality, early ART must be expanded, training for front-line clinicians must be improved, and additional research is needed to improve screening and diagnostic algorithms. ..
- Richardson E, Malakhova I, Novik I, Famenka A. Belarus: health system review. Health Syst Transit. 2013;15:1-118 pubmed..Involving all stakeholders in the development of further reform planning and achieving consensus among them will be key to its success. ..
- Hunt J, Gajewski B, Jiang Y, Cupertino A, Richter K. Capacity of US drug treatment facilities to provide evidence-based tobacco treatment. Am J Public Health. 2013;103:1799-801 pubmed publisher..The Affordable Care and Mental Health Parity acts will improve treatment access for drug-dependent persons. To realize these acts' full promise, policymakers should ensure that clients have access to tobacco treatment. ..
- Bezuidenhout A, Hurter D, Maydell A, van Niekerk F, de Figueiredo S, Harvey J, et al. The Kimberley Hospital Rule (KHR) for urgent computed tomography of the brain in a resource-limited environment. S Afr Med J. 2013;103:646-51 pubmed publisher..3% sensitivity and 45.5% specificity, while reducing the number of immediate CTBs by 36.0%. The KHR is an accurate, unifying clinical guideline that appears to optimise the utilisation of CTB in a resource-limited environment. ..
- Tan D, Tan S, Lim S, Kim S, Kim W, Advani R, et al. Management of B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma in Asia: resource-stratified guidelines. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14:e548-61 pubmed publisher..In this resource-adapted consensus, we summarise recommendations for diagnosis, staging, risk stratification, and treatment of common B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas in Asia. ..
- Mohammadzadeh N, Safdari R, Rahimi A. Positive and negative effects of IT on cancer registries. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14:4455-7 pubmed..The aim of this paper is to emphasize the need for identifying positive and negative effects of modern IT on cancer registry in general and specific aspects as an approach to cancer care management. ..
- Hartl S, Lopez Campos J, Pozo Rodriguez F, Castro Acosta A, Studnicka M, Kaiser B, et al. Risk of death and readmission of hospital-admitted COPD exacerbations: European COPD Audit. Eur Respir J. 2016;47:113-21 pubmed publisher..Addressing the deficiencies in acute COPD care such as making spirometry available and measuring blood gases and providing noninvasive ventilation more regularly would provide opportunities to improve COPD outcomes. ..
- Kadanakuppe S, Aradhya S. Survey of patient opinion on tobacco cessation counseling and services in a dental teaching institution and hospital. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2013;11:175-80 pubmed publisher..This study shows that patients expect and felt comfortable with receiving tobacco cessation counseling services by oral health professionals in a dental hospital setting. ..
- Roy A, Kim M, Hawes R, Varadarajulu S. Changing trends in tissue acquisition in malignant pancreatic neoplasms. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;31:501-5 pubmed publisher..Training and education are required to disseminate the use of EUS-FNA outside major teaching institutions or foster referral of patients to EUS centers because of implications for patient care and resource use. ..
- Banerjee N, Presta M, Charous M, Gupta N. Revenue from single-balloon enteroscopy is driven by anesthesia: experience from a tertiary care facility. Surg Endosc. 2016;30:1635-9 pubmed publisher..Projected revenue generation (and it sources) should be considered when establishing a device-assisted enteroscopy program. ..
- van Koperen T, de Kruif A, van Antwerpen L, Hendriks A, Seidell J, Schuit A, et al. Barriers to and Facilitators of the Evaluation of Integrated Community-Wide Overweight Intervention Approaches: A Qualitative Case Study in Two Dutch Municipalities. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13:390 pubmed publisher
- Herrera Espiñeira C, Escobar A, Navarro Espigares J, Castillo J, García Pérez L, Godoy Montijano A. [Total knee and hip prosthesis: variables associated with costs]. Cir Cir. 2013;81:207-13 pubmed
- Dimov A, Maksimov N. [Comorbidity in cardiac pathology: clinical-organizational and epidemiological problems]. Kardiologiia. 2013;53:85-92 pubmed
- Roberts T, Cohn J, Bonner K, Hargreaves S. Scale-up of Routine Viral Load Testing in Resource-Poor Settings: Current and Future Implementation Challenges. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;62:1043-8 pubmed publisher..Effective scale-up can be achieved through health system and laboratory system strengthening and test price reductions, as well as tackling multiple programmatic and funding challenges. ..
- Wiseman V, Asante A, Price J, Hayen A, Irava W, Martins J, et al. Ten best resources for conducting financing and benefit incidence analysis in resource-poor settings. Health Policy Plan. 2015;30:1053-8 pubmed publisher..The article pays particular attention to the data requirements, computations, methodological challenges and country level experiences with these types of analyses. ..
- Anderson R, Ahn R, Nelson B, Chavez J, de Redon E, Burke T. Defining the anesthesia gap for reproductive health procedures in resource-limited settings. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2014;127:229-33 pubmed publisher..Safe, affordable, and scalable solutions to address the anesthesia gap are urgently needed. ..
- Kim C, Joo Y, Lee E, Park Y, Kim H, Kim S. Simple, direct drug susceptibility testing technique for diagnosis of drug-resistant tuberculosis in resource-poor settings. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013;17:1212-6 pubmed publisher..It may be most indicated in resource-poor settings for programmatic management of drug-resistant tuberculosis. ..
- Diana A, Hollingworth S, Marks G. Quality of physical resources of health facilities in Indonesia: a panel study 1993-2007. Int J Qual Health Care. 2013;25:488-96 pubmed publisher..Implementation of minimum standards and effective partnerships with private practice are considered important. ..
- Koushede V, Brixval C, Axelsen S, Lindschou J, Winkel P, Maimburg R, et al. Group-based antenatal birth and parent preparation for improving birth outcomes and parenting resources: study protocol for a randomised trial. Sex Reprod Healthc. 2013;4:121-6 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge this is the largest well-designed randomised trial of its kind to date. The trial will bring much-needed evidence for decision makers of the content and form of antenatal education. ..
- Wai H, Stepanova M, Saab S, Erario M, Srishord M, Younossi Z. Inpatient economic and mortality assessment for liver transplantation: a nationwide study of the United States data from 2005 to 2009. Transplantation. 2014;97:98-103 pubmed publisher..Liver transplantation is a life-saving procedure with significant economic burden to our society. Severity of illness is the common driver of both in hospital mortality and resource utilization. ..
- Shaw B, Amouzou A, Miller N, Bryce J, Surkan P. A qualitative exploration of care-seeking pathways for sick children in the rural Oromia region of Ethiopia. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:184 pubmed publisher..An understanding of these influences is critical for the success of existing and future health interventions and continued improvement of child health in Ethiopia. ..
- Mack H, Meng N, Parsons T, Schlenther G, Murray N, Hart R. Partnering to develop a continuing professional development program in a low-resource setting: Cambodia. Can J Ophthalmol. 2017;52:379-384 pubmed publisher..Uptake of CPD may have been limited by lack of a requirement for CPD for continuing medical licensure in Cambodia. Follow-up will be necessary to demonstrate CPD program longevity. ..
- Tuomela K, Gordon J, Cassidy L, Johaningsmeir S, Ghanayem N. Resource Utilization Associated with Extracardiac Co-morbid Conditions Following Congenital Heart Surgery in Infancy. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017;38:1065-1070 pubmed publisher..These data may be helpful in deciding which children might benefit from a cardiac complex care program that partners families and providers to improve health and decrease healthcare costs. ..
- Binns L. Cuba: healthcare and the revolution. West Indian Med J. 2013;62:244-9 pubmed..The Cuban replica is currently a tale of sorts awaiting a comprehensible definition for future generations. ..
- Wojtowicz A, Plevinsky J, Poulopoulos N, Schurman J, Greenley R. Examining predictors of healthcare utilization in youth with inflammatory bowel disease. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;28:469-74 pubmed publisher..Clinic calls should not be overlooked as a form of HCU, as communication that takes place outside of scheduled appointments utilizes resources and may indicate poorer disease control. ..
- Puka K, Smith M, Moineddin R, Snead O, Widjaja E. Health resource utilization varies by comorbidities in children with epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 2016;57:151-154 pubmed publisher..In addition, we highlight the importance of identifying and managing these comorbidities, as they increased the risks of costly HRU such as ED visits and hospitalizations. ..
- Rutstein S, Golin C, Wheeler S, Kamwendo D, Hosseinipour M, Weinberger M, et al. On the front line of HIV virological monitoring: barriers and facilitators from a provider perspective in resource-limited settings. AIDS Care. 2016;28:1-10 pubmed publisher..Findings may inform scale-up by helping policy-makers identify strategies to improve feasibility and sustainability of VL monitoring. ..
- . Ebola: a failure of international collective action. Lancet. 2014;384:637 pubmed
- Wolf B, Britton C. How orthopaedic residents perceive educational resources. Iowa Orthop J. 2013;33:185-90 pubmed..Orthopaedic trainees have found the addition of a surgical skills training lab for teaching arthroscopic skills a significant benefit to both their overall education and to surgical skills training. ..
- Ma L, Donohue C, DeNofrio T, Vitale Pedulla L, Haddad R, Rabinowits G. Optimizing Tobacco Cessation Resource Awareness Among Patients and Providers. J Oncol Pract. 2016;12:e77-82 pubmed publisher..Educating HNOPs and alerting them to ATUs at their clinic visits successfully prompted TC discussions in clinic. ..
- Tarricone R, Ricca G, Nyanzi Wakholi B, Medina Lara A. Impact of cancer anorexia-cachexia syndrome on health-related quality of life and resource utilisation: A systematic review. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;99:49-62 pubmed publisher..HRQoL instruments that can better assess and incorporate all the domains affected by CACS are required. Rigorous assessment of costs and benefits of treatment are needed to understand the magnitude of the impact of CACS. ..
- Zhang T, Xu Y, Ren J, Sun L, Liu C. Inequality in the distribution of health resources and health services in China: hospitals versus primary care institutions. Int J Equity Health. 2017;16:42 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to evaluate the equality of the distribution of health resources and health services between hospitals and primary care institutions...
- Galvao T, Silva M, Marques M, de Oliveira N, Pereira M. Hypothermia for perinatal brain hypoxia-ischemia in different resource settings: a systematic review. J Trop Pediatr. 2013;59:453-9 pubmed publisher..Evidence from low-resource settings is limited, but hypothermia efficacy was not shown to be associated with better resources countries. ..
- da Silva N, Takemoto M, Damasceno A, Fragoso Y, Finkelsztejn A, Becker J, et al. Cost analysis of multiple sclerosis in Brazil: a cross-sectional multicenter study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016;16:102 pubmed publisher..When patients move upwards on the disease severity scale, costs with health resources other than drugs are significantly increased.
- Ortega Sanchez I, Vijayaraghavan M, Barskey A, Wallace G. The economic burden of sixteen measles outbreaks on United States public health departments in 2011. Vaccine. 2014;32:1311-7 pubmed publisher..The effort and resources required to respond to these outbreaks are likely to impose a significant economic burden on these institutions...
- Castle J, Chalmers I, Atkinson P, Badenoch D, Oxman A, Austvoll Dahlgren A, et al. Establishing a library of resources to help people understand key concepts in assessing treatment claims-The "Critical thinking and Appraisal Resource Library" (CARL). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178666 pubmed publisher..testingtreatments.org/category/learning-resources. We hope that ready access to CARL will help to promote the critical thinking about treatment claims, needed to help improve healthcare choices. ..