interior design and furnishings
Summary: The planning of the furnishings and decorations of an architectural interior.
- Wang P, Ritz B, Janowitz I, Harrison R, Yu F, Chan J, et al. A randomized controlled trial of chair interventions on back and hip pain among sewing machine operators: the los angeles garment study. J Occup Environ Med. 2008;50:255-62 pubmed publisher..16, 0.34) per month. A height-adjustable task chair with a swivel function can reduce back and hip pain in sewing machine operators. The findings may be relevant to workers who perform visual- and hand-intensive manufacturing jobs. ..
- Robertson M, Amick B, DeRango K, Rooney T, Bazzani L, Harrist R, et al. The effects of an office ergonomics training and chair intervention on worker knowledge, behavior and musculoskeletal risk. Appl Ergon. 2009;40:124-35 pubmed publisher..A significant increase in overall ergonomic knowledge was observed for the intervention groups. Both intervention groups exhibited higher level behavioral translation and had lower musculoskeletal risk than the control group. ..
- Brown S. Chamber assessment of formaldehyde and VOC emissions from wood-based panels. Indoor Air. 1999;9:209-15 pubmed..VOC emissions from the sheet products decreased more quickly than formaldehyde, reaching low levels within two weeks, except for MDF which was found to become a low-level source of hexanal after several months. ..
- Barrow C. A patient's journey through the operating department from an infection control perspective. J Perioper Pract. 2009;19:94-8 pubmed
- Kavak S, Bumin G. The effects of pencil grip posture and different desk designs on handwriting performance in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2009;85:346-52 pubmed publisher..It is recommended that a cutout table be used to provide more upper extremity support in handwriting activities for students with cerebral palsy. ..
- Moss C, Walsh K, Mitchell J. Plotting care: a modelling technique for visioning nursing practice in current and future contexts. Contemp Nurse. 2010;35:188-201 pubmed publisher..Plotting will be of use to health professionals, clinical leaders and educators who are interested in spatial analysis of care and other health service practices. ..
- Mandiracioglu A, Akgür S, Kocabiyik N, Sener U. Evaluation of neuropsychological symptoms and exposure to benzene, toluene and xylene among two different furniture worker groups in Izmir. Toxicol Ind Health. 2011;27:802-9 pubmed publisher..The workers were unaware that they were being exposed to solvents at work. Tobacco smoke is a major source of internal exposure to benzene. Improving working conditions in furniture work places is a priority. ..
- Yildirim K, Hidayetoglu M, Capanoglu A. Effects of interior colors on mood and preference: comparisons of two living rooms. Percept Mot Skills. 2011;112:509-24 pubmed..quot; Lastly, sex differences were also found, with women's ratings generally more positive than those of men. ..
- Mullick A. Inclusive indoor play: an approach to developing inclusive design guidelines. Work. 2013;44 Suppl 1:S5-17 pubmed publisher..The playthings were instrumental in promoting social inclusion and they met the criteria of the Inclusive Indoor Play project. ..
- Pati D, Nanda U. Influence of positive distractions on children in two clinic waiting areas. HERD. 2011;4:124-40 pubmed..Data also suggest that positive distraction conditions are significant attention grabbers and could be an important contributor to improving the waiting experience for children in hospitals by improving environmental attractiveness. ..
- Regnier V, Denton A. Ten new and emerging trends in residential group living environments. NeuroRehabilitation. 2009;25:169-88 pubmed publisher..Promising concepts of service organization and community outreach are combined with detailed recommendations that address the need for lift technology and safety features in bathrooms and kitchens. ..
- Gonçalves M, Arezes P. Postural assessment of school children: an input for the design of furniture. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:876-80 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, it can be concluded that there are alternatives to consider in the furniture design in order to eliminate tensions and, consequently, to improve children's wellbeing. ..
- Agha S, Alnahhal M. Neural network and multiple linear regression to predict school children dimensions for ergonomic school furniture design. Appl Ergon. 2012;43:979-84 pubmed publisher..In general, it was found that neural networks perform better than multiple linear regression in the current study. ..
- Roemmich J. Height-Adjustable Desks: Energy Expenditure, Liking, and Preference of Sitting and Standing. J Phys Act Health. 2016;13:1094-1099 pubmed..4 h/d after 12 months. Standing rather than sitting increased EE by 7.5 kcal/h. Use of a height adjustable desk for 12 months did not alter the hedonic value of standing or sitting, which is promising for long-term increases in standing. ..
- Rantanen T. The cause of the Chinese sofa/chair dermatitis epidemic is likely to be contact allergy to dimethylfumarate, a novel potent contact sensitizer. Br J Dermatol. 2008;159:218-21 pubmed publisher..p.m. in the most severe case. The cause of the Chinese sofa/chair dermatitis epidemic is likely to be contact allergy to dimethylfumarate, a novel potent contact sensitizer. ..
- Groff S, Carlson L, Tsang K, Potter B. Cancer patients' satisfaction with care in traditional and innovative ambulatory oncology clinics. J Nurs Care Qual. 2008;23:251-7 pubmed publisher..However, the 2 centers did not differ on any of the other satisfaction subscales. Implications of these findings are discussed. ..
- Saarni L, Rimpelä A, Nummi T, Kaukiainen A, Salminen J, Nygård C. Do ergonomically designed school workstations decrease musculoskeletal symptoms in children? A 26-month prospective follow-up study. Appl Ergon. 2009;40:491-9 pubmed publisher..In general, the ergonomically designed school workstations did not decrease present neck-shoulder, upper back, low back and lower limbs strain and pain, compared to conventional ones during follow-ups. ..
- Cascioli V, Liu Z, Heusch A, McCarthy P. A methodology using in-chair movements as an objective measure of discomfort for the purpose of statistically distinguishing between similar seat surfaces. Appl Ergon. 2016;54:100-9 pubmed publisher..A relationship between greater ICM and increased discomfort, and lesser ICM and increased comfort was also found. ..
- McGowan J. 3D printing technology speeds development. Health Estate. 2013;67:100-2 pubmed
- Hannig A, Kuth N, Ozman M, Jonas S, Spreckelsen C. eMedOffice: a web-based collaborative serious game for teaching optimal design of a medical practice. BMC Med Educ. 2012;12:104 pubmed publisher..The insights gained by the implementation of eMedOffice will promote the future development of more effective serious games for integration into curricular courses of the RWTH Aachen University Medical School. ..
- Taboga P, Marcolin F, Bordignon M, Antonutto G. [Definition and validation of a comfort index calculation method for office seats]. Med Lav. 2012;103:58-67 pubmed
- Bau L, Puquirre M, Buso S, Ogasawara E, Marcon Passero C, Bianchi M. Cognitive and organizational ergonomics in the transition of the new integrated center of control of an oil refinery: human reliability and administration of changes. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:5781-4 pubmed publisher..It is possible to prove the importance of the insertion of cognitive and organizational ergonomics in the building projects of new facilities for high-complexity activities in petrochemical plants. ..
- Sen A, Richardson S. A study of computer-related upper limb discomfort and computer vision syndrome. J Hum Ergol (Tokyo). 2007;36:45-50 pubmed..It was concluded that further onsite studies are needed, to follow up this survey to decrease the risks of developing CVS and OOS amongst young computer users. ..
- Branton S, Lile L. Magnetic fields of green. Radiol Manage. 2011;33:27-31; quiz 32-3 pubmed..An LEED certified building considers costs and benefits for the lifetime of the building. ..
- Rantz M, Aud M, Zwygart Stauffacher M, Mehr D, Petroski G, Owen S, et al. Field testing, refinement, and psychometric evaluation of a new measure of quality of care for assisted living. J Nurs Meas. 2008;16:16-30 pubmed..43 on a four-point scale). The OIQ-AL gives reliable and valid scores for researchers, and may be useful for consumers, providers, and others interested in measuring quality of care in assisted-living facilities. ..
- Nicoletti S, Battevi N. [Upper-limb work-related musculoskeletal disorders (UL-WMSDs) and latency of effect]. Med Lav. 2008;99:352-61 pubmed..Probably a latency period of 12 years may be suggested as the cut-off limit to assess a causal relationship between tendon or canalicular WMISDs and occupational exposure to repetitive movements and exertions of upper limbs. ..
- Baillie J. Rubicon crossed in acute hospital design?. Health Estate. 2008;62:39-42 pubmed
- Watanabe S, Eguchi A, Kobara K, Ishida H. Influence of trunk muscle co-contraction on spinal curvature during sitting reclining against the backrest of a chair. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2008;48:359-65 pubmed
- Miao Y, Deng F, Chen Y, Guan H. Detection of volatile organic compounds released by wood furniture based on a cataluminescence test system. Luminescence. 2016;31:407-13 pubmed publisher..The performance of the sensor system will enable furniture VOC limit emissions standards to be promulgated as soon as possible. ..
- Chicote J, Durá J, Belda J, Poveda R. A functional PCA model for the study of time series of pressure maps. J Appl Biomech. 2013;29:135-40 pubmed..A sampling rate of 3 Hz is adequate for applying the model in sitting postures. The model is able to detect patterns of movement over time, although more variables are necessary if the movements produce similar pressure distributions. ..
- Koepp G, Manohar C, McCrady Spitzer S, Ben Ner A, Hamann D, Runge C, et al. Treadmill desks: A 1-year prospective trial. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21:705-11 pubmed publisher..4 ± 5.4 kg (P < 0.001) of fat mass. Weight loss was greatest in people with obesity. Access to treadmill desks may improve the health of office workers without affecting work performance. ..
- Matook S, Sullivan M, Salisbury A, Miller R, Lester B. Variations of NICU sound by location and time of day. Neonatal Netw. 2010;29:87-95 pubmed..74 dB. Quadrants at the back of a bay were louder than quadrants at the front of a bay. The day shift had higher decibel levels than the night shift. Covariates did not differ across bays or shifts. ..
- Thomas K, Magbalot A, Shinabarger K, Mokhnach L, Anderson M, Diercks K, et al. Seasonal mapping of NICU temperature. Adv Neonatal Care. 2010;10:83-7 pubmed publisher..Recommendations include periodic assessment of nurseries along with air, evaporative, and radiant temperatures as well as humidity to fully appreciate the impact of the thermal environment on infants. ..
- Applebaum D, Fowler S, Fiedler N, OSINUBI O, Robson M. The impact of environmental factors on nursing stress, job satisfaction, and turnover intention. J Nurs Adm. 2010;40:323-8 pubmed publisher..Mitigating or eliminating these environmental factors has the potential to improve staff satisfaction and retention. Stress influences nursing job satisfaction and, ultimately, intention to change jobs. ..
- Ciaccia F, Gonçalves C, Sznelwar L. The use of thermal manikin to evaluate interface pressure distribution. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:1352-6 pubmed publisher..The results of average pressure demonstrated that the thermal manikins have a better response in interface pressure measurement than manikins without heating. ..
- Zunjic A, Sremcevic V, Sijacki V, Sijacki A. Research of injuries of passengers in city buses as a consequence of non-collision effects. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:4943-50 pubmed publisher..Proposals for certain system solutions, as well as some recommendations for designing are given, which can improve the safety of passengers who use the city bus as a means of transportation. ..
- Dennis C, Lee R, Woodard E, Szalaj J, Walker C. Benefits of quiet time for neuro-intensive care patients. J Neurosci Nurs. 2010;42:217-24 pubmed..In addition, patients were significantly more likely to be observed sleeping during day shift quiet time hours. ..
- Lin M, Wang C, Cheng S, Cheng S. An event-related potential study of semantic style-match judgments of artistic furniture. Int J Psychophysiol. 2011;82:188-95 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the N400 effects elicited by ReadyMade and Deconstruction chairs showed different scalp distributions. These findings reveal that semantic networks represent different design styles for items of the same category. ..
- Sonne M, Villalta D, Andrews D. Development and evaluation of an office ergonomic risk checklist: ROSA--rapid office strain assessment. Appl Ergon. 2012;43:98-108 pubmed publisher..A ROSA final score of 5 might therefore be useful as an action level indicating when immediate change is necessary. ROSA proved to be an effective and reliable method for identifying computer use risk factors related to discomfort. ..
- Redstone L, Shepherd L, Bousfield C, Brooks P. An audit of patients' experiences and opinions concerning mirrors in a UK burns service. Burns. 2011;37:1248-54 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, concealable mirrors should be present in burns services but patients should be psychologically prepared about their presence. Protocols should be developed to provide optimal burn care. ..
- Blanc D, Farre P, Hamel O. Variability of musculoskeletal strain on dentists: an electromyographic and goniometric study. Int J Occup Saf Ergon. 2014;20:295-307 pubmed..Practitioners and students should adjust their workstations to reduce the prevalence of MSDs. ..
- Kvan T. Evaluating learning environments for interprofessional care. J Interprof Care. 2013;27 Suppl 2:31-6 pubmed publisher..By developing an interpretation of Kirkpatrick's model, four levels are described for the effective evaluation of interprofessional learning environments. ..
- Gates J. An inquiry - aesthetics of art in hospitals. Aust Fam Physician. 2008;37:761-3 pubmed..Potentially, Australians waiting in hospitals and medical clinics could benefit from art works that reflect their preferences; this may help to ease the pain, anxiety, and boredom of waiting. ..
- Brondum J. Older, lead-containing paint covering furniture, toys, salvaged windows, and other used objects found in antique shops, secondhand shops, and similar settings represent a previously unrecognized source of lead in middle- and upper-income homes. J Environ Health. 2008;70:80, 86 pubmed
- van Niekerk S, Louw Q, Grimmer Somers K, Harvey J, Hendry K. The anthropometric match between high school learners of the Cape Metropole area, Western Cape, South Africa and their computer workstation at school. Appl Ergon. 2013;44:366-71 pubmed publisher..This study supports the conclusion that there is no one-size-fits-all solution. There is an urgent need for chairs that are of different sizes or that are adjustable. ..
- Fonseca B, Aguilera M, Vidal M. Conceptual design pattern for ergonomic workplaces. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:797-803 pubmed publisher..The patterns go beyond of a usual model of book a of ergonomics specification, once incorporating the viewpoint of the end user, it is also a set of best project practices and of project management in conception ergonomics. ..
- Hinckson E, Aminian S, Ikeda E, Stewart T, Oliver M, Duncan S, et al. Acceptability of standing workstations in elementary schools: a pilot study. Prev Med. 2013;56:82-5 pubmed publisher..64)%, 0.71; (0.48), -0.96; (0.54)% respectively). Results for time spent stepping and step counts were unclear. Standing workstations can be successfully integrated in classroom environments and appear to decrease overall sedentariness. ..
- Krall E, Close J, Parker J, Sudak M, Lampert S, Colonnelli K. Innovation pilot study: acute care for elderly unit--promoting patient-centric care. HERD. 2012;5:90-6 pubmed..Older patients need individualized care planning by staff competent in elder care and a specialty unit to address their specific needs. ..
- Southard K, Jarrell A, Shattell M, McCoy T, Bartlett R, Judge C. Enclosed versus open nursing stations in adult acute care psychiatric settings: does the design affect the therapeutic milieu?. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2012;50:28-34 pubmed publisher..No increase in aggression toward staff was found, given patients' ease of access to the nursing station. More research is needed about the impact of unit design in acute care psychiatric settings. ..
- Roger T. Endeavour delivers cancer care rewards. Health Estate. 2011;65:95-7 pubmed
- Martínez Soria V, Gabaldón C, Penya Roja J, Palau J, Alvarez Hornos F, Sempere F, et al. Performance of a pilot-scale biotrickling filter in controlling the volatile organic compound emissions in a furniture manufacturing facility. J Air Waste Manag Assoc. 2009;59:998-1006 pubmed..A weekend dehydration strategy was developed and implemented to control the pressure drop associated with excessive biomass accumulation. ..