facility design and construction
Summary: Architecture, exterior and interior design, and construction of facilities other than hospitals, e.g., dental schools, medical schools, ambulatory care clinics, and specified units of health care facilities. The concept also includes architecture, design, and construction of specialized contained, controlled, or closed research environments including those of space labs and stations.
- Friedman L, Forst L. Workers' compensation costs among construction workers: a robust regression analysis. J Occup Environ Med. 2009;51:1306-13 pubmed publisher..There is a need to integrate analytical methods that are suitable for skewed data when analyzing claim costs. ..
- Stevens D, Helseth C, Khan M, Munson D, Smith T. Neonatal intensive care nursery staff perceive enhanced workplace quality with the single-family room design. J Perinatol. 2010;30:352-8 pubmed publisher..Scores for each category and the total scores were statistically greater in the SFR, except as noted (NS). Staff perceptions of workplace quality were significantly greater in the SFR than the open-bay NICU. ..
- Vink P, Miedema M, Koningsveld E, van der Molen H. Physical effects of new devices for bricklayers. Int J Occup Saf Ergon. 2002;8:71-82 pubmed..It is discussed that the field experiments have many drawbacks. Nevertheless, based on this study in combination with other literature the improvements could be recommended. ..
- Brink L, Nigg C, Lampe S, Kingston B, Mootz A, van Vliet W. Influence of schoolyard renovations on children's physical activity: the Learning Landscapes Program. Am J Public Health. 2010;100:1672-8 pubmed publisher..Renovated schoolyards increase the number of children who are physically active, as well as their overall activity levels, and reduce sedentary behaviors. ..
- Cassel T, Ashbaugh L, Flocchini R, Meyer D. Ammonia flux from open-lot dairies: development of measurement methodology and emission factors. J Air Waste Manag Assoc. 2005;55:816-25 pubmed..Ammonia emission factors derived from the measurements ranged from 19 to 143 g head(-1) day(-1), showing an increase with warmer, drier weather and a decrease with increased relative humidity and lower temperatures. ..
- Jensen L, Kofoed L. Musculoskeletal disorders among floor layers: is prevention possible?. Appl Occup Environ Hyg. 2002;17:797-806 pubmed..Breaking down the barriers to change demands education and instruction by people who know the trade well, who can communicate effectively with the floor layers, and who are accepted by the trade. ..
- Chiang Hsieh L, Noonan D. Strategic Behavior in Certifying Green Buildings: An Inquiry of the Non-building Performance Value. Environ Manage. 2017;60:231-242 pubmed publisher..The results highlight the importance of local conditions, including peer effects and regulations, in driving non-building performance values across a wide range of green buildings. ..
- Odegard R. Quality planning, part 1: a holistic and practical approach. Int J Pharm Compd. 2013;17:393-9 pubmed..The author takes a holistic approach, which he describes as a comprehensive, systematic, and proactive approach to continuously improve everything that may, directly or indirectly, influence the quality of a preparation or service. ..
- Huang J, Chen Q, Xu L. [Problems and countermeasures in the application of constructed wetlands]. Huan Jing Ke Xue. 2013;34:401-8 pubmed
- Andrade I, Ely E. Assessment method of accessibility conditions: how to make public buildings accessible?. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:3774-80 pubmed publisher..It is hoped also that the knowledge gained in this research contributes to an improvement of accessibility legislation in relation to the listed items. ..
- Pagnan A, Câmara J. Ergonomics analysis of the productive environment of fashion clothing firm in Belo Horizonte-MG. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:1261-7 pubmed publisher..An ideal arrangement in the workplace provides improved manufacturing quality and employee performance and consequently higher production yields. ..
- Asano Y. Characteristics of radiation safety for synchrotron radiation and X-ray free electron laser facilities. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2011;146:115-8 pubmed publisher..The radiation safety problems for each source are compared by using 8 GeV class SR and XFEL facilities as an example. ..
- Romanowich P. Home advantage in retractable-roof baseball stadia. Percept Mot Skills. 2012;115:559-66 pubmed..There was a greater home advantage for teams playing home games in domed stadia relative to retractable-roof stadia. No other differences in the home advantage were found; results are discussed in terms of familiarity with the facility. ..
- Wilson W, Marinac J, Pitty K, Burrows C. The use of sound-field amplification devices in different types of classrooms. Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch. 2011;42:395-407 pubmed publisher..60-2002 (2002). These results suggest that any potential benefits of SFA devices are more likely to be realized in classrooms with better acoustics. ..
- Berjaga X, Coma M, Meléndez J, Puig S, Colprim J, Colomer J. Granularity determination of activated sludge through on-line profiles by means of case-based reasoning. Water Sci Technol. 2014;69:760-7 pubmed publisher..This methodology improves process monitoring capabilities during granulation and is an on-line alternative to a microscope analysis before the batch release. ..
- Dickow K, Brunskog J, Ohlrich M. Modal density and modal distribution of bending wave vibration fields in ribbed plates. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;134:2719-29 pubmed publisher..Suggestions are also given regarding how to proceed towards a simplified prediction model for ribbed plates. ..
- Nasar J, Holloman C. Playground characteristics to encourage children to visit and play. J Phys Act Health. 2013;10:1201-8 pubmed..The findings confirm correlational findings on the desirability of equipment and safety. Communities need to test the effects of changes in playgrounds. ..
- Dolim S. Is your dental office accessible to people with disabilities?. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2013;41:695-8 pubmed..It has been estimated that more than 90 percent of the offices of health professionals in California have one or more accessibility issues, which commonly lead to lawsuits. Is your office amongthem? ..
- Kollmus H, Post R, Brielmeier M, Fernández J, Fuchs H, McKerlie C, et al. Structural and functional concepts in current mouse phenotyping and archiving facilities. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2012;51:418-35 pubmed..Our analysis likely will be valuable to research centers that are planning to design new mouse phenotyping and archiving facilities. ..
- Summers J. Accounting for delay of energy transfer between coupled rooms in statistical-acoustics models of reverberant-energy decay. J Acoust Soc Am. 2012;132:EL129-34 pubmed publisher..Predictions of the model are illustrated for a two-room coupled system and compared with the predictions of a benchmark computational geometrical-acoustics model. ..
- Menegon F, Rodrigues D, Fontes A, Menegon N. Ergonomics in designing process: dialogue between designers, executors and users in the maintenance activity of radars in an oil refinery. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:763-9 pubmed publisher..The design process arises from ergonomics workplace analysis that presents concepts for solutions which was a mediator tool to be settled between users and implementers. ..
- Nelson M, Gray K, Allen J. Group dynamics challenges: Insights from Biosphere 2 experiments. Life Sci Space Res (Amst). 2015;6:79-86 pubmed publisher..Insights from the Biosphere 2 experience can help space and remote missions cope successfully with the inherent challenges of small, isolated crews. ..
- Davy J. Sound transmission of cavity walls due to structure borne transmission via point and line connections. J Acoust Soc Am. 2012;132:814-21 pubmed publisher..This enables connections via studs and screws to be modeled as point connections and avoids the need to make any assumptions about the compliance of the equivalent point or line connections. ..
- Du J, Li W, Liu Z, Xu H, Ji Z. Acoustic analysis of a rectangular cavity with general impedance boundary conditions. J Acoust Soc Am. 2011;130:807-17 pubmed publisher..Several numerical examples are presented to demonstrate the effectiveness and reliability of the current method for various impedance boundary conditions, including nonuniform impedance distributions. ..
- Sample P, Greene D, Johns N. Life-bombing-injury-life: a qualitative follow-up study of Oklahoma City bombing survivors with TBI. Brain Inj. 2012;26:1670-83 pubmed publisher..What they experienced in the months--extending into years--after the bombing was beyond their own anticipation and that of their families and healthcare professionals. ..
- von Keyserlingk M, Barrientos A, Ito K, Galo E, Weary D. Benchmarking cow comfort on North American freestall dairies: lameness, leg injuries, lying time, facility design, and management for high-producing Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95:7399-408 pubmed publisher..Each of the 3 regions had farms with a very low prevalence of lameness and injuries, suggesting great opportunities for improvement on other farms within the region. ..
- Thygesen L, Hvidtfeldt U, Mikkelsen S, Brønnum Hansen H. Quantification of the healthy worker effect: a nationwide cohort study among electricians in Denmark. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:571 pubmed publisher..In this nationwide study, employment as electricians had marked effect on mortality. Appropriate reference selection and lag time analyses minimized the HWE bias. ..
- Prodi N, Visentin C. An experimental evaluation of the impact of scattering on sound field diffusivity. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;133:810-20 pubmed publisher..The results outline that there is limited benefit to using computer-aided design models instead of simple formulas to predict reverberation time for non-diffuse sound fields in proportionate medium-small sized rooms. ..
- Adu S, Emi Reynolds G, Schandorf C, Darko E, Gyekye P. Radiological assessment of the structural shielding adequacy of the radiotherapy facility at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, Accra, Ghana. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2012;149:216-21 pubmed publisher..High dose rates were recorded at the entrance to the treatment room, it is therefore recommended that optimisation of procedures should be encouraged to restrict activities in this area. ..
- Thacker R. Experiences managing radioactive material at the National Ignition Facility. Health Phys. 2013;104:611-22 pubmed publisher..Updates to processes based on actual monitoring results are also discussed. ..
- López A, Valera D, Molina Aiz F. Sonic anemometry to measure natural ventilation in greenhouses. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:9820-38 pubmed publisher..3% when wind speed was lower (u(o) = 2 m s(-1)). ..
- Zhou Z, Chen T, Wang M, Jin L, Zhao Y, Chen S, et al. Pilot study of a novel classroom designed to prevent myopia by increasing children's exposure to outdoor light. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181772 pubmed publisher..In summary, light intensity in the BC exceeds TC, and is at the practical upper limit for routine use. Children and teachers prefer the BC. ..
- Keegan L, Drick C. A new place for death with dignity: the golden room. J Holist Nurs. 2011;29:287-91 pubmed publisher..The authors detail and propose a return to the sacredness of death and dying through access to a place for the physical transition. ..
- Ocon E, Gutierrez A, Garijo P, Santamaria P, Lopez R, Olarte C, et al. Factors of influence in the distribution of mold in the air in a wine cellar. J Food Sci. 2011;76:M169-74 pubmed publisher..Hence, the presence of traditional underground areas for ageing wine, which is justifiable in seasons where temperature and humidity control lead to major technical problems, should be reconsidered in the design of new wine cellars. ..
- Martellotta F. Optimizing stepwise rotation of dodecahedron sound source to improve the accuracy of room acoustic measures. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;134:2037-48 pubmed publisher..In addition, an averaging of the directional intensity components of the selected responses stabilizes the spatial distribution of the reflections. ..
- Boldt A, Stürmer B, Gaschler R, Schacht A, Sommer W. Get out of here, quick! Problems with transparent labels on glass doors. J Exp Psychol Appl. 2013;19:241-53 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our results strongly advocate against using transparent labels because they may pose a considerable risk. ..
- Romanets Y, Bernardes A, Dorsival A, Gonçalves I, Kadi Y, Di Maria S, et al. Radiation protection, radiation safety and radiation shielding assessment of HIE-ISOLDE. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2013;155:351-63 pubmed publisher..The consequences of the upgraded proton beam parameters on the operational radiation protection of the facility were studied. ..
- Bednar B. Using (green) bricks and mortar for dialysis clinic construction. Nephrol News Issues. 2011;25:29-31 pubmed
- Holup A, Dobbs D, Meng H, Hyer K. Facility characteristics associated with the use of electronic health records in residential care facilities. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:787-91 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that facility characteristics may play an important role in the adoption of EHRs in RCFs. ..
- Dijckmans A, Vermeir G. Development of a hybrid wave based-transfer matrix model for sound transmission analysis. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;133:2157-68 pubmed publisher..Finally, numerical simulations show the influence of structural damping, room dimensions and plate dimensions on the sound transmission loss of multilayered structures. ..
- Bill D, Weddell J. Dental office access for patients with disabling conditions. Spec Care Dentist. 1986;6:246-52 pubmed..The American Dental Association and constituent state associations can further accomplish this by setting accessibility guidelines for the dental environment. ..
- Liu M, Wei W, Fergenbaum J, Comper P, Colantonio A. Work-related mild-moderate traumatic brain injury and the construction industry. Work. 2011;39:283-90 pubmed publisher..Construction industry workers experience serious WrTBIs that are amenable to prevention. Use of the PEO model increased our understanding of WrTBIs in the construction industry. ..
- Groby J, Brouard B, Dazel O, Nennig B, Kelders L. Enhancing rigid frame porous layer absorption with three-dimensional periodic irregularities. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;133:821-31 pubmed publisher..When more than one irregularity per spatial period is considered, additional absorption peaks are observed. ..
- Reid M, Saito S, Nash D, Scardigli A, Casalini C, Howard A. Implementation of tuberculosis infection control measures at HIV care and treatment sites in sub-Saharan Africa. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16:1605-12 pubmed publisher..A total of 663 human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) care and treatment sites in nine tuberculosis (TB) affected African countries, serving over 900,000 persons living with HIV...
- Caban Martinez A, Clarke T, Davila E, Fleming L, Lee D. Application of handheld devices to field research among underserved construction worker populations: a workplace health assessment pilot study. Environ Health. 2011;10:27 pubmed publisher..These technological research modalities are useful in the collection and assessment of environmental and occupational research data. ..
- Syutsubo K, Yoochatchaval W, Tsushima I, Araki N, Kubota K, Onodera T, et al. Evaluation of sludge properties in a pilot-scale UASB reactor for sewage treatment in a temperate region. Water Sci Technol. 2011;64:1959-66 pubmed publisher..Acid-forming bacteria from phylum Bacteroidetes were detected at high frequency; thus, these bacteria may have an important role in suspended solids degradation. ..