Summary: The science and practice of cultivating PLANTS that have economic value to man. It includes plant breeding, seed production, weeding, use of fertilizers, harvesting, storage, transportation, and marketing.
- Adewumi A, Chetty S. Investigating the enhanced Best Performance Algorithm for Annual Crop Planning problem based on economic factors. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180813 pubmed publisher..eBPA's results are compared against two well-known local search metaheuristic algorithms; these include Tabu Search and Simulated Annealing. The results show the potential of the eBPA for continuous optimization problems. ..
- Bevan M, Uauy C, Wulff B, Zhou J, Krasileva K, Clark M. Genomic innovation for crop improvement. Nature. 2017;543:346-354 pubmed publisherb>Crop production needs to increase to secure future food supplies, while reducing its impact on ecosystems. Detailed characterization of plant genomes and genetic diversity is crucial for meeting these challenges...
- Sharma Poudyal D, Schlatter D, Yin C, Hulbert S, Paulitz T. Long-term no-till: A major driver of fungal communities in dryland wheat cropping systems. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184611 pubmed publisher..But a larger proportion of the fungal community is not affected by tillage and may be niche generalists. ..
- Zhang Y, Huang H, Gong B, Duan L, Sun L, He T, et al. Do Environmental Fluoride Exposure and ESR? Genetic Variation Modulate Methylation Modification on Bone Changes in Chinese Farmers?. Chem Res Toxicol. 2017;30:1302-1308 pubmed publisher..Methylation status and bone changes were not modified by ESR? gene rs2941740 polymorphism in the promoter region. ..
- Soriano J, Malosetti M, Roselló M, Sorrells M, Royo C. Dissecting the old Mediterranean durum wheat genetic architecture for phenology, biomass and yield formation by association mapping and QTL meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178290 pubmed publisher..Sixty-one percent of QTLs explained less than 10% of the phenotypic variance confirming the high genetic complexity of the traits analysed. ..
- Borba M, Maciel G, Fraga Júnior E, Machado Júnior C, Marquez G, Silva I, et al. Gas exchanges and water use efficiency in the selection of tomato genotypes tolerant to water stress. Genet Mol Res. 2017;16: pubmed publisher..Because of that, these physiological characteristics are promising in the selection of tomato genotypes tolerant to water stress. ..
- Tembrock L, Simmons M, Richards C, Reeves P, Reilley A, Curto M, et al. Phylogeography of the wild and cultivated stimulant plant qat (Catha edulis, Celastraceae) in areas of historical cultivation. Am J Bot. 2017;104:538-549 pubmed publisher..This pattern of divergence could be caused by the extinction of the wild-source qat populations in Ethiopia due to deforestation, undersampling, and/or artificial selection for agronomically important traits. ..
- Tang J, Chu C. MicroRNAs in crop improvement: fine-tuners for complex traits. Nat Plants. 2017;3:17077 pubmed publisher..The integration of current miRNA knowledge with conventional and modern crop improvement strategies is also discussed. ..
- Carvalho M, Oliveira E, Souza A, Pereira J, Diamantino M, Oliveira S. Cleaning cassava genotypes infected with cassava frogskin disease via in vitro shoot tip culture. Genet Mol Res. 2017;16: pubmed publisher..From accessions that were also infected with CsVMV, only 2% of the plants remained infected, also demonstrating the cleaning efficiency of this protocol for this disease. ..
- Adams P, Orr D, Arellano C, Cardoza Y. Soil and Foliar Arthropod Abundance and Diversity in Five Cropping Systems in the Coastal Plains of North Carolina. Environ Entomol. 2017;46:771-783 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results suggest agricultural systems lower in management intensity, whether due to organic practices or reduced levels of disturbance, foster greater arthropod diversity. ..