phages with long non-contractile tails
Alias: Siphoviridae, Styloviridae
Publications155 found, 100 shown here
- Characterization of LytA-like N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidases from two new Streptococcus mitis bacteriophages provides insights into the properties of the major pneumococcal autolysinPatricia Romero
Departmento de Microbiologia Molecular, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Bacteriol 186:8229-39. 2004Two new temperate bacteriophages exhibiting a Myoviridae (phiB6) and a Siphoviridae (phiHER) morphology have been isolated from Streptococcus mitis strains B6 and HER 1055, respectively, and partially characterized...
- Comparative genome analysis of Listeria bacteriophages reveals extensive mosaicism, programmed translational frameshifting, and a novel prophage insertion siteJulia Dorscht
Abteilung Mikrobiologie, Zentralinstitut für Ernährungs und Lebensmittelforschung, Technische Universitat Munchen, Freising, Germany
J Bacteriol 191:7206-15. 2009..Phages A006, A500, B025, P35, and P40 are members of the Siphoviridae and contain double-stranded DNA genomes of between 35.6 kb and 42.7 kb...
- Phim46.1, the main Streptococcus pyogenes element carrying mef(A) and tet(O) genesAndrea Brenciani
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Section of Microbiology, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via Tronto 10 A, Ancona 60020, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:221-9. 2010..1 revealed phage particles with the distinctive icosahedral head and tail morphology of the Siphoviridae family. The chromosome integration site was within a 23S rRNA uracil methyltransferase gene...
- Bacteriophage diversity in the North SeaA Wichels
Biologische Anstalt Helgoland, D 27498 Helgoland, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:4128-33. 1998..of morphology, 11 phages were assigned to the virus family Myoviridae, 7 phages were assigned to the family Siphoviridae, and 4 phages were assigned to the family Podoviridae...
- Identification and characterization of bacteriophages specific to the catfish pathogen, Edwardsiella ictaluriJ K Walakira
Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquaculture, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
J Appl Microbiol 105:2133-42. 2008..To identify and characterize bacteriophages specific for Edwardsiella ictaluri, the causative agent for enteric septicemia of catfish (ESC)...
- [Isolation and characterization of Serratia marcescens phage]Long Yu
State Research Center for Bio protective Equipment and Engineering Technology, State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Beijing 100071, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 48:498-502. 2008..To isolate the bacteriophage of Serratia marcescens (8039) from sewage, and to study on its biological characteristics...
- Flow cytometric detection of virusesC P Brussaard
Department of Microbiology, University of Bergen, Norway
J Virol Methods 85:175-82. 2000..Baculoviridae, Herpesviridae, Myoviridae, Phycodnaviridae, Picornaviridae, Podoviridae, Retroviridae, and Siphoviridae) were stained using a variety of highly fluorescent nucleic acid specific dyes (SYBR Green I, SYBR Green II, ..
- Remarkable morphological diversity of viruses and virus-like particles in hot terrestrial environmentsR Rachel
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie und Archaeenzentrum, Universitat Regensburg, Germany
Arch Virol 147:2419-29. 2002..Two virus types resembled head-and-tail bacteriophages from the families Siphoviridae and Podoviridae, and constituted the first observation of these viruses in a hydrothermal environment...
- The influence of the mode of administration in the dissemination of three coliphages in chickensA Oliveira
Research and Development Department, Controlvet, Segurança Alimentar S A, Zona Industrial de Tondela, ZIM II, L 6, 3460 070 Tondela, Portugal
Poult Sci 88:728-33. 2009..10(7), and 10(8) plaque-forming units/mL suspensions of 3 lytic phages: phi F78E (Myoviridae), phi F258E (Siphoviridae), and phi F61E (Myoviridae)...
- Bacteriophages induced from lysogenic root canal isolates of Enterococcus faecalisR H Stevens
Department of Endodontology, Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry, 3223 NorthBroad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 24:278-84. 2009..In this study, we sought to detect, isolate, and describe temperate bacteriophages harbored by Enterococcus faecalis strains isolated from endodontic infections...
- Cultivation-based assessment of lysogeny among soil bacteriaKurt E Williamson
Environmental Genomics Group, J Craig Venter Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Microb Ecol 56:437-47. 2008..Morphological analysis revealed that four of the lysogens produced lambda-like Siphoviridae particles, whereas two produced Myoviridae particles...
- Isolation and characterization of a virulent bacteriophage AB1 of Acinetobacter baumanniiHongjiang Yang
Key Laboratory of Industrial Microbiology, Ministry of Education, PO Box 08, Tianjin University of Science and Technology, TEDA, Tianjin 300457, PR China
BMC Microbiol 10:131. 2010..In this study, we described the isolation and characterization of one virulent bacteriophage AB1 capable of specifically infecting A. baumannii...
- Morphology and general characteristics of bacteriophages infectious to Robinia pseudoacacia mesorhizobiaAnna Turska-Szewczuk
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, Maria Curie Skłodowska University, 19 Akademicka St, 20 033 Lublin, Poland
Curr Microbiol 61:315-21. 2010..Mlo1, with its elongated hexagonal head and a long flexible tail represented subgroup B2 bacteriophages, the Siphoviridae family...
- Identification of tail genes in the temperate phage 16-3 of Sinorhizobium meliloti 41Veronika Deák
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Pecs, H 7601 Pecs, Hungary
J Bacteriol 192:1617-23. 2010..showed that phage 16-3 possesses an icosahedral head and a long, noncontractile tail characteristic of the Siphoviridae. By using a lysogenic S...
- Molecular characterization and lytic activities of Streptococcus agalactiae bacteriophages and determination of lysogenic-strain featuresAnne Sophie Domelier
Equipe d Accueil 3854, Bactéries et Risque Maternofoetal, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 136, Agents Transmissibles et Infectiologie, UFR Medecine, Universite Francois Rabelais de Tours, 37032 Tours Cedex, France
J Bacteriol 191:4776-85. 2009..On electron microscopy of the phage suspensions, it was possible to assign the phages to the Siphoviridae family, with three different morphotypes (A, B, and C)...
- Characterization of bacteriophages used in the Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis phage-typing schemeN De Lappe
National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Republic of Ireland
J Med Microbiol 58:86-93. 2009..The 16 phages comprise three morphotypes, Podoviridae (SETP1, 8, 10, 14, 15 and 16), Siphoviridae (SETP3, 5, 7, 11, 12 and 13) and Myoviridae (SETP2, 4, 6 and 9)...
- Morphology, genome sequence, and structural proteome of type phage P335 from Lactococcus lactisSimon J Labrie
Department of Food Science, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:4636-44. 2008Lactococcus lactis phage P335 is a virulent type phage for the species that bears its name and belongs to the Siphoviridae family. Morphologically, P335 resembled the L...
- Comparative genomics and transcriptional analysis of prophages identified in the genomes of Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus salivarius, and Lactobacillus caseiMarco Ventura
Department of Genetics, Anthropology and Evolution, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 11 A, 43100 Parma, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:3130-46. 2006..revealed that LgaI, Lca1, Sal1, and Sal2 prophages belong to the group of Sfi11-like pac site and cos site Siphoviridae, respectively...
- Isolation and characterization of Thermus bacteriophagesM X Yu
Promega Corporation, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Arch Virol 151:663-79. 2006..S.A. The phages belonged to the Myoviridae, Siphoviridae, Tectiviridae, and Inoviridae families. Over 50% of isolates were isometric or filamentous...
- FepA- and TonB-dependent bacteriophage H8: receptor binding and genomic sequenceWolfgang Rabsch
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Oklahoma, 620 Parrington Oval, Norman, OK 73019, USA
J Bacteriol 189:5658-74. 2007..Its morphology and genomic structure closely resemble those of bacteriophage T5 in the family Siphoviridae. H8 infected S...
- Wide variation in effectiveness of laboratory disinfectants against bacteriophagesD E Halfhide
Aerobiology Unit, DFAS, Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Langford House, Langford, North Somerset, UK
Lett Appl Microbiol 47:608-12. 2008..The purpose of this study was to identify an effective disinfectant for the inactivation of the bacteriophages (phages) being used in our laboratory, as published studies on phage inactivation are far from unanimous in their conclusions...
- In vivo efficiency evaluation of a phage cocktail in controlling severe colibacillosis in confined conditions and experimental poultry housesAna Oliveira
Department of Research and Development Controlvet, Seguranca Alimentar, S A Zona Industrial de Tondela, ZIM II, L6 Tondela, Portugal
Vet Microbiol 146:303-8. 2010..Three lytic coliphages, phi F78E (Myoviridae), phi F258E (Siphoviridae) and phi F61E (Myoviridae) were combined in a 5...
- [Virus and prophages in aquatic ecosystems]Télesphore Sime-Ngando
Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere, France
Can J Microbiol 55:95-109. 2009..the majority being represented by phages without tails and by tailed-phages such as members of the family Siphoviridae. Both types of phages have a small capsid and a small genome size, which is considered an evolutionary ..
- Origins of the Xylella fastidiosa prophage-like regions and their impact in genome differentiationAlessandro de Mello Varani
Genome and Transposable Elements Laboratory GaTE Lab, Departamento de Botanica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
PLoS ONE 3:e4059. 2008..fastidiosa prophage-like regions are related to structural phage genes belonging to the Siphoviridae family...
- Molecular characterization of Vibrio harveyi bacteriophages isolated from aquaculture environments along the coast of IndiaMockshanath M Shivu
Department of Fishery Microbiology, Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, College of Fisheries, Mangalore 575 002, India
Environ Microbiol 9:322-31. 2007..Morphologically, six phages were grouped under family Siphoviridae and one under Myoviridae...
- Comparative genomics of phages and prophages in lactic acid bacteriaFrank Desiere
Nestle Research Center, Nestec Ltd, Vers chez les Blanc, CH Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 82:73-91. 2002..An Sfi21-like and an Sfi11-like genus of Siphoviridae is proposed...
- phiSITE: database of gene regulation in bacteriophagesLubos Klucar
Institute of Molecular Biology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 21, 84551 Bratislava, Slovakia
Nucleic Acids Res 38:D366-70. 2010..elements (promoters, operators, terminators and attachment sites) from 32 bacteriophages belonging to Siphoviridae, Myoviridae and Podoviridae families...
- The use of degenerate-primed random amplification of polymorphic DNA (DP-RAPD) for strain-typing and inferring the genetic similarity among closely related virusesAndré M Comeau
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z4
J Virol Methods 118:95-100. 2004..As well, marine vibriophage from the families Myoviridae, Siphoviridae, and Podoviridae showed high diversity and were distinct from coliphage and cyanophage...
- Isolation of lytic bacteriophage against Vibrio harveyiC Crothers-Stomps
School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, QLD, Australia
J Appl Microbiol 108:1744-50. 2010..The isolation of lytic bacteriophage of Vibrio harveyi with potential for phage therapy of bacterial pathogens of phyllosoma larvae from the tropical rock lobster Panulirus ornatus...
- Characterization of phages virulent for Sarothamnus scoparius bradyrhizobiaWanda Małek
Department of General Microbiology, M Curie Skłodowska University, Lublin, Poland
Curr Microbiol 51:244-9. 2005..New phages were separated into two morphological families: Siphoviridae with long, noncontractile tails (PhiDl, PhiTl) and Myoviridae with long, contractile tails (PhiCYT21, PhiOS6)...
- An examination of the bacteriophages and bacteria of the Namib desertEric Prestel
Laboratoire de Génomique et Biodiversité Microbienne des Biofilms, Universite Paris Sud 11, Institut de Genetique et Microbiologie, CNRS UMR 8621, Batiment 409, 91405 Orsay, France
J Microbiol 46:364-72. 2008..microscopy revealed 20 seemingly different phage-like morphologies and sizes belonging to the Myoviridae and Siphoviridae families of tailed phages...
- Genomic characterization of the intron-containing T7-like phage phiL7 of Xanthomonas campestrisChia Ni Lee
Institute of Molecular Biology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:7828-37. 2009The lytic phage phiL7, which morphologically belongs to the Siphoviridae family, infects Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris...
- Isolation and characterization of an extremely long tail Thermus bacteriophage from Tengchong hot springs in ChinaLianbing Lin
Biotechnology Research Center, Kunming University of Science and Technology Kunming, China
J Basic Microbiol 50:452-6. 2010..In this research, a Thermus bacteriophage named TSP4 (Thermus Siphoviridae phage) was isolated from Tengchong hot springs in China, and characteristics of morphology, temperature for ..
- Morphological and genetic diversity of temperate phages in Clostridium difficileLouis Charles Fortier
Departement de Microbiologie et d Infectiologie, Faculte de Medecine et des Sciences de la Sante, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1H 5N4
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:7358-66. 2007..capsids and long contractile tails (Myoviridae family), as well as five phages with long noncontractile tails (Siphoviridae family)...
- Isolation and characterization of bacteriophages infecting Staphylococcus epidermidisDiana Gutiérrez
Instituto de Productos Lacteos de Asturias IPLA CSIC, Apdo 85, 33300, Villaviciosa, Asturias, Spain
Curr Microbiol 61:601-8. 2010..Transmission electron microscopy revealed that the phages were of similar size and belonged to the Siphoviridae family. Phage phi-IPLA7 had the broadest host range infecting 21 out of 65 S. epidermidis isolates...
- Characterization of a Leuconostoc gelidum bacteriophage from porkG Gordon Greer
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lacombe Research Centre, 6000 C and E Trail, Lacombe, Alberta, Canada T4L IWl
Int J Food Microbiol 114:370-5. 2007..Electron microscopic observation revealed that phage ggg was a member of the Siphoviridae. The host range was limited to L. gelidum isolates from meats...
- Whole-genome sequencing and gene mapping of a newly isolated lytic enterococcal bacteriophage EFRM31Ramin Mazaheri Nezhad Fard
Sansom Institute, University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Arch Virol 155:1887-91. 2010..The complete bacteriophage genome was determined by shotgun sequencing. EFRM31 belongs to the family Siphoviridae (order Caudovirales) and has a circular double-stranded DNA genome...
- Isolation of a novel bacteriophage specific for the periodontal pathogen Fusobacterium nucleatumPamela Machuca
Laboratorio de Microbiologia y Biotecnologia Oral, Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad Andres Bello, Echaurren 237, Santiago, Chile
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:7243-50. 2010..The morphological features and the genetic characteristics suggest that FnpΦ02 is part of the Siphoviridae family...
- Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophages isolated from Kefir grains: phenotypic and molecular characterizationGraciela De Antoni
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos, Universidad National de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina
J Dairy Res 77:7-12. 2010..Both phages belonged to the Siphoviridae family (morphotype B1) and showed similar dimensions for head and tail sizes...
- Diversity of prophages in dominant Staphylococcus aureus clonal lineagesChristiane Goerke
Institut für Med Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, Elfriede Aulhorn Str 6, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Bacteriol 191:3462-8. 2009..Here we established a classification scheme for staphylococcal prophages of the major Siphoviridae family based on integrase gene polymorphism...
- Characterization of 1706, a virulent phage from Lactococcus lactis with similarities to prophages from other FirmicutesJosiane E Garneau
Departement de Biochimie et de Microbiologie, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Virology 373:298-309. 2008..isolated in 1995 from a failed cheese production in France, represents a new lactococcal phage species of the Siphoviridae family. This phage has a burst size of 160 and a latent period of 85 min...
- Complete genomic sequence of bacteriophage phiEcoM-GJ1, a novel phage that has myovirus morphology and a podovirus-like RNA polymeraseNidham Jamalludeen
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:516-25. 2008..nine with proteins of phages of the family Podoviridae, and six with proteins of phages of the family Siphoviridae. ORF 1 encoded a T7-like single-subunit RNA polymerase and was preceded by a putative E...
- [Isolation and characterization of a Thermus bacteriophage lytic from Tengchong Rehai Hot Spring lytic]Wei Hong
Biotechnology Research Center, Kunming University of Science and Technology, Kunming 650224
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 50:322-7. 2010..Genus Thermus represents an ancient descendant within the domain of Bacteria. This research was focused on the isolation and characterization of Thermus bacteriophages from Tengchong Reihai hot spring...
- Detection and characterization of a lytic Pediococcus bacteriophage from the fermenting cucumber brineSung Sik Yoon
Department of Biological Resources and Technology, Yonsei University, Wonju 220 710, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 17:262-70. 2007..Overall appearance indicated that it belongs to the Siphoviridae family or Bradley's group B1, with a small isometric head and a flexible noncontractile tail with swollen base ..
- Characterization of a lytic Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophage and molecular cloning of a lysin gene in Escherichia coliS S Yoon
Department of Biological Resources and Technology, College of Arts and Sciences, Yonsei University, Wonju, Kangwon Do, South Korea
Int J Food Microbiol 65:63-74. 2001..a non-contractile tail (260 nm long and 9-11 nm wide), indicating that it belongs to Bradley's group B or the Siphoviridae family according to the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV). The bouyant density was 1...
- Therapeutic effects of bacteriophages against Salmonella gallinarum infection in chickensSung Sik Hong
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Yong In 449 791, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 23:1478-83. 2013..They were further tested for their in vivo efficacy in phage therapy. All three phages belong to the Siphoviridae family with isometric heads and non-contractile tails...
- Characterization and genome sequencing of a novel bacteriophage infecting Streptococcus agalactiae with high similarity to a phage from Streptococcus pyogenesQinqin Bai
Key Lab of Animal Bacteriology, Ministry of Agriculture, College of Veterinary Medicine, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, China
Arch Virol 158:1733-41. 2013..The phage morphology showed that JX01 belongs to the family Siphoviridae, and this phage demonstrated a broad host range...
- Complete nucleotide sequence of Bacillus subtilis (natto) bacteriophage PM1, a phage associated with disruption of food productionKenichi Umene
Department of Nutrition and Health Science, Faculty of Human Environmental Science, Fukuoka Woman s University, Fukuoka, 813 8529, Japan
Virus Genes 46:524-34. 2013..In a previous study, PM1 was classified morphologically into the family Siphoviridae, and its genome, comprising approximately 50 kbp of linear double-stranded DNA, was assumed to be circularly ..
- Ten new temperate bacteriophages of Citrobacter youngaeJ Smarda
Department of Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University, 662 43 Brno, Czechia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 49:671-8. 2004..The phages belong to the morphotypes of Myoviridae (6 phages) and Siphoviridae (4 phages), with head diameters of 51-58 nm and tail length of 97-173 nm...
- Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophage LP65: a new member of the SPO1-like genus of the family MyoviridaeSandra Chibani-Chennoufi
Nestle Research Centre, CH 1000 Lausanne, 26 Vers chez les Blanc, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 186:7069-83. 2004..The putative tail sheath protein showed a shear-induced change in electrophoretic migration behavior. The genome organization of the structural module in LP65 resembled that of Siphoviridae from the lambda supergroup.
- The prophages of Lactobacillus johnsonii NCC 533: comparative genomics and transcription analysisMarco Ventura
Nestle Research Center, Nestec Ltd, CH 1026 Lausanne, Switzerland
Virology 320:229-42. 2004..The 38- and 40-kb-long prophages Lj928 and Lj965 represent distinct lineages of Sfi11-like pac-site Siphoviridae unrelated at the DNA sequence level...
- Genome sequence of a novel deep-sea vent epsilonproteobacterial phage provides new insight into the co-evolution of Epsilonproteobacteria and their phagesYukari Yoshida-Takashima
Subsurface Geobiology Advanced Research SUGAR Team, Extremobiosphere Research Program, Institute of Biogeosciences, Japan Agency for Marine Earth Science and Technology JAMSTEC, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 237 0061, Japan
Extremophiles 17:405-19. 2013..NrS-1 belongs to the family Siphoviridae, but its sequence and genomic organization are distinct from those of any other previously known Siphoviridae ..
- Isolation and characterization of bacteriophages specific to hydrogen-sulfide-producing bacteriaChao Gong
Department of Food, Nutrition and Packaging Sciences, Clemson University, D239 P and A Building, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Can J Microbiol 59:39-45. 2013..observation of 9 phages selected for the phage cocktail revealed that 6 phages belonged to the family of Siphoviridae and 3 belonged to the Myoviridae family...
- The Staphylococci phages family: an overviewMarie Deghorain
Laboratoire de Génétique et Physiologie Bactérienne, Faculte de Sciences, IBMM, Universite Libre de Bruxelles ULB, Gosselies, B 6141, Belgium
Viruses 4:3316-35. 2012..level, all these phages characterized so far belong to the Caudovirales order and are mainly temperate Siphoviridae. At the molecular level, comparative genomics revealed an extensive mosaicism, with genes organized into ..
- Characterization of the Burkholderia thailandensis SOS response by using whole-transcriptome shotgun sequencingRicky L Ulrich
Integrated Toxicology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases USAMRIID, Fort Detrick, Maryland, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:5830-43. 2013..thailandensis genomic island encoding a Siphoviridae bacteriophage designated E264. Using B. thailandensis plaque assays and PCR with B...
- Genomic organization and molecular characterization of SM1, a temperate bacteriophage of Streptococcus mitisIan R Siboo
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and University of California, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Bacteriol 185:6968-75. 2003..These findings indicate that SM1 may be part of a discrete subfamily of the Siphoviridae that includes at least phages r1t of Lactococcus lactis and SF370.3 of Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Structural characterization and assembly of the distal tail structure of the temperate lactococcal bacteriophage TP901-1Christina S Vegge
Department of Food Science, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Bacteriol 187:4187-97. 2005..The temperate Lactococcus lactis phage TP901-1 of the Siphoviridae family has a long noncontractile tail with a distal baseplate...
- Prevention of Gordonia and Nocardia stabilized foam formation by using bacteriophage GTE7Steve Petrovski
Biotechnology Research Centre, La Trobe Institute for Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Victoria 3552, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:7864-7. 2011..These are often stabilized by hydrophobic mycolic acid-synthesizing actinobacterial species. A polyvalent Siphoviridae phage, GTE7, which lysed several Gordonia and Nocardia species, is described here...
- 5500 Phages examined in the electron microscopeH W Ackermann
Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Felix d Herelle Reference Center for Bacterial Viruses, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Arch Virol 152:227-43. 2007..Of the tailed phages, 61% have long, noncontractile tails and belong to the family Siphoviridae. Convergent evolution is visible in the morphology of certain phage groups.
- Prophages of Staphylococcus aureus Newman and their contribution to virulenceTaeok Bae
Department of Microbiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Mol Microbiol 62:1035-47. 2006..phiNM1, phiNM2 and phiNM4, members of the siphoviridae family, insert at different sites (poiA, downstream of isdB and geh) in the staphylococcal chromosome...
- Isolation and identification of bacteriophages infecting ayu Plecoglossus altivelis altivelis specific Flavobacterium psychrophilumJi Hyung Kim
Laboratory of Aquatic Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Vet Microbiol 140:109-15. 2010..phages isolated were classified as members of Myoviridae (PFpW-3, PFpC-Y), Podoviridae (PFpW-6, PFpW-7), and Siphoviridae (PFpW-8) and had highly variable patterns of infectivity for different F. psychrophilum isolates (n=128)...
- Bacteriophage ecology in commercial sauerkraut fermentationsZ Lu
Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695 7624, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:3192-202. 2003..They belonged to the family Myoviridae or Siphoviridae and showed distinct host ranges and DNA fingerprints...
- Isolation and characterization of five lytic bacteriophages infecting a Vibrio strain closely related to Vibrio owensiiYan Ping Yu
Key Laboratory of Marine Biogenetic Resources, Third Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, Xiamen, China Marine Biology Institute, Shantou University, Shantou, China
FEMS Microbiol Lett 348:112-9. 2013..All phages were found to belong to the family Siphoviridae with long noncontractile tails and terminal fibers...
- Genome characteristics of a novel phage from Bacillus thuringiensis showing high similarity with phage from Bacillus cereusYihui Yuan
Key Laboratory of Agricultural and Environmental Microbiology, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e37557. 2012..cereus. Several genomes of phages originating from this group had been sequenced, but no genome of Siphoviridae phage from B. thuringiensis has been reported...
- Visualizing a complete Siphoviridae member by single-particle electron microscopy: the structure of lactococcal phage TP901-1Cecilia Bebeacua
Division of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London, United Kingdom
J Virol 87:1061-8. 2013..Finally, we propose that host adsorption apparatus architectures have evolved in correlation with the nature of the receptors used during infection...
- Characterization and genomic analysis of two Staphylococcus aureus bacteriophages isolated from poultry/livestock farmsHyunjin Yoon
Department of Food Technology and Services, College of Health Industry, Eulji University, Seongnam 461 713, Korea
J Gen Virol 94:2569-76. 2013..Both SP5 and SP6 were classified as members of the family Siphoviridae. The genome of SP5 comprises 43 305 bp and contains 63 ORFs, while the SP6 genome comprises 42 902 bp and ..
- Crystallization of the C-terminal domain of the bacteriophage T5 L-shaped fibreCarmela Garcia-Doval
Departamento de Estructura de Macromoléculas, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CNB CSIC, Calle Darwin 3, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 69:1363-7. 2013Tails of bacteriophage T5 (a member of the Siphoviridae family) were studied by electron microscopy...
- Identification of the lower baseplate protein as the antireceptor of the temperate lactococcal bacteriophages TP901-1 and Tuc2009Christina S Vegge
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Stigbøjlen 4, DK 1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Bacteriol 188:55-63. 2006..The temperate Lactococcus lactis phage TP901-1 belongs to the P335 species of the Siphoviridae family, which also includes the related phage Tuc2009...
- Induction and preliminary characterization of a novel halophage SNJ1 from lysogenic Natrinema sp. F5Yunjun Mei
State Key Laboratory of Virology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Can J Microbiol 53:1106-10. 2007..has a head of about 67 nm in diameter and a tail of 570 nm in length and belongs morphologically to the family Siphoviridae. The phage is strongly salt dependent; NaCl concentration affects the integrity of SNJ1, phage adsorption, and ..
- Classification of lytic bacteriophages attacking dairy Leuconostoc starter strainsYahya Ali
Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Max Rubner Institut, Kiel, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:3628-36. 2013..pseudomesenteroides phages, 12 Ln. mesenteroides phages). All phages belonged to the Siphoviridae family of phages with isometric heads (diameter, 55 nm) and noncontractile tails (length, 140 nm)...
- Cluster J mycobacteriophages: intron splicing in capsid and tail genesWelkin H Pope
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e69273. 2013..The six mycobacteriophages forming Cluster J are morphologically members of the Siphoviridae, but have unusually long genomes ranging from 106.3 to 117 kbp...
- Development and application of a method for the purification of free shigatoxigenic bacteriophage from environmental samplesDavid J Rooks
Microbiology Research Group, Institute of Integrative Biology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 7ZB, United Kingdom
J Microbiol Methods 91:240-5. 2012..The remaining 6 phages possessed long tails, four of which appeared to be contractile in nature (Myoviridae) and two of which were morphologically very similar to bacteriophage lambda (Siphoviridae).
- Safety analysis of a Russian phage cocktail: from metagenomic analysis to oral application in healthy human subjectsShawna McCallin
Nestle Research Centre, Nestec Ltd, Vers chez les Blanc, CH 1000 Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Virology 443:187-96. 2013..types, including 7 genera of Podoviridae, 2 established and 2 proposed genera of Myoviridae, and 2 genera of Siphoviridae. De novo assembly yielded 7 contigs greater than 30 kb, including a 147-kb Myovirus genome and a 42-kb genome ..
- Existence of lysogenic bacteriophages in Bacillus thuringiensis type strainsJong Yul Roh
Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
J Invertebr Pathol 113:228-31. 2013..Their morphological characteristic suggests that they belong to Family Siphoviridae which had a long tail and symmetrical head.
- Phage-antibiotic synergism: a possible approach to combatting Pseudomonas aeruginosaPetar Knezevic
Department of Biology and Ecology, University of Novi Sad, Trg Dositeja Obradovica 2, Novi Sad, Vojvodina, Serbia
Res Microbiol 164:55-60. 2013..aeruginosa-specific bacteriophages belonging to families Podoviridae and Siphoviridae. The time-kill curve method showed that a combination of bacteriophages and subinhibitory concentrations of ..
- Characterization of novel phages isolated in coagulase-negative staphylococci reveals evolutionary relationships with Staphylococcus aureus phagesMarie Deghorain
Laboratoire de Génétique et Physiologie Bactérienne, Faculte de Sciences, IBMM, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Gosselies, Belgium
J Bacteriol 194:5829-39. 2012..We isolated and sequenced three novel temperate Siphoviridae phages (StB12, StB27, and StB20) from the CoNS Staphylococcus hominis and S. capitis species...
- Isolation and characterisation of lytic bacteriophages of Klebsiella pneumoniae and Klebsiella oxytocaNatia Karumidze
Eliava Institute of Bacteriophages, Microbiology and Virology, Tbilisi, Georgia
Curr Microbiol 66:251-8. 2013..reported in this study are double-stranded DNA bacterial viruses belonging to the families Podoviridae and Siphoviridae. One or more of the six phages was capable of efficiently lysing ~63 % of Klebsiella strains comprising a ..
- Fighting foam with phages?J A Thomas
Biotechnology Research Centre, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Water Sci Technol 46:511-8. 2002..Their morphology indicated that they were all members of the viral family Siphoviridae, but they varied in the size of the icosahedral head and length of non-contractile tail, suggesting they were ..
- Genome sequence and characterization of a Rhodococcus equi phage REQ1Steve Petrovski
La Trobe Institute for Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Vic, Australia
Virus Genes 46:588-90. 2013..A novel Siphoviridae bacteriophage (REQ1) lytic in R. equi was isolated and characterized...
- Complete genomic sequence of the virulent bacteriophage RAP44 of Riemerella anatipestiferLong Fei Cheng
Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Fujian Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Fuzhou 350013, Fujian Province, People s Republic of China
Avian Dis 56:321-7. 2012A virulent Riemerella anatipestifer bacteriophage, RAP44, belonging to the Siphoviridae family of tailed phages, was previously isolated from feces of healthy Muscovy ducks in China...
- Elevated enterotoxin A expression and formation in Staphylococcus aureus and its association with prophage inductionRong Cao
Applied Microbiology, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:4942-8. 2012..Furthermore, differences in nucleotide sequence in the Siphoviridae phage region showed two clonal lineages of the high-SEA-producing strains...
- Genome sequence of temperate bacteriophage Psymv2 from Antarctic Dry Valley soil isolate Psychrobacter sp. MV2Tracy L Meiring
Institute for Microbial Biotechnology and Metagenomics, University of the Western Cape, Office 2117, Level 2 Life Sciences Building, Modderdam Rd, Bellville 7535, South Africa
Extremophiles 16:715-26. 2012..MV2. The morphology of Psymv2 was typical of the Siphoviridae, with an isometric head and non-contractile tail...
- Complete genome sequence of bacteriophage BC-611 specifically infecting Enterococcus faecalis strain NP-10011Tomohiro Horiuchi
Graduate School of Bioresources, Mie University, Nichinichi Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Mie, Japan
J Virol 86:9538-9. 2012..We isolated a virulent Siphoviridae bacteriophage, BC-611, specifically infecting E. faecalis strain NP-10011 but not infecting other E...
- Complete genome sequence of Caulobacter crescentus bacteriophage φCbKGaël Panis
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Virol 86:10234-5. 2012CbK is a B3 morphotype bacteriophage of the Siphoviridae family that infects Caulobacter crescentus, the preeminent model system for bacterial cell cycle studies...
- Genomic, proteomic and physiological characterization of a T5-like bacteriophage for control of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7Yan D Niu
Lethbridge Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e34585. 2012..Bacteriophage vB_EcoS_AKFV33 (AKFV33), a T5-like phage of Siphoviridae lysed common phage types of STEC O157:H7 and not non-O157 E. coli...
- Complete genome sequence of enterococcal bacteriophage SAP6Young Duck Lee
Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, College of Engineering, Gachon University, Sungnam si, Kyunggi Do, South Korea
J Virol 86:5402-3. 2012..faecalis, we isolated a virulent enterococcal bacteriophage, SAP6, belonging to the family Siphoviridae. To our knowledge, this study is the first to report the complete genome sequence of bacteriophage SAP6, which ..
- Complete genome sequence of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium bacteriophage SPN3UBJu Hoon Lee
Department of Food and Animal Biotechnology and Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Agricultural Biomaterials, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
J Virol 86:3404-5. 2012..This phage belongs morphologically to the Siphoviridae family and infects the host via the O antigen of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)...
- Virus removal in ceramic depth filters based on diatomaceous earthBenjamin Michen
Laboratory for High Performance Ceramics, Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, Ueberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Duebendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 46:1170-7. 2012..However, a larger-sized, tailed bacteriophage of the family Siphoviridae was removed by log 2 to 3, which is explained by postulating hydrophobic interactions.
- Complete genome sequence of a novel marine siphovirus, pVp-1, infecting Vibrio parahaemolyticusJi Hyung Kim
Laboratory of Aquatic Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine and Research Institute for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Virol 86:7013-4. 2012..Here we report the complete genome sequence of Vibrio phage pVP-1, which belongs to the family Siphoviridae and infects Vibrio parahaemolyticus ATCC 33844.
- First complete genome sequence of two Staphylococcus epidermidis bacteriophagesAnu Daniel
Laboratory of Bacterial Pathogenesis and Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Bacteriol 189:2086-100. 2007..epidermidis phages, phiPH15 (PH15) and phiCNPH82 (CNPH82). Both phages belonged to the Siphoviridae family and produced stable lysogens...
- Diversity of temperate bacteriophages induced in bovine and ovine Mannheimia haemolytica isolates and identification of a new P2-like phageRobert L Davies
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 260:162-70. 2006..glucosida and one (25%) P. trehalosi isolate. The M. haemolytica phages were relatively diverse as seven Siphoviridae, 15 Myoviridae and two Podoviridae-like phages were identified; the Myoviridae-type phages also exhibited ..
- A group I intron in the terminase gene of Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis phage LL-HM Mikkonen
Department of Genetics, University of Oulu, Finland
Microbiology 141:2183-90. 1995..bacteria and the first one to be found in a phage belonging to the most abundant taxonomic group, group B or Siphoviridae. The LL-H intron interrupts gene terL, the product of which (50...
- Genome sequence and analysis of a Propionibacterium acnes bacteriophageMark D Farrar
Skin Research Centre, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Bacteriol 189:4161-7. 2007..PA6 possesses an icosahedreal head and long noncontractile tail characteristic of the Siphoviridae. The overall genome organization of PA6 resembled that of the temperate mycobacteriophages, although the genome ..
- Phage diversity in a methanogenic digesterM O Park
Laboratory of Applied Microbiology, Marine Biotechnology Institute, Kamaishi, Iwate, 026 0001, Japan
Microb Ecol 53:98-103. 2007..A production rate of the PLPs was estimated at least 5.2 x 10(7) PLPs day-1 L-1. TEM and FIGE showed that a variety of phages were produced in the digester, including those affiliated with Siphoviridae, Myoviridae, and Cystoviridae.
- [Biology of two lysogenic phages from Bacillus thuringiensis MZ1]Wei Liao
State Key Laboratory of Biocontrol, Sun Yat Sen Zhongshan University, Guangzhou 510275, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 47:92-7. 2007..They belonged to family Siphoviridae, which had icosahedral heads (MZTP01 :82nm x 85nm; MZTP02: 75nm x 55nm) and long tails (MZTP01: 220nm x 18nm; ..
- Sequence analysis of the Lactobacillus temperate phage Sha1Bo Hyun Yoon
College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, 5 1 Anam dong, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, Korea
Arch Virol 156:1681-4. 2011..Sha1 can be classified as a member of the large family Siphoviridae by genomic structure and morphology...
- Complete genome sequence of Bacillus cereus bacteriophage BCP78Ju Hoon Lee
Department of Food and Animal Biotechnology, Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Agricultural Biomaterials, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 921, South Korea
J Virol 86:637-8. 2012..To develop a novel biocontrol agent to inhibit this pathogen, bacteriophage BCP78 belonging to the Siphoviridae family was isolated from a fermented food sample...
- Characterization of four lytic transducing bacteriophages of luminescent Vibrio harveyi isolated from shrimp (Penaeus monodon) hatcheriesSanjeevi Thiyagarajan
Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Raja Annamalai Puram, Chennai, India
FEMS Microbiol Lett 325:85-91. 2011..head of 60-115 nm size with a long, noncontractile tail of 130-329 × 1-17 nm, belonged to the family Siphoviridae. φVh3 had an icosahedral head (72 ± 5 nm) with a short tail (27 × 12 nm) and belonged to Podoviridae...
- Genome sequences and characterization of the related Gordonia phages GTE5 and GRU1 and their use as potential biocontrol agentsSteve Petrovski
La Trobe Institute for Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:42-7. 2012..Phage GRU1 also propagates on Nocardia nova. Both phages belong to the family Siphoviridae and have similar-size icosahedral heads that encapsulate double-stranded DNA genomes (∼65 kb)...
- Small but sufficient: the Rhodococcus phage RRH1 has the smallest known Siphoviridae genome at 14.2 kilobasesSteve Petrovski
La Trobe Institute for Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Victoria 3552, Australia
J Virol 86:358-63. 2012Bacteriophages are considered to be the most abundant biological entities on the planet. The Siphoviridae are the most commonly encountered tailed phages and contain double-stranded DNA with an average genome size of ∼50 kb...
- Anatomy of a lactococcal phage tailStephen Mc Grath
Department of Microbiology, National University of Ireland, Cork, Ireland
J Bacteriol 188:3972-82. 2006Bacteriophages of the Siphoviridae family utilize a long noncontractile tail to recognize, adsorb to, and inject DNA into their bacterial host...