phages with long non-contractile tails
Alias: Siphoviridae, Styloviridae
Publications122 found, 100 shown here
- Characterization of LytA-like N-acetylmuramoyl-L-alanine amidases from two new Streptococcus mitis bacteriophages provides insights into the properties of the major pneumococcal autolysinPatricia Romero
Departmento de Microbiologia Molecular, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Bacteriol 186:8229-39. 2004Two new temperate bacteriophages exhibiting a Myoviridae (phiB6) and a Siphoviridae (phiHER) morphology have been isolated from Streptococcus mitis strains B6 and HER 1055, respectively, and partially characterized...
- Comparative genome analysis of Listeria bacteriophages reveals extensive mosaicism, programmed translational frameshifting, and a novel prophage insertion siteJulia Dorscht
Abteilung Mikrobiologie, Zentralinstitut für Ernährungs und Lebensmittelforschung, Technische Universitat Munchen, Freising, Germany
J Bacteriol 191:7206-15. 2009..Phages A006, A500, B025, P35, and P40 are members of the Siphoviridae and contain double-stranded DNA genomes of between 35.6 kb and 42.7 kb...
- Isolation and identification of bacteriophages infecting ayu Plecoglossus altivelis altivelis specific Flavobacterium psychrophilumJi Hyung Kim
Laboratory of Aquatic Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Vet Microbiol 140:109-15. 2010..phages isolated were classified as members of Myoviridae (PFpW-3, PFpC-Y), Podoviridae (PFpW-6, PFpW-7), and Siphoviridae (PFpW-8) and had highly variable patterns of infectivity for different F. psychrophilum isolates (n=128)...
- Bacteriophage diversity in the North SeaA Wichels
Biologische Anstalt Helgoland, D 27498 Helgoland, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:4128-33. 1998..of morphology, 11 phages were assigned to the virus family Myoviridae, 7 phages were assigned to the family Siphoviridae, and 4 phages were assigned to the family Podoviridae...
- Phim46.1, the main Streptococcus pyogenes element carrying mef(A) and tet(O) genesAndrea Brenciani
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Section of Microbiology, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via Tronto 10 A, Ancona 60020, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:221-9. 2010..1 revealed phage particles with the distinctive icosahedral head and tail morphology of the Siphoviridae family. The chromosome integration site was within a 23S rRNA uracil methyltransferase gene...
- Identification and characterization of bacteriophages specific to the catfish pathogen, Edwardsiella ictaluriJ K Walakira
Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquaculture, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
J Appl Microbiol 105:2133-42. 2008..To identify and characterize bacteriophages specific for Edwardsiella ictaluri, the causative agent for enteric septicemia of catfish (ESC)...
- [Isolation and characterization of Serratia marcescens phage]Long Yu
State Research Center for Bio protective Equipment and Engineering Technology, State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Beijing 100071, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 48:498-502. 2008..To isolate the bacteriophage of Serratia marcescens (8039) from sewage, and to study on its biological characteristics...
- Flow cytometric detection of virusesC P Brussaard
Department of Microbiology, University of Bergen, Norway
J Virol Methods 85:175-82. 2000..Baculoviridae, Herpesviridae, Myoviridae, Phycodnaviridae, Picornaviridae, Podoviridae, Retroviridae, and Siphoviridae) were stained using a variety of highly fluorescent nucleic acid specific dyes (SYBR Green I, SYBR Green II, ..
- The influence of the mode of administration in the dissemination of three coliphages in chickensA Oliveira
Research and Development Department, Controlvet, Segurança Alimentar S A, Zona Industrial de Tondela, ZIM II, L 6, 3460 070 Tondela, Portugal
Poult Sci 88:728-33. 2009..10(7), and 10(8) plaque-forming units/mL suspensions of 3 lytic phages: phi F78E (Myoviridae), phi F258E (Siphoviridae), and phi F61E (Myoviridae)...
- Remarkable morphological diversity of viruses and virus-like particles in hot terrestrial environmentsR Rachel
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie und Archaeenzentrum, Universitat Regensburg, Germany
Arch Virol 147:2419-29. 2002..Two virus types resembled head-and-tail bacteriophages from the families Siphoviridae and Podoviridae, and constituted the first observation of these viruses in a hydrothermal environment...
- Bacteriophages induced from lysogenic root canal isolates of Enterococcus faecalisR H Stevens
Department of Endodontology, Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry, 3223 NorthBroad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 24:278-84. 2009..In this study, we sought to detect, isolate, and describe temperate bacteriophages harbored by Enterococcus faecalis strains isolated from endodontic infections...
- Identification of tail genes in the temperate phage 16-3 of Sinorhizobium meliloti 41Veronika Deák
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of Pecs, H 7601 Pecs, Hungary
J Bacteriol 192:1617-23. 2010..showed that phage 16-3 possesses an icosahedral head and a long, noncontractile tail characteristic of the Siphoviridae. By using a lysogenic S...
- Isolation and characterization of a virulent bacteriophage AB1 of Acinetobacter baumanniiHongjiang Yang
Key Laboratory of Industrial Microbiology, Ministry of Education, PO Box 08, Tianjin University of Science and Technology, TEDA, Tianjin 300457, PR China
BMC Microbiol 10:131. 2010..In this study, we described the isolation and characterization of one virulent bacteriophage AB1 capable of specifically infecting A. baumannii...
- Morphology, genome sequence, and structural proteome of type phage P335 from Lactococcus lactisSimon J Labrie
Department of Food Science, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:4636-44. 2008Lactococcus lactis phage P335 is a virulent type phage for the species that bears its name and belongs to the Siphoviridae family. Morphologically, P335 resembled the L...
- Cultivation-based assessment of lysogeny among soil bacteriaKurt E Williamson
Environmental Genomics Group, J Craig Venter Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Microb Ecol 56:437-47. 2008..Morphological analysis revealed that four of the lysogens produced lambda-like Siphoviridae particles, whereas two produced Myoviridae particles...
- Characterization of bacteriophages used in the Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis phage-typing schemeN De Lappe
National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Republic of Ireland
J Med Microbiol 58:86-93. 2009..The 16 phages comprise three morphotypes, Podoviridae (SETP1, 8, 10, 14, 15 and 16), Siphoviridae (SETP3, 5, 7, 11, 12 and 13) and Myoviridae (SETP2, 4, 6 and 9)...
- Morphology and general characteristics of bacteriophages infectious to Robinia pseudoacacia mesorhizobiaAnna Turska-Szewczuk
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, Maria Curie Skłodowska University, 19 Akademicka St, 20 033 Lublin, Poland
Curr Microbiol 61:315-21. 2010..Mlo1, with its elongated hexagonal head and a long flexible tail represented subgroup B2 bacteriophages, the Siphoviridae family...
- Molecular characterization and lytic activities of Streptococcus agalactiae bacteriophages and determination of lysogenic-strain featuresAnne Sophie Domelier
Equipe d Accueil 3854, Bactéries et Risque Maternofoetal, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 136, Agents Transmissibles et Infectiologie, UFR Medecine, Universite Francois Rabelais de Tours, 37032 Tours Cedex, France
J Bacteriol 191:4776-85. 2009..On electron microscopy of the phage suspensions, it was possible to assign the phages to the Siphoviridae family, with three different morphotypes (A, B, and C)...
- Isolation and characterization of Thermus bacteriophagesM X Yu
Promega Corporation, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Arch Virol 151:663-79. 2006..S.A. The phages belonged to the Myoviridae, Siphoviridae, Tectiviridae, and Inoviridae families. Over 50% of isolates were isometric or filamentous...
- FepA- and TonB-dependent bacteriophage H8: receptor binding and genomic sequenceWolfgang Rabsch
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Oklahoma, 620 Parrington Oval, Norman, OK 73019, USA
J Bacteriol 189:5658-74. 2007..Its morphology and genomic structure closely resemble those of bacteriophage T5 in the family Siphoviridae. H8 infected S...
- Wide variation in effectiveness of laboratory disinfectants against bacteriophagesD E Halfhide
Aerobiology Unit, DFAS, Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Langford House, Langford, North Somerset, UK
Lett Appl Microbiol 47:608-12. 2008..The purpose of this study was to identify an effective disinfectant for the inactivation of the bacteriophages (phages) being used in our laboratory, as published studies on phage inactivation are far from unanimous in their conclusions...
- Comparative genomics and transcriptional analysis of prophages identified in the genomes of Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus salivarius, and Lactobacillus caseiMarco Ventura
Department of Genetics, Anthropology and Evolution, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 11 A, 43100 Parma, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:3130-46. 2006..revealed that LgaI, Lca1, Sal1, and Sal2 prophages belong to the group of Sfi11-like pac site and cos site Siphoviridae, respectively...
- [Virus and prophages in aquatic ecosystems]Télesphore Sime-Ngando
Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere, France
Can J Microbiol 55:95-109. 2009..the majority being represented by phages without tails and by tailed-phages such as members of the family Siphoviridae. Both types of phages have a small capsid and a small genome size, which is considered an evolutionary ..
- Origins of the Xylella fastidiosa prophage-like regions and their impact in genome differentiationAlessandro de Mello Varani
Genome and Transposable Elements Laboratory GaTE Lab, Departamento de Botanica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
PLoS ONE 3:e4059. 2008..fastidiosa prophage-like regions are related to structural phage genes belonging to the Siphoviridae family...
- In vivo efficiency evaluation of a phage cocktail in controlling severe colibacillosis in confined conditions and experimental poultry housesAna Oliveira
Department of Research and Development Controlvet, Seguranca Alimentar, S A Zona Industrial de Tondela, ZIM II, L6 Tondela, Portugal
Vet Microbiol 146:303-8. 2010..Three lytic coliphages, phi F78E (Myoviridae), phi F258E (Siphoviridae) and phi F61E (Myoviridae) were combined in a 5...
- Comparative genomics of phages and prophages in lactic acid bacteriaFrank Desiere
Nestle Research Center, Nestec Ltd, Vers chez les Blanc, CH Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 82:73-91. 2002..An Sfi21-like and an Sfi11-like genus of Siphoviridae is proposed...
- Molecular characterization of Vibrio harveyi bacteriophages isolated from aquaculture environments along the coast of IndiaMockshanath M Shivu
Department of Fishery Microbiology, Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, College of Fisheries, Mangalore 575 002, India
Environ Microbiol 9:322-31. 2007..Morphologically, six phages were grouped under family Siphoviridae and one under Myoviridae...
- phiSITE: database of gene regulation in bacteriophagesLubos Klucar
Institute of Molecular Biology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 21, 84551 Bratislava, Slovakia
Nucleic Acids Res 38:D366-70. 2010..elements (promoters, operators, terminators and attachment sites) from 32 bacteriophages belonging to Siphoviridae, Myoviridae and Podoviridae families...
- Characterization of phages virulent for Sarothamnus scoparius bradyrhizobiaWanda Małek
Department of General Microbiology, M Curie Skłodowska University, Lublin, Poland
Curr Microbiol 51:244-9. 2005..New phages were separated into two morphological families: Siphoviridae with long, noncontractile tails (PhiDl, PhiTl) and Myoviridae with long, contractile tails (PhiCYT21, PhiOS6)...
- The use of degenerate-primed random amplification of polymorphic DNA (DP-RAPD) for strain-typing and inferring the genetic similarity among closely related virusesAndré M Comeau
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z4
J Virol Methods 118:95-100. 2004..As well, marine vibriophage from the families Myoviridae, Siphoviridae, and Podoviridae showed high diversity and were distinct from coliphage and cyanophage...
- An examination of the bacteriophages and bacteria of the Namib desertEric Prestel
Laboratoire de Génomique et Biodiversité Microbienne des Biofilms, Universite Paris Sud 11, Institut de Genetique et Microbiologie, CNRS UMR 8621, Batiment 409, 91405 Orsay, France
J Microbiol 46:364-72. 2008..microscopy revealed 20 seemingly different phage-like morphologies and sizes belonging to the Myoviridae and Siphoviridae families of tailed phages...
- Genomic characterization of the intron-containing T7-like phage phiL7 of Xanthomonas campestrisChia Ni Lee
Institute of Molecular Biology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:7828-37. 2009The lytic phage phiL7, which morphologically belongs to the Siphoviridae family, infects Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris...
- Isolation of lytic bacteriophage against Vibrio harveyiC Crothers-Stomps
School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, QLD, Australia
J Appl Microbiol 108:1744-50. 2010..The isolation of lytic bacteriophage of Vibrio harveyi with potential for phage therapy of bacterial pathogens of phyllosoma larvae from the tropical rock lobster Panulirus ornatus...
- Isolation and characterization of an extremely long tail Thermus bacteriophage from Tengchong hot springs in ChinaLianbing Lin
Biotechnology Research Center, Kunming University of Science and Technology Kunming, China
J Basic Microbiol 50:452-6. 2010..In this research, a Thermus bacteriophage named TSP4 (Thermus Siphoviridae phage) was isolated from Tengchong hot springs in China, and characteristics of morphology, temperature for ..
- Morphological and genetic diversity of temperate phages in Clostridium difficileLouis Charles Fortier
Departement de Microbiologie et d Infectiologie, Faculte de Medecine et des Sciences de la Sante, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1H 5N4
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:7358-66. 2007..capsids and long contractile tails (Myoviridae family), as well as five phages with long noncontractile tails (Siphoviridae family)...
- Isolation and characterization of bacteriophages infecting Staphylococcus epidermidisDiana Gutiérrez
Instituto de Productos Lacteos de Asturias IPLA CSIC, Apdo 85, 33300, Villaviciosa, Asturias, Spain
Curr Microbiol 61:601-8. 2010..Transmission electron microscopy revealed that the phages were of similar size and belonged to the Siphoviridae family. Phage phi-IPLA7 had the broadest host range infecting 21 out of 65 S. epidermidis isolates...
- Characterization of a Leuconostoc gelidum bacteriophage from porkG Gordon Greer
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lacombe Research Centre, 6000 C and E Trail, Lacombe, Alberta, Canada T4L IWl
Int J Food Microbiol 114:370-5. 2007..Electron microscopic observation revealed that phage ggg was a member of the Siphoviridae. The host range was limited to L. gelidum isolates from meats...
- Whole-genome sequencing and gene mapping of a newly isolated lytic enterococcal bacteriophage EFRM31Ramin Mazaheri Nezhad Fard
Sansom Institute, University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Arch Virol 155:1887-91. 2010..The complete bacteriophage genome was determined by shotgun sequencing. EFRM31 belongs to the family Siphoviridae (order Caudovirales) and has a circular double-stranded DNA genome...
- Isolation of a novel bacteriophage specific for the periodontal pathogen Fusobacterium nucleatumPamela Machuca
Laboratorio de Microbiologia y Biotecnologia Oral, Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad Andres Bello, Echaurren 237, Santiago, Chile
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:7243-50. 2010..The morphological features and the genetic characteristics suggest that FnpΦ02 is part of the Siphoviridae family...
- Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophages isolated from Kefir grains: phenotypic and molecular characterizationGraciela De Antoni
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos, Universidad National de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina
J Dairy Res 77:7-12. 2010..Both phages belonged to the Siphoviridae family (morphotype B1) and showed similar dimensions for head and tail sizes...
- Diversity of prophages in dominant Staphylococcus aureus clonal lineagesChristiane Goerke
Institut für Med Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, Elfriede Aulhorn Str 6, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Bacteriol 191:3462-8. 2009..Here we established a classification scheme for staphylococcal prophages of the major Siphoviridae family based on integrase gene polymorphism...
- Characterization of 1706, a virulent phage from Lactococcus lactis with similarities to prophages from other FirmicutesJosiane E Garneau
Departement de Biochimie et de Microbiologie, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Virology 373:298-309. 2008..isolated in 1995 from a failed cheese production in France, represents a new lactococcal phage species of the Siphoviridae family. This phage has a burst size of 160 and a latent period of 85 min...
- Complete genomic sequence of bacteriophage phiEcoM-GJ1, a novel phage that has myovirus morphology and a podovirus-like RNA polymeraseNidham Jamalludeen
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:516-25. 2008..nine with proteins of phages of the family Podoviridae, and six with proteins of phages of the family Siphoviridae. ORF 1 encoded a T7-like single-subunit RNA polymerase and was preceded by a putative E...
- [Isolation and characterization of a Thermus bacteriophage lytic from Tengchong Rehai Hot Spring lytic]Wei Hong
Biotechnology Research Center, Kunming University of Science and Technology, Kunming 650224
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 50:322-7. 2010..Genus Thermus represents an ancient descendant within the domain of Bacteria. This research was focused on the isolation and characterization of Thermus bacteriophages from Tengchong Reihai hot spring...
- Detection and characterization of a lytic Pediococcus bacteriophage from the fermenting cucumber brineSung Sik Yoon
Department of Biological Resources and Technology, Yonsei University, Wonju 220 710, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 17:262-70. 2007..Overall appearance indicated that it belongs to the Siphoviridae family or Bradley's group B1, with a small isometric head and a flexible noncontractile tail with swollen base ..
- Characterization of a lytic Lactobacillus plantarum bacteriophage and molecular cloning of a lysin gene in Escherichia coliS S Yoon
Department of Biological Resources and Technology, College of Arts and Sciences, Yonsei University, Wonju, Kangwon Do, South Korea
Int J Food Microbiol 65:63-74. 2001..a non-contractile tail (260 nm long and 9-11 nm wide), indicating that it belongs to Bradley's group B or the Siphoviridae family according to the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV). The bouyant density was 1...
- Elevated enterotoxin A expression and formation in Staphylococcus aureus and its association with prophage inductionRong Cao
Applied Microbiology, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:4942-8. 2012..Furthermore, differences in nucleotide sequence in the Siphoviridae phage region showed two clonal lineages of the high-SEA-producing strains...
- Complete genome sequence of bacteriophage BC-611 specifically infecting Enterococcus faecalis strain NP-10011Tomohiro Horiuchi
Graduate School of Bioresources, Mie University, Nichinichi Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Mie, Japan
J Virol 86:9538-9. 2012..We isolated a virulent Siphoviridae bacteriophage, BC-611, specifically infecting E. faecalis strain NP-10011 but not infecting other E...
- Genome sequence of temperate bacteriophage Psymv2 from Antarctic Dry Valley soil isolate Psychrobacter sp. MV2Tracy L Meiring
Institute for Microbial Biotechnology and Metagenomics, University of the Western Cape, Office 2117, Level 2 Life Sciences Building, Modderdam Rd, Bellville 7535, South Africa
Extremophiles 16:715-26. 2012..MV2. The morphology of Psymv2 was typical of the Siphoviridae, with an isometric head and non-contractile tail...
- Complete genomic sequence of the virulent bacteriophage RAP44 of Riemerella anatipestiferLong Fei Cheng
Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, Fujian Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Fuzhou 350013, Fujian Province, People s Republic of China
Avian Dis 56:321-7. 2012A virulent Riemerella anatipestifer bacteriophage, RAP44, belonging to the Siphoviridae family of tailed phages, was previously isolated from feces of healthy Muscovy ducks in China...
- Complete genome sequence of Caulobacter crescentus bacteriophage φCbKGaël Panis
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Virol 86:10234-5. 2012CbK is a B3 morphotype bacteriophage of the Siphoviridae family that infects Caulobacter crescentus, the preeminent model system for bacterial cell cycle studies...
- Complete genome sequence of a novel marine siphovirus, pVp-1, infecting Vibrio parahaemolyticusJi Hyung Kim
Laboratory of Aquatic Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine and Research Institute for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Virol 86:7013-4. 2012..Here we report the complete genome sequence of Vibrio phage pVP-1, which belongs to the family Siphoviridae and infects Vibrio parahaemolyticus ATCC 33844.
- Genomic, proteomic and physiological characterization of a T5-like bacteriophage for control of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7Yan D Niu
Lethbridge Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e34585. 2012..Bacteriophage vB_EcoS_AKFV33 (AKFV33), a T5-like phage of Siphoviridae lysed common phage types of STEC O157:H7 and not non-O157 E. coli...
- Complete genome sequence of enterococcal bacteriophage SAP6Young Duck Lee
Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, College of Engineering, Gachon University, Sungnam si, Kyunggi Do, South Korea
J Virol 86:5402-3. 2012..faecalis, we isolated a virulent enterococcal bacteriophage, SAP6, belonging to the family Siphoviridae. To our knowledge, this study is the first to report the complete genome sequence of bacteriophage SAP6, which ..
- Virus removal in ceramic depth filters based on diatomaceous earthBenjamin Michen
Laboratory for High Performance Ceramics, Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, Ueberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Duebendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 46:1170-7. 2012..However, a larger-sized, tailed bacteriophage of the family Siphoviridae was removed by log 2 to 3, which is explained by postulating hydrophobic interactions.
- Complete genome sequence of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium bacteriophage SPN3UBJu Hoon Lee
Department of Food and Animal Biotechnology and Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Agricultural Biomaterials, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
J Virol 86:3404-5. 2012..This phage belongs morphologically to the Siphoviridae family and infects the host via the O antigen of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)...
- Development of an anti-Salmonella phage cocktail with increased host rangeJiayi Zhang
Department of Animal Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Foodborne Pathog Dis 7:1415-9. 2010..collected samples from wastewater treatment facilities and isolated 20 distinct phages belonging to either the Siphoviridae or Myoviridae families...
- Crystal structure of bacteriophage SPP1 distal tail protein (gp19.1): a baseplate hub paradigm in gram-positive infecting phagesDavid Veesler
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques, UMR 6098 CNRS and Universités d Aix Marseille I and II, Campus de Luminy, Case 932, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
J Biol Chem 285:36666-73. 2010..to several phage proteins, suggesting that Dit is a docking platform for the tail adsorption apparatus in Siphoviridae infecting gram-positive bacteria and that its architecture is a paradigm for these hub proteins...
- Complete genomic sequence of the Lactobacillus temperate phage LF1Bo Hyun Yoon
College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, 5 1 Anam dong, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, Korea
Arch Virol 156:1909-12. 2011..TEM), LF1 has an isometric head and a non-contractile tail, indicating that it belongs to the family Siphoviridae. The temperate phage LF1 has a good genetic mosaic relationship with ΦPYB5 in the packaging module...
- Genome organization and characterization of the virulent lactococcal phage 1358 and its similarities to Listeria phagesMarie Eve Dupuis
Departement de Biochimie et de Microbiologie, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Groupe de Recherche en Ecologie Buccale, Felix d Herelle Reference Center for Bacterial Viruses, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec G1V 0A6, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:1623-32. 2010..icosahedral capsid connected to one of the smallest noncontractile tails found in a lactococcal phage of the Siphoviridae family...
- Small but sufficient: the Rhodococcus phage RRH1 has the smallest known Siphoviridae genome at 14.2 kilobasesSteve Petrovski
La Trobe Institute for Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Victoria 3552, Australia
J Virol 86:358-63. 2012Bacteriophages are considered to be the most abundant biological entities on the planet. The Siphoviridae are the most commonly encountered tailed phages and contain double-stranded DNA with an average genome size of ∼50 kb...
- Genome sequences and characterization of the related Gordonia phages GTE5 and GRU1 and their use as potential biocontrol agentsSteve Petrovski
La Trobe Institute for Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:42-7. 2012..Phage GRU1 also propagates on Nocardia nova. Both phages belong to the family Siphoviridae and have similar-size icosahedral heads that encapsulate double-stranded DNA genomes (∼65 kb)...
- Characterization of four lytic transducing bacteriophages of luminescent Vibrio harveyi isolated from shrimp (Penaeus monodon) hatcheriesSanjeevi Thiyagarajan
Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Raja Annamalai Puram, Chennai, India
FEMS Microbiol Lett 325:85-91. 2011..head of 60-115 nm size with a long, noncontractile tail of 130-329 × 1-17 nm, belonged to the family Siphoviridae. φVh3 had an icosahedral head (72 ± 5 nm) with a short tail (27 × 12 nm) and belonged to Podoviridae...
- Complete genome sequence of Bacillus cereus bacteriophage BCP78Ju Hoon Lee
Department of Food and Animal Biotechnology, Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Agricultural Biomaterials, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 921, South Korea
J Virol 86:637-8. 2012..To develop a novel biocontrol agent to inhibit this pathogen, bacteriophage BCP78 belonging to the Siphoviridae family was isolated from a fermented food sample...
- Sequence analysis of the Lactobacillus temperate phage Sha1Bo Hyun Yoon
College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, 5 1 Anam dong, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, Korea
Arch Virol 156:1681-4. 2011..Sha1 can be classified as a member of the large family Siphoviridae by genomic structure and morphology...
- Survival of prototype strains of somatic coliphage families in environmental waters and when exposed to UV low-pressure monochromatic radiation or heatHee Suk Lee
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Water Res 45:3723-34. 2011..Microviridae (type strain PhiX174), Siphoviridae (type strain Lambda), and Myoviridae (type strain T4) viruses were the most persistent in water at the ..
- Characterization of Lactococcus lactis phage 949 and comparison with other lactococcal phagesJulie E Samson
Groupe de Recherche en Ecologie Buccale, Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec G1V0A6, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:6843-52. 2010..This phage is a member of the Siphoviridae family and of a rare lactococcal phage group that bears its name (949 group)...
- The annotated complete DNA sequence of Enterococcus faecalis bacteriophage φEf11 and its comparison with all available phage and predicted prophage genomesRoy H Stevens
Department of Endodontology, Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 317:9-26. 2011Ef11 is a temperate Siphoviridae bacteriophage isolated by induction from a lysogenic Enterococcus faecalis strain. The φEf11 DNA was completely sequenced and found to be 42,822 bp in length, with a G+C mol% of 34.4%...
- Complete genome sequence of ΦMH1, a Leuconostoc temperate phageSe Hwan Jang
Korea University, Anam Dong, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, Korea
Arch Virol 155:1883-5. 2010..MH1 can be classified as a member of the family Siphoviridae by morphology and genome structure...
- Genomic sequence and characterization of the virulent bacteriophage phiCTP1 from Clostridium tyrobutyricum and heterologous expression of its endolysinMelinda J Mayer
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:5415-22. 2010..We isolated the virulent bacteriophage phiCTP1 belonging to the Siphoviridae and have shown that it is effective in causing lysis of sensitive strains...
- Induction, structural characterization, and genome sequence of Lv1, a prophage from a human vaginal Lactobacillus jensenii strainRebeca Martín
Microbiology Unit, University Institute of Biotechnology, University of Oviedo, Oviedo, Spain
Int Microbiol 13:113-21. 2010..Lv1 belongs to the family Siphoviridae and, more precisely, to the proposed Sfi21-like genus...
- Complete nucleotide sequence of the temperate bacteriophage LBR48, a new member of the family MyoviridaeSe Hwan Jang
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Anam Dong, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, Korea
Arch Virol 156:319-22. 2011..Analysis of the genome showed the conserved gene order of previously reported phages of the family Siphoviridae from lactic acid bacteria, despite low nucleotide sequence similarity...
- Genome annotation and intraviral interactome for the Streptococcus pneumoniae virulent phage Dp-1Mourad Sabri
Departement de Biochimie, de Microbiologie et Bio Informatiques, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Groupe de Recherche en Ecologie Buccale, Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Felix d Herelle Reference Center for Bacterial Viruses, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
J Bacteriol 193:551-62. 2011..Here, we confirmed that Dp-1 belongs to the family Siphoviridae. Then, we determined its complete genomic sequence of 56,506 bp...
- Metagenomic analysis of the viral communities in fermented foodsEun Jin Park
Department of Life and Nanopharmaceutical Sciences, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130 701, Republic of Korea
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:1284-91. 2011..e., Myoviridae, Podoviridae, and Siphoviridae)...
- N15: the linear phage-plasmidNikolai V Ravin
Centre Bioengineering, Russian Academy of Sciences, Prosp 60 let Oktiabria, bld 7 1, Moscow 117312, Russia
Plasmid 65:102-9. 2011..Two N15-related lambdoid Siphoviridae phages, φKO2 in Klebsiella oxytoca and pY54 in Yersinia enterocolitica, also lysogenize their hosts as linear ..
- T4-Like genome organization of the Escherichia coli O157:H7 lytic phage AR1Wei Chao Liao
Institute of Biomedical Informatics, National Yang Ming University, 155, Sec 2, Linong St, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
J Virol 85:6567-78. 2011..Unlike most of the other sequenced phages of O157:H7, which belong to the temperate Podoviridae and Siphoviridae families, AR1 is a T4-like phage known to efficiently infect this pathogenic bacterial strain...
- Diversity of somatic coliphages in coastal regions with different levels of anthropogenic activity in São Paulo State, BrazilE M Burbano-Rosero
Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas Universidade de São Paulo, Laboratório de Ecologia Microbiana Molecular, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:4208-16. 2011..5%), B1 (50%), C1 (36.4%), and D1 (9.1%). One coliphage, Siphoviridae type T1, had the longest tail: between 939 and 995 nm. In plankton samples, Siphoviridae (65...
- Novel Bacteriophages in Enterococcus sppRamin Mazaheri Nezhad Fard
University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Curr Microbiol 60:400-6. 2010..belong to tailed families of bacteriophages Podoviridae, Siphoviridae, and Myoviridae. There is a little information on non-tailed bacteriophages isolated from enterococci...
- Inactivation of Burkholderia cepacia complex phage KS9 gp41 identifies the phage repressor and generates lytic virionsKarlene H Lynch
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E9, Canada
J Virol 84:1276-88. 2010..Transmission electron micrographs indicate that KS9 belongs to the family Siphoviridae and exhibits the B1 morphotype...
- A group I intron in the terminase gene of Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis phage LL-HM Mikkonen
Department of Genetics, University of Oulu, Finland
Microbiology 141:2183-90. 1995..bacteria and the first one to be found in a phage belonging to the most abundant taxonomic group, group B or Siphoviridae. The LL-H intron interrupts gene terL, the product of which (50...
- Frequency of morphological phage descriptions in the year 2000. Brief reviewH W Ackermann
Felix d Herelle Reference Center for Bacterial Viruses, Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Arch Virol 146:843-57. 2001..Phages are listed by morphotypes and host genera. Siphoviridae or phages with long, noncontractile tails comprise 61% of tailed phages...
- Identification of an inducible bacteriophage in a virulent strain of Streptococcus suis serotype 2J Harel
Groupe de Recherche sur les Maladies Infectieuses du Porc, Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Université de Montréal C P 5000, St Hyacinthe, Quebec J2S 7C6, Canada
Infect Immun 71:6104-8. 2003..Phage Ss1 has a long noncontractile tail and a small isometric nucleocapsid and is a member of the Siphoviridae family. Ss1 phage DNA appears to be present in most Canadian S...
- Complete genome sequence of phiHSIC, a pseudotemperate marine phage of Listonella pelagiaJohn H Paul
College of Marine Science, University of South Florida, 140 7th Ave South, St Petersburg, Florida 33701
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:3311-20. 2005The genome for the marine pseudotemperate member of the Siphoviridae phiHSIC has been sequenced using a combination of linker amplification library construction, restriction digest library construction, and primer walking...
- Isolation and characterization of a virulent Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis bacteriophage and its impact on microbial population in sourdoughR Foschino
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Alimentari e Microbiologiche, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria, Milano 2 20133, Italy
Curr Microbiol 51:413-8. 2005..It belonged to the Siphoviridae family (morphotype B1); its life cycle at 25 degrees C lasted 3 h with a burst size of about 30 viral particles ..
- Insights into structural proteins of 936-type virulent lactococcal bacteriophagesA M Crutz-Le Coq
Laboratoire de Genetique Microbienne, INRA, Jouy en Josas, France
Arch Virol 151:1039-53. 2006..This result questions some of the functional predictions deduced from synteny relationships assumed for the lambda-supergroup of the family Siphoviridae to which the 936-type phages were proposed to belong.
- Isolation, characterization of bacteriophages specific to Microlunatus phosphovorus and their application for rapid host detectionS H Lee
Institute of Environmental Studies, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Lett Appl Microbiol 42:259-64. 2006..To isolate and characterize lytic-bacteriophages specific to Microlunatus phosphovorus, and prepare fluorescently labelled phages (FLPs) for the rapid detection of the host bacterium in activated sludge...
- Anatomy of a lactococcal phage tailStephen Mc Grath
Department of Microbiology, National University of Ireland, Cork, Ireland
J Bacteriol 188:3972-82. 2006Bacteriophages of the Siphoviridae family utilize a long noncontractile tail to recognize, adsorb to, and inject DNA into their bacterial host...
- Diversity of temperate bacteriophages induced in bovine and ovine Mannheimia haemolytica isolates and identification of a new P2-like phageRobert L Davies
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 260:162-70. 2006..glucosida and one (25%) P. trehalosi isolate. The M. haemolytica phages were relatively diverse as seven Siphoviridae, 15 Myoviridae and two Podoviridae-like phages were identified; the Myoviridae-type phages also exhibited ..
- Comparative genomics of lactococcal phages: insight from the complete genome sequence of Lactococcus lactis phage BK5-TF Desiere
Nestle Research Center, Nestec Ltd, Vers chez les Blanc, CH Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Virology 283:240-52. 2001Lactococcus lactis phage BK5-T and Streptococcus thermophilus phage Sfi21, two cos-site temperate Siphoviridae with 40-kb genomes, share an identical genome organization, sequence similarity at the amino acid level over about half of ..
- Comparative phage genomics and the evolution of Siphoviridae: insights from dairy phagesH Brussow
Nestle Research Centre, Nestec Ltd, CH 1000 Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Mol Microbiol 39:213-22. 2001..and TM4-like phages showed a remarkable synteny of their structural genes defining a lambda supergroup within Siphoviridae (Caudovirales with long non-contractile tails)...
- A new phage typing scheme for Proteus mirabilis and Proteus vulgaris strains. 1. Morphological analysisG Sekaninová
Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 39:381-6. 1994..They were classified into the families Myoviridae, Siphoviridae and Podoviridae. From the set, 19 phages had double-stranded DNA and 3 were single-stranded DNA phages.
- Phages infecting Vibrio vulnificus are abundant and diverse in oysters (Crassostrea virginica) collected from the Gulf of MexicoA DePaola
Gulf Coast Seafood Laboratory, U S Food and Drug Administration, Dauphin Island, Alabama 36528, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:346-51. 1998..morphological evidence obtained by transmission electron microscopy, the isolates belonged to the Podoviridae, Styloviridae, and Myoviridae, three families of double-stranded DNA phages...
- The structural gene module in Streptococcus thermophilus bacteriophage phi Sfi11 shows a hierarchy of relatedness to Siphoviridae from a wide range of bacterial hostsS Lucchini
Nestle Research Center, Nestec Ltd, Lausanne, Switzerland
Virology 246:63-73. 1998..group II Streptococcus thermophilus bacteriophage phi Sfi11 was compared to the corresponding region from other Siphoviridae. The analysis revealed a hierarchy of relatedness. phi Sfi11 differed from the temperate S...
- Genomic structure of phage B40-8 of Bacteroides fragilisM Puig
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Barcelona, Spain
Microbiology 145:1661-70. 1999..Like most of the phages infective for B. fragilis, B40-8 belongs to the Siphoviridae family. Its genome has been found to be a double-stranded DNA molecule, of approximately 51...
- Study of the potential relationship between the morphology of infectious somatic coliphages and their persistence in the environmentM Muniesa
Departament de Microbiologia, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 87:402-9. 1999..Myoviridae, followed by Siphoviridae, were the most frequently isolated morphological types in raw sewage, treated sewage and river water collected ..
- Bacteriophage infections in the industrial acetone butanol (AB) fermentation processD T Jones
Department of Microbiology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 2:21-6. 2000..The host strain harbours a large lysogenic phage belonging to the Siphoviridae and the growth rate of the lysogenic strain was found to be slower than the non-lysogenic parent strain and ..
- Seasonal population dynamics and interactions of competing bacteriophages and their host in the rhizosphereK E Ashelford
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3TL, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 66:4193-9. 2000..Conversely, the Siphoviridae phage phi CP6-1 (used to construct the released lysogen) was isolated abundantly from the lysogen-treated ..
- Sequence of the genome of the temperate, serotype-converting, Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteriophage D3A M Kropinski
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
J Bacteriol 182:6066-74. 2000Temperate bacteriophage D3, a member of the virus family Siphoviridae, is responsible for serotype conversion in its host, Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The complete sequence of the double-stranded DNA genome has been determined...
- First complete genome sequence of two Staphylococcus epidermidis bacteriophagesAnu Daniel
Laboratory of Bacterial Pathogenesis and Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Bacteriol 189:2086-100. 2007..epidermidis phages, phiPH15 (PH15) and phiCNPH82 (CNPH82). Both phages belonged to the Siphoviridae family and produced stable lysogens...
- Phage diversity in a methanogenic digesterM O Park
Laboratory of Applied Microbiology, Marine Biotechnology Institute, Kamaishi, Iwate, 026 0001, Japan
Microb Ecol 53:98-103. 2007..A production rate of the PLPs was estimated at least 5.2 x 10(7) PLPs day-1 L-1. TEM and FIGE showed that a variety of phages were produced in the digester, including those affiliated with Siphoviridae, Myoviridae, and Cystoviridae.
- Genome sequence and analysis of a Propionibacterium acnes bacteriophageMark D Farrar
Skin Research Centre, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Bacteriol 189:4161-7. 2007..PA6 possesses an icosahedreal head and long noncontractile tail characteristic of the Siphoviridae. The overall genome organization of PA6 resembled that of the temperate mycobacteriophages, although the genome ..