Genomes and Genes
Alias: Oryza sativa (japonica cultivar-group), Oryza sativa Japonica Group, Oryza sativa japonica, Oryza sativa subsp. japonica, Oryza sativa (japonica culticar-group), Oryza sativa (javanica cultivar-group), Oryza sativa Aromatic Japonica Group, Oryza sativa Temperate Japonica Group, Oryza sativa Tropical Japonica Group, Oryza sativa aromatic cultivar-group, Oryza sativa temperate japonica cultivar-group, Oryza sativa tropical japonica cultivar-group, Oryza sativa var. javanica, Oryza sativa var. javanica Koern.
- Ouyang S, Liu Y, Liu P, Lei G, He S, Ma B, et al. Receptor-like kinase OsSIK1 improves drought and salt stress tolerance in rice (Oryza sativa) plants. Plant J. 2010;62:316-29 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that OsSIK1 plays important roles in salt and drought stress tolerance in rice, through the activation of the antioxidative system. ..
- Huang X, Chao D, Gao J, Zhu M, Shi M, Lin H. A previously unknown zinc finger protein, DST, regulates drought and salt tolerance in rice via stomatal aperture control. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1805-17 pubmed publisher..These findings provide an interesting insight into the mechanism of stomata-regulated abiotic stress tolerance, and an important genetic engineering approach for improving abiotic stress tolerance in crops. ..
- Onda Y, Kumamaru T, Kawagoe Y. ER membrane-localized oxidoreductase Ero1 is required for disulfide bond formation in the rice endosperm. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14156-61 pubmed publisher..Together, we propose that the formation of native disulfide bonds in proglutelins depends on an electron transfer pathway involving OsEro1 and OsPDIL. ..
- Wang M, Wang K, Tang D, Wei C, Li M, Shen Y, et al. The central element protein ZEP1 of the synaptonemal complex regulates the number of crossovers during meiosis in rice. Plant Cell. 2010;22:417-30 pubmed publisher..In addition, ZEP1 is reloaded onto chromosomes in early microspores as the chromosome decondense, suggesting that ZEP1 might have other biological functions during this process. ..
- Yamaji N, Huang C, Nagao S, Yano M, Sato Y, Nagamura Y, et al. A zinc finger transcription factor ART1 regulates multiple genes implicated in aluminum tolerance in rice. Plant Cell. 2009;21:3339-49 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed light on comprehensively understanding how plants detoxify aluminum to survive in an acidic environment. ..
- Yang Z, Lu Q, Wen X, Chen F, Lu C. Functional analysis of the rice rubisco activase promoter in transgenic Arabidopsis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;418:565-70 pubmed publisher..These works provide a useful reference for understanding transcriptional regulation mechanism of the rice Rca gene, and lay a strong foundation for further detection of related cis-elements and trans-factors. ..
- Hong J, Byun M, An K, Yang S, An G, Kim W. OsKu70 is associated with developmental growth and genome stability in rice. Plant Physiol. 2010;152:374-87 pubmed publisher..1% (seven of 63) of G2 mutant anaphase cells displayed one or more chromosomal fusions. These results suggest that OsKu70 is required for the maintenance of chromosome stability and normal developmental growth in rice plants. ..
- Chen Z, Yamaji N, Motoyama R, Nagamura Y, Ma J. Up-regulation of a magnesium transporter gene OsMGT1 is required for conferring aluminum tolerance in rice. Plant Physiol. 2012;159:1624-33 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that OsMGT1 is a transporter for Mg uptake in the roots and that up-regulation of this gene is required for conferring Al tolerance in rice by increasing Mg concentration in the cell. ..
- Kudo T, Makita N, Kojima M, Tokunaga H, Sakakibara H. Cytokinin activity of cis-zeatin and phenotypic alterations induced by overexpression of putative cis-Zeatin-O-glucosyltransferase in rice. Plant Physiol. 2012;160:319-31 pubmed publisher..These results propose that cZ activity has a physiological impact on the growth and development of rice. ..
- Kurusu T, Hamada J, Nokajima H, Kitagawa Y, Kiyoduka M, Takahashi A, et al. Regulation of microbe-associated molecular pattern-induced hypersensitive cell death, phytoalexin production, and defense gene expression by calcineurin B-like protein-interacting protein kinases, OsCIPK14/15, in rice cultured cells. Plant Physiol. 2010;153:678-92 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that OsCIPK14/15 play a crucial role in the microbe-associated molecular pattern-induced defense signaling pathway in rice cultured cells. ..
- Miyadate H, Adachi S, Hiraizumi A, Tezuka K, Nakazawa N, Kawamoto T, et al. OsHMA3, a P1B-type of ATPase affects root-to-shoot cadmium translocation in rice by mediating efflux into vacuoles. New Phytol. 2011;189:190-9 pubmed publisher..This defect results in Cd translocation to the shoots in higher concentrations. These data demonstrate the importance of vacuolar sequestration for Cd accumulation in rice. ..
- Tabuchi H, Zhang Y, Hattori S, Omae M, Shimizu Sato S, Oikawa T, et al. LAX PANICLE2 of rice encodes a novel nuclear protein and regulates the formation of axillary meristems. Plant Cell. 2011;23:3276-87 pubmed publisher..LAX2 encodes a nuclear protein that contains a plant-specific conserved domain and physically interacts with LAX1. We propose that LAX2 is a novel factor that acts together with LAX1 in rice to regulate the process of AM formation. ..
- Yokosho K, Yamaji N, Ma J. An Al-inducible MATE gene is involved in external detoxification of Al in rice. Plant J. 2011;68:1061-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that OsFRDL4 is an Al-induced citrate transporter localized at the plasma membrane of rice root cells and is one of the components of high Al tolerance in rice. ..
- Ito Y, Kimura F, Hirakata K, Tsuda K, Takasugi T, Eiguchi M, et al. Fatty acid elongase is required for shoot development in rice. Plant J. 2011;66:680-8 pubmed publisher..These results show that fatty acid elongase is required for formation of the outermost cell layer, and this layer is indispensable for entire shoot development in rice. ..
- Park J, Yi J, Yoon J, Cho L, Ping J, Jeong H, et al. OsPUB15, an E3 ubiquitin ligase, functions to reduce cellular oxidative stress during seedling establishment. Plant J. 2011;65:194-205 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that PUB15 is a regulator that reduces reactive oxygen species (ROS) stress and cell death. ..
- She K, Kusano H, Koizumi K, Yamakawa H, Hakata M, Imamura T, et al. A novel factor FLOURY ENDOSPERM2 is involved in regulation of rice grain size and starch quality. Plant Cell. 2010;22:3280-94 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of FLO2 enlarged the size of grains significantly. These results suggest that FLO2 plays a pivotal regulatory role in rice grain size and starch quality by affecting storage substance accumulation in the endosperm. ..
- Ishimaru Y, Masuda H, Bashir K, Inoue H, Tsukamoto T, Takahashi M, et al. Rice metal-nicotianamine transporter, OsYSL2, is required for the long-distance transport of iron and manganese. Plant J. 2010;62:379-90 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the altered expression of OsYSL2 changes the localization of Fe, and that OsYSL2 is a critical Fe-nicotianamine transporter important for Fe translocation, especially in the shoots and endosperm. ..
- Kusumi K, Sakata C, Nakamura T, Kawasaki S, Yoshimura A, Iba K. A plastid protein NUS1 is essential for build-up of the genetic system for early chloroplast development under cold stress conditions. Plant J. 2011;68:1039-50 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that NUS1 is involved in the regulation of chloroplast RNA metabolism and promotes the establishment of the plastid genetic system during early chloroplast development under cold stress conditions. ..
- Tsuda K, Ito Y, Sato Y, Kurata N. Positive autoregulation of a KNOX gene is essential for shoot apical meristem maintenance in rice. Plant Cell. 2011;23:4368-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, the maintenance of the indeterminate state mediated by positive autoregulation of a KNOX gene is an indispensable mechanism of self-maintenance of the SAM. ..
- Zhang W, Zhou X, Wen C. Modulation of ethylene responses by OsRTH1 overexpression reveals the biological significance of ethylene in rice seedling growth and development. J Exp Bot. 2012;63:4151-64 pubmed publisher..The possible roles of auxins and gibberellins in the ethylene-induced alterations in growth were evaluated and the biological significance of ethylene in the early stage of rice seedling growth is discussed. ..
- Yuan M, Chu Z, Li X, Xu C, Wang S. The bacterial pathogen Xanthomonas oryzae overcomes rice defenses by regulating host copper redistribution. Plant Cell. 2010;22:3164-76 pubmed publisher..The involvement of XA13 in copper redistribution has led us to propose a mechanism of bacterial virulence...
- Huang C, Yamaji N, Chen Z, Ma J. A tonoplast-localized half-size ABC transporter is required for internal detoxification of aluminum in rice. Plant J. 2012;69:857-67 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that OsALS1 localized at the tonoplast is responsible for sequestration of Al into the vacuoles, which is required for internal detoxification of Al in rice...
- Liu F, Wang Z, Ren H, Shen C, Li Y, Ling H, et al. OsSPX1 suppresses the function of OsPHR2 in the regulation of expression of OsPT2 and phosphate homeostasis in shoots of rice. Plant J. 2010;62:508-17 pubmed publisher..This finding provides new insight into the regulatory mechanism of Pi uptake, translocation, allocation and homeostasis in plants. ..
- Lin H, Wang R, Qian Q, Yan M, Meng X, Fu Z, et al. DWARF27, an iron-containing protein required for the biosynthesis of strigolactones, regulates rice tiller bud outgrowth. Plant Cell. 2009;21:1512-25 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that D27 is involved in the MAX/RMS/D pathway, in which D27 acts as a new member participating in the biosynthesis of strigolactones...
- Niu B, He F, He M, Ren D, Chen L, Liu Y. The ATP-binding cassette transporter OsABCG15 is required for anther development and pollen fertility in rice. J Integr Plant Biol. 2013;55:710-20 pubmed publisher..This work is helpful to understand the regulatory network in rice anther development. ..
- Matsubara K, Yamanouchi U, Nonoue Y, Sugimoto K, Wang Z, Minobe Y, et al. Ehd3, encoding a plant homeodomain finger-containing protein, is a critical promoter of rice flowering. Plant J. 2011;66:603-12 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the PHD-finger gene Ehd3 acts as a promoter in the unique genetic pathway responsible for photoperiodic flowering in rice. ..
- Huang X, Qian Q, Liu Z, Sun H, He S, Luo D, et al. Natural variation at the DEP1 locus enhances grain yield in rice. Nat Genet. 2009;41:494-7 pubmed publisher..We also show that a functionally equivalent allele is present in the temperate cereals and seems to have arisen before the divergence of the wheat and barley lineages...
- Kimura S, Tahira Y, Ishibashi T, Mori Y, Mori T, Hashimoto J, et al. DNA repair in higher plants; photoreactivation is the major DNA repair pathway in non-proliferating cells while excision repair (nucleotide excision repair and base excision repair) is active in proliferating cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:2760-7 pubmed..These results suggested that photoreactivation is the major DNA repair pathway for the major UV-induced damage in non-proliferating cells, while both photoreactivation and excision repair are active in proliferating cells. ..
- Wang L, Xu Y, Zhang C, Ma Q, Joo S, Kim S, et al. OsLIC, a Novel CCCH-Type Zinc Finger Protein with Transcription Activation, Mediates Rice Architecture via Brassinosteroids Signaling. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3521 pubmed publisher..It contains a novel conserved EELR domain among eukaryotes and displays transcriptional activation activity in yeast. OsLIC may be a transcription activator to control rice plant architecture. ..
- Bashir K, Inoue H, Nagasaka S, Takahashi M, Nakanishi H, Mori S, et al. Cloning and characterization of deoxymugineic acid synthase genes from graminaceous plants. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:32395-402 pubmed publisher..In shoot tissue, OsDMAS1 promoter drove expression in vascular bundles specifically under iron-deficient conditions...
- Kaku H, Nishizawa Y, Ishii Minami N, Akimoto Tomiyama C, Dohmae N, Takio K, et al. Plant cells recognize chitin fragments for defense signaling through a plasma membrane receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11086-91 pubmed
- Sakamoto T, Sakakibara H, Kojima M, Yamamoto Y, Nagasaki H, Inukai Y, et al. Ectopic expression of KNOTTED1-like homeobox protein induces expression of cytokinin biosynthesis genes in rice. Plant Physiol. 2006;142:54-62 pubmed
- Huang C, Yamaji N, Mitani N, Yano M, Nagamura Y, Ma J. A bacterial-type ABC transporter is involved in aluminum tolerance in rice. Plant Cell. 2009;21:655-67 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that STAR1 and STAR2 form a complex that functions as an ABC transporter, which is required for detoxification of Al in rice. The ABC transporter transports UDP-glucose, which may be used to modify the cell wall...
- Okada A, Shimizu T, Okada K, Kuzuyama T, Koga J, Shibuya N, et al. Elicitor induced activation of the methylerythritol phosphate pathway toward phytoalexins biosynthesis in rice. Plant Mol Biol. 2007;65:177-87 pubmed..These results suggest that activation of the MEP pathway is required to supply sufficient terpenoid precursors for the production of phytoalexins in infected rice plants...
- Aoyama T, Kobayashi T, Takahashi M, Nagasaka S, Usuda K, Kakei Y, et al. OsYSL18 is a rice iron(III)-deoxymugineic acid transporter specifically expressed in reproductive organs and phloem of lamina joints. Plant Mol Biol. 2009;70:681-92 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that OsYSL18 is an iron-phytosiderophore transporter involved in the translocation of iron in reproductive organs and phloem in joints. ..
- Saotome A, Kimura S, Mori Y, Uchiyama Y, Morohashi K, Sakaguchi K. Characterization of four RecQ homologues from rice (Oryza sativa L. cv. Nipponbare). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;345:1283-91 pubmed
- Jun S, Han M, Lee S, Seo Y, Kim W, An G. OsEIN2 is a positive component in ethylene signaling in rice. Plant Cell Physiol. 2004;45:281-9 pubmed..5 times more ethylene than the wild-type plants. Expression analysis of rice ACS and ACO genes showed that the transcript levels of OsACS1 and OsACO1 were elevated in the transgenic plants. ..
- Inoue H, Kobayashi T, Nozoye T, Takahashi M, Kakei Y, Suzuki K, et al. Rice OsYSL15 is an iron-regulated iron(III)-deoxymugineic acid transporter expressed in the roots and is essential for iron uptake in early growth of the seedlings. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3470-9 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that rice OsYSL15 plays a crucial role in iron homeostasis during the early stages of growth. ..
- Kim K, Lee J, Han H, Choi S, Go S, Yoon I. Isolation and characterization of a novel rice Ca2+-regulated protein kinase gene involved in responses to diverse signals including cold, light, cytokinins, sugars and salts. Plant Mol Biol. 2003;52:1191-202 pubmed..These findings suggest that the CBL/CIPK or SCaBP/PKS signaling pathways recently found in Arabidopsis may also exist in rice and function in cold response in which calcium signal serves as a second messenger. ..
- Xiao H, Tang J, Li Y, Wang W, Li X, Jin L, et al. STAMENLESS 1, encoding a single C2H2 zinc finger protein, regulates floral organ identity in rice. Plant J. 2009;59:789-801 pubmed publisher..The functional divergence between SL1 and JAG implies that SL1 was co-opted for its distinctive roles in specification of floral organ identity in rice after the lineage split from Arabidopsis. ..
- Ogo Y, Kobayashi T, Nakanishi Itai R, Nakanishi H, Kakei Y, Takahashi M, et al. A novel NAC transcription factor, IDEF2, that recognizes the iron deficiency-responsive element 2 regulates the genes involved in iron homeostasis in plants. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:13407-17 pubmed publisher..IDEF2 bound to OsYSL2 promoter region containing the binding core site, suggesting direct regulation of OsYSL2 expression. These results reveal novel cis-element/trans-factor interactions functionally associated with iron homeostasis. ..
- Lam S, Siu C, Hillmer S, Jang S, An G, Robinson D, et al. Rice SCAMP1 defines clathrin-coated, trans-golgi-located tubular-vesicular structures as an early endosome in tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant Cell. 2007;19:296-319 pubmed..These early endosomal compartments resemble the previously described partially coated reticulum and trans-Golgi network in plant cells. ..
- Mao C, Wang S, Jia Q, Wu P. OsEIL1, a rice homolog of the Arabidopsis EIN3 regulates the ethylene response as a positive component. Plant Mol Biol. 2006;61:141-52 pubmed..These results indicate that OsEIL1 is involved in ethylene signal transduction pathway and acts as a positive regulator of ethylene response in rice. ..
- Inukai Y, Sakamoto T, Ueguchi Tanaka M, Shibata Y, Gomi K, Umemura I, et al. Crown rootless1, which is essential for crown root formation in rice, is a target of an AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR in auxin signaling. Plant Cell. 2005;17:1387-96 pubmed..We conclude that Crl1 encodes a positive regulator for crown and lateral root formation and that its expression is directly regulated by an ARF in the auxin signaling pathway. ..
- Kobayashi T, Suzuki M, Inoue H, Itai R, Takahashi M, Nakanishi H, et al. Expression of iron-acquisition-related genes in iron-deficient rice is co-ordinately induced by partially conserved iron-deficiency-responsive elements. J Exp Bot. 2005;56:1305-16 pubmed..These results suggest that rice genes involved in iron acquisition are co-ordinately regulated by conserved mechanisms in response to iron deficiency, in which IDE-mediated regulation plays a significant role. ..
- Otomo K, Kenmoku H, Oikawa H, König W, Toshima H, Mitsuhashi W, et al. Biological functions of ent- and syn-copalyl diphosphate synthases in rice: key enzymes for the branch point of gibberellin and phytoalexin biosynthesis. Plant J. 2004;39:886-93 pubmed..Our results strongly suggest the presence of two ent-CDP synthase isoforms in rice, one that participates in the biosynthesis of GAs and a second that is involved in the biosynthesis of phytoalexins. ..
- Otomo K, Kanno Y, Motegi A, Kenmoku H, Yamane H, Mitsuhashi W, et al. Diterpene cyclases responsible for the biosynthesis of phytoalexins, momilactones A, B, and oryzalexins A-F in rice. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2004;68:2001-6 pubmed..These two genes might prove powerful tools for understanding plant defense mechanisms in rice. ..
- Suzuki M, Takahashi M, Tsukamoto T, Watanabe S, Matsuhashi S, Yazaki J, et al. Biosynthesis and secretion of mugineic acid family phytosiderophores in zinc-deficient barley. Plant J. 2006;48:85-97 pubmed..These data suggest that the increased biosynthesis and secretion of MAs arising from a shortage of Zn are not due to an induced Fe deficiency, and that secreted MAs are effective in absorbing Zn from the soil. ..
- Wang K, Tang D, Wang M, Lu J, Yu H, Liu J, et al. MER3 is required for normal meiotic crossover formation, but not for presynaptic alignment in rice. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2055-63 pubmed publisher..The normal loading of PAIR2 and REC8 in mer3 implies that their loading is independent of MER3. On the contrary, the absence of MER3 signal in pair2 mutants indicates that PAIR2 is essential for the loading and further function of MER3. ..
- Yokosho K, Yamaji N, Ueno D, Mitani N, Ma J. OsFRDL1 is a citrate transporter required for efficient translocation of iron in rice. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:297-305 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that OsFRDL1 is a citrate transporter localized at the pericycle cells, which is necessary for efficient translocation of Fe to the shoot as a Fe-citrate complex. ..
- Sakamoto T, Morinaka Y, Ohnishi T, Sunohara H, Fujioka S, Ueguchi Tanaka M, et al. Erect leaves caused by brassinosteroid deficiency increase biomass production and grain yield in rice. Nat Biotechnol. 2006;24:105-9 pubmed..These results suggest that regulated genetic modulation of brassinosteroid biosynthesis can improve crops without the negative environmental effects of fertilizers. ..
- Koiwai H, Tagiri A, Katoh S, Katoh E, Ichikawa H, Minami E, et al. RING-H2 type ubiquitin ligase EL5 is involved in root development through the maintenance of cell viability in rice. Plant J. 2007;51:92-104 pubmed..In addition, we propose that EL5 is an unstable protein, of which degradation is regulated by the RFD in a proteasome-independent manner. ..
- Zhang L, Tao J, Wang S, Chong K, Wang T. The rice OsRad21-4, an orthologue of yeast Rec8 protein, is required for efficient meiosis. Plant Mol Biol. 2006;60:533-54 pubmed..These defects resulted in unequal chromosome segregation and aberrant spore generation. These observations suggest that OsRad21-4 is essential for efficient meiosis. ..
- Hwang Y, Bethke P, Cheong Y, Chang H, Zhu T, Jones R. A gibberellin-regulated calcineurin B in rice localizes to the tonoplast and is implicated in vacuole function. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:1347-58 pubmed..Data from experiments using antisense expression of OsCBL2 and HvCBL2 are consistent with a role for OsCBL2 in promoting vacuolation of barley aleurone cells following treatment with GA. ..
- Ashikari M, Sakakibara H, Lin S, Yamamoto T, Takashi T, Nishimura A, et al. Cytokinin oxidase regulates rice grain production. Science. 2005;309:741-5 pubmed..QTL pyramiding to combine loci for grain number and plant height in the same genetic background generated lines exhibiting both beneficial traits. These results provide a strategy for tailormade crop improvement. ..
- Tao J, Zhang L, Chong K, Wang T. OsRAD21-3, an orthologue of yeast RAD21, is required for pollen development in Oryza sativa. Plant J. 2007;51:919-30 pubmed
- Nakamura Y, Francisco P, Hosaka Y, Sato A, Sawada T, Kubo A, et al. Essential amino acids of starch synthase IIa differentiate amylopectin structure and starch quality between japonica and indica rice varieties. Plant Mol Biol. 2005;58:213-27 pubmed
- Ueguchi Tanaka M, Ashikari M, Nakajima M, Itoh H, Katoh E, Kobayashi M, et al. GIBBERELLIN INSENSITIVE DWARF1 encodes a soluble receptor for gibberellin. Nature. 2005;437:693-8 pubmed..GID1 overexpression resulted in a GA-hypersensitive phenotype. Together, our results indicate that GID1 is a soluble receptor mediating GA signalling in rice. ..
- Zhu Y, Nomura T, Xu Y, Zhang Y, Peng Y, Mao B, et al. ELONGATED UPPERMOST INTERNODE encodes a cytochrome P450 monooxygenase that epoxidizes gibberellins in a novel deactivation reaction in rice. Plant Cell. 2006;18:442-56 pubmed..The identification of Eui as a GA catabolism gene provides additional evidence that the GA metabolism pathway is a useful target for increasing the agronomic value of crops. ..
- Nonomura K, Nakano M, Eiguchi M, Suzuki T, Kurata N. PAIR2 is essential for homologous chromosome synapsis in rice meiosis I. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:217-25 pubmed..However, PAIR2 does not play a role in AE formation, sister chromatid cohesion at centromeres or kinetochore assembly in meiosis I of rice. ..
- Hirose N, Makita N, Yamaya T, Sakakibara H. Functional characterization and expression analysis of a gene, OsENT2, encoding an equilibrative nucleoside transporter in rice suggest a function in cytokinin transport. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:196-206 pubmed
- Ishimaru Y, Suzuki M, Tsukamoto T, Suzuki K, Nakazono M, Kobayashi T, et al. Rice plants take up iron as an Fe3+-phytosiderophore and as Fe2+. Plant J. 2006;45:335-46 pubmed..This result indicates that, in addition to absorbing an Fe3+-phytosiderophore, rice possesses a novel Fe-uptake system that directly absorbs the Fe2+, a strategy that is advantageous for growth in submerged conditions. ..
- Morinaka Y, Sakamoto T, Inukai Y, Agetsuma M, Kitano H, Ashikari M, et al. Morphological alteration caused by brassinosteroid insensitivity increases the biomass and grain production of rice. Plant Physiol. 2006;141:924-31 pubmed..These results demonstrate the feasibility of generating erect-leaf plants by modifying the expression of the brassinosteroid receptor gene in transgenic rice plants. ..
- Tanabe S, Ashikari M, Fujioka S, Takatsuto S, Yoshida S, Yano M, et al. A novel cytochrome P450 is implicated in brassinosteroid biosynthesis via the characterization of a rice dwarf mutant, dwarf11, with reduced seed length. Plant Cell. 2005;17:776-90 pubmed..Multiple lines of evidence together suggest that the D11/CYP724B1 gene plays a role in BR synthesis and may be involved in the supply of 6-DeoxoTY and TY in the BR biosynthesis network in rice. ..
- Ogo Y, Itai R, Nakanishi H, Inoue H, Kobayashi T, Suzuki M, et al. Isolation and characterization of IRO2, a novel iron-regulated bHLH transcription factor in graminaceous plants. J Exp Bot. 2006;57:2867-78 pubmed..These results suggest that IRO2 is involved in the regulation of gene expression under Fe-deficient conditions. ..
- Peres A, Churchman M, Hariharan S, Himanen K, Verkest A, Vandepoele K, et al. Novel plant-specific cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors induced by biotic and abiotic stresses. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:25588-96 pubmed..Orysa;EL2 mRNA levels were induced by cold, drought, and propionic acid. Our data suggest that Orysa;EL2 encodes a new type of plant CDK inhibitor that links cell cycle progression with biotic and abiotic stress responses. ..
- Fujita N, Yoshida M, Kondo T, Saito K, Utsumi Y, Tokunaga T, et al. Characterization of SSIIIa-deficient mutants of rice: the function of SSIIIa and pleiotropic effects by SSIIIa deficiency in the rice endosperm. Plant Physiol. 2007;144:2009-23 pubmed
- Kobayashi T, Ogo Y, Itai R, Nakanishi H, Takahashi M, Mori S, et al. The transcription factor IDEF1 regulates the response to and tolerance of iron deficiency in plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19150-5 pubmed..Manipulation of IDEF1 also provides another approach for producing crops tolerant of iron deficiency to enhance food and biomass production in calcareous soils. ..
- Inoue H, Takahashi M, Kobayashi T, Suzuki M, Nakanishi H, Mori S, et al. Identification and localisation of the rice nicotianamine aminotransferase gene OsNAAT1 expression suggests the site of phytosiderophore synthesis in rice. Plant Mol Biol. 2008;66:193-203 pubmed..These findings strongly suggest that rice synthesizes MAs in whole Fe-deficient roots to acquire Fe from the rhizosphere, and also in phloem cells to maintain metal homeostasis facilitated by MAs-mediated long-distance transport. ..
- Tabuchi M, Abiko T, Yamaya T. Assimilation of ammonium ions and reutilization of nitrogen in rice (Oryza sativa L.). J Exp Bot. 2007;58:2319-27 pubmed..The overall process of nitrogen utilization within the plant is discussed. ..
- Saika H, Okamoto M, Miyoshi K, Kushiro T, Shinoda S, Jikumaru Y, et al. Ethylene promotes submergence-induced expression of OsABA8ox1, a gene that encodes ABA 8'-hydroxylase in rice. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:287-98 pubmed
- Martinez Atienza J, Jiang X, Garciadeblas B, Mendoza I, Zhu J, Pardo J, et al. Conservation of the salt overly sensitive pathway in rice. Plant Physiol. 2007;143:1001-12 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the SOS salt tolerance pathway operates in cereals and evidences a high degree of structural conservation among the SOS proteins from dicots and monocots. ..
- Zou J, Zhang S, Zhang W, Li G, Chen Z, Zhai W, et al. The rice HIGH-TILLERING DWARF1 encoding an ortholog of Arabidopsis MAX3 is required for negative regulation of the outgrowth of axillary buds. Plant J. 2006;48:687-98 pubmed..Characterization of MAX genes in Arabidopsis, and identification of their orthologs in pea, petunia and rice indicates the existence of a conserved mechanism for shoot-branching regulation in both monocots and dicots. ..
- Nanjo Y, Oka H, Ikarashi N, Kaneko K, Kitajima A, Mitsui T, et al. Rice plastidial N-glycosylated nucleotide pyrophosphatase/phosphodiesterase is transported from the ER-golgi to the chloroplast through the secretory pathway. Plant Cell. 2006;18:2582-92 pubmed..Collectively, these data demonstrate the trafficking of glycosylated proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum-Golgi system to the chloroplast in higher plants. ..
- Li X, Duan X, Jiang H, Sun Y, Tang Y, Yuan Z, et al. Genome-wide analysis of basic/helix-loop-helix transcription factor family in rice and Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2006;141:1167-84 pubmed..In addition, similar expression patterns suggest functional conservation between some rice bHLH genes and their close Arabidopsis homologs. ..
- Duan K, Li L, Hu P, Xu S, Xu Z, Xue H. A brassinolide-suppressed rice MADS-box transcription factor, OsMDP1, has a negative regulatory role in BR signaling. Plant J. 2006;47:519-31 pubmed
- Jung K, Han M, Lee D, Lee Y, Schreiber L, Franke R, et al. Wax-deficient anther1 is involved in cuticle and wax production in rice anther walls and is required for pollen development. Plant Cell. 2006;18:3015-32 pubmed..Our findings provide new insights into the biochemical and developmental aspects of the role of waxes in microspore exine development in the tapetum as well as the role of epicuticular waxes in anther expansion. ..
- Zhang H, Li J, Yoo J, Yoo S, Cho S, Koh H, et al. Rice Chlorina-1 and Chlorina-9 encode ChlD and ChlI subunits of Mg-chelatase, a key enzyme for chlorophyll synthesis and chloroplast development. Plant Mol Biol. 2006;62:325-37 pubmed..This result indicates that the ChlD subunit participates in negative feedback regulation of plastid-to-nucleus in the expression of nuclear genes encoding chloroplast proteins, but not the ChlI subunit. ..
- Nonomura K, Morohoshi A, Nakano M, Eiguchi M, Miyao A, Hirochika H, et al. A germ cell specific gene of the ARGONAUTE family is essential for the progression of premeiotic mitosis and meiosis during sporogenesis in rice. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2583-94 pubmed
- Koike S, Inoue H, Mizuno D, Takahashi M, Nakanishi H, Mori S, et al. OsYSL2 is a rice metal-nicotianamine transporter that is regulated by iron and expressed in the phloem. Plant J. 2004;39:415-24 pubmed..These results suggest that OsYSL2 is a rice metal-NA transporter that is responsible for the phloem transport of iron and manganese, including the translocation of iron and manganese into the grain. ..
- Ge L, Chen H, Jiang J, Zhao Y, Xu M, Xu Y, et al. Overexpression of OsRAA1 causes pleiotropic phenotypes in transgenic rice plants, including altered leaf, flower, and root development and root response to gravity. Plant Physiol. 2004;135:1502-13 pubmed..A positive feedback regulation mechanism of OsRAA1 to indole-3-acetic acid metabolism may be involved in rice root development in nature. ..
- Murakami M, Ashikari M, Miura K, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. The evolutionarily conserved OsPRR quintet: rice pseudo-response regulators implicated in circadian rhythm. Plant Cell Physiol. 2003;44:1229-36 pubmed..thaliana. These and other results of this study suggested that the OsPRR quintet, including the ortholog of APRR1/TOC1, might play important roles within, or close to, the circadian clock of rice. ..