Alias: Alcimandra, Aromadendron
Publications157 found, 100 shown here
- [Inhibitory effects of natural plant extracts on Verticillium albo-atrum]Shuhong Zhang
College of Horticulture, Shenyang Agricultural University, Shenyang 110161, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 17:1137-40. 2006..with an inhibitory rate more than 50%, among which, the inhibitory rate of Asarum sieboldii, Coptis chinensis, Magnolia officinalis, Acacia catechu, Sophora flavescens, Glycyrrhiza uralensis, Cnidium monnieri, Platycodon grandiflorum ..
- The role of natural products in the discovery of new drug candidates for the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders II: Alzheimer's diseaseMiguel Divino da Rocha
LFQM Laboratório de Fitoquímica e Química Medicinal, Instituto de Ciencias Exatas, Universidade Federal de Alfenas UNIFAL MG, 37130 000, Alfenas, MG, Brazil
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 10:251-70. 2011..Centella asiatica, Curcuma longa, Ginkgo biloba, Huperzia serrata, Lycoris radiate, Galanthus nivalis, Magnolia officinalis, Polygala tenuifolia, Salvia lavandulaefolia, Salvia miltiorrhiza, Coptis chinensis, Crocus sativus, ..
- Honokiol and magnolol increase the number of [3H] muscimol binding sites three-fold in rat forebrain membranes in vitro using a filtration assay, by allosterically increasing the affinities of low-affinity sitesR F Squires
Center for Neurochemistry, The Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Neurochem Res 24:1593-602. 19991. The bark of the root and stem of various Magnolia species has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to treat a variety of disorders including anxiety and nervous disturbances...
- Formulations of dietary supplements and herbal extracts for relaxation and anxiolytic action: RelarianBenjamin S Weeks
Department of Biology, Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530, USA
Med Sci Monit 15:RA256-62. 2009..Further, extracts of Magnolia and Phellondendron bark are mild sedatives...
- Mapping urban forest tree species using IKONOS imagery: preliminary resultsRuiliang Pu
Department of Geography, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, 33620, USA
Environ Monit Assess 172:199-214. 2011..consist of sand live oak (Quercus geminata), laurel oak (Quercus laurifolia), live oak (Quercus virginiana), magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora), pine (species group), palm (species group), camphor (Cinnamomum camphora), and red maple (..
- Effect of wood hardness and secondary compounds on feeding preference of Odontotermes formosanus (Isoptera: Termitidae)Boris Dodji Kasseney
Ministry of Agriculture Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology of Crop Pathogens and Insects, Institute of Insect Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310029, China
J Econ Entomol 104:862-7. 2011..Feeding preference was influenced by wood species and bait type. For solid wood, Magnolia denudata Desr (75%) and Elaeocarpus glabripetalus Merr (41%) were most preferred; for crude flour, E...
- [Application of dannang recipe no. 2 in the perioperative stage of laparoscopic cholecystectomy]Lin Xu
General Surgery Department, Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital of Xiamen City, Fujian
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 28:1090-2. 2008..To explore the significance of application of Dannang Recipe No. 2 (DNR2), a Chinese herbal preparation, in the perioperative period of laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC)...
- Expression of floral MADS-box genes in basal angiosperms: implications for the evolution of floral regulatorsSangtae Kim
Department of Botany, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Plant J 43:724-44. 2005..and Illicium (Austrobaileyales), the successive sister groups to all other extant angiosperms, plus Magnolia and Asimina, members of the large magnoliid clade...
- Phytophthora morindae, a new species causing black flag disease on noni (Morinda citrifolia L) in HawaiiScot C Nelson
University of Hawaii at Manoa, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Department of Plant and Environmental Protection Sciences, Cooperative Extension Service, 875 Komohana Street, Hilo, Hawaii 96720, USA
Mycologia 102:122-34. 2010..lesions on forest trees (beech, Fagus sylvatica) and foliar necrosis of ornamentals (rhododendron, pieris and magnolia) in the UK, and isolated in New Zealand from necrotic cherimoya shoots and fruits and soil...
- Effects of food and gender on the pharmacokinetics of rhein and emodin in rats after oral dosing with Da-Cheng-Qi decoctionHanLin Gong
Department of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, People s Republic of China
Phytother Res 25:74-80. 2011..used to treat digestive diseases, is composed of dahuang (Rheum officinale Baill, Polygonaceae), houpu (Magnolia officinalis Rehd., Magnoliaceae), zhishi (Citrus aurantium L, Rutaceae) and mangxiao (sodium sulphate)...
- Annual and seasonal variation in the phyllosphere bacterial community associated with leaves of the southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora)Colin R Jackson
Department of Biology, Shoemaker Hall, The University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677, USA
Microb Ecol 61:113-22. 2011..We sampled replicate leaves from a single magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) tree in the winter of three consecutive years (2007-2009) as well as during four seasons ..
- KIOM-79 inhibits LPS-induced iNOS gene expression by blocking NF-kappaB/Rel and p38 kinase activation in murine macrophagesYoung Jin Jeon
College of Medicine, Chosun University, 375 Susukdong, Kwangju 501 709, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 108:38-45. 2006We demonstrate that KIOM-79, combined extracts obtained from Magnolia officinalis, Pueraria lobata, Glycyrrhiza uralensis, and Euphorbia pekinensis, inhibits LPS-induced expression of iNOS gene in RAW 264.7 cells. Treatment of RAW 264...
- KIOM-79 inhibits high glucose or AGEs-induced VEGF expression in human retinal pigment epithelial cellsYoung Sook Kim
Department of Herbal Pharmaceutical Development, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, 461 24 Jeonmin dong, Yuseng gu, Daejeon 305 811, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 112:166-72. 2007We evaluated whether KIOM-79, a mixture of extracts obtained from Puerariae lobata, Magnolia officinalis, Glycyrrhiza uralensis and Euphorbia pekinensis, could inhibit vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in human retinal ..
- Effect of a sugar-free chewing gum containing magnolia bark extract on different variables related to caries and gingivitis: a randomized controlled intervention trialG Campus
Dental Institutet, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Caries Res 45:393-9. 2011The effect of magnolia bark extract (MBE) on different variables related to caries and gingivitis administered daily through a sugar-free chewing gum was evaluated...
- Interactions of Magnolia and Ziziphus extracts with selected central nervous system receptorsUwe Koetter
Dr Koetter Consulting, Kirchhalde 19, Uttwil 8592, Switzerland
J Ethnopharmacol 124:421-5. 2009b>Magnolia officinalis Rehder and Wilson [Magnoliaceae] bark and Ziziphus spinosa (Buhge) Hu ex. Chen. [Fam. Rhamnaceae] seed have a history of use in traditional Asian medicine for mild anxiety, nervousness and sleep-related problems.
- Dibenzocyclooctadiene lignans from Magnolia and Talauma (Magnoliaceae): their absolute configuration ascertained by circular dichroism and X-ray crystallography and re-evaluation of previously published pyramidatin structuresWolfgang Schühly
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Phytochemistry 71:1787-95. 2010..with Machilin G, were isolated from the dichloromethane extracts of aerial material of Talauma gloriensis, Magnolia fraseri, and Magnolia pyramidata (Magnoliaceae)...
- The sequence of the largest subunit of RNA polymerase II is a useful marker for inferring seed plant phylogenyJennifer Nickerson
Departement de Biologie, Université d Ottawa, 30 Marie Curie, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1N 6N5
Mol Phylogenet Evol 31:403-15. 2004..angiosperms are a clade comprising Amborella as a sister group to all other angiosperms, followed by Nymphaea, Magnolia, Arabidopsis, and a monocot clade containing maize and rice...
- A pilot study of banxia houpu tang, a traditional Chinese medicine, for reducing pneumonia risk in older adults with dementiaKoh Iwasaki
Center for Asian Traditional Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:2035-40. 2007To evaluate whether the traditional Chinese herbal medicine banxia houpu tang (BHT, formula magnolia et pinelliae) prevents aspiration pneumonia and pneumonia-related mortality in elderly people.
- Multiform biosynthetic pathway of syringyl lignin in angiospermsKazuchika Yamauchi
Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Planta 216:496-501. 2003..oleander ( Nerium indicum Mill.), magnolia ( Magnolia kobus DC.) and Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh...
- Compressed mints and chewing gum containing magnolia bark extract are effective against bacteria responsible for oral malodorMichael Greenberg
Wm Wrigley Jr Company, 1132 West Blackhawk Street, Chicago, Illinois 60622, USA
J Agric Food Chem 55:9465-9. 2007..In this study, magnolia bark extract (MBE) and its two main components, magnolol and honokiol, were evaluated by the minimum inhibition ..
- Antiallergic action of Magnolia officinalis on immediate hypersensitivity reactionT Y Shin
College of Pharmacy, Woosuk University, Chonju, Chonbuk, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 24:249-55. 2001We studied the effect of aqueous extract of Magnolia officinalis bark (Magnoliaceae) (MOAE) on the immediate hypersensitivity reaction. MOAE (0.01 to 1 g/kg) dose-dependently inhibited compound 48/80 induced systemic anaphylaxis in rats...
- Intraspecific sequence variation of chloroplast DNA among the component species of deciduous broad-leaved forests in JapanTakaya Iwasaki
Makino Herbarium, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1 1 Minami Osawa, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
J Plant Res 119:539-52. 2006..00083), C. laxiflora (pi=0.00221), Magnolia obovata (pi=0.00134), Lindera triloba (pi=0.00255), L. obtusiloba (pi=0.00289), Pourthiaea villosa var...
- [Repellent and antifeedant effect of secondary metabolites of non-host plants on Plutella xylostella]Hui Wei
Institute of Plant Protection, Fujian Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Fuzhou 350013, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 15:473-6. 2004..Exts) of Bauhinia variegata, Eucalyptus tereticornis, Euphorbia hirta, Duranta repens, Zanthoxylum bungeanum, Magnolia grandiflora, and Nicotiana tabacum were applied respectively, the oviposition repellent rates were all over 80...
- The use of long-chain plant polyprenols as a means to modify the biological properties of new biodegradable polyurethane scaffolds for tissue engineering. A pilot studyKrystyna Walinska
Department of Biology, Institute of Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences, University of Zielona Gora, ul prof Z Szafrana 1, Zielona Gora 65 516, Poland
J Mater Sci Mater Med 19:129-35. 2008..The polyprenol was isolated from leaves of Magnolia cobus and was a mixture of prenol-10 and prenol-11...
- Induction of heme oxygenase-1 by plant extract KIOM-79 via Akt pathway and NF-E2 related factor 2 in pancreatic beta-cellsKyoung Ah Kang
College of Medicine, Cheju National University, Jeju Si, Korea
J Toxicol Environ Health A 71:1392-9. 2008..A mixture of plant extracts (KIOM-79) was obtained from Magnolia officinalis, Pueraria lobata, Glycyrrhiza uralensis, and Euphorbia pekinensis...
- Evaluation of sticky ovitraps for the surveillance of Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Skuse) and the screening of oviposition attractants from organic infusionsL Y Zhang
Institute of Insect Resources, Huazhong Agricultural University, 1 Shizishan Road, Hongshang District, Wuhan, 430070, China
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:399-407. 2008..for infusions made from the leaves of the camphorwood tree, box, green bristle grass, Bermuda grass, lotus magnolia or bamboo. In terms of the attractancy of the sticky ovitraps to female Ae...
- The outer integument and funicular outgrowth complex in the ovule of Magnolia grandiflora (Magnoliaceae)Toshihiro Yamada
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Plant Res 116:189-98. 2003The development of the outer integument and funicular outgrowth in the ovule of Magnolia grandiflora was examined by microtomy and scanning electron microscopy to reveal the morphology and evolution of the outer integument, a novel ..
- Antidepressant-like effects of the mixture of honokiol and magnolol from the barks of Magnolia officinalis in stressed rodentsQun Xu
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Institute of Functional Biomolecules, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:715-25. 2008Honokiol and magnolol are the main constituents simultaneously identified in the barks of Magnolia officinalis, which have been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat a variety of mental disorders including depression...
- [Volatile oil of Magnolia biondii inhibits expressions of P-selectin protein in serum and renal tissue of rats with diabetic nephropathy]Xue Peng Sun
Department of Nephrology, The 6th People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200233, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 6:524-9. 2008To investigate the protection mechanism of volatile oil of Magnolia biondii Pamp...
- Magnolol protects against cerebral ischaemic injury of rat heatstrokeC P Chang
Institute of Physiology, National Yang Ming University, School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 30:387-92. 20031. Free radicals mediate cerebral ischaemic injury associated with heatstroke. Magnolol, an active component of Magnolia officinalis, is 1000-fold more potent than alpha-tocopherol in inhibiting lipid peroxidation in rat mitochondria...
- Physiological characterization of spoilage strains of Zygosaccharomyces bailii and Zygosaccharomyces rouxii isolated from high sugar environmentsPatricia Martorell
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Instituto de Agroquimica y Tecnologia de Alimentos CSIC, P O Box 73, E 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 114:234-42. 2007..bailii strains were abnormally able to grow at 37 degrees C. In all strains other than C. magnolia and C. halophila, cells were able to adapt to high levels of sugar...
- Growth stress controls negative gravitropism in woody plant stemsHiroyuki Yamamoto
School of Bio Agricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Planta 216:280-92. 2002..Simulations of observed tree branch morphology of Magnolia kobus DC., Juniperus chinensis L., Abies saccharinensis Fr. Schum., and Prunus spachiana Kitamura f. spachiana cv...
- Cytoprotective effects of KIOM-79 on streptozotocin induced cell damage by inhibiting ERK and AP-1Kyoung Ah Kang
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine and Applied Radiological Science Research Institute, Cheju National University, Jeju Si, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 30:852-8. 2007..investigated the potential cytoprotective properties of a combination of plant extracts (KIOM-79) obtained from Magnolia officinalis, Pueraria lobata, Glycyrrhiza uralensis, and Euphorbia pekinensis, against the oxidative stresses ..
- Antidepressant-like synergism of extracts from magnolia bark and ginger rhizome alone and in combination in miceLi Tao Yi
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 33:616-24. 2009b>Magnolia bark and ginger rhizome is a drug pair in many prescriptions for treatment of mental disorders in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM)...
- Combined administration of the mixture of honokiol and magnolol and ginger oil evokes antidepressant-like synergism in ratsLi Qin Qiang
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, People s Republic of China
Arch Pharm Res 32:1281-92. 2009b>Magnolia bark combined with ginger rhizome is a common drug pair in traditional Chinese prescriptions for the treatment of depression...
- Honokiol causes G0-G1 phase cell cycle arrest in human prostate cancer cells in association with suppression of retinoblastoma protein level/phosphorylation and inhibition of E2F1 transcriptional activityEun Ryeong Hahm
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:2686-95. 2007..to gain insights into the mechanism of cell cycle arrest caused by honokiol, a constituent of oriental herb Magnolia officinalis...
- Medicinal agents in the metabolic syndromeG Banos
Department of Biochemistry, National Institute of Cardiology Ignacio Chavez, Juan Badiano 1 Tlalpan México D F 14080 México
Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem 6:237-52. 2008..fish oils) or Vegetal: for example Digitalis pupurea, century-old cardiovascular medication as well as Magnolia officinalis; Spirulina maxima with beneficial effects as antioxidant and lipid-lowering agent, among others...
- Covariance of preference and performance on normal and novel hosts in a locally monophagous and locally polyphagous butterfly populationJ L Bossart
Department of Biology, The College of New Jersey, PO Box 7718, Ewing, NJ 08628 0718, USA
Oecologia 135:477-86. 2003..e., Liriodendron tulipifera and Magnolia virginiana) and a split-brood design to quantify relative performance of their progeny on each host...
- Using a limited mapping strategy to identify major QTLs for resistance to grapevine powdery mildew (Erysiphe necator) and their use in marker-assisted breedingS Riaz
Department of Viticulture and Enology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Theor Appl Genet 122:1059-73. 2011..Three populations derived their resistance from Muscadinia rotundifolia 'Magnolia'...
- Obovatols, new chitin synthase 2 inhibitors of Saccharomyces cerevisiae from Magnolia obovataEui Il Hwang
Antibiotics Research Laboratory, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, PO Box 115, Yusung, Taejon 305 333, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 49:95-101. 2002..we have isolated a new type of chitin synthase 2 inhibitor, obovatol, which has a biphenol skeleton, from Magnolia obovata. Obovatol inhibited chitin synthase 2 activity of Saccharomyces cerevisiae with an IC(50) of 38 microM...
- Alkaloid and phenolic compounds of Galanthus caucasicus, Magnolia obovata, Cocculus laurifolius, and Veratrum lobelianum grown in GeorgiaDali M Tsakadze
Department of Chemistry, Iv Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Chavchavadze, Tbilisi, GA, USA
Mol Divers 9:41-4. 2005A collection of plants from the country of Georgia (Galanthus caucasicus, Magnolia obovata, Cocculus laurifolius, and Veratrum lobelianum) has been studied for their alkaloid content...
- Leaf phenology in relation to canopy closure in southern Appalachian treesOmar R Lopez
Department of Botany, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 USA
Am J Bot 95:1395-407. 2008..g., Aesculus flava, Carpinus caroliniana) broke bud an average of 24 d before late leafers (e.g., Magnolia fraseri, Nyssa sylvatica)...
- Liquid chromatography-atmospheric pressure chemical ionization tandem mass spectrometry for the simultaneous determination of dimethoxyaschantin, dimethylliroresinol, dimethylpinoresinol, epimagnolin A, fargesin and magnolin in rat plasmaJi Hyun Jeong
National Research Laboratory for Drug Metabolism and Bioanalysis, College of Pharmacy, Wonkwang University, Iksan 570 749, Korea
Biomed Chromatogr 25:879-89. 2011..dimethylpinoresinol, epimagnolin A, fargesin and magnolin, the pharmacologically active ingredients of Magnolia fargesii in rat plasma...
- Inhibition of urease by extracts derived from 15 Chinese medicinal herbsDa Hua Shi
School of Chemical Engineering, Huaihai Institute of Technology, Lianyungang, People s Republic of China
Pharm Biol 49:752-5. 2011..In China, a variety of Chinese medicinal herbs have been prescribed to attenuate or eradicate gastritis-like disorders. However, little is known about the urease inhibition of Chinese medicinal herbs...
- Costunolide-induced apoptosis in human leukemia cells: involvement of c-jun N-terminal kinase activationJung Hye Choi
Department of Oriental Pharmaceutical Science, College of Pharmacy, Kyung Hee University, Hoegi dong, Seoul 130 701, Republic of Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 32:1803-8. 2009The authors previously reported that costunolide, an active compound isolated from the stem bark of Magnolia sieboldii, induced apoptosis via reactive oxygen species (ROS) and Bcl-2-dependent mitochondrial permeability transition in human ..
- Honokiol increases ABCA1 expression level by activating retinoid X receptor betaCha Gyun Jung
Department of Alzheimer s Disease Research, Research Institute, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Obu, Aichi 474 8522, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 33:1105-11. 2010..Using this system, we identified honokiol, a compound extracted from Magnolia officinalis, as an activator of the ABCA1 promoter...
- Effects of the extract of the bark of Magnolia obovata and its biphenolic constituents magnolol and honokiol on histamine release from peritoneal mast cells in ratsY Ikarashi
Department of Neuropsychopharmacology Tsumura, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Planta Med 67:709-13. 2001..This effect may be due mainly to the extract of the bark of Magnolia obovata (M. obovata), a constituent herb of saiboku-to...
- Orthogonal array design for antidepressant compatibility of polysaccharides from Banxia-Houpu decoction, a traditional Chinese herb prescription in the mouse models of depressionLi Tao Yi
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Arch Pharm Res 32:1417-23. 2009..of five herb polysaccharide fractions from Banxia-Houpu decoction, composed of rhizome pinelliae (PRP), magnolia bark (PMB), poria (PPO), ginger rhizome (PGR) and folium perillae (PFP) by a L(16)(2(5)) orthogonal array design ..
- Identification of a naturally occurring rexinoid, honokiol, that activates the retinoid X receptorHitoshi Kotani
Laboratory of Medicinal Resources, School of Pharmacy, Aichi Gakuin University, 1 100 Kusumoto cho, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8650, Japan
J Nat Prod 73:1332-6. 2010..of 86 crude drugs for retinoid X receptor (RXR) ligands demonstrated that the methanol extract of the bark of Magnolia obovata markedly activated the transcriptional activity of RXRalpha in luciferase reporter assays...
- Complete chloroplast genome sequence of Magnolia kwangsiensis (Magnoliaceae): implication for DNA barcoding and population geneticsDai Yong Kuang
Shenzhen Fairy Lake Botanical Garden, Guangdong, P R China
Genome 54:663-73. 2011..The plastome of Magnolia kwangsiensis Figlar & Noot...
- [Quality assessment for Coptis chinensis planted with ecological techniques]Li Qun Wang
New Drugs Research and Development Center, Hubei Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Wuhan 430074, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 26:608-10. 2004..To evaluate the quality difference between Coptis chinensis planted with ecological techniques and shelf planted Coptis chinensis...
- Chloroplast DNA sequence from a miocene Magnolia speciesE M Golenberg
Department of Botany and Plant Sciences, University of California, Riverside 92521
Nature 344:656-8. 1990..the amplification of an 820-base pair (bp) DNA fragment from the chloroplast gene rbcL from a fossil of the genus Magnolia, and its subsequent sequencing...
- Anxiolytic-like effects of obovatol isolated from Magnolia obovata: involvement of GABA/benzodiazepine receptors complexJeong Ju Seo
College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, 361 763, South Korea
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:1363-9. 2007This experiment was performed to investigate whether obovatol isolated from the leaves of Magnolia obovata has anxiolytic-like effects through GABA-benzodiazepine-receptors Cl(-) channel activation...
- Honokiol, a phytochemical from Magnolia spp., inhibits breast cancer cell migration by targeting nitric oxide and cyclooxygenase-2Tripti Singh
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Int J Oncol 38:769-76. 2011In the present study, we report the effects of honokiol, a phytochemical from Magnolia spp., on cancer cell migration capacity and the molecular mechanisms underlying these effects using breast cancer cell lines as an in vitro model...
- Effects of pollen shortage and self-pollination on seed production of an endangered tree, Magnolia stellataKimiko Hirayama
Kansai Research Center, Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Momoyama, Fushimi, Kyoto 612 0855, Japan
Ann Bot 95:1009-15. 2005..of pollen shortage and self-pollination on seed production were quantitatively examined in the natural pollination of an insect-pollinated, dichogamous, endangered tree, Magnolia stellata, which has a large, showy floral display.
- Giant flowers of Southern magnolia are hydrated by the xylemTaylor S Feild
Department of Ecology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37919, USA
Plant Physiol 150:1587-97. 2009..We demonstrate that the water balance of Southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) flowers is regulated in a manner opposite from that of previously examined flowers...
- Protective effect of the ethanol extract of Magnolia officinalis and 4-O-methylhonokiol on scopolamine-induced memory impairment and the inhibition of acetylcholinesterase activityYong Kyung Lee
College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, 12, Gaesin dong, Heungduk gu, Cheongju, Chungbuk, 361 763, Korea
J Nat Med 63:274-82. 2009Magnolol, honokiol, and obovatol are well-known bioactive constituents of the bark of Magnolia officinalis and have been used as traditional Chinese medicines for the treatment of neurosis, anxiety, and stroke...
- Magnolol and honokiol: inhibitors against mouse passive cutaneous anaphylaxis reaction and scratching behaviorsSang Jun Han
Department of Life and Nanopharmaceutical Sciences and Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Kyung Hee University, 1 Hoegi, Dongdaemun ku, Seoul, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 30:2201-3. 2007The antiallergic effects of magnolol and honokiol, isolated from the bark of Magnolia obovata (family Magnoliaceae), were investigated both in vitro and in vivo...
- Apoptosis induced by Magnolia Grandiﬂora extract in chlorambucil-resistant B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia cellsGustavo Horacio Marin
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical, Faculty of Medical Sciences, National University of La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Cancer Res Ther 6:463-5. 2010..New pharmacological properties can be obtained from a great diversity botanical species. Among these products, Magnolia Grandiflora receives our attention since it mainly contains Honokiol which had demonstrated effect against B-CLL ..
- Genetic variation and conservation assessment of Chinese populations of Magnolia cathcartii (Magnoliaceae), a rare evergreen tree from the South-Central China hotspot in the Eastern HimalayasXue Mei Zhang
Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, Yunnan 650204, China
J Plant Res 123:321-31. 2010Nine natural populations of the rare evergreen tree Magnolia cathcartii (Magnoliaceae) were sampled across its natural range, and amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) markers were used to assess genetic variation within and among ..
- Rapid biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles using plant leaf extractsJae Yong Song
Department of Chemical Engineering, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Chungbuk, Republic of Korea
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 32:79-84. 2009Five plant leaf extracts (Pine, Persimmon, Ginkgo, Magnolia and Platanus) were used and compared for their extracellular synthesis of metallic silver nanoparticles...
- [Seed germinating characteristics of endangered plant Magnolia officinalis]Xiao Shu
Research Institute of Subtropical Forestry, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Fuyang 311400, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 35:419-22. 2010To find out the optimal condition for the germination and cultivation condition on Magnolia officinalis, and offer the basis for standardized culture of M. officinalis.
- Effect of a proprietary Magnolia and Phellodendron extract on stress levels in healthy women: a pilot, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trialDouglas S Kalman
Director, Nutrition, Miami Research Associates, Miami, FL, USA
Nutr J 7:11. 2008..This study measured the effects of a proprietary blend of extracts of Magnolia officinalis and Phellodendron amurense (Relora) on anxiety, stress and sleep in healthy premenopausal women.
- 5-lipoxygenase-inhibitory constituents from Schizandra fructus and Magnolia flosHyun Lim
College of Pharmacy, Kangwon National University, Chunchon, Korea
Phytother Res 23:1489-92. 2009In order to establish the antiallergic properties of Schisandra fructus and Magnolia flos, several compounds isolated from these plants were tested for 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) inhibitory activity in vitro, for the first time...
- Neolignans from the fruits of Magnolia obovata and their inhibition effect on NO production in LPS-induced RAW 264.7 cellsKyeong Hwa Seo
Graduate School of Biotechnology and Department of Oriental Medicinal Materials and Processing, Kyung Hee University, Yongin, Republic of Korea
Planta Med 79:1335-40. 2013..2), isomagnolol (3), obovatol (4), obovatal (5), and obovaaldehyde (8), were isolated from the fruits of Magnolia obovata using silica gel and ODS column chromatography...
- Suppressive effects of fructus of Magnolia denudata on IL-4 and IL-13 expression in T cellsMirim Jin
College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University, Daejeon, 300 716, Republic of Korea
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 49:805-14. 2013b>Magnolia species have been used for the treatment of allergic diseases in Asia as folk medicine; however, the cellular and molecular mechanisms of its anti-allergic effects have rarely been investigated...
- Magnolol-induced apoptosis in HCT-116 colon cancer cells is associated with the AMP-activated protein kinase signaling pathwayJun Beom Park
Department of Surgery, Chungnam National University Hospital, and Department of Surgery and Cancer Research Institute, Chungnam National University College of Medicine, Daejeon, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 35:1614-20. 2012..Magnolol, a hydroxylated biphenyl compound present in Magnolia officinalis, exerts anticancer potential and low toxicity...
- [Metabolic engineering of wild acid-resistant yeast for L-lactic acid production]Qin Zhang
Key Laboratory of Industrial Biotechnology, Ministry of Education, Jiangnan University, Wuxi 214122, China
Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao 27:1024-31. 2011..Based on further molecular biological tests, the strain was identified as Candida magnolia. Then, the gene ldhA, encoding a lactate dehydrogenase from Rhizopus oryzae, was cloned into a yeast shuttle ..
- Magnolol suppresses vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis by inhibiting Ras-dependent mitogen-activated protein kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt signaling pathwaysKi Mo Kim
a Korean Medicine Based Herbal Drug Research Group, Herbal Medicine Research Division, Korean Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon, Korea
Nutr Cancer 65:1245-53. 2013Magnolol, a hydroxylated biphenyl compound isolated from Magnolia officinalis, has been reported to possess anticancer activity...
- In vitro antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects of honokiol and magnolol against Propionibacterium spJunho Park
Biospectrum Life Science Institute, Doosan Building, 39 3 Sungbok dong, Yongin, 449 840 Kyunggi do, South Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 496:189-95. 2004Honokiol and magnolol, two major phenolic constituents of Magnolia sp., have been known to exhibit antibacterial activities. However, until now, their antibacterial activity against Propionibacterium sp. has not been reported...
- Striking differences in RNA editing requirements to express the rps4 gene in magnolia and sunflower mitochondriaTeresa M R Regina
Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare, Universita degli Studi della Calabria, 87030 Arcavacata di Rende, Italy
Gene 286:33-41. 2002..rps4) has been identified as a single copy sequence in the mitochondrial genomes of two distant higher plants, Magnolia and Helianthus...
- Effect of the essential oil from the flowers of Magnolia sieboldii on the lipopolysaccharide-induced production of nitric oxide and prostaglandin E2 by rat peritoneal macrophagesSoon Sung Lim
Planta Med 68:459-62. 2002The essential oil from the flowers of Magnolia sieboldii was tested for its effects on lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced production of nitric oxide (NO) and prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)) by rat peritoneal macrophages...
- Protective effects of honokiol against oxidized LDL-induced cytotoxicity and adhesion molecule expression in endothelial cellsHsiu Chung Ou
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Education and Medical Research, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Chem Biol Interact 161:1-13. 2006Honokiol, a compound extracted from Chinese medicinal herb Magnolia officinalis, has several biological effects. However, its protective effects against endothelial injury remain unclarified...
- Magnolol enhances adipocyte differentiation and glucose uptake in 3T3-L1 cellsSun Sil Choi
Research Institute for Biological Functions, Chubu University, 1200 Matsumoto, Kasugai, Aichi, Japan
Life Sci 84:908-14. 2009..Its ligands, including thiazolidinediones, improve insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetes. We investigate the effect of magnolol, an ingredient of Magnolia officinalis on adipogenesis and glucose uptake using 3T3-L1 cells.
- Effects of magnolol on impairment of learning and memory abilities induced by scopolamine in miceYang Si Li
Clinical Medicine Department, Sun Yet Sen University, Guangzhou 510089, China
Biol Pharm Bull 36:764-71. 2013..Magnolol (Mag), a bioactivator extracted from Magnolia officinalis, has protective effects on cholinergic neurons, but the specific mechanism remains unknown...
- Studies on the alkaloids of the bark of Magnolia officinalis: isolation and on-line analysis by HPLC-ESI-MS(n)Renyi Yan
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Molecules 18:7739-50. 2013The bark of Magnolia officinalis is a well-known Traditional Chinese Medicine...
- [Effects of primary processing on quality of cortex Magnolia officinalis]Shengxian Yu
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 35:1831-5. 2010In this paper, the changes of volatile oil and non-volatile ingredients in Cortex Magnolia Officinalis before and after primary processing were determined by an HPLC and a GC-MS method...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of the neurotransmitter agonist Honokiol in a mouse model of allergic asthmaMelissa E Munroe
Department of Microbiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunol 185:5586-97. 2010..Honokiol (HNK), a phenolic neurotransmitter receptor (γ-aminobutyric acid type A) agonist purified from magnolia, has anti-inflammatory properties, including stabilization of inflammation in experimentally induced arthritis...
- Screening active anti-breast cancer compounds from Cortex Magnolia officinalis by 2D LC-MSXiaofang Hou
School of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, Shaanxi, P R China
J Sep Sci 36:706-12. 2013..for recognition, separation, and identification of target components from traditional Chinese medicine Cortex Magnolia officinalis...
- Chemical compositions and antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of the essential oils from Magnolia grandiflora, Chrysactinia mexicana, and Schinus molle found in northeast MexicoLaura Guerra-Boone
Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Medicina, Departamento de Quimica Analitica, Av Francisco I Madero y Dr Eduardo Aguirre Pequeño S N, Col Mitras Centro, C P 64460, P O Box 2316 Sucursal Tecnológico, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Nat Prod Commun 8:135-8. 2013The essential oils from Magnolia grandiflora and Chrysactinia mexicana leaves, and from Schinus molle leaves and fruit, were characterized by gas chromatography/flame-ionization detection and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry...
- Cardiovascular protection of magnolol: cell-type specificity and dose-related effectsJennifer Hui Chun Ho
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Biomed Sci 19:70. 2012b>Magnolia officinalis has been widely used in traditional Chinese medicine. Magnolol, an active component isolated from Magnolia officinalis, is known to be a cardiovascular protector since 1994...
- Honokiol and magnolol stimulate glucose uptake by activating PI3K-dependent Akt in L6 myotubesSun Sil Choi
Research Institute for Biological Functions, Chubu University, Kasugai, Aichi, Japan
Biofactors 38:372-7. 2012Honokiol and magnolol, ingredients of Magnolia officinalis, which is used in traditional Chinese and Japanese medicines, have been reported to have antioxidant, anticancer, and antiangiogenic effects...
- Ethanol extract of Magnolia officinalis prevents lipopolysaccharide-induced memory deficiency via its antineuroinflammatory and antiamyloidogenic effectsYoung Jung Lee
College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, 12 Gaesin Dong, Heungduk gu, Cheongju, Chungbuk, 361 763, Korea
Phytother Res 27:438-47. 2013b>Magnolia bark contains several compounds such as magnolol, honokiol, 4-O-methylhonokiol, obovatol, and other neolignan compounds. These compounds have been reported to have various beneficial effects in various diseases...
- Effects of magnolol (5,5'-diallyl-2,2'-dihydroxybiphenyl) on diabetic nephropathy in type 2 diabetic Goto-Kakizaki ratsEun Jin Sohn
Department of Herbal Pharmaceutical Development, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, 461 24 Jeonmin dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 811, Republic of Korea
Life Sci 80:468-75. 2007..the effect of magnolol (5,5'-diallyl-2,2'-dihydroxybiphenyl), a marker compound isolated from the cortex of Magnolia officinalis, in non-obese type 2 diabetic Goto-Kakizaki (GK) rats...
- Polybromodiphenyl ethers and decabromodiphenyl ethane in aquatic sediments from southern and eastern Arkansas, United StatesHua Wei
School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2121 West Taylor Sreet, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Environ Sci Technol 46:8017-24. 2012..from six water bodies in AR, including three located close to the BFR manufacturing facilities in El Dorado and Magnolia, to investigate past and recent deposition histories...
- The natural products magnolol and honokiol are positive allosteric modulators of both synaptic and extra-synaptic GABA(A) receptorsMikhail Alexeev
Honors College, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Neuropharmacology 62:2507-14. 2012..Extracts from the tree bark of magnolia species have been used for centuries in traditional Chinese and Japanese medicines to treat a variety of ..
- Effects of obovatol on GSH depleted glia-mediated neurotoxicity and oxidative damageMoonHee Lee
Kinsmen Laboratory of Neurological Research, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6T 1Z3
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 7:173-86. 2012Earlier studies indicate that obovatol (OBO), isolated from a medicinal herb Magnolia obovata, has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties...
- [High-throughput pyrosequencing of the complete chloroplast genome of Magnolia officinalis and its application in species identification]Xi wen Li
Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Yao Xue Xue Bao 47:124-30. 2012..The complete chloroplast genome of Magnolia officinalis sequenced by high-throughput pyrosequencing and a sequencing procedure was established...
- Effect of magnolol on the function of osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cellsEun Jung Kwak
Department of Food Science Technology, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan 712 749, Republic of Korea
Mediators Inflamm 2012:829650. 2012In the present study, the ability of magnolol, a hydroxylated biphenyl compound isolated from Magnolia officinalis, to stimulate osteoblast function and inhibit the release of bone-resorbing mediators was investigated in osteoblastic ..
- KIOM-79, an Inhibitor of AGEs-Protein Cross-linking, Prevents Progression of Nephropathy in Zucker Diabetic Fatty RatsYoung Sook Kim
Diabetic Complications Research Center, Division of Traditional Korean Medicine TKM Integrated Research, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011:761859. 2011..KIOM-79, an 80% ethanolic extract obtained from parched Puerariae Radix, gingered Magnolia Cortex, Glycyrrhiza Radix and Euphorbia Radix, was investigated for its effects on the development of renal ..
- Elucidating the inhibitory mechanisms of magnolol on rat smooth muscle cell proliferationChieh Hsi Wu
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, China Medical University, Taiwan
J Pharmacol Sci 99:392-9. 2005..Pretreatment with antioxidants has been shown to reduce restenosis. Magnolol, an active compound of Magnolia officinalis, has exhibited approximately 1,000 times more potent antioxidant effects than alpha-tocopherol...
- Before the N400: effects of lexical-semantic violations in visual cortexSuzanne Dikker
Sackler Institute for Developmental Psychobiology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, United States
Brain Lang 118:23-8. 2011..g., flowers) and visual or auditory forms (e.g., tulip, rose, magnolia). For syntactic categories, in contrast, certain form features do reliably correlate with category membership...
- Antimicrobial effect of Magnolia officinalis extract against Staphylococcus aureusYongjin Hu
School of Food Science and Technology, Yunnan Agricultural University, Kunming 650201, Yunnan, China
J Sci Food Agric 91:1050-6. 2011The antimicrobial effect of Magnolia officinalis extract (MOE) against Staphylococcus aureus was investigated in a minced mutton system and the mechanisms of its antimicrobial activity were studied by light microscopy, transmission ..
- [Phytotherapeutic aspects of diseases of the circulatory system. 8. Chinese magnolia (Schisandra chinensis (Turcz.) Baill.): production of the drugs and their evaluation, therapeutic and dietary preparations]L Opletal
Katedra farmaceutické botaniky a ekologie Farmaceutické fakulty Univerzity Karlovy, Hradec Kralove
Ceska Slov Farm 50:219-24. 2001..The review discusses complex analytical methods used for the determination of the content of substances and the phenomena of population ecology in relation with drug production...
- Randomized controlled study on clinical efficacy of isoflavones plus Lactobacillus sporogenes, associated or not with a natural anxiolytic agent in menopauseC Agosta
Casa di Cura San Clemente, Mantova, Italy
Minerva Ginecol 63:11-7. 2011The aim of this paper was to evaluate the activity of magnolia bark extract added to isoflavones and lactobacilli in menopausal women with typical menopausal symptoms and concomitant borderline psychoaffective and/or sleep alterations, of ..
- RNA editing of the ribosomal protein S13 transcripts in magnolia and sunflower mitochondriaT M Regina
Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare, Universita degli Studi della Calabria, 87030 Arcavacata di Rende, Italy
Plant Cell Physiol 42:768-74. 2001..we investigated the conservation of the gene for ribosomal protein S13 (rps13) in the mitochondrial genomes of Magnolia spp. and Helianthus annuus...
- [Study of Magnolia grandiflora extracts in guinea pigs cardiac muscle]Leonardo del Valle Mondragon
Departamento de Farmacologia, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Tlalpan, Mexico, DF
Arch Cardiol Mex 74:108-17. 2004Several extracts from diverse Magnolia grandiflora varieties were pharmacological evaluated in the cardiac muscle...
- Apoptosis-Inducing costunolide and a novel acyclic monoterpene from the stem bark of Magnolia sieboldiiH J Park
Division of Applied Plant Science, Sang Ji University, Wonju, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 24:342-8. 2001In a course of obtaining more amount of bioactive costunolide and successive phytochemical isolation from Magnolia sieboldii (Magnoliaceae), a novel acyclic monoterpene 1 named deoxygeraniol [2,6(E)-dimethyl-2,6-octadiene] was isolated ..
- [Population genetic study of Magnolia officinalis and Magnolia officinalis var. biloba]Shengxian Yu
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 35:2129-32. 2010population genetic study of Magnolia officinalis and M. officinalis var. biloba was performed in this paper...
- Honokiol attenuates vascular contraction through the inhibition of the RhoA/Rho-kinase signalling pathway in rat aortic ringsYoung Mi Seok
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine, Daegu, Republic of Korea
J Pharm Pharmacol 63:1244-51. 2011Honokiol is a small-molecule polyphenol isolated from the species Magnolia obovata. We hypothesized that honokiol attenuated vascular contractions through the inhibition of the RhoA/Rho-kinase signalling pathway.
- Antiplatelet activity of obovatol, a biphenolic component of Magnolia Obovata, in rat arterial thrombosis and rabbit platelet aggregationEun Seok Park
College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Republic of Korea
J Atheroscler Thromb 18:659-69. 2011..Obovatol, a major biphenolic component of Magnolia Obovata leaves, displays anti-inflammatory and acyl Co-A cholesterol acyltrasferase inhibitory effects...
- Mitochondrial Oxidative Stress In Angiotensis II Induced Endothelial DysfunctionSergey Dikalov; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work will study the role of mitochondrial oxidative stress in endothelial dysfunction and provide a novel therapeutic target to treat and prevent hypertension. ..