Genomes and Genes
Alias: Drosophila melanogaster, Drosophila melangaster, Drosophila melanogaster Meigen, 1830
Publications313 found, 100 shown here
- LaFlamme B, Avila F, Michalski K, Wolfner M. A Drosophila protease cascade member, seminal metalloprotease-1, is activated stepwise by male factors and requires female factors for full activity. Genetics. 2014;196:1117-29 pubmed publisher..We previously reported the existence of a proteolytic cascade in Drosophila melanogaster seminal fluid that is initiated in the male and ends in the female...
- Oas S, Bryantsev A, Cripps R. Arrest is a regulator of fiber-specific alternative splicing in the indirect flight muscles of Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:895-908 pubmed publisherb>Drosophila melanogaster flight muscles are distinct from other skeletal muscles, such as jump muscles, and express several uniquely spliced muscle-associated transcripts...
- Tufi R, Gandhi S, de Castro I, Lehmann S, Angelova P, Dinsdale D, et al. Enhancing nucleotide metabolism protects against mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration in a PINK1 model of Parkinson's disease. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:157-66 pubmed publisher..We propose that targeting strategies enhancing nucleotide synthesis pathways may reverse mitochondrial dysfunction and rescue neurodegeneration in PD and, potentially, other diseases linked to mitochondrial impairment. ..
- Collins K, Unruh J, Slaughter B, Yu Z, Lake C, Nielsen R, et al. Corolla is a novel protein that contributes to the architecture of the synaptonemal complex of Drosophila. Genetics. 2014;198:219-28 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the identification of a novel SC component in Drosophila melanogaster female oocytes, which we have named Corolla...
- Lin S, Owald D, Chandra V, Talbot C, Huetteroth W, Waddell S. Neural correlates of water reward in thirsty Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:1536-42 pubmed publisher..Here we show that thirst converts water avoidance into water-seeking in naive Drosophila melanogaster. Thirst also permitted flies to learn olfactory cues paired with water reward...
- LING F, Dahanukar A, Weiss L, Kwon J, Carlson J. The molecular and cellular basis of taste coding in the legs of Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2014;34:7148-64 pubmed publisher..Although the labellum of the Drosophila melanogaster head has been described in detail, the tarsal segments of the legs, which collectively contain more taste ..
- Piper M, Blanc E, Leitão Gonçalves R, Yang M, He X, Linford N, et al. A holidic medium for Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Methods. 2014;11:100-5 pubmed publisher..There is currently no complete chemically defined (holidic) diet available for Drosophila melanogaster. We describe a holidic medium that is equal in performance to an oligidic diet optimized for adult ..
- Bowman S, Deaton A, Domingues H, Wang P, Sadreyev R, Kingston R, et al. H3K27 modifications define segmental regulatory domains in the Drosophila bithorax complex. elife. 2014;3:e02833 pubmed publisherThe bithorax complex (BX-C) in Drosophila melanogaster is a cluster of homeotic genes that determine body segment identity. Expression of these genes is governed by cis-regulatory domains, one for each parasegment...
- King E, Sanderson B, McNeil C, Long A, Macdonald S. Genetic dissection of the Drosophila melanogaster female head transcriptome reveals widespread allelic heterogeneity. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004322 pubmed publisher..segregating at each locus using a large set of 7922 eQTL contributing to regulatory variation in the Drosophila melanogaster female head...
- Housden B, Terriente Félix A, Bray S. Context-dependent enhancer selection confers alternate modes of notch regulation on argos. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:664-72 pubmed publisher..that underlie different modes of cross talk, we have focused on argos, an EGFR pathway regulator in Drosophila melanogaster which is upregulated by Notch in adult muscle progenitors but is repressed in the wing...
- Chambers M, Jacobson E, Khalil S, Lazzaro B. Thorax injury lowers resistance to infection in Drosophila melanogaster. Infect Immun. 2014;82:4380-9 pubmed publisher..We investigated differences in Drosophila melanogaster defense against infection after bacterial inoculation into two sites--the abdomen and the thorax...
- Li H, Kroll J, Lennox S, Ogundeyi O, Jeter J, Depasquale G, et al. A GAL4 driver resource for developmental and behavioral studies on the larval CNS of Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2014;8:897-908 pubmed publisher..The optic lobes, by comparison, appear to use a different set of genetic instructions in their development. ..
- Acharya S, Laupsien P, Wenzl C, Yan S, Großhans J. Function and dynamics of slam in furrow formation in early Drosophila embryo. Dev Biol. 2014;386:371-84 pubmed publisher..Following the onset of zygotic gene expression, Slam and Nullo together stabilise this mark and Slam triggers invagination of the cleavage furrow. ..
- Hamada Kawaguchi N, Nore B, Kuwada Y, Smith C, Yamamoto D. Btk29A promotes Wnt4 signaling in the niche to terminate germ cell proliferation in Drosophila. Science. 2014;343:294-7 pubmed publisher..This signaling mechanism likely represents a versatile developmental switch. ..
- Politi Y, Gal L, Kalifa Y, Ravid L, Elazar Z, Arama E. Paternal mitochondrial destruction after fertilization is mediated by a common endocytic and autophagic pathway in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2014;29:305-20 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the ubiquitin ligase Parkin is not involved in PMD, implying a divergence from the autophagic pathway of damaged mitochondria. ..
- Bargiela A, Llamusi B, Cerro Herreros E, Artero R. Two enhancers control transcription of Drosophila muscleblind in the embryonic somatic musculature and in the central nervous system. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e93125 pubmed publisher..The present study constitutes the first characterization of muscleblind enhancers and will contribute to a deeper understanding of the transcriptional regulation of the gene. ..
- Demetriades C, Doumpas N, Teleman A. Regulation of TORC1 in response to amino acid starvation via lysosomal recruitment of TSC2. Cell. 2014;156:786-99 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that regulation of TSC2 subcellular localization may be a general mechanism to control its activity and place TSC2 in the amino-acid-sensing pathway to TORC1...
- Kim H, Raphael A, LADOW E, McGurk L, Weber R, Trojanowski J, et al. Therapeutic modulation of eIF2? phosphorylation rescues TDP-43 toxicity in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease models. Nat Genet. 2014;46:152-60 pubmed publisher..that modulate stress granules are strong modifiers of TDP-43 toxicity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Drosophila melanogaster. eIF2? phosphorylation is upregulated by TDP-43 toxicity in flies, and TDP-43 interacts with a central ..
- Matute D, Gavin Smyth J. Fine mapping of dominant X-linked incompatibility alleles in Drosophila hybrids. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004270 pubmed publisher..This suggests that X-linked elements that cause hybrid inviability in males might not do so in hybrid females due to differing sex chromosome interactions. ..
- Shields A, Spence A, Yamashita Y, Davies E, Fuller M. The actin-binding protein profilin is required for germline stem cell maintenance and germ cell enclosure by somatic cyst cells. Development. 2014;141:73-82 pubmed publisher..In addition, loss of chic function in the soma resulted in failure of somatic cyst cells to maintain germ cell enclosure and overproliferation of transit-amplifying spermatogonia. ..
- Zhu C, Ingelmo P, Rand D. G×G×E for lifespan in Drosophila: mitochondrial, nuclear, and dietary interactions that modify longevity. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004354 pubmed publisher..context of longevity, we generated 18 "mito-nuclear" genotypes by placing mtDNA from strains of Drosophila melanogaster and D. simulans onto controlled nuclear backgrounds of D...
- Appocher C, Klima R, Feiguin F. Functional screening in Drosophila reveals the conserved role of REEP1 in promoting stress resistance and preventing the formation of Tau aggregates. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:6762-72 pubmed publisher..These studies identify a new function for the REEP1 protein in vivo and a novel cellular mechanism to prevent Tau toxicity. ..
- Liu Z, Huang Y, Hu W, Huang S, Wang Q, Han J, et al. dAcsl, the Drosophila ortholog of acyl-CoA synthetase long-chain family member 3 and 4, inhibits synapse growth by attenuating bone morphogenetic protein signaling via endocytic recycling. J Neurosci. 2014;34:2785-96 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal a novel mechanism whereby dAcsl facilitates Rab11-dependent receptor recycling and provide insights into the pathogenesis of ACSL4-related mental retardation. ..
- Shang Y, Donelson N, Vecsey C, Guo F, Rosbash M, Griffith L. Short neuropeptide F is a sleep-promoting inhibitory modulator. Neuron. 2013;80:171-83 pubmed publisher..sNPF acutely increases sleep without altering feeding behavior, which it affects only on a much longer time scale. The profound effect of sNPF on sleep indicates that it is an important sleep-promoting molecule. ..
- Dweck H, Ebrahim S, Kromann S, Bown D, Hillbur Y, Sachse S, et al. Olfactory preference for egg laying on citrus substrates in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2013;23:2472-80 pubmed publisher..To identify suitable oviposition sites, insects, such as the vinegar fly Drosophila melanogaster, assess a complex range of features. The fly selectively lays eggs in fermenting fruit...
- Bidaye S, Machacek C, Wu Y, Dickson B. Neuronal control of Drosophila walking direction. Science. 2014;344:97-101 pubmed publisher..These findings provide an initial glimpse into the circuits and logic that control walking direction in Drosophila. ..
- Mohn F, Sienski G, Handler D, Brennecke J. The rhino-deadlock-cutoff complex licenses noncanonical transcription of dual-strand piRNA clusters in Drosophila. Cell. 2014;157:1364-79 pubmed publisher..Likely, this process involves 5' end protection of nascent RNAs and suppression of transcription termination. Our data provide key insight into the regulation and evolution of piRNA clusters...
- Alekseyenko A, Gorchakov A, Zee B, Fuchs S, Kharchenko P, Kuroda M. Heterochromatin-associated interactions of Drosophila HP1a with dADD1, HIPP1, and repetitive RNAs. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1445-60 pubmed publisher..We propose that this rich network of previously undiscovered interactions will define how HP1a complexes perform their diverse functions in cells and developing organisms. ..
- Lowe N, Rees J, Roote J, Ryder E, Armean I, Johnson G, et al. Analysis of the expression patterns, subcellular localisations and interaction partners of Drosophila proteins using a pigP protein trap library. Development. 2014;141:3994-4005 pubmed publisher..Our resource substantially increases the number of available protein traps in Drosophila and identifies new markers for cellular organelles and structures. ..
- Tang H, Liao H, Peng W, Lin H, Chen C, Chen G. Atg9 interacts with dTRAF2/TRAF6 to regulate oxidative stress-induced JNK activation and autophagy induction. Dev Cell. 2013;27:489-503 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate a dual role for Atg9 in the regulation of JNK signaling and autophagy under oxidative stress conditions. ..
- Petkova M, Little S, Liu F, Gregor T. Maternal origins of developmental reproducibility. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1283-8 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the reproducibility of the morphological structures of embryos originates during oogenesis, which is when the expression of maternally provided patterning factors is precisely controlled. ..
- Small C, Ramroop J, Otazo M, Huang L, Saleque S, Govind S. An unexpected link between notch signaling and ROS in restricting the differentiation of hematopoietic progenitors in Drosophila. Genetics. 2014;197:471-83 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila melanogaster larvae, multipotent hematopoietic progenitors support the production of three lineages, exhibit ..
- Strochlic T, Stavrides K, Thomas S, Nicolas E, O Reilly A, Peterson J. Ack kinase regulates CTP synthase filaments during Drosophila oogenesis. EMBO Rep. 2014;15:1184-91 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight an unexpected function for DAck and provide insight into a novel pathway for the developmental control of an essential metabolic pathway governing nucleotide biosynthesis. ..
- Mensch J, Serra F, Lavagnino N, Dopazo H, Hasson E. Positive selection in nucleoporins challenges constraints on early expressed genes in Drosophila development. Genome Biol Evol. 2013;5:2231-41 pubmed publisher..Because many Nups are involved in hybrid incompatibilities between species of the Drosophila melanogaster subgroup, our results link rapid evolution of early developmental genes with reproductive isolation...
- Savva Y, Jepson J, Chang Y, Whitaker R, Jones B, St Laurent G, et al. RNA editing regulates transposon-mediated heterochromatic gene silencing. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2745 pubmed publisher..Lastly, systemic differences in RNA editing activity generates interindividual variation in silencing state within a population. Our data reveal a global role for RNA editing in regulating gene expression. ..
- Satyaki P, Cuykendall T, Wei K, Brideau N, Kwak H, Aruna S, et al. The Hmr and Lhr hybrid incompatibility genes suppress a broad range of heterochromatic repeats. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004240 pubmed publisher..The genes Hmr and Lhr genetically interact to cause hybrid lethality between Drosophila melanogaster and D. simulans, yet mutations in both genes are viable...
- Ma X, Wang S, Do T, Song X, Inaba M, Nishimoto Y, et al. Piwi is required in multiple cell types to control germline stem cell lineage development in the Drosophila ovary. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e90267 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Piwi is required in multiple cell types to control GSC lineage development in the Drosophila ovary. ..
- Sulkowski M, Kim Y, Serpe M. Postsynaptic glutamate receptors regulate local BMP signaling at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Development. 2014;141:436-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, synaptic pMad functions as a local sensor for NMJ synapse activity and has the potential to coordinate synaptic activity with a BMP retrograde signal required for synapse growth and homeostasis. ..
- Misra S, Singh A, C H R, Sharma V, Reddy Mudiam M, Ram K. Identification of Drosophila-based endpoints for the assessment and understanding of xenobiotic-mediated male reproductive adversities. Toxicol Sci. 2014;141:278-91 pubmed publisher..Towards this direction, we show here that Drosophila melanogaster, an invertebrate, with its well characterized/conserved male reproductive processes/proteome, ..
- Ryoo H, Li J, Kang M. Drosophila XBP1 expression reporter marks cells under endoplasmic reticulum stress and with high protein secretory load. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75774 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that secretory cells suffer from inherent ER stress, and the xbp1p>dsRed flies provide a useful tool in studying the function and homeostasis of those cells. ..
- Mckay D, Lieb J. A common set of DNA regulatory elements shapes Drosophila appendages. Dev Cell. 2013;27:306-18 pubmed publisher..We propose that master regulators create morphologically distinct structures by differentially influencing the function of the same set of DNA regulatory modules. ..
- Mishra P, Chan D. Mitochondrial dynamics and inheritance during cell division, development and disease. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2014;15:634-46 pubmed publisher..Defects in these processes can lead to cell and tissue pathologies. ..
- Otsuna H, Shinomiya K, Ito K. Parallel neural pathways in higher visual centers of the Drosophila brain that mediate wavelength-specific behavior. Front Neural Circuits. 2014;8:8 pubmed publisher..The present study provides novel insights about how visual information is separated and processed in parallel to achieve robust control of an innate behavior. ..
- Luo J, Liu Y, Nassel D. Insulin/IGF-regulated size scaling of neuroendocrine cells expressing the bHLH transcription factor Dimmed in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1004052 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the dInR-mediated scaling of neuroendocrine cells is part of a plasticity that adapts the secretory capacity to changing physiological conditions and nutrient-dependent organismal growth. ..
- Brown M, Chan M, Zimmerman J, Pack A, Jackson N, Naidoo N. Aging induced endoplasmic reticulum stress alters sleep and sleep homeostasis. Neurobiol Aging. 2014;35:1431-41 pubmed publisher..Previously, we showed that endogenous chaperone levels altered recovery sleep in Drosophila melanogaster. We now report that acute administration of the chemical chaperone sodium 4-phenylbutyrate (PBA) reduces ..
- Jayanandanan N, Mathew R, Leptin M. Guidance of subcellular tubulogenesis by actin under the control of a synaptotagmin-like protein and Moesin. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3036 pubmed publisher..Btsz and Moesin guide luminal membrane morphogenesis through organizing actin and allowing the incorporation of membrane containing the apical determinant Crumbs. ..
- Matute D, Gavin Smyth J, Liu G. Variable post-zygotic isolation in Drosophila melanogaster/D. simulans hybrids. J Evol Biol. 2014;27:1691-705 pubmed publisher..the effects of natural variation on the penetrance of hybrid inviability phenotypes in crosses between Drosophila melanogaster and two species of the D. simulans subcomplex, D. simulans and D. sechellia...
- ..Together, these findings are shedding light on how global cues integrate with local cell interactions to organize cellular polarity at the tissue level. ..
- Thomas C, Kotova E, Andrake M, Adolf Bryfogle J, Glaser R, Regnard C, et al. Kinase-mediated changes in nucleosome conformation trigger chromatin decondensation via poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation. Mol Cell. 2014;53:831-42 pubmed publisher..We propose that chromatin loosening and associated initiation of gene expression is activated by phosphorylation of H2Av in a nucleosome positioned in promoter regions of PARP-1-dependent genes...
- Schnaitmann C, Garbers C, Wachtler T, Tanimoto H. Color discrimination with broadband photoreceptors. Curr Biol. 2013;23:2375-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that receptors with a complex and broad spectral sensitivity can contribute to color vision and reveal that chromatic and achromatic circuits in the fly share common photoreceptors. ..
- Meireles Filho A, Bardet A, Yáñez Cuna J, Stampfel G, Stark A. cis-regulatory requirements for tissue-specific programs of the circadian clock. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1-10 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal how universal clock circuits can regulate tissue-specific rhythms and, more generally, provide insights into the mechanism by which universal TFs can be modulated to drive tissue-specific programs of gene expression. ..
- Takayama S, Dhahbi J, Roberts A, Mao G, Heo S, Pachter L, et al. Genome methylation in D. melanogaster is found at specific short motifs and is independent of DNMT2 activity. Genome Res. 2014;24:821-30 pubmed publisherCytosine methylation in the genome of Drosophila melanogaster has been elusive and controversial: Its location and function have not been established...
- Lin C, Katanaev V. Kermit interacts with G?o, Vang, and motor proteins in Drosophila planar cell polarity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76885 pubmed publisher..Our results place Kermit as a potential transducer of Go, linking Vang with motor proteins for its delivery to dedicated cellular compartments during PCP establishment. ..
- Bai H, Kang P, Hernandez A, Tatar M. Activin signaling targeted by insulin/dFOXO regulates aging and muscle proteostasis in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003941 pubmed publisher..Reduced insulin secretion from the brain may subsequently reinforce longevity assurance through decreased systemic insulin/IGF signaling. ..
- Ayukawa T, Akiyama M, Mummery Widmer J, Stoeger T, Sasaki J, Knoblich J, et al. Dachsous-dependent asymmetric localization of spiny-legs determines planar cell polarity orientation in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2014;8:610-21 pubmed publisher..A mathematical model demonstrates that Sple is the key regulator connecting Ds and the core proteins. Our model explains the previously noted discrepancies in terms of the differing relative amounts of Sple in the eye and wing. ..
- Law A, Vehlow A, Kotini M, Dodgson L, Soong D, Theveneau E, et al. Lamellipodin and the Scar/WAVE complex cooperate to promote cell migration in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:673-89 pubmed publisher..Further, Lpd's Drosophila melanogaster orthologue Pico binds Scar, and both regulate collective epithelial border cell migration...
- Nagy P, HegedÅ±s K, Pircs K, Varga Ã, JuhÃ¡sz G. Different effects of Atg2 and Atg18 mutations on Atg8a and Atg9 trafficking during starvation in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:408-13 pubmed publisher..The simultaneous interaction of Atg18 with both Atg9 and Ref(2)P raises the possibility that Atg18 may facilitate selective degradation of ubiquitinated protein aggregates by autophagy. ..
- Ozturk N, Selby C, Zhong D, Sancar A. Mechanism of photosignaling by Drosophila cryptochrome: role of the redox status of the flavin chromophore. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:4634-42 pubmed publisher..We conclude that both oxidized and reduced forms of dCRY are capable of photosignaling. ..
- Luhur A, Chawla G, Wu Y, Li J, Sokol N. Drosha-independent DGCR8/Pasha pathway regulates neuronal morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1421-6 pubmed publisher..Given that reduction of human DGCR8/Pasha may contribute to the cognitive and behavioral characteristics of DiGeorge syndrome patients, disruption of this newly described pathway could underlie human neurological disease. ..
- Fujita N, Nagata Y, Nishiuchi T, Sato M, Iwami M, Kiya T. Visualization of neural activity in insect brains using a conserved immediate early gene, Hr38. Curr Biol. 2013;23:2063-70 pubmed publisher..We found that Hr38 can also be used as a neural activity marker in the fly Drosophila melanogaster. Using Hr38, we constructed a neural activity map of the fly brain that partially overlaps with ..
- Wunderlich Z, Bragdon M, DePace A. Comparing mRNA levels using in situ hybridization of a target gene and co-stain. Methods. 2014;68:233-41 pubmed publisher..This strategy can be broadly applied to detect quantitative, spatially resolved changes in mRNA levels. ..
- Kemppainen K, Rinne J, Sriram A, Lakanmaa M, Zeb A, Tuomela T, et al. Expression of alternative oxidase in Drosophila ameliorates diverse phenotypes due to cytochrome oxidase deficiency. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:2078-93 pubmed publisher..These findings confirm the potential utility of alternative respiratory chain enzymes as tools to combat mitochondrial disease, while indicating important limitations thereof. ..
- Fisek M, Wilson R. Stereotyped connectivity and computations in higher-order olfactory neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:280-8 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila melanogaster, the majority of glomerular projections target the lateral horn...
- Chen Y, Akin O, Nern A, Tsui C, Pecot M, Zipursky S. Cell-type-specific labeling of synapses in vivo through synaptic tagging with recombination. Neuron. 2014;81:280-93 pubmed publisher..STaR also allows synapses within the CNS to be studied in live animals noninvasively. In principle, STaR can be adapted to the mammalian nervous system. ..
- Demontis F, Patel V, Swindell W, Perrimon N. Intertissue control of the nucleolus via a myokine-dependent longevity pathway. Cell Rep. 2014;7:1481-1494 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings highlight a key role for myokine signaling in the integration of signaling events in muscle and distant tissues during aging. ..
- Alkhori L, Ost A, Alenius M. The corepressor Atrophin specifies odorant receptor expression in Drosophila. FASEB J. 2014;28:1355-64 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that Atro determines the level of H3ac, which ensures correct OR gene expression within the Nba OSNs. We propose a mechanism by which a single corepressor can specify a large number of neuron classes...
- TakÃ¡ts S, Pircs K, Nagy P, Varga Ã, KÃ¡rpÃ¡ti M, HegedÅ±s K, et al. Interaction of the HOPS complex with Syntaxin 17 mediates autophagosome clearance in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1338-54 pubmed publisher..Our results establish the role of HOPS and its likely mechanism of action during autophagy in metazoans. ..
- Martinez J, Longdon B, Bauer S, Chan Y, Miller W, Bourtzis K, et al. Symbionts commonly provide broad spectrum resistance to viruses in insects: a comparative analysis of Wolbachia strains. PLoS Pathog. 2014;10:e1004369 pubmed publisher..The large variation in Wolbachia's antiviral properties highlights the need to carefully select Wolbachia strains introduced into mosquito populations to prevent the transmission of arboviruses. ..
- Sun Y, Yolitz J, Alberico T, Sun X, Zou S. Lifespan extension by cranberry supplementation partially requires SOD2 and is life stage independent. Exp Gerontol. 2014;50:57-63 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that cranberry supplementation is sufficient to promote longevity when implemented during any life stage, likely through reducing oxidative damage. ..
- Hall S, Bone C, Oshima K, Zhang L, McGraw M, Lucas B, et al. Macroglobulin complement-related encodes a protein required for septate junction organization and paracellular barrier function in Drosophila. Development. 2014;141:889-98 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies demonstrate that Mcr is a core component of epithelial SJs and also highlight an interesting relationship between innate immunity and epithelial barrier functions. ..
- Viswanathan M, Kaushik G, Engler A, Lehman W, Cammarato A. A Drosophila melanogaster model of diastolic dysfunction and cardiomyopathy based on impaired troponin-T function. Circ Res. 2014;114:e6-17 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila upheld(101) Glu/Lys amino acid substitution lies C-terminally adjacent to this phylogenetically conserved sequence...
- Das G, Klappenbach M, Vrontou E, Perisse E, Clark C, Burke C, et al. Drosophila learn opposing components of a compound food stimulus. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1723-30 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that flies independently process the DEET and sugar components to form parallel aversive and appetitive olfactory memories, with distinct kinetics, that compete to guide learned behavior. ..
- Chen C, Dechassa M, Bettini E, Ledoux M, Belisario C, Heun P, et al. CAL1 is the Drosophila CENP-A assembly factor. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:313-29 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this work identifies the "missing" CENP-A chaperone in flies, revealing fundamental conservation between insect and vertebrate centromere-specification mechanisms. ..
- Beckwith E, Gorostiza E, Berni J, Rezaval C, Pérez Santángelo A, Nadra A, et al. Circadian period integrates network information through activation of the BMP signaling pathway. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001733 pubmed publisher..We propose that coherence in the circadian network arises from integration in PDF neurons of both the pace of the cell-autonomous molecular clock and information derived from circadian-relevant neurons through release of BMP ligands. ..
- Pekkurnaz G, Trinidad J, Wang X, Kong D, Schwarz T. Glucose regulates mitochondrial motility via Milton modification by O-GlcNAc transferase. Cell. 2014;158:54-68 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that, by dynamically regulating Milton GlcNAcylation, OGT tailors mitochondrial dynamics in neurons based on nutrient availability. ..
- Zhang Z, Feng J, Pan C, Lv X, Wu W, Zhou Z, et al. Atrophin-Rpd3 complex represses Hedgehog signaling by acting as a corepressor of CiR. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:575-83 pubmed publisher..Here, we used Drosophila melanogaster and zebrafish models to define a repressor function of Atrophin (Atro) in Hh signaling...
- Devorkin L, Go N, Hou Y, Moradian A, Morin G, Gorski S. The Drosophila effector caspase Dcp-1 regulates mitochondrial dynamics and autophagic flux via SesB. J Cell Biol. 2014;205:477-92 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a new mitochondrial-associated molecular link between nonapoptotic caspase function and autophagy regulation in vivo. ..
- Harrop T, Sztal T, Lumb C, Good R, Daborn P, Batterham P, et al. Evolutionary changes in gene expression, coding sequence and copy-number at the Cyp6g1 locus contribute to resistance to multiple insecticides in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e84879 pubmed publisher..In some populations, resistance has evolved to multiple pesticides. In Drosophila melanogaster, resistance to multiple classes of insecticide is due to the overexpression of a single cytochrome P450 ..
- El Sharnouby S, Redhouse J, White R. Genome-wide and cell-specific epigenetic analysis challenges the role of polycomb in Drosophila spermatogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003842 pubmed publisher..The lack of Polycomb at tTAF-dependent spermatogenesis genes in precursor cells argues against a model where Polycomb displacement is the mechanism of spermatogenesis gene activation. ..