Genomes and Genes
red harvester ant
Alias: Pogonomyrmex barbatus, Pogonomyrmex barbatus (Smith, 1858), Pogonomyrmex barbatus var. fuscatus
- Gordon D, Dektar K, Pinter Wollman N. Harvester ant colony variation in foraging activity and response to humidity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63363 pubmed publisher..Here we examine variation among colonies in the foraging behavior of the harvester ant, Pogonomyrmex barbatus. Previous work shows how colonies regulate foraging in response to food availability and desiccation costs:..
- Udiani O, Pinter Wollman N, Kang Y. Identifying robustness in the regulation of collective foraging of ant colonies using an interaction-based model with backward bifurcation. J Theor Biol. 2015;367:61-75 pubmed publisher..We validate the model with experimental data from harvester ants (Pogonomyrmex barbatus) and perform sensitivity analysis...
- Engsontia P, Sangket U, Robertson H, Satasook C. Diversification of the ant odorant receptor gene family and positive selection on candidate cuticular hydrocarbon receptors. BMC Res Notes. 2015;8:380 pubmed publisher..These were used, together with Or genes from Camponotus floridanus, Harpegnathos saltator, Pogonomyrmex barbatus, Linepithema humile, Cerapachys biroi, Solenopsis invicta and Apis mellifera, in molecular evolution ..
- Nguyen A, Gotelli N, Cahan S. The evolution of heat shock protein sequences, cis-regulatory elements, and expression profiles in the eusocial Hymenoptera. BMC Evol Biol. 2016;16:15 pubmed publisher..For the inducible homologues, the more thermally tolerant species, Pogonomyrmex barbatus, had greater Hsp basal expression and induction in response to heat stress than did the less thermally ..
- Ãlvarez Espino R, RÃos Casanova L, GodÃnez Ãlvarez H. Seed removal in a tropical North American desert: an evaluation of pre- and post-dispersal seed removal in Stenocereus stellatus. Plant Biol (Stuttg). 2017;19:469-474 pubmed publisher..b>Pogonomyrmex barbatus was probably the main ant removing seeds from soil...
- Burgess R, Davis R, Edwards D. Lead bioaccumulation in Texas Harvester Ants (Pogonomyrmex barbatus) and toxicological implications for Texas Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma cornutum) populations of Bexar County, Texas. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2018;25:8012-8026 pubmed publisher..Soils, harvester ants, and rinse water from the ants were analyzed at 11 Texas Harvester Ant (Pogonomyrmex barbatus) mounds. Soil concentrations at the harvester ant mounds ranged from 13 to 7474 mg/kg of lead dry weight...
- Hernández Flores J, Osorio Beristain M, Martinez Garza C. Ant Foraging As an Indicator of Tropical Dry Forest Restoration. Environ Entomol. 2016;45:991-4 pubmed publisher..Foraging performance by granivorous, Pogonomyrmex barbatus, ants was diminished after 6 and 8 years of cattle grazing and wood harvest were excluded as part of a ..
- Privman E, Wurm Y, Keller L. Duplication and concerted evolution in a master sex determiner under balancing selection. Proc Biol Sci. 2013;280:20122968 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that concerted evolution plays an adaptive role in the evolution of this gene family...
- Zhang Z, Zhu S. Comparative genomics analysis of five families of antimicrobial peptide-like genes in seven ant species. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;38:262-74 pubmed publisher..Our work not only enlarges the insect AMP resource, but also sheds light on the complexity and dynamic evolution of AMPs in ants...
- Ingram K, Oefner P, Gordon D. Task-specific expression of the foraging gene in harvester ants. Mol Ecol. 2005;14:813-8 pubmed publisher..We cloned the red harvester ant (Pogonomyrmex barbatus) ortholog (Pbfor) to foraging, one of few genes implicated in social organization, and found that foraging ..