Genomes and Genes
Florida carpenter ant
Alias: Camponotus floridanus, Camponotus floridana, Camponotus floridanus (Buckley, 1866)
- Glastad K, Hunt B, Goodisman M. DNA methylation and chromatin organization in insects: insights from the Ant Camponotus floridanus. Genome Biol Evol. 2015;7:931-42 pubmed publisher..We investigated associations between DNA methylation and histone modifications in the genome of the ant Camponotus floridanus in order to provide insight into how different epigenetic systems interact to affect gene function...
- Engsontia P, Sangket U, Robertson H, Satasook C. Diversification of the ant odorant receptor gene family and positive selection on candidate cuticular hydrocarbon receptors. BMC Res Notes. 2015;8:380 pubmed publisher..These were used, together with Or genes from Camponotus floridanus, Harpegnathos saltator, Pogonomyrmex barbatus, Linepithema humile, Cerapachys biroi, Solenopsis invicta ..
- Sharma K, Enzmann B, Schmidt Y, Moore D, Jones G, Parker J, et al. Cuticular Hydrocarbon Pheromones for Social Behavior and Their Coding in the Ant Antenna. Cell Rep. 2015;12:1261-71 pubmed publisher..of cuticular hydrocarbons (CHCs) by female-specific olfactory sensilla basiconica on the antenna of Camponotus floridanus ants through the utilization of one of the largest family of odorant receptors characterized so far in ..
- Glastad K, Goodisman M, Yi S, Hunt B. Effects of DNA Methylation and Chromatin State on Rates of Molecular Evolution in Insects. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;6:357-63 pubmed publisher..disparate insects: the fly Drosophila melanogaster, which lacks substantial DNA methylation, and the ant Camponotus floridanus, which possesses a functional DNA methylation system...
- Wang Y, Zuber R, Laudahn A, Berger J, Moussian B. Cuticular body hairs mediate clumping of small Camponotus floridanus larvae. Arthropod Struct Dev. 2017;46:108-115 pubmed publisher..Here, we report on our studies on hairs at the surface of larvae of the ant species Camponotus floridanus and Camponotus sericeiventris...
- Kupper M, Stigloher C, Feldhaar H, Gross R. Distribution of the obligate endosymbiont Blochmannia floridanus and expression analysis of putative immune genes in ovaries of the carpenter ant Camponotus floridanus. Arthropod Struct Dev. 2016;45:475-487 pubmed publisherThe bacterial endosymbiont Blochmannia floridanus of the carpenter ant Camponotus floridanus contributes to its hosts' ontogeny via nutritional upgrading during metamorphosis...
- Seid M, Junge E. Social isolation and brain development in the ant Camponotus floridanus. Naturwissenschaften. 2016;103:42 pubmed publisher..This study examines the impact of social isolation on the development of mushroom bodies of the ant Camponotus floridanus. Ants raised in isolation were shown to exhibit impairment in the growth of the mushroom bodies as well as ..
- Konorov E, Nikitin M, Mikhailov K, Lysenkov S, Belenky M, Chang P, et al. Genomic exaptation enables Lasius niger adaptation to urban environments. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:39 pubmed publisher..of all ants - and we compare it with the genomes of other ant species, including the closely related Camponotus floridanus. Sequences from 272 M Illumina reads were assembled into 41,406 contigs with total length of 245 MB, and ..
- Entler B, Cannon J, Seid M. Morphine addiction in ants: a new model for self-administration and neurochemical analysis. J Exp Biol. 2016;219:2865-2869 pubmed..The ant species Camponotus floridanus actively seeks and self-administers morphine even in the absence of caloric value or additional natural ..
- Penn H, Chapman E, Harwood J. Overcoming PCR Inhibition During DNA-Based Gut Content Analysis of Ants. Environ Entomol. 2016;45:1255-1261 pubmed..Solenopsis invicta Buren, and Camponotus floridanus (Buckley)). No body segment, other than the gaster, caused significant inhibition...
- Ratzka C, F rster F, Liang C, Kupper M, Dandekar T, Feldhaar H, et al. Molecular characterization of antimicrobial peptide genes of the carpenter ant Camponotus floridanus. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43036 pubmed publisher..Here, we report on the characterization of three AMPs from the carpenter ant Camponotus floridanus. Due to sequence similarities and amino acid composition these peptides can be classified into the ..
- Privman E, Wurm Y, Keller L. Duplication and concerted evolution in a master sex determiner under balancing selection. Proc Biol Sci. 2013;280:20122968 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that concerted evolution plays an adaptive role in the evolution of this gene family...
- Alvarado S, Rajakumar R, Abouheif E, Szyf M. Epigenetic variation in the Egfr gene generates quantitative variation in a complex trait in ants. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6513 pubmed publisher..Here we show that, in the carpenter ant Camponotus floridanus, global (genome-wide) DNA methylation indirectly regulates quantitative methylation of the conserved cell-..
- Zhang Z, Zhu S. Comparative genomics analysis of five families of antimicrobial peptide-like genes in seven ant species. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;38:262-74 pubmed publisher..Our work not only enlarges the insect AMP resource, but also sheds light on the complexity and dynamic evolution of AMPs in ants...