Genomes and Genes
Trypanosoma brucei TREU927
Alias: Trypanosoma brucei strain TREU927
Publications109 found, 100 shown here
- Fang J, Rohloff P, Miranda K, Docampo R. Ablation of a small transmembrane protein of Trypanosoma brucei (TbVTC1) involved in the synthesis of polyphosphate alters acidocalcisome biogenesis and function, and leads to a cytokinesis defect. Biochem J. 2007;407:161-70 pubmed..A decrease in the poly P content would lead to osmotic sensitivity and defects in cytokinesis. ..
- Gale M, Parsons M. A Trypanosoma brucei gene family encoding protein kinases with catalytic domains structurally related to Nek1 and NIMA. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1993;59:111-21 pubmed..NrkA and NrkB possess multiple phosphorylation site motifs. Both nrk transcripts are constitutively expressed during parasite development. ..
- Gamarro F, Yu P, Zhao J, Edman U, Greene P, Santi D. Trypanosoma brucei dihydrofolate reductase-thymidylate synthase: gene isolation and expression and characterization of the enzyme. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1995;72:11-22 pubmed..The T. brucei DHFR has Ki values for antimicrobial antifolates pyrimethamine and trimethoprim which are significantly lower than the closely related T. cruzi or L. major DHFRs or than human DHFR. ..
- Roper J, Guther M, Milne K, Ferguson M. Galactose metabolism is essential for the African sleeping sickness parasite Trypanosoma brucei. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:5884-9 pubmed..The results show that enzymes and transporters involved in galactose metabolism may be considered as potential therapeutic targets against African trypanosomiasis. ..
- Wang M, Gheiratmand L, He C. An interplay between Centrin2 and Centrin4 on the bi-lobed structure in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Microbiol. 2012;83:1153-61 pubmed publisher..These results thus suggest a co-ordinated action between these two centrin proteins, where the cell cycle-dependent TbCentrin4 expression could regulate the abundance of TbCentrin2 on the bi-lobed structure. ..
- Chang T, Milne K, Güther M, Smith T, Ferguson M. Cloning of Trypanosoma brucei and Leishmania major genes encoding the GlcNAc-phosphatidylinositol de-N-acetylase of glycosylphosphatidylinositol biosynthesis that is essential to the African sleeping sickness parasite. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:50176-82 pubmed..These results suggest that the stabilities of other glycosylphosphatidylinositol pathway enzymes are not dependent on GlcNAc-PI de-N-acetylase levels. ..
- Nozaki T, Haynes P, Cross G. Characterization of the Trypanosoma brucei homologue of a Trypanosoma cruzi flagellum-adhesion glycoprotein. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1996;82:245-55 pubmed..Fla1 from both life-cycle stages is N-glycosylated. Fla1 from bloodstream-form T. brucei contains additional glycans, which can be liberated by treatment with mild acid, suggestive of phosphodiester linkages. ..
- Zhang J, Ruyechan W, Williams N. Developmental regulation of two nuclear RNA binding proteins, p34 and p37, from Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1998;92:79-88 pubmed..In bloodstream form p37 protein does correlate with the relative abundance of the steady state mRNA level. The two proteins have been localized to the nucleus by immunofluorescent confocal microscopy and subcellular fractionation. ..
- Cole D, Diener D, Himelblau A, Beech P, Fuster J, Rosenbaum J. Chlamydomonas kinesin-II-dependent intraflagellar transport (IFT): IFT particles contain proteins required for ciliary assembly in Caenorhabditis elegans sensory neurons. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:993-1008 pubmed
- Engel M, Ray D. The kinetoplast structure-specific endonuclease I is related to the 5' exo/endonuclease domain of bacterial DNA polymerase I and colocalizes with the kinetoplast topoisomerase II and DNA polymerase beta during replication. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:8455-60 pubmed
- Barry J, McCulloch R. Antigenic variation in trypanosomes: enhanced phenotypic variation in a eukaryotic parasite. Adv Parasitol. 2001;49:1-70 pubmed
- Schnaufer A, Clark Walker G, Steinberg A, Stuart K. The F1-ATP synthase complex in bloodstream stage trypanosomes has an unusual and essential function. EMBO J. 2005;24:4029-40 pubmed
- Lee J, Nguyen T, Schimanski B, GUNZL A. Spliced leader RNA gene transcription in Trypanosoma brucei requires transcription factor TFIIH. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:641-9 pubmed..Since we also identified orthologues of the TFIIH subunits XPB, p52/TFB2, and p44/SSL1 copurifying with TbXPD, we concluded that the parasite harbors a TFIIH which is indispensable for SL RNA gene transcription. ..
- Luz Ambrósio D, Lee J, Panigrahi A, Nguyen T, Cicarelli R, GUNZL A. Spliceosomal proteomics in Trypanosoma brucei reveal new RNA splicing factors. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:990-1000 pubmed publisher..Together, these data strongly indicate that most of the identified proteins are components of the spliceosome. ..
- Denninger V, Fullbrook A, Bessat M, Ersfeld K, Rudenko G. The FACT subunit TbSpt16 is involved in cell cycle specific control of VSG expression sites in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Microbiol. 2010;78:459-74 pubmed publisher..The chromatin remodeler FACT is therefore implicated in maintenance of repressed chromatin present at silent VSG ES promoters, but is also essential for chromosome segregation presumably through maintenance of functional centromeres. ..
- Ismaili N, Perez Morga D, Walsh P, Mayeda A, Pays A, Tebabi P, et al. Characterization of a SR protein from Trypanosoma brucei with homology to RNA-binding cis-splicing proteins. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1999;102:103-15 pubmed..These and other observations suggest that TSR1 may be involved in trans-splicing in T. brucei. ..
- Garami A, Ilg T. The role of phosphomannose isomerase in Leishmania mexicana glycoconjugate synthesis and virulence. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:6566-75 pubmed..L. mexicana Delta lmexpmi provides the first conditional mannose-controlled system for parasite glycoconjugate assembly with potential applications for the investigation of their biosynthesis, intracellular sorting, and function. ..
- Kohl L, Robinson D, Bastin P. Novel roles for the flagellum in cell morphogenesis and cytokinesis of trypanosomes. EMBO J. 2003;22:5336-46 pubmed..We show that flagellum elongation controls formation of cytoskeletal structures (present in the cell body) that act as molecular organizers of the cell. ..
- Downey N, Hines J, Sinha K, Ray D. Mitochondrial DNA ligases of Trypanosoma brucei. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:765-74 pubmed..Closely related pairs of mitochondrial DNA ligase genes were also identified in Leishmania major and Crithidia fasciculata. ..
- Jones D, Mehlert A, Guther M, Ferguson M. Deletion of the glucosidase II gene in Trypanosoma brucei reveals novel N-glycosylation mechanisms in the biosynthesis of variant surface glycoprotein. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:35929-42 pubmed
- Li C, Irmer H, Gudjonsdottir Planck D, Freese S, Salm H, Haile S, et al. Roles of a Trypanosoma brucei 5'->3' exoribonuclease homolog in mRNA degradation. RNA. 2006;12:2171-86 pubmed..We conclude that in trypanosomes 5'-->3' exonuclease activity is important in degradation of highly unstable, regulated mRNAs, but that for other mRNAs another step is more important in determining the decay rate. ..
- Vaughan S, Kohl L, Ngai I, Wheeler R, Gull K. A repetitive protein essential for the flagellum attachment zone filament structure and function in Trypanosoma brucei. Protist. 2008;159:127-36 pubmed..The cytokinesis defects provide further evidence for the role of an attached flagellum in cellular morphogenesis in these trypanosomes. ..
- Gale M, Carter V, Parsons M. Translational control mediates the developmental regulation of the Trypanosoma brucei Nrk protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:31659-65 pubmed..Thus, Nrk is under translational control. The strict developmental regulation of the Nrk enzymes within the trypanosome life cycle suggests that the Nrk protein kinase may play a role in parasite differentiation. ..
- Das A, Peterson G, Kanner S, Frevert U, Parsons M. A major tyrosine-phosphorylated protein of Trypanosoma brucei is a nucleolar RNA-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:15675-81 pubmed..These studies suggest that Nopp44/46 may play a role in RNA metabolism in trypanosomes and raise the possibility that tyrosine phosphorylation may regulate the process. ..
- Ingram A, Cross G, Horn D. Genetic manipulation indicates that ARD1 is an essential N(alpha)-acetyltransferase in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2000;111:309-17 pubmed..cerevisiae, ARD1 is an essential gene in T. brucei. We propose that protein modification by ARD1 is essential for viability in mammalian and insect-stage T. brucei cells. ..
- Hammarton T, Clark J, Douglas F, Boshart M, Mottram J. Stage-specific differences in cell cycle control in Trypanosoma brucei revealed by RNA interference of a mitotic cyclin. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:22877-86 pubmed..This indicates that there are fundamental differences in cell cycle controls between life cycle forms of T. brucei and that key cell cycle checkpoints present in higher eukaryotes are absent from trypanosomes. ..
- Saxowsky T, Choudhary G, Klingbeil M, Englund P. Trypanosoma brucei has two distinct mitochondrial DNA polymerase beta enzymes. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:49095-101 pubmed
- Colasante C, Robles A, Li C, Schwede A, Benz C, Voncken F, et al. Regulated expression of glycosomal phosphoglycerate kinase in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2007;151:193-204 pubmed..We also found that production of mRNAs using T7 polymerase can affect the apparent half-life, and that large amounts of CAT enzyme may be toxic in trypanosomes. ..
- Zhao Z, Lindsay M, Roy Chowdhury A, Robinson D, Englund P. p166, a link between the trypanosome mitochondrial DNA and flagellum, mediates genome segregation. EMBO J. 2008;27:143-54 pubmed..Thus, p166 is the first reported molecular component of the TAC, and its discovery will facilitate study of kDNA segregation machinery at the molecular level. ..
- Bastin P, Sherwin T, Gull K. Paraflagellar rod is vital for trypanosome motility. Nature. 1998;391:548 pubmed
- Estevez A, Kierszenbaum F, Wirtz E, Bringaud F, Grunstein J, Simpson L. Knockout of the glutamate dehydrogenase gene in bloodstream Trypanosoma brucei in culture has no effect on editing of mitochondrial mRNAs. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1999;100:5-17 pubmed
- Li Z, Zou C, Yao Y, Hoyt M, McDonough S, Mackey Z, et al. An easily dissociated 26 S proteasome catalyzes an essential ubiquitin-mediated protein degradation pathway in Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:15486-98 pubmed..The T. brucei 11 S regulator (PA26)-deficient RNA interference cells grew normally, suggesting the dispensability of activated 20 S proteasome in T. brucei. ..
- Maslov D, Zíková A, Kyselová I, Lukes J. A putative novel nuclear-encoded subunit of the cytochrome c oxidase complex in trypanosomatids. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2002;125:113-25 pubmed..brucei and promastigote Leishmania mexicana amazonensis. However, the trCOIV gene, the mRNA and the polypeptide could not be detected in a respiration-deficient trypanosomatid Phytomonas serpens. ..
- Li Z, Wang C. A PHO80-like cyclin and a B-type cyclin control the cell cycle of the procyclic form of Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20652-8 pubmed..This observation indicates an uncoupling between the kinetoplast and the nuclear cycle, resulting in cell division driven by kinetoplast segregation with neither a priori S phase nor mitosis in the trypanosome. ..
- McKean P, Baines A, Vaughan S, Gull K. Gamma-tubulin functions in the nucleation of a discrete subset of microtubules in the eukaryotic flagellum. Curr Biol. 2003;13:598-602 pubmed
- Moyersoen J, Choe J, Kumar A, Voncken F, Hol W, Michels P. Characterization of Trypanosoma brucei PEX14 and its role in the import of glycosomal matrix proteins. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:2059-67 pubmed..The RNA interference experiments also showed that TbPEX14 is essential for the survival of bloodstream-form and procyclic trypanosomes. These data indicate the protein's great potential as a target for selective trypanocidal drugs. ..
- Estevez A, Lehner B, Sanderson C, Ruppert T, Clayton C. The roles of intersubunit interactions in exosome stability. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34943-51 pubmed..Our results are partially consistent with the proposed model of the exosome, but indicate a different arrangement of the RNase PH proteins. ..
- Broadhead R, Dawe H, Farr H, Griffiths S, Hart S, Portman N, et al. Flagellar motility is required for the viability of the bloodstream trypanosome. Nature. 2006;440:224-7 pubmed..A postgenomic meta-analysis, comparing the evolutionarily ancient trypanosome with other eukaryotes including humans, identifies numerous trypanosome-specific flagellar proteins, suggesting new avenues for selective intervention. ..
- Lu S, Suzuki T, Iizuka N, Ohshima S, Yabu Y, Suzuki M, et al. Trypanosoma brucei vacuolar protein sorting 41 (VPS41) is required for intracellular iron utilization and maintenance of normal cellular morphology. Parasitology. 2007;134:1639-47 pubmed..The present study demonstrates that TbVPS41 plays an important role in the intracellular iron utilization system as well as in the maintenance of normal cellular morphology. ..
- Fisk J, Sayegh J, Zurita Lopez C, Menon S, Presnyak V, Clarke S, et al. A type III protein arginine methyltransferase from the protozoan parasite Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:11590-600 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies indicate that TbPRMT7 is a Type III PRMT, and its robust activity and presence in numerous complexes suggest it plays multiple roles during the complex T. brucei life cycle. ..
- Wurst M, Seliger B, Jha B, Klein C, Queiroz R, Clayton C. Expression of the RNA recognition motif protein RBP10 promotes a bloodstream-form transcript pattern in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Microbiol. 2012;83:1048-63 pubmed publisher..Tethering of RBP10 to a reporter mRNA inhibited translation, and halved the abundance of the bound mRNA. We suggest that RBP10 may prevent the expression of regulatory proteins that are specific to the procyclic form. ..
- Erdmann M, Scholz A, Melzer I, Schmetz C, Wiese M. Interacting protein kinases involved in the regulation of flagellar length. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2035-45 pubmed..This is the first time that two interacting components of a signaling cascade have been described in the genus Leishmania. Moreover, we set the stage for the analysis of reversible phosphorylation in flagellar morphogenesis...
- Serricchio M, Bütikofer P. An essential bacterial-type cardiolipin synthase mediates cardiolipin formation in a eukaryote. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E954-61 pubmed publisher..During depletion of cardiolipin synthase, the levels of cytochrome oxidase subunit IV and cytochrome c1, reflecting mitochondrial respiratory complexes IV and III, respectively, decreased progressively...
- Fairlamb A, Cerami A. Metabolism and functions of trypanothione in the Kinetoplastida. Annu Rev Microbiol. 1992;46:695-729 pubmed
- Panigrahi A, Zíková A, Dalley R, Acestor N, Ogata Y, Anupama A, et al. Mitochondrial complexes in Trypanosoma brucei: a novel complex and a unique oxidoreductase complex. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2008;7:534-45 pubmed..The relationship to divergent physiological processes in these pathogens is discussed. ..
- Couvreur B, Wattiez R, Bollen A, Falmagne P, Le Ray D, Dujardin J. Eubacterial HslV and HslU subunits homologs in primordial eukaryotes. Mol Biol Evol. 2002;19:2110-7 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge this is the first report of a eubacterial HslVU complex in eukaryotes and, consequently, of the simultaneous occurrence of both a proteasome and HslVU in living cells...
- Liang X, Liu Q, Liu L, Tschudi C, Michaeli S. Analysis of spliceosomal complexes in Trypanosoma brucei and silencing of two splicing factors Prp31 and Prp43. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2006;145:29-39 pubmed..We identified a 45S complex carrying pre-mRNA and all the U-snRNAs, including U1 and the SL RNA, suggesting that a single spliceosomal complex may potentially conduct both trans- and cis-splicing. ..
- Wickstead B, Gull K. A "holistic" kinesin phylogeny reveals new kinesin families and predicts protein functions. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1734-43 pubmed..Finally, we present a set of hidden Markov models that can reliably place most new kinesin sequences into families, even when from an organism at a great evolutionary distance from those in the analysis. ..
- Wickstead B, Gull K. Dyneins across eukaryotes: a comparative genomic analysis. Traffic. 2007;8:1708-21 pubmed..One diatom species builds motile axonemes without any inner-arm dyneins (IAD), and the unexpected conservation of IAD I1 in non-flagellate algae and LC8 (DYNLL1/2) in all lineages reveals a surprising fluidity to dynein function. ..
- Kolev N, Ramey Butler K, Cross G, Ullu E, Tschudi C. Developmental progression to infectivity in Trypanosoma brucei triggered by an RNA-binding protein. Science. 2012;338:1352-3 pubmed publisher..Thus, events leading to acquisition of infectivity in the insect vector are now accessible to laboratory investigation, providing an opening for new intervention strategies...
- DeGrasse J, DuBois K, Devos D, Siegel T, Sali A, Field M, et al. Evidence for a shared nuclear pore complex architecture that is conserved from the last common eukaryotic ancestor. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009;8:2119-30 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly support the hypothesis that NPCs share a common ancestry with vesicle coating complexes and that both were established very early in eukaryotic evolution. ..
- Zhou Q, Liu B, Sun Y, He C. A coiled-coil- and C2-domain-containing protein is required for FAZ assembly and cell morphology in Trypanosoma brucei. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3848-58 pubmed publisher..Together, our data support a direct function of FAZ assembly in determining new daughter cell length by regulating subpellicular microtubule synthesis. ..
- Ziegelbauer K, Multhaup G, Overath P. Molecular characterization of two invariant surface glycoproteins specific for the bloodstream stage of Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:10797-803 pubmed..They can be detected in all T. brucei brucei variant clones investigated. Both polypeptides are distributed over the entire surface of the parasite. ..
- Bülow R, Overath P. Purification and characterization of the membrane-form variant surface glycoprotein hydrolase of Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:11918-23 pubmed..Reconstitution experiments into phospholipid vesicles show that the enzyme can hydrolyze mfVSG when present in the same phospholipid bilayer but not when present in separate bilayers. ..
- Wilson K, Berens R, Sifri C, Ullman B. Amplification of the inosinate dehydrogenase gene in Trypanosoma brucei gambiense due to an increase in chromosome copy number. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:28979-87 pubmed..brucei become resistant to cytotoxic drugs, and the amplification of the 6.0-Mb chromosome represents a novel mechanism of drug resistance in parasitic protozoa. ..
- Acosta Serrano A, Vassella E, Liniger M, Kunz Renggli C, Brun R, Roditi I, et al. The surface coat of procyclic Trypanosoma brucei: programmed expression and proteolytic cleavage of procyclin in the tsetse fly. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:1513-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that one function of the protease-resistant C-terminal domain, containing the amino acid repeats, is to protect the parasite surface from digestive enzymes in the tsetse fly gut. ..
- Estevez A, Kempf T, Clayton C. The exosome of Trypanosoma brucei. EMBO J. 2001;20:3831-9 pubmed..8S rRNA maturation. We suggest that the exosome was present in primitive eukaryotes, and became increasingly complex during subsequent evolution. ..
- Hendriks E, Robinson D, Hinkins M, Matthews K. A novel CCCH protein which modulates differentiation of Trypanosoma brucei to its procyclic form. EMBO J. 2001;20:6700-11 pubmed..TbZFP1 and tbZFP2 represent the first molecules implicated in the control of trypanosome differentiation to the procyclic form. ..
- Li Z, Wang C. Functional characterization of the 11 non-ATPase subunit proteins in the trypanosome 19 S proteasomal regulatory complex. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42686-93 pubmed..This structural dispensability but functional indispensability of Rpn10 may constitute another unique aspect of the proteasomes in T. brucei. ..
- Hendriks E, Abdul Razak A, Matthews K. tbCPSF30 depletion by RNA interference disrupts polycistronic RNA processing in Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26870-8 pubmed..This study is the first to identify and characterize a core component of the T. brucei CPSF and show its involvement in polycistronic RNA processing. ..
- Webb H, Burns R, Ellis L, Kimblin N, Carrington M. Developmentally regulated instability of the GPI-PLC mRNA is dependent on a short-lived protein factor. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:1503-12 pubmed..Thus, the effect of protein synthesis inhibitors in stabilizing the GPI-PLC mRNA operates in trans through a short-lived factor dependent on protein synthesis. ..
- Horváth A, Horakova E, Dunajcíková P, Verner Z, Pravdova E, Slapetova I, et al. Downregulation of the nuclear-encoded subunits of the complexes III and IV disrupts their respective complexes but not complex I in procyclic Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Microbiol. 2005;58:116-30 pubmed..The apparent absence in T. brucei procyclics of a supercomplex composed of complexes I and III may represent an ancestral state of the respiratory chain. ..
- Pelletier M, Pasternack D, Read L. In vitro and in vivo analysis of the major type I protein arginine methyltransferase from Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2005;144:206-17 pubmed..brucei. The strong conservation of PRMT1 homologs between protozoa and humans highlights the importance of arginine methylation as a regulatory mechanism in eukaryotes. ..
- Janzen C, Hake S, Lowell J, Cross G. Selective di- or trimethylation of histone H3 lysine 76 by two DOT1 homologs is important for cell cycle regulation in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Cell. 2006;23:497-507 pubmed..We propose that DOT1A and DOT1B influence the trypanosome cell cycle by regulating the degree of H3K76 methylation. ..
- Luu V, Brems S, Hoheisel J, Burchmore R, Guilbride D, Clayton C. Functional analysis of Trypanosoma brucei PUF1. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2006;150:340-9 pubmed..Alternatively, PUF proteins may be needed in differentiating trypanosomes or in non-culturable life-cycle stages. ..
- Stephens J, Lee S, Paul K, Englund P. Mitochondrial fatty acid synthesis in Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:4427-36 pubmed..Trypanosomes employ two FAS systems: the unconventional ELO pathway that synthesizes bulk fatty acids and a mitochondrial pathway that synthesizes specialized fatty acids that are likely utilized intramitochondrially. ..
- Li Z, Gourguechon S, Wang C. Tousled-like kinase in a microbial eukaryote regulates spindle assembly and S-phase progression by interacting with Aurora kinase and chromatin assembly factors. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3883-94 pubmed..In summary, TLK1 cooperates with Aurora kinase to regulate spindle assembly and chromosome segregation, and it performs a role in DNA replication probably by regulating histone modification in trypanosomes. ..
- Absalon S, Blisnick T, Kohl L, Toutirais G, Doré G, Julkowska D, et al. Intraflagellar transport and functional analysis of genes required for flagellum formation in trypanosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:929-44 pubmed..Two PIFT proteins turned out to be required for retrograde transport and three for anterograde transport. Finally, flagellum membrane elongation continues despite the absence of axonemal microtubules in all IFT/PIFT mutant. ..
- Wilkinson S, Taylor M, Horn D, Kelly J, Cheeseman I. A mechanism for cross-resistance to nifurtimox and benznidazole in trypanosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:5022-7 pubmed publisher..This potential for drug resistance by a simple mechanism has important implications, because nifurtimox is currently undergoing phase III clinical trials against African trypanosomiasis. ..
- Comini M, Rettig J, Dirdjaja N, Hanschmann E, Berndt C, Krauth Siegel R. Monothiol glutaredoxin-1 is an essential iron-sulfur protein in the mitochondrion of African trypanosomes. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27785-98 pubmed publisher..The results point to an essential role of the mitochondrial 1-C-Grx1 in the iron metabolism of these parasites. ..
- Absalon S, Blisnick T, Bonhivers M, Kohl L, Cayet N, Toutirais G, et al. Flagellum elongation is required for correct structure, orientation and function of the flagellar pocket in Trypanosoma brucei. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3704-16 pubmed publisher..We propose a model to explain the role of flagellum elongation in correct flagellar pocket organisation and function. ..
- Zíková A, Schnaufer A, Dalley R, Panigrahi A, Stuart K. The F(0)F(1)-ATP synthase complex contains novel subunits and is essential for procyclic Trypanosoma brucei. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000436 pubmed publisher..Hence, the two novel proteins appear essential for the structural organization of the functional complex and regulation of mitochondrial energy generation in these organisms is more complicated than previously thought. ..
- Izquierdo L, Schulz B, Rodrigues J, GÃ¼ther M, Procter J, Barton G, et al. Distinct donor and acceptor specificities of Trypanosoma brucei oligosaccharyltransferases. EMBO J. 2009;28:2650-61 pubmed publisher..However, both were independently essential for parasite growth in mice, suggesting that inhibiting protein N-glycosylation could have therapeutic potential against trypanosomiasis. ..
- Vigueira P, Paul K. Requirement for acetyl-CoA carboxylase in Trypanosoma brucei is dependent upon the growth environment. Mol Microbiol. 2011;80:117-32 pubmed publisher..However, ACC RNAi did attenuate virulence in a mouse model of infection. Thus the requirement for ACC in T. brucei is dependent upon the growth environment in two different life cycle stages. ..
- Rettig J, Wang Y, Schneider A, Ochsenreiter T. Dual targeting of isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase in Trypanosoma brucei is mediated through alternative trans-splicing. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:1299-306 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the shorter spliced variant is translated to a cytosol-specific isoform lacking the presequence. Furthermore, we show that RNA stability is one mechanism determining the differential abundance of the two spliced isoforms. ..
- Hu L, Hu H, Li Z. A kinetoplastid-specific kinesin is required for cytokinesis and for maintenance of cell morphology in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Microbiol. 2012;83:565-78 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest an essential role of TbKIN-C in maintaining cell morphology, likely through regulating microtubule dynamics at the posterior end of the cell. ..
- de Graffenried C, Anrather D, Von Raußendorf F, Warren G. Polo-like kinase phosphorylation of bilobe-resident TbCentrin2 facilitates flagellar inheritance in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1947-63 pubmed publisher..Mutation of S54 leads to slow growth (S54A) or no growth (S54D), the latter suggesting that dephosphorylation is needed to complete bilobe duplication and subsequent downstream events necessary for flagellum inheritance. ..
- Scott V, Sherwin T, Gull K. gamma-tubulin in trypanosomes: molecular characterisation and localisation to multiple and diverse microtubule organising centres. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 2):157-68 pubmed..Our results indicate that gamma-tubulin is associated with diverse microtubule organising centres and structures in trypanosomes. ..
- Ridgley E, Webster P, Patton C, Ruben L. Calmodulin-binding properties of the paraflagellar rod complex from Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2000;109:195-201 pubmed
- Walrad P, Paterou A, Acosta Serrano A, Matthews K. Differential trypanosome surface coat regulation by a CCCH protein that co-associates with procyclin mRNA cis-elements. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000317 pubmed publisher..Combined with the known association of TbZFP3 with the translational apparatus, this study provides a long-sought missing link between surface protein cis-regulatory signals and the gene expression machinery in trypanosomes. ..
- Ralston K, Lerner A, Diener D, Hill K. Flagellar motility contributes to cytokinesis in Trypanosoma brucei and is modulated by an evolutionarily conserved dynein regulatory system. Eukaryot Cell. 2006;5:696-711 pubmed
- Maier A, Webb H, Ding M, Bremser M, Carrington M, Clayton C. The coatomer of Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2001;115:55-61 pubmed..The trypanosome coatomer complex was partially purified using a procedure similar to that used for bovine coatomer. ..
- Figueiredo L, Janzen C, Cross G. A histone methyltransferase modulates antigenic variation in African trypanosomes. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e161 pubmed publisher..We conclude that DOT1B is required to maintain strict VSG silencing and to ensure rapid transcriptional VSG switching, demonstrating that epigenetics plays an important role in regulating antigenic variation in T. brucei. ..
- Panigrahi A, Schnaufer A, Ernst N, Wang B, Carmean N, Salavati R, et al. Identification of novel components of Trypanosoma brucei editosomes. RNA. 2003;9:484-92 pubmed..Five of the proteins are interrelated, as are two others, and one is related to four previously identified editosome proteins. The implications of these findings are discussed. ..
- Martin K, Smith T. The myo-inositol-1-phosphate synthase gene is essential in Trypanosoma brucei. Biochem Soc Trans. 2005;33:983-5 pubmed..brucei and that the de novo synthesized myo-inositol is used for the formation of PI and GPI anchors. ..
- Martin K, Smith T. The glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) biosynthetic pathway of bloodstream-form Trypanosoma brucei is dependent on the de novo synthesis of inositol. Mol Microbiol. 2006;61:89-105 pubmed..These results suggest that there is a distinction between de novo synthesized myo-inositol and that from the extracellular environment. ..
- Vanhollebeke B, De Muylder G, Nielsen M, Pays A, Tebabi P, Dieu M, et al. A haptoglobin-hemoglobin receptor conveys innate immunity to Trypanosoma brucei in humans. Science. 2008;320:677-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, in humans the presence of haptoglobin-related protein has diverted the function of the trypanosome haptoglobin-hemoglobin receptor to elicit innate host immunity against the parasite. ..
- Detmer E, Hemphill A, Muller N, Seebeck T. The Trypanosoma brucei autoantigen I/6 is an internally repetitive cytoskeletal protein. Eur J Cell Biol. 1997;72:378-84 pubmed..Protein I/6 contains a non-functional EF-hand calcium binding domain and a domain of six tandemly arranged repeat units of eight amino acids length. ..