Genomes and Genes
Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv
Alias: Mycobacterium tuberculosis str. H37Rv, Mycobacterium tuberculosis strain H37Rv
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Esposito C, Carullo P, Pedone E, Graziano G, Del Vecchio P, Berisio R. Dimerisation and structural integrity of Heparin Binding Hemagglutinin A from Mycobacterium tuberculosis: implications for bacterial agglutination. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:1091-6 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that agglutination-driven cell-cell interactions do not occur via association of HBHA monomers, nor via association of HBHA dimers and open the scenario to a possible trans-dimerisation process. ..
- Chaturvedi R, Bansal K, Narayana Y, Kapoor N, Sukumar N, Togarsimalemath S, et al. The multifunctional PE_PGRS11 protein from Mycobacterium tuberculosis plays a role in regulating resistance to oxidative stress. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:30389-403 pubmed publisher..These observations clearly provide a mechanistic basis for the rescue of pathogenic Mycobacterium-infected lung epithelial cells from oxidative stress. ..
- Donà V, Rodrigue S, Dainese E, Palu G, Gaudreau L, Manganelli R, et al. Evidence of complex transcriptional, translational, and posttranslational regulation of the extracytoplasmic function sigma factor sigmaE in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:5963-71 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrate that sigma(E) not only is subjected to complex transcriptional regulation but is also controlled at the translational and posttranslational levels...
- Shin D, Yuk J, Lee H, Lee S, Son J, Harding C, et al. Mycobacterial lipoprotein activates autophagy via TLR2/1/CD14 and a functional vitamin D receptor signalling. Cell Microbiol. 2010;12:1648-65 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these results establish a previously uncharacterized signalling pathway of antimycobacterial host defence through a functional link of TLR2/1/CD14-dependent sensing to the induction of autophagy. ..
- Chen W, Biswas T, Porter V, Tsodikov O, Garneau Tsodikova S. Unusual regioversatility of acetyltransferase Eis, a cause of drug resistance in XDR-TB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9804-8 pubmed publisher..An intricate negatively charged substrate-binding pocket of Eis is a potential target of new antitubercular drugs expected to overcome aminoglycoside resistance. ..
- Birch H, Alderwick L, Bhatt A, Rittmann D, Krumbach K, Singh A, et al. Biosynthesis of mycobacterial arabinogalactan: identification of a novel alpha(1-->3) arabinofuranosyltransferase. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:1191-206 pubmed publisher..This newly discovered glycosyltransferase sheds further light on the complexities of Mycobacterium cell wall biosynthesis, such as in M. tuberculosis and related species and represents a potential new drug target...
- Kalscheuer R, Weinrick B, Veeraraghavan U, Besra G, Jacobs W. Trehalose-recycling ABC transporter LpqY-SugA-SugB-SugC is essential for virulence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:21761-6 pubmed publisher..This study reveals an unexpected accessory component involved in the formation of the mycolic acid cell envelope in mycobacteria and provides a previously unknown role for sugar transporters in bacterial pathogenesis...
- Daleke M, Cascioferro A, de Punder K, Ummels R, Abdallah A, van der Wel N, et al. Conserved Pro-Glu (PE) and Pro-Pro-Glu (PPE) protein domains target LipY lipases of pathogenic mycobacteria to the cell surface via the ESX-5 pathway. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:19024-34 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, both PE and PPE domains contain a signal required for secretion of LipY by the ESX-5 system, and these domains are proteolytically removed upon translocation. ..
- Liao S, Shang Q, Zhang X, Zhang J, Xu C, Tu X. Pup, a prokaryotic ubiquitin-like protein, is an intrinsically disordered protein. Biochem J. 2009;422:207-15 pubmed publisher..This might explain the structural distinction between Pup and other ubiquitin-like superfamily proteins. ..
- Han J, Lee J, Anandan T, Zeng M, Sripathi S, Jahng W, et al. Characterization of a chromosomal toxin-antitoxin, Rv1102c-Rv1103c system in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;400:293-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the Rv1102c-Rv1103c TA system could play a role in M. tuberculosis pathogenesis via generating bacilli that survive in the face of multidrug therapy. ..
- Yang Q, Huang F, Hu L, He Z. Physical and functional interactions between 3-methyladenine DNA glycosylase and topoisomerase I in mycobacteria. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2012;77:378-87 pubmed publisher..Several mutations in MAG that led to the loss of its interaction with and activity regulation of TopA were also characterized. The results of this study further elucidate glycosylase regulation in both M. smegmatis and M. tuberculosis...
- Veyron Churlet R, Brust B, Kremer L, Blanc Potard A. Expression of OmpATb is dependent on small membrane proteins in Mycobacterium bovis BCG. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011;91:544-8 pubmed publisher..Importantly, mutations in Rv0900 and/or Rv0901 strongly altered OmpATb expression, demonstrating that Rv0900 and Rv0901 play a regulatory role, which appears to occur at a post-transcriptional level. ..
- Iantomasi R, Sali M, Cascioferro A, Palucci I, Zumbo A, Soldini S, et al. PE_PGRS30 is required for the full virulence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Cell Microbiol. 2012;14:356-67 pubmed publisher..smegmatis, clearly demonstrating that PE_PGRS30 is an Mtb virulence factor...
- Gonzalo Asensio J, Soto C, Arbués A, Sancho J, del Carmen Menéndez M, Garcia M, et al. The Mycobacterium tuberculosis phoPR operon is positively autoregulated in the virulent strain H37Rv. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:7068-78 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss the possible role in virulence of a single point mutation found in the phoP gene from the attenuated H37Ra strain but not in virulent members of the M. tuberculosis complex. ..
- Benaroudj N, Raynal B, Miot M, Ortiz Lombardia M. Assembly and proteolytic processing of mycobacterial ClpP1 and ClpP2. BMC Biochem. 2011;12:61 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the mechanism underlying their peptidase and proteolytic activities might differ from that of other ClpP proteolytic complexes. ..
- Cadieux N, Parra M, Cohen H, Maric D, Morris S, Brennan M. Induction of cell death after localization to the host cell mitochondria by the Mycobacterium tuberculosis PE_PGRS33 protein. Microbiology. 2011;157:793-804 pubmed publisher..Considering the importance of primary necrosis in Mycobacterium tuberculosis dissemination during natural infection, the PE_PGRS33 protein may play a crucial role in the pathogenesis of tuberculosis. ..
- Colangeli R, Haq A, Arcus V, Summers E, Magliozzo R, McBride A, et al. The multifunctional histone-like protein Lsr2 protects mycobacteria against reactive oxygen intermediates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:4414-8 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis pathogenesis. In addition, evidence indicates that lsr2 is an essential gene in M. tuberculosis. Because of its essentiality, Lsr2 may represent an excellent candidate as a drug target. ..
- Ando H, Kondo Y, Suetake T, Toyota E, Kato S, Mori T, et al. Identification of katG mutations associated with high-level isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:1793-9 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our results and known mutations associated with INH resistance, we developed a new hybridization-based line probe assay for rapid detection of INH-resistant M. tuberculosis isolates. ..
- Sharp J, Cruz J, Raman S, Inouye M, Husson R, Woychik N. Growth and translation inhibition through sequence-specific RNA binding by Mycobacterium tuberculosis VapC toxin. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:12835-47 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the activity of VapC-mt4 is mechanistically distinct from other TA toxins because it appears to primarily inhibit translation through selective, stable binding to RNA. ..
- Sala C, Haouz A, Saul F, Miras I, Rosenkrands I, Alzari P, et al. Genome-wide regulon and crystal structure of BlaI (Rv1846c) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Mol Microbiol. 2009;71:1102-16 pubmed publisher..The existence of a potential regulatory loop between cell wall integrity and ATP production was previously unknown. ..
- Konar M, Alam M, Arora C, Agrawal P. WhiB2/Rv3260c, a cell division-associated protein of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv, has properties of a chaperone. FEBS J. 2012;279:2781-92 pubmed publisher..This is the first report to show that a WhiB protein has chaperone-like function; therefore, this report will have major implications in attempts to understand the role of WhiB proteins in mycobacteria, particularly in cell division...
- Pegan S, Rukseree K, Franzblau S, Mesecar A. Structural basis for catalysis of a tetrameric class IIa fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Mol Biol. 2009;386:1038-53 pubmed publisher..These concise new details offer a better understanding of the reaction mechanisms for FBAs in general and provide a structural basis for inhibitor design efforts aimed at this class of enzymes...
- Léger M, Gavalda S, Guillet V, van der Rest B, Slama N, Montrozier H, et al. The dual function of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis FadD32 required for mycolic acid biosynthesis. Chem Biol. 2009;16:510-9 pubmed publisher..A substrate analog of FadD32 inhibited not only the enzyme activity but also mycolic acid synthesis and mycobacterial growth, opening an avenue for the development of novel antimycobacterial agents. ..
- Timmers L, Ducati R, S nchez Quitian Z, Basso L, Santos D, de Azevedo W. Combining molecular dynamics and docking simulations of the cytidine deaminase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. J Mol Model. 2012;18:467-79 pubmed publisher..Our findings open up the possibility to extend this protocol to different databases in order to find new potential inhibitors for promising targets based on a rational drug design process...
- Sureka K, Sanyal S, Basu J, Kundu M. Polyphosphate kinase 2: a modulator of nucleoside diphosphate kinase activity in mycobacteria. Mol Microbiol. 2009;74:1187-97 pubmed publisher..Downregulation of ppk2 impairs survival of M. tuberculosis in macrophages, suggesting that PPK2 plays an important role in the physiology of the bacteria residing within macrophages...
- Nakano C, Ootsuka T, Takayama K, Mitsui T, Sato T, Hoshino T. Characterization of the Rv3378c gene product, a new diterpene synthase for producing tuberculosinol and (13R, S)-isotuberculosinol (nosyberkol), from the Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv genome. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:75-81 pubmed publisher..Site-directed mutagenesis of Asp into Asn, targeted at the DDXXD motif, resulted in significantly decreased enzymatic activity...
- Blasco B, Stenta M, Alonso Sarduy L, Dietler G, Peraro M, Cole S, et al. Atypical DNA recognition mechanism used by the EspR virulence regulator of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Mol Microbiol. 2011;82:251-64 pubmed publisher..These features are reminiscent of nucleoid-associated proteins and suggest a more general regulatory role for EspR than was previously suspected. ..
- Smollett K, Smith K, Kahramanoglou C, Arnvig K, Buxton R, Davis E. Global analysis of the regulon of the transcriptional repressor LexA, a key component of SOS response in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:22004-14 pubmed publisher..We have also identified novel binding sites for LexA in the promoters of genes that show no apparent DNA damage induction, show positive regulation by LexA, and those encoding small RNAs. ..
- Werlang I, Schneider C, Mendonça J, Palma M, Basso L, Santos D. Identification of Rv3852 as a nucleoid-associated protein in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Microbiology. 2009;155:2652-63 pubmed publisher..A protein-DNA binding mechanism is proposed. In addition, functional complementation studies with an Escherichia coli hns mutant reinforce the likelihood that the Rv3852 protein represents a novel NAP in M. tuberculosis. ..
- Park Y, Ryoo S, Lee S, Jnawali H, Kim C, Kim H, et al. Correlation of the phenotypic ethambutol susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with embB gene mutations in Korea. J Med Microbiol. 2012;61:529-34 pubmed publisher..0052). Three novel embB mutations at codons 399, 405 and 459 were identified in this study. These results support the hypothesis that embB mutation except for a few specific mutation types may be the main cause of EMB resistance...
- Zhang X, Chen S, Hu Z, Zhang L, Wang H. Expression and characterization of two functional methionine aminopeptidases from Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. Curr Microbiol. 2009;59:520-5 pubmed publisher..the two MetAPs in Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Rv0734 and Rv2861c genes encoding MetAPs from genome of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv were cloned and expressed in Escherichia coli...
- Zhang H, Bi L, Li C, Sun Z, Deng J, Zhang X. Mutations found in the pncA gene of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in clinical pyrazinamide-resistant isolates from a local region of China. J Int Med Res. 2009;37:1430-5 pubmed..These results show the molecular mechanism of pyrazinamide resistance in China and may also contribute towards the prevention of tuberculosis in China. ..
- Ohol Y, Goetz D, Chan K, Shiloh M, Craik C, Cox J. Mycobacterium tuberculosis MycP1 protease plays a dual role in regulation of ESX-1 secretion and virulence. Cell Host Microbe. 2010;7:210-20 pubmed publisher..As the key ESX-1 substrates ESAT-6 and CFP-10 are highly immunogenic, fine-tuning of their secretion by MycP1 may balance virulence and immune detection and be essential for successful maintenance of long-term M. tuberculosis infection. ..
- Leelaram M, Bhat A, Godbole A, Bhat R, Manjunath R, Nagaraja V. Type IA topoisomerase inhibition by clamp closure. FASEB J. 2013;27:3030-8 pubmed publisher..The unusual multistep inhibition of mycobacterial topoisomerases may facilitate lead molecule development, and the mAbs would also serve as valuable tools to probe the enzyme mechanism...
- Rossi F, Khanduja J, Bortoluzzi A, Houghton J, Sander P, Güthlein C, et al. The biological and structural characterization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis UvrA provides novel insights into its mechanism of action. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:7316-28 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis. ..
- Watanabe S, Zimmermann M, Goodwin M, Sauer U, Barry C, Boshoff H. Fumarate reductase activity maintains an energized membrane in anaerobic Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002287 pubmed publisher..This fermentative process may offer unique targets for the treatment of latent tuberculosis. ..
- Starks A, Gumusboga A, Plikaytis B, Shinnick T, Posey J. Mutations at embB codon 306 are an important molecular indicator of ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:1061-6 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that embB 306 mutations are sufficient to confer ethambutol resistance, and detection of these mutations should be considered in the development of rapid molecular tests...
- Gallagher D, Smith N, Kim S, Robinson H, Reddy P. Profound asymmetry in the structure of the cAMP-free cAMP Receptor Protein (CRP) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:8228-32 pubmed publisher..Comparison of the structures of apo MtbCRP and DNA-bound EcCRP shows how DNA binding would be inhibited in the absence of cAMP and supports a mechanism involving functional asymmetry in apoCRP. ..
- Stapleton M, Haq I, Hunt D, Arnvig K, Artymiuk P, Buxton R, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis cAMP receptor protein (Rv3676) differs from the Escherichia coli paradigm in its cAMP binding and DNA binding properties and transcription activation properties. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:7016-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, M. tuberculosis CRP has evolved several distinct characteristics, compared with the Escherichia coli CRP paradigm, to allow it to regulate gene expression against a background of high concentrations of cAMP. ..
- Wolschendorf F, Ackart D, Shrestha T, Hascall Dove L, Nolan S, Lamichhane G, et al. Copper resistance is essential for virulence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:1621-6 pubmed publisher..Hence, this study reveals an Achilles heel of Mtb that might be a promising target for tuberculosis chemotherapy...
- Gui W, Lin S, Chen Y, Zhang X, Bi L, Jiang T. Crystal structure of DNA polymerase III ? sliding clamp from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;405:272-7 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis sliding clamp and peptides derived from the ? and ? subunits of Pol III, which indicated that the LF motif also plays an important role in the binding of the ? and ? subunits to the sliding clamp of M. tuberculosis. ..
- Lack N, Kawamura A, Fullam E, Laurieri N, Beard S, Russell A, et al. Temperature stability of proteins essential for the intracellular survival of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Biochem J. 2009;418:369-78 pubmed publisher..As propionyl-CoA is a product of cholesterol catabolism, we propose that NAT could have a role in the utilization of this important cofactor. ..
- Zaczek A, Brzostek A, Augustynowicz Kopec E, Zwolska Z, Dziadek J. Genetic evaluation of relationship between mutations in rpoB and resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to rifampin. BMC Microbiol. 2009;9:10 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the identification of such mutations in a clinical M. tuberculosis strain is not enough to classify the given strain as resistant to rifampin. ..
- Beste D, Bonde B, Hawkins N, Ward J, Beale M, Noack S, et al. ¹³C metabolic flux analysis identifies an unusual route for pyruvate dissimilation in mycobacteria which requires isocitrate lyase and carbon dioxide fixation. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002091 pubmed publisher..This study also provides a platform for further studies into the metabolism of M. tuberculosis using ¹³C-MFA...
- Reddy P, Puri R, Khera A, Tyagi A. Iron storage proteins are essential for the survival and pathogenesis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in THP-1 macrophages and the guinea pig model of infection. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:567-75 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis in the host and establishes them as attractive targets for the development of new inhibitors against mycobacterial infections...
- Gurvitz A, Hiltunen J, Kastaniotis A. Identification of a novel mycobacterial 3-hydroxyacyl-thioester dehydratase, HtdZ (Rv0130), by functional complementation in yeast. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:4088-90 pubmed publisher..Mutant cells expressing HtdZ contained dehydratase activity, recovered their respiratory ability, and partially restored de novo lipoic acid synthesis...
- Chao J, Papavinasasundaram K, Zheng X, Chávez Steenbock A, Wang X, Lee G, et al. Convergence of Ser/Thr and two-component signaling to coordinate expression of the dormancy regulon in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:29239-46 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that PknH phosphorylation of DosR is required for full induction of the DosR regulon and demonstrate convergence of the two major signal transduction systems for the first time in M. tuberculosis. ..
- Sherrid A, Rustad T, Cangelosi G, Sherman D. Characterization of a Clp protease gene regulator and the reaeration response in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11622 pubmed publisher..In sum, this study defines a new transcriptional response of MTB with potential relevance to disease, and implicates ClgR as a regulator involved in resumption of replication following hypoxia. ..
- Ojha A, Trivelli X, Guerardel Y, Kremer L, Hatfull G. Enzymatic hydrolysis of trehalose dimycolate releases free mycolic acids during mycobacterial growth in biofilms. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:17380-9 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis, suggesting the presence of a TDM-specific esterase in this pathogen. Overall, this study provides the first evidence for an enzymatic release of free mycolic acids from cell envelope mycolates during mycobacterial growth. ..
- Sun L, Zhang L, Zhang H, He Z. Characterization of a bifunctional ?-lactamase/ribonuclease and its interaction with a chaperone-like protein in the pathogen Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2011;76:350-8 pubmed..However, very few ?-lactamases and their regulation have been clearly characterized in Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. In this study, a unique bifunctional protein, Rv2752c, from M...
- Khanduja J, Muniyappa K. Functional analysis of DNA replication fork reversal catalyzed by Mycobacterium tuberculosis RuvAB proteins. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:1345-60 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implications of these results in the context of recognition and processing of varied types of replication fork structures by RuvAB proteins. ..
- Santangelo M, Blanco F, Bianco M, Klepp L, Zabal O, Cataldi A, et al. Study of the role of Mce3R on the transcription of mce genes of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:38 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis. Mce3R repress the transcription of mce3 operon and self regulates its own expression but does not affect the transcription of mce1, mce2 and mce4 operons of M. tuberculosis. ..
- Ganaie A, Lella R, Solanki R, Sharma C. Thermostable hexameric form of Eis (Rv2416c) protein of M. tuberculosis plays an important role for enhanced intracellular survival within macrophages. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27590 pubmed publisher..This is the first report showing the thermostability associated with aminoglycoside acetyltransferase activity of Eis protein being one of the essential features for the execution of its biological role. ..
- Sengupta S, Ghosh S, Nagaraja V. Moonlighting function of glutamate racemase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis: racemization and DNA gyrase inhibition are two independent activities of the enzyme. Microbiology. 2008;154:2796-803 pubmed publisher..We propose that the moonlighting activity of MurI has evolved more recently than its racemase function, to play a transient yet important role in gyrase modulation. ..
- Honaker R, Leistikow R, Bartek I, Voskuil M. Unique roles of DosT and DosS in DosR regulon induction and Mycobacterium tuberculosis dormancy. Infect Immun. 2009;77:3258-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, M. tuberculosis has evolved a system whereby it responds to hypoxic conditions in a stepwise fashion as it enters an anaerobic state. ..
- Small J, O Donoghue A, Boritsch E, Tsodikov O, Knudsen G, Vandal O, et al. Substrate specificity of MarP, a periplasmic protease required for resistance to acid and oxidative stress in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:12489-99 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies provide insight into the enzymatic properties of MarP, its substrate preference, and the importance of its transmembrane helices and disulfide bond...
- Mendes V, Maranha A, Alarico S, da Costa M, Empadinhas N. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Rv2419c, the missing glucosyl-3-phosphoglycerate phosphatase for the second step in methylglucose lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis. Sci Rep. 2011;1:177 pubmed publisher..step in MGLP biosynthesis is catalyzed by a glucosyl-3-phosphoglycerate synthase (GpgS, Rv1208 in Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv). However, a typical glucosyl-3-phosphoglycerate phosphatase (GpgP, EC3.1.3...
- Yang M, Aamodt R, Dalhus B, Balasingham S, Helle I, Andersen P, et al. The ada operon of Mycobacterium tuberculosis encodes two DNA methyltransferases for inducible repair of DNA alkylation damage. DNA Repair (Amst). 2011;10:595-602 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis hypermutator strains with defective adaptive response genes might sustain robustness to cytotoxic alkylation DNA damage and confer a selective advantage contributing to host adaptation. ..
- Brzostek A, Rumijowska Galewicz A, Dziadek B, Wojcik E, Dziadek J. ChoD and HsdD can be dispensable for cholesterol degradation in mycobacteria. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;134:1-7 pubmed publisher..for cholesterol degradation in fast-growing Mycobacterium smegmatis mc(2)155 and slow-growing Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv strains...
- Zhang H, Deng J, Bi L, Zhou Y, Zhang Z, Zhang C, et al. Characterization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis nicotinamidase/pyrazinamidase. FEBS J. 2008;275:753-62 pubmed publisher..Our data show that M. tuberculosis PncA may bind metal ions in a manner different from that observed in the case of Pyrococcus horikoshii PncA. ..
- Parker S, Barkley R, Rino J, Vasil M. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Rv3802c encodes a phospholipase/thioesterase and is inhibited by the antimycobacterial agent tetrahydrolipstatin. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4281 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis pathogenesis, identification of a novel cell wall enzyme and its inhibition has therapeutic and diagnostic implications. ..
- Gupta M, Sajid A, Arora G, Tandon V, Singh Y. Forkhead-associated domain-containing protein Rv0019c and polyketide-associated protein PapA5, from substrates of serine/threonine protein kinase PknB to interacting proteins of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:34723-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data provides initial clues for a possible regulation of PapA5 and hence the phthiocerol dimycocerosate biosynthesis by PknB, either by direct phosphorylation of PapA5 or indirectly through Rv0019c. ..
- Dawson L, Dillury J, Davis E. RecA-independent DNA damage induction of Mycobacterium tuberculosis ruvC despite an appropriately located SOS box. J Bacteriol. 2010;192:599-603 pubmed publisher..Disruption of the SOS box did not prevent induction, indicating that an alternative mechanism plays a significant role in the control of ruvC expression. ..
- Pegan S, Rukseree K, Capodagli G, Baker E, Krasnykh O, Franzblau S, et al. Active site loop dynamics of a class IIa fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Biochemistry. 2013;52:912-25 pubmed publisher..Also, solvent isotope effects on MtFBA and catalytically relevant mutants were used to probe the effect of loop flexibility on catalytic efficiency. Additionally, we also reveal the structure of MtFBA in its holoenzyme form. ..
- Empadinhas N, Albuquerque L, Mendes V, Macedo Ribeiro S, da Costa M. Identification of the mycobacterial glucosyl-3-phosphoglycerate synthase. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2008;280:195-202 pubmed publisher..0, and were strictly dependent on Mg(2+). In Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv, the gene encoding GpgS (Rv1208) is identical to the homologue in Mycobacterium bovis BCG and was ..
- Parikh A, Verma S, Khan S, Prakash B, Nandicoori V. PknB-mediated phosphorylation of a novel substrate, N-acetylglucosamine-1-phosphate uridyltransferase, modulates its acetyltransferase activity. J Mol Biol. 2009;386:451-64 pubmed publisher..These findings imply a role for PknB in regulating peptidoglycan synthesis by modulating the acetyltransferase activity of GlmU. ..
- Basavannacharya C, Moody P, Munshi T, Cronin N, Keep N, Bhakta S. Essential residues for the enzyme activity of ATP-dependent MurE ligase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Protein Cell. 2010;1:1011-22 pubmed publisher..Since ATP-dependent MurE ligase is a novel drug target, the understanding of its function may lead to development of novel inhibitors against resistant forms of M. tuberculosis. ..
- Bach H, Papavinasasundaram K, Wong D, Hmama Z, Av Gay Y. Mycobacterium tuberculosis virulence is mediated by PtpA dephosphorylation of human vacuolar protein sorting 33B. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;3:316-22 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that PtpA is essential for Mtb intracellular persistence and identify a key host regulatory pathway that is inactivated by Mtb. ..
- McLean K, Carroll P, Lewis D, Dunford A, Seward H, Neeli R, et al. Characterization of active site structure in CYP121. A cytochrome P450 essential for viability of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:33406-16 pubmed publisher..Collectively, data point to an important cellular role for CYP121 and highlight its potential as a novel Mtb drug target...
- Stallings C, Stephanou N, Chu L, Hochschild A, Nickels B, Glickman M. CarD is an essential regulator of rRNA transcription required for Mycobacterium tuberculosis persistence. Cell. 2009;138:146-59 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight a distinct molecular mechanism for regulating rRNA transcription in mycobacteria that is critical for M. tuberculosis pathogenesis...
- Petrella S, Gelus Ziental N, Maudry A, Laurans C, Boudjelloul R, Sougakoff W. Crystal structure of the pyrazinamidase of Mycobacterium tuberculosis: insights into natural and acquired resistance to pyrazinamide. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e15785 pubmed publisher..Mutants have been constructed and investigated by kinetic and thermal shift assays, highlighting the importance of protein folding and thermal stability in the pyrazinamidase activity...
- Mehra S, Kaushal D. Functional genomics reveals extended roles of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis stress response factor sigmaH. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:3965-80 pubmed publisher..sigma(H) caused the induction of the ATP-dependent clp proteolysis regulon, likely mediated by a transcription factor encoded by Rv2745c, several members of the mce1 virulence regulon, and the sulfate acquisition/transport network. ..
- Podobnik M, Tyagi R, Matange N, Dermol U, Gupta A, Mattoo R, et al. A mycobacterial cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase that moonlights as a modifier of cell wall permeability. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:32846-57 pubmed publisher..Rv0805 may therefore play a key role in the pathogenicity of mycobacteria, not only by hydrolyzing bacterial cAMP, but also by moonlighting as a protein that can alter cell wall functioning. ..
- Shi D, Li L, Zhao Y, Jia Q, Li H, Coulter C, et al. Characteristics of embB mutations in multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in Henan, China. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011;66:2240-7 pubmed publisher..To determine the association between embB mutations and drug resistance, and to further investigate the mechanism of embB mutations involved in the development of ethambutol and multidrug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Raju R, Unnikrishnan M, Rubin D, Krishnamoorthy V, Kandror O, Akopian T, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis ClpP1 and ClpP2 function together in protein degradation and are required for viability in vitro and during infection. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002511 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that the Clp protease plays an unusual and essential role in Mtb and may serve as an ideal target for antimycobacterial therapy. ..
- Chauhan S, Tyagi J. Cooperative binding of phosphorylated DevR to upstream sites is necessary and sufficient for activation of the Rv3134c-devRS operon in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: implication in the induction of DevR target genes. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:4301-12 pubmed publisher..The Rv3134c and hspX promoters have a similar architecture, wherein the proximal DevR-P binding site overlaps with the promoter -35 element. A model for the likely mode of action of DevR at these promoters is discussed. ..
- Mieczkowski C, Iavarone A, Alber T. Auto-activation mechanism of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis PknB receptor Ser/Thr kinase. EMBO J. 2008;27:3186-97 pubmed publisher..These results support a model in which a structurally and functionally asymmetric, 'front-to-front' association mediates autophosphorylation of PknB and homologous kinases. ..
- Thum C, Schneider C, Palma M, Santos D, Basso L. The Rv1712 Locus from Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv codes for a functional CMP kinase that preferentially phosphorylates dCMP. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:2884-7 pubmed publisher..Steady-state kinetics confirmed that M. tuberculosis CMK is a monomer that preferentially phosphorylates CMP and dCMP by a sequential mechanism. A plausible role for CMK is discussed. ..
- Sutter M, Striebel F, Damberger F, Allain F, Weber Ban E. A distinct structural region of the prokaryotic ubiquitin-like protein (Pup) is recognized by the N-terminal domain of the proteasomal ATPase Mpa. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:3151-7 pubmed publisher..We show that the N-terminal coiled-coil domain of Mpa makes extensive contacts along the central region of Pup leaving its N-terminus unconstrained and available for other functional interactions. ..
- Volkman H, Pozos T, Zheng J, Davis J, Rawls J, Ramakrishnan L. Tuberculous granuloma induction via interaction of a bacterial secreted protein with host epithelium. Science. 2010;327:466-9 pubmed publisher..Disruption of MMP9 function attenuated granuloma formation and bacterial growth. Thus, interception of epithelial MMP9 production could hold promise as a host-targeting tuberculosis therapy...
- Rajagopalan M, Dziedzic R, Al Zayer M, Stankowska D, Ouimet M, Bastedo D, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis origin of replication and the promoter for immunodominant secreted antigen 85B are the targets of MtrA, the essential response regulator. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:15816-27 pubmed publisher..e. oriC and fbpB, reflects its main role as a coordinator between the proliferative and pathogenic functions of Mtb...
- Huang F, He Z. Characterization of an interplay between a Mycobacterium tuberculosis MazF homolog, Rv1495 and its sole DNA topoisomerase I. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:8219-30 pubmed publisher..smegmatis TopA both in vitro and in vivo. Our findings imply that MazEF systems can affect bacterial survival by a novel mechanism that allows direct modulation of M. tuberculosis topoisomerase I. ..
- Mahmood A, Srivastava S, Tripathi S, Ansari M, Owais M, Arora A. Molecular characterization of secretory proteins Rv3619c and Rv3620c from Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. FEBS J. 2011;278:341-53 pubmed publisherRv3619c and Rv3620c are the secretory, antigenic proteins of the ESAT-6/CFP-10 family of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. In this article, we show that Rv3619c interacts with Rv3620c to form a 1 : 1 heterodimeric complex with a ..
- Wang J, Huang Y, Zhang A, Zhu C, Yang Z, Xu H. DNA polymorphism of Mycobacterium tuberculosis PE_PGRS33 gene among clinical isolates of pediatric TB patients and its associations with clinical presentation. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011;91:287-92 pubmed publisher..54, 95% CI [1.11-5.84]) and patients who had positive PPD-skin test results (OR 4.26, 95% CI [1.14-12.86]), respectively. This study provides new insight into the molecular pathogenesis of pediatric TB. ..
- Pawelczyk J, Brzostek A, Kremer L, Dziadek B, Rumijowska Galewicz A, Fiolka M, et al. AccD6, a key carboxyltransferase essential for mycolic acid synthesis in Mycobacterium tuberculosis, is dispensable in a nonpathogenic strain. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:6960-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings also highlight important differences in the mechanism of acetyl carboxylation between pathogenic and nonpathogenic mycobacterial species...
- Reddy M, Palaninathan S, Bruning J, Thurman C, Smith D, Sacchettini J. Structural insights into the mechanism of the allosteric transitions of Mycobacterium tuberculosis cAMP receptor protein. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:36581-91 pubmed publisher..Together, these crystal structures demonstrate the mechanism of action of the cAMP molecule and its role in integrating the active CRP structure. ..
- Nair S, Ramaswamy P, Ghosh S, Joshi D, Pathak N, Siddiqui I, et al. The PPE18 of Mycobacterium tuberculosis interacts with TLR2 and activates IL-10 induction in macrophage. J Immunol. 2009;183:6269-81 pubmed publisher..In contrast, an M. smegmatis strain overexpressing the PPE18 induced higher levels of IL-10 in infected macrophages. Our data indicate that the PPE18 protein may trigger an anti-inflammatory response by inducing IL-10 production. ..