Alias: "Haverhillia" Parker and Hudson 1926, Haverhillia, Streptobacillus Levaditi et al. 1925, not "Streptobacillus" Ucke 1898
- Streptobacillus moniliformis endocarditisNandhakumar Balakrishnan
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1037-8. 2006
- Fulminant endocarditis caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis in a young manMarkus Kondruweit
Center of Cardiac Surgery, Friedrich Alexander University, Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:1579-80. 2007
- Streptobacillus moniliformis endocarditis: Case report and review of literatureM Madhubashini
Department of Internal Medicine and Diabetology, 439 Cheran Nagar, Perumbakkam, Global Hospitals and Health City, Chennai 600100, Tamil Nadu, India Electronic address
Indian Heart J 65:442-6. 2013..This case report describes native mitral valve endocarditis in a 44-year-old male patient caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis. The diagnosis was confirmed by transesophageal echocardiography and blood cultures (BACTEC)...
- Rat bite fever as a presenting illness in a patient with AIDSR Chean
Department of Infectious Diseases, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Rd, Clayton, Vic, 3168, Australia
Infection 40:319-21. 2012..We describe the first case of septic arthritis due to the cause of rat bite fever (RBF), Streptobacillus moniliformis, confirmed by 16S rRNA sequence analysis, in a patient with newly diagnosed HIV infection.
- Epidural abscess caused by Streptobacillus moniliformisMichael Addidle
Department of Microbiology, Pathlab Bay of Plenty, Tauranga, New Zealand
J Clin Microbiol 50:3122-4. 2012We present an interesting case of a patient who developed an epidural abscess caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis. This is the first report in the medical literature of a spinal epidural abscess associated with this organism...
- Septic arthritis and concern for osteomyelitis in a child with rat bite feverDustin D Flannery
Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware, USA
J Clin Microbiol 51:1987-9. 2013Rat bite fever is a rare infection usually caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis. A case of septic arthritis and possible osteomyelitis as sequelae of rat bite fever in a pediatric patient is described.
- Rats, cities, people, and pathogens: a systematic review and narrative synthesis of literature regarding the ecology of rat-associated zoonoses in urban centersChelsea G Himsworth
School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 13:349-59. 2013..b>Streptobacillus moniliformis), viruses (Seoul hantavirus), and parasites (Angiostrongylus cantonensis)...
- Positive Streptobacillus moniliformis PCR in guinea pigs likely due to Leptotrichia sppRon Boot
Section of Laboratory Animal Microbiology, Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, P O Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Vet Microbiol 128:395-9. 2008b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is a zoonotic bacterium. We obtained positive S. moniliformis PCR results in oral swab samples from guinea pigs from an experimental colony and the breeding colony of origin...
- Prosthetic valve endocarditis caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis: a case of rat bite feverPo Lin Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, No 138, Sheng Li Road, Tainan 704, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 45:3125-6. 2007We report a case of rat bite fever caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis in Taiwan. It manifested as prosthetic valve endocarditis, which was cured by cardiac valve replacement and antimicrobial therapy...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis septic arthritis: a clinical entity distinct from rat-bite fever?Teresa K F Wang
Department of Microbiology, Research Centre of Infection and Immunology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong
BMC Infect Dis 7:56. 2007b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is a zoonotic agent associated with rodent contacts. Although it is more commonly reported to cause rat-bite fever with reactive arthritides, it can also lead to pyogenic infection of the joints.
- Rat-bite fever: a cautionary taleRenukadas Sakalkale
Department of Medicine, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton
N Z Med J 120:U2545. 2007..He had been bitten by a rat a week earlier. Blood cultures grew Streptobacillus moniliformis, thus confirming the diagnosis. The literature on rat-bite fever is also reviewed.
- [Pet-rat bite fever and septic arthritis: molecular identification of Streptobacillus moniliformis]S Mignard
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Chemin du Grand Revoyet, 69495 Pierre Benite, France
Med Mal Infect 37:293-4. 2007..The authors report a case of septic arthritis following a pet rat bite. Streptobacillus moniliformis was identified in the knee synovial fluid and identified by 16S rRNA sequencing...
- Rat bite fever and Streptobacillus moniliformisSean P Elliott
Department of Pediatrics, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724 5073, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 20:13-22. 2007Rat bite fever, caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis, is a systemic illness classically characterized by fever, rigors, and polyarthralgias. If left untreated, it carries a mortality rate of 10%...
- Rat-bite fever septic arthritis: illustrative case and literature reviewC Dendle
Department of Infectious Diseases, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:791-7. 2006Rat-bite fever is a rare zoonotic infection caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis or Spirillum minus, which is characterised by fever, rash and arthritis...
- Detection of antibodies to Streptobacillus moniliformis in rats by an immunoblot procedureR Boot
Section of Laboratory Animal Microbiology, Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Lab Anim 40:447-55. 2006An immunoblot (IB) technique for detecting antibodies to Streptobacillus moniliformis in rat sera was evaluated. Immune sera to three S...
- Haverhill fever with spine involvementHani Abdulaziz
Division of Rheumatology, The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 33:1409-10. 2006Haverhill fever and rat-bite fever are closely-related syndromes caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis. This infection is characterized by the abrupt onset of fever with rigors, myalgias, headache, polyarthritis, and rash...
- Rat bite fever caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis in a child: human infection and rat carriage diagnosed by PCRJ M Andre
Service de Réanimation Pédiatrique, Hopital Debrousse, Hospices Civils de Lyon, 69322 Lyon cedex 5, France
J Clin Pathol 58:1215-6. 2005..b>Streptobacillus moniliformis was identified after culture of the child's blister fluid and was detected in rat samples by ..
- Rat-bite feverE van Nood
Department of Internal Medicine, Flevoziekenhuis, Almere, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 63:319-21. 2005..She possessed nine pet rats, and denied that she had been bitten. Blood culture was positive for Streptobacillus moniliformis, which can cause rat-bite fever. The patient fully recovered after treatment with clarithromycin.
- Rat bite fever mimicking rheumatoid arthritisL Legout
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Scand J Infect Dis 37:532-3. 2005We report a case of Streptobacillus moniliformis polyarthritis mimicking a rheumatoid arthritis, in a pet shop employee...
- [Zoonoses transmitted by mouse and rat maintained as laboratory or pet animals]Andre Bleich
Institut für Versuchstierkunde und Zentrales Tierlaboratorium, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 121:241-55. 2008..g. with Hantavirus (Seoul virus), Streptobacillus moniliformis, and Trichphyton mentagrophytes...
- Dogs as vectors of Streptobacillus moniliformis infection?Erik G H Wouters
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 2, 3584 CM Utrecht, The Netherlands
Vet Microbiol 128:419-22. 2008..One of the two etiological agents that cause rat bite fever is Streptobacillus moniliformis. Rat bite fever is rare and very likely under diagnosed but occurs worldwide...
- Bacterial diversity in Philippine fermented mustard (burong mustasa) as revealed by 16S rRNA gene analysisL L H Larcia
College of Pharmacy, University of the Philippines, Taft cor Pedro Gil St Malate, 1004 Manila, Philippines
Benef Microbes 2:263-71. 2011..and several uncultured bacteria (initial up to the final stages); acetic acid bacteria (middle stage); and Streptobacillus and Fusobacterium species (initial stage)...
- Characterization of β-galactoside phosphorylases with diverging acceptor specificitiesChao Chen
Centre for Industrial Biotechnology and Biocatalysis, Department of Biochemical and Microbial Technology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Enzyme Microb Technol 49:59-65. 2011..The enzymes from Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae and Streptobacillus moniliformis were found to prefer GalNAc as acceptor, while that from Anaerococcus prevotii displays similar ..
- The rise of the rats: A growing paediatric issueKarine Khatchadourian
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Paediatrics, Centre hospitalier universitaire Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec
Paediatr Child Health 15:131-4. 2010Rat bite fever (RBF), a systemic infection of Streptobacillus moniliformis or Spirillum minus characterized by fever, arthralgias and petechial-purpuric rash on the extremities, carries a mortality rate of 7% to 10% if untreated...
- Rat bite fever, a fatal case of Streptobacillus moniliformis infection in a 14-month-old boyPriya Banerjee
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of Maryland, 111 Penn St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Forensic Sci 56:531-3. 2011b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is the primary cause of rat bite fever in North America. Children under 12 years of age are primarily infected, presenting with an acute syndrome of fever, rash, and polyarthritis...
- Shell vial cell culture as a tool for Streptobacillus moniliformis "resuscitation"Severine Loridant
Unite de Recherche sur le Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales Emergentes, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, UMR 6236, Institut Federatif de Recherche 48, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:306-7. 2011b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is a fastidious growing Gram-negative bacillus responsible of rat-bite fever...
- Isolation of Streptobacillus moniliformis from the blood of a child with acute lymphoblastic leukaemiaA S De
Department of Microbiology, L T M Medical College, Sion, Mumbai, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 28:387-9. 2010This is an unusual report of isolation of Streptobacillus moniliformis from the blood of a male child with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. No history of rat bite was there, but rats were present in the house...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis bacteremia in a child: case reportRajinder M Joshi
Microbiology Unit, Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Laboratory Center, Yiaco Medical Co KSCC, Al Adan Hospital, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 19:409-11. 2010We report a case of bacteremia caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis.
- A case of septic arthritis from rat-bite fever in Hawai'iJonathan Dworkin
University of Hawai i John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, HI, USA
Hawaii Med J 69:65-7. 2010Infection associated with a rat bite has been known for centuries. Streptobacillus moniliformis is a zoonotic organism identified in the 20th century as the causative agent of most cases of rat bite fever outside of mainland Asia...
- Rat-bite fever identified by polymerase chain reaction detection of Streptobacillus moniliformis DNADaiki Nakagomi
Department of Dermatology, University of Yamanashi, Chuo shi, Yamanashi, Japan
J Dermatol 35:667-70. 2008..fever based on the symptoms and clinical course, as well as the polymerase chain reaction detection of Streptobacillus moniliformis DNA in the crust of the bite site...
- Rainfall and outbreaks of drinking water related disease and in England and WalesGordon Nichols
Environmental and Enteric Diseases Department, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, 61, Colindale Avenue, London, NW9 5EQ, UK
J Water Health 7:1-8. 2009..coli, S. Typhi, S. Paratyphi, Campylobacter and Streptobacillus moniliformis...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis as the causative agent in spondylodiscitis and psoas abscess after rooster scratchesDamien Dubois
CHU Clermont Ferrand, Centre de Biologie, Laboratoire de Bactériologie Clinique, Clermont Ferrand F 63003, France
J Clin Microbiol 46:2820-1. 2008We report a case of Streptobacillus moniliformis spondylodiscitis accompanied by a psoas abscess in an 80-year-old man scratched by a rooster. S. moniliformis was identified from abscess fluid by use of 16S rRNA gene sequencing...
- Isolation of Streptobacillus moniliformis from a pet ratNobuhito Hayashimoto
ICLAS Monitoring Center, Central Institute for Experimental Animals, Miyamae ku, Kanagawa, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 70:493-5. 2008We isolated Streptobacillus moniliformis, the causative agent of rat-bite fever in humans, from the salivary gland of a pet rat postmortem...
- Detection of Streptobacillus spp. in feral rats by specific polymerase chain reactionMasanobu Kimura
Department of Veterinary Science, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 52:9-15. 2008b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is an etiological agent of rat-bite fever and Haverhill fever in human infection...
- Bioremediation of coastal areas 5 years after the Nakhodka oil spill in the Sea of Japan: isolation and characterization of hydrocarbon-degrading bacteriaS Khodijah Chaerun
Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kakuma, Kanazawa 920 1192, Japan
Environ Int 30:911-22. 2004..a variety of morphological forms of bacteria, such as coccus (Streptococcus and Staphylococcus) and bacillus (Streptobacillus)...
- Molecular diagnosis of arthritis due to streptobacillus moniliformisFrederic Wallet
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie Hygiene, hôpital A Calmette, CHRU de Lille, Lille Cedex, France
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 47:623-4. 2003b>Streptobacillus moniliformis was identified as etiologic agent of arthritis utilizing a 16S rDNA molecular kit in our clinical laboratory...
- [Rat-bite--an infant bitten by a rat]T Mathiasen
Børneafdelingen, Aalborg Sygehus Nord
Ugeskr Laeger 155:1475-6. 1993Three days after a rat-bite a two-month-old girl developed clinical symptoms of Streptobacillus moniliformis infection, called rat-bite fever. She became seriously ill, but responded well to treatment with benzylpencillin...
- An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for monitoring rodent colonies for Streptobacillus moniliformis antibodiesR Boot
Department of Laboratory Animal Microbiology, National Institute of Public Health and Environmental Protection, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Lab Anim 27:350-7. 1993An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) to measure Streptobacillus moniliformis antibodies in mice and rats was developed. Twelve S...
- Polyarthritis in wild mice (Mus musculus) caused by Streptobacillus moniliformisJ D Taylor
Toowoomba Veterinary Laboratory, Queensland Department of Primary Industries
Aust Vet J 71:143-5. 1994..Pleomorphic bacteria were shown by silver staining to be plentiful within lesions. Streptobacillus moniliformis was isolated from the joints, and streptobacillary polyarthritis was diagnosed...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis--a zoonotic pathogen. Taxonomic considerations, host species, diagnosis, therapy, geographical distributionM Wullenweber
Central Institute for Laboratory Animal Breeding, Dept Bacteriology and Hygiene, Hannover, Germany
Lab Anim 29:1-15. 1995b>Streptobacillus moniliformis (Sm), the causative agent of rat-bite fever and Haverhill fever in man, is also a pathogen in certain laboratory and domestic animals...
- Rat-bite fever as a cause of septic arthritis: a diagnostic dilemmaR L Rumley
Section of Infectious Diseases, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina 27858 4354
Ann Rheum Dis 46:793-5. 1987Rat-bite fever results from an infection with the organism Streptobacillus moniliformis...
- Rat-bite fever in a gerbil breederE G Wilkins
Public Health Laboratory, St Mary s Hospital, Portsmouth, U K
J Infect 16:177-80. 1988A case of rat-bite fever caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis in a gerbil-breeder is described. Such a case has not been previously recorded.
- Outbreak of fever caused by Streptobacillus moniliformisM B McEvoy
Public Health Laboratory Service, Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, Colindale, London
Lancet 2:1361-3. 1987A large outbreak of streptobacillary fever, confirmed by the isolation of Streptobacillus moniliformis from blood culture, affected 304 people, 43% of the total population of 700 in a boarding school...
- Fatal Streptobacillus moniliformis infection in a two-month-old infantM A Sens
Department of Pathology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
Am J Clin Pathol 91:612-6. 1989b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is an uncommon human pathogen contracted from exposure to rodents...
- [Arthritis caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis: a case of fever induced by a rat bite]A Anglada
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital General de Vic, Barcelona
Med Clin (Barc) 94:535-7. 1990..The etiology was confirmed when and organism which was identified as Streptobacillus moniliformis was isolated from articular fluid by means of gas chromatography of tissue fatty acids...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis epizootic in barrier-maintained C57BL/6J mice and susceptibility to infection of different strains of miceM Wullenweber
Central Institute for Laboratory Animal Breeding, Hannover, F R G
Lab Anim Sci 40:608-12. 1990We report a Streptobacillus moniliformis epizootic in barrier-maintained SPF mice...
- Isolation of Streptobacillus moniliformis from the middle ear of ratsJ P Koopman
Central Animal Laboratory, Catholic University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Lab Anim 25:35-9. 1991b>Streptobacillus moniliformis was isolated from the middle ear of 9 of 16 rats used for otological studies...
- Rat bite fever without the biteJ N Fordham
Department of Rheumatology, South Cleveland Hospital, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Ann Rheum Dis 51:411-2. 1992..The true diagnosis of rat bite fever due to Streptobacillus moniliformis was delayed because of difficulty in growing the organism, which has fastidious growth ..
- Streptobacillus moniliformis endocarditis: case report and reviewM E Rupp
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298 0049
Clin Infect Dis 14:769-72. 1992A 46-year-old man with rat-bite fever due to Streptobacillus moniliformis that was complicated by endocarditis is reported...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis isolated from otitis media of conventionally kept laboratory ratsM Wullenweber
Central Institute for Laboratory Animal Breeding, Hannover, Germany
J Exp Anim Sci 35:49-57. 1992b>Streptobacillus moniliformis (Sm) was isolated from the middle ear of two inbred albino rats (strain CAP/Kuv) suffering from murine respiratory mycoplasmosis and purulent bilateral otitis media...
- Rat bite fever (Streptobacillus moniliformis) with septicemia in a childM Rygg
Department of Medical Microbiology, University Hospital, Tromsø, Norway
Scand J Infect Dis 24:535-40. 1992..After incubation for 3 days, Streptobacillus moniliformis was found in all blood cultures that had been taken...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis infection in Swiss white miceJ R Glastonbury
NSW Agriculture, Regional Veterinary Laboratory, Wagga, Australia
J Vet Diagn Invest 8:202-9. 1996An epizootic of disease attributed to infection with Streptobacillus moniliformis occurred in a colony of Swiss white mice...
- Isolation of presumptive Streptobacillus moniliformis from abscesses associated with the female genital tractM R Pins
Department of Pathology and Microbiology Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Infect Dis 22:471-6. 1996We report three cases in which Streptobacillus moniliformis was isolated from abscesses. Abscess material in each case contained small, pleomorphic, gram-negative to gram-variable bacilli...
- Rat bite fever in a Greek childK Konstantopoulos
Department of Medicine, Amaliada General Hospital, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 24:531-3. 1992..The clinical presentation was typical for this disease and the relevant causative agent (Streptobacillus moniliformis) was isolated from blood cultures of the febrile patient. Erythromycin treatment was efficient...
- Rat bite fever without feverP Stehle
Department of Rheumatology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 62:894-6. 2003Rat bite fever is a rarely reported acute febrile bacterial illness caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis or Spirillum minus following a rat bite...
- Bacteremia by Streptobacillus moniliformis: first case described in SpainL Torres
Department of Microbiology, Miguel Servet University Hospital, paseo Isabel la Catolica 1 3, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:258-60. 2003Described here is the case of an 87-year-old man who developed fever, chills and discomfort caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis...
- Spontaneous rat bite fever in non-human primates: a review of two casesC R Valverde
Department of Surgery and Radiology Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Med Primatol 31:345-9. 2002..This entity encompasses similar, yet distinct, disease syndromes caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis or Spirillum minus...
- [Digital purpura revealing septicaemical rat-bite fever]V Georgescu
Service de Dermatologie, Hôpital Porte Madeleine, CHR, 45032 Orleans
Ann Dermatol Venereol 129:1156-8. 2002Infection with Streptobacillus moniliformis is an uncommon illness which can lead to death if untreated. We report the case in which initially cutaneous signs permitted diagnosis and further identification of the organism.
- Rat-bite fever in children: case report and reviewIfeoma C Ojukwu
Strong Children s Research Center, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, New York, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 34:474-7. 2002..RBF is caused by I of 2 Gram-negative organisms: Streptobacillus moniliformis or, less commonly, Spirillum minus...
- PCR for the detection of Streptobacillus moniliformisR Boot
Section of Laboratory Animal Microbiology, Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Screening, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Lab Anim 36:200-8. 2002b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is a Gram-negative bacterium found in various laboratory animal species and is the cause of rat bite fever and Haverhill fever in man...
- 16S-23S rDNA internal transcribed spacer sequences for analysis of the phylogenetic relationships among species of the genus FusobacteriumGeorg Conrads
R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica University of California at Los Angeles Medical Center, Santa Monica 90404, USA
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 52:493-9. 2002..defined Fusobacterium species and related taxa such as Leptotrichia buccalis, Sebaldella termitidis and Streptobacillus moniliformans, were analysed to examine inter- and intraspecies as well as subspecies relationships...
- [Rat-bite fever]N Grude
Telelab, Postboks 1868 Gulset, 3703 Skien
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 121:3057-8. 2001Rat bite fever and Haverhill fever are caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis which is part of the natural oral flora of rats and other rodents. Fever accompanied by headache, nausea and myalgia develops within ten days...
- Broad range polymerase chain reaction for diagnosis of rat-bite fever caused by Streptobacillus moniliformisC Berger
Division of Infectious Diseases, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:1181-2. 2001..reaction amplification of a part of the 16S rRNA gene followed by sequencing allowed the detection and identification of Streptobacillus moniliformis in blister fluid, thus confirming the suspected clinical diagnosis of rat-bite fever.
- Rat-bite fever (Streptobacillus moniliformis): a potential emerging diseaseM H Graves
State of California, Department of Health Services, Microbial Diseases Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94704, USA
Int J Infect Dis 5:151-5. 2001To determine the relative prevalence of human infections attributable to Streptobacillus moniliformis in California over the past 3 decades.
- A rare and serious consequence of a rat biteN D Downing
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 83:279-80. 2001Contact with rat saliva or faeces can lead to infection with Streptobacillus moniliformis and the condition known as 'rat bite fever'...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis: case report and review of the literatureJ Frans
Department of Microbiology, Imeldaziekenhuis Bonheiden, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 56:187-90. 2001b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is one of the causes of rat bite fever. The clinical and microbiological diagnosis of this rare infectious disease is often quite problematic...
- Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema associated with subcutaneous Streptobacillus moniliformis abscessA Torres
Department of Family Medicine, Hospital Txagorritxu, Osakidetza, Vitoria Gasteiz, Spain
J Rheumatol 28:1696-8. 2001..symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema (RS3PE) associated with a subcutaneous abscess of the hand due to Streptobacillus moniliformis. Polyarthritis and edema were relieved after therapy with corticosteroids...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis endocarditis in an HIV-positive patientT Rordorf
Dept of Medicine, Cantonal Hospital, Olten, Switzerland
Infection 28:393-4. 2000b>Streptobacillus moniliformis is the causative agent of rat bite fever, with endocarditis being a rare but well-documented complication. We report the case of an HIV-positive man who acquired S...
- Streptobacillus moniliformis infection: 2 cases and a literature reviewL Hagelskjaer
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Viborg Hospital, Denmark
Scand J Infect Dis 30:309-11. 1998Two cases of Streptobacillus moniliformis infection are reported in farmers bitten by rats during their work. One patient had a subcutaneous abscess requiring surgical treatment and the other streptobacillary rat bite fever...
- [Unexplained fever after exposure to rats: rat bite fever or Haverhill fever]Kim P G M Hurkens
Maastricht University Medical Centre, afd Algemene Interne Geneeskunde, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 154:A1365. 2010..We determined that he had bacteraemia caused by a Streptobacillus moniliformis infection, which led to the development of an illness called rat bite fever. S...
- Rat bite fever in a pet loverB B Cunningham
Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 38:330-2. 1998Rat-bite fever is an uncommon bacterial illness resulting from infection with Streptobacillus moniliformis that is often transmitted by the bite of a rat...