Genomes and Genes
Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
Publications200 found, 100 shown here
- Byeon B, Wang W, Barski A, Ranallo R, Bao K, Schones D, et al. The ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling enzyme Fun30 represses transcription by sliding promoter-proximal nucleosomes. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:23182-93 pubmed publisher..These results define a role for Fun30 in the regulation of transcription and indicate that Fun30 remodels chromatin at the 5' end of genes by sliding promoter-proximal nucleosomes. ..
- Martin Marcos P, Nanda J, Luna R, Wagner G, Lorsch J, Hinnebusch A. ?-Hairpin loop of eukaryotic initiation factor 1 (eIF1) mediates 40 S ribosome binding to regulate initiator tRNA(Met) recruitment and accuracy of AUG selection in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:27546-62 pubmed publisher..Finally, we implicate the unstructured N-terminal tail of eIF1 in blocking rearrangement to the closed conformation in the scanning preinitiation complex. ..
- Shen D, Yuan H, Hutagalung A, Verma A, Kümmel D, Wu X, et al. The synaptobrevin homologue Snc2p recruits the exocyst to secretory vesicles by binding to Sec6p. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:509-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that the exocyst is recruited to secretory vesicles by the combinatorial signals of Sec4-GTP and the Snc proteins. This could help to confer both specificity and directionality to vesicular traffic. ..
- Primorac I, Weir J, Chiroli E, Gross F, Hoffmann I, van Gerwen S, et al. Bub3 reads phosphorylated MELT repeats to promote spindle assembly checkpoint signaling. elife. 2013;2:e01030 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first detailed mechanistic insight into how phosphorylation promotes recruitment of checkpoint proteins to kinetochores. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.01030.001. ..
- Beznosková P, Cuchalová L, Wagner S, Shoemaker C, Gunisova S, von der Haar T, et al. Translation initiation factors eIF3 and HCR1 control translation termination and stop codon read-through in yeast cells. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003962 pubmed publisher..Together our work characterizes novel roles of eIF3 and HCR1 in stop codon recognition, defining a communication bridge between the initiation and termination/recycling phases of translation. ..
- Boban M, Pantazopoulou M, Schick A, Ljungdahl P, Foisner R. A nuclear ubiquitin-proteasome pathway targets the inner nuclear membrane protein Asi2 for degradation. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:3603-13 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a molecular pathway that affects the stability of integral proteins of the inner nuclear membrane and indicate that Asi2 is subject to protein quality control in the nucleus. ..
- Zentner G, Henikoff S. Mot1 redistributes TBP from TATA-containing to TATA-less promoters. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4996-5004 pubmed publisher..We propose that the action of Mot1 is required to clear TBP from intrinsically preferred (TATA-containing) binding sites, ensuring sufficient soluble TBP to bind intrinsically disfavored (TATA-less) sites. ..
- Niedner A, Müller M, Moorthy B, Jansen R, Niessing D. Role of Loc1p in assembly and reorganization of nuclear ASH1 messenger ribonucleoprotein particles in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E5049-58 pubmed publisher..Together these findings suggest an ordered process of nuclear assembly and reorganization for the maturation of localizing ASH1 mRNPs. ..
- Gonzalez Huici V, Szakal B, Urulangodi M, Psakhye I, Castellucci F, Menolfi D, et al. DNA bending facilitates the error-free DNA damage tolerance pathway and upholds genome integrity. EMBO J. 2014;33:327-40 pubmed publisher..Together, the results suggest that replication-associated topological changes involving the molecular DNA bender, Hmo1, set the stage for dedicated repair reactions that limit errors during replication and impact on genome stability. ..
- Ishibashi T, Dangkulwanich M, Coello Y, Lionberger T, Lubkowska L, Ponticelli A, et al. Transcription factors IIS and IIF enhance transcription efficiency by differentially modifying RNA polymerase pausing dynamics. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:3419-24 pubmed publisher..Our findings help elucidate the molecular mechanisms by which transcription factors modulate gene expression...
- Putnam C, Pallis K, Hayes T, Kolodner R. DNA repair pathway selection caused by defects in TEL1, SAE2, and de novo telomere addition generates specific chromosomal rearrangement signatures. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004277 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the inverted duplications observed here resemble common GCRs in metastatic pancreatic cancer. ..
- Bacikova V, Pasulka J, Kubicek K, Stefl R. Structure and semi-sequence-specific RNA binding of Nrd1. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:8024-38 pubmed publisher..Our findings have implication for the role of Nrd1 in termination and processing of many non-coding RNAs arising from bidirectional pervasive transcription. ..
- Schulz C, Rehling P. Remodelling of the active presequence translocase drives motor-dependent mitochondrial protein translocation. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4349 pubmed publisher..Thus, a replenishment cycle of co-chaperones at the TIM23 complex is an integral part of Hsp70's ATPase cycle at the channel exit site and essential to maintain motor-driven mitochondrial protein import. ..
- Rockmill B, Lefrançois P, Voelkel Meiman K, Oke A, Roeder G, Fung J. High throughput sequencing reveals alterations in the recombination signatures with diminishing Spo11 activity. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003932 pubmed publisher..Our genetic and physical data support previous observations of DSB-limited meioses, in which COs are disproportionally maintained over NCOs (CO homeostasis). ..
- Ohta S, Kawai Noma S, Kitamura A, Pack C, Kinjo M, Taguchi H. The interaction of Hsp104 with yeast prion Sup35 as analyzed by fluorescence cross-correlation spectroscopy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;442:28-32 pubmed publisher..Although the interaction was retained in ATP-depleted [PSI(+)] lysates, addition of ATP or guanidine hydrochloride, which is an inhibitor of Hsp104, to [PSI(+)] lysates weakened the interaction. ..
- Lilienthal I, Kanno T, Sjögren C. Inhibition of the Smc5/6 complex during meiosis perturbs joint molecule formation and resolution without significantly changing crossover or non-crossover levels. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003898 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the Smc5/6 complex aids primarily in the resolution of joint molecules formed outside of canonical inter-homolog pathways. ..
- Halter D, Collart M, Panasenko O. The Not4 E3 ligase and CCR4 deadenylase play distinct roles in protein quality control. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86218 pubmed publisher..We concluded that Not4 plays a role in protein quality control independently of the Ccr4 deadenylase, and that it is involved in clearance of aberrant proteins at least in part via the proteasome. ..
- Srinivasan V, Pierik A, Lill R. Crystal structures of nucleotide-free and glutathione-bound mitochondrial ABC transporter Atm1. Science. 2014;343:1137-40 pubmed publisher..The resulting protein stabilization may be a common structural feature of all ABC exporters. ..
- Wasmuth E, Januszyk K, Lima C. Structure of an Rrp6-RNA exosome complex bound to poly(A) RNA. Nature. 2014;511:435-9 pubmed publisher..Although path selection to Rrp6 or Rrp44 is stochastic in vitro, the fate of a particular RNA may be determined in vivo by the manner in which cofactors present RNA to the RNA exosome. ..
- Cohen Y, Megyeri M, Chen O, Condomitti G, Riezman I, Loizides Mangold U, et al. The yeast p5 type ATPase, spf1, regulates manganese transport into the endoplasmic reticulum. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e85519 pubmed publisher..Since ATP13A1 is highly expressed in developing neuronal tissues and in the brain, this should help in the study of Mn(2+)-dependent neurological disorders. ..
- Eisenberg T, Schroeder S, Andryushkova A, Pendl T, Kuttner V, Bhukel A, et al. Nucleocytosolic depletion of the energy metabolite acetyl-coenzyme a stimulates autophagy and prolongs lifespan. Cell Metab. 2014;19:431-44 pubmed publisher..Since AcCoA integrates various nutrition pathways, our findings may explain diet-dependent lifespan and autophagy regulation. ..
- Dechassa M, Wyns K, Luger K. Scm3 deposits a (Cse4-H4)2 tetramer onto DNA through a Cse4-H4 dimer intermediate. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:5532-42 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we demonstrate that Cse4 and H3 are structurally compatible to be incorporated in the same nucleosome to form heterotypic particles. Our data shed light on the mechanism of Scm3-mediated nucleosome assembly at the centromere. ..
- Tomko R, Hochstrasser M. The intrinsically disordered Sem1 protein functions as a molecular tether during proteasome lid biogenesis. Mol Cell. 2014;53:433-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, although Sem1 is a stoichiometric component of the mature proteasome, it has a distinct, chaperone-like function specific to early stages of proteasome assembly. ..
- Lianga N, Williams E, Kennedy E, Dore C, Pilon S, Girard S, et al. A Wee1 checkpoint inhibits anaphase onset. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:843-62 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a model in which stepwise activation of Cdk1 and inhibition of PP2A(Cdc55) triggers anaphase onset. ..
- Luo G, Zhang J, Luca F, Guo W. Mitotic phosphorylation of Exo84 disrupts exocyst assembly and arrests cell growth. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:97-111 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the coordination between membrane trafficking and cell cycle progression and provides a molecular mechanism by which cell growth is controlled during the cell division cycle. ..
- Onishi M, Ko N, Nishihama R, Pringle J. Distinct roles of Rho1, Cdc42, and Cyk3 in septum formation and abscission during yeast cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:311-29 pubmed publisher..This work suggests a general role for the catalytically inactive transglutaminases of fungi and animals, some of which have previously been implicated in cytokinesis. ..
- Saini N, Ramakrishnan S, Elango R, Ayyar S, Zhang Y, Deem A, et al. Migrating bubble during break-induced replication drives conservative DNA synthesis. Nature. 2013;502:389-92 pubmed publisher..We propose that the BIR mode of synthesis presents a powerful mechanism that can initiate bursts of genetic instability in eukaryotes, including humans. ..
- Pareek G, Krishnamoorthy V, D Silva P. Molecular insights revealing interaction of Tim23 and channel subunits of presequence translocase. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4641-59 pubmed publisher..Our model conceptually explains the cooperative function between Tam41 and Pam17 subunits, while the antagonistic activity of Tim21 predominantly determines the bound and free forms of the PAM subcomplex during import. ..
- Miles S, Li L, Davison J, Breeden L. Xbp1 directs global repression of budding yeast transcription during the transition to quiescence and is important for the longevity and reversibility of the quiescent state. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003854 pubmed publisher..Failure to repress some or all of these targets leads xbp1 cells to enter a permanent arrest or senescence with a shortened lifespan. ..
- Longen S, Woellhaf M, Petrungaro C, Riemer J, Herrmann J. The disulfide relay of the intermembrane space oxidizes the ribosomal subunit mrp10 on its transit into the mitochondrial matrix. Dev Cell. 2014;28:30-42 pubmed publisher..The unconventional import pathway of Mrp10 is presumably part of a quality-control circle that connects mitochondrial ribosome biogenesis to the functionality of the mitochondrial disulfide relay. ..
- Busygina V, Gaines W, Xu Y, Kwon Y, Williams G, Lin S, et al. Functional attributes of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiotic recombinase Dmc1. DNA Repair (Amst). 2013;12:707-12 pubmed publisher..5 protomers per turn with a pitch of ?106Å. The ScDmc1 purification procedure and companion molecular analyses should facilitate future studies on this recombinase. ..
- Pujol Carrion N, Petkova M, Serrano L, De La Torre Ruiz M. The MAP kinase Slt2 is involved in vacuolar function and actin remodeling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae mutants affected by endogenous oxidative stress. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013;79:6459-71 pubmed publisher..Here we show that in sod1, grx5, and grx3 grx4 slt2 mutants, all of which are affected by chronic oxidative stress, the overexpression of Slt2 favors vacuole fusion through a mechanism dependent on an active actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Chen Y, Li F, Guo J, Liu G, Guo X, Xiao D. Enhanced ethyl caproate production of Chinese liquor yeast by overexpressing EHT1 with deleted FAA1. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2014;41:563-72 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae without the need for a mud pit. ..
- Wilson M, Harreman M, Taschner M, Reid J, Walker J, Erdjument Bromage H, et al. Proteasome-mediated processing of Def1, a critical step in the cellular response to transcription stress. Cell. 2013;154:983-995 pubmed publisher..Together, these results outline the multistep mechanism of Rpb1 polyubiquitylation triggered by transcription stress and uncover the key role played by Def1 as a facilitator of Elongin-Cullin ubiquitin ligase function. ..
- Xaver M, Huang L, Chen D, Klein F. Smc5/6-Mms21 prevents and eliminates inappropriate recombination intermediates in meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1004067 pubmed publisher..Absence of Smc6 leads to persistent rogue JMs accumulation, preventing chromatin separation. We propose that the Smc5/6-Mms21 complex antagonizes toxic JMs by coordinating helicases and resolvases at D-Loops and HJs, respectively. ..
- Kawashima T, Douglass S, Gabunilas J, Pellegrini M, Chanfreau G. Widespread use of non-productive alternative splice sites in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004249 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae but masked by RNA degradation and that the use of alternative splice sites in this organism is mostly aimed at controlling transcript levels rather than increasing proteome diversity. ..
- Carballo J, Panizza S, Serrentino M, Johnson A, Geymonat M, Borde V, et al. Budding yeast ATM/ATR control meiotic double-strand break (DSB) levels by down-regulating Rec114, an essential component of the DSB-machinery. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003545 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we present evidence for three independent ways of regulating Rec114 activity, which likely contribute to meiotic DSBs-homeostasis in maintaining genetically determined levels of breaks. ..
- Wright W, Heyer W. Rad54 functions as a heteroduplex DNA pump modulated by its DNA substrates and Rad51 during D loop formation. Mol Cell. 2014;53:420-32 pubmed publisher..We present a unified model wherein Rad54 acts as an hDNA pump that drives D loop formation while simultaneously removing Rad51 from hDNA, consolidating both ATP-dependent activities of Rad54 into a single mechanistic step. ..
- Johnson C, Kweon H, Sheidy D, Shively C, Mellacheruvu D, Nesvizhskii A, et al. The yeast Sks1p kinase signaling network regulates pseudohyphal growth and glucose response. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004183 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results identify Sks1p as an important regulator of filamentation and glucose signaling, with additional relevance towards understanding stress-responsive signaling in C. albicans. ..
- Geijer C, Medrala Klein D, Petelenz Kurdziel E, Ericsson A, Smedh M, Andersson M, et al. Initiation of the transcriptional response to hyperosmotic shock correlates with the potential for volume recovery. FEBS J. 2013;280:3854-67 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that the period of Hog1 nuclear residence affects the amplitude of the transcriptional response rather than the spectrum of responsive genes. ..
- Williams C, van den Berg M, Stanley W, Wilmanns M, Distel B. A disulphide bond in the E2 enzyme Pex4p modulates ubiquitin-conjugating activity. Sci Rep. 2013;3:2212 pubmed publisher..Finally, based on sequence and structural alignments, we have identified other ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes that may contain disulphide bonds. ..
- Foresti O, Ruggiano A, Hannibal Bach H, Ejsing C, Carvalho P. Sterol homeostasis requires regulated degradation of squalene monooxygenase by the ubiquitin ligase Doa10/Teb4. elife. 2013;2:e00953 pubmed publisher..DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00953.001. ..
- Stalder D, Mizuno Yamasaki E, Ghassemian M, Novick P. Phosphorylation of the Rab exchange factor Sec2p directs a switch in regulatory binding partners. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:19995-20002 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the phosphorylation state of Sec2p can direct a switch in its regulatory binding partners that facilitates maturation of the secretory vesicle and helps to promote the directionality of vesicular transport. ..
- Schreieck A, Easter A, Etzold S, Wiederhold K, Lidschreiber M, Cramer P, et al. RNA polymerase II termination involves C-terminal-domain tyrosine dephosphorylation by CPF subunit Glc7. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2014;21:175-179 pubmed publisher..These results show that transcription termination involves Tyr1 dephosphorylation of the CTD and indicate that pre-mRNA processing by CPF and transcription termination are coupled via Glc7-dependent Pol II-Tyr1 dephosphorylation. ..
- Becker J, Nguyen H, Wang X, Bielinsky A. Mcm10 deficiency causes defective-replisome-induced mutagenesis and a dependency on error-free postreplicative repair. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:1737-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, it appears that DRIM is not proficient to fill replication gaps in pol1-1 and mcm10-1 mutants. Moreover, the ability to correctly prime nascent DNA may be a crucial prerequisite to initiate error-free PRR. ..
- Wolf J, Valkov E, Allen M, Meineke B, Gordiyenko Y, McLaughlin S, et al. Structural basis for Pan3 binding to Pan2 and its function in mRNA recruitment and deadenylation. EMBO J. 2014;33:1514-26 pubmed publisher..This binding allows Pan3 to supply Pan2 with substrate polyA RNA, facilitating efficient mRNA deadenylation by the intact Pan2-Pan3 complex. ..
- Falk S, Weir J, Hentschel J, Reichelt P, Bonneau F, Conti E. The molecular architecture of the TRAMP complex reveals the organization and interplay of its two catalytic activities. Mol Cell. 2014;55:856-867 pubmed publisher..The results reveal conceptual similarities between the two major regulators of the exosome, the nuclear TRAMP and cytoplasmic Ski complexes. ..
- Cannavo E, Cejka P. Sae2 promotes dsDNA endonuclease activity within Mre11-Rad50-Xrs2 to resect DNA breaks. Nature. 2014;514:122-5 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a probable mechanism for the initiation of dsDNA break processing in both vegetative and meiotic cells. ..
- Cheng Y, Chuang C, Shen H, Lin F, Wang T. Three distinct modes of Mec1/ATR and Tel1/ATM activation illustrate differential checkpoint targeting during budding yeast early meiosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:3365-76 pubmed publisher..These results reveal how DNA replication, DSB repair, and chromosome synapsis are differentially monitored by the meiotic checkpoint network. ..
- Tsuchiya D, Lacefield S. Cdk1 modulation ensures the coordination of cell-cycle events during the switch from meiotic prophase to mitosis. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1505-13 pubmed publisher..Our study uncovers the essential requirement of Swe1 to modulate CDK activity to coordinate cell-cycle events and maintain genome integrity during the transition from meiotic prophase to mitosis. ..
- Oling D, Eisele F, Kvint K, Nystrom T. Opposing roles of Ubp3-dependent deubiquitination regulate replicative life span and heat resistance. EMBO J. 2014;33:747-61 pubmed publisher..We discuss the data in view of how heat stress and aging might elicit differential damage and challenges on the protein homeostasis network. ..
- Varabyova A, Topf U, Kwiatkowska P, Wrobel L, Kaus Drobek M, Chacinska A. Mia40 and MINOS act in parallel with Ccs1 in the biogenesis of mitochondrial Sod1. FEBS J. 2013;280:4943-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identified novel mitochondrial players that are possibly involved in pathological conditions caused by changes in the biogenesis of Sod1. ..
- Matos J, Blanco M, West S. Cell-cycle kinases coordinate the resolution of recombination intermediates with chromosome segregation. Cell Rep. 2013;4:76-86 pubmed publisher..Therefore, temporal restriction of JM resolution, imposed by Cdk/Cdc5, minimizes the potential for loss of heterozygosity while preventing chromosome missegregation and aneuploidy. ..
- Sutter B, Wu X, Laxman S, Tu B. Methionine inhibits autophagy and promotes growth by inducing the SAM-responsive methylation of PP2A. Cell. 2013;154:403-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, methionine and SAM levels represent a critical gauge of amino acid availability that is sensed via the methylation of PP2A to reciprocally regulate cell growth and autophagy. ..
- Yang D, Fang Q, Wang M, Ren R, Wang H, He M, et al. N?-acetylated Sir3 stabilizes the conformation of a nucleosome-binding loop in the BAH domain. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1116-8 pubmed publisher..By X-ray crystallography, we show here that the acetylated N terminus of Sir3 does not interact with the nucleosome directly. Instead, it stabilizes a nucleosome-binding loop in the BAH domain. ..
- Heo D, Yoo I, Kong J, Lidschreiber M, Mayer A, Choi B, et al. The RNA polymerase II C-terminal domain-interacting domain of yeast Nrd1 contributes to the choice of termination pathway and couples to RNA processing by the nuclear exosome. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:36676-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, the Nrd1 CID couples Ser(P)-5 CTD not only to termination, but also to RNA processing by the nuclear exosome. ..
- Lee J, Reiter W, Dohnal I, Gregori C, Beese Sims S, Kuchler K, et al. MAPK Hog1 closes the S. cerevisiae glycerol channel Fps1 by phosphorylating and displacing its positive regulators. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2590-601 pubmed publisher..Thus, these results reveal the mechanism by which Hog1 regulates Fps1 in response to hyperosmotic shock. ..
- Khoshnevis S, Gunisova S, Vlčková V, Kouba T, Neumann P, Beznosková P, et al. Structural integrity of the PCI domain of eIF3a/TIF32 is required for mRNA recruitment to the 43S pre-initiation complexes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:4123-39 pubmed publisher..Their substitutions with alanines severely impair the mRNA recruitment step in vivo suggesting that a/TIF32-PCI represents one of the key domains ensuring stable and efficient mRNA delivery to the PICs. ..
- Ranjha L, Anand R, Cejka P. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mlh1-Mlh3 heterodimer is an endonuclease that preferentially binds to Holliday junctions. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:5674-86 pubmed publisher..This further supports the model where MutL? is part of a complex acting on joint molecules to generate crossovers in meiosis. ..
- Furukawa N, Mima J. Multiple and distinct strategies of yeast SNAREs to confer the specificity of membrane fusion. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4277 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings uncover multiple and distinct strategies of SNAREs to directly mediate fusion specificity. ..
- Lin T, Neuner A, Schlosser Y, Scharf A, Weber L, Schiebel E. Cell-cycle dependent phosphorylation of yeast pericentrin regulates ?-TuSC-mediated microtubule nucleation. elife. 2014;3:e02208 pubmed publisher..The two types of ?-TuCRs contain distinct but conserved C-terminal MTOC targeting domains.DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.02208.001. ..
- Porrúa O, Libri D. A bacterial-like mechanism for transcription termination by the Sen1p helicase in budding yeast. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:884-91 pubmed publisher..We also show that termination is inhibited by RNA-DNA hybrids. Our results elucidate the role of Sen1p in controlling pervasive transcription. ..
- Mishra P, Ottmann A, Basrai M. Structural integrity of centromeric chromatin and faithful chromosome segregation requires Pat1. Genetics. 2013;195:369-79 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data have uncovered a novel role for Pat1 in maintaining the structural integrity of centromeric chromatin to facilitate faithful chromosome segregation and proper kinetochore function. ..
- Shestakova A, Curtiss M, Davies B, Katzmann D, Babst M. The linker region plays a regulatory role in assembly and activity of the Vps4 AAA ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:26810-9 pubmed publisher..This structure would allow the Vps4 complex to engage ESCRT-III subunits with both the pore and the MIT domain simultaneously, which might be essential for the ATP-driven disassembly of ESCRT-III. ..
- Hinshaw S, Harrison S. An Iml3-Chl4 heterodimer links the core centromere to factors required for accurate chromosome segregation. Cell Rep. 2013;5:29-36 pubmed publisher..We propose that at the core centromere, the Chl4-Iml3 complex participates in recruiting factors, such as Sgo1, that influence sister chromatid cohesion and encourage sister kinetochore biorientation. ..
- Rodríguez Peña J, Diez Muñiz S, Bermejo C, Nombela C, Arroyo J. Activation of the yeast cell wall integrity MAPK pathway by zymolyase depends on protease and glucanase activities and requires the mucin-like protein Hkr1 but not Msb2. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:3675-80 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we show that the osmosensor Hkr1 is required for signaling, being the most upstream element identified to date. ..
- Bhaskar V, Roudko V, Basquin J, Sharma K, Urlaub H, Seraphin B, et al. Structure and RNA-binding properties of the Not1-Not2-Not5 module of the yeast Ccr4-Not complex. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1281-8 pubmed publisher..The ternary complex forms a composite surface that binds poly(U) RNA in vitro, with a site at the Not5 Not box. The results suggest that the Not module forms a versatile platform for macromolecular interactions. ..
- Babazadeh R, Adiels C, Smedh M, Petelenz Kurdziel E, Goksör M, Hohmann S. Osmostress-induced cell volume loss delays yeast Hog1 signaling by limiting diffusion processes and by Hog1-specific effects. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e80901 pubmed publisher..In addition, there may be mechanisms slowing down especially Hog1 nuclear translocation under severe stress in order to prioritize Hog1 cytosolic targets. ..
- Sharma S, Yang J, Düttmann S, Watzinger P, Kötter P, Entian K. Identification of novel methyltransferases, Bmt5 and Bmt6, responsible for the m3U methylations of 25S rRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:3246-60 pubmed publisher..With Bmt5 and Bmt6, all base methyltransferases of the 25S rRNA have been identified. This will facilitate the analyses of the significance of these modifications in ribosome function and cellular physiology. ..
- Wilkins B, Rall N, Ostwal Y, Kruitwagen T, Hiragami Hamada K, Winkler M, et al. A cascade of histone modifications induces chromatin condensation in mitosis. Science. 2014;343:77-80 pubmed publisher..This cascade of events provides a condensin-independent driving force of chromatin hypercondensation during mitosis. ..
- Takeda M, Yamagami K, Tanaka K. Role of phosphatidylserine in phospholipid flippase-mediated vesicle transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2014;13:363-75 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that flippase-dependent vesicle formation is mediated by phospholipid flipping, not by flipped phospholipids. ..
- Pathare G, Nagy I, Sledź P, Anderson D, Zhou H, Pardon E, et al. Crystal structure of the proteasomal deubiquitylation module Rpn8-Rpn11. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:2984-9 pubmed publisher..The narrow space around the Rpn11 active site at the entrance to the ATPase ring pore is likely to prevent erroneous deubiquitylation of folded proteins. ..
- Kuo C, Savage N, Chen H, Wu C, Zyla T, Lew D. Inhibitory GEF phosphorylation provides negative feedback in the yeast polarity circuit. Curr Biol. 2014;24:753-9 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a mechanism for negative feedback and suggest that the function of negative feedback via GEF inhibition is to buffer the level of Cdc42 at the polarity site. ..
- Mattarocci S, Shyian M, Lemmens L, Damay P, Altintas D, Shi T, et al. Rif1 controls DNA replication timing in yeast through the PP1 phosphatase Glc7. Cell Rep. 2014;7:62-9 pubmed publisher..Our data thus link Rif1 to negative regulation of replication origin firing through recruitment of the Glc7 phosphatase. ..
- Liang Y, Lavoie M, Comeau M, Abou Elela S, Ji X. Structure of a eukaryotic RNase III postcleavage complex reveals a double-ruler mechanism for substrate selection. Mol Cell. 2014;54:431-44 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a framework for understanding eukaryotic RNase IIIs. ..
- Simon A, Zhou J, Perera R, van Deursen F, Evrin C, Ivanova M, et al. A Ctf4 trimer couples the CMG helicase to DNA polymerase Î± in the eukaryotic replisome. Nature. 2014;510:293-297 pubmed publisher..The ability of Ctf4 to act as a platform for multivalent interactions illustrates a mechanism for the concurrent recruitment of factors that act together at the fork. ..
- Caydasi A, Micoogullari Y, Kurtulmus B, Palani S, Pereira G. The 14-3-3 protein Bmh1 functions in the spindle position checkpoint by breaking Bfa1 asymmetry at yeast centrosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:2143-51 pubmed publisher..Consistently, BMH1-null cells are SPOC deficient. Our work thus identifies Bmh1 as a new SPOC component and refines the molecular mechanism that breaks Bfa1 centrosome asymmetry upon SPOC activation. ..
- Eng T, Guacci V, Koshland D. ROCC, a conserved region in cohesin's Mcd1 subunit, is essential for the proper regulation of the maintenance of cohesion and establishment of condensation. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:2351-64 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence that ROCC controls cohesion maintenance and condensation establishment through differential functional interactions with Pds5p and Wpl1p. ..
- Tudek A, Porrúa O, Kabzinski T, Lidschreiber M, Kubicek K, Fortova A, et al. Molecular basis for coordinating transcription termination with noncoding RNA degradation. Mol Cell. 2014;55:467-81 pubmed publisher..We propose that transcription termination and RNA degradation are coordinated by switching between two alternative partners of the NNS complex. ..
- Hoch N, Chen E, Buckland R, Wang S, Fazio A, Hammet A, et al. Molecular basis of the essential s phase function of the rad53 checkpoint kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:3202-13 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that the essential S phase function of Rad53 is comprised by the combination of its role in regulating basal dNTP levels and its compensatory kinase function if dNTP levels are perturbed. ..
- London N, Biggins S. Mad1 kinetochore recruitment by Mps1-mediated phosphorylation of Bub1 signals the spindle checkpoint. Genes Dev. 2014;28:140-52 pubmed publisher..The Mad1 interaction with Bub1 and kinetochores can be reconstituted in the presence of Mps1 and Mad2. Together, this work reveals a critical mechanism that determines kinetochore activation of the spindle checkpoint. ..