Genomes and Genes
Alias: Pediococcus Balcke 1884 (sic), Pediococcus Claussen 1903
Publications139 found, 100 shown here
- Characterisation of prototype Nurmi cultures using culture-based microbiological techniques and PCR-DGGESinead M Waters
Alltech Ireland, Sarney, Summerhill Road, Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland
Int J Food Microbiol 110:268-77. 2006..species from the genera Lactobacillus, Lactococcus, Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus, Clostridium, Escherichia, Pediococcus and Enterobacterium as well as members of the genera, Actinomyces, Bacteroides, Propionibacterium, ..
- Beer spoilage bacteria and hop resistanceKanta Sakamoto
Fundamental Research Laboratory, Asahi Breweries, Ltd 1 21, Midori 1 chome, Moriya shi, Ibaraki 302 0106, Japan
Int J Food Microbiol 89:105-24. 2003..They include some lactic acid bacteria such as Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus lindneri and Pediococcus damnosus, and some Gram-negative bacteria such as Pectinatus cerevisiiphilus, Pectinatus frisingensis and ..
- Genomic organization of lactic acid bacteriaB E Davidson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 70:161-83. 1996..Lactococcus lactis and Streptococcus thermophilus, and members of the genera Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Pediococcus and Carnobacterium, is reviewed. The genomes contain a chromosome within the size range of 1.8 to 3.4 Mbp...
- The biodiversity of predominant lactic acid bacteria in dolo and pito wort for the production of sorghum beerH Sawadogo-Lingani
Département Technologie Alimentaire IRSAT CNRST, 03 BP 7047, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
J Appl Microbiol 103:765-77. 2007..To quantify and identify the predominant lactic acid bacteria (LAB) in dolo and pito wort processing, and to examine their biodiversity at strain level...
- Quantitative analysis of the intestinal bacterial community in one- to three-week-old commercially reared broiler chickens fed conventional or antibiotic-free vegetable-based dietsM G Wise
Poultry Microbiological Safety Research Unit, Russell Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Athens, GA 30605, USA
J Appl Microbiol 102:1138-49. 2007....
- The effect of probiotics and organic acids on Shiga-toxin 2 gene expression in enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7Christine M Carey
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Guelph Food Research Center, 93 Stone Road West, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 5C9
J Microbiol Methods 73:125-32. 2008..Thus, the effect of Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Bifidobacterium strains on stx2A expression levels in STEC was investigated...
- Control of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in corn silage with or without various inoculants: efficacy and mode of actionA F Pedroso
Department of Animal Sciences, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32606, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:1098-104. 2010..coli O157:H7 (EC); EC and 1 x 10(6) cfu/g of Pediococcus pentosaceus and Propionibacterium freudenreichii (EC+BII); EC and 1 x 10(6) cfu/g of Lactobacillus buchneri (EC+..
- Characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from a Thai low-salt fermented fish product and the role of garlic as substrate for fermentationC Paludan-Müller
Danish Institute for Fisheries Research, Department of Seafood Research, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Int J Food Microbiol 46:219-29. 1999..In addition, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus pentosus and Pediococcus pentosaceus were isolated from raw materials...
- Detection and characterization of a bacteriocin produced by Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris R isolated from radishZ Yildirim
Department of Food Science and Arkansas Biotechnology Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
Lett Appl Microbiol 26:297-304. 1998..Staphylococcus, Listeria, Bacillus, Micrococcus, Enterococcus, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Streptococcus and Pediococcus spp., but was not active against any Gram-negative bacteria...
- The development of lactic acid bacteria and Lactobacillus buchneri and their effects on the fermentation of alfalfa silageR J Schmidt
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark 19716 2150, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:5005-10. 2009..buchneri 40788 (4 x 10(5) cfu/g) and Pediococcus pentosaceus (1 x 10(5) cfu/g; LBPP)...
- Purification, characterization, and primary structure of a novel cell wall hydrolytic amidase, CwhA, from Achromobacter lyticusS Li
Division of Protein Chemistry, Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biochem 127:1033-9. 2000..Escherichia coli more efficiently than Micrococcus luteus, Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus faecalis, and Pediococcus acidilactici...
- [Microbiological and clinical studies of vancomycin resistant Leuconostoc spp. and Pediococcus spp. isolated from septicemia patients]K Kikuchi
Department of Medicine, Tokyo Women's Medical College
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:1084-92. 1994..and Pediococcus spp...
- Characterization of anti-Listeria bacteriocins isolated from shellfish: potential antimicrobials to control non-fermented seafoodAna Luísa Pinto
Escola Superior de Biotecnologia, Universidade Catolica Portuguesa, R Dr Antonio Bernardino de Almeida, Porto, Portugal
Int J Food Microbiol 129:50-8. 2009..using genus- and species-specific primers, and confirmed by 16S rDNA sequencing, as Enterococcus faecium and Pediococcus pentosaceus...
- Identification and characterization of two bacteriocin-producing bacteria isolated from garlic and ginger rootM E Janes
Department of Food Science, Center for Food Safety and Quality IFSE, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
J Food Prot 62:899-904. 1999..Lactocin GI3 had a broader spectrum, inhibiting Bacillus, Clostridium, Listeria, Enterococcus, Leuconostoc, Pediococcus, and Staphylococcus species...
- Lactobacillus plantarum gene clusters encoding putative cell-surface protein complexes for carbohydrate utilization are conserved in specific gram-positive bacteriaRoland Siezen
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences WCFS, Wageningen, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 7:126. 2006....
- Species diversity and relative abundance of vaginal lactic acid bacteria from women in Uganda and KoreaL Jin
Department of Oral Biology, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Appl Microbiol 102:1107-15. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the species richness and relative abundance of Lactobacillus and other lactic acid bacteria in women of two geographically distant countries, Uganda and Korea...
- Functional properties of selected starter cultures for sour maize breadMojisola O Edema
Department of Microbiology, College of Natural Sciences, University of Agriculture, P M B 2240, Abeokuta, Nigeria
Food Microbiol 25:616-25. 2008..The organisms previously identified as Lactobacillus plantarum, Lb. brevis, Lb. fermentum, Lb. acidophilus, Pediococcus acidilactici, Leuconostoc mesenteroides and Leuconostoc dextranicum and Saccharomyces cerevisiae were used ..
- Microbial diversity of traditional Vietnamese alcohol fermentation starters (banh men) as determined by PCR-mediated DGGEVu Nguyen Thanh
Department of Microbiology, Food Industries Research Institute, 301 Nguyen Trai, Thanh Xuan, Hanoi, Vietnam
Int J Food Microbiol 128:268-73. 2008..The most frequent LAB were Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus plantarum, L. brevis, Weissella confusa, and W. paramesenteroides...
- Modelling the effect of high pressure on the inactivation kinetics of a pressure-resistant strain of Pediococcus damnosus in phosphate buffer and gilt-head seabream (Sparus aurata)E Z Panagou
Institute of Technology of Agricultural Products, National Agricultural Research Foundation, Lycovrissi, Greece
J Appl Microbiol 102:1499-507. 2007The aim of this research was to: (i) determine the inactivation pattern of a pressure-resistant strain of Pediococcus damnosus by high hydrostatic pressure in phosphate buffer (pH 6...
- Characterisation and transferability of antibiotic resistance genes from lactic acid bacteria isolated from Irish pork and beef abattoirsNiamh Toomey
Department of Food Safety, Ashtown Food Research Centre, Ashtown, Dublin 15, Ireland
Res Microbiol 161:127-35. 2010..Enterococcus faecalis strains were susceptible to vancomycin. L. plantarum, L. mesenteroides and Pediococcus pentosaceus were intrinsically resistant to vancomycin...
- Biodiversity of the microbial community in a Spanish farmhouse cheese as revealed by culture-dependent and culture-independent methodsHikmate Abriouel
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Fuentenueva s n, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 127:200-8. 2008..plantarum and Lb. brevis. Other lactic-acid bacteria identified were Pediococcus urinaequi, Leuconostoc pseudomesenteroides, Leuc...
- The in vitro activity of daptomycin against 514 Gram-positive aerobic clinical isolatesA King
Department of Infection, KCL, St Thomas Hospital Campus, London SE1 7EH, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:219-23. 2001..Lactococcus spp., Leuconostoc spp., Pediococcus spp. and isolates of Enterococcus casseliflavus and Enterococcus gallinarum, daptomycin MICs were 0...
- Exploitation of Acha (Digitaria exiliis) and Iburu (Digitaria iburua) flours: chemical characterization and their use for sourdough fermentationRossana Coda
Department of Biologia e Chimica Agro Forestale ed Ambientale, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Food Microbiol 27:1043-50. 2010..100±20 mg/kg). Pediococcus pentosaceus was the dominant species in both the flours...
- Taxonomic structure and monitoring of the dominant population of lactic acid bacteria during wheat flour sourdough type I propagation using Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis startersSonya Siragusa
Dipartimento di Protezione delle Piante e Microbiologia Applicata, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Bari, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:1099-109. 2009..lactis, Pediococcus pentosaceus, and Lactobacillus spp. as the dominant species of the raw wheat flour...
- Effect of applying molasses or inoculants containing homofermentative or heterofermentative bacteria at two rates on the fermentation and aerobic stability of corn silageC M Huisden
Department of Animal Sciences, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:690-7. 2009..Buchneri 500 was applied at the recommended rate of 8 mg/kg fresh forage to supply 1 x 10(5) cfu/g of Pediococcus pentosaceus 12455 and 4 x 10(5) cfu/g of Lactobacillus buchneri 40788 (BB) or at twice the recommended rate (..
- Oligonucleotide microarrays for the detection and identification of viable beer spoilage bacteriaD G Weber
Institute of Technical Microbiology, Hamburg University of Technology, Hamburg, Germany
J Appl Microbiol 105:951-62. 2008..These belong to the species of the genera Lactobacillus, Megasphaera, Pediococcus and Pectinatus.
- Evaluation of the efficacy of a probiotic containing Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus, and Pediococcus strains in promoting broiler performance and modulating cecal microflora composition and metabolic activitiesK C Mountzouris
Department of Animal Nutrition, Agricultural University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, 11855, Greece
Poult Sci 86:309-17. 2007..The probiotic contained 2 Lactobacillus strains, 1 Bifidobacterium strain, 1 Enterococcus strain, and 1 Pediococcus strain. Four hundred 1-d-old male Cobb broilers were allocated in 4 experimental treatments for 6 wk...
- Screening and selection of lactic acid bacteria strains suitable for ensiling grassE Saarisalo
Animal Production Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland, Jokioinen, Finland
J Appl Microbiol 102:327-36. 2007..The strains capable of rapidly lowering the pH of the grass matrix and with low proteolytic activity were assessed in laboratory-scale silos in a grass matrix containing natural microbial flora...
- Effects of orally administered probiotic Pediococcus acidilactici on the small and large intestine of weaning piglets. A qualitative and quantitative micro-anatomical studyA Di Giancamillo
Department of Veterinary Sciences and Technologies for Food Safety, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Histol Histopathol 23:651-64. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of dietary supplementation with the probiotic Pediococcus acidilactici on the piglet intestine, on circulating lymphocytes, and on aspects of piglet performance during ..
- Antimicrobial activity of Enterococcus faecium L50, a strain producing enterocins L50 (L50A and L50B), P and Q, against beer-spoilage lactic acid bacteria in broth, wort (hopped and unhopped), and alcoholic and non-alcoholic lager beersAntonio Basanta
Departamento de Nutricion, Bromatologia y Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 125:293-307. 2008..e., Lactobacillus brevis and Pediococcus damnosus), which is mainly due to the production of EntL50 (EntL50A and EntL50B)...
- Effect of culture conditions on production of butter flavor compounds by Pediococcus pentosaceus and Lactobacillus acidophilus in semisolid maize-based culturesM L Escamilla-Hurtado
Dept Biotecnología, Univ Autonoma Metropolitana Iztapalapa, Ap P 55 535, Deleg Iztapalapa, C P 09340, Mexico City, D F, Mexico
Int J Food Microbiol 105:305-16. 2005Two series of 120 h mixed cultures of Pediococcus pentosaceus MITJ-10 and Lactobacillus acidophilus Hansen 1748 were grown in semisolid maize-based media, applying an orthogonal factorial design in order to establish the most adequate ..
- Influence of Pediococcus-based probiotic on coccidiosis in broiler chickensS H Lee
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, USDA ARS, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Poult Sci 86:63-6. 2007..supplements can influence host immunity against enteric diseases prompted us to investigate the role of a Pediococcus-based probiotic on coccidiosis in broiler chickens...
- Study of the micro-organisms associated with the fermented bread (khamir) produced from sorghum in Gizan region, Saudi ArabiaM A Gassem
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agriculture, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Appl Microbiol 86:221-5. 1999..The microorganisms, which were isolated and characterized during the 24 h fermentation, included: bacteria (Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus brevis, Lact. lactis subsp. lactis, Lact. cellobiosus, Klebsiella oxytoca, Kl...
- Assessment of the effects of Nurmi-type cultures and a defined probiotic preparation on a Salmonella typhimurium 29E challenge in vivoSinead M Waters
Alltech Ireland Ltd, Sarney, Summerhill Road, Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland
J Food Prot 68:1222-7. 2005..culture (NTC), cultured cecal contents, and a dual-strain probiotic, containing Enterococcus faecalis and Pediococcus pentosaceus, on Salmonella Typhimurium colonization were evaluated in a specific-pathogen-free bird model...
- Partial characterization of bacteriocins produced by human Lactococcus lactis and Pediococccus acidilactici isolatesM Millette
INRS Institut Armand Frappier, Research Laboratories in Sciences Applied to Food, Canadian Irradiation Centre, 531, boulevard des Prairies, Laval, Quebec, Canada, H7V 1B7
J Appl Microbiol 102:274-82. 2007..The aim of this study was to isolate bacteriocin-producing lactic acid bacteria (LAB) from human intestine...
- Nucleotide sequence, structural organization and host range of pRS4, a small cryptic Pediococcus pentosaceus plasmid that contains two cassettes commonly found in other lactic acid bacteriaM Teresa Alegre
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Escuela Politecnica Superior, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 27002 Lugo, Spain
FEMS Microbiol Lett 250:151-6. 2005The complete nucleotide sequence of the cryptic plasmid pRS4 (3550 bp) from Pediococcus pentosaceus RS4 was determined. Sequence analysis revealed the presence of three open reading frames (ORFs)...
- Production of active pediocin PA-1 in Escherichia coli using a thioredoxin gene fusion expression approach: cloning, expression, purification, and characterizationLucie Beaulieu
Biotechnology Research Institute, National Research Council, 6100 Royalmount Avenue, Montreal, QC 4P 2R2, Canada
Can J Microbiol 53:1246-58. 2007..a 4- to 5-fold increase in production yield was obtained, by comparison with the PA-1 produced naturally by Pediococcus acidilactici PAC 1.0...
- New consensus guidelines from the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute for antimicrobial susceptibility testing of infrequently isolated or fastidious bacteriaJames H Jorgensen
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:280-6. 2007..the instrinsically vancomycin-resistant gram-positive organisms Erysipelothrix, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, and Pediococcus species...
- Robustness of Lactobacillus plantarum starters during daily propagation of wheat flour sourdough type IFabio Minervini
Dipartimento di Protezione delle Piante e Microbiologia Applicata, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Via Amendola 165 A, 70126 Bari, Italy
Food Microbiol 27:897-908. 2010..plantarum emerged. All emerging strains of L. plantarum showed different RAPD-PCR profiles. L. rossiae and Pediococcus pentosaceus were only found in the control and sourdough started with strain 12H1...
- Biofilm formation in an ice cream plantGulten Tiryaki Gunduz
Food Engineering Department, Ege University, 35100, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 89:329-36. 2006..plant included Staphyloccus, Bacillus, Listeria and lactic acid bacteria such as Streptococcus, Leuconostoc or Pediococcus spp...
- Short communication: An evaluation of the effectiveness of Lactobacillus buchneri 40788 to alter fermentation and improve the aerobic stability of corn silage in farm silosL J Mari
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716 2150, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:1174-6. 2009..buchneri 40788 alone or this organism combined with Pediococcus pentosaceus during May and June 2007...
- Isolation and identification of tetracycline resistant lactic acid bacteria from pre-packed sliced meat productsD Gevers
Department of Biochemistry, Physiology and Microbiology, University of Gent, Belgium
Syst Appl Microbiol 23:279-84. 2000..with whole-cell protein profiling revealed that the total strain set represented four different species: Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus sakei subsp. carnosus and Lactobacillus curvatus...
- Exploring the use of natural antimicrobial agents and pulsed electric fields to control spoilage bacteria during a beer production processM A Galvagno
Laboratório de Microbiologia Industrial, Departamento de Ingenieria Quimica, Facultad de Ingenieria, Pabellón de Industrias, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria 1428, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 39:170-6. 2007..The addition of 0.0002 mg/ml nisin, 0.1 mg/ml chitosan or 0.3 mg/ml hops, selectively inhibited growth of Pediococcus sp. in more than 10,000 times with respect to brewing yeast in a mixed culture. In the presence of 0...
- Quinupristin-dalfopristin resistance among gram-positive bacteria in TaiwanK T Luh
Departments of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medical Technology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taiwan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:3374-80. 2000..100%), Lactobacillus spp. (50%), and Pediococcus spp. (87%). All isolates of MSSA, MRSA, S...
- Genetic and biochemical characterization of the Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis bacteriophage LL-H lysinA Vasala
Department of Genetics, University of Oulu, Finland
Appl Environ Microbiol 61:4004-11. 1995..delbrueckii, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus helveticus, and Pediococcus damnosus cell walls...
- A survey of the microbial and chemical composition of seven semi-ripened Provola dei Nebrodi Sicilian cheesesT Cronin
Teagasc, Biotechnology Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland
J Appl Microbiol 103:1128-39. 2007....
- Characterization and antimicrobial spectrum of bifidocin B, a bacteriocin produced by Bifidobacterium bifidum NCFB 1454Z Yildirim
Department of Food Science and Arkansas Biotechnology Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
J Food Prot 61:47-51. 1998..pathogens and food spoilage bacteria such as Listeria, Enterococcus, Bacillus, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, and Pediococcus species but was not active against the other gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria tested...
- Identification of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Tarhana, a traditional Turkish fermented foodIlkin Yucel Sengun
Department of Food Engineering, Food Microbiology Section, Faculty of Engineering, University of Ege, Turkey
Int J Food Microbiol 135:105-11. 2009..b>Pediococcus acidilactici were found to constitute 27% of the isolates, 19% were identified as Streptococcus thermophilus, ..
- Development of innovative pediocin PA-1 by DNA shuffling among class IIa bacteriocinsTatsuya Tominaga
Saitama Industrial Technology Center North Institute, 2 133 Suehiro, Kumagaya, Saitama 360 0031, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5292-9. 2007..Furthermore, the active shuffled mutants showed increased activity against various species of Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Carnobacterium...
- Transport of glycerol by Pediococcus pentosaceus isolated from wineSergio E Pasteris
Facultad de Bioquimica, Quimica y Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de Tucuman, Tucuman, Argentina
Food Microbiol 25:545-9. 2008b>Pediococcus pentosaceus N(5)p is a strain isolated from wine that uses glycerol as its sole carbon source, mainly via the glycerol kinase pathway. The transport of glycerol was investigated in resting cells of this strain...
- Interactions of nisin and pediocin PA-1 with closely related lactic acid bacteria that manifest over 100-fold differences in bacteriocin sensitivityM H Bennik
Agrotechnological Research Institute ATO DLO, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 63:3628-36. 1997..sake DSM20497 and Pediococcus dextrinicus and Pediococcus pentosaccus...
- Isolation and characterization of pediocin AcH chimeric protein mutants with altered bactericidal activityK W Miller
Departments of Molecular Biology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming 82071, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:1997-2005. 1998..plantarum NCDO955, Listeria innocua Lin11, Enterococcus faecalis M1, Pediococcus acidilactici LB42, and Leuconostoc mesenteroides Ly...
- Susceptibility of Pediococcus isolates to antimicrobial compounds in relation to hop-resistance and beer-spoilageMonique Haakensen
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Room 2841 Royal University Hospital, 103 Hospital Drive, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W8, Canada
BMC Microbiol 9:190. 2009..microbiology and as potential pathogens in immuno-compromised humans, bacterial isolates belonging to the genus Pediococcus are best known for their association with contamination of ethanol fermentation processes (beer, wine, or fuel ..
- Inactivation of oenological lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus hilgardii and Pediococcus pentosaceus) by wine phenolic compoundsA Garcia-Ruiz
Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales CSIC, Juan de la Cierva, Madrid, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 107:1042-53. 2009To investigate the inactivation properties of different classes of phenolic compounds present in wine against two wine isolates of Lactobacillus hilgardii and Pediococcus pentosaceus, and to explore their inactivation mechanism.
- Bio-preservative and Therapeutic Potential of Pediocin: Recent Trends and Future PerspectivesRidhi Mehta
Department of Biotechnology, MMEC, M M University, Mullana Ambala 133207, India
Recent Pat Biotechnol 7:172-8. 2013..by bacteria) derived their name after the genera that produce them, hence bacteriocins produced by genus Pediococcus are known as Pediocin...
- Use of an alpha-galactosidase gene as a food-grade selection marker for Streptococcus thermophilusS Labrie
Departement de Biochimie et de Microbiologie, Faculte des sciences et de genie, Groupe de Recherche en Ecologie Buccale, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, G1K 7P4, Canada
J Dairy Sci 88:2341-7. 2005..ATCC 43920 was previously shown to be an efficient food-grade selection marker in Lactococcus lactis and Pediococcus acidilactici but not in Streptococcus thermophilus...
- Characterization of the beneficial properties of lactobacilli isolated from bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) hatcherySergio E Pasteris
Instituto Superior de Investigaciones Biológicas Instituto de Biología Dr Francisco D Barbieri, Facultad de Bioquimica, Química y Farmacia Universidad Nacional de Tucumán, Chacabuco 461, San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 95:373-85. 2009..The bacterial population was grouped into the following taxa: Lactobacillus spp., Pediococcus spp., Enterococcus faecalis and Ent. faecium, and Enterobacteriaceae (Enterobacter spp...
- Putrescine production from different amino acid precursors by lactic acid bacteria from wine and ciderAntonella Costantini
Consiglio per la Ricerca e la sperimentazione in Agricoltura Centro di ricerca per l Enologia, via P Micca 35, 14100 Asti, Italy
Int J Food Microbiol 165:11-7. 2013..Moreover, we also studied the ability of the Lactobacillus and Pediococcus tested to produce histamine and tyramine...
- Genomic diversity within the genus Pediococcus as revealed by randomly amplified polymorphic DNA PCR and pulsed-field gel electrophoresisP J Simpson
Teagasc, Dairy Products Research Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:765-71. 2002The genomic diversity of 33 previously assigned strains from six species within the genus Pediococcus was assessed by randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) PCR and pulsed-field-gel electrophoresis (PFGE)...
- Relative ability of orally administered Lactobacillus murinus to predominate and persist in the porcine gastrointestinal tractGillian E Gardiner
Dairy Products Research Center, Teagasc, Moorepark, Fermoy, County Cork, Cork, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:1895-906. 2004Five porcine-derived Lactobacillus or Pediococcus isolates administered to pigs (n = 4), either singly or as a combination at approximately 10(10) CFU per day varied with respect to intestinal survival and persistence...
- Characterization of mesentericin ST99, a bacteriocin produced by Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. dextranicum ST99 isolated from bozaSvetoslav D Todorov
Department of Microbiology, University of Stellenbosch, 7600, Stellenbosch, South Africa
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 31:323-9. 2004..Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, Listeria innocua, Listeria monocytogenes, Pediococcus pentosaceus, Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus thermophilus. Clostridium spp., Carnobacterium spp., L...
- In vitro and in vivo survival and colonic adhesion of Pediococcus acidilactici MTCC5101 in human gutPraveen P Balgir
Department of Biotechnology, Punjabi University, Punjab, Patiala 147 002, India
Biomed Res Int 2013:583850. 2013The present study aims to investigate the probiotic nature of Pediococcus acidilactici MTCC5101 by an in vitro assay of bacterial adherence to intestinal epithelial cells of human gastrointestinal (GI) tract using Caco-2 cell line...
- Enumeration and identification of pediococci in powder-based products using selective media and rapid PFGEP J Simpson
Teagasc, Biotechnology Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, CO, Cork, Ireland
J Microbiol Methods 64:120-5. 2006In this study, pediococci selective medium (PSM) was evaluated for the enumeration of Pediococcus acidilactici and Pediococcus pentosaceus from probiotic animal feed and silage inoculants...
- Pediococcus lolii DSM 19927T and JCM 15055T are strains of Pediococcus acidilacticiAnneleen Wieme
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Brewing, Faculty Applied Bioscience Engineering, University College Ghent, Schoonmeersstraat 52, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 62:3105-8. 2012Strain NGRI 0510Q(T), isolated from ryegrass silage, was recently classified as a representative of a novel Pediococcus species, Pediococcus lolii Doi et al. 2009...
- Fed-batch pediocin production by Pediococcus acidilactici NRRL B-5627 on wheyNelson Pérez Guerra
Departamento de Bioquimica, Xenética e Inmunoloxía, Facultade de Ciencias de Ourense, Universidade de Vigo, As Lagoas, 32004 Ourense, Spain
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 42:17-23. 2005Cell growth and pediocin production by Pediococcus acidilactici NRRL B-5627 on whey were compared by using batch fermentation and re-alkalized fed-batch fermentation...
- Effects of Pediococcus parvulus 2.6 and its exopolysaccharide on plasma cholesterol levels and inflammatory markers in miceCecilia Lindström
Division of Biotechnology, Department of Chemistry, Lund University, Box 124, Lund, SE 221 00, Sweden
AMB Express 2:66. 2012..b>Pediococcus parvulus 2.6 (Pd 2.6) excretes a ropy EPS and has previously shown probiotic potential...
- Selection of starter cultures for idli batter fermentation and their effect on quality of idlisJ Sridevi
Department of Food Microbiology, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Mysore, 570 020 India
J Food Sci Technol 47:557-63. 2010Idli batter samples were prepared using lactic starter cultures like Pediococcus pentosaceus (Pp), Enterococcus faecium MTCC 5153 (Ef), Ent. faecium (IB2 Ef-IB2), individually, along with the yeast culture, Candida versatilis (Cv)...
- Potential osmoprotectants for the lactic acid bacteria Pediococcus pentosaceus and Tetragenococcus halophilaAurélie Baliarda
Unité Sécurité Microbiologique des Aliments, ISTAB, Universite Bordeaux 1, Avenue des Facultes, F 33405 Talence Cedex, France
Int J Food Microbiol 84:13-20. 2003The physiological responses of the lactic acid bacteria Pediococcus pentosaceus and Tetragenococcus halophila (formely known as P...
- Prediction of dynamic metabolic behavior of Pediococcus pentosaceus producing lactic acid from lignocellulosic sugarsPhilipp Adler
Institute of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Division of Food Technology and Biotechnology, University of Bonn, D 53117 Bonn, Germany
Biotechnol Prog 28:623-35. 2012A dynamic metabolic model is presented for Pediococcus pentosaceus producing lactic acid from lignocellulose-derived mixed sugars including glucose, mannose, galactose, arabinose, and xylose. Depending on the pairs of mixed sugars, P...
- Simultaneous saccharification and high titer lactic acid fermentation of corn stover using a newly isolated lactic acid bacterium Pediococcus acidilactici DQ2Kai Zhao
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai 200237, China
Bioresour Technol 135:481-9. 2013..with high tolerance of temperature and lignocellulose derived inhibitor was isolated and characterized as Pediococcus acidilactici DQ2...
- Growth response and modifications of organic nitrogen compounds in pure and mixed cultures of lactic acid bacteria from winePedro A Aredes Fernández
Centro de Referencia para Lactobacillus CERELA, Chacabuco 145, Tucuman, Argentina
Curr Microbiol 52:86-91. 2006The interactions between the proteolytic X2L strain of Oenococcus oeni and the non-proteolytic 12p strain of Pediococcus pentosaceus were assayed...
- Co-cultivation of a bacteriocin-producing mixed culture of Bifidobacterium thermophilum RBL67 and Pediococcus acidilactici UVA1 isolated from baby faecesS Mathys
Laboratory of Food Biotechnology, Institute of Food Science and Nutrition, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
J Appl Microbiol 107:36-46. 2009..the kinetics of growth, metabolism and antimicrobial activity of Bifidobacterium thermophilum RBL67 and Pediococcus acidilactici UVA1 previously isolated as a consortium from human baby faeces and producing antimicrobial ..
- Characteristics of isolated lactic acid bacteria and their effectiveness to improve stylo (Stylosanthes guianensis Sw.) silage quality at various temperaturesQinhua Liu
Department of Grassland Science, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, China
Anim Sci J 83:128-35. 2012Two lactic acid bacteria (LAB) strains, Pediococcus pentosaceus SC1 and Lactobacillus paraplantarum SC2 isolated from king grass silage, were characterized and their effectiveness to improve the silage fermentation quality of stylo (..
- Effects of stimulation of copper bioleaching on microbial community in vineyard soil and copper mining wasteRobson Andreazza
Department of Soil Science, Faculty of Agronomy, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, 7712 Bento Gonçalves Ave, Porto Alegre, RS, 91541 000, Brazil
Biol Trace Elem Res 146:124-33. 2012..Silicibacter sp., Bacillus sp., Paracoccus sp., Pediococcus sp., a Myxococcales, Clostridium sp., Thiomonas sp., a firmicute, Caulobacter vibrioides, Serratia sp...
- A novel lantibiotic, nukacin ISK-1, of Staphylococcus warneri ISK-1: cloning of the structural gene and identification of the structureT Sashihara
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 64:2420-8. 2000Staphylococcus warneri ISK-1, which we had previously reported as Pediococcus sp. ISK-1, produces a novel bacteriocin, nukacin ISK-1...
- Role of specific components from commercial inactive dry yeast winemaking preparations on the growth of wine lactic acid bacteriaInmaculada Andújar-Ortiz
Instituto de Investigacion en Ciencias de la Alimentacion, Campus de la Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 58:8392-9. 2010..on the growth of three representative wine lactic acid bacteria (Oenococcus oeni, Lactobacillus hilgardii and Pediococcus pentosaceus) has been studied...
- Reclassification of Pediococcus dextrinicus (Coster and White 1964) back 1978 (Approved Lists 1980) as Lactobacillus dextrinicus comb. nov., and emended description of the genus LactobacillusMonique Haakensen
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 2841 Royal University Hospital, 103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon SK S7N 0W8, Canada
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:615-21. 2009The taxonomic status of Pediococcus dextrinicus is described and transfer of the species to the genus Lactobacillus, with the name Lactobacillus dextrinicus comb. nov., is proposed...
- Association of beta-glucan endogenous production with increased stress tolerance of intestinal lactobacilliHelena M Stack
Teagasc, Moorepark Food Research Centre, Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:500-7. 2010..In this study, the gtf gene from Pediococcus parvulus 2.6 was heterologously expressed in Lactobacillus paracasei NFBC 338...
- Pediococcus stilesii sp. nov., isolated from maize grainsCharles M A P Franz
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food, Institute for Hygiene and Toxicology, Haid und Neu Strasse 9, D 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 56:329-33. 2006..16S rRNA gene sequence analysis revealed that the organism belongs to the genus Pediococcus, with Pediococcus pentosaceus and Pediococcus acidilactici as nearest neighbours...
- Rapid identification of the three major species of dairy obligate heterofermenters Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus fermentum and Lactobacillus parabuchneri by species-specific duplex PCRMonika Coton
Adria Normandie, Villers Bocage, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 284:150-7. 2008..The non-OHL isolates were identified to the Leuconostoc, Lactobacillus, Weisella, Pediococcus or Streptococcus genera...
- Effect of some nutritional and environmental parameters on the production of diacetyl and on starch consumption by Pediococcus pentosaceus and Lactobacillus acidophilus in submerged culturesM L Escamilla
Depto Biotecnología, University of Autónoma Metropolitana Iztapalapa, Mexico City, Mexico
J Appl Microbiol 88:142-53. 2000Three series of 5-day submerged cultures with Pediococcus pentosaceus MITJ-10 and Lactobacillus acidophilus Hansen 1748 were carried out in starch-based media, and the effect of cultural factors on the changes of starch, diacetyl and ..
- Pediocin SA-1, an antimicrobial peptide from Pediococcus acidilactici NRRL B5627: production conditions, purification and characterizationSofia Anastasiadou
Department of Hygiene and Technology of Food of Animal Origin, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54006, Greece
Bioresour Technol 99:5384-90. 2008Fermentation broths of Pediococcus acidilactici NRRL B5627 exhibited a certain antimicrobial activity due to a bacteriocin produced during early growth and until the stationary phase of growth was reached (at optimum of 60% dissolved ..
- Assessment of potential probiotic properties of Lactobacillus spp., Lactococcus spp., and Pediococcus spp. strains isolated from kefirFirat Sabir
Dept of Biology, Faculty of Science, Ankara Univ, Ankara, Turkey
J Food Sci 75:M568-73. 2010..Lactococcus spp., and Pediococcus spp., were determined. Lactic acid levels produced by strains were 8.1 to 17.4 mg/L. The L...
- Chimeras of mature pediocin PA-1 fused to the signal peptide of enterocin P permits the cloning, production, and expression of pediocin PA-1 in Lactococcus lactisMaria Martin
Departamento de Nutricion, Bromatologia y Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Avenida Puerta de Hierro s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Food Prot 70:2792-8. 2007Chimeras of pediocin PA-1 (PedA-1), a bacteriocin produced by Pediococcus acidilactici PLBH9, fused to the signal peptide of enterocin P (EntP), a sec-dependent bacteriocin produced by Enterococcus faecium P13, permitted the production ..
- Lactic acid bacteria as reducing and capping agent for the fast and efficient production of silver nanoparticlesLiesje Sintubin
Laboratory of Microbial Ecology and Technology LabMET, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, 9000, Gent, Belgium
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 84:741-9. 2009..Only lactic acid bacteria, Lactobacillus spp., Pediococcus pentosaceus, Enterococcus faecium, and Lactococcus garvieae, were able to reduce silver...
- Analyses of bacterial communities in meju, a Korean traditional fermented soybean bricks, by cultivation-based and pyrosequencing methodsYi Seul Kim
Agricultural Microbiology Team, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration, Suwon, 441 707, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 49:340-8. 2011..meju samples showed that the dominant species were related to members of the genera Bacillus, Enterococcus, and Pediococcus. The community DNAs extracted from nine different meju samples were analyzed by barcoded pyrosequencing method ..
- Cow teat skin, a potential source of diverse microbial populations for cheese productionIsabelle Verdier-Metz
INRA UR545 Fromagères, Aurillac, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:326-33. 2012..species as well as 66 identified species, mainly belonging to those commonly found in raw milk (Enterococcus, Pediococcus, Enterobacter, Pantoea, Aerococcus, and Staphylococcus)...
- Homologues and bioengineered derivatives of LtnJ vary in ability to form D-alanine in the lantibiotic lacticin 3147Srinivas Suda
Department of Microbiology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
J Bacteriol 194:708-14. 2012..Homologues of LtnJ are rare but have been identified in silico in Staphylococcus aureus C55 (SacJ), Pediococcus pentosaceus FBB61 (PenN), and Nostoc punctiforme PCC73102 (NpnJ, previously called NpunJ [P. D. Cotter et al...
- Screening for Listeria monocytogenes surrogate strains applicable to food processing by ultrahigh pressure and pulsed electric fieldJoy G Waite-Cusic
Department of Food Science and Technology, 2015 Fyffe Court, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Food Prot 74:1655-61. 2011..Potential surrogates tested include four Lactobacillus spp., a Pediococcus sp., and a Listeria innocua strain. These were compared with nine L...
- Discrimination among Pediocin AcH/PA-1 producer strains by comparison of pedB and pedD amplified genes and by multiplex PCR assayD Mora
Department of Food Science and Microbiology, Industrial Microbiology Section, University of Milano, Italy
Syst Appl Microbiol 21:454-60. 1998b>Pediococcus acidilactici, Pediococcus parvulus and Lactobacillus plantarum pediocin AcH/PA-1 produces strains were studied with the aim to investigate their common genetic pediocin determinant using pedA, pedB, pedC and pedD gene-..
- Potential of wine-associated lactic acid bacteria to degrade biogenic aminesAlmudena García-Ruiz
Instituto de Investigación Ciencias en la Alimentación CIAL, CSIC UAM, C Nicolás Cabrera, 9 Campus de Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 148:115-20. 2011..The greatest biogenic amine-degrading ability was exhibited by 9 strains belonging to the Lactobacillus and Pediococcus groups, and most of them were able to simultaneously degrade at least two of the three studied biogenic amines...
- Application of Lactobacillus fermentum HL57 and Pediococcus acidilactici SP979 as potential probiotics in the manufacture of traditional Iberian dry-fermented sausagesSantiago Ruiz-Moyano
Nutricion y Bromatologia, Escuela de Ingenierías Agrarias, Universidad de Extremadura, Ctra de Cáceres s n, 06071 Badajoz, Spain
Food Microbiol 28:839-47. 2011..On the contrary, P. acidilactici SP979 did not notably modify the physicochemical parameters or the sensory quality of Iberian dry-fermented sausages when compared to the autochthonous microbial population present in the control batch...
- Pediocin production in milk by Pediococcus acidilactici in co-culture with Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricusGeorge A Somkuti
Eastern Regional Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Wyndmoor, PA 19038, USA
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 37:65-9. 2010The production of pediocin in milk by Pediococcus acidilactici was evaluated in co-culture with the dairy fermentation cultures Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus...
- The combination of mixed lactic acid bacteria and dietary fiber lowers serum cholesterol levels and fecal harmful enzyme activities in ratsDo Kyung Lee
College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University, Seoul, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 34:23-9. 2011..2 mL of mixed LAB (Bifidobacterium longum SPM1205, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and SAFELAC isolated from Pediococcus pentosaceus) supplement (10(7) ∼ 10(8) colony forming units per day) was orally administered to male Sprague-..
- Pediocin PA-1 production during repeated-cycle batch culture of immobilized Pediococcus acidilactici UL5 cellsKarim Naghmouchi
Dairy Research Centre STELA, Pavillon Paul Comtois, Universite Laval, Quebec, QC, Canada
J Biosci Bioeng 105:513-7. 2008Pediocin PA-1 production by Pediococcus acidilactici UL5 cells immobilized in kappa-carrageenan/locust bean gum gel beads was studied during repeated-cycle batch (RCB) culture with pH control in Man Rogosa and Sharpe (MRS) broth ..
- Short-chain fatty acid formation in the hindgut of rats fed native and fermented oat fibre concentratesAdele M Lambo-Fodje
Division of Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Department of Food Technology, Engineering and Nutrition, Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University, SE 221 00, Lund, Sweden
Br J Nutr 96:47-55. 2006..of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus (V2), the exopolysaccharide-producing strain Pediococcus damnosus 2.6 (Pd) and L. reuteri (Lr)...
- Autolytic activity and pediocin-induced lysis in Pediococcus acidilactici and Pediococcus pentosaceus strainsD Mora
Department of Food Science and Microbiology, University of Milano, Italy
J Appl Microbiol 94:561-70. 2003To evaluate the autolytic phenotype of Pediococcus acidilactici and P. pentosaceus, the peptidoglycan hydrolases content and the effect of pediocin AcH/PA-1 and autolysins on cell lysis.
- Selection and use of autochthonous mixed starter for lactic acid fermentation of carrots, French beans or marrowsRaffaella di Cagno
Dipartimento di Protezione delle Piante e Microbiologia Applicata, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Int J Food Microbiol 127:220-8. 2008..Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Lactobacillus plantarum, Weissella soli/Weissella koreensis, Enterococcus faecalis, Pediococcus pentosaceus and Lactobacillus fermentum were identified from raw carrots, French beans and marrows by partial ..
- Random amplified polymorphic DNA-PCR based cloning of markers to identify the beer-spoilage strains of Lactobacillus brevis, Pediococcus damnosus, Lactobacillus collinoides and Lactobacillus coryniformisT Fujii
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, Fukuura, Kanazawa, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
J Appl Microbiol 98:1209-20. 2005..In order to systematically identify genes that contribute to beer-spoilage, large-scale random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD)-based cloning methods was carried out...
- Multi-loci sequence typing (MLST) for two lacto-acid bacteria (LAB) species: Pediococcus parvulus and P. damnosusGautier Calmin
Plants and Pathogens Group, Research Institute Earth Nature and Landscape, School of Engineering of Lullier, University of Applied Sciences of Western Switzerland, 150 route de Presinge, 1254 Jussy, Switzerland
Mol Biotechnol 40:170-9. 2008..are laborious, time consuming and inaccurate and often lead to misidentification within some genera such as Pediococcus. Molecular identification based on suitable marker genes could be an attractive alternative to conventional ..
- Rich nutrition from the poorest - cereal fermentations in Africa and AsiaM J Rob Nout
Laboratory of Food Microbiology, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Food Microbiol 26:685-92. 2009..Lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus, Pediococcus), Enterobacter spp...
- Global Mechanisms of Bacteriocin Resistance in ListeriaKurt Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..The research ultimately will lead to better methods for prevention of food contamination and disease caused by the deadly pathogen, Listeria monocytogenes. ..