Genomes and Genes
Alias: Pediococcus Balcke 1884 (sic), Pediococcus Claussen 1903
Publications121 found, 100 shown here
- Characterisation of prototype Nurmi cultures using culture-based microbiological techniques and PCR-DGGESinead M Waters
Alltech Ireland, Sarney, Summerhill Road, Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland
Int J Food Microbiol 110:268-77. 2006..species from the genera Lactobacillus, Lactococcus, Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus, Clostridium, Escherichia, Pediococcus and Enterobacterium as well as members of the genera, Actinomyces, Bacteroides, Propionibacterium, ..
- Beer spoilage bacteria and hop resistanceKanta Sakamoto
Fundamental Research Laboratory, Asahi Breweries, Ltd 1 21, Midori 1 chome, Moriya shi, Ibaraki 302 0106, Japan
Int J Food Microbiol 89:105-24. 2003..They include some lactic acid bacteria such as Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus lindneri and Pediococcus damnosus, and some Gram-negative bacteria such as Pectinatus cerevisiiphilus, Pectinatus frisingensis and ..
- Genomic organization of lactic acid bacteriaB E Davidson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 70:161-83. 1996..Lactococcus lactis and Streptococcus thermophilus, and members of the genera Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Pediococcus and Carnobacterium, is reviewed. The genomes contain a chromosome within the size range of 1.8 to 3.4 Mbp...
- The biodiversity of predominant lactic acid bacteria in dolo and pito wort for the production of sorghum beerH Sawadogo-Lingani
Département Technologie Alimentaire IRSAT CNRST, 03 BP 7047, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
J Appl Microbiol 103:765-77. 2007..To quantify and identify the predominant lactic acid bacteria (LAB) in dolo and pito wort processing, and to examine their biodiversity at strain level...
- Quantitative analysis of the intestinal bacterial community in one- to three-week-old commercially reared broiler chickens fed conventional or antibiotic-free vegetable-based dietsM G Wise
Poultry Microbiological Safety Research Unit, Russell Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Athens, GA 30605, USA
J Appl Microbiol 102:1138-49. 2007....
- The effect of probiotics and organic acids on Shiga-toxin 2 gene expression in enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7Christine M Carey
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Guelph Food Research Center, 93 Stone Road West, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 5C9
J Microbiol Methods 73:125-32. 2008..Thus, the effect of Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Bifidobacterium strains on stx2A expression levels in STEC was investigated...
- Control of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in corn silage with or without various inoculants: efficacy and mode of actionA F Pedroso
Department of Animal Sciences, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32606, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:1098-104. 2010..coli O157:H7 (EC); EC and 1 x 10(6) cfu/g of Pediococcus pentosaceus and Propionibacterium freudenreichii (EC+BII); EC and 1 x 10(6) cfu/g of Lactobacillus buchneri (EC+..
- Characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from a Thai low-salt fermented fish product and the role of garlic as substrate for fermentationC Paludan-Müller
Danish Institute for Fisheries Research, Department of Seafood Research, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Int J Food Microbiol 46:219-29. 1999..In addition, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus pentosus and Pediococcus pentosaceus were isolated from raw materials...
- Detection and characterization of a bacteriocin produced by Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris R isolated from radishZ Yildirim
Department of Food Science and Arkansas Biotechnology Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
Lett Appl Microbiol 26:297-304. 1998..Staphylococcus, Listeria, Bacillus, Micrococcus, Enterococcus, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Streptococcus and Pediococcus spp., but was not active against any Gram-negative bacteria...
- The development of lactic acid bacteria and Lactobacillus buchneri and their effects on the fermentation of alfalfa silageR J Schmidt
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark 19716 2150, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:5005-10. 2009..buchneri 40788 (4 x 10(5) cfu/g) and Pediococcus pentosaceus (1 x 10(5) cfu/g; LBPP)...
- Purification, characterization, and primary structure of a novel cell wall hydrolytic amidase, CwhA, from Achromobacter lyticusS Li
Division of Protein Chemistry, Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biochem 127:1033-9. 2000..Escherichia coli more efficiently than Micrococcus luteus, Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus faecalis, and Pediococcus acidilactici...
- [Microbiological and clinical studies of vancomycin resistant Leuconostoc spp. and Pediococcus spp. isolated from septicemia patients]K Kikuchi
Department of Medicine, Tokyo Women's Medical College
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:1084-92. 1994..and Pediococcus spp...
- Characterization of anti-Listeria bacteriocins isolated from shellfish: potential antimicrobials to control non-fermented seafoodAna Luísa Pinto
Escola Superior de Biotecnologia, Universidade Catolica Portuguesa, R Dr Antonio Bernardino de Almeida, Porto, Portugal
Int J Food Microbiol 129:50-8. 2009..using genus- and species-specific primers, and confirmed by 16S rDNA sequencing, as Enterococcus faecium and Pediococcus pentosaceus...
- Lactobacillus plantarum gene clusters encoding putative cell-surface protein complexes for carbohydrate utilization are conserved in specific gram-positive bacteriaRoland Siezen
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences WCFS, Wageningen, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 7:126. 2006....
- Identification and characterization of two bacteriocin-producing bacteria isolated from garlic and ginger rootM E Janes
Department of Food Science, Center for Food Safety and Quality IFSE, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
J Food Prot 62:899-904. 1999..Lactocin GI3 had a broader spectrum, inhibiting Bacillus, Clostridium, Listeria, Enterococcus, Leuconostoc, Pediococcus, and Staphylococcus species...
- Functional properties of selected starter cultures for sour maize breadMojisola O Edema
Department of Microbiology, College of Natural Sciences, University of Agriculture, P M B 2240, Abeokuta, Nigeria
Food Microbiol 25:616-25. 2008..The organisms previously identified as Lactobacillus plantarum, Lb. brevis, Lb. fermentum, Lb. acidophilus, Pediococcus acidilactici, Leuconostoc mesenteroides and Leuconostoc dextranicum and Saccharomyces cerevisiae were used ..
- Species diversity and relative abundance of vaginal lactic acid bacteria from women in Uganda and KoreaL Jin
Department of Oral Biology, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Appl Microbiol 102:1107-15. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the species richness and relative abundance of Lactobacillus and other lactic acid bacteria in women of two geographically distant countries, Uganda and Korea...
- Microbial diversity of traditional Vietnamese alcohol fermentation starters (banh men) as determined by PCR-mediated DGGEVu Nguyen Thanh
Department of Microbiology, Food Industries Research Institute, 301 Nguyen Trai, Thanh Xuan, Hanoi, Vietnam
Int J Food Microbiol 128:268-73. 2008..The most frequent LAB were Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus plantarum, L. brevis, Weissella confusa, and W. paramesenteroides...
- Modelling the effect of high pressure on the inactivation kinetics of a pressure-resistant strain of Pediococcus damnosus in phosphate buffer and gilt-head seabream (Sparus aurata)E Z Panagou
Institute of Technology of Agricultural Products, National Agricultural Research Foundation, Lycovrissi, Greece
J Appl Microbiol 102:1499-507. 2007The aim of this research was to: (i) determine the inactivation pattern of a pressure-resistant strain of Pediococcus damnosus by high hydrostatic pressure in phosphate buffer (pH 6...
- Characterisation and transferability of antibiotic resistance genes from lactic acid bacteria isolated from Irish pork and beef abattoirsNiamh Toomey
Department of Food Safety, Ashtown Food Research Centre, Ashtown, Dublin 15, Ireland
Res Microbiol 161:127-35. 2010..Enterococcus faecalis strains were susceptible to vancomycin. L. plantarum, L. mesenteroides and Pediococcus pentosaceus were intrinsically resistant to vancomycin...
- Biodiversity of the microbial community in a Spanish farmhouse cheese as revealed by culture-dependent and culture-independent methodsHikmate Abriouel
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Fuentenueva s n, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 127:200-8. 2008..plantarum and Lb. brevis. Other lactic-acid bacteria identified were Pediococcus urinaequi, Leuconostoc pseudomesenteroides, Leuc...
- The in vitro activity of daptomycin against 514 Gram-positive aerobic clinical isolatesA King
Department of Infection, KCL, St Thomas Hospital Campus, London SE1 7EH, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:219-23. 2001..Lactococcus spp., Leuconostoc spp., Pediococcus spp. and isolates of Enterococcus casseliflavus and Enterococcus gallinarum, daptomycin MICs were 0...
- Taxonomic structure and monitoring of the dominant population of lactic acid bacteria during wheat flour sourdough type I propagation using Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis startersSonya Siragusa
Dipartimento di Protezione delle Piante e Microbiologia Applicata, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Bari, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:1099-109. 2009..lactis, Pediococcus pentosaceus, and Lactobacillus spp. as the dominant species of the raw wheat flour...
- Evaluation of the efficacy of a probiotic containing Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus, and Pediococcus strains in promoting broiler performance and modulating cecal microflora composition and metabolic activitiesK C Mountzouris
Department of Animal Nutrition, Agricultural University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, 11855, Greece
Poult Sci 86:309-17. 2007..The probiotic contained 2 Lactobacillus strains, 1 Bifidobacterium strain, 1 Enterococcus strain, and 1 Pediococcus strain. Four hundred 1-d-old male Cobb broilers were allocated in 4 experimental treatments for 6 wk...
- Screening and selection of lactic acid bacteria strains suitable for ensiling grassE Saarisalo
Animal Production Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland, Jokioinen, Finland
J Appl Microbiol 102:327-36. 2007..The strains capable of rapidly lowering the pH of the grass matrix and with low proteolytic activity were assessed in laboratory-scale silos in a grass matrix containing natural microbial flora...
- Effects of orally administered probiotic Pediococcus acidilactici on the small and large intestine of weaning piglets. A qualitative and quantitative micro-anatomical studyA Di Giancamillo
Department of Veterinary Sciences and Technologies for Food Safety, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Histol Histopathol 23:651-64. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of dietary supplementation with the probiotic Pediococcus acidilactici on the piglet intestine, on circulating lymphocytes, and on aspects of piglet performance during ..
- Effect of applying molasses or inoculants containing homofermentative or heterofermentative bacteria at two rates on the fermentation and aerobic stability of corn silageC M Huisden
Department of Animal Sciences, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:690-7. 2009..Buchneri 500 was applied at the recommended rate of 8 mg/kg fresh forage to supply 1 x 10(5) cfu/g of Pediococcus pentosaceus 12455 and 4 x 10(5) cfu/g of Lactobacillus buchneri 40788 (BB) or at twice the recommended rate (..
- Oligonucleotide microarrays for the detection and identification of viable beer spoilage bacteriaD G Weber
Institute of Technical Microbiology, Hamburg University of Technology, Hamburg, Germany
J Appl Microbiol 105:951-62. 2008..These belong to the species of the genera Lactobacillus, Megasphaera, Pediococcus and Pectinatus.
- Exploitation of Acha (Digitaria exiliis) and Iburu (Digitaria iburua) flours: chemical characterization and their use for sourdough fermentationRossana Coda
Department of Biologia e Chimica Agro Forestale ed Ambientale, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Food Microbiol 27:1043-50. 2010..100±20 mg/kg). Pediococcus pentosaceus was the dominant species in both the flours...
- Antimicrobial activity of Enterococcus faecium L50, a strain producing enterocins L50 (L50A and L50B), P and Q, against beer-spoilage lactic acid bacteria in broth, wort (hopped and unhopped), and alcoholic and non-alcoholic lager beersAntonio Basanta
Departamento de Nutricion, Bromatologia y Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 125:293-307. 2008..e., Lactobacillus brevis and Pediococcus damnosus), which is mainly due to the production of EntL50 (EntL50A and EntL50B)...
- Effect of culture conditions on production of butter flavor compounds by Pediococcus pentosaceus and Lactobacillus acidophilus in semisolid maize-based culturesM L Escamilla-Hurtado
Dept Biotecnología, Univ Autonoma Metropolitana Iztapalapa, Ap P 55 535, Deleg Iztapalapa, C P 09340, Mexico City, D F, Mexico
Int J Food Microbiol 105:305-16. 2005Two series of 120 h mixed cultures of Pediococcus pentosaceus MITJ-10 and Lactobacillus acidophilus Hansen 1748 were grown in semisolid maize-based media, applying an orthogonal factorial design in order to establish the most adequate ..
- Influence of Pediococcus-based probiotic on coccidiosis in broiler chickensS H Lee
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, USDA ARS, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Poult Sci 86:63-6. 2007..supplements can influence host immunity against enteric diseases prompted us to investigate the role of a Pediococcus-based probiotic on coccidiosis in broiler chickens...
- Study of the micro-organisms associated with the fermented bread (khamir) produced from sorghum in Gizan region, Saudi ArabiaM A Gassem
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agriculture, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Appl Microbiol 86:221-5. 1999..The microorganisms, which were isolated and characterized during the 24 h fermentation, included: bacteria (Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus brevis, Lact. lactis subsp. lactis, Lact. cellobiosus, Klebsiella oxytoca, Kl...
- Partial characterization of bacteriocins produced by human Lactococcus lactis and Pediococccus acidilactici isolatesM Millette
INRS Institut Armand Frappier, Research Laboratories in Sciences Applied to Food, Canadian Irradiation Centre, 531, boulevard des Prairies, Laval, Quebec, Canada, H7V 1B7
J Appl Microbiol 102:274-82. 2007..The aim of this study was to isolate bacteriocin-producing lactic acid bacteria (LAB) from human intestine...
- Assessment of the effects of Nurmi-type cultures and a defined probiotic preparation on a Salmonella typhimurium 29E challenge in vivoSinead M Waters
Alltech Ireland Ltd, Sarney, Summerhill Road, Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland
J Food Prot 68:1222-7. 2005..culture (NTC), cultured cecal contents, and a dual-strain probiotic, containing Enterococcus faecalis and Pediococcus pentosaceus, on Salmonella Typhimurium colonization were evaluated in a specific-pathogen-free bird model...
- Nucleotide sequence, structural organization and host range of pRS4, a small cryptic Pediococcus pentosaceus plasmid that contains two cassettes commonly found in other lactic acid bacteriaM Teresa Alegre
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Escuela Politecnica Superior, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 27002 Lugo, Spain
FEMS Microbiol Lett 250:151-6. 2005The complete nucleotide sequence of the cryptic plasmid pRS4 (3550 bp) from Pediococcus pentosaceus RS4 was determined. Sequence analysis revealed the presence of three open reading frames (ORFs)...
- Production of active pediocin PA-1 in Escherichia coli using a thioredoxin gene fusion expression approach: cloning, expression, purification, and characterizationLucie Beaulieu
Biotechnology Research Institute, National Research Council, 6100 Royalmount Avenue, Montreal, QC 4P 2R2, Canada
Can J Microbiol 53:1246-58. 2007..a 4- to 5-fold increase in production yield was obtained, by comparison with the PA-1 produced naturally by Pediococcus acidilactici PAC 1.0...
- Robustness of Lactobacillus plantarum starters during daily propagation of wheat flour sourdough type IFabio Minervini
Dipartimento di Protezione delle Piante e Microbiologia Applicata, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Via Amendola 165 A, 70126 Bari, Italy
Food Microbiol 27:897-908. 2010..plantarum emerged. All emerging strains of L. plantarum showed different RAPD-PCR profiles. L. rossiae and Pediococcus pentosaceus were only found in the control and sourdough started with strain 12H1...
- New consensus guidelines from the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute for antimicrobial susceptibility testing of infrequently isolated or fastidious bacteriaJames H Jorgensen
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:280-6. 2007..the instrinsically vancomycin-resistant gram-positive organisms Erysipelothrix, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, and Pediococcus species...
- Biofilm formation in an ice cream plantGulten Tiryaki Gunduz
Food Engineering Department, Ege University, 35100, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 89:329-36. 2006..plant included Staphyloccus, Bacillus, Listeria and lactic acid bacteria such as Streptococcus, Leuconostoc or Pediococcus spp...
- Isolation and identification of tetracycline resistant lactic acid bacteria from pre-packed sliced meat productsD Gevers
Department of Biochemistry, Physiology and Microbiology, University of Gent, Belgium
Syst Appl Microbiol 23:279-84. 2000..with whole-cell protein profiling revealed that the total strain set represented four different species: Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus sakei subsp. carnosus and Lactobacillus curvatus...
- Short communication: An evaluation of the effectiveness of Lactobacillus buchneri 40788 to alter fermentation and improve the aerobic stability of corn silage in farm silosL J Mari
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716 2150, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:1174-6. 2009..buchneri 40788 alone or this organism combined with Pediococcus pentosaceus during May and June 2007...
- Exploring the use of natural antimicrobial agents and pulsed electric fields to control spoilage bacteria during a beer production processM A Galvagno
Laboratório de Microbiologia Industrial, Departamento de Ingenieria Quimica, Facultad de Ingenieria, Pabellón de Industrias, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Ciudad Universitaria 1428, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 39:170-6. 2007..The addition of 0.0002 mg/ml nisin, 0.1 mg/ml chitosan or 0.3 mg/ml hops, selectively inhibited growth of Pediococcus sp. in more than 10,000 times with respect to brewing yeast in a mixed culture. In the presence of 0...
- Quinupristin-dalfopristin resistance among gram-positive bacteria in TaiwanK T Luh
Departments of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medical Technology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taiwan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:3374-80. 2000..100%), Lactobacillus spp. (50%), and Pediococcus spp. (87%). All isolates of MSSA, MRSA, S...
- Characterization and antimicrobial spectrum of bifidocin B, a bacteriocin produced by Bifidobacterium bifidum NCFB 1454Z Yildirim
Department of Food Science and Arkansas Biotechnology Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72704, USA
J Food Prot 61:47-51. 1998..pathogens and food spoilage bacteria such as Listeria, Enterococcus, Bacillus, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, and Pediococcus species but was not active against the other gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria tested...
- Genetic and biochemical characterization of the Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis bacteriophage LL-H lysinA Vasala
Department of Genetics, University of Oulu, Finland
Appl Environ Microbiol 61:4004-11. 1995..delbrueckii, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus helveticus, and Pediococcus damnosus cell walls...
- A survey of the microbial and chemical composition of seven semi-ripened Provola dei Nebrodi Sicilian cheesesT Cronin
Teagasc, Biotechnology Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland
J Appl Microbiol 103:1128-39. 2007....
- Identification of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Tarhana, a traditional Turkish fermented foodIlkin Yucel Sengun
Department of Food Engineering, Food Microbiology Section, Faculty of Engineering, University of Ege, Turkey
Int J Food Microbiol 135:105-11. 2009..b>Pediococcus acidilactici were found to constitute 27% of the isolates, 19% were identified as Streptococcus thermophilus, ..
- Transport of glycerol by Pediococcus pentosaceus isolated from wineSergio E Pasteris
Facultad de Bioquimica, Quimica y Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de Tucuman, Tucuman, Argentina
Food Microbiol 25:545-9. 2008b>Pediococcus pentosaceus N(5)p is a strain isolated from wine that uses glycerol as its sole carbon source, mainly via the glycerol kinase pathway. The transport of glycerol was investigated in resting cells of this strain...
- Isolation and characterization of pediocin AcH chimeric protein mutants with altered bactericidal activityK W Miller
Departments of Molecular Biology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming 82071, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:1997-2005. 1998..plantarum NCDO955, Listeria innocua Lin11, Enterococcus faecalis M1, Pediococcus acidilactici LB42, and Leuconostoc mesenteroides Ly...
- Interactions of nisin and pediocin PA-1 with closely related lactic acid bacteria that manifest over 100-fold differences in bacteriocin sensitivityM H Bennik
Agrotechnological Research Institute ATO DLO, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 63:3628-36. 1997..sake DSM20497 and Pediococcus dextrinicus and Pediococcus pentosaccus...
- Development of innovative pediocin PA-1 by DNA shuffling among class IIa bacteriocinsTatsuya Tominaga
Saitama Industrial Technology Center North Institute, 2 133 Suehiro, Kumagaya, Saitama 360 0031, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5292-9. 2007..Furthermore, the active shuffled mutants showed increased activity against various species of Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Carnobacterium...
- Inactivation of oenological lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus hilgardii and Pediococcus pentosaceus) by wine phenolic compoundsA Garcia-Ruiz
Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales CSIC, Juan de la Cierva, Madrid, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 107:1042-53. 2009To investigate the inactivation properties of different classes of phenolic compounds present in wine against two wine isolates of Lactobacillus hilgardii and Pediococcus pentosaceus, and to explore their inactivation mechanism.
- Susceptibility of Pediococcus isolates to antimicrobial compounds in relation to hop-resistance and beer-spoilageMonique Haakensen
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Room 2841 Royal University Hospital, 103 Hospital Drive, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W8, Canada
BMC Microbiol 9:190. 2009..microbiology and as potential pathogens in immuno-compromised humans, bacterial isolates belonging to the genus Pediococcus are best known for their association with contamination of ethanol fermentation processes (beer, wine, or fuel ..
- Effects of stimulation of copper bioleaching on microbial community in vineyard soil and copper mining wasteRobson Andreazza
Department of Soil Science, Faculty of Agronomy, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, 7712 Bento Gonçalves Ave, Porto Alegre, RS, 91541 000, Brazil
Biol Trace Elem Res 146:124-33. 2012..Silicibacter sp., Bacillus sp., Paracoccus sp., Pediococcus sp., a Myxococcales, Clostridium sp., Thiomonas sp., a firmicute, Caulobacter vibrioides, Serratia sp...
- Characteristics of isolated lactic acid bacteria and their effectiveness to improve stylo (Stylosanthes guianensis Sw.) silage quality at various temperaturesQinhua Liu
Department of Grassland Science, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, China
Anim Sci J 83:128-35. 2012Two lactic acid bacteria (LAB) strains, Pediococcus pentosaceus SC1 and Lactobacillus paraplantarum SC2 isolated from king grass silage, were characterized and their effectiveness to improve the silage fermentation quality of stylo (..
- Potential of wine-associated lactic acid bacteria to degrade biogenic aminesAlmudena García-Ruiz
Instituto de Investigación Ciencias en la Alimentación CIAL, CSIC UAM, C Nicolás Cabrera, 9 Campus de Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 148:115-20. 2011..The greatest biogenic amine-degrading ability was exhibited by 9 strains belonging to the Lactobacillus and Pediococcus groups, and most of them were able to simultaneously degrade at least two of the three studied biogenic amines...
- Role of specific components from commercial inactive dry yeast winemaking preparations on the growth of wine lactic acid bacteriaInmaculada Andújar-Ortiz
Instituto de Investigacion en Ciencias de la Alimentacion, Campus de la Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 58:8392-9. 2010..on the growth of three representative wine lactic acid bacteria (Oenococcus oeni, Lactobacillus hilgardii and Pediococcus pentosaceus) has been studied...
- Detection, cellular localization and antibacterial activity of two lytic enzymes of Pediococcus acidilactici ATCC 8042I García-Cano
Departamento de Alimentos y Biotecnologia, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico, DF, Mexico
J Appl Microbiol 111:607-15. 2011In Pediococcus acidilactici ATCC 8042, two activities of peptidoglycan hydrolase (PGH) with lytic effect against Micrococcus lysodeikticus and Staphylococcus aureus have been detected...
- Reclassification of Pediococcus dextrinicus (Coster and White 1964) back 1978 (Approved Lists 1980) as Lactobacillus dextrinicus comb. nov., and emended description of the genus LactobacillusMonique Haakensen
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 2841 Royal University Hospital, 103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon SK S7N 0W8, Canada
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:615-21. 2009The taxonomic status of Pediococcus dextrinicus is described and transfer of the species to the genus Lactobacillus, with the name Lactobacillus dextrinicus comb. nov., is proposed...
- Analyses of bacterial communities in meju, a Korean traditional fermented soybean bricks, by cultivation-based and pyrosequencing methodsYi Seul Kim
Agricultural Microbiology Team, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration, Suwon, 441 707, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 49:340-8. 2011..meju samples showed that the dominant species were related to members of the genera Bacillus, Enterococcus, and Pediococcus. The community DNAs extracted from nine different meju samples were analyzed by barcoded pyrosequencing method ..
- Association of beta-glucan endogenous production with increased stress tolerance of intestinal lactobacilliHelena M Stack
Teagasc, Moorepark Food Research Centre, Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:500-7. 2010..In this study, the gtf gene from Pediococcus parvulus 2.6 was heterologously expressed in Lactobacillus paracasei NFBC 338...
- Chemical and rheological properties of the beta-glucan produced by Pediococcus parvulus 2.6Susana E Velasco
Departamento de Quimica Aplicada y Departamento de Ciencia y Tecnologia de Polimeros, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad del Pais Vasco, 20080 San Sebastian, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 57:1827-34. 2009Some physicochemical and rheological properties of the exopolysaccharide (EPS) produced by Pediococcus parvulus 2.6 were examined...
- Screening for Listeria monocytogenes surrogate strains applicable to food processing by ultrahigh pressure and pulsed electric fieldJoy G Waite-Cusic
Department of Food Science and Technology, 2015 Fyffe Court, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Food Prot 74:1655-61. 2011..Potential surrogates tested include four Lactobacillus spp., a Pediococcus sp., and a Listeria innocua strain. These were compared with nine L...
- Cow teat skin, a potential source of diverse microbial populations for cheese productionIsabelle Verdier-Metz
INRA UR545 Fromagères, Aurillac, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:326-33. 2012..species as well as 66 identified species, mainly belonging to those commonly found in raw milk (Enterococcus, Pediococcus, Enterobacter, Pantoea, Aerococcus, and Staphylococcus)...
- Homologues and bioengineered derivatives of LtnJ vary in ability to form D-alanine in the lantibiotic lacticin 3147Srinivas Suda
Department of Microbiology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
J Bacteriol 194:708-14. 2012..Homologues of LtnJ are rare but have been identified in silico in Staphylococcus aureus C55 (SacJ), Pediococcus pentosaceus FBB61 (PenN), and Nostoc punctiforme PCC73102 (NpnJ, previously called NpunJ [P. D. Cotter et al...
- Temporal stability analysis of the microbiota in human feces by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis using universal and group-specific 16S rRNA gene primersTom Vanhoutte
Ghent University, Belgium
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 48:437-46. 2004..Bifidobacterium and Enterococcus and the Lactobacillus group, which also comprises the genera Leuconostoc, Pediococcus and Weisella) 16S rRNA gene primers was used...
- Application of Lactobacillus fermentum HL57 and Pediococcus acidilactici SP979 as potential probiotics in the manufacture of traditional Iberian dry-fermented sausagesSantiago Ruiz-Moyano
Nutricion y Bromatologia, Escuela de Ingenierías Agrarias, Universidad de Extremadura, Ctra de Cáceres s n, 06071 Badajoz, Spain
Food Microbiol 28:839-47. 2011..On the contrary, P. acidilactici SP979 did not notably modify the physicochemical parameters or the sensory quality of Iberian dry-fermented sausages when compared to the autochthonous microbial population present in the control batch...
- Assessment of potential probiotic properties of Lactobacillus spp., Lactococcus spp., and Pediococcus spp. strains isolated from kefirFirat Sabir
Dept of Biology, Faculty of Science, Ankara Univ, Ankara, Turkey
J Food Sci 75:M568-73. 2010..Lactococcus spp., and Pediococcus spp., were determined. Lactic acid levels produced by strains were 8.1 to 17.4 mg/L. The L...
- Increased inactivation of exopolysaccharide-producing Pediococcus parvulus in apple juice by combined treatment with enterocin AS-48 and high-intensity pulsed electric fieldPilar Martinez Viedma
Area de Microbiologia, Departamento de Ciencias de la Salud, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Jaen, 23071 Jaen, Spain
J Food Prot 73:39-43. 2010..175, 0.613, and 1.05 AU/ml) against the exopolysaccharide-producing cider spoilage strain Pediococcus parvulus 48 in apple juice in combination with high-intensity pulsed electric field (HIPEF) treatment (35 kV/cm ..
- Pediocin production in milk by Pediococcus acidilactici in co-culture with Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricusGeorge A Somkuti
Eastern Regional Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Wyndmoor, PA 19038, USA
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 37:65-9. 2010The production of pediocin in milk by Pediococcus acidilactici was evaluated in co-culture with the dairy fermentation cultures Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus...
- Quorum sensing in sourdough Lactobacillus plantarum DC400: induction of plantaricin A (PlnA) under co-cultivation with other lactic acid bacteria and effect of PlnA on bacterial and Caco-2 cellsRaffaella di Cagno
Dipartimento di Protezione delle Piante e Microbiologia Applicata, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Bari, Italy
Proteomics 10:2175-90. 2010..plantarum DC400. Compared to mono-cultures, Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis DPPMA174 and Pediococcus pentosaceus 2XA3 showed growth inhibition and decreased viability when co-cultured with L. plantarum DC400. L...
- Probiotic properties of non-conventional lactic acid bacteria: immunomodulation by Oenococcus oeniBenoit Foligne
Institut Pasteur de Lille, Lactic acid Bacteria and Mucosal Immunity, Center for Infection and Immunity of Lille, 1, rue du Pr Calmette, BP 245, F 59019 Lille, France
Int J Food Microbiol 140:136-45. 2010..or immune-stimulatory activities of 25 wine lactic acid bacteria belonging to Oenococcus oeni and Pediococcus parvulus. While cytokines released by peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) stimulated by P...
- Rich nutrition from the poorest - cereal fermentations in Africa and AsiaM J Rob Nout
Laboratory of Food Microbiology, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Food Microbiol 26:685-92. 2009..Lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus, Pediococcus), Enterobacter spp...
- Characterization of the properties of Pediococcus parvulus for probiotic or protective culture useTina Immerstrand
Department of Biotechnology, Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University, P O Box 124, 22100 Lund, Sweden
J Food Prot 73:960-6. 2010b>Pediococcus parvulus 2.6 (previously Pediococcus damnosus 2.6, here confirmed as P...
- Assessment of cell surface properties and adhesion potential of selected probiotic strainsH Xu
Division of Biomaterials Engineering, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon, Gangwon, Korea
Lett Appl Microbiol 49:434-42. 2009..To evaluate the physicochemical cell surface and adhesive properties of selected probiotic strains for human use...
- Effects of microbial inoculants on corn silage fermentation, microbial contents, aerobic stability, and milk production under field conditionsN B Kristensen
Department of Animal Health and Bioscience, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Aarhus University, DK 8830 Tjele, Denmark
J Dairy Sci 93:3764-74. 2010..Hansen A/S, Hørsholm, Denmark), Lactisil (inoculation with 1 x 10(5)Lactobacillus pentosus and 2.5 x 10(4)Pediococcus pentosaceus per gram of fresh matter; Chr...
- Lactic acid bacteria as reducing and capping agent for the fast and efficient production of silver nanoparticlesLiesje Sintubin
Laboratory of Microbial Ecology and Technology LabMET, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, 9000, Gent, Belgium
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 84:741-9. 2009..Only lactic acid bacteria, Lactobacillus spp., Pediococcus pentosaceus, Enterococcus faecium, and Lactococcus garvieae, were able to reduce silver...
- The efficacy of lactic acid bacteria Pediococcus acidilactici, lactose and formic acid as dietary supplements for turkeysS Wajda
Department of Commodity Science of Animal Raw Materials, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Oczapowskiego 5, 10 719 Olsztyn, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 13:45-51. 2010..this study was to evaluate the efficacy of the probiotic supplement Bactocell, containing lactic acid bacteria Pediococcus acidilactici, and lactose, administered to turkeys separately or in combination, as well as a formic acid ..
- The combination of mixed lactic acid bacteria and dietary fiber lowers serum cholesterol levels and fecal harmful enzyme activities in ratsDo Kyung Lee
College of Pharmacy, Sahmyook University, Seoul, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 34:23-9. 2011..2 mL of mixed LAB (Bifidobacterium longum SPM1205, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and SAFELAC isolated from Pediococcus pentosaceus) supplement (10(7) ∼ 10(8) colony forming units per day) was orally administered to male Sprague-..
- Pediococcus lolii sp. nov., isolated from ryegrass silageKatsumi Doi
Department of Genetic Resources Technology, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, 6 10 1 Hakozaki, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:1007-10. 2009..Phylogenetic analysis based on 16S rRNA gene sequences revealed that strain NGRI 0510Q(T) belongs to the genus Pediococcus and clusters within the Pediococcus acidilactici and Pediococcus pentosaceus group, with 98.2 and 96...
- Discrimination among Pediocin AcH/PA-1 producer strains by comparison of pedB and pedD amplified genes and by multiplex PCR assayD Mora
Department of Food Science and Microbiology, Industrial Microbiology Section, University of Milano, Italy
Syst Appl Microbiol 21:454-60. 1998b>Pediococcus acidilactici, Pediococcus parvulus and Lactobacillus plantarum pediocin AcH/PA-1 produces strains were studied with the aim to investigate their common genetic pediocin determinant using pedA, pedB, pedC and pedD gene-..
- Isolation, selection, and characterization of lactic acid bacteria for a competitive exclusion product to reduce shedding of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in cattleM M Brashears
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University, P O Box 42141, Lubbock, Texas 79409, USA
J Food Prot 66:355-63. 2003..and Pediococcus acidilactici were the most commonly identified LAB...
- Use of starter cultures of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts in the preparation of togwa, a Tanzanian fermented foodJ K Mugula
Department of Food Science, Agricultural University of Norway, PO Box 5036, N 1432 As, Norway
Int J Food Microbiol 83:307-18. 2003..bacteria (Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus cellobiosus, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus plantarum and Pediococcus pentosaceus) and yeasts (Candida pelliculosa, Candida tropicalis, Issatchenkia orientalis and Saccharomyes ..
- Evaluation of several modifications of an ecometric technique for assessment of media performanceJeffrey L Kornacki
Center for Food Safety, Department of Food Science, University of Georgia, Griffin, Georgia 30223, USA
J Food Prot 66:1727-32. 2003Recovery of Listeria monocytogenes 101M, Jonesia denitrificans, salmonellae, and Pediococcus sp. NRRL B-2354 across nine media was evaluated with three modified versions of an ecometric method...
- Pediocin production by Pediococcus acidilactici in solid state culture on a waste medium: process simulation and experimental resultsJ A Vázquez Alvarez
Instituto de Investigacions Marinas CSIC, r Eduardo Cabello, 6, 36208 Vigo, Galicia, Spain
Biotechnol Bioeng 85:676-82. 2004The production of pediocin by Pediococcus acidilactici was comparatively studied in submerged and solid-state culture, using polyurethane foam particles soaked in commercial (MRS) and waste media with various supplements, where product ..
- Diversity of lactic acid bacteria isolated from AOC Salers cheeseCécile Callon
Institut National de Recherche Agronomique, Unité de Recherches Fromagères, Aurillac, France
J Dairy Res 71:231-44. 2004..pseudomesenteroides, Streptococcus salivarius, Streptococcus millieri, Streptococcus macedonicus and Pediococcus pentosaceus...
- A putative glucan synthase gene dps detected in exopolysaccharide-producing Pediococcus damnosus and Oenococcus oeni strains isolated from wine and ciderEmilie Walling
Laboratoire de Biotechnologie et Microbiologie Appliquée, Faculté d Oenologie, Unité Associée INRA Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 33405 Talence, France
Int J Food Microbiol 98:53-62. 2005..A polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay was previously described for the detection of ropy Pediococcus damnosus strains in wine [J. Appl. Microbiol. 90 (2001) 535]...
- Random amplified polymorphic DNA-PCR based cloning of markers to identify the beer-spoilage strains of Lactobacillus brevis, Pediococcus damnosus, Lactobacillus collinoides and Lactobacillus coryniformisT Fujii
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, Fukuura, Kanazawa, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
J Appl Microbiol 98:1209-20. 2005..In order to systematically identify genes that contribute to beer-spoilage, large-scale random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD)-based cloning methods was carried out...
- Pediococcus stilesii sp. nov., isolated from maize grainsCharles M A P Franz
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food, Institute for Hygiene and Toxicology, Haid und Neu Strasse 9, D 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 56:329-33. 2006..16S rRNA gene sequence analysis revealed that the organism belongs to the genus Pediococcus, with Pediococcus pentosaceus and Pediococcus acidilactici as nearest neighbours...
- Autolytic activity and pediocin-induced lysis in Pediococcus acidilactici and Pediococcus pentosaceus strainsD Mora
Department of Food Science and Microbiology, University of Milano, Italy
J Appl Microbiol 94:561-70. 2003To evaluate the autolytic phenotype of Pediococcus acidilactici and P. pentosaceus, the peptidoglycan hydrolases content and the effect of pediocin AcH/PA-1 and autolysins on cell lysis.
- Purification and genetic characterization of plantaricin NC8, a novel coculture-inducible two-peptide bacteriocin from Lactobacillus plantarum NC8Antonio Maldonado
Departamento de Biotecnologia de Alimentos, Instituto de la Grasa, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, 41012 Seville, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:383-9. 2003..was isolated from Lactobacillus plantarum NC8 cultures which had been induced with Lactococcus lactis MG1363 or Pediococcus pentosaceus FBB63...
- Changes in membrane fatty acid composition of Pediococcus sp. strain NRRL B-2354 in response to growth conditions and its effect on thermal resistanceB A Annous
Eastern Regional Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania 19038, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:2857-62. 1999Membrane fatty acid composition and thermal resistance (D value) of Pediococcus sp...
- Nucleotide sequence and analysis of plasmid pMD136 from Pediococcus pentosaceus FBB61 (ATCC43200) involved in pediocin A productionA Giacomini
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Agrarie, University of Padova, Via Romea 16, Legnaro PD, I 35020, Italy
Plasmid 43:111-22. 2000The complete sequence of the 19515-bp plasmid pMD136 from Pediococcus pentosaceus FBB61 (ATCC43200) has been determined...
- Effect of some nutritional and environmental parameters on the production of diacetyl and on starch consumption by Pediococcus pentosaceus and Lactobacillus acidophilus in submerged culturesM L Escamilla
Depto Biotecnología, University of Autónoma Metropolitana Iztapalapa, Mexico City, Mexico
J Appl Microbiol 88:142-53. 2000Three series of 5-day submerged cultures with Pediococcus pentosaceus MITJ-10 and Lactobacillus acidophilus Hansen 1748 were carried out in starch-based media, and the effect of cultural factors on the changes of starch, diacetyl and ..
- Complete nucleotide sequence of pSMB 74, a plasmid encoding the production of pediocin AcH in Pediococcus acidilacticiA Motlagh
Department of Animal Science, University of Wyoming, Laramie 82071
Lett Appl Microbiol 18:305-12. 1994Several Pediococcus acidilactici strains produce a plasmid-encoded bacteriocin, pediocin AcH...
- Stimulation of starter culture for further reduction of foodborne pathogens during salami fermentationD H Kang
Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66501 1600, USA
J Food Prot 63:1492-5. 2000This study was conducted to determine if stimulated meat starter culture (MSC; Pediococcus acidilactici) would further control Escherichia coli O157:H7, Listeria monocytogenes, and Staphylococcus aureus during salami fermentation...
- A novel lantibiotic, nukacin ISK-1, of Staphylococcus warneri ISK-1: cloning of the structural gene and identification of the structureT Sashihara
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 64:2420-8. 2000Staphylococcus warneri ISK-1, which we had previously reported as Pediococcus sp. ISK-1, produces a novel bacteriocin, nukacin ISK-1...
- Dry sausage fermented by Lactobacillus rhamnosus strainsS Erkkila
Department of Food Technology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Int J Food Microbiol 64:205-10. 2001The ability of three probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus strains GG, E-97800 and LC-705 and one commercial Pediococcus pentosaceus starter strain (control) to produce dry sausage was studied...
- Direct polymerase chain reaction detection of ropy Pediococcus damnosus strains in wineE Gindreau
Faculté d Oenologie, Unité Associée INRA Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 351 Cours de la Liberation, 33405 Talence Cedex, France
J Appl Microbiol 90:535-42. 2001Glucan-producing strains of Pediococcus damnosus are considered as spoilage micro-organisms because synthesis of glucan leads to an unacceptable viscosity of wine...
- Short-chain fatty acid formation in the hindgut of rats fed native and fermented oat fibre concentratesAdele M Lambo-Fodje
Division of Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Department of Food Technology, Engineering and Nutrition, Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University, SE 221 00, Lund, Sweden
Br J Nutr 96:47-55. 2006..of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus (V2), the exopolysaccharide-producing strain Pediococcus damnosus 2.6 (Pd) and L. reuteri (Lr)...
- Global Mechanisms of Bacteriocin Resistance in ListeriaKurt Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..The research ultimately will lead to better methods for prevention of food contamination and disease caused by the deadly pathogen, Listeria monocytogenes. ..