Experts and Doctors on infant in Lusaka, Zambia
Locale: Lusaka, Zambia
- Mwape K, Phiri I, Praet N, Muma J, Zulu G, Van den Bossche P, et al. Taenia solium Infections in a rural area of Eastern Zambia-a community based study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1594 pubmed publisher..8% of the households visited lacking latrines. This study has recorded high taeniosis and cysticercosis prevalences and identified the need for further studies on transmission dynamics and impact of the disease on the local people. ..
- Mutale W, Godfrey Fausset P, Mwanamwenge M, Kasese N, Chintu N, Balabanova D, et al. Measuring health system strengthening: application of the balanced scorecard approach to rank the baseline performance of three rural districts in Zambia. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58650 pubmed publisher..Differences in performance were noted by district and residence in most domains with finance and service delivery performing poorly in all study districts. This tool could be valuable in monitoring and evaluation of health systems. ..
- Jovic G, Corlew D, Bowman K. Plastic and reconstructive surgery in Zambia: epidemiology of 16 years of practice. World J Surg. 2012;36:241-6 pubmed publisher..Age- and gender-related patterns were evident. These findings may inform the provision of resources for injury prevention, surgical training, and delivery of surgical services. ..
- Amadi B, Mwiya M, Sianongo S, Payne L, Watuka A, Katubulushi M, et al. High dose prolonged treatment with nitazoxanide is not effective for cryptosporidiosis in HIV positive Zambian children: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:195 pubmed publisher..The trial was registered as ISRCTN41089957. ..
- Petersen E, Wilson M, Touch S, McCloskey B, Mwaba P, Bates M, et al. Rapid Spread of Zika Virus in The Americas--Implications for Public Health Preparedness for Mass Gatherings at the 2016 Brazil Olympic Games. Int J Infect Dis. 2016;44:11-5 pubmed publisher..We highlight the urgent need for a coordinated collaborative response for prevention and spread of infectious diseases with epidemic potential at mass gatherings events. ..
- Ngoma M, Nalubamba M, Kowa S, Minyoi D, Mubanga J, Mwansa J, et al. Congenital trypanosomiasis. J Trop Pediatr. 2004;50:377-8 pubmed..Convulsions ceased during the second round of melsopropol. Unfortunately, the infant died of nosocomial infection. ..
- Fiedler J, Lividini K, Zulu R, Kabaghe G, Tehinse J, Bermudez O. Identifying zambia's industrial fortification options: toward overcoming the food and nutrition information gap-induced impasse. Food Nutr Bull. 2013;34:480-500 pubmed..Analysis of LCMS apparent consumption data have helped address important information gaps and provide better understanding of the coverage and impacts of alternative fortification portfolios. ..
- Chintu C, Bhat G, Luo C, Raviglione M, Diwan V, DuPont H, et al. Seroprevalence of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection in Zambian children with tuberculosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1993;12:499-504 pubmed..Calmette-Guérin vaccination rates between the seronegative and seropositive children were seen. Coinfection with HIV and TB in children is now one of the major public health problems in Zambian children. ..
- Marshall J, Touré M, Ouédraogo A, Ndhlovu M, Kiware S, Rezai A, et al. Key traveller groups of relevance to spatial malaria transmission: a survey of movement patterns in four sub-Saharan African countries. Malar J. 2016;15:200 pubmed publisher..Interventions aimed at interrupting spatial transmission of parasites should consider these traveller groups. ..
- Miyano S, Dube C, Kayama N, Ishikawa N, Nozaki I, SYAKANTU G. Association between tuberculosis treatment outcomes and the mobile antiretroviral therapy programme in Zambia. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013;17:540-5 pubmed publisher..02). Scaling up ART services in rural health facilities through the mobile ART programme was found to be associated with greatly improved anti-tuberculosis treatment outcomes. ..
- Kasolo F, Spinks J, Bima H, Bates M, Gompels U. Diverse genotypes of Kaposi's sarcoma associated herpesvirus (KSHV) identified in infant blood infections in African childhood-KS and HIV/AIDS endemic region. J Med Virol. 2007;79:1555-61 pubmed..This supports the interpretation that the acquisition of childhood KSHV infections and subsequent development of KS are due to additional co-factors. ..
- Turnbull E, Lembalemba M, Guffey M, Bolton Moore C, Mubiana Mbewe M, Chintu N, et al. Causes of stillbirth, neonatal death and early childhood death in rural Zambia by verbal autopsy assessments. Trop Med Int Health. 2011;16:894-901 pubmed publisher..Infectious etiologies for mortality ranked highest. At a public health level, such information may have an important role in guiding prevention and treatment strategies to address perinatal and early childhood mortality. ..
- Chizema Kawesha E, Miller J, Steketee R, Mukonka V, Mukuka C, Mohamed A, et al. Scaling up malaria control in Zambia: progress and impact 2005-2008. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;83:480-8 pubmed publisher..Sustained progress toward malaria elimination will require maintaining high prevention coverage and further reducing transmission by actively searching for and treating infected people who harbor malaria parasites. ..
- Siwila J, Phiri I, Enemark H, Nchito M, Olsen A. Intestinal helminths and protozoa in children in pre-schools in Kafue district, Zambia. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2010;104:122-8 pubmed publisher..Future studies should explore local factors associated with transmission of these infections, and consequently provide the necessary health education to parents and teachers...
- Chanda E, Coleman M, Kleinschmidt I, Hemingway J, Hamainza B, Masaninga F, et al. Impact assessment of malaria vector control using routine surveillance data in Zambia: implications for monitoring and evaluation. Malar J. 2012;11:437 pubmed publisher..However, this analysis did not take into account the effect of artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT), which were being scaled up countrywide in both rural and urban districts. ..
- Kankasa C, Carter R, Briggs N, Bulterys M, Chama E, Cooper E, et al. Routine offering of HIV testing to hospitalized pediatric patients at university teaching hospital, Lusaka, Zambia: acceptability and feasibility. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009;51:202-8 pubmed..The high rate of HIV infection in hospitalized infants and young children also underscores the urgent need for early infant diagnostic capacity in high prevalence settings. ..
- Gitaka J, Ogwang C, Ngari M, Akoo P, Olotu A, Kerubo C, et al. Clinical laboratory reference values amongst children aged 4 weeks to 17 months in Kilifi, Kenya: A cross sectional observational study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177382 pubmed publisher..This reaffirms the need in clinical trials for locally derived reference values to detect deviation from what is usual in typical children in low and middle income countries. ..
- Kipp A, Maimbolwa M, Brault M, Kalesha Masumbu P, Katepa Bwalya M, Habimana P, et al. Improving access to child health services at the community level in Zambia: a country case study on progress in child survival, 2000-2013. Health Policy Plan. 2017;32:603-612 pubmed publisher..These findings may inform how other countries in the African Region can increase progress in child survival in the post-MDG period. ..
- van Heerden A, Hsiao C, Matafwali B, Louw J, Richter L. Support for the feasibility of the ages and stages questionnaire as a developmental screening tool: a cross-sectional study of South African and Zambian children aged 2-60 months. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:55 pubmed publisher..The results indicate the applicability of the ASQ-3 in southern Africa and point to the importance of early interventions to protect the early good development of African children in order to promote positive life trajectories. ..
- Chiyangi H, Muma J, Malama S, Manyahi J, Abade A, Kwenda G, et al. Identification and antimicrobial resistance patterns of bacterial enteropathogens from children aged 0-59 months at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia: a prospective cross sectional study. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:117 pubmed publisher
- Bolton Moore C, Mubiana Mbewe M, Cantrell R, Chintu N, Stringer E, Chi B, et al. Clinical outcomes and CD4 cell response in children receiving antiretroviral therapy at primary health care facilities in Zambia. JAMA. 2007;298:1888-99 pubmed..Mortality during the first 90 days of therapy is high, pointing to a need for earlier intervention. ..
- Z gambo J, Siulapwa Y, Michelo C. Pattern of acute poisoning at two urban referral hospitals in Lusaka, Zambia. BMC Emerg Med. 2016;16:2 pubmed publisher..The results also call for additional regulatory controls on pesticides and pharmaceuticals, which were the most common toxic agents. ..
- Fiedler J, Lividini K, Kabaghe G, Zulu R, Tehinse J, Bermudez O, et al. Assessing Zambia's industrial fortification options: getting beyond changes in prevalence and cost-effectiveness. Food Nutr Bull. 2013;34:501-19 pubmed..There exist highly cost-effective fortification intervention portfolios with substantial public health impacts and variable price tags that could help improve Zambians' nutrition status. ..
- Jacobs C, Chiluba C, Phiri C, Lisulo M, Chomba M, Hill P, et al. Seroepidemiology of hepatitis E virus infection in an urban population in Zambia: strong association with HIV and environmental enteropathy. J Infect Dis. 2014;209:652-7 pubmed publisher..We set out to examine age-related seroprevalence in a community where we have previously carried out studies on environmental enteropathy...
- Stringer J, Stinson K, Tih P, Giganti M, Ekouevi D, Creek T, et al. Measuring coverage in MNCH: population HIV-free survival among children under two years of age in four African countries. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001424 pubmed publisher..We measured PMTCT service coverage, regimen use, and HIV-free survival among children ?24 mo of age in Cameroon, Côte D'Ivoire, South Africa, and Zambia...
- Chanda E, Hemingway J, Kleinschmidt I, Rehman A, Ramdeen V, Phiri F, et al. Insecticide resistance and the future of malaria control in Zambia. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24336 pubmed publisher..However, the discovery of DDT and pyrethroid resistance in the country threatens the sustainability of the vector control programme. ..