Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae in Laramie, Wyoming, United States
Locale: Laramie, Wyoming, United States
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Thorsness P, Fox T. Nuclear mutations in Saccharomyces cerevisiae that affect the escape of DNA from mitochondria to the nucleus. Genetics. 1993;134:21-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that yme1, yme2, yme4 and yme6 mutations alter mitochondrial functions and thereby lead to an increased rate of DNA escape from the organelle. ..
- Hanekamp T, Thorsness P. Inactivation of YME2/RNA12, which encodes an integral inner mitochondrial membrane protein, causes increased escape of DNA from mitochondria to the nucleus in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2764-71 pubmed..Disruption of yme2 causes a strain-dependent growth defect on nonfermentable carbon sources. ..
- Weber E, Hanekamp T, Thorsness P. Biochemical and functional analysis of the YME1 gene product, an ATP and zinc-dependent mitochondrial protease from S. cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:307-17 pubmed..Subunit II of cytochrome oxidase, when not assembled into a higher order complex, is a likely substrate of Yme1p. ..
- Weber E, Rooks R, Shafer K, Chase J, Thorsness P. Mutations in the mitochondrial ATP synthase gamma subunit suppress a slow-growth phenotype of yme1 yeast lacking mitochondrial DNA. Genetics. 1995;140:435-42 pubmed..atp3 deletion strains lacking mitochondrial DNA grew slowly on glucose media but were not as compromised for growth as yme1 yeast lacking mitochondrial DNA. ..
- Campbell C, Tanaka N, White K, Thorsness P. Mitochondrial morphological and functional defects in yeast caused by yme1 are suppressed by mutation of a 26S protease subunit homologue. Mol Biol Cell. 1994;5:899-905 pubmed..This proteolytic activity is necessary for progression through the cell cycle and has been implicated in the regulation of transcription. Ynt1p is more distantly related to Yme1p. ..
- John T, Ghosh M, Johnson J. Identification and expression of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cytoplasmic tryptophanyl-tRNA synthetase gene. Yeast. 1997;13:37-41 pubmed..A search of the Saccharomyces Genome Database using amino acid sequences from other eukaryotic aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase suggests there is sufficient similarity to identify both class I and class II genes. ..
- Hanekamp T, Thorsness M, Rebbapragada I, Fisher E, Seebart C, Darland M, et al. Maintenance of mitochondrial morphology is linked to maintenance of the mitochondrial genome in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2002;162:1147-56 pubmed..A dominant suppressor also suppresses the phenotypes caused by a point mutation in MMM1, as well as by specific mutations in YME4 and MDM10. ..
- Ren Q, Yang H, Rosinski M, Conrad M, Dresser M, Guacci V, et al. Mutation of the cohesin related gene PDS5 causes cell death with predominant apoptotic features in Saccharomyces cerevisiae during early meiosis. Mutat Res. 2005;570:163-73 pubmed..Our results also suggest that (1) The defect of DNA repair; (2) The production of reactive oxygen species, in pds5-1 mutant are involved in pds5-1 induced cell death. ..
- Smith C, Thorsness P. Formation of an energized inner membrane in mitochondria with a gamma-deficient F1-ATPase. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:2078-86 pubmed..Analysis of the suppressing mutation by blue native polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis also revealed that the alpha(3)beta(3) heterohexamer can form in the absence of the gamma subunit. ..
- Park S, Hanekamp T, Thorsness M, Thorsness P. Yme2p is a mediator of nucleoid structure and number in mitochondria of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2006;50:173-82 pubmed..A null allele of ILV5 suppresses transfer of mitochondrial DNA to the nucleus and displays synthetic interactions with yme2-4. ..
- Yang H, Ren Q, Zhang Z. Cleavage of Mcd1 by caspase-like protease Esp1 promotes apoptosis in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2127-34 pubmed publisher..When apoptosis is induced, Esp1 is released from the anaphase inhibitor Pds1. The activated Esp1 acts as caspase-like protease for the cleavage of Mcd1, which enhances the cell death via its translocation from nucleus to mitochondria. ..
- Francis B, Thorsness P. Hsp90 and mitochondrial proteases Yme1 and Yta10/12 participate in ATP synthase assembly in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mitochondrion. 2011;11:587-600 pubmed publisher..These genetic interactions describe a functional role for Hsp90 proteins in mitochondrial biogenesis. ..