Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Locale: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Bordt E, Clerc P, Roelofs B, Saladino A, Tretter L, Adam Vizi V, et al. The Putative Drp1 Inhibitor mdivi-1 Is a Reversible Mitochondrial Complex I Inhibitor that Modulates Reactive Oxygen Species. Dev Cell. 2017;40:583-594.e6 pubmed publisher..2Â mM). Overall, these results suggest that mdivi-1 is not a specific Drp1 inhibitor. The ability of mdivi-1 to reversibly inhibit complex I and modify mitochondrial ROS production may contribute to effects observed in disease models. ..
- Stuart R. Chapter 11 Supercomplex organization of the yeast respiratory chain complexes and the ADP/ATP carrier proteins. Methods Enzymol. 2009;456:191-208 pubmed publisher..The method used to analyze the cytochrome bc(1)-COX-AAC supercomplex and to affinity purify the Aac2 isoform and its associating proteins from S. cerevisiae mitochondria will be outlined in this chapter. ..
- Skarie J, Link B. The primary open-angle glaucoma gene WDR36 functions in ribosomal RNA processing and interacts with the p53 stress-response pathway. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:2474-85 pubmed publisher..Although these results overall do not provide evidence for or against a role of WDR36 in POAG, they do provide important baseline information for future studies. ..
- Orlova M, Ozcetin H, Barrett L, Kuchin S. Roles of the Snf1-activating kinases during nitrogen limitation and pseudohyphal differentiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:208-14 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Sak1 is involved in nitrogen signaling upstream of Snf1. ..
- Harkins A, Yuan G, London S, Dolan J. An oleate-stimulated, phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate-independent phospholipase D in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. FEMS Yeast Res. 2010;10:717-26 pubmed publisher..Even with high homology in the protein sequences between the PLD1 enzymes of S. cerevisiae, C. albicans, and S. pombe, there was variation with the effects of the regulators. ..
- Suh M, Meyer P, Gu M, Ye P, Zhang M, Kaplan C, et al. A dual interface determines the recognition of RNA polymerase II by RNA capping enzyme. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:34027-38 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the dual interface based on combining PCI1 and PCI2 is required for directing CE to Pol II elongation complexes. ..
- Burich R, Lei M. Two bipartite NLSs mediate constitutive nuclear localization of Mcm10. Curr Genet. 2003;44:195-201 pubmed..Thus, Mcm10 contains two functional NLSs and either is sufficient for the constitutive nuclear localization of Mcm10. ..
- Cook C, Kung G, Peterson F, Volkman B, Lei M. A novel zinc finger is required for Mcm10 homocomplex assembly. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:36051-8 pubmed..These observations suggest that homocomplex assembly is essential for Mcm10 function. Multisubunit Mcm10 homocomplexes may provide the structural basis for Mcm10 to interact with multiple subunits of the MCM2-7 hexamer. ..
- Strogolova V, Furness A, Robb McGrath M, Garlich J, Stuart R. Rcf1 and Rcf2, members of the hypoxia-induced gene 1 protein family, are critical components of the mitochondrial cytochrome bc1-cytochrome c oxidase supercomplex. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:1363-73 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, we propose a model where the Hig1 proteins regulate the COX enzyme activity through Cox3 and associated Cox12 protein, in a manner that may be influenced by the neighboring AAC proteins. ..
- Dienhart M, Stuart R. The yeast Aac2 protein exists in physical association with the cytochrome bc1-COX supercomplex and the TIM23 machinery. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3934-43 pubmed publisher..The physiological implications of the association of AAC with the cytochrome bc(1)-COX-TIM23 supercomplex are also discussed. ..
- Kamath A, Chakraburtty K. Role of yeast elongation factor 3 in the elongation cycle. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:15423-8 pubmed..and Kamath, A. (1988) Int. J. Biochem. 20, 581-590). However, we failed to demonstrate the effect of EF-3 in binding aa-tRNA to such a heterologous combination of the ribosomal subunits. ..
- Long R, Gu W, Meng X, Gonsalvez G, Singer R, Chartrand P. An exclusively nuclear RNA-binding protein affects asymmetric localization of ASH1 mRNA and Ash1p in yeast. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:307-18 pubmed..We propose that efficient cytoplasmic ASH1 mRNA localization requires a previous interaction with specific nuclear factors. ..
- Urbinati C, Gonsalvez G, Aris J, Long R. Loc1p is required for efficient assembly and nuclear export of the 60S ribosomal subunit. Mol Genet Genomics. 2006;276:369-77 pubmed
- Gallas M, Dienhart M, Stuart R, Long R. Characterization of Mmp37p, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial matrix protein with a role in mitochondrial protein import. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4051-62 pubmed
- Kadaba S, Wang X, Anderson J. Nuclear RNA surveillance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: Trf4p-dependent polyadenylation of nascent hypomethylated tRNA and an aberrant form of 5S rRNA. RNA. 2006;12:508-21 pubmed..We conclude that an array of RNA polymerase III transcripts are targeted for Trf4p/ Trf5p-dependent polyadenylation and turnover to eliminate mutant and variant forms of normally stable RNAs. ..
- Park S, Xiao H, Lei M. Nuclear FKBPs, Fpr3 and Fpr4 affect genome-wide genes transcription. Mol Genet Genomics. 2014;289:125-36 pubmed publisher..The results thus provide a further demonstration for the elusive role of Fpr3 and Fpr4 in histone chaperones. ..
- Brunner S, Everard Gigot V, Stuart R. Su e of the yeast F1Fo-ATP synthase forms homodimers. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:48484-9 pubmed..Finally, we propose a model for the molecular basis of the homodimerization of the Su e proteins. ..
- Korytowski W, Basova L, Pilat A, Kernstock R, Girotti A. Permeabilization of the mitochondrial outer membrane by Bax/truncated Bid (tBid) proteins as sensitized by cardiolipin hydroperoxide translocation: mechanistic implications for the intrinsic pathway of oxidative apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:26334-43 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new mechanistic insights into the role of CL oxidation in the intrinsic pathway of oxidative apoptosis. ..
- Krepkiy D, Miziorko H. Identification of active site residues in mevalonate diphosphate decarboxylase: implications for a family of phosphotransferases. Protein Sci. 2004;13:1875-81 pubmed
- Jia L, Dienhart M, Stuart R. Oxa1 directly interacts with Atp9 and mediates its assembly into the mitochondrial F1Fo-ATP synthase complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1897-908 pubmed..We propose that by directly interacting with newly synthesized Atp9 in a posttranslational manner, Oxa1 is required to maintain the assembly competence of the Atp9-F(1)-subcomplex for its association with Atp6. ..
- Ozanick S, Wang X, Costanzo M, Brost R, Boone C, Anderson J. Rex1p deficiency leads to accumulation of precursor initiator tRNAMet and polyadenylation of substrate RNAs in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:298-308 pubmed publisher..Finally, purified Rex1p displays Mg(2+)-dependent ribonuclease activity in vitro, and the enzyme is inactivated by mutation of two highly conserved amino acids. ..
- Anderson J, Wang X. Nuclear RNA surveillance: no sign of substrates tailing off. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;44:16-24 pubmed
- Landers S, Gallas M, Little J, Long R. She3p possesses a novel activity required for ASH1 mRNA localization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:1072-83 pubmed publisher..The present study reveals that the current accepted model for ASH1 mRNA localization does not fully account for the function of She3p in ASH1 mRNA localization. ..
- Kaur J, Stuart R. Truncation of the Mrp20 protein reveals new ribosome-assembly subcomplex in mitochondria. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:950-5 pubmed publisher..Finally, data supporting the idea that the inner mitochondrial membrane acts as a platform for the ribosome assembly process are discussed. ..
- Saddar S, Dienhart M, Stuart R. The F1F0-ATP synthase complex influences the assembly state of the cytochrome bc1-cytochrome oxidase supercomplex and its association with the TIM23 machinery. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:6677-86 pubmed publisher..e. the ATP synthase, may influence that of another supercomplex, namely the cytochrome bc1-COX complex. ..
- Saddar S, Stuart R. The yeast F(1)F(0)-ATP synthase: analysis of the molecular organization of subunit g and the importance of a conserved GXXXG motif. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:24435-42 pubmed..We suggest that the GXXXG motif may not be the sole basis for a Su g-Su e interaction, and possibly these dimerization motifs may enable both Su g and Su e to interact with another mitochondrial protein. ..
- Stuart R. Insertion of proteins into the inner membrane of mitochondria: the role of the Oxa1 complex. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1592:79-87 pubmed..The evidence to demonstrate that the Oxa1/YidC/Alb3 protein family represents a novel evolutionarily conserved membrane insertion machinery is reviewed here. ..
- Long R, Gu W, Lorimer E, Singer R, Chartrand P. She2p is a novel RNA-binding protein that recruits the Myo4p-She3p complex to ASH1 mRNA. EMBO J. 2000;19:6592-601 pubmed..By tethering a She3p-MS2 fusion protein to a reporter RNA containing MS2 binding sites, we observed that She2p is dispensable for She3p-MS2-dependent RNA localization. ..
- Ozanick S, Bujnicki J, Sem D, Anderson J. Conserved amino acids in each subunit of the heteroligomeric tRNA m1A58 Mtase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae contribute to tRNA binding. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:6808-19 pubmed
- Orlova M, Kanter E, Krakovich D, Kuchin S. Nitrogen availability and TOR regulate the Snf1 protein kinase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2006;5:1831-7 pubmed..TOR and Snf1/AMPK are highly conserved in evolution, and their novel functional interaction in yeast suggests similar mechanisms in other eukaryotes. ..
- Ozanick S, Krecic A, Andersland J, Anderson J. The bipartite structure of the tRNA m1A58 methyltransferase from S. cerevisiae is conserved in humans. RNA. 2005;11:1281-90 pubmed..Therefore, the human tRNA m(1)A Mtase shares both functional and structural homology with the yeast tRNA m(1)A Mtase, possessing similar enzymatic activity as well as a conserved binary composition. ..
- Everard Gigot V, Dunn C, Dolan B, Brunner S, Jensen R, Stuart R. Functional analysis of subunit e of the F1Fo-ATP synthase of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae: importance of the N-terminal membrane anchor region. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:346-55 pubmed..Finally, we propose a model to explain how Su e supports the assembly of the ATP synthase dimers-oligomers in the mitochondrial membrane. ..
- Kadaba S, Krueger A, Trice T, Krecic A, Hinnebusch A, Anderson J. Nuclear surveillance and degradation of hypomodified initiator tRNAMet in S. cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 2004;18:1227-40 pubmed..These data indicate that a tRNA surveillance pathway exists in yeast that requires Trf4p and the exosome for polyadenylation and degradation of hypomodified pre-tRNA(i)(Met). ..
- Jia L, Dienhart M, Schramp M, McCauley M, Hell K, Stuart R. Yeast Oxa1 interacts with mitochondrial ribosomes: the importance of the C-terminal region of Oxa1. EMBO J. 2003;22:6438-47 pubmed..Mrp20 is homologous to L23, a subunit located next to the peptide exit tunnel of the ribosome. We propose that the interaction of Oxa1 with the ribosome serves to enhance a coupling of translation and membrane insertion events. ..
- Strogolova V, Orlova M, Shevade A, Kuchin S. Mitochondrial porin Por1 and its homolog Por2 contribute to the positive control of Snf1 protein kinase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2012;11:1568-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, Por1 and Por2 contribute to the positive control of Snf1 protein kinase. Physical proximity to the VDAC proteins and mitochondrial surface could facilitate Snf1's ability to sense energy limitation. ..
- Strecker V, Kadeer Z, Heidler J, Cruciat C, Angerer H, Giese H, et al. Supercomplex-associated Cox26 protein binds to cytochrome c oxidase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1863:1643-52 pubmed publisher..Stress conditions, such as elevated temperatures resulted in mild decrease of respiration in non-fermentative media when the Cox26 protein was absent. ..
- Raicu V, Singh D. FRET spectrometry: a new tool for the determination of protein quaternary structure in living cells. Biophys J. 2013;105:1937-45 pubmed publisher..Therefore, FRET could quite literally become a spectrometric method--akin to that of mass spectrometry--for sorting protein complexes according to their size and shape. ..
- Kovalchuke O, Kambampati R, Pladies E, Chakraburtty K. Competition and cooperation amongst yeast elongation factors. Eur J Biochem. 1998;258:986-93 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that the stimulatory effect of EF-3 on the ternary complex binding to yeast ribosomes involves a direct interaction between EF-1 alpha and EF-3. ..