Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Locale: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
- Benfer K, Weir K, Ware R, Davies P, Arvedson J, Boyd R, et al. Parent-reported indicators for detecting feeding and swallowing difficulties and undernutrition in preschool-aged children with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2017;59:1181-1187 pubmed publisher..To determine the most accurate parent-reported indicators for detecting (1) feeding/swallowing difficulties and (2) undernutrition in preschool-aged children with cerebral palsy (CP)...
- Stiehl J, Cherveny P. Femoral rotational alignment using the tibial shaft axis in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996;:47-55 pubmed..The posterior condyle resection using the tibial shaft axis restores the anatomic patellofemoral relationships, minimizing patellofemoral complications. ..
- Garavan H, Pankiewicz J, Bloom A, Cho J, Sperry L, Ross T, et al. Cue-induced cocaine craving: neuroanatomical specificity for drug users and drug stimuli. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157:1789-98 pubmed
- Ullrich C, Rodday A, Bingen K, Kupst M, Patel S, Syrjala K, et al. Three sides to a story: Child, parent, and nurse perspectives on the child's experience during hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Cancer. 2017;123:3159-3166 pubmed publisher..Ratings differ by several factors; considering ratings in light of such factors may deepen our understanding of the child's experience. Cancer 2017;123:3159-66. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Yannopoulos D, Bartos J, Raveendran G, Conterato M, Frascone R, Trembley A, et al. Coronary Artery Disease in Patients With Out-of-Hospital Refractory Ventricular Fibrillation Cardiac Arrest. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1109-1117 pubmed publisher..A systems approach using ECLS and reperfusion seemed to improve functionally favorable survival. ..
- Zhong J, Patel K, Switchenko J, Cassidy R, Hall W, Gillespie T, et al. Outcomes for patients with locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma treated with stereotactic body radiation therapy versus conventionally fractionated radiation. Cancer. 2017;123:3486-3493 pubmed publisher..Further prospective studies investigating these hypothesis-generating results are warranted. Cancer 2017;123:3486-93. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Tanna P, Kasilian M, Strauss R, Tee J, Kalitzeos A, Tarima S, et al. Reliability and Repeatability of Cone Density Measurements in Patients With Stargardt Disease and RPGR-Associated Retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3608-3615 pubmed publisher..However, it appears that these indices may be disease dependent, implying the need for similar investigations in other conditions. ..
- Wendell D, Friehs I, Samyn M, Harmann L, LaDisa J. Treating a 20 mm Hg gradient alleviates myocardial hypertrophy in experimental aortic coarctation. J Surg Res. 2017;218:194-201 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the current putative 20 mm Hg BPG for treatment may be reasonable from the LV's perspective. ..
- Hodonsky C, Jain D, Schick U, Morrison J, Brown L, McHugh C, et al. Genome-wide association study of red blood cell traits in Hispanics/Latinos: The Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006760 pubmed publisher..Together, these results reinforce the importance of genetic study of diverse ancestral populations, in particular Hispanics/Latinos. ..
- Woda A, Hansen J, Paquette M, Topp R. The impact of simulation sequencing on perceived clinical decision making. Nurse Educ Pract. 2017;26:33-38 pubmed publisher..This study provides beginning evidence to guide curriculum development and allow flexibility based on student needs and available resources. ..
- Schriber J, Hari P, Ahn K, Fei M, Costa L, Kharfan Dabaja M, et al. Hispanics have the lowest stem cell transplant utilization rate for autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation for multiple myeloma in the United States: A CIBMTR report. Cancer. 2017;123:3141-3149 pubmed publisher..Efforts to increase the rates of transplantation for eligible patients who have MM, with an emphasis on groups that underuse transplantation, are warranted. Cancer 2017;123:3141-9. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Yin N, Lepp A, Ji Y, Mortensen M, Hou S, Qi X, et al. The K-Ras effector p38γ MAPK confers intrinsic resistance to tyrosine kinase inhibitors by stimulating EGFR transcription and EGFR dephosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15070-15079 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that in K-Ras mutant cancers, EGFR activity is regulated by the p38γ/c-Jun/PTPH1 signaling network, whose disruption may be a novel strategy to restore the sensitivity to TKIs. ..
- Ferguson C, Gray M, Diaz M, Boyd K. Reducing Unnecessary Imaging for Patients With Constipation in the Pediatric Emergency Department. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..The use of rational subgrouping and stratification on SPC charts to study different ED provider groups resulted in a substantial and sustained reduction in the rate of AXRs for constipation. ..
- Labombarda F, Hamilton R, Shohoudi A, Aboulhosn J, Broberg C, Chaix M, et al. Increasing Prevalence of Atrial Fibrillation and Permanent Atrial Arrhythmias in Congenital Heart Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:857-865 pubmed publisher..However, atrial fibrillation increases in prevalence and atrial arrhythmias progressively become permanent as the population ages. ..
- Gregory S, Chun R, Parakininkas D, Amos L, Fons R, Lerner D, et al. Endoscopic esophageal and tracheal cauterization for closure of recurrent tracheoesophageal fistula: A case report and review of the literature. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;98:158-161 pubmed publisher..EC combined with tissue glues or laser is more effective than EC alone based on available data. ..
- Kelly J, Murphy D, Sikkema K, McAuliffe T, Roffman R, Solomon L, et al. Randomised, controlled, community-level HIV-prevention intervention for sexual-risk behaviour among homosexual men in US cities. Community HIV Prevention Research Collaborative. Lancet. 1997;350:1500-5 pubmed..Natural styles of communication, such as conversations, brought about population-level changes in risk behaviour. ..
- Patterson T, Hehir D, Buelow M, Simpson P, Mitchell M, Zhang L, et al. Hemodynamic Profile of Acute Kidney Injury Following the Fontan Procedure: Impact of Renal Perfusion Pressure. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2017;8:367-375 pubmed publisher..Fontan completion may result in systemic venous hypertension and low cardiac output, reducing renal perfusion pressure (RPP) and further increasing the risk of AKI. We investigated the incidence and risk factors for post-Fontan AKI...
- Landisch R, Massoumi R, Christensen M, Wagner A. Infectious outcomes of gastroschisis patients with intraoperative hypothermia. J Surg Res. 2017;215:93-97 pubmed publisher..A multiinstitutional study with greater power is needed to further investigate the relationship between perioperative hypothermia and surgical ICs. ..
- Na L, Streim J, Pezzin L, Kurichi J, Xie D, Bogner H, et al. Disparities in receipt of recommended care among younger versus older medicare beneficiaries: a cohort study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:241 pubmed publisher..Younger Medicare beneficiary status appears to be an independent risk factor for underuse of appropriate care. Support to ameliorate disparities in different social and health aspects may be warranted. ..
- Mora Pinzon M, Henkel D, Miller R, Remington P, Gould J, Kothari S, et al. Emergency department visits and readmissions within 1 year of bariatric surgery: A statewide analysis using hospital discharge records. Surgery. 2017;162:1155-1162 pubmed publisher..Quality improvement efforts targeting these patients may improve outcomes and decrease hospital resource utilization. ..
- Baber U, Sartori S, Aquino M, Kini A, Kapadia S, Weiss S, et al. Use of prasugrel vs clopidogrel and outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention in contemporary clinical practice: Results from the PROMETHEUS study. Am Heart J. 2017;188:73-81 pubmed publisher..The lower ischemic and bleeding events associated with prasugrel use were no longer evident after accounting for these baseline differences. ..
- Aiello A, Jayabalasingham B, Simanek A, Diez Roux A, Feinstein L, Meier H, et al. The impact of pathogen burden on leukocyte telomere length in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:3076-3084 pubmed publisher..Future research is needed to confirm these novel findings in larger longitudinal samples...
- Debaty G, Labarere J, Frascone R, Wayne M, Swor R, Mahoney B, et al. Long-Term Prognostic Value of Gasping During Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1467-1476 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the importance of not terminating resuscitation prematurely in gasping patients and the need to routinely recognize, monitor, and record data on gasping in all future cardiac arrest trials and registries. ..
- Callahan C, Saudek D, Shillingford A, Creighton S, Hill G, Johnson W, et al. Single-Stage Repair of Coarctation of the Aorta and Ventricular Septal Defect: A Comparison of Surgical Strategies and Resource Utilization. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2017;8:559-563 pubmed publisher..We sought to compare clinical outcomes and resource utilization for two surgical approaches for single-stage repair of coarctation of the aorta and ventricular septal defect (VSD)...
- Wong H, Cvijanovich N, Anas N, Allen G, Thomas N, Bigham M, et al. Improved Risk Stratification in Pediatric Septic Shock Using Both Protein and mRNA Biomarkers. PERSEVERE-XP. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196:494-501 pubmed publisher..PERSEVERE-XP significantly improves on PERSEVERE and suggests a role for TP53-related cellular division, repair, and metabolism in the pathophysiology of septic shock. ..
- Mousas A, Ntritsos G, Chen M, Song C, Huffman J, Tzoulaki I, et al. Rare coding variants pinpoint genes that control human hematological traits. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006925 pubmed publisher..03). Finally, our results indicate that searching for rare coding or splice site variants in very large sample sizes can help prioritize causal genes at many GWAS loci associated with complex human diseases and traits. ..
- Russell R, Rettiganti M, Brundage N, Jeffries H, Gupta P. Performance of Pediatric Risk of Mortality Score Among Critically Ill Children With Heart Disease. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2017;8:427-434 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the performance of the Pediatric Risk of Mortality 3 (PRISM-3) score in critically ill children with heart disease...
- McAllister T, McCrea M. Long-Term Cognitive and Neuropsychiatric Consequences of Repetitive Concussion and Head-Impact Exposure. J Athl Train. 2017;52:309-317 pubmed publisher..This article is a review of the current state of the science on the long-term neurocognitive and neurobehavioral effects of repetitive concussion and head-impact exposure in contact sports. ..
- Conant L, Liebenthal E, Desai A, Binder J. The relationship between maternal education and the neural substrates of phoneme perception in children: Interactions between socioeconomic status and proficiency level. Brain Lang. 2017;171:14-22 pubmed publisher..The pattern of results may suggest the presence of neurobiological differences in the children with low CP that affect the nature of relationships with ME. ..
- Morris R, Gani F, Hammad A, Peltier W, Gamblin T, Turaga K, et al. Factors associated with palliative care use in patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. J Surg Res. 2017;211:79-86 pubmed publisher..Palliative care referrals were most commonly used for patients with chronic symptoms, which are difficult to manage, especially toward the end of life. ..
- Segal E, Martens M, Wang H, Brazauskas R, Weisdorf D, Sandmaier B, et al. Comparing outcomes of matched related donor and matched unrelated donor hematopoietic cell transplants in adults with B-Cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer. 2017;123:3346-3355 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:3346-55. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Huang A, Yu D, Davis L, Sul J, Tsetsos F, Ramensky V, et al. Rare Copy Number Variants in NRXN1 and CNTN6 Increase Risk for Tourette Syndrome. Neuron. 2017;94:1101-1111.e7 pubmed publisher..3, 95% CI [2.6-156.2]; CNTN6 duplications, OR = 10.1, 95% CI [2.3-45.4]). Approximately 1% of TS cases carry one of these CNVs, indicating that rare structural variation contributes significantly to the genetic architecture of TS. ..
- Conwell D, Banks P, Sandhu B, Sherman S, Al Kaade S, Gardner T, et al. Validation of Demographics, Etiology, and Risk Factors for Chronic Pancreatitis in the USA: A Report of the North American Pancreas Study (NAPS) Group. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2133-2140 pubmed publisher..Alcohol remains the most common physician-defined etiology, while smoking was the most commonly identified TIGAR-O risk factor. Identification of multiple risk factors suggests CP to be a complex disease. ..
- Eskandari F, Rowan D, Hari P, Kapke J, Schneidewend R, E Hagen C, et al. Liver biopsy findings in patients with hematopoietic cell transplantation. Hum Pathol. 2017;66:136-143 pubmed publisher..In addition, it is important for the pathologist to be aware of the etiologies of liver dysfunction other than GVHD. ..
- Kopec A, Abrahams S, Thornton S, Palumbo J, Mullins E, Divanovic S, et al. Thrombin promotes diet-induced obesity through fibrin-driven inflammation. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3152-3166 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data provide proof of concept that targeting thrombin or fibrin(ogen) may limit pathologies in obese patients. ..
- Deneau M, El Matary W, Valentino P, Abdou R, Alqoaer K, Amin M, et al. The natural history of primary sclerosing cholangitis in 781 children: A multicenter, international collaboration. Hepatology. 2017;66:518-527 pubmed publisher..Hepatology 2017;66:518-527). ..
- Hartigan E, Aucoin J, Carlson R, Klieber Kusak M, Murray T, Shaw B, et al. Relationships Between Knee Extension Moments During Weighted and Unweighted Gait and Strength Measures That Predict Knee Moments After ACL Reconstruction. Sports Health. 2017;9:356-363 pubmed publisher..Gait retraining is recommended to correct asymmetrical KEMI profiles used across gait tasks in women. ..
- Tuomela K, Gordon J, Cassidy L, Johaningsmeir S, Ghanayem N. Resource Utilization Associated with Extracardiac Co-morbid Conditions Following Congenital Heart Surgery in Infancy. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017;38:1065-1070 pubmed publisher..These data may be helpful in deciding which children might benefit from a cardiac complex care program that partners families and providers to improve health and decrease healthcare costs. ..
- Haverkos B, Abbott D, Hamadani M, Armand P, Flowers M, Merryman R, et al. PD-1 blockade for relapsed lymphoma post-allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant: high response rate but frequent GVHD. Blood. 2017;130:221-228 pubmed publisher..PD-1 blockade post-allo-HCT should be studied further but cannot be recommended for routine use outside of a clinical trial. ..
- Lawton C, Lin X, Hanks G, Lepor H, Grignon D, Brereton H, et al. Duration of Androgen Deprivation in Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer: Long-Term Update of NRG Oncology RTOG 9202. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:296-303 pubmed publisher..48). LTAD and RT is superior to STAD and RT for the treatment of locally advanced nonmetastatic adenocarcinoma of the prostate and should be considered the standard of care. ..
- Ronen S, Abbott D, Kravtsov O, Abdelkader A, Xu Y, Banerjee A, et al. PTEN loss and p27 loss differ among morphologic patterns of prostate cancer, including cribriform. Hum Pathol. 2017;65:85-91 pubmed publisher..PTEN or p27 loss as prognostic factors demands distinct assessment in the varieties of Gleason 4 cancer, and in the biphenotypic peripheral versus central populations in cribriform structures. ..
- Pahwa R, Tanner C, Hauser R, Isaacson S, Nausieda P, Truong D, et al. ADS-5102 (Amantadine) Extended-Release Capsules for Levodopa-Induced Dyskinesia in Parkinson Disease (EASE LID Study): A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:941-949 pubmed publisher..Medical treatment of levodopa-induced dyskinesia (LID) in Parkinson disease (PD) is an unmet need...
- Nguyen H, Doan N, Gelsomino M, Shabani S. Dysembryoplastic Neuroectodermal Tumor: An Analysis from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program, 2004-2013. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:380-385 pubmed publisher..Common demographic factors, treatment with surgery, and the extent of surgical resection did not show significant associations with OS. In contrast, treatment with radiation was associated with poorer OS. ..
- Maurer A, Burke S, Diba K, Barnes C. Attenuated Activity across Multiple Cell Types and Reduced Monosynaptic Connectivity in the Aged Perirhinal Cortex. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8965-8974 pubmed publisher..The reduced inhibition in the perirhinal cortex reported here could contribute to this circuit imbalance, and may be a key point to consider for therapeutic interventions aimed at restoring network function to optimize cognition. ..
- Hraska V, Vergnat M, Zartner P, Hart C, Suchowerskyj P, Bierbach B, et al. Promising Outcome of Anatomic Correction of Corrected Transposition of the Great Arteries. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:650-656 pubmed publisher..Longer follow-up is needed to confirm superiority of this approach over other management strategies. ..
- Johnson D, Sandlow J. Treatment of varicoceles: techniques and outcomes. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:378-384 pubmed publisher..The aim of this review is to describe and compare complications associated with each approach to varicocele treatment. ..
- Mohamed S, Johnson G, Chen P, Hicks P, Davis L, Yoon J, et al. Effect of Antidepressant Switching vs Augmentation on Remission Among Patients With Major Depressive Disorder Unresponsive to Antidepressant Treatment: The VAST-D Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:132-145 pubmed publisher..Given the small effect size and adverse effects associated with aripiprazole, further analysis including cost-effectiveness is needed to understand the net utility of this approach. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01421342. ..
- Smith Z, Dua A, Saeian K, Ledeboer N, Graham M, Aburajab M, et al. A Novel Protocol Obviates Endoscope Sampling for Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae: Experience of a Center with a Prior Outbreak. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:3100-3109 pubmed publisher..Further studies and a larger patient sample will be required to validate these findings. ..
- Wahl T, Graham L, Hawn M, Richman J, Hollis R, Jones C, et al. Association of the Modified Frailty Index With 30-Day Surgical Readmission. JAMA Surg. 2017;152:749-757 pubmed publisher..There is a paucity of literature investigating how the Modified Frailty Index (mFI), a validated measure of frailty, is associated with unplanned readmission among military veterans following surgery...
- Giefer M, Lowe M, Werlin S, Zimmerman B, Wilschanski M, Troendle D, et al. Early-Onset Acute Recurrent and Chronic Pancreatitis Is Associated with PRSS1 or CTRC Gene Mutations. J Pediatr. 2017;186:95-100 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed to investigate whether the disease course, response to therapy, or clinical outcomes differ relative to the timing of disease onset. ..
- Panepinto J, Paul Scott J, Badaki Makun O, Darbari D, Chumpitazi C, Airewele G, et al. Determining the longitudinal validity and meaningful differences in HRQL of the PedsQL™ Sickle Cell Disease Module. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:124 pubmed publisher..The study data establish longitudinal validity and meaningful change parameters for the PedsQL™ Sickle Cell Disease Module. ClinicalTrials.gov (study identifier: NCT01197417 ). Date of registration: 08/30/2010. ..
- Mei L, Jiao H, Sharma T, Dua A, Sanvanson P, Jadcherla S, et al. Comparative effect of the sites of anterior cervical pressure on the geometry of the upper esophageal sphincter high-pressure zone. Laryngoscope. 2017;127:2466-2474 pubmed publisher..The effect of external pressure on the UESHPZ is site dependent. Subcricoid pressure has the least effect on UESHPZ. External cricoid pressure at 20 to 40 mm Hg has no effect on the LES pressure. 3b. Laryngoscope, 127:2466-2474, 2017. ..
- Dinse G, Parks C, Weinberg C, Meier H, Co C, Chan E, et al. Antinuclear antibodies and mortality in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1999-2004). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185977 pubmed publisher..Recent studies suggest antinuclear antibodies (ANA) may be related to mortality risk, but evidence is sparse and inconclusive. Thus, we investigated ANA associations with all-cause and cause-specific mortality in U.S. adults...
- Riley D, Slocum G, Bain J, Sedlak F, Sowa T, Mellender J. Rat hindlimb unloading: soleus histochemistry, ultrastructure, and electromyography. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1990;69:58-66 pubmed..These findings indicate that the atrophy and pathological changes result from unloaded contractions, reduced use, compromised blood flow, and shortened working length. ..
- Vida V, Zanotto L, Zanotto L, Stellin G, Padalino M, Sarris G, et al. Left-Sided Reoperations After Arterial Switch Operation: A European Multicenter Study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:899-906 pubmed publisher..Recurrent reoperations after LSRs may be required. ..
- Park S, Kwon M, Christou E. Motor output oscillations with magnification of visual feedback in older adults. Neurosci Lett. 2017;647:8-13 pubmed publisher..50). In conclusion, these findings suggest that magnification of visual feedback alters the modulation of the motor neuron pool in older adults and exacerbates force variability by increasing the oscillations in force below 0.5Hz. ..
- Berger N, Tanious M, Hammad A, Miura J, Mogal H, Clarke C, et al. External radiation or ablation for solitary hepatocellular carcinoma: A survival analysis of the SEER database. J Surg Oncol. 2017;116:307-312 pubmed publisher..However, AT demonstrates improved survival rates compared to XRT for lesions >3?cm. This 3?cm reference point may serve as a valuable metric to guide treatment decisions and future investigations. ..
- Else T, Lerario A, Everett J, Haymon L, Wham D, Mullane M, et al. Adrenocortical carcinoma and succinate dehydrogenase gene mutations: an observational case series. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:439-444 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to investigate the possible role of SDH deficiency in ACC pathogenesis. ..
- Garcia E, Wolak Dinsmore J, Wang Z, Li X, Bennett D, Connelly M, et al. NMR quantification of trimethylamine-N-oxide in human serum and plasma in the clinical laboratory setting. Clin Biochem. 2017;50:947-955 pubmed publisher..Moreover, assay performance enables the levels of TMAO to be quantified in serum or plasma at clinically actionable concentrations for the assessment of cardiovascular disease risks and individualized dietary monitoring. ..
- Vyles D, Adams J, Chiu A, Simpson P, Nimmer M, Brousseau D. Allergy Testing in Children With Low-Risk Penicillin Allergy Symptoms. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..The utilization of this questionnaire in the pediatric ED may facilitate increased use of first-line penicillin antibiotics. ..
- Bekhet A. Positive Thinking Training Intervention for Caregivers of Persons with Autism: Establishing Fidelity. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2017;31:306-310 pubmed publisher..The findings provide evidence of the implementation fidelity of PTT intervention and support moving forward to test PTT effectiveness in promoting caregivers' well-being. ..
- Landisch R, Foster S, Gregg D, Chelius T, Cassidy L, Lerner D, et al. Utilizing stricture indices to predict dilation of strictures after esophageal atresia repair. J Surg Res. 2017;216:172-178 pubmed publisher..81). Calculation of the SI utilizing a U-EASI ≤ 0.39 on the delayed esophagram is associated with future anastomotic dilation. A multi-institutional study is necessary to confirm the predictive ability of the U-EASI. ..
- Aburajab M, Max J, Ona M, Gupta K, Burch M, Michael Feiz F, et al. Covered Esophageal Stenting Is Effective for Symptomatic Gastric Lumen Narrowing and Related Complications Following Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:3077-3083 pubmed publisher..Among patients with gastric leak, 80% had resolution of their symptoms compared with 93% of patients with GSS. Endoscopic therapy for LSG-related GSS or leaks with FCSEMS is highly effective and safe. ..
- Mohananey D, Smilowitz N, Villablanca P, Bhatia N, Agrawal S, Baruah A, et al. Trends in the Incidence and In-Hospital Outcomes of Cardiogenic Shock Complicating Thyroid Storm. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354:159-164 pubmed publisher..Although incidence has increased over the years, mortality from CS has steadily declined. ..
- Paul J, Yang C, Wu H, Tai A, Dalah E, Zheng C, et al. Early Assessment of Treatment Responses During Radiation Therapy for Lung Cancer Using Quantitative Analysis of Daily Computed Tomography. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:463-472 pubmed publisher..The changes in daily CT features, such as the mean HU, can be used for early assessment of the radiation response during RT delivery for lung cancer. ..
- Smith Z, Gonzaga J, Haasler G, Gore E, Dua K. Self-Expanding Metal Stents Improve Swallowing and Maintain Nutrition During Neoadjuvant Therapy for Esophageal Cancer. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:1647-1656 pubmed publisher..They allow patients to eat orally, thereby improving patient satisfaction. The presence of an in situ stent did not interfere with surgery. ..
- Tee J, Carroll J, Webster A, Michaelides M. Quantitative Analysis of Retinal Structure Using Spectral-Domain Optical Coherence Tomography in RPGR-Associated Retinopathy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;178:18-26 pubmed publisher..This study provides SDOCT progression rates for RPGR-associated RP. There is overall interocular symmetry with implications for future treatment trials where 1 eye could serve as a control. ..
- Dekker A, Amick A, Scholcoff C, Doobay Persaud A. A mixed-methods needs assessment of adult diabetes mellitus (type II) and hypertension care in Toledo, Belize. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:171 pubmed publisher..Results indicate areas for future investigation and possible intervention, including barriers to insulin use and opportunities for lifestyle-specific disease education for patients. ..
- Chen X, Oshima K, Schott D, Wu H, Hall W, Song Y, et al. Assessment of treatment response during chemoradiation therapy for pancreatic cancer based on quantitative radiomic analysis of daily CTs: An exploratory study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178961 pubmed publisher..These changes may be potentially used for early assessment of treatment response and stratification for therapeutic intensification. ..
- Arena S, Garman C, Nussbaum M, Madigan M. Required friction during overground walking is lower among obese compared to non-obese older men, but does not differ with obesity among women. Appl Ergon. 2017;62:77-82 pubmed publisher..No differences in required friction were found between non-obese and obese younger adults. These results suggest that the increased rate of falls among obese or older adults is not likely due to a higher risk of slip initiation. ..
- Chirles T, Reiter K, Weiss L, Alfini A, Nielson K, Smith J. Exercise Training and Functional Connectivity Changes in Mild Cognitive Impairment and Healthy Elders. J Alzheimers Dis. 2017;57:845-856 pubmed publisher..Whether these effects of exercise training may delay further cognitive decline in patients diagnosed with MCI remains to be demonstrated. ..
- Plymale J, Frommelt P, Nugent M, Simpson P, Tweddell J, Shillingford A. The Infant with Aortic Arch Hypoplasia and Small Left Heart Structures: Echocardiographic Indices of Mitral and Aortic Hypoplasia Predicting Successful Biventricular Repair. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017;38:1296-1304 pubmed publisher..In this complex population, 1 year survival is high, but the need for RI and the presence of residual lesions are common. ..