Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Locale: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Publications483 found, 100 shown here
- Ozanick S, Krecic A, Andersland J, Anderson J. The bipartite structure of the tRNA m1A58 methyltransferase from S. cerevisiae is conserved in humans. RNA. 2005;11:1281-90 pubmed..Therefore, the human tRNA m(1)A Mtase shares both functional and structural homology with the yeast tRNA m(1)A Mtase, possessing similar enzymatic activity as well as a conserved binary composition. ..
- Babusukumar U, Wang T, McGuire E, Broeckel U, Kugathasan S. Contribution of OCTN variants within the IBD5 locus to pediatric onset Crohn's disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:1354-61 pubmed..Although the IBD5 locus is associated with pediatric onset CD, no definitive conclusions can be drawn about OCTN variants as causative genes in pediatric CD at this point. ..
- Brasel K, Pham K, Yang H, Christensen R, Weigelt J. Significance of contrast extravasation in patients with pelvic fracture. J Trauma. 2007;62:1149-52 pubmed..CE is not reliable enough to exclude significant vascular injury, as the therapeutic embolization rate for CE-negative patients undergoing angiography is 33%. ..
- Yang W, Tuniki V, Anjaiah S, Falck J, Hillard C, Campbell W. Characterization of epoxyeicosatrienoic acid binding site in U937 membranes using a novel radiolabeled agonist, 20-125i-14,15-epoxyeicosa-8(Z)-enoic acid. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008;324:1019-27 pubmed publisher..Using this radioligand, we have identified a specific high-affinity and high-abundance EET binding site in U937 cell membranes. This binding site could represent a specific EET receptor, which is probably a G protein-coupled receptor. ..
- Burner T, Rosenthal A. Diabetes and rheumatic diseases. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2009;21:50-4 pubmed publisher..Although this review highlights exciting areas of future interest, more work in this field is certainly warranted. ..
- Boyle K, Stanitsa E, Greseth M, Lindgren J, Traktman P. Evaluation of the role of the vaccinia virus uracil DNA glycosylase and A20 proteins as intrinsic components of the DNA polymerase holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:24702-13 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the polymerase stalls upon encountering an abasic site in the template strand, indicating that, like many replicative polymerases, the poxviral holoenzyme cannot perform translesion synthesis across an abasic site. ..
- Wang C, Henkes L, Doughty L, He M, Wang D, Meyer Almes F, et al. Thailandepsins: bacterial products with potent histone deacetylase inhibitory activities and broad-spectrum antiproliferative activities. J Nat Prod. 2011;74:2031-8 pubmed publisher..Thailandepsins thus represent new naturally produced HDAC inhibitors that are promising for anticancer drug development. ..
- Stauber M. Not all spinal cord injuries involve a fracture. Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2011;33:226-31 pubmed publisher..This case study outlines the etiology, pathophysiology, diagnostic tests, and management of a patient with CCS. ..
- Johnson M, Wang S, Bai P, Strachota E, Tchekanov G, Melbye J, et al. Bilateral assessment of functional tasks for robot-assisted therapy applications. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2011;49:1157-71 pubmed publisher..After robot-assisted therapy, interlimb coordination spatial deficits moved toward normal coordination on functional tasks. ..
- Laulederkind S, Tutaj M, Shimoyama M, Hayman G, Lowry T, Nigam R, et al. Ontology searching and browsing at the Rat Genome Database. Database (Oxford). 2012;2012:bas016 pubmed publisher..The new ontology search, browser and report features have been designed to enhance both manual data curation and manual data extraction. DATABASE URL: http://rgd.mcw.edu/rgdweb/ontology/search.html. ..
- Wang T, Cheung K, Roman S, Sosa J. A cost-effectiveness analysis of adrenalectomy for nonfunctional adrenal incidentalomas: is there a size threshold for resection?. Surgery. 2012;152:1125-32 pubmed publisher..This study evaluates the cost-effectiveness of this approach...
- Takao M, Matsui K, Stone J, Glazebrook M, Kennedy J, Guillo S, et al. Arthroscopic anterior talofibular ligament repair for lateral instability of the ankle. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016;24:1003-6 pubmed publisher..In this paper, it is described an arthroscopic anterior talofibular ligament repair using lasso-loop stitch alone for lateral instability of the ankle that is likely safe for patients and minimal invasive. Therapeutic study, Level V. ..
- Bigley T, McGivern J, Ebert A, Terhune S. Impact of a cytomegalovirus kinase inhibitor on infection and neuronal progenitor cell differentiation. Antiviral Res. 2016;129:67-73 pubmed publisher..Future studies of NPC proliferation and differentiation during infection treated with maribavir could provide the impetus for studying maribavir as an antiviral agent for congenital HCMV disease. ..
- Yu J, Plaza J, Schieke S. Metastatic Sarcomatoid Lung Cancer: A Rare Cutaneous Spindle Cell Neoplasm. Am J Dermatopathol. 2016;38:e36-9 pubmed publisher..Sarcomatoid cancer of the lung should be considered in the differential diagnosis of metastatic malignant spindle cell neoplasms. ..
- Luma H, Eloumou S, Malongue A, Temfack E, Noah D, Donfack Sontsa O, et al. Characteristics of anti-hepatitis C virus antibody-positive patients in a hospital setting in Douala, Cameroon. Int J Infect Dis. 2016;45:53-8 pubmed publisher..There is an urgent need to put in place programs to increase awareness and diagnosis of HCV infection and to develop extensive and targeted anti-HCV treatment guidelines to improve the management of these patients in Cameroon. ..
- Cable R, Birch R, Spencer B, Wright D, Bialkowski W, Kiss J, et al. The operational implications of donor behaviors following enrollment in STRIDE (Strategies to Reduce Iron Deficiency in blood donors). Transfusion. 2017;57:2440-2448 pubmed publisher..Providing donors with information on iron status with personalized recommendations was an effective alternative to directly providing iron supplements. ..
- Fan Z, Smith P, Eckstein E, Harris G. Mechanical properties of OI type III bone tissue measured by nanoindentation. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2006;79:71-7 pubmed..No correlation was found between nanoindentation measurement and age in an analysis of regression. ..
- Havens P, Mulligan K, Hazra R, Flynn P, Rutledge B, Van Loan M, et al. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D response to vitamin D3 supplementation 50,000 IU monthly in youth with HIV-1 infection. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:4004-13 pubmed publisher..There was no treatment-related toxicity. Supplementation with vitamin D(3) 50,000 IU monthly for three doses was safe. Increases in 25-OHD occurred in treated participants regardless of antiretroviral regimen. ..
- Jacob H, Kwitek A. Rat genetics: attaching physiology and pharmacology to the genome. Nat Rev Genet. 2002;3:33-42 pubmed..Most importantly, this combined physiological and genomic information should also lead to the development of better pre-clinical models of human disease, which will aid in the development of new therapeutics. ..
- Gendelman M, Hecht T, Logan B, Vodanovic Jankovic S, Komorowski R, Drobyski W. Host conditioning is a primary determinant in modulating the effect of IL-7 on murine graft-versus-host disease. J Immunol. 2004;172:3328-36 pubmed..We conclude that host conditioning modulates the ability of exogenous IL-7 to exacerbate GVHD and that this occurs through induction of endogenous IL-7 production. ..
- Schilling R. Intrinsic factor studies: II. The effect of gastric juice on the urinary excretion of radioactivity after the oral administration of radioactive vitamin B(12). J Lab Clin Med. 2004;144:268-72; discussion 225-6 pubmed
- Daram S, Cortese C, Bastani B. Nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy/nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: report of a new case with literature review. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;46:754-9 pubmed..We therefore suggest that "nephrogenic systemic fibrosis" would be a more appropriate term for this disease entity. ..
- Fairley J, Burnett C, Fu C, Larson D, Fleming M, Giudice G. A pathogenic role for IgE in autoimmunity: bullous pemphigoid IgE reproduces the early phase of lesion development in human skin grafted to nu/nu mice. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:2605-11 pubmed..The BP IgE-induced erythematous plaques were reminiscent of those clinically seen in BP. This provides early evidence of a direct demonstration of a pathogenic role for IgE class autoantibodies in a human autoimmune disease. ..
- Kirby M, Noel R. Nutrition and gastrointestinal tract assessment and management of children with dysphagia. Semin Speech Lang. 2007;28:180-9 pubmed..Advances in nutrition and management of aerodigestive conditions related to dysphagia will be reviewed. ..
- Nandedkar S, Feroah T, Hutchins W, Weihrauch D, Konduri K, Wang J, et al. Histopathology of experimentally induced asthma in a murine model of sickle cell disease. Blood. 2008;112:2529-38 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate SCD mice with experimentally induced asthma are more susceptible to death and pulmonary inflammation compared with control mice, suggesting that asthma contributes significantly to morbidity and mortality in SCD. ..
- Guo H, Samarakoon A, Vanhaesebroeck B, Malarkannan S. The p110 delta of PI3K plays a critical role in NK cell terminal maturation and cytokine/chemokine generation. J Exp Med. 2008;205:2419-35 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a previously unrecognized role of PI3K-p110 delta in NK cell development and effector functions. ..
- Wolfe T, Ubogu E, Fernandes Filho J, Zaidat O. Predictors of clinical outcome and mortality in vertebrobasilar dolichoectasia diagnosed by magnetic resonance angiography. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008;17:388-93 pubmed publisher..This study may aid in predicting annual risk of stroke recurrence or death in VBD. ..
- Churchill R, Ghorai J. Total cost and operating room time comparison of rotator cuff repair techniques at low, intermediate, and high volume centers: mini-open versus all-arthroscopic. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010;19:716-21 pubmed publisher..Regardless of the repair technique, high volume surgical centers cost significantly more than low and intermediate volume surgical centers. ..
- Nielson K, Seidenberg M, Woodard J, Durgerian S, Zhang Q, Gross W, et al. Common neural systems associated with the recognition of famous faces and names: an event-related fMRI study. Brain Cogn. 2010;72:491-8 pubmed publisher..Findings are discussed within the framework of recent proposals concerning the neural network of person identification. ..
- Hoch A, Papanek P, Szabo A, Widlansky M, Schimke J, Gutterman D. Association between the female athlete triad and endothelial dysfunction in dancers. Clin J Sport Med. 2011;21:119-25 pubmed publisher..Endothelial dysfunction was correlated with reduced BMD, menstrual dysfunction, and low serum estrogen. These findings may have profound implications for cardiovascular and bone health in professional women dancers. ..
- Agarwal S, Liu F, Yu H. Simple and efficient machine learning frameworks for identifying protein-protein interaction relevant articles and experimental methods used to study the interactions. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011;12 Suppl 8:S10 pubmed publisher..Simple Classifier is available at http://sourceforge.net/p/simpleclassify/home/ and OntoNorm at http://sourceforge.net/p/ontonorm/home/. ..
- Sultan M, Ramprasad J, Jensen M, Margolis D, Werlin S. Endoscopic diagnosis of pediatric acute gastrointestinal graft-versus-host disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012;55:417-20 pubmed..Flexible sigmoidoscopy can be done unsedated in appropriate patients at the bedside without anesthesia; it can be performed first to identify GI GVHD. ..
- Keenan K, Massey W, Walters T, Collins J. Sensitivity of EMG-EMG coherence to detect the common oscillatory drive to hand muscles in young and older adults. J Neurophysiol. 2012;107:2866-75 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that EMG-EMG coherence is most sensitive to electrode location. The results are discussed in terms of the potential issues related to inferring a common oscillatory drive to hand muscles with surface EMGs. ..
- Karth P, Singh R, Kim J, Costakos D. Bilateral central retinal artery occlusions in an infant with hyperhomocysteinemia. J AAPOS. 2012;16:398-400 pubmed publisher..Retinal arterial occlusion is uncommon in young patients and typically prompts a systemic workup. In cases of atypical retinal arterial occlusion, hyperhomocysteinemia should be investigated. ..
- Wang M, Shivakoti M, Sparapani R, Guo C, Laud P, Nattinger A. Thirty-day readmissions after elective spine surgery for degenerative conditions among US Medicare beneficiaries. Spine J. 2012;12:902-11 pubmed publisher..Readmissions within 30 days of hospital discharge are undesirable and costly. Little is known about reasons for and predictors of readmissions after elective spine surgery to help plan preventative strategies...
- Hannula D, Libby L, Yonelinas A, Ranganath C. Medial temporal lobe contributions to cued retrieval of items and contexts. Neuropsychologia. 2013;51:2322-32 pubmed publisher..These findings provide partial support for the above predictions and are discussed with respect to several models of medial temporal lobe function. ..
- Grignol V, Grannan K, Sabra J, Cromer R, Jarman B, Dent D, et al. Multi-institutional study of self-reported attitudes and behaviors of general surgery residents about ethical academic practices in test taking. J Surg Educ. 2013;70:777-81 pubmed publisher..Differences were identified between senior and junior residents with regard to memorizing questions for study. Cheating and unethical behavior is not always clear to the learner and represents an area for further education. ..
- Ferrone C, Ting D, Shahid M, Konstantinidis I, Sabbatino F, Goyal L, et al. The Ability to Diagnose Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma Definitively Using Novel Branched DNA-Enhanced Albumin RNA In Situ Hybridization Technology. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:290-6 pubmed publisher..Albumin RNA ISH could replace the extensive diagnostic workup, leading to timely confirmation of the ICC diagnosis. Additionally, the assay could serve as a guide to distinguish ICC from perihilar adenocarcinoma. ..
- Lee B, Diaz G, Rhead W, Lichter Konecki U, Feigenbaum A, Berry S, et al. Glutamine and hyperammonemic crises in patients with urea cycle disorders. Mol Genet Metab. 2016;117:27-32 pubmed publisher..62; p=0.0011). The findings in this UCD population suggest that glutamine is a weaker predictor of HACs than ammonia and that the utility of the predictive value of glutamine will need to take into account concurrent ammonia levels. ..
- Kadlec A, Beyer A, Ait Aissa K, Gutterman D. Mitochondrial signaling in the vascular endothelium: beyond reactive oxygen species. Basic Res Cardiol. 2016;111:26 pubmed publisher..In describing these novel signaling factors, we pay specific attention to their influence on endothelial homeostasis. Therapies targeting these pathways are discussed, as are emerging research directions. ..
- Wrighton S, VandenBranden M. Isolation and characterization of human fetal liver cytochrome P450HLp2: a third member of the P450III gene family. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1989;268:144-51 pubmed..These results demonstrate that HLp2 and HLp are highly related but distinct proteins and that HLp2 is a member of the steroid-inducible P450III gene family. ..
- Ozker K, Kabasakal L, Liu Y, Hellman R, Isitman A, Krasnow A, et al. Evaluation of 99Tcm-bicisate as a renal imaging agent. Nucl Med Commun. 1997;18:771-5 pubmed..Therefore, we conclude that 99Tcm-ECD is less favourable when compared to existing renal agents due to its high extrarenal uptake and renal kinetics...
- Torres M, Van Tuinen P, Kroner P. The human multimerin gene MMRN maps to chromosome 4q22. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 2000;88:275-7 pubmed
- Fogel B, McNally M. A cellular protein, hnRNP H, binds to the negative regulator of splicing element from Rous sarcoma virus. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:32371-8 pubmed..The possible roles of hnRNP H in NRS function are discussed. ..
- Haberichter S, Fahs S, Montgomery R. von Willebrand factor storage and multimerization: 2 independent intracellular processes. Blood. 2000;96:1808-15 pubmed..vW AgII contains the signal(s) required for trafficking to storage, and only through interaction with vW AgII is vWF chaperoned into granules. (Blood. 2000;96:1808-1815) ..
- Lindstrom D, Conley S, Arvedson J, Beecher R, Carr M. Anterior lingual thyroglossal cyst: antenatal diagnosis, management, and long-term outcome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2003;67:1031-4 pubmed..A strong central nervous system basis for suckle development is suggested by the rapid development of a safe and effective suckle and swallow soon after cyst resection and in spite of in utero tongue fixation. ..
- Truitt R. The Mortimer M. Bortin Lecture: to destroy by the reaction of immunity: the search for separation of graft-versus-leukemia and graft-versus-host. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2004;10:505-23 pubmed
- Zhu S, Layde P, Guse C, Laud P, Pintar F, Nirula R, et al. Obesity and risk for death due to motor vehicle crashes. Am J Public Health. 2006;96:734-9 pubmed..The increased risk for death due to motor vehicle crashes among obese men may have important implications for traffic safety and motor vehicle design. ..
- Guan Y, Zhang J, Yoganandan N, Pintar F, Muszynski C, Gennarelli T. Automating 3D meshing method for patient-specific modeling. Biomed Sci Instrum. 2006;42:199-204 pubmed..Both static and dynamic analyses were performed to verify the models. The study for blunt impact of infant head was performed by using these patient-specific models...
- Gandhi S, Weiskopf R, Jungheinrich C, Koorn R, Miller D, Shangraw R, et al. Volume replacement therapy during major orthopedic surgery using Voluven (hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4) or hetastarch. Anesthesiology. 2007;106:1120-7 pubmed..4 (P=0.0487 and P=0.008, respectively). Voluven (HES 130/0.4) and hetastarch are equally efficacious plasma volume substitutes; however, HES 130/0.4 has a lesser effect on coagulation. ..
- Katz P, Colbert R, Drolet B. Unilateral mosaic cutaneous vascular lesions, enchondroma, multiple soft tissue chondromas and congenital fibrosarcoma--a variant of Maffucci syndrome?. Pediatr Dermatol. 2008;25:205-9 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge this is the first report of this constellation of findings, which may represent a form of mesenchymal mosaicism analogous to the Blaschkoid distribution of other genodermatoses. ..
- Rosenthal A, Mattson E, Gohr C, Hirschmugl C. Characterization of articular calcium-containing crystals by synchrotron FTIR. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2008;16:1395-402 pubmed publisher..sFTIR analysis allows for accurate identification of CPPD and BCP crystals generated in vitro and will be a useful research tool to study articular crystals. ..
- Morgan S, Stevens P. Transgender identity development as represented by a group of female-to-male transgendered adults. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2008;29:585-99 pubmed publisher..Our intention is to expose uninformed people to first-hand accounts by FTM transgendered persons about their life trajectories, particularly during childhood, adolescence, and the early adult years. ..
- Hoeger Bement M, Dicapo J, Rasiarmos R, Hunter S. Dose response of isometric contractions on pain perception in healthy adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008;40:1880-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that activation of high-threshold motor units is involved in exercise-induced analgesia. ..
- Baye T, Zhang Y, Smith E, Hillard C, Gunnell J, Myklebust J, et al. Genetic variation in cannabinoid receptor 1 (CNR1) is associated with derangements in lipid homeostasis, independent of body mass index. Pharmacogenomics. 2008;9:1647-56 pubmed publisher..A common CNR1 haplotype (H4; prevalence 0.132) is associated with abnormal lipid homeostasis. Additional statistical tests using single tagging SNPs revealed that these associations are partly independent of body mass index. ..
- Ginwalla M, Biblo L, Paydak H. Torsade de pointes following intravenous haloperidol administration in a patient with complete heart block. WMJ. 2009;108:48-50 pubmed..The importance of evaluating predisposing risk factors before the administration of any potential QT-prolonging medications is highlighted. ..
- Klein Tasman B, Phillips K, Lord C, Mervis C, Gallo F. Overlap with the autism spectrum in young children with Williams syndrome. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2009;30:289-99 pubmed publisher..The results of this investigation suggest that these abnormalities are not accounted for by developmental delay alone, and care should be taken to avoid diagnostic overshadowing in young children with WS. ..
- Wang T, Cheung K, Mehta P, Roman S, Walker H, Sosa J. To stimulate or withdraw? A cost-utility analysis of recombinant human thyrotropin versus thyroxine withdrawal for radioiodine ablation in patients with low-risk differentiated thyroid cancer in the United States. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:1672-80 pubmed publisher
- Reis L, Tyler R, Schneider A, Bardakjian T, Stoler J, Melancon S, et al. FOXE3 plays a significant role in autosomal recessive microphthalmia. Am J Med Genet A. 2010;152A:582-90 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, FOXE3 mutations represent an important cause of nonsyndromic autosomal recessive bilateral microphthalmia...
- Silver Thorn B, Herrmann A, Current T, McGuire J. Effect of ankle orientation on heel loading and knee stability for post-stroke individuals wearing ankle-foot orthoses. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2011;35:150-62 pubmed publisher..An ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) is commonly prescribed for individuals post stroke with this mobility impairment...
- Namdarghanbari M, Wobig W, Krezoski S, Tabatabai N, Petering D. Mammalian metallothionein in toxicology, cancer, and cancer chemotherapy. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2011;16:1087-101 pubmed publisher..Intertwined is a consideration of MTs role in tumor cell Zn²? metabolism. The paper updates and expands on our recent review by Petering et al. (Met Ions Life Sci 5:353-398, 2009). ..
- Greseth M, Boyle K, Bluma M, Unger B, Wiebe M, Soares Martins J, et al. Molecular genetic and biochemical characterization of the vaccinia virus I3 protein, the replicative single-stranded DNA binding protein. J Virol. 2012;86:6197-209 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we demonstrate that small interfering RNA (siRNA)-mediated depletion of I3 causes a significant decrease in the accumulation of progeny genomes and that this reduction diminishes the yield of infectious virus...
- Baotic I, Ge Z, Sedlic F, Coon A, Weihrauch D, Warltier D, et al. Apolipoprotein A-1 mimetic D-4F enhances isoflurane-induced eNOS signaling and cardioprotection during acute hyperglycemia. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013;305:H219-27 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, D-4F restored the cardioprotective effect of APC during AHG, possibly by decreasing superoxide generation, which promoted isoflurane-induced eNOS signaling and NO biosynthesis. ..
- Nelson L, Strickland C, Krueger R, Arbisi P, Patrick C. Neurobehavioral Traits as Transdiagnostic Predictors of Clinical Problems. Assessment. 2016;23:75-85 pubmed publisher..Given their well-established physiological correlates, these dispositional variables represent prime targets for combined psychometric-neurophysiological assessment of broad liabilities to multiple forms of psychopathology. ..
- Mano Q, Williamson B, Pae H, Osmon D. Stroop interference associated with efficient reading fluency and prelexical orthographic processing. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2016;38:275-83 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that strong reading skills, including orthographic processing, play a supportive role in resolving Stroop interference. ..
- Mombaerts I, Bilyk J, Rose G, McNab A, Fay A, Dolman P, et al. Consensus on Diagnostic Criteria of Idiopathic Orbital Inflammation Using a Modified Delphi Approach. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:769-776 pubmed publisher..This consensus is a step toward developing guidelines for the management of IOI, which needs to be followed by validation studies of the criteria. ..
- Zhou Q, Sims P, Wiedmer T. Identity of a conserved motif in phospholipid scramblase that is required for Ca2+-accelerated transbilayer movement of membrane phospholipids. Biochemistry. 1998;37:2356-60 pubmed..Mutation of residues within the putative EF hand loop of human PL scramblase resulted in loss of its PL mobilizing function, suggesting that these residues directly participate in the Ca2+-induced active conformation of the polypeptide. ..
- Autry A, Jacobson G, Sandhu R, Isbill K. Medical management of non-viable early first trimester pregnancy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1999;67:9-13 pubmed..Either methotrexate plus misoprostol or misoprostol alone effectively completed abortion in women with non-viable early pregnancy and represent acceptable medical alternatives to surgery or expectant management. ..
- Mchaourab A, Arain S, Ebert T. Lack of degradation of sevoflurane by a new carbon dioxide absorbent in humans. Anesthesiology. 2001;94:1007-9 pubmed..During sevoflurane, compound A formed with barium hydroxide lime and soda lime, but not with Amsorb. This new CO2 absorbent effectively scavenged CO2 and was not associated with compound A production. ..
- Rusch M, Dzwierzynski W, Sanger J, Pruit N, Siewert A. Return to work outcomes after work-related hand trauma: the role of causal attributions. J Hand Surg Am. 2003;28:673-7 pubmed..These results suggest the importance of causal attributions as potential predictors of work-site avoidance after traumatic work-related hand injuries, and support the risk for psychologic symptom development after less-severe injuries. ..
- Edmiston C, Krepel C, Seabrook G, Somberg L, Nakeeb A, Cambria R, et al. In vitro activities of moxifloxacin against 900 aerobic and anaerobic surgical isolates from patients with intra-abdominal and diabetic foot infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004;48:1012-6 pubmed..Moxifloxacin exhibited good to excellent antimicrobial activity against most aerobic (90.8%) and anaerobic (97.1%) microorganisms, suggesting that it may be effective for the treatment of polymicrobial surgical infections. ..
- Zhang H, Andrekopoulos C, Joseph J, Crow J, Kalyanaraman B. The carbonate radical anion-induced covalent aggregation of human copper, zinc superoxide dismutase, and alpha-synuclein: intermediacy of tryptophan- and tyrosine-derived oxidation products. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004;36:1355-65 pubmed..Implications of oxidant-mediated aggregation of hSOD1 in the increased cytotoxicity of motor neurons in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis are discussed. ..
- Chen X, Doffek K, Sugg S, Shilyansky J. Phosphatidylserine regulates the maturation of human dendritic cells. J Immunol. 2004;173:2985-94 pubmed..Furthermore, activated CTLs proliferated poorly to cognate Ag presented by DCs exposed to PS. Our findings suggest that PS exposure provides a sufficient signal to inhibit DC maturation and to modulate adaptive immune responses. ..
- Poch M, Al Kassim L, Smolinski S, Hines R. Two distinct classes of CCAAT box elements that bind nuclear factor-Y/alpha-actinin-4: potential role in human CYP1A1 regulation. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2004;199:239-50 pubmed
- Budovec J, Sudakoff G, Dzwierzynski W, Matloub H, Sanger J. Sonographic differentiation of digital tendon rupture from adhesive scarring after primary surgical repair. J Hand Surg Am. 2006;31:524-9 pubmed..Sonography is an accurate modality for differentiating tendon rupture from adhesive scarring in patients with prior surgical tendon repair. Diagnostic, Level I. ..
- Sood P, Sinson G, Cohen E. Subdural hematomas in chronic dialysis patients: significant and increasing. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;2:956-9 pubmed..This high occurrence rate of subdural hematoma and its recent increase may be related to increased use of anticoagulants in long-term hemodialysis patients. ..
- Torre D, Papp K, Elnicki M, Durning S. Clerkship directors' practices with respect to preparing students for and using the National Board of Medical Examiners Subject Exam in medicine: results of a United States and Canadian Survey. Acad Med. 2009;84:867-71 pubmed publisher..A need exists to develop remediation plans for students who fail the exam. This report may serve as a reference for curricular and programmatic clerkship decisions. ..
- Zhang Y, Smith E, Baye T, Eckert J, Abraham L, Moses E, et al. Serotonin (5-HT) receptor 5A sequence variants affect human plasma triglyceride levels. Physiol Genomics. 2010;42:168-76 pubmed publisher..This suggests a potential brain-specific regulation of plasma TG levels, possibly by alteration of the expression of HTR5A. ..
- Kerschner J, Erdos G, Hu F, Burrows A, Cioffi J, Khampang P, et al. Partial characterization of normal and Haemophilus influenzae-infected mucosal complementary DNA libraries in chinchilla middle ear mucosa. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2010;119:270-8 pubmed publisher..The cDNA libraries from normal and infected chinchilla MEM will serve as useful molecular tools in the study of otitis media and should yield important information with respect to middle ear pathogenesis...
- Bobay K, Jerofke T, Weiss M, Yakusheva O. Age-related differences in perception of quality of discharge teaching and readiness for hospital discharge. Geriatr Nurs. 2010;31:178-87 pubmed publisher..Of particular interest is the applicability of quality of discharge teaching and discharge readiness assessment tools for the older adult population. ..
- Trivedi H, Nadella R, Szabo A. Hydration with sodium bicarbonate for the prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clin Nephrol. 2010;74:288-96 pubmed..Whether hydration with sodium bicarbonate is beneficial for the prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy is uncertain...
- Ulitsky A, Ananthakrishnan A, Naik A, Skaros S, Zadvornova Y, Binion D, et al. Vitamin D deficiency in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: association with disease activity and quality of life. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2011;35:308-16 pubmed publisher..There is a need for prospective studies to assess this correlation and examine the impact of vitamin D supplementation on disease course. ..
- Riess M, Ulrichs J, Pagel P, Woehlck H. Case report: Severe vasospasm mimics hypotension after high-dose intrauterine vasopressin. Anesth Analg. 2011;113:1103-5 pubmed publisher..We discuss the pathophysiology and emphasize the danger of misinterpreting pulselessness as global hypotension instead of vasospasm in this setting...
- Sampath V, Garland J, Le M, Patel A, Konduri G, Cohen J, et al. A TLR5 (g.1174C?>?T) variant that encodes a stop codon (R392X) is associated with bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012;47:460-8 pubmed publisher..Our data support the hypothesis that aberrant pathogen recognition in premature infants arising from TLR pathway genetic variation can contribute to BPD pathogenesis. ..
- Gawrieh S, Marion M, Komorowski R, Wallace J, Charlton M, KISSEBAH A, et al. Genetic variation in the peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-gamma gene is associated with histologically advanced NAFLD. Dig Dis Sci. 2012;57:952-7 pubmed publisher..The GT haplotype was also associated with lobular inflammation. Genetic variation in PPARG is associated with NAFLD, and the GT haplotype is associated with inflammatory and fibrotic changes that denote histologically advanced NAFLD. ..
- Gottschall J, Triulzi D, Kakaiya R, Carrick D, Roback J, Carey P, et al. Human neutrophil antibodies in a blood donor population: a lookback study. Vox Sang. 2013;104:166-70 pubmed publisher..The incidence of TRALI in this lookback was low and combined with low frequency of HNA antibodies in the donor population suggests not screening donors for HNA antibodies at this time is acceptable. ..
- Seneli R, Ebersole K, Oʼconnor K, Snyder A. Estimated V(O2)max from the rockport walk test on a nonmotorized curved treadmill. J Strength Cond Res. 2013;27:3495-505 pubmed publisher..The RWTC underestimates V(O2)max but may be beneficial if a new equation were created specifically for the CT. With appropriate equations for the CT, the RWTC would provide an alternate form of V(O2)max testing. ..
- Chang Y, Koenig L, Pruszynski J, Bradley T, Bosio J, Liu D. Dimensional changes of upper airway after rapid maxillary expansion: a prospective cone-beam computed tomography study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013;143:462-70 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we found that only the cross-sectional area of the upper airway at the posterior nasal spine to basion level significantly gains a moderate increase after rapid maxillary expansion. ..
- Wang S, Laulederkind S, Hayman G, Smith J, Petri V, Lowry T, et al. Analysis of disease-associated objects at the Rat Genome Database. Database (Oxford). 2013;2013:bat046 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we were able to enhance enrichment of neurological diseases by combining 'G-protein coupled receptor binding' annotated genes with 'protein kinase binding' annotated genes. Database URL: http://rgd.mcw.edu..
- Mulder P, Johnson T, Baker L. Excessive weight loss in breastfed infants during the postpartum hospitalization. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2010;39:15-26 pubmed publisher..More research is necessary to determine the cause of a > or =7% weight loss in newborns during the first 48 hours after birth. ..