Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli in Pullman, Washington, United States
Locale: Pullman, Washington, United States
Topic: escherichia coli
- Walt A, Kahn M. The fixA and fixB genes are necessary for anaerobic carnitine reduction in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:4044-7 pubmed..We have constructed E. coli fixA and fixB mutants and find that they are unable to reduce carnitine to gamma-butyrobetaine under anaerobic conditions. ..
- Lu S, Scholz Schroeder B, Gross D. Characterization of the salA, syrF, and syrG regulatory genes located at the right border of the syringomycin gene cluster of Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2002;15:43-53 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that salA is located upstream of syrF in the regulatory hierarchy controlling syringomycin production and virulence in P. syringae pv. syringae...
- Zhang J, Quigley N, Gross D. Analysis of the syrP gene, which regulates syringomycin synthesis by Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1997;63:2771-8 pubmed..These results suggest that the syrP gene encodes a regulatory protein that participates in a phosphorylation cascade controlling syringomycin production and virulence in P. syringae pv. syringae...
- Skare J, Postle K. Evidence for a TonB-dependent energy transduction complex in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:2883-90 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Letain T, Postle K. TonB protein appears to transduce energy by shuttling between the cytoplasmic membrane and the outer membrane in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1997;24:271-83 pubmed
- Shuttleworth W, Hough C, Bertrand K, Evans J. Over-production of 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase in Escherichia coli: use of the T7 promoter. Protein Eng. 1992;5:461-6 pubmed
- Heinzen R, Frazier M, Mallavia L. Coxiella burnetii superoxide dismutase gene: cloning, sequencing, and expression in Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 1992;60:3814-23 pubmed..Isolation of the C. burnetii SOD gene may provide an opportunity to examine its role in the intracellular survival of this rickettsia. ..
- Diamond D, Strobel S, Chun S, Randall L. Interaction of SecB with intermediates along the folding pathway of maltose-binding protein. Protein Sci. 1995;4:1118-23 pubmed
- Heinzen R, Mo Y, Robertson S, Mallavia L. Characterization of the succinate dehydrogenase-encoding gene cluster (sdh) from the rickettsia Coxiella burnetii. Gene. 1995;155:27-34 pubmed..coli wild type. A plasmid clone lacking the sdh upstream regulatory region did not complement nor produce sdh mRNA by dot blot analysis.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Yaghmai R, Hazelbauer G. Strategies for differential sensory responses mediated through the same transmembrane receptor. EMBO J. 1993;12:1897-905 pubmed..Two-step recognition of ligand allows functional separation of detection and response. ..
- Udvardi M, McDermott T, Kahn M. Isolation and characterization of a cDNA encoding NADP(+)-specific isocitrate dehydrogenase from soybean (Glycine max). Plant Mol Biol. 1993;21:739-52 pubmed..0 and Mg2+ above pH 8.0. The Km for isocitrate and NADP was 21 microM and 11 microM respectively with Mn2+ as cofactor and 13 microM and 12 microM with Mg2+ as cofactor...
- Matsuoka M, McFadden B. Isolation, hyperexpression, and sequencing of the aceA gene encoding isocitrate lyase in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:4528-36 pubmed..8-kilodalton subunit of the castor bean enzyme with 39% identity except for limited N- and C-terminal regions and a 103-residue stretch that was unique for the plant enzyme and started approximately in the middle of that peptide. ..
- Baumgartner J, Hazelbauer G. Mutational analysis of a transmembrane segment in a bacterial chemoreceptor. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:4651-60 pubmed..Our mutational analysis also revealed a striking tolerance of the chemoreceptor for substitutions, including charged residues, usually considered to be disruptive of transmembrane segments. ..
- Chun S, Randall L. In vivo studies of the role of SecA during protein export in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:4197-203 pubmed..The results indicate that the mutational change and treatment with sodium azide inhibit export by affecting different steps in the cycle of ATP binding and hydrolysis by SecA...
- Randall L, Hardy S, Topping T, Smith V, Bruce J, Smith R. The interaction between the chaperone SecB and its ligands: evidence for multiple subsites for binding. Protein Sci. 1998;7:2384-90 pubmed..Here we have used titration calorimetry, analytical ultracentrifugation, and electrospray ionization Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometry to obtain evidence that such distinguishable subsites exist. ..
- Park H, Suquet C, Savenkova M, Satterlee J, Kang C. Cloning, purification, crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of DOS heme domain, a new heme oxygen sensor in Escherichia coli. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2002;58:1504-6 pubmed..1, b = 68.1, c = 82.6 A. A complete diffraction data set was collected to 1.9 A for MAD phasing. The electron-density map shows two molecules in an asymmetric unit and a unique six-coordination of the heme iron. ..
- Nakata P, Greene T, Anderson J, Smith White B, Okita T, Preiss J. Comparison of the primary sequences of two potato tuber ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase subunits. Plant Mol Biol. 1991;17:1089-93 pubmed..Amino acid comparisons of both potato tuber sequences to the Escherichia coli ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase sequence revealed conserved regions important for both catalytic and allosteric function of the bacterial enzyme...
- Smith V, Schwartz B, Randall L, Smith R. Electrospray mass spectrometric investigation of the chaperone SecB. Protein Sci. 1996;5:488-94 pubmed..We identified the primary site of cleavage to be between Leu 141 and Gln 142. Fourteen amino acids are removed, but the truncated form remains a tetramer with stability similar to that of the intact form. ..
- Mo Y, Cianciotto N, Mallavia L. Molecular cloning of a Coxiella burnetii gene encoding a macrophage infectivity potentiator (Mip) analogue. Microbiology. 1995;141 ( Pt 11):2861-71 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, TnphoA mutagenesis demonstrated that in E. coli CbMip was secreted. In view of the role of Mip/Mip-like proteins in the pathogenesis of Legionella and Chlamydia, CbMip may be a C. burnetii virulence factor...
- Mo Y, Mallavia L. A Coxiella burnetii gene encodes a sensor-like protein. Gene. 1994;151:185-90 pubmed
- Hazelbauer G, Park C, Nowlin D. Adaptational "crosstalk" and the crucial role of methylation in chemotactic migration by Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:1448-52 pubmed..This observation emphasizes the central role of methylation and the modular nature of the chemosensory system. ..
- Alfano J, Kahn M. Isolation and characterization of a gene coding for a novel aspartate aminotransferase from Rhizobium meliloti. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:4186-96 pubmed..87 mM. Its pH optimum is between 8.0 and 8.5. Mutations were constructed in aatB and tatA and transferred to the genome of R. meliloti 104A14. Both mutants were prototrophs and were able to carry out symbiotic nitrogen fixation...
- Baumgartner J, Kim C, Brissette R, Inouye M, Park C, Hazelbauer G. Transmembrane signalling by a hybrid protein: communication from the domain of chemoreceptor Trg that recognizes sugar-binding proteins to the kinase/phosphatase domain of osmosensor EnvZ. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:1157-63 pubmed
- Garvis S, Tipton S, Konkel M. Identification of a functional homolog of the Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium cysM gene encoding O-acetylserine sulfhydrylase B in Campylobacter jejuni. Gene. 1997;185:63-7 pubmed..These data indicate that the cloned C. jejuni gene is a functional homolog of the cysM gene that codes for O-acetylserine sulfhydrylase B in E. coli and S. typhimurium. ..
- Lin Z, Mallavia L. Identification of a partition region carried by the plasmid QpH1 of Coxiella burnetii. Mol Microbiol. 1994;13:513-23 pubmed..These data suggest that fragment C carries the plasmid partition region of the plasmid QpH1. ..
- Ahmer B, Thomas M, Larsen R, Postle K. Characterization of the exbBD operon of Escherichia coli and the role of ExbB and ExbD in TonB function and stability. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4742-7 pubmed..Residual ExbD-PhoA expression in an exbB::Tn10 strain was not iron regulated and may have originated from within the Tn10 element in exbB. ..
- Ko Y, Vanni P, McFadden B. The interaction of 3-phosphoglycerate and other substrate analogs with the glyoxylate- and succinate-binding sites of isocitrate lyase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1989;274:155-60 pubmed..The interaction of other substrate analogs, including glycolate, oxalate, phosphoenolpyruvate, and cis-aconitate, with isocitrate lyase from E. coli is also characterized. ..
- Mallavia L. Genetics of rickettsiae. Eur J Epidemiol. 1991;7:213-21 pubmed..quintana by electroporation is an important first step in this direction. The ability to introduce genetic material is necessary to address questions that cannot be resolved by studying rickettsial gene expression in E. coli. ..
- Lee G, Lebert M, Lilly A, Hazelbauer G. Transmembrane signaling characterized in bacterial chemoreceptors by using sulfhydryl cross-linking in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:3391-5 pubmed..We deduce that transmembrane signaling requires substantial movement between transmembrane helices of a monomer but not between interacting helices across the interface between subunits. ..
- Diehl P, McFadden B. The importance of four histidine residues in isocitrate lyase from Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:927-31 pubmed..All the H-197, H-266, and H-306 mutants supported the growth of isocitrate lyase-deficient E. coli JE10 on acetate as the sole carbon source; however, the H-184 mutants did not. ..
- Powers E, Randall L. Export of periplasmic galactose-binding protein in Escherichia coli depends on the chaperone SecB. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:1906-7 pubmed..The efficient export of galactose-binding protein to the periplasm of Escherichia coli is shown to be dependent on the presence of the cytosolic chaperone SecB. ..
- Carlsson A, LaBrie S, Kinney A, von Wettstein Knowles P, Browse J. A KAS2 cDNA complements the phenotypes of the Arabidopsis fab1 mutant that differs in a single residue bordering the substrate binding pocket. Plant J. 2002;29:761-70 pubmed..These results suggest that the molecular defect in fab1 plants is a structural instability of the KAS2 gene product induced by insufficient space for the imidazole ring of the mutant phenylalanine residue. ..
- Ramilo C, Evans J. Overexpression, purification, and characterization of tyrosine-sensitive 3-deoxy-D-arabino-heptulosonic acid 7-phosphate synthase from Escherichia coli. Protein Expr Purif. 1997;9:253-61 pubmed..KCN inactivated the enzyme to only 80% and added metals reactivated the CN-treated enzyme only to a small extent. These results confirm the importance of the metal in the enzymatic reaction. ..
- Randall L, Topping T, Smith V, Diamond D, Hardy S. SecB: a chaperone from Escherichia coli. Methods Enzymol. 1998;290:444-59 pubmed
- Kumar V, Spangenberg O, Konrad M. Cloning of the guanylate kinase homologues AGK-1 and AGK-2 from Arabidopsis thaliana and characterization of AGK-1. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:606-15 pubmed..The identification of AGKs provides new perspectives for understanding the role of guanylate kinases in plant cell signalling pathways. ..
- Shockey J, Fulda M, Browse J. Arabidopsis contains a large superfamily of acyl-activating enzymes. Phylogenetic and biochemical analysis reveals a new class of acyl-coenzyme a synthetases. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:1065-76 pubmed