Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish proteins in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: zebrafish proteins
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Essner J, Vogan K, Wagner M, Tabin C, Yost H, Brueckner M. Conserved function for embryonic nodal cilia. Nature. 2002;418:37-8 pubmed
- Anderson C, Neufeld K, White R. Subcellular distribution of Wnt pathway proteins in normal and neoplastic colon. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:8683-8 pubmed..The observation of nuclear beta-catenin in fewer than half of carcinoma images and only rarely in polyps indicates that nuclear translocation of beta-catenin may not be an immediate consequence of the loss of APC. ..
- Briona L, Dorsky R. Radial glial progenitors repair the zebrafish spinal cord following transection. Exp Neurol. 2014;256:81-92 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that dbx1a:GFP(+) radial glia may be stem cells for the regeneration of interneurons following spinal cord injury in zebrafish. ..
- Fujimoto E, Gaynes B, Brimley C, Chien C, Bonkowsky J. Gal80 intersectional regulation of cell-type specific expression in vertebrates. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2324-34 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Gal80 is a powerful addition to the genetic techniques available to map and manipulate neural circuits in zebrafish. ..
- Samson S, Ferrer T, Jou C, Sachse F, Shankaran S, Shaw R, et al. 3-OST-7 regulates BMP-dependent cardiac contraction. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001727 pubmed publisher..Together these results reveal 3-OST-7 as a key component of a novel pathway that constrains BMP signaling from ventricular myocytes, coordinates sarcomere assembly, and promotes cardiac contractile function. ..
- Gao Z, Seeling J, Hill V, Yochum A, Virshup D. Casein kinase I phosphorylates and destabilizes the beta-catenin degradation complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:1182-7 pubmed..The data suggest that CKI phosphorylates and destabilizes the beta-catenin degradation complex, likely through the dissociation of PP2A, providing a mechanism by which CKI stabilizes beta-catenin and propagates the Wnt signal. ..
- Aman A, Piotrowski T. Cell-cell signaling interactions coordinate multiple cell behaviors that drive morphogenesis of the lateral line. Cell Adh Migr. 2011;5:499-508 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize the signaling network that patterns the migrating lateral line primordium and describe how this patterning coordinates crucial morphogenic cell behaviors. ..
- Kramer K, Yost H. Ectodermal syndecan-2 mediates left-right axis formation in migrating mesoderm as a cell-nonautonomous Vg1 cofactor. Dev Cell. 2002;2:115-24 pubmed..We describe a cell-nonautonomous role for ectodermal syndecan-2 in transmitting left-right information to migrating mesoderm. The results further suggest that this function may be related to the transduction of Vg1-related signals. ..
- Sorrells S, Carbonneau S, Harrington E, Chen A, Hast B, Milash B, et al. Ccdc94 protects cells from ionizing radiation by inhibiting the expression of p53. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002922 pubmed publisher..Future studies in human cancer cells will determine whether pharmacological inactivation of CCDC94 reduces the threshold of the cancer cell apoptotic response. ..
- Cadwallader A, Yost H. Combinatorial expression patterns of heparan sulfate sulfotransferases in zebrafish: III. 2-O-sulfotransferase and C5-epimerases. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:581-6 pubmed..Furthermore, although 2-OST and C5-epimerase are predicted to be interdependent for protein translocation from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi, their expression is not coordinately regulated during zebrafish development. ..
- Jimenez L, Wang J, Morrison M, Whatcott C, Soh K, Warner S, et al. Phenotypic chemical screening using a zebrafish neural crest EMT reporter identifies retinoic acid as an inhibitor of epithelial morphogenesis. Dis Model Mech. 2016;9:389-400 pubmed publisher..These studies identify TP-0903 as a new therapeutic for activating RAin vivoand raise the possibility that RA-dependent inhibition of EMT contributes to its prior success in eliminating disseminated cancer cells. ..
- Thomas K, Capecchi M. Targeted disruption of the murine int-1 proto-oncogene resulting in severe abnormalities in midbrain and cerebellar development. Nature. 1990;346:847-50 pubmed
- Nguyen T, Tran V, Sorna V, Eriksson I, Kojima A, Koketsu M, et al. Dimerized glycosaminoglycan chains increase FGF signaling during zebrafish development. ACS Chem Biol. 2013;8:939-48 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these in vivo findings, we propose a new model for GAG/FGF/FGFR interactions in which dimerized GAG chains can activate FGF-mediated signal transduction pathways. ..
- Rai K, Chidester S, Zavala C, Manos E, James S, Karpf A, et al. Dnmt2 functions in the cytoplasm to promote liver, brain, and retina development in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2007;21:261-6 pubmed..Furthermore, zebrafish Dnmt2 methylates an RNA species of approximately 80 bases, consistent with tRNA methylation. Thus, Dnmt2 promotes zebrafish development, likely through cytoplasmic RNA methylation. ..
- Suli A, Mortimer N, Shepherd I, Chien C. Netrin/DCC signaling controls contralateral dendrites of octavolateralis efferent neurons. J Neurosci. 2006;26:13328-37 pubmed..This work is the first evidence that Netrin/DCC signaling acts in dendrites in a vertebrate system. ..
- Bonkowsky J, Chien C. Molecular cloning and developmental expression of foxP2 in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:740-6 pubmed..Thus, in addition to specific roles in language development, foxP2 likely has a more general conserved role in nervous system development. ..
- Hutson L, Jurynec M, Yeo S, Okamoto H, Chien C. Two divergent slit1 genes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:358-69 pubmed..Their expression patterns, particularly that of slit1a, suggest that Slit proteins may have roles in tissue morphogenesis in addition to their established roles in axon guidance and cell migration. ..
- Wang X, Lee J, Dorsky R. Identification of Wnt-responsive cells in the zebrafish hypothalamus. Zebrafish. 2009;6:49-58 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that canonical Wnt signaling may be functionally required for maintenance of neural progenitor and precursor pools in the embryo, and for ongoing neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish. ..
- Hugo S, Schlegel A. A Genetic Model to Study Increased Hexosamine Biosynthetic Flux. Endocrinology. 2017;158:2420-2426 pubmed publisher..This animal model will provide a platform for dissecting how O-GlcNAc modification alters insulin responsiveness in multiple tissues. ..
- Swiatek W, Tsai I, Klimowski L, Pepler A, Barnette J, Yost H, et al. Regulation of casein kinase I epsilon activity by Wnt signaling. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:13011-7 pubmed..Activation of the Wnt pathway may therefore stimulate a cellular phosphatase to dephosphorylate and activate CKIepsilon ..
- Kim H, Dorsky R. Tcf7l1 is required for spinal cord progenitor maintenance. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2256-64 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that Tcf7l1 plays an important role in spinal cord progenitor maintenance, indicating that this core function is conserved throughout multiple epithelial cell populations. ..
- Bisgrove B, Essner J, Yost H. Regulation of midline development by antagonism of lefty and nodal signaling. Development. 1999;126:3253-62 pubmed..A model is proposed by which the vertebrate midline, and thus bilateral symmetry, is established and maintained by antagonistic interactions among co-expressed members of the lefty and nodal subfamilies of TGF-beta signaling molecules. ..
- Goering L, Hoshijima K, Hug B, Bisgrove B, Kispert A, Grunwald D. An interacting network of T-box genes directs gene expression and fate in the zebrafish mesoderm. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9410-5 pubmed..We propose that T-box genes, like Hox genes, often function within gene networks comprised of related family members. ..
- Peterson A, Wang X, Yost H. Dvr1 transfers left-right asymmetric signals from Kupffer's vesicle to lateral plate mesoderm in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;382:198-208 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Dvr1 is responsible for enabling the transfer of a left-right signal from KV to the LPM. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Dorsky R. Regulation and function of Dbx genes in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3472-83 pubmed..Our data confirm that the dbx1a/1b/2 domain in zebrafish spinal cord development behaves similarly to amniotes, while extending knowledge of Dbx1 function in spinal cord patterning. ..
- Hutchinson S, Tooke Locke E, Wang J, Tsai S, Katz T, Trede N. Tbl3 regulates cell cycle length during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2012;368:261-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that tbl3 plays a tissue-specific role regulating cell cycle rate during development. ..
- Cadwallader A, Yost H. Combinatorial expression patterns of heparan sulfate sulfotransferases in zebrafish: I. The 3-O-sulfotransferase family. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3423-31 pubmed..The 3-OST gene family has both specifically expressed and ubiquitously expressed genes, suggesting in vivo functional differences exist between members of this family. ..
- Colas J, Schoenwolf G. Subtractive hybridization identifies chick-cripto, a novel EGF-CFC ortholog expressed during gastrulation, neurulation and early cardiogenesis. Gene. 2000;255:205-17 pubmed..We named this novel ortholog in bird, chick-cripto. We report the mRNA distribution of chick-cripto, which begins in the epiblast of the gastrula, with a pattern similar to EGF-CFC genes of other vertebrates. ..
- Poulain F, Chien C. Proteoglycan-mediated axon degeneration corrects pretarget topographic sorting errors. Neuron. 2013;78:49-56 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a function for developmental axon degeneration in ordering axonal projections and identify heparan sulfate as a key regulator of that process. ..
- Van Raay T, Wang Y, Stark M, Rasmussen J, Francke U, Vetter M, et al. frizzled 9 is expressed in neural precursor cells in the developing neural tube. Dev Genes Evol. 2001;211:453-7 pubmed..5, a region specified to give rise to neurons and glia. Using a polyclonal antibody to MFZ9 further shows expression limited to neural restricted precursors cells. ..
- Bisgrove B, Snarr B, Emrazian A, Yost H. Polaris and Polycystin-2 in dorsal forerunner cells and Kupffer's vesicle are required for specification of the zebrafish left-right axis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:274-88 pubmed..Our data suggest that the functions of polaris and pkd2 in LR patterning are conserved between zebrafish and mice and that Kupffer's vesicle functions as a ciliated organ of asymmetry. ..
- Arrington C, Peterson A, Yost H. Sdc2 and Tbx16 regulate Fgf2-dependent epithelial cell morphogenesis in the ciliated organ of asymmetry. Development. 2013;140:4102-9 pubmed publisher..Through an Fgf2-independent pathway, Sdc2 and Tbx16 also control KV ciliogenesis. Our results uncover a novel Sdc2-Tbx16-Fgf2 pathway that regulates epithelial cell morphogenesis...
- Aman A, Piotrowski T. Wnt/beta-catenin and Fgf signaling control collective cell migration by restricting chemokine receptor expression. Dev Cell. 2008;15:749-61 pubmed publisher..Although the Fgf, Wnt/beta-catenin, and chemokine signaling pathways are well known to be involved in cancer progression, these studies provide in vivo evidence that these pathways are functionally linked. ..
- Bonner J, Gribble S, Veien E, Nikolaus O, Weidinger G, Dorsky R. Proliferation and patterning are mediated independently in the dorsal spinal cord downstream of canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Biol. 2008;313:398-407 pubmed..Together, our work demonstrates that proliferation and patterning in the developing spinal cord are separable events that are regulated independently by Wnt signaling. ..
- Cadwallader A, Yost H. Combinatorial expression patterns of heparan sulfate sulfotransferases in zebrafish: II. The 6-O-sulfotransferase family. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3432-7 pubmed..Members of the 6-OST gene family have spatially and temporally distinct restricted expression, suggesting in vivo functional differences exist between members of this family. ..
- Amack J, Wang X, Yost H. Two T-box genes play independent and cooperative roles to regulate morphogenesis of ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:196-210 pubmed..By targeting morpholinos to DFCs, we show that these cell autonomous functions in KV morphogenesis are necessary for LR patterning throughout the embryo. ..
- Mansour S, Goddard J, Capecchi M. Mice homozygous for a targeted disruption of the proto-oncogene int-2 have developmental defects in the tail and inner ear. Development. 1993;117:13-28 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that even in a uniform genetic background, stochastic variation in the expression of a developmental circuit can result in dramatic differences in phenotypic consequences. ..
- Imanishi Y, Yang L, Sokal I, Filipek S, Palczewski K, Baehr W. Diversity of guanylate cyclase-activating proteins (GCAPs) in teleost fish: characterization of three novel GCAPs (GCAP4, GCAP5, GCAP7) from zebrafish (Danio rerio) and prediction of eight GCAPs (GCAP1-8) in pufferfish (Fugu rubripes). J Mol Evol. 2004;59:204-217 pubmed publisher..Based on genome searches and EST analyses, the mouse and human genomes do not harbor GCAP4-8 or GCIP genes. ..
- Tsai I, Amack J, Gao Z, Band V, Yost H, Virshup D. A Wnt-CKIvarepsilon-Rap1 pathway regulates gastrulation by modulating SIPA1L1, a Rap GTPase activating protein. Dev Cell. 2007;12:335-47 pubmed..Our data demonstrate a role for CKIvarepsilon in noncanonical Wnt signaling and indicate that Wnt regulates morphogenesis in part through CKIvarepsilon-mediated control of Rap1 signaling. ..
- Braun D, Rao J, Mollet G, Schapiro D, Daugeron M, Tan W, et al. Mutations in KEOPS-complex genes cause nephrotic syndrome with primary microcephaly. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1529-1538 pubmed publisher..We thus identified four new monogenic causes of GAMOS, describe a link between KEOPS function and human disease, and delineate potential pathogenic mechanisms. ..
- Kopinke D, Sasine J, Swift J, Stephens W, Piotrowski T. Retinoic acid is required for endodermal pouch morphogenesis and not for pharyngeal endoderm specification. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2695-709 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the developmental processes underlying pharyngeal arch defects differ depending on when RA signaling is disturbed during development...
- Rai K, Nadauld L, Chidester S, Manos E, James S, Karpf A, et al. Zebra fish Dnmt1 and Suv39h1 regulate organ-specific terminal differentiation during development. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7077-85 pubmed..Our results suggest that Dnmt1 activity helps direct histone methylation by Suv39h1 and that, together, Dnmt1 and Suv39h1 help guide the terminal differentiation of particular tissues. ..
- Eisenhoffer G, Loftus P, Yoshigi M, Otsuna H, Chien C, Morcos P, et al. Crowding induces live cell extrusion to maintain homeostatic cell numbers in epithelia. Nature. 2012;484:546-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that live cell extrusion could be a tumour-suppressive mechanism that prevents the accumulation of excess epithelial cells. ..
- Essner J, Amack J, Nyholm M, Harris E, Yost H. Kupffer's vesicle is a ciliated organ of asymmetry in the zebrafish embryo that initiates left-right development of the brain, heart and gut. Development. 2005;132:1247-60 pubmed..These results suggest that cilia are an essential component of a conserved mechanism that controls the transition from bilateral symmetry to LR asymmetry in vertebrates. ..
- Lim A, Suli A, Yaniv K, Weinstein B, Li D, Chien C. Motoneurons are essential for vascular pathfinding. Development. 2011;138:3847-57 pubmed publisher..These results provide a definitive example of the requirement of axons in endothelial guidance leading to the parallel patterning of nerves and vessels in vivo. ..
- Choudhry P, Joshi D, Funke B, Trede N. Alcama mediates Edn1 signaling during zebrafish cartilage morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;349:483-93 pubmed publisher..1 during chondrogenesis. Collectively our results support a model by which Alcama on the endoderm interacts with Nadl1.1 on NC to mediate Edn1 signaling and NC differentiation during chondrogenesis. ..
- Liu X, Li Y, Shinton S, Rhodes J, Tang L, Feng H, et al. Zebrafish B Cell Development without a Pre-B Cell Stage, Revealed by CD79 Fluorescence Reporter Transgenes. J Immunol. 2017;199:1706-1715 pubmed publisher..This confirmed a conserved role for CD79 in B cell development and differentiation, without the requirement of a pre-B cell stage in zebrafish. ..
- Nadauld L, Sandoval I, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. Adenomatous polyposis coli control of retinoic acid biosynthesis is critical for zebrafish intestinal development and differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51581-9 pubmed..Our data establish a genetic link supporting a critical role for retinoic acid downstream of APC and confirm the importance of retinoic acid in enterocyte differentiation. ..
- Fricke C, Chien C. Cloning of full-length zebrafish dcc and expression analysis during embryonic and early larval development. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:732-9 pubmed..Thus, dcc may play roles not only in axon guidance, but in morphogenesis and functioning of these organs as well. ..
- Sato M, Tsai H, Yost H. Semaphorin3D regulates invasion of cardiac neural crest cells into the primary heart field. Dev Biol. 2006;298:12-21 pubmed..We propose that a population of sema3D-dependent neural crest cells follow a novel migratory pathway, perhaps toward nrp1A-expressing LPM, and serve as an important early source of cardiomyocytes in the primary heart field. ..
- Branford W, Yost H. Lefty-dependent inhibition of Nodal- and Wnt-responsive organizer gene expression is essential for normal gastrulation. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2136-41 pubmed..We hypothesize that Xlefty negatively regulates the spatial extent of Nodal- and Wnt-responsive gene expression in the organizer and that this Xlefty-dependent inhibition is essential for normal organizer patterning and gastrulation...
- Rai K, Huggins I, James S, Karpf A, Jones D, Cairns B. DNA demethylation in zebrafish involves the coupling of a deaminase, a glycosylase, and gadd45. Cell. 2008;135:1201-12 pubmed publisher..Our results provide evidence for a coupled mechanism of 5-meC demethylation, whereby AID deaminates 5-meC, followed by thymine base excision by Mbd4, promoted by Gadd45. ..
- Xing L, Hoshijima K, Grunwald D, Fujimoto E, Quist T, Sneddon J, et al. Zebrafish foxP2 zinc finger nuclease mutant has normal axon pathfinding. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43968 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that foxP2 is not necessary for axon pathfinding during development. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Carver M, Hoshijima K, Dorsky R. Chromosomal position mediates spinal cord expression of a dbx1a enhancer. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2929-35 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, a single insertion line expressed the reporter in the endogenous pattern, indicating that other local regulatory elements modulate gene expression through the 3.5-kb enhancer. ..
- Campbell D, Stringham S, Timm A, Xiao T, Law M, Baier H, et al. Slit1a inhibits retinal ganglion cell arborization and synaptogenesis via Robo2-dependent and -independent pathways. Neuron. 2007;55:231-45 pubmed..Unlike previous PNS studies showing that Slits promote branching, our results show that Slits inhibit arborization and synaptogenesis in the CNS. ..
- Cadwalader E, Condic M, Yost H. 2-O-sulfotransferase regulates Wnt signaling, cell adhesion and cell cycle during zebrafish epiboly. Development. 2012;139:1296-305 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that 2-OST functions within the Wnt pathway, downstream of Wnt ligand signaling and upstream of Gsk3? and ?-catenin intracellular localization and function. ..
- Gu Y, Forostyan T, Sabbadini R, Rosenblatt J. Epithelial cell extrusion requires the sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 2 pathway. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:667-76 pubmed publisher..Because live cells can also be extruded, we predict that this S1P pathway may also be important for driving delamination of stem cells during differentiation or invasion of cancer cells...
- Bisgrove B, Raible D, Walter V, Eisen J, Grunwald D. Expression of c-ret in the zebrafish embryo: potential roles in motoneuronal development. J Neurobiol. 1997;33:749-68 pubmed..c-ret is expressed at low levels in the other primary motoneurons and also in a subset of secondary motoneurons, suggesting that it may also play a broader role in motoneuronal survival or maintenance. ..
- Thomas K, Musci T, Neumann P, Capecchi M. Swaying is a mutant allele of the proto-oncogene Wnt-1. Cell. 1991;67:969-76 pubmed
- Vetter M, Brown N. The role of basic helix-loop-helix genes in vertebrate retinogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2001;12:491-8 pubmed
- Boulet A, Capecchi M. Duplication of the Hoxd11 gene causes alterations in the axial and appendicular skeleton of the mouse. Dev Biol. 2002;249:96-107 pubmed..Interestingly, the insertion of an additional Hoxd11 locus into the HoxD complex does not appear to affect the expression patterns of the neighboring Hoxd10, -d12, or -d13 genes. ..
- Nadauld L, Shelton D, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. The zebrafish retinol dehydrogenase, rdh1l, is essential for intestinal development and is regulated by the tumor suppressor adenomatous polyposis coli. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30490-5 pubmed
- Park K, Urness L, Senchuk M, Colvin C, Wythe J, Chien C, et al. Identification of new netrin family members in zebrafish: developmental expression of netrin 2 and netrin 4. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:726-31 pubmed..In contrast, netrin 4 is detected only at very low levels during early development. The nonoverlapping expression patterns of these four Netrins suggest that they may play unique roles in zebrafish development. ..
- Neugebauer J, Cadwallader A, Amack J, Bisgrove B, Yost H. Differential roles for 3-OSTs in the regulation of cilia length and motility. Development. 2013;140:3892-902 pubmed publisher..We propose that individual 3-OST isozymes create distinct modified domains or 'glycocodes' on cell surface proteoglycans, which in turn regulate the response to diverse cell signaling pathways. ..
- Dorsky R, Itoh M, Moon R, Chitnis A. Two tcf3 genes cooperate to pattern the zebrafish brain. Development. 2003;130:1937-47 pubmed..In addition, Tcf3b has a second and unique role in the morphogenesis of rhombomere boundaries, indicating that it controls multiple aspects of brain development. ..
- Lin J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Progenitor expansion in apc mutants is mediated by Jak/Stat signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:73 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that the regulation of Jak/Stat signaling may represent a conserved mechanism explaining the expansion of undifferentiated cells downstream of APC mutations. ..
- Jurynec M, Grunwald D. SHIP2, a factor associated with diet-induced obesity and insulin sensitivity, attenuates FGF signaling in vivo. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:733-42 pubmed publisher..We suggest that modulation of FGF signaling may be a principal function of SHIP2 in mammals. ..
- Amack J, Yost H. The T box transcription factor no tail in ciliated cells controls zebrafish left-right asymmetry. Curr Biol. 2004;14:685-90 pubmed
- Bonkowsky J, Wang X, Fujimoto E, Lee J, Chien C, Dorsky R. Domain-specific regulation of foxP2 CNS expression by lef1. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:103 pubmed publisher..The foxP2 enhancers we identified will allow dissection of foxP2's role during CNS development. ..