Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Publications136 found, 100 shown here
- Lee J, Wu S, Goering L, Dorsky R. Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesis. Development. 2006;133:4451-61 pubmed..The conserved presence of this pathway in other vertebrates suggests a common mechanism for regulating hypothalamic neurogenesis. ..
- Veien E, Grierson M, Saund R, Dorsky R. Expression pattern of zebrafish tcf7 suggests unexplored domains of Wnt/beta-catenin activity. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:233-9 pubmed..tcf7 is also expressed in nonoverlapping areas such as the prechordal mesoderm, dorsal retina, and median fin fold, suggesting unique functions. ..
- Hardy M, Ross L, Chien C. Focal gene misexpression in zebrafish embryos induced by local heat shock using a modified soldering iron. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3071-6 pubmed..We have validated this method in three stable transgenic lines and at three developmental timepoints. Local heat shock is a fast, easy, and inexpensive method for gene misexpression. ..
- Karanth S, Tran V, Kuberan B, Schlegel A. Polyunsaturated fatty acyl-coenzyme As are inhibitors of cholesterol biosynthesis in zebrafish and mice. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1365-77 pubmed publisher..These results elucidate a mechanism for PUFA-mediated cholesterol lowering through direct inhibition of Hmgcr. ..
- Hugo S, Schlegel A. A Genetic Model to Study Increased Hexosamine Biosynthetic Flux. Endocrinology. 2017;158:2420-2426 pubmed publisher..This animal model will provide a platform for dissecting how O-GlcNAc modification alters insulin responsiveness in multiple tissues. ..
- Prescott S, Yost H. The COXes of Danio: from mechanistic model to experimental therapeutics. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:9084-6 pubmed
- Aman A, Piotrowski T. Wnt/beta-catenin and Fgf signaling control collective cell migration by restricting chemokine receptor expression. Dev Cell. 2008;15:749-61 pubmed publisher..Although the Fgf, Wnt/beta-catenin, and chemokine signaling pathways are well known to be involved in cancer progression, these studies provide in vivo evidence that these pathways are functionally linked. ..
- Stachel S, Grunwald D, Myers P. Lithium perturbation and goosecoid expression identify a dorsal specification pathway in the pregastrula zebrafish. Development. 1993;117:1261-74 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the zebrafish dorsal axis is signaled by a pathway initiated in the cleavage-stage embryo. Furthermore, they provide novel insights into anterior morphogenesis. ..
- Briona L, Dorsky R. Radial glial progenitors repair the zebrafish spinal cord following transection. Exp Neurol. 2014;256:81-92 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that dbx1a:GFP(+) radial glia may be stem cells for the regeneration of interneurons following spinal cord injury in zebrafish. ..
- De Domenico I, Vaughn M, Yoon D, Kushner J, Ward D, Kaplan J. Zebrafish as a model for defining the functional impact of mammalian ferroportin mutations. Blood. 2007;110:3780-3 pubmed..Expression of wild-type ferroportin or hepcidin-resistant ferroportin (N144H) does not affect erythropoiesis. Zebrafish provides a facile way of identifying which ferroportin mutants may lead to macrophage iron loading. ..
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Kim H, Dorsky R. Tcf7l1 is required for spinal cord progenitor maintenance. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2256-64 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that Tcf7l1 plays an important role in spinal cord progenitor maintenance, indicating that this core function is conserved throughout multiple epithelial cell populations. ..
- Dahlem T, Hoshijima K, Jurynec M, Gunther D, Starker C, Locke A, et al. Simple methods for generating and detecting locus-specific mutations induced with TALENs in the zebrafish genome. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002861 pubmed publisher..In all, it takes about two weeks to create a target-specific TALEN and generate growing embryos that harbor an array of germ line mutations at a pre-specified locus. ..
- Hill J, Demarest B, Bisgrove B, Gorsi B, Su Y, Yost H. MMAPPR: mutation mapping analysis pipeline for pooled RNA-seq. Genome Res. 2013;23:687-97 pubmed publisher..Thus, MMAPPR is a rapid, cost-efficient, and highly automated pipeline, available to perform mutant mapping in any organism with a well-assembled genome. ..
- Chan A, Li D, Berg M, Whitehead K. Recent insights into cerebral cavernous malformations: animal models of CCM and the human phenotype. FEBS J. 2010;277:1076-83 pubmed publisher..Challenges and progress towards developing a faithful model of CCM biology are reviewed. ..
- Poulain F, Chien C. Proteoglycan-mediated axon degeneration corrects pretarget topographic sorting errors. Neuron. 2013;78:49-56 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a function for developmental axon degeneration in ordering axonal projections and identify heparan sulfate as a key regulator of that process. ..
- Wiles T, Norton J, Russell C, Dalley B, Fischer K, Mulvey M. Combining quantitative genetic footprinting and trait enrichment analysis to identify fitness determinants of a bacterial pathogen. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003716 pubmed publisher..Together, the approaches and observations reported herein provide a resource for future pathogenomics-based research and highlight the diversity of factors required by a single ExPEC isolate to survive within varying host environments. ..
- Lee J, Ray R, Chien C. Cloning and expression of three zebrafish roundabout homologs suggest roles in axon guidance and cell migration. Dev Dyn. 2001;221:216-30 pubmed..They are also expressed in several nonneuronal tissues, including somites and fin buds. The timing and patterns of expression suggest roles for zebrafish robos in axon guidance and cell migration. Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Hutson L, Jurynec M, Yeo S, Okamoto H, Chien C. Two divergent slit1 genes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:358-69 pubmed..Their expression patterns, particularly that of slit1a, suggest that Slit proteins may have roles in tissue morphogenesis in addition to their established roles in axon guidance and cell migration. ..
- Bonkowsky J, Chien C. Molecular cloning and developmental expression of foxP2 in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:740-6 pubmed..Thus, in addition to specific roles in language development, foxP2 likely has a more general conserved role in nervous system development. ..
- Sorrells S, Carbonneau S, Harrington E, Chen A, Hast B, Milash B, et al. Ccdc94 protects cells from ionizing radiation by inhibiting the expression of p53. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002922 pubmed publisher..Future studies in human cancer cells will determine whether pharmacological inactivation of CCDC94 reduces the threshold of the cancer cell apoptotic response. ..
- Jimenez L, Wang J, Morrison M, Whatcott C, Soh K, Warner S, et al. Phenotypic chemical screening using a zebrafish neural crest EMT reporter identifies retinoic acid as an inhibitor of epithelial morphogenesis. Dis Model Mech. 2016;9:389-400 pubmed publisher..These studies identify TP-0903 as a new therapeutic for activating RAin vivoand raise the possibility that RA-dependent inhibition of EMT contributes to its prior success in eliminating disseminated cancer cells. ..
- Hutchinson S, Tooke Locke E, Wang J, Tsai S, Katz T, Trede N. Tbl3 regulates cell cycle length during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2012;368:261-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that tbl3 plays a tissue-specific role regulating cell cycle rate during development. ..
- Goering L, Hoshijima K, Hug B, Bisgrove B, Kispert A, Grunwald D. An interacting network of T-box genes directs gene expression and fate in the zebrafish mesoderm. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9410-5 pubmed..We propose that T-box genes, like Hox genes, often function within gene networks comprised of related family members. ..
- Meeker N, Smith A, Frazer J, Bradley D, Rudner L, Love C, et al. Characterization of the zebrafish T cell receptor beta locus. Immunogenetics. 2010;62:23-9 pubmed publisher..This description of the zebrafish TCRbeta locus has the potential to enhance immunological research in zebrafish and further our understanding of mammalian TCR repertoire generation. ..
- Rai K, Sarkar S, Broadbent T, Voas M, Grossmann K, Nadauld L, et al. DNA demethylase activity maintains intestinal cells in an undifferentiated state following loss of APC. Cell. 2010;142:930-42 pubmed publisher..Wild-type APC and retinoic acid downregulate demethylase components, thereby promoting DNA methylation of key genes and helping progenitors commit to differentiation. ..
- Kwan K, Otsuna H, Kidokoro H, Carney K, Saijoh Y, Chien C. A complex choreography of cell movements shapes the vertebrate eye. Development. 2012;139:359-72 pubmed publisher..Finally, we find that similar movements also occur during chick eye morphogenesis, suggesting that the underlying choreography is conserved among vertebrates. ..
- Jurrus E, Hardy M, Tasdizen T, Fletcher P, Koshevoy P, Chien C, et al. Axon tracking in serial block-face scanning electron microscopy. Med Image Anal. 2009;13:180-8 pubmed publisher..Validation results indicate that this algorithm can significantly speed up the task of manual axon tracking. ..
- Wang X, Lee J, Dorsky R. Identification of Wnt-responsive cells in the zebrafish hypothalamus. Zebrafish. 2009;6:49-58 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that canonical Wnt signaling may be functionally required for maintenance of neural progenitor and precursor pools in the embryo, and for ongoing neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish. ..
- Phelps R, Chidester S, Dehghanizadeh S, Phelps J, Sandoval I, Rai K, et al. A two-step model for colon adenoma initiation and progression caused by APC loss. Cell. 2009;137:623-34 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this model, human FAP adenomas showed robust upregulation of CtBP1 in the absence of detectable nuclear beta-catenin, whereas nuclear beta-catenin was detected in carcinomas. ..
- Wiles T, Norton J, Smith S, Lewis A, Mobley H, Casjens S, et al. A phyletically rare gene promotes the niche-specific fitness of an E. coli pathogen during bacteremia. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003175 pubmed publisher..In total, these findings highlight the complexity of the evolutionary forces that can affect the acquisition, utilization, and assimilation of rare genes that promote the niche-dependent fitness and virulence of a bacterial pathogen. ..
- Parant J, George S, Pryor R, Wittwer C, Yost H. A rapid and efficient method of genotyping zebrafish mutants. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:3168-74 pubmed publisher..This technique can genotype individual zebrafish embryos and adults (by tail-clip) and is applicable to other model organisms. ..
- Marshall T, Lloyd I, Delalande J, Näthke I, Rosenblatt J. The tumor suppressor adenomatous polyposis coli controls the direction in which a cell extrudes from an epithelium. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3962-70 pubmed publisher..APC disruptions that are common in colon and breast cancer may promote basal extrusion of tumor cells, which could enable their exit and subsequent migration. ..
- Son J, Keefe M, Stevenson T, Barrios J, Anjewierden S, Newton J, et al. Transgenic FingRs for Live Mapping of Synaptic Dynamics in Genetically-Defined Neurons. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18734 pubmed publisher..Using our system we show that chronic hypoxia, associated with neurological defects in preterm birth, affects dopaminergic neuron synapse number depending on the developmental timing of hypoxia. ..
- Cadwallader A, Yost H. Combinatorial expression patterns of heparan sulfate sulfotransferases in zebrafish: III. 2-O-sulfotransferase and C5-epimerases. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:581-6 pubmed..Furthermore, although 2-OST and C5-epimerase are predicted to be interdependent for protein translocation from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi, their expression is not coordinately regulated during zebrafish development. ..
- Samson S, Ferrer T, Jou C, Sachse F, Shankaran S, Shaw R, et al. 3-OST-7 regulates BMP-dependent cardiac contraction. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001727 pubmed publisher..Together these results reveal 3-OST-7 as a key component of a novel pathway that constrains BMP signaling from ventricular myocytes, coordinates sarcomere assembly, and promotes cardiac contractile function. ..
- Van Raay T, Wang Y, Stark M, Rasmussen J, Francke U, Vetter M, et al. frizzled 9 is expressed in neural precursor cells in the developing neural tube. Dev Genes Evol. 2001;211:453-7 pubmed..5, a region specified to give rise to neurons and glia. Using a polyclonal antibody to MFZ9 further shows expression limited to neural restricted precursors cells. ..
- Sato M, Yost H. Cardiac neural crest contributes to cardiomyogenesis in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2003;257:127-39 pubmed..Zebrafish will serve as a model for understanding interactions between cardiac neural crest and cardiovascular development. ..
- Bisgrove B, Snarr B, Emrazian A, Yost H. Polaris and Polycystin-2 in dorsal forerunner cells and Kupffer's vesicle are required for specification of the zebrafish left-right axis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:274-88 pubmed..Our data suggest that the functions of polaris and pkd2 in LR patterning are conserved between zebrafish and mice and that Kupffer's vesicle functions as a ciliated organ of asymmetry. ..
- Rai K, Chidester S, Zavala C, Manos E, James S, Karpf A, et al. Dnmt2 functions in the cytoplasm to promote liver, brain, and retina development in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2007;21:261-6 pubmed..Furthermore, zebrafish Dnmt2 methylates an RNA species of approximately 80 bases, consistent with tRNA methylation. Thus, Dnmt2 promotes zebrafish development, likely through cytoplasmic RNA methylation. ..
- Clark A, Yun S, Veien E, Wu Y, Chow R, Dorsky R, et al. Negative regulation of Vsx1 by its paralog Chx10/Vsx2 is conserved in the vertebrate retina. Brain Res. 2008;1192:99-113 pubmed
- Gassman A, Hao L, Bhoite L, Bradford C, Chien C, Beattie C, et al. Small molecule suppressors of Drosophila kinesin deficiency rescue motor axon development in a zebrafish model of spinal muscular atrophy. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74325 pubmed publisher..More generally, the results reinforce the perception of SMA as an axonopathy and suggest novel approaches to treating the disease. ..
- Bisgrove B, Essner J, Yost H. Regulation of midline development by antagonism of lefty and nodal signaling. Development. 1999;126:3253-62 pubmed..A model is proposed by which the vertebrate midline, and thus bilateral symmetry, is established and maintained by antagonistic interactions among co-expressed members of the lefty and nodal subfamilies of TGF-beta signaling molecules. ..
- Kwan K, Fujimoto E, Grabher C, Mangum B, Hardy M, Campbell D, et al. The Tol2kit: a multisite gateway-based construction kit for Tol2 transposon transgenesis constructs. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3088-99 pubmed..The Tol2kit greatly facilitates zebrafish transgenesis, simplifies the sharing of clones, and enables large-scale projects testing the functions of libraries of regulatory or coding sequences. ..
- Debnath I, Norton J, Barber A, Ott E, Dhakal B, Kulesus R, et al. The Cpx stress response system potentiates the fitness and virulence of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 2013;81:1450-9 pubmed publisher..Results obtained with the cpxP deletion mutants were more complicated, indicating variable strain-dependent and niche-specific requirements for this well-conserved auxiliary factor. ..
- Ridges S, Heaton W, Joshi D, Choi H, Eiring A, Batchelor L, et al. Zebrafish screen identifies novel compound with selective toxicity against leukemia. Blood. 2012;119:5621-31 pubmed publisher..Although our efforts focused on leukemia therapy, this screening approach has broad implications as it can be translated to other cancer types involving malignant degeneration of developmentally arrested cells. ..
- Nguyen T, Tran V, Sorna V, Eriksson I, Kojima A, Koketsu M, et al. Dimerized glycosaminoglycan chains increase FGF signaling during zebrafish development. ACS Chem Biol. 2013;8:939-48 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these in vivo findings, we propose a new model for GAG/FGF/FGFR interactions in which dimerized GAG chains can activate FGF-mediated signal transduction pathways. ..
- Peterson A, Wang X, Yost H. Dvr1 transfers left-right asymmetric signals from Kupffer's vesicle to lateral plate mesoderm in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;382:198-208 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Dvr1 is responsible for enabling the transfer of a left-right signal from KV to the LPM. ..
- Eisinger A, Nadauld L, Shelton D, Peterson P, Phelps R, Chidester S, et al. The adenomatous polyposis coli tumor suppressor gene regulates expression of cyclooxygenase-2 by a mechanism that involves retinoic acid. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:20474-82 pubmed
- Suli A, Mortimer N, Shepherd I, Chien C. Netrin/DCC signaling controls contralateral dendrites of octavolateralis efferent neurons. J Neurosci. 2006;26:13328-37 pubmed..This work is the first evidence that Netrin/DCC signaling acts in dendrites in a vertebrate system. ..
- Essner J, Vogan K, Wagner M, Tabin C, Yost H, Brueckner M. Conserved function for embryonic nodal cilia. Nature. 2002;418:37-8 pubmed
- Eisinger A, Nadauld L, Shelton D, Prescott S, Stafforini D, Jones D. Retinoic acid inhibits beta-catenin through suppression of Cox-2: a role for truncated adenomatous polyposis coli. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:29394-400 pubmed..This novel function of truncated Apc may provide a molecular basis for the efficacy of COX-2 inhibitors in the treatment of colon cancer. ..
- Edwards J, Greig A, Sakata Y, Elkin D, Michel W. Cholinergic innervation of the zebrafish olfactory bulb. J Comp Neurol. 2007;504:631-45 pubmed..Deafferentation of OBs did not eliminate nicotine-stimulated labeling, suggesting that cholinergic input is primarily acting on bulbar neurons. These findings confirm the presence of a functioning cholinergic system in the zebrafish OB. ..
- Wu S, Zhang H, Cairns B. Genes for embryo development are packaged in blocks of multivalent chromatin in zebrafish sperm. Genome Res. 2011;21:578-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, gene sets with particular functions in the embryo are packaged by distinctive types of complex and often atypical chromatin in sperm. ..
- Fujimoto E, Gaynes B, Brimley C, Chien C, Bonkowsky J. Gal80 intersectional regulation of cell-type specific expression in vertebrates. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2324-34 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Gal80 is a powerful addition to the genetic techniques available to map and manipulate neural circuits in zebrafish. ..
- Wang X, Kopinke D, Lin J, McPherson A, Duncan R, Otsuna H, et al. Wnt signaling regulates postembryonic hypothalamic progenitor differentiation. Dev Cell. 2012;23:624-36 pubmed publisher..This study establishes the vertebrate hypothalamus as a model for Wnt-regulated postembryonic neural progenitor differentiation and defines specific roles for Wnt signaling in neurogenesis. ..
- Frazer J, Meeker N, Rudner L, Bradley D, Smith A, Demarest B, et al. Heritable T-cell malignancy models established in a zebrafish phenotypic screen. Leukemia. 2009;23:1825-35 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have identified multiple zebrafish mutants that recapitulate human T-cell neoplasia and show heritable transmission. These vertebrate models provide new genetic platforms for the study of these important human cancers. ..
- Cusick M, Libbey J, Trede N, Eckels D, Fujinami R. Human T cell expansion and experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis inhibited by Lenaldekar, a small molecule discovered in a zebrafish screen. J Neuroimmunol. 2012;244:35-44 pubmed publisher..In testing LDK in an EAE model of MS, exacerbations were suppressed in treated animals. Therefore, LDK represents a novel therapeutic approach to T-cell-mediated autoimmune diseases. ..
- Cadwallader A, Yost H. Combinatorial expression patterns of heparan sulfate sulfotransferases in zebrafish: I. The 3-O-sulfotransferase family. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3423-31 pubmed..The 3-OST gene family has both specifically expressed and ubiquitously expressed genes, suggesting in vivo functional differences exist between members of this family. ..
- De Domenico I, Lo E, Ward D, Kaplan J. Human mutation D157G in ferroportin leads to hepcidin-independent binding of Jak2 and ferroportin down-regulation. Blood. 2010;115:2956-9 pubmed publisher..These results identify a hepcidin-independent regulation of Fpn that can result in alterations in iron homeostasis. ..
- Hug B, Walter V, Grunwald D. tbx6, a Brachyury-related gene expressed by ventral mesendodermal precursors in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 1997;183:61-73 pubmed..However, no tail appears to contribute to the maintenance of normal levels of tbx6 transcription and may be required for tbx6 transcription in the developing tail. ..
- Fricke C, Chien C. Cloning of full-length zebrafish dcc and expression analysis during embryonic and early larval development. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:732-9 pubmed..Thus, dcc may play roles not only in axon guidance, but in morphogenesis and functioning of these organs as well. ..
- Gu Y, Forostyan T, Sabbadini R, Rosenblatt J. Epithelial cell extrusion requires the sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 2 pathway. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:667-76 pubmed publisher..Because live cells can also be extruded, we predict that this S1P pathway may also be important for driving delamination of stem cells during differentiation or invasion of cancer cells...
- Xing L, Hoshijima K, Grunwald D, Fujimoto E, Quist T, Sneddon J, et al. Zebrafish foxP2 zinc finger nuclease mutant has normal axon pathfinding. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43968 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that foxP2 is not necessary for axon pathfinding during development. ..
- Duncan R, Xie Y, McPherson A, Taibi A, Bonkowsky J, Douglass A, et al. Hypothalamic radial glia function as self-renewing neural progenitors in the absence of Wnt/β-catenin signaling. Development. 2016;143:45-53 pubmed publisher..Hypothalamic radial glia in the zebrafish larva thus exhibit several key characteristics of a neural stem cell population, and our data support the idea that Wnt pathway function may not be homogeneous in all stem or progenitor cells. ..
- Hoshijima K, Metherall J, Grunwald D. A protein disulfide isomerase expressed in the embryonic midline is required for left/right asymmetries. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2518-29 pubmed
- Sato M, Tsai H, Yost H. Semaphorin3D regulates invasion of cardiac neural crest cells into the primary heart field. Dev Biol. 2006;298:12-21 pubmed..We propose that a population of sema3D-dependent neural crest cells follow a novel migratory pathway, perhaps toward nrp1A-expressing LPM, and serve as an important early source of cardiomyocytes in the primary heart field. ..
- Campbell D, Stringham S, Timm A, Xiao T, Law M, Baier H, et al. Slit1a inhibits retinal ganglion cell arborization and synaptogenesis via Robo2-dependent and -independent pathways. Neuron. 2007;55:231-45 pubmed..Unlike previous PNS studies showing that Slits promote branching, our results show that Slits inhibit arborization and synaptogenesis in the CNS. ..
- Rai K, Huggins I, James S, Karpf A, Jones D, Cairns B. DNA demethylation in zebrafish involves the coupling of a deaminase, a glycosylase, and gadd45. Cell. 2008;135:1201-12 pubmed publisher..Our results provide evidence for a coupled mechanism of 5-meC demethylation, whereby AID deaminates 5-meC, followed by thymine base excision by Mbd4, promoted by Gadd45. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Carver M, Hoshijima K, Dorsky R. Chromosomal position mediates spinal cord expression of a dbx1a enhancer. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2929-35 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, a single insertion line expressed the reporter in the endogenous pattern, indicating that other local regulatory elements modulate gene expression through the 3.5-kb enhancer. ..
- Stephens W, Senecal M, Nguyen M, Piotrowski T. Loss of adenomatous polyposis coli (apc) results in an expanded ciliary marginal zone in the zebrafish eye. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2066-77 pubmed publisher..Our results introduce the zebrafish apc mutation as a new model to study signaling pathways regulating the CMZ. ..
- Hugo S, Cruz Garcia L, Karanth S, Anderson R, Stainier D, Schlegel A. A monocarboxylate transporter required for hepatocyte secretion of ketone bodies during fasting. Genes Dev. 2012;26:282-93 pubmed publisher..Since ?-hydroxybutyrate is both a major fuel and a signaling molecule in fasting, the discovery of this transporter provides a new direction for modulating circulating levels of ketone bodies in metabolic diseases. ..
- Cadwalader E, Condic M, Yost H. 2-O-sulfotransferase regulates Wnt signaling, cell adhesion and cell cycle during zebrafish epiboly. Development. 2012;139:1296-305 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that 2-OST functions within the Wnt pathway, downstream of Wnt ligand signaling and upstream of Gsk3? and ?-catenin intracellular localization and function. ..
- Michel W, Derbidge D. Evidence of distinct amino acid and bile salt receptors in the olfactory system of the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Brain Res. 1997;764:179-87 pubmed..Presumably, the differences in the extent of partial adaptation are due to differences in the transduction cascades activated or the distribution of odorant receptors on individual olfactory receptor neurons. ..
- Amack J, Yost H. The T box transcription factor no tail in ciliated cells controls zebrafish left-right asymmetry. Curr Biol. 2004;14:685-90 pubmed
- Nadauld L, Shelton D, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. The zebrafish retinol dehydrogenase, rdh1l, is essential for intestinal development and is regulated by the tumor suppressor adenomatous polyposis coli. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30490-5 pubmed
- Lin J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Progenitor expansion in apc mutants is mediated by Jak/Stat signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:73 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that the regulation of Jak/Stat signaling may represent a conserved mechanism explaining the expansion of undifferentiated cells downstream of APC mutations. ..
- Hill J, Demarest B, Gorsi B, Smith M, Yost H. Heart morphogenesis gene regulatory networks revealed by temporal expression analysis. Development. 2017;144:3487-3498 pubmed publisher..This dataset provides an essential resource for future studies on the genetic/epigenetic pathways implicated in congenital heart defects and the mechanisms of cardiac transcriptional regulation. ..
- Strachan L, Stevenson T, Freshner B, Keefe M, Miranda Bowles D, Bonkowsky J. A zebrafish model of X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy recapitulates key disease features and demonstrates a developmental requirement for abcd1 in oligodendrocyte patterning and myelination. Hum Mol Genet. 2017;26:3600-3614 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have established a zebrafish model of ALD that recapitulates key features of human disease pathology and which reveals novel features of underlying disease pathogenesis. ..
- Bisgrove B, Raible D, Walter V, Eisen J, Grunwald D. Expression of c-ret in the zebrafish embryo: potential roles in motoneuronal development. J Neurobiol. 1997;33:749-68 pubmed..c-ret is expressed at low levels in the other primary motoneurons and also in a subset of secondary motoneurons, suggesting that it may also play a broader role in motoneuronal survival or maintenance. ..
- Dorsky R, Itoh M, Moon R, Chitnis A. Two tcf3 genes cooperate to pattern the zebrafish brain. Development. 2003;130:1937-47 pubmed..In addition, Tcf3b has a second and unique role in the morphogenesis of rhombomere boundaries, indicating that it controls multiple aspects of brain development. ..
- Park K, Urness L, Senchuk M, Colvin C, Wythe J, Chien C, et al. Identification of new netrin family members in zebrafish: developmental expression of netrin 2 and netrin 4. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:726-31 pubmed..In contrast, netrin 4 is detected only at very low levels during early development. The nonoverlapping expression patterns of these four Netrins suggest that they may play unique roles in zebrafish development. ..
- Shelton D, Sandoval I, Eisinger A, Chidester S, Ratnayake A, Ireland C, et al. Up-regulation of CYP26A1 in adenomatous polyposis coli-deficient vertebrates via a WNT-dependent mechanism: implications for intestinal cell differentiation and colon tumor development. Cancer Res. 2006;66:7571-7 pubmed..These findings support a novel role for APC in balancing retinoic acid biosynthesis and catabolism through WNT-independent and WNT-dependent mechanisms. ..