Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on vesicular transport proteins in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: vesicular transport proteins
- Bajorek M, Morita E, Skalicky J, Morham S, Babst M, Sundquist W. Biochemical analyses of human IST1 and its function in cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1360-73 pubmed publisher..In contrast, IST1 depletion did not inhibit human immunodeficiency virus-1 budding. Thus, IST1 and CHMP1 act together to recruit and modulate specific VPS4 activities required during the final stages of cell division. ..
- Radisky D, Snyder W, Emr S, Kaplan J. Characterization of VPS41, a gene required for vacuolar trafficking and high-affinity iron transport in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5662-6 pubmed
- Kaplan J, De Domenico I, Ward D. Chediak-Higashi syndrome. Curr Opin Hematol. 2008;15:22-9 pubmed..Understanding the basic mechanisms that govern vesicle trafficking will provide essential information regarding how loss of CHS1/LYST affects hematologic, immunologic and neurologic processes. ..
- Stuchell Brereton M, Skalicky J, Kieffer C, Karren M, Ghaffarian S, Sundquist W. ESCRT-III recognition by VPS4 ATPases. Nature. 2007;449:740-4 pubmed..Thus, our studies reveal how the VPS4 ATPases recognize their CHMP substrates to facilitate the membrane fission events required for the release of viruses, endosomal vesicles and daughter cells. ..
- Scott A, Chung H, Gonciarz Swiatek M, Hill G, Whitby F, Gaspar J, et al. Structural and mechanistic studies of VPS4 proteins. EMBO J. 2005;24:3658-69 pubmed
- Scott A, Gaspar J, Stuchell Brereton M, Alam S, Skalicky J, Sundquist W. Structure and ESCRT-III protein interactions of the MIT domain of human VPS4A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13813-8 pubmed
- Fisher R, Wang B, Alam S, Higginson D, Robinson H, Sundquist W, et al. Structure and ubiquitin binding of the ubiquitin-interacting motif. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:28976-84 pubmed..Although Vps27p-2 is monomeric in solution, the motif unexpectedly crystallized as an antiparallel four-helix bundle, and the potential biological implications of UIM oligomerization are therefore discussed. ..
- Fergestad T, Wu M, Schulze K, Lloyd T, Bellen H, Broadie K. Targeted mutations in the syntaxin H3 domain specifically disrupt SNARE complex function in synaptic transmission. J Neurosci. 2001;21:9142-50 pubmed..These data suggest that the same residues required for syntaxin-mediated calcium channel inhibition are required for the generation of fusion-competent vesicles in a neuronal-specific mechanism acting at synapses. ..
- Ward D, Pevsner J, Scullion M, Vaughn M, Kaplan J. Syntaxin 7 and VAMP-7 are soluble N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor attachment protein receptors required for late endosome-lysosome and homotypic lysosome fusion in alveolar macrophages. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:2327-33 pubmed
- Perou C, Moore K, Nagle D, Misumi D, Woolf E, McGrail S, et al. Identification of the murine beige gene by YAC complementation and positional cloning. Nat Genet. 1996;13:303-8 pubmed..The amino acid sequence of the Beige protein revealed a novel protein with significant amino acid homology to orphan proteins identified in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Caenorhabditis elegans and humans. ..
- Stuchell M, Garrus J, Muller B, Stray K, Ghaffarian S, McKinnon R, et al. The human endosomal sorting complex required for transport (ESCRT-I) and its role in HIV-1 budding. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36059-71 pubmed..Taken together, these experiments define new components of the human ESCRT-I complex and characterize several TSG101 protein/protein interactions required for HIV-1 budding and infectivity. ..
- Ward D, Shiflett S, Huynh D, Vaughn M, Prestwich G, Kaplan J. Use of expression constructs to dissect the functional domains of the CHS/beige protein: identification of multiple phenotypes. Traffic. 2003;4:403-15 pubmed..These results suggest that the Beige protein interacts with at least two different partners and that the Beige protein affects cellular events, such as nuclear PtdIns(4,5)P2 localization, in addition to lysosome size. ..
- Alam S, Langelier C, Whitby F, Koirala S, Robinson H, Hill C, et al. Structural basis for ubiquitin recognition by the human ESCRT-II EAP45 GLUE domain. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:1029-30 pubmed..The structure suggests how human ESCRT-II can couple recognition of ubiquitinated cargoes and endosomal phospholipids during MVB protein sorting. ..
- Ward D, Shiflett S, Kaplan J. Chediak-Higashi syndrome: a clinical and molecular view of a rare lysosomal storage disorder. Curr Mol Med. 2002;2:469-77 pubmed..The presence of the BEACH and WD40 domains defines a family of genes that encode extremely large proteins. ..
- Dimaano C, Jones C, Hanono A, Curtiss M, Babst M. Ist1 regulates Vps4 localization and assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:465-74 pubmed..The activity of the MVB pathway might be in part determined by outcome of these two competing activities. ..
- McVey Ward D, Radisky D, Scullion M, Tuttle M, Vaughn M, Kaplan J. hVPS41 is expressed in multiple isoforms and can associate with vesicles through a RING-H2 finger motif. Exp Cell Res. 2001;267:126-34 pubmed..Together with information from the homologous yeast system, these results suggest that hVps41 may also be involved in the formation and fusion of transport vesicles from the Golgi. ..
- Shestakova A, Hanono A, Drosner S, Curtiss M, Davies B, Katzmann D, et al. Assembly of the AAA ATPase Vps4 on ESCRT-III. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1059-71 pubmed publisher..Vta1 in turn is predicted to cause a rearrangement of the Vps4 interactions that initiates the assembly of the active Vps4 oligomer. ..
- Shiflett S, Vaughn M, Huynh D, Kaplan J, Ward D. Bph1p, the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of CHS1/beige, functions in cell wall formation and protein sorting. Traffic. 2004;5:700-10 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that Bph1p associates with a membrane and is involved in protein sorting and cell wall formation. ..
- Langelier C, von Schwedler U, Fisher R, De Domenico I, White P, Hill C, et al. Human ESCRT-II complex and its role in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 release. J Virol. 2006;80:9465-80 pubmed..These observations indicate that there are probably multiple pathways for protein sorting/MVB vesicle formation in human cells and that HIV-1 does not utilize an ESCRT-II-dependent pathway to leave the cell. ..
- Perou C, Leslie J, Green W, Li L, Ward D, Kaplan J. The Beige/Chediak-Higashi syndrome gene encodes a widely expressed cytosolic protein. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:29790-4 pubmed..These findings, coupled with earlier published results, suggest that the Beige protein regulates lysosomal fission. ..
- Jones T, Nikolova L, Schjelderup A, Metzstein M. Exocyst-mediated membrane trafficking is required for branch outgrowth in Drosophila tracheal terminal cells. Dev Biol. 2014;390:41-50 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest a model where exocyst mediated vesicle trafficking facilitates branch outgrowth, while de novo branching requires cooperation between the PAR and exocyst complexes. ..