Experts and Doctors on united states in Salt Lake City, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, United States
Topic: united states
- Peay W. Strategies and measures for our next century. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1999;87:1-8 pubmed..The National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) should be the facilitating agent in this process. ..
- Wolfinger N. Trends in the intergenerational transmission of divorce. Demography. 1999;36:415-20 pubmed..The rate of divorce transmission declined by almost 50% in the study period. This result was essentially unchanged by statistical controls for various personal and family background differences between respondents. ..
- Kinikini D, Sarfati M, Mueller M, Kraiss L. Meeting AHA/ACC secondary prevention goals in a vascular surgery practice: an opportunity we cannot afford to miss. J Vasc Surg. 2006;43:781-7 pubmed..A targeted effort towards risk factor modification in patients with atherosclerotic arterial disease could improve compliance with the Guideline and reduce cardiovascular mortality. ..
- Holmes E. Disability revisited. Am Fam Physician. 2003;68:175, 179-80 pubmed
- Heuser C, Gibbins K, Smid M, Branch D. Reproductive rights advocacy: not just for the family-planning community. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217:322.e1-322.e4 pubmed publisher..In this call to action, we detail several ways that individuals and the community can become more involved in working for reproductive rights. ..
- Simonsen S, Branch D, Rose N. The complexity of fetal imaging: reconciling clinical care with patient entertainment. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;112:1351-4 pubmed publisher....
- Cannon G, Keitz S, Holland G, Chang B, Byrne J, Tomolo A, et al. Factors determining medical students' and residents' satisfaction during VA-based training: findings from the VA Learners' Perceptions Survey. Acad Med. 2008;83:611-20 pubmed publisher..Factors that influence training satisfaction were similar for residents and medical students. The domain with the highest association was the learning environment; quality of care was a key item within this domain. ..
- Hunt S, Chen W, Gardner J, Kimura M, Srinivasan S, Eckfeldt J, et al. Leukocyte telomeres are longer in African Americans than in whites: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Family Heart Study and the Bogalusa Heart Study. Aging Cell. 2008;7:451-8 pubmed publisher..029 kb year(-1) vs. 0.020 kb year(-1), respectively, p = 0.0001). We suggest that racial difference in LTL arises from a host of interacting biological factors, including replication rates of hematopoietic stem cells. ..
- Simon T, Hall M, Riva Cambrin J, Albert J, Jeffries H, Lafleur B, et al. Infection rates following initial cerebrospinal fluid shunt placement across pediatric hospitals in the United States. Clinical article. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2009;4:156-65 pubmed publisher..Benchmarking and future prospective multicenter studies of CSF shunt infection will need to incorporate these and other patient, hospital, and surgeon factors. ..
- Belfort M, Clark S, Sibai B. Cerebral hemodynamics in preeclampsia: cerebral perfusion and the rationale for an alternative to magnesium sulfate. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2006;61:655-65 pubmed..This article deals with the rationale behind the use of labetalol as an alternative to magnesium sulfate for the prevention of eclampsia...
- Classen D, Metzger J. Improving medication safety: the measurement conundrum and where to start. Int J Qual Health Care. 2003;15 Suppl 1:i41-7 pubmed..This paper reviews approaches to measuring medication safety from the perspective of both harm and error, and outlines a strategy that combines both approaches in the electronic era. ..
- Bradley C, Nygaard I, Hillis S, Torner J, Sadler A. Longitudinal associations between mental health conditions and overactive bladder in women veterans. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217:430.e1-430.e8 pubmed publisher..Providers should screen for mental health conditions and sexual assault in women with newly diagnosed or persistent overactive bladder. ..
- Perri J, Nolan B, Goodney P, DeMartino R, Brooke B, Arya S, et al. Factors affecting operative time and outcome of carotid endarterectomy in the Vascular Quality Initiative. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1100-1108 pubmed publisher..Cardiac complications after CEA are associated with longer Op time, whereas technical complications are associated with a surgeon's low annual volume. ..
- Bennett T, Dewitt P, Greene T, Srivastava R, Riva Cambrin J, Nance M, et al. Functional Outcome After Intracranial Pressure Monitoring for Children With Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:965-971 pubmed publisher..Intracranial pressure (ICP) monitoring is a mainstay of therapy for children with traumatic brain injury (TBI), but its overall association with patient outcome is unclear...
- Grosse S, Waitzman N, Yang N, Abe K, Barfield W. Employer-Sponsored Plan Expenditures for Infants Born Preterm. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher....
- Shigeoka J, Stults B. Home oxygen therapy under Medicare. A primer. West J Med. 1992;156:39-44 pubmed..When home oxygen therapy is started in the hospital, the Certificate of Medical Necessity should be completed and patients should be trained to use the equipment before discharge. ..
- Anderson J, Pratt C, Waldo A, Karagounis L. Impact of the Food and Drug Administration approval of flecainide and encainide on coronary artery disease mortality: putting "Deadly Medicine" to the test. Am J Cardiol. 1997;79:43-7 pubmed..Thus, the allegations in Deadly Medicine could not be confirmed...
- Barker D, Pruchno C, Jiang X, Atkin C, Stone E, Denison J, et al. A mutation causing Alport syndrome with tardive hearing loss is common in the western United States. Am J Hum Genet. 1996;58:1157-65 pubmed..Renal failure in an L1649R male typically occurs in the 4th or 5th decade and precedes the onset of significant hearing loss by approximately 10 years...
- Genzen J, Mohlman J, Lynch J, Squires M, Weiss R. Laboratory-Developed Tests: A Legislative and Regulatory Review. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1575-1584 pubmed publisher..Future regulatory and/or legislative efforts may be required to resolve this uncertainty. ..
- Niell B, Freer P, Weinfurtner R, Arleo E, Drukteinis J. Screening for Breast Cancer. Radiol Clin North Am. 2017;55:1145-1162 pubmed publisher..By the article's end, the reader will be better equipped to have informed discussions with patients and medical professionals regarding the benefits and disadvantages of breast cancer screening...
- DeMartino R, Brooke B, Neal D, Beck A, Conrad M, Arya S, et al. Development of a validated model to predict 30-day stroke and 1-year survival after carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic stenosis using the Vascular Quality Initiative. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:433-444.e2 pubmed publisher....
- Lemmon G, Neal D, DeMartino R, Schneider J, Singh T, Kraiss L, et al. Variation in hospital costs and reimbursement for endovascular aneurysm repair: A Vascular Quality Initiative pilot project. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1073-1082 pubmed publisher..Incorporation of VQI data elements documenting EVAR case complexity into billing data may allow centers to better align respective DRG reimbursement to total costs. ..
- Adams S, Rivara M, Streja E, Cheung A, Arah O, Kalantar Zadeh K, et al. Sex Differences in Hospitalizations with Maintenance Hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:2721-2728 pubmed publisher..In this cohort, the sex differences were greatest in the younger age groups and were attenuated by accounting for differences in health status reflected by serum albumin level. ..
- Jones J, Sundwall D. Health Care Systems and National Policy: Role of Leadership in the Obesity Crisis. Prim Care. 2016;43:19-37, vii pubmed publisher..Although obesity can be addressed on an individual basis, it is largely recognized as a public health issue. ..
- Goyal M, Johnson T, Chamberlain J, Casper T, Simmons T, Alessandrini E, et al. Racial and Ethnic Differences in Antibiotic Use for Viral Illness in Emergency Departments. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Future research should seek to understand why racial and ethnic differences in overprescribing exist, including parental expectations, provider perceptions of parental expectations, and implicit provider bias. ..
- Feldkamp M, Meyer R, Krikov S, Botto L. Acetaminophen use in pregnancy and risk of birth defects: findings from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Obstet Gynecol. 2010;115:109-15 pubmed publisher..41, 95% CI 0.18-0.94). Single-ingredient-acetaminophen use during the first trimester does not appear to increase the risk of major birth defects. It may decrease the risk of selected malformations when used for a febrile illness. II. ..
- Christensen R, Henry E. Hereditary spherocytosis in neonates with hyperbilirubinemia. Pediatrics. 2010;125:120-5 pubmed publisher..We speculate that HS is underrecognized as a cause of neonatal hyperbilirubinemia. We speculate further that an MCHC of >or=36.0 g/dL can alert caregivers to the possibility of HS. ..
- Efstratiadis S, Kennard E, Kelsey S, Michaels A. Passive tobacco exposure may impair symptomatic improvement in patients with chronic angina undergoing enhanced external counterpulsation. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2008;8:23 pubmed publisher..81, 95% confidence intervals 1.16-2.83). Non-smokers with SHS exposure had an attenuated improvement in anginal symptoms compared to those without SHS following EECP. ..
- Thomas D. Special considerations for pediatric triage in the emergency department. Nurs Clin North Am. 2002;37:145-59, viii pubmed..Practice and ongoing education concerning pediatric triage should allow emergency department nurses to develop a sixth sense in recognizing and treating children and to become confident in triage decisions...
- Veltri J, Geiringer K, Richardson C, Boon R. Using community pharmacies to conduct an HSV-1 prevalence study. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2002;11:373-8 pubmed..To describe the effectiveness of community-based pharmacists in conducting a study to measure the baseline prevalence of Herpes simplex virus, type-1 susceptibility to two antiviral medications in subjects with recurrent Herpes labialis...
- Apple D, Werner L, Mamalis N, Olson R. The "demise" of diagnostic and research ocular pathology: temporary or forever?. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2003;101:127-37; discussion 137-9 pubmed..In general, full-time support for ocular pathologists will not be possible unless they seek extra support from the private sector, engage in a concurrent clinical practice, or are supported by an endowed chair (a wonderful alternative). ..
- Slattery M, Sweeney C, Murtaugh M, Ma K, Wolff R, Potter J, et al. Associations between ERalpha, ERbeta, and AR genotypes and colon and rectal cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:2936-42 pubmed..71; 95% CI, 2.89-15.6). Our results suggest that the ERbeta gene is more important than ERalpha in the etiology of colorectal cancer. ..
- Nygaard I, Barber M, Burgio K, Kenton K, Meikle S, Schaffer J, et al. Prevalence of symptomatic pelvic floor disorders in US women. JAMA. 2008;300:1311-6 pubmed publisher..No national prevalence estimates derived from the same population-based sample exists for multiple pelvic floor disorders in women in the United States...
- Kim D, Proctor P, Amos L. Disaster management and the emergency department: a framework for planning. Nurs Clin North Am. 2002;37:171-88, ix pubmed..A framework for making the necessary changes to the hospital disaster plan is presented. Examples of tools that might be useful in the planning process are also included...
- Lloyd J, Haber P, Mootrey G, Braun M, Rhodes P, Chen R. Adverse event reporting rates following tetanus-diphtheria and tetanus toxoid vaccinations: data from the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), 1991-1997. Vaccine. 2003;21:3746-50 pubmed..While reporting rates are lower after TT than Td, rates of reported VAEs after both vaccines are low. ..
- Adashi E, Ekins M, Lacoursiere Y. On the discharge of Hippocratic obligations: challenges and opportunities. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;190:885-93 pubmed
- Moskos M, Achilles J, Gray D. Adolescent suicide myths in the United States. Crisis. 2004;25:176-82 pubmed..More funding is warranted to continue evidence-based studies. We propose that suicide be studied like any medical illness, and that future prevention efforts are evidence-based, with appropriate outcome measures. ..
- Davis L, Janeway K, Weiss A, Chen Y, Scharschmidt T, Krailo M, et al. Clinical trial enrollment of adolescents and young adults with sarcoma. Cancer. 2017;123:3434-3440 pubmed publisher..To address the current deficit, this commentary outlines changes believed to be necessary to expediently achieve an increase in the enrollment of AYAs in sarcoma clinical trials. Cancer 2017;123:3434-40. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Mitchell J, Fomous C, Fun J. Challenges and strategies of the Genetics Home Reference. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:336-42 pubmed..Informatics strategies are key to effective management of a large and expanding body of genetics information. Feedback from formal and informal sources indicates increasing usage and favorable acceptance of GHR. ..
- Siebens H, Sharkey P, Aronow H, Deutscher D, Roberts P, Munin M, et al. Variation in Rehabilitation Treatment Patterns for Hip Fracture Treated With Arthroplasty. PM R. 2016;8:191-207 pubmed publisher..These results may enhance physiatrists', other physicians', and rehabilitation teams' understanding of inpatient rehabilitation for these patients and help design future comparative effectiveness research. ..
- Andy Hong P, Nakra S. Rapid extraction of sediment contaminants by pressure cycles. Chemosphere. 2009;74:1360-6 pubmed publisher....
- White K, Heikkila K, Williams R, Levin L, Lockey J, Rice C. Diacetyl exposures at four microwave popcorn plants. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2010;7:185-93 pubmed publisher..614 to 0.061 ppm. Further work at these facilities to better characterize diacetyl exposure was not possible, as substitution resulted in diacetyl being removed from the product. ..
- Bowen G, Ehleringer J, Chesson L, Thompson A, Podlesak D, Cerling T. Dietary and physiological controls on the hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios of hair from mid-20th century indigenous populations. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2009;139:494-504 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a dual role for H and O isotopic measurements of keratin, including both biological (diet, physiology) and environmental (geographic movement, paleoclimate) reconstruction...
- Holtorf A, McAdam Marx C, Schaaf D, Eng B, Oderda G. Systematic review on quality control for drug management programs: is quality reported in the literature?. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9:38 pubmed publisher..There is no defined quality standard. Benchmarks including health outcomes should be determined and used to improve the overall clinical and economic effectiveness of drug management programs. ..
- Condie C, Tyler L, Barker B, Canann D. Visual compatibility of caspofungin acetate with commonly used drugs during simulated Y-site delivery. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2008;65:454-7 pubmed publisher..Caspofungin acetate was physically compatible during Y-site injection with 23 of 31 medications tested. ..
- Cutler C, Lee J, Butman J, Fitzgibbon E, Kelly M, Brillante B, et al. Long-term outcome of optic nerve encasement and optic nerve decompression in patients with fibrous dysplasia: risk factors for blindness and safety of observation. Neurosurgery. 2006;59:1011-7; discussion 1017-8 pubmed..Uncertainty exists as to the management of FD involving the optic nerves. In an effort to clarify management, the authors studied a large population of patients...
- Feldkamp M, Reefhuis J, Kucik J, Krikov S, Wilson A, Moore C, et al. Case-control study of self reported genitourinary infections and risk of gastroschisis: findings from the national birth defects prevention study, 1997-2003. BMJ. 2008;336:1420-3 pubmed publisher..0, 95% confidence interval 1.4 to 11.6). There is a significant association between self reported urinary tract infection plus sexually transmitted infection just before conception and in early pregnancy and gastroschisis. ..
- Torgeson A, Boothe D, Poppe M, Suneja G, Gaffney D. Disparities in care for elderly women with endometrial cancer adversely effects survival. Gynecol Oncol. 2017;147:320-328 pubmed publisher..77, p<0.001). Endometrial cancer patients over age 80 have similar rates of oncologic surgery as younger women but are significantly less likely to receive adjuvant RT, and this negatively impacts their survival. ..
- Myers J, Patel D, Elliott S, Stoffel J, Welk B, Jha A, et al. Mending Gaps in Knowledge: Collaborations in Neurogenic Bladder Research. Urol Clin North Am. 2017;44:507-515 pubmed publisher....
- Bell J, Veltri J, Page B. Human Exposures to N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide insect repellents reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers 1993-1997. Int J Toxicol. 2002;21:341-52 pubmed..For the cases reported to poison control centers and included in this analysis, the risk of serious medical effects for labeled use of insect repellants containing N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide appears to be low. ..
- Bosworth L. 2002 Outstanding Science Teacher Award. Paul S. Lombardi. Health Phys. 2002;83:822-3 pubmed
- Hume B, Gabella B, Hathaway J, Proescholdbell S, Sneddon C, Brutsch E, et al. Assessment of Selected Overdose Poisoning Indicators in Health Care Administrative Data in 4 States, 2012. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:488-495 pubmed publisher..Efforts to control for factors related to administrative data, standardize data sources on a national level, and improve data source accessibility for state health departments would improve the accuracy of drug poisoning surveillance. ..
- Kucera J, Durden L, Kim K. New records of sucking lice (Phthiraptera: Anoplura) from the western United States. J Vector Ecol. 2007;32:366-70 pubmed
- Katon J, Gray K, Callegari L, Gardella C, GIBSON C, Ma E, et al. Trends in hysterectomy rates among women veterans in the US Department of Veterans Affairs. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217:428.e1-428.e11 pubmed publisher..6%, respectively. These findings suggest that gynecology care provided within Veterans Affairs has kept pace with national trends in reducing hysterectomy rates and increasing utilization of minimally invasive surgical techniques. ..
- Metz T, Allshouse A, Hogue C, Goldenberg R, Dudley D, Varner M, et al. Maternal marijuana use, adverse pregnancy outcomes, and neonatal morbidity. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217:478.e1-478.e8 pubmed publisher..91). Maternal marijuana use was not associated with a composite of small for gestational age, spontaneous preterm birth, or hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. However, it was associated with an increased risk of neonatal morbidity. ..
- Graves J, Chitnis T, Weinstock Guttman B, Rubin J, Zelikovitch A, Nourbakhsh B, et al. Maternal and Perinatal Exposures Are Associated With Risk for Pediatric-Onset Multiple Sclerosis. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..We report a new possible association of pesticide-related environmental exposures with pediatric MS that warrants further investigation and replication. ..
- Nanney M, Haire Joshu D, Brownson R, Kostelc J, Stephen M, Elliott M. Awareness and adoption of a nationally disseminated dietary curriculum. Am J Health Behav. 2007;31:64-73 pubmed..Although regional and organizational characteristics are predictors of awareness, these variables were less likely to predict adoption of such programs. ..
- Rajeev D, Staes C, Evans R, Mottice S, Rolfs R, Samore M, et al. Development of an electronic public health case report using HL7 v2.5 to meet public health needs. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010;17:34-41 pubmed publisher..The HL7 v2.5 message model is currently being implemented to transmit electronic case reports from Intermountain Healthcare to the Utah Department of Health. ..
- Chesson L, Valenzuela L, O Grady S, Cerling T, Ehleringer J. Hydrogen and oxygen stable isotope ratios of milk in the United States. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:2358-63 pubmed publisher..As an application example, milk water delta(18)O values were used to predict possible regions of origin for restaurant samples...
- Ryan M, Levine L, Colbert Getz J, Spector N, Fromme H. Advising Medical Students for the Match: A National Survey of Pediatrics Clerkship Directors. Acad Pediatr. 2015;15:374-9 pubmed publisher..The results of this study have several implications for key stakeholders in the residency selection process. ..
- Botkin J. Protecting the privacy of family members in survey and pedigree research. JAMA. 2001;285:207-11 pubmed....