Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on transcription factors in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: transcription factors
Publications239 found, 100 shown here
- Thummel C. To die or not to die--a role for Fork head. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:737-9 pubmed..This study provides new insights into the transcriptional regulation of programmed cell death and the mechanisms that underlie the precise spatial and temporal control of hormone responses during development. ..
- Drews G, Wang D, Steffen J, Schumaker K, Yadegari R. Identification of genes expressed in the angiosperm female gametophyte. J Exp Bot. 2011;62:1593-9 pubmed publisher..Here, recent efforts to identify and analyse gene expression programmes in the Arabidopsis female gametophyte are reviewed. ..
- Dohrmann P, Butler G, Tamai K, Dorland S, Greene J, Thiele D, et al. Parallel pathways of gene regulation: homologous regulators SWI5 and ACE2 differentially control transcription of HO and chitinase. Genes Dev. 1992;6:93-104 pubmed..Chimeric SWI5/ACE2 protein fusion experiments suggest that promoter specificity resides in a domain distinct from the zinc finger domain. ..
- Wu Y, Liu Y, Levine E, Rao M. Hes1 but not Hes5 regulates an astrocyte versus oligodendrocyte fate choice in glial restricted precursors. Dev Dyn. 2003;226:675-89 pubmed..Overexpression of Notch1 has an effect on gliogenesis similar to that of Hes1 and the mRNA levels of Hes1 are up-regulated in cells overexpressing Notch1, suggesting that Notch1 could be an upstream activator of Hes1. ..
- Fletcher J, Thummel C. The ecdysone-inducible Broad-complex and E74 early genes interact to regulate target gene transcription and Drosophila metamorphosis. Genetics. 1995;141:1025-35 pubmed..This data is consistent with current models which propose that combinations of ecdysone primary-response genes regulate common morphogenetic pathways during insect metamorphosis. ..
- Kasten M, Stillman D. Identification of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae genes STB1-STB5 encoding Sin3p binding proteins. Mol Gen Genet. 1997;256:376-86 pubmed..We have shown previously that Sin3p is part of a large multiprotein complex, and we show here that Stb1p and Stb2p are present in this complex. ..
- Godwin A, Stadler H, Nakamura K, Capecchi M. Detection of targeted GFP-Hox gene fusions during mouse embryogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13042-7 pubmed..GFP expression in the foregut pocket of Hoxa1(GFPneo) embryos suggests a role for Hoxa1 in foregut-mediated differentiation of the cardiogenic mesoderm. ..
- Morita E, Sandrin V, Chung H, Morham S, Gygi S, Rodesch C, et al. Human ESCRT and ALIX proteins interact with proteins of the midbody and function in cytokinesis. EMBO J. 2007;26:4215-27 pubmed..These experiments suggest that the ESCRT pathway may be recruited to facilitate analogous membrane fission events during HIV budding, MVB vesicle formation, and the abscission stage of cytokinesis. ..
- Takahata S, Yu Y, Stillman D. FACT and Asf1 regulate nucleosome dynamics and coactivator binding at the HO promoter. Mol Cell. 2009;34:405-15 pubmed publisher..The Swi/Snf, SAGA, and Mediator coactivators bind first to the far upstream promoter region and subsequently to a promoter proximal region, and FACT and Asf1 are both required for this coactivator re-recruitment. ..
- Makki N, Capecchi M. Cardiovascular defects in a mouse model of HOXA1 syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:26-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data allow us to suggest a model in which Hoxa1 regulates heart development through its influence on cardiac NCCs, providing insight into the mechanisms underlying the human disease. ..
- Sbia M, Parnell E, Yu Y, Olsen A, Kretschmann K, Voth W, et al. Regulation of the yeast Ace2 transcription factor during the cell cycle. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11135-45 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that the precise timing of Ace2 accumulation in the nucleus involves both a nuclear export sequence and a nuclear localization signal, whose activities are regulated by phosphorylation. ..
- Hollenhorst P, Chandler K, Poulsen R, Johnson W, Speck N, Graves B. DNA specificity determinants associate with distinct transcription factor functions. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000778 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that diversity of DNA binding motifs may enable variable transcription factor function at different genomic sites. ..
- Rai K, Sarkar S, Broadbent T, Voas M, Grossmann K, Nadauld L, et al. DNA demethylase activity maintains intestinal cells in an undifferentiated state following loss of APC. Cell. 2010;142:930-42 pubmed publisher..Wild-type APC and retinoic acid downregulate demethylase components, thereby promoting DNA methylation of key genes and helping progenitors commit to differentiation. ..
- Brazas R, Bhoite L, Murphy M, Yu Y, Chen Y, Neklason D, et al. Determining the requirements for cooperative DNA binding by Swi5p and Pho2p (Grf10p/Bas2p) at the HO promoter. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:29151-61 pubmed..The mechanism of the cooperative DNA binding by Swi5p and Pho2p is discussed. ..
- Branford W, Yost H. Lefty-dependent inhibition of Nodal- and Wnt-responsive organizer gene expression is essential for normal gastrulation. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2136-41 pubmed..We hypothesize that Xlefty negatively regulates the spatial extent of Nodal- and Wnt-responsive gene expression in the organizer and that this Xlefty-dependent inhibition is essential for normal organizer patterning and gastrulation...
- Coon H, Xin Y, Hopkins P, Cawthon R, Hasstedt S, Hunt S. Upstream stimulatory factor 1 associated with familial combined hyperlipidemia, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides. Hum Genet. 2005;117:444-51 pubmed..This study replicates the involvement of USF1 in FCHL and related lipid traits in a family sample not ascertained for FCHL. ..
- Han P, Li W, Yang J, Shang C, Lin C, Cheng W, et al. Epigenetic response to environmental stress: Assembly of BRG1-G9a/GLP-DNMT3 repressive chromatin complex on Myh6 promoter in pathologically stressed hearts. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1863:1772-81 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Cardiomyocyte Biology: Integration of Developmental and Environmental Cues in the Heart edited by Marcus Schaub and Hughes Abriel. ..
- Wang X, Lee J, Dorsky R. Identification of Wnt-responsive cells in the zebrafish hypothalamus. Zebrafish. 2009;6:49-58 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that canonical Wnt signaling may be functionally required for maintenance of neural progenitor and precursor pools in the embryo, and for ongoing neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish. ..
- Liu J, Welm B, Boucher K, Ebbert M, Bernard P. TRIM29 functions as a tumor suppressor in nontumorigenic breast cells and invasive ER+ breast cancer. Am J Pathol. 2012;180:839-47 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that loss of TRIM29 expression in normal breast luminal cells can contribute to malignant transformation and lead to progression of ER+ breast cancer in premenopausal women. ..
- Briona L, Dorsky R. Radial glial progenitors repair the zebrafish spinal cord following transection. Exp Neurol. 2014;256:81-92 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that dbx1a:GFP(+) radial glia may be stem cells for the regeneration of interneurons following spinal cord injury in zebrafish. ..
- Voth W, Yu Y, Takahata S, Kretschmann K, Lieb J, Parker R, et al. Forkhead proteins control the outcome of transcription factor binding by antiactivation. EMBO J. 2007;26:4324-34 pubmed..Thus Fkh proteins, which function initially to activate SWI5 and ACE2, subsequently function as Swi5-specific antiactivators. ..
- Liberek K, Galitski T, Zylicz M, Georgopoulos C. The DnaK chaperone modulates the heat shock response of Escherichia coli by binding to the sigma 32 transcription factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:3516-20 pubmed..Consistent with the fact that dnaK756 mutant bacteria overexpress heat shock proteins at all temperatures, purified DnaK756 mutant protein did not appreciably bind to sigma 32. ..
- Crisp R, Adkins E, Kimmel E, Kaplan J. Recruitment of Tup1p and Cti6p regulates heme-deficient expression of Aft1p target genes. EMBO J. 2006;25:512-21 pubmed..We hypothesize that transcription of the siderophore transporter ARN1 permits yeast to accumulate iron in the absence of oxygen and to deny iron to competing organisms. ..
- McIntyre T, Pontsler A, Silva A, St Hilaire A, Xu Y, Hinshaw J, et al. Identification of an intracellular receptor for lysophosphatidic acid (LPA): LPA is a transcellular PPARgamma agonist. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:131-6 pubmed..Moreover, LPA produced by stimulated plasma platelets activates PPARgamma in nucleated cells. ..
- Thyagarajan B, Blaszczak A, Chandler K, Watts J, Johnson W, Graves B. ETS-4 is a transcriptional regulator of life span in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001125 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ETS-4 is a new transcriptional regulator of aging, which shares transcriptional targets with GATA and FOXO factors, suggesting that overlapping pathways direct common sets of lifespan-related genes. ..
- Formosa T, Eriksson P, Wittmeyer J, Ginn J, Yu Y, Stillman D. Spt16-Pob3 and the HMG protein Nhp6 combine to form the nucleosome-binding factor SPN. EMBO J. 2001;20:3506-17 pubmed..These complexes have altered electrophoretic mobility and a distinct pattern of enhanced sensitivity to DNase I. These results suggest that Spt16-Pob3 and Nhp6 cooperate to function as a novel nucleosome reorganizing factor. ..
- Biswas D, Yu Y, Mitra D, Stillman D. Genetic interactions between Nhp6 and Gcn5 with Mot1 and the Ccr4-Not complex that regulate binding of TATA-binding protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2006;172:837-49 pubmed..Chromatin immunoprecipitation experiments show decreased binding of TBP to promoters in mot1 mutants and a further decrease when combined with either nhp6ab or gcn5 mutations. ..
- Kinsey M, Smith R, Lessnick S. NR0B1 is required for the oncogenic phenotype mediated by EWS/FLI in Ewing's sarcoma. Mol Cancer Res. 2006;4:851-9 pubmed..These studies define a new role for NR0B1 in oncogenic transformation and emphasize the utility of analyzing the function of EWS/FLI in Ewing's sarcoma cells. ..
- Appel B, Sakonju S. Cell-type-specific mechanisms of transcriptional repression by the homeotic gene products UBX and ABD-A in Drosophila embryos. EMBO J. 1993;12:1099-109 pubmed..The latter mechanism of repression requires only that multiple homeodomain binding sequences be present and is not dependent on any particular binding site. ..
- Angus Hill M, Schlichter A, Roberts D, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, Cairns B. A Rsc3/Rsc30 zinc cluster dimer reveals novel roles for the chromatin remodeler RSC in gene expression and cell cycle control. Mol Cell. 2001;7:741-51 pubmed..We propose that Rsc3 and Rsc30 interact physically but have different roles in targeting or regulating RSC. ..
- D Avino P, Thummel C. The ecdysone regulatory pathway controls wing morphogenesis and integrin expression during Drosophila metamorphosis. Dev Biol. 2000;220:211-24 pubmed..We also propose that ecdysone modulation of integrin expression might be widely used to control multiple aspects of adult development. ..
- Daynes R, Enioutina E, Jones D. Role of redox imbalance in the molecular mechanisms responsible for immunosenescence. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2003;5:537-48 pubmed
- Currie S, Lau D, Doane J, Whitby F, Okon M, McIntosh L, et al. Structured and disordered regions cooperatively mediate DNA-binding autoinhibition of ETS factors ETV1, ETV4 and ETV5. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:2223-2241 pubmed publisher..These distinguishing inhibitory elements provide a platform through which cellular triggers, such as protein-protein interactions or post-translational modifications, may specifically regulate the function of these oncogenic proteins. ..
- Dameron C, Winge D, George G, Sansone M, Hu S, Hamer D. A copper-thiolate polynuclear cluster in the ACE1 transcription factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:6127-31 pubmed..The Cu cluster organizes and stabilizes the conformation of the N-terminal domain of ACE1 for specific DNA binding. ..
- Kraiss L, Weyrich A, Alto N, Dixon D, Ennis T, Modur V, et al. Fluid flow activates a regulator of translation, p70/p85 S6 kinase, in human endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;278:H1537-44 pubmed..Transcriptional blockade did not abolish the flow-induced upregulation of Bcl-3. Fluid forces may therefore modify endothelial phenotype by specifically regulating translation of certain mRNA transcripts into protein...
- Billin A, Thirlwell H, Ayer D. Beta-catenin-histone deacetylase interactions regulate the transition of LEF1 from a transcriptional repressor to an activator. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:6882-90 pubmed..Second, once HDAC1-dependent repression has been overridden, beta-catenin binds LEF1 and the beta-catenin-LEF1 complex is competent to activate the expression of downstream target genes. ..
- Khalimonchuk O, Bestwick M, Meunier B, Watts T, Winge D. Formation of the redox cofactor centers during Cox1 maturation in yeast cytochrome oxidase. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1004-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, formation of the heterobimetallic Cu(B):heme a(3) site likely occurs in the Shy1-containing Cox1 complex. ..
- Riehle C, Abel E. PGC-1 proteins and heart failure. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2012;22:98-105 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the regulation of PGC-1 proteins under conditions of pressure overload hypertrophy and heart failure. ..
- Hug B, Walter V, Grunwald D. tbx6, a Brachyury-related gene expressed by ventral mesendodermal precursors in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 1997;183:61-73 pubmed..However, no tail appears to contribute to the maintenance of normal levels of tbx6 transcription and may be required for tbx6 transcription in the developing tail. ..
- Gangwal K, Sankar S, Hollenhorst P, Kinsey M, Haroldsen S, Shah A, et al. Microsatellites as EWS/FLI response elements in Ewing's sarcoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:10149-54 pubmed publisher..These findings illustrate an unprecedented route to specificity for ETS proteins and use of microsatellites in tumorigenesis. ..
- Weyrich A, Dixon D, Pabla R, Elstad M, McIntyre T, Prescott S, et al. Signal-dependent translation of a regulatory protein, Bcl-3, in activated human platelets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:5556-61 pubmed..Taken together, these data demonstrate that regulated synthesis of proteins is a signal-dependent activation response of human platelets. ..
- Fu Q, McKnight R, Yu X, Wang L, Callaway C, Lane R. Uteroplacental insufficiency induces site-specific changes in histone H3 covalent modifications and affects DNA-histone H3 positioning in day 0 IUGR rat liver. Physiol Genomics. 2004;20:108-16 pubmed..We speculate that in utero alterations of chromatin structure contribute to fetal programming. ..
- VanDemark A, Xin H, McCullough L, Rawlins R, Bentley S, Heroux A, et al. Structural and functional analysis of the Spt16p N-terminal domain reveals overlapping roles of yFACT subunits. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:5058-68 pubmed..The docking domain of H2A is identified as an important participant in maintaining stability during yFACT-mediated nucleosome reorganization, suggesting new models for the mechanism of this activity. ..
- McBride H, Brazas R, Yu Y, Nasmyth K, Stillman D. Long-range interactions at the HO promoter. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2669-78 pubmed
- Stronach B, Renfranz P, Lilly B, Beckerle M. Muscle LIM proteins are associated with muscle sarcomeres and require dMEF2 for their expression during Drosophila myogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:2329-42 pubmed..Furthermore, our results are consistent with a structural role for Mlps as components of muscle cytoarchitecture. ..
- Li D, Verma D, Swaminathan S. Binding of cellular export factor REF/Aly by Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) ORF57 protein is not required for efficient KSHV lytic replication. J Virol. 2012;86:9866-74 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that REF/Aly-ORF57 interaction is not essential for KSHV lytic replication but may contribute to target RNA stability independent of effects on RNA export, suggesting a novel role for REF/Aly in viral RNA metabolism. ..
- Keller C, Arenkiel B, Coffin C, El Bardeesy N, Depinho R, Capecchi M. Alveolar rhabdomyosarcomas in conditional Pax3:Fkhr mice: cooperativity of Ink4a/ARF and Trp53 loss of function. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2614-26 pubmed
- Wong A, Shanahan F, Chen Y, Lian L, Ha P, Hendricks K, et al. BRG1, a component of the SWI-SNF complex, is mutated in multiple human tumor cell lines. Cancer Res. 2000;60:6171-7 pubmed..It will be important to confirm these observations in primary tumors. ..
- Rutherford J, Jaron S, Ray E, Brown P, Winge D. A second iron-regulatory system in yeast independent of Aft1p. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:14322-7 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that yeast has a second regulatory pathway for the iron regulon, with AFT1 and AFT2 playing partially redundant roles. ..
- Wang L, Lam G, Thummel C. Med24 and Mdh2 are required for Drosophila larval salivary gland cell death. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:954-64 pubmed publisher..This study identifies novel mechanisms for controlling the destruction of larval tissues during Drosophila metamorphosis and provides new directions for our understanding of steroid-triggered programmed cell death. ..
- Brazas R, Stillman D. The Swi5 zinc-finger and Grf10 homeodomain proteins bind DNA cooperatively at the yeast HO promoter. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:11237-41 pubmed..Finally, we show that HO expression is reduced in yeast strains containing grf10 null mutations and that full expression of a heterologous promoter containing a SWI5-dependent HO upstream activation sequence element requires GRF10. ..
- Pontsler A, St Hilaire A, Marathe G, Zimmerman G, McIntyre T. Cyclooxygenase-2 is induced in monocytes by peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma and oxidized alkyl phospholipids from oxidized low density lipoprotein. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13029-36 pubmed..Cyclooxygenase-2 and PGE(2) secretion are induced, not inhibited, by selective PPARgamma agonists that include oxidatively fragmented phospholipids in oxidized LDL. ..
- Roberts D, Wilson B, Huff J, Stewart A, Cairns B. Dephosphorylation and genome-wide association of Maf1 with Pol III-transcribed genes during repression. Mol Cell. 2006;22:633-44 pubmed
- Zhang A, Jia Z, Guo X, Yang T. Aldosterone induces epithelial-mesenchymal transition via ROS of mitochondrial origin. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F723-31 pubmed..These observations suggest that Aldo induces EMT via MR-mediated, mitochondrial-originated, ROS-dependent ERK1/2 activation in renal tubular epithelial cells. ..
- Wu Y, Wang G, Scott S, Capecchi M. Hoxc10 and Hoxd10 regulate mouse columnar, divisional and motor pool identity of lumbar motoneurons. Development. 2008;135:171-82 pubmed..Together, these results show that Hoxc10 and Hoxd10 play key roles in establishing lumbar motoneuron columnar, divisional and motor pool identity. ..
- Yun S, Saijoh Y, Hirokawa K, Kopinke D, Murtaugh L, Monuki E, et al. Lhx2 links the intrinsic and extrinsic factors that control optic cup formation. Development. 2009;136:3895-906 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which Lhx2 is a central link in a genetic network that coordinates the multiple pathways leading to optic cup formation. ..
- Karim F, Thummel C. Ecdysone coordinates the timing and amounts of E74A and E74B transcription in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1991;5:1067-79 pubmed
- Thummel C. Puffs and gene regulation--molecular insights into the Drosophila ecdysone regulatory hierarchy. Bioessays. 1990;12:561-8 pubmed..Proteins encoded by two of the early genes bind to both early and late ecdysone-induced puffs, implying that they are key regulators in the hierarchy. ..
- Bhoite L, Yu Y, Stillman D. The Swi5 activator recruits the Mediator complex to the HO promoter without RNA polymerase II. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2457-69 pubmed..5 kb upstream of the transcription start site in early G1, but this binding occurs without RNA Pol II. RNA Pol II does not bind to HO until late G1, when HO is actively transcribed, and binding occurs exclusively to the TATA region. ..
- Eide E, Woolf M, Kang H, Woolf P, Hurst W, Camacho F, et al. Control of mammalian circadian rhythm by CKIepsilon-regulated proteasome-mediated PER2 degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:2795-807 pubmed..Cell culture-based biochemical assays combined with measurement of cell-based rhythm complement genetic studies to elucidate basic mechanisms controlling the mammalian clock. ..
- Mitra D, Parnell E, Landon J, Yu Y, Stillman D. SWI/SNF binding to the HO promoter requires histone acetylation and stimulates TATA-binding protein recruitment. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:4095-110 pubmed..We have detected SWI/SNF binding at the HO TATA region, and our results suggest that SWI/SNF, either directly or indirectly, facilitates TBP binding at HO. ..
- Mauch T, Yang G, Wright M, Smith D, Schoenwolf G. Signals from trunk paraxial mesoderm induce pronephros formation in chick intermediate mesoderm. Dev Biol. 2000;220:62-75 pubmed..Studies to identify the molecular nature of the induction are in progress...
- Jiang C, Lamblin A, Steller H, Thummel C. A steroid-triggered transcriptional hierarchy controls salivary gland cell death during Drosophila metamorphosis. Mol Cell. 2000;5:445-55 pubmed..This study identifies transcriptional regulators of programmed cell death in Drosophila and provides a direct link between a steroid signal and a programmed cell death response. ..
- Kasahara R, Portereiko M, Sandaklie Nikolova L, Rabiger D, Drews G. MYB98 is required for pollen tube guidance and synergid cell differentiation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2005;17:2981-92 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that MYB98 controls the development of specific features within the synergid cell during female gametophyte development. ..
- Hale J, Dahlem T, Margraf R, Debnath I, Weis J, Weis J. Transcriptional control of Pactolus: evidence of a negative control region and comparison with its evolutionary paralogue, CD18 (beta2 integrin). J Leukoc Biol. 2006;80:383-98 pubmed..1/DNA trimeric complex. These data implicate Smuc as blocking Pactolus transcription in cells expressing PU.1 (and CD18) but not Pactolus. ..
- Lee J, Wu S, Goering L, Dorsky R. Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesis. Development. 2006;133:4451-61 pubmed..The conserved presence of this pathway in other vertebrates suggests a common mechanism for regulating hypothalamic neurogenesis. ..
- Pierrel F, Bestwick M, Cobine P, Khalimonchuk O, Cricco J, Winge D. Coa1 links the Mss51 post-translational function to Cox1 cofactor insertion in cytochrome c oxidase assembly. EMBO J. 2007;26:4335-46 pubmed..coa1Delta cells also display a mitochondrial copper defect suggesting that Coa1 may have a direct link to copper metallation of CcO. ..
- Economides K, Capecchi M. Hoxb13 is required for normal differentiation and secretory function of the ventral prostate. Development. 2003;130:2061-9 pubmed
- Zabel M, Wheeler W, Weis J, Weis J. Yin Yang 1, Oct1, and NFAT-4 form repeating, cyclosporin-sensitive regulatory modules within the murine CD21 intronic control region. J Immunol. 2002;168:3341-50 pubmed
- Smith P, Mango S. Role of T-box gene tbx-2 for anterior foregut muscle development in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2007;302:25-39 pubmed..Our analysis suggests that a positive feedback loop between tbx-2 and pha-4 is required for ABa-derived precursors to commit to pharyngeal muscle fate. ..
- Christensen S, Martin B, Tan S, Weis J. Identification of sites for distinct DNA binding proteins including Oct-1 and Oct-2 in the Cr2 gene. J Immunol. 1992;148:3610-7 pubmed..This suggests that the Oct-2 protein directly controls the transcriptional activity of the Cr2 gene and that during such an infection, the levels of Ag receptors on B cells (Ig and complement receptors) are diminished. ..
- Rancourt D, Tsuzuki T, Capecchi M. Genetic interaction between hoxb-5 and hoxb-6 is revealed by nonallelic noncomplementation. Genes Dev. 1995;9:108-22 pubmed..This phenomenon is termed nonallelic noncomplementation and suggests that these two genes function together to specify this region of the mammalian vertebral column. ..
- Jensen L, Posewitz M, Srinivasan C, Winge D. Mapping of the DNA binding domain of the copper-responsive transcription factor Mac1 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:23805-11 pubmed..The elements appear to function synergistically. Increasing the number of elements yields more than additive enhancements in CTR1 expression. ..
- Kofoid E, Rappleye C, Stojiljkovic I, Roth J. The 17-gene ethanolamine (eut) operon of Salmonella typhimurium encodes five homologues of carboxysome shell proteins. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:5317-29 pubmed..The presence of these homologues in the eut operon of Salmonella suggests that CO2 fixation may be a feature of ethanolamine catabolism in Salmonella...
- Billin A, Eilers A, Queva C, Ayer D. Mlx, a novel Max-like BHLHZip protein that interacts with the Max network of transcription factors. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:36344-50 pubmed..In contrast with Max, Mlx interacts only with Mad1 and Mad4. Together, these findings suggest that Mlx may act to diversify Mad family function by its restricted association with a subset of the Mad family of transcriptional repressors. ..
- Pornillos O, Alam S, Rich R, Myszka D, Davis D, Sundquist W. Structure and functional interactions of the Tsg101 UEV domain. EMBO J. 2002;21:2397-406 pubmed..These studies provide a structural framework for understanding how Tsg101 mediates the protein-protein interactions required for HIV budding and VPS. ..
- Fujimoto E, Gaynes B, Brimley C, Chien C, Bonkowsky J. Gal80 intersectional regulation of cell-type specific expression in vertebrates. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2324-34 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Gal80 is a powerful addition to the genetic techniques available to map and manipulate neural circuits in zebrafish. ..
- Romney S, Newman B, Thacker C, Leibold E. HIF-1 regulates iron homeostasis in Caenorhabditis elegans by activation and inhibition of genes involved in iron uptake and storage. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002394 pubmed publisher..These data show that HIF-1 regulates intestinal iron homeostasis during iron deficiency by activating and inhibiting genes involved in iron uptake and storage. ..
- Buck Koehntop B, Defossez P. On how mammalian transcription factors recognize methylated DNA. Epigenetics. 2013;8:131-7 pubmed publisher..These fresh insights have consequences for the analysis of the many other zinc finger proteins present in the genome, and for the biology of methyl-CpG binding zinc finger proteins. ..
- Schubert H, Wittmeyer J, Kasten M, Hinata K, Rawling D, Heroux A, et al. Structure of an actin-related subcomplex of the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeler. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3345-50 pubmed publisher..Thus, our structure provides a foundation for developing models of remodeler function, including mechanisms of coupling between ARPs and the ATPase translocation activity. ..
- Wang C, Stewart R, Kopecek J. Hybrid hydrogels assembled from synthetic polymers and coiled-coil protein domains. Nature. 1999;397:417-20 pubmed..This system shows that well-characterized water-soluble synthetic polymers can be combined with well-defined folding motifs of proteins in hydrogels with engineered volume-change properties. ..
- Sundquist W, Schubert H, Kelly B, Hill G, Holton J, Hill C. Ubiquitin recognition by the human TSG101 protein. Mol Cell. 2004;13:783-9 pubmed
- Park E, Ogden L, Talbot A, Evans S, Cai C, Black B, et al. Required, tissue-specific roles for Fgf8 in outflow tract formation and remodeling. Development. 2006;133:2419-33 pubmed..These findings provide a novel insight into how the formation and remodeling of primary and anterior heart field-derived structures rely on Fgf8 signals from discrete temporospatial domains. ..
- Neugebauer J, Cadwallader A, Amack J, Bisgrove B, Yost H. Differential roles for 3-OSTs in the regulation of cilia length and motility. Development. 2013;140:3892-902 pubmed publisher..We propose that individual 3-OST isozymes create distinct modified domains or 'glycocodes' on cell surface proteoglycans, which in turn regulate the response to diverse cell signaling pathways. ..
- Fletcher J, Burtis K, Hogness D, Thummel C. The Drosophila E74 gene is required for metamorphosis and plays a role in the polytene chromosome puffing response to ecdysone. Development. 1995;121:1455-65 pubmed..They also demonstrate that E74 plays a wide role in reshaping the insect during metamorphosis, affecting tissues other than the salivary gland in which it was originally identified. ..
- Lam G, Jiang C, Thummel C. Coordination of larval and prepupal gene expression by the DHR3 orphan receptor during Drosophila metamorphosis. Development. 1997;124:1757-69 pubmed
- Zou C, Levine E. Vsx2 controls eye organogenesis and retinal progenitor identity via homeodomain and non-homeodomain residues required for high affinity DNA binding. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002924 pubmed publisher..Finally, the genetic and phenotypic behaviors of the CVC mutation suggest it has the characteristics of a recessive neomorph, a rare type of genetic allele. ..
- Ruaud A, Lam G, Thummel C. The Drosophila nuclear receptors DHR3 and betaFTZ-F1 control overlapping developmental responses in late embryos. Development. 2010;137:123-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies define the lethal phenotypes of DHR3 and betaFTZ-F1 mutants, and provide evidence for functional bifurcation in the 20E-responsive transcriptional cascade. ..
- Saha A, Wittmeyer J, Cairns B. Chromatin remodeling by RSC involves ATP-dependent DNA translocation. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2120-34 pubmed..Nucleosomes bearing nicks are remodeled less efficiently than intact nucleosomes. These results suggest that RSC and Sth1 are DNA translocases that use both DNA translocation and twist to remodel nucleosomes efficiently. ..