Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on spinal cord in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: spinal cord
- Zukor K, Kent D, Odelberg S. Fluorescent whole-mount method for visualizing three-dimensional relationships in intact and regenerating adult newt spinal cords. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3048-57 pubmed publisher..These methods should also be widely applicable to the study of other newt tissues and adult tissues from other model systems...
- Keller Peck C, Mullen R. Altered cell proliferation in the spinal cord of mouse neural tube mutants curly tail and Pax3 splotch-delayed. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 1997;102:177-88 pubmed..Several possible explanations for this phenomenon are considered, including the hypothesis that the roof plate, or other factors induced by neural tube closure, might have an anti-mitotic activity. ..
- Zollinger L, Kim T, Hill K, Jeong E, Rose J. Using diffusion tensor imaging and immunofluorescent assay to evaluate the pathology of multiple sclerosis. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2011;33:557-64 pubmed publisher..Aberrant ?l, ?r, and FA relative to normal values are strong indicators of demyelination. DTI indices are not specific for axon loss. IFA analysis is a reliable method to demonstrate myelin and axon pathology within the ex vivo setting. ..
- Wu Y, Wang G, Scott S, Capecchi M. Hoxc10 and Hoxd10 regulate mouse columnar, divisional and motor pool identity of lumbar motoneurons. Development. 2008;135:171-82 pubmed..Together, these results show that Hoxc10 and Hoxd10 play key roles in establishing lumbar motoneuron columnar, divisional and motor pool identity. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Dorsky R. Regulation and function of Dbx genes in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3472-83 pubmed..Our data confirm that the dbx1a/1b/2 domain in zebrafish spinal cord development behaves similarly to amniotes, while extending knowledge of Dbx1 function in spinal cord patterning. ..
- Wu S, Wu Y, Capecchi M. Motoneurons and oligodendrocytes are sequentially generated from neural stem cells but do not appear to share common lineage-restricted progenitors in vivo. Development. 2006;133:581-90 pubmed..The data presented herein supports a sequential model in which motoneuron and oligodendrocyte precursors are sequentially generated in vivo from neuroepithelial stem cells, but do not share a common lineage-restricted progenitor. ..
- Wang G, Scott S. An early broad competence of motoneurons to express ER81 is later sculpted by the periphery. J Neurosci. 2004;24:9789-98 pubmed
- Economides K, Zeltser L, Capecchi M. Hoxb13 mutations cause overgrowth of caudal spinal cord and tail vertebrae. Dev Biol. 2003;256:317-30 pubmed..This analysis of Hoxb13 function suggests that this 5' Hox gene may act as an inhibitor of neuronal cell proliferation, an activator of apoptotic pathways in the SNT, and as a general repressor of growth in the caudal vertebrae. ..
- Herrera J, Yang H, Zhang S, Proschel C, Tresco P, Duncan I, et al. Embryonic-derived glial-restricted precursor cells (GRP cells) can differentiate into astrocytes and oligodendrocytes in vivo. Exp Neurol. 2001;171:11-21 pubmed
- Bisgrove B, Raible D, Walter V, Eisen J, Grunwald D. Expression of c-ret in the zebrafish embryo: potential roles in motoneuronal development. J Neurobiol. 1997;33:749-68 pubmed..c-ret is expressed at low levels in the other primary motoneurons and also in a subset of secondary motoneurons, suggesting that it may also play a broader role in motoneuronal survival or maintenance. ..
- Bonner J, Gribble S, Veien E, Nikolaus O, Weidinger G, Dorsky R. Proliferation and patterning are mediated independently in the dorsal spinal cord downstream of canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Biol. 2008;313:398-407 pubmed..Together, our work demonstrates that proliferation and patterning in the developing spinal cord are separable events that are regulated independently by Wnt signaling. ..
- Gribble S, Kim H, Bonner J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Tcf3 inhibits spinal cord neurogenesis by regulating sox4a expression. Development. 2009;136:781-9 pubmed publisher..Both of these functions are mediated by Tcf3 independently of canonical Wnt signaling. Together, our data indicate a novel mechanism for the regulation of neurogenesis by Tcf3-mediated repression. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Carver M, Hoshijima K, Dorsky R. Chromosomal position mediates spinal cord expression of a dbx1a enhancer. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2929-35 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, a single insertion line expressed the reporter in the endogenous pattern, indicating that other local regulatory elements modulate gene expression through the 3.5-kb enhancer. ..
- Carlson N, Rojas M, Redd J, Tang P, Wood B, Hill K, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in oligodendrocytes increases sensitivity to excitotoxic death. J Neuroinflammation. 2010;7:25 pubmed publisher..An understanding of how COX-2 expression influences oligodendrocyte death leading to demyelination may have important ramifications for future treatments for MS...
- Chen S, Tvrdik P, Peden E, Cho S, Wu S, Spangrude G, et al. Hematopoietic origin of pathological grooming in Hoxb8 mutant mice. Cell. 2010;141:775-85 pubmed publisher..Immunological dysfunctions have been associated with neuropsychiatric disorders, but the causative relationships are unclear. In this mouse, a distinct compulsive behavioral disorder is associated with mutant microglia. ..
- Kurtz C, Sun X, Fujinami R. Protection of SJL/J mice from demyelinating disease mediated by Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus. Microb Pathog. 1995;18:11-27 pubmed
- Gassman A, Hao L, Bhoite L, Bradford C, Chien C, Beattie C, et al. Small molecule suppressors of Drosophila kinesin deficiency rescue motor axon development in a zebrafish model of spinal muscular atrophy. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74325 pubmed publisher..More generally, the results reinforce the perception of SMA as an axonopathy and suggest novel approaches to treating the disease. ..
- Briona L, Dorsky R. Radial glial progenitors repair the zebrafish spinal cord following transection. Exp Neurol. 2014;256:81-92 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that dbx1a:GFP(+) radial glia may be stem cells for the regeneration of interneurons following spinal cord injury in zebrafish. ..
- Wu Y, Liu Y, Levine E, Rao M. Hes1 but not Hes5 regulates an astrocyte versus oligodendrocyte fate choice in glial restricted precursors. Dev Dyn. 2003;226:675-89 pubmed..Overexpression of Notch1 has an effect on gliogenesis similar to that of Hes1 and the mRNA levels of Hes1 are up-regulated in cells overexpressing Notch1, suggesting that Notch1 could be an upstream activator of Hes1. ..
- Kim H, Dorsky R. Tcf7l1 is required for spinal cord progenitor maintenance. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2256-64 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that Tcf7l1 plays an important role in spinal cord progenitor maintenance, indicating that this core function is conserved throughout multiple epithelial cell populations. ..