Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on pupa in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
- Lam G, Jiang C, Thummel C. Coordination of larval and prepupal gene expression by the DHR3 orphan receptor during Drosophila metamorphosis. Development. 1997;124:1757-69 pubmed
- D Avino P, Thummel C. crooked legs encodes a family of zinc finger proteins required for leg morphogenesis and ecdysone-regulated gene expression during Drosophila metamorphosis. Development. 1998;125:1733-45 pubmed..The genetic criteria described here provide a new direction for identifying regulators of adult tissue development during insect metamorphosis. ..
- Rohrbough J, Pinto S, Mihalek R, Tully T, Broadie K. latheo, a Drosophila gene involved in learning, regulates functional synaptic plasticity. Neuron. 1999;23:55-70 pubmed..Our results suggest that LAT is a novel presynaptic protein with a role in the Ca2(+)-dependent synaptic modulation mechanisms necessary for behavioral plasticity. ..
- Ward R, Reid P, Bashirullah A, D Avino P, Thummel C. GFP in living animals reveals dynamic developmental responses to ecdysone during Drosophila metamorphosis. Dev Biol. 2003;256:389-402 pubmed..This approach provides a new tool for characterizing the dynamic morphological changes that occur during metamorphosis in both wild-type and mutant animals. ..
- Gates J, Lam G, Ortiz J, Losson R, Thummel C. rigor mortis encodes a novel nuclear receptor interacting protein required for ecdysone signaling during Drosophila larval development. Development. 2004;131:25-36 pubmed..Furthermore, the dynamic intracellular redistribution of Rig protein suggests that it may act to refine spatial and temporal responses to ecdysone during development. ..
- Kozlova T, Lam G, Thummel C. Drosophila DHR38 nuclear receptor is required for adult cuticle integrity at eclosion. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:701-7 pubmed publisher..In contrast, cuticle gene expression is significantly reduced in DHR38(Y214) mutant pupae. These studies define the essential functions of DHR38 and provide a genetic context for further characterization of its roles during development. ..
- Woodard C, Baehrecke E, Thummel C. A molecular mechanism for the stage specificity of the Drosophila prepupal genetic response to ecdysone. Cell. 1994;79:607-15 pubmed..These findings indicate that beta FTZ-F1 plays a central role in the prepupal genetic response to ecdysone and provide a molecular mechanism for stage-specific responses to steroid hormones. ..
- King Jones K, Charles J, Lam G, Thummel C. The ecdysone-induced DHR4 orphan nuclear receptor coordinates growth and maturation in Drosophila. Cell. 2005;121:773-84 pubmed..We propose that DHR4 coordinates growth and maturation in Drosophila by mediating endocrine responses to the attainment of critical weight during larval development. ..
- Clark K, Bland J, Beckerle M. The Drosophila muscle LIM protein, Mlp84B, cooperates with D-titin to maintain muscle structural integrity. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2066-77 pubmed
- Andres A, Thummel C. Hormones, puffs and flies: the molecular control of metamorphosis by ecdysone. Trends Genet. 1992;8:132-8 pubmed..Molecular characterization of some of these genes has provided valuable clues to regulatory mechanisms by which the ecdysone signal is transduced and amplified. ..
- Karim F, Guild G, Thummel C. The Drosophila Broad-Complex plays a key role in controlling ecdysone-regulated gene expression at the onset of metamorphosis. Development. 1993;118:977-88 pubmed..These studies define the BR-C as a key regulator of gene activity at the onset of metamorphosis in Drosophila. ..
- Broadus J, McCabe J, Endrizzi B, Thummel C, Woodard C. The Drosophila beta FTZ-F1 orphan nuclear receptor provides competence for stage-specific responses to the steroid hormone ecdysone. Mol Cell. 1999;3:143-9 pubmed..This study define beta FTZ-F1 as an essential competence factor for stage-specific responses to a steroid signal and implicates interplay among nuclear receptors as a mechanism for achieving hormonal competence. ..
- Beckstead R, Lam G, Thummel C. The genomic response to 20-hydroxyecdysone at the onset of Drosophila metamorphosis. Genome Biol. 2005;6:R99 pubmed
- Thummel C. Dueling orphans--interacting nuclear receptors coordinate Drosophila metamorphosis. Bioessays. 1997;19:669-72 pubmed..This study provides a biological function for orphan receptor interactions during development. ..
- Beckstead R, Lam G, Thummel C. Specific transcriptional responses to juvenile hormone and ecdysone in Drosophila. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:570-8 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that larval organ culture can be used to identify Drosophila genes that are regulated by hormones other than 20E, and provide a basis for studying crosstalk between multiple hormone signaling pathways. ..