Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on protein subunits in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: protein subunits
- Magdaleno S, Northcutt G, Curran T, Kurschner C. mPPP1R16B is a novel mouse protein phosphatase 1 targeting subunit whose mRNA is located in cell bodies and dendrites of neurons in four distinct regions of the brain. Brain Res Gene Expr Patterns. 2002;1:143-9 pubmed..In situ hybridization revealed that Ppp1r16b message is found in both the cell bodies and the dendrites in Purkinje cells of the cerebellum and granule neurons of the dentate gyrus. ..
- Hone A, Ruiz M, Scadden M, Christensen S, Gajewiak J, Azam L, et al. Positional scanning mutagenesis of ?-conotoxin PeIA identifies critical residues that confer potency and selectivity for ?6/?3?2?3 and ?3?2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:25428-39 pubmed publisher..The results of these studies provide molecular insights into designing ligands that selectively target ?6?2* nAChRs. ..
- Hao H, Khalimonchuk O, Schraders M, Dephoure N, Bayley J, Kunst H, et al. SDH5, a gene required for flavination of succinate dehydrogenase, is mutated in paraganglioma. Science. 2009;325:1139-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, a mitochondrial proteomics analysis in yeast has led to the discovery of a human tumor susceptibility gene. ..
- Paul K, Blair D. Organization of FliN subunits in the flagellar motor of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:2502-11 pubmed..Electron microscopic reconstructions show a bulge at the bottom of the C-ring whose size and shape are a close match for the hypothesized FliN tetramer. ..
- Chen J, Mitcheson J, Lin M, Sanguinetti M. Functional roles of charged residues in the putative voltage sensor of the HCN2 pacemaker channel. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:36465-71 pubmed
- Kish Trier E, Hill C. Structural biology of the proteasome. Annu Rev Biophys. 2013;42:29-49 pubmed publisher..Other recent structural advances inform us about mechanisms of assembly and the role of conformational changes in the functional cycle. ..
- Yang W, Li C, Ward D, Kaplan J, Mansour S. Defective organellar membrane protein trafficking in Ap3b1-deficient cells. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 22):4077-86 pubmed..In particular, the Lamp proteins were clustered on the cell surface. These findings strengthen the evidence for an alternate pathway via the plasma membrane for cargo normally transported to organelles by AP-3. ..
- GonzÃ¡lez Bardeci N, Caramelo J, Blumenthal D, Rinaldi J, Rossi S, Moreno S. The PKA regulatory subunit from yeast forms a homotetramer: Low-resolution structure of the N-terminal oligomerization domain. J Struct Biol. 2016;193:141-54 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the oligomerization states of PKA R subunits is more diverse than previously thought, and suggest that this might allow some forms of PKA to interact with a wide range of intracellular partners. ..
- Bestwick M, Jeong M, Khalimonchuk O, Kim H, Winge D. Analysis of Leigh syndrome mutations in the yeast SURF1 homolog reveals a new member of the cytochrome oxidase assembly factor family. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4480-91 pubmed publisher..Cyc1 is known to be important at an ill-defined step in the assembly and/or stability of CcO. This new link to Coa4 may begin to further elucidate the role of Cyc1 in CcO biogenesis. ..
- Buczek P, Orr R, Pyper S, Shum M, Kimmel E, Ota I, et al. Binding linkage in a telomere DNA-protein complex at the ends of Oxytricha nova chromosomes. J Mol Biol. 2005;350:938-52 pubmed
- Lowder B, Duyvesteyn M, Blair D. FliG subunit arrangement in the flagellar rotor probed by targeted cross-linking. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:5640-7 pubmed..On the basis of the cross-linking results and the data available from mutational and electron microscopic studies, we propose a model for the organization of FliG subunits in the flagellum. ..
- Studdert C, Parkinson J. Crosslinking snapshots of bacterial chemoreceptor squads. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:2117-22 pubmed..Crosslinking in receptor trimer contact mutants correlated with their signaling behaviors, suggesting that trimers of dimers are both structural and functional precursors of chemoreceptor signaling teams in bacteria. ..
- Parnell K, Bass B. Functional redundancy of yeast proteins Reh1 and Rei1 in cytoplasmic 60S subunit maturation. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4014-23 pubmed publisher..We observe that strains lacking both Reh1 and Rei1 accumulate salt-labile 60S subunits, suggesting that Reh1/Rei1 is necessary for the cytoplasmic 60S subunit to adopt its mature, stable form. ..
- Hone A, Meyer E, McIntyre M, McIntosh J. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in dorsal root ganglion neurons include the ?6?4* subtype. FASEB J. 2012;26:917-26 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ?6?4* nAChRs are among the subtypes expressed by DRG, and to our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of ?6?4* in neurons outside the CNS. ..
- Beg A, Ernstrom G, Nix P, Davis M, Jorgensen E. Protons act as a transmitter for muscle contraction in C. elegans. Cell. 2008;132:149-60 pubmed publisher..8. The identification of the mechanisms for release and reception of proton signals establishes a highly unusual mechanism for intercellular communication. ..
- VanDemark A, Xin H, McCullough L, Rawlins R, Bentley S, Heroux A, et al. Structural and functional analysis of the Spt16p N-terminal domain reveals overlapping roles of yFACT subunits. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:5058-68 pubmed..The docking domain of H2A is identified as an important participant in maintaining stability during yFACT-mediated nucleosome reorganization, suggesting new models for the mechanism of this activity. ..
- Zhang H, Huang W, Zhang H, Zhu X, Craft C, Baehr W, et al. Light-dependent redistribution of visual arrestins and transducin subunits in mice with defective phototransduction. Mol Vis. 2003;9:231-7 pubmed..The light-dependent translocations of Arr and transducin subunits in opposite directions appear to be based on independent mechanisms. ..
- Ellison M, Haberlandt C, Gómez Casati M, Watkins M, Elgoyhen A, McIntosh J, et al. Alpha-RgIA: a novel conotoxin that specifically and potently blocks the alpha9alpha10 nAChR. Biochemistry. 2006;45:1511-7 pubmed
- Kojima S, Blair D. Solubilization and purification of the MotA/MotB complex of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2004;43:26-34 pubmed..35)S-radiolabeling showed that MotA and MotB are present in a 2:1 ratio in the complex. Purified MotA/MotB complexes should enable in vitro study of the proton-induced conformational change and other aspects of stator function. ..
- Gonciarz M, Whitby F, Eckert D, Kieffer C, Heroux A, Sundquist W, et al. Biochemical and structural studies of yeast Vps4 oligomerization. J Mol Biol. 2008;384:878-95 pubmed publisher..Our mutational analyses demonstrate that pore loop 2 residues Arg241 and Arg251 are required for efficient HIV-1 budding, thereby supporting a role for this "arginine collar" in Vps4 function. ..
- Gahring L, Rogers S. Nicotinic receptor subunit alpha5 modifies assembly, up-regulation, and response to pro-inflammatory cytokines. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:26049-57 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that alpha5 is an influential modulator of alpha4+beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor assembly and stabilizes their expression in response to fluctuations in external conditions. ..
- Shestakova A, Hanono A, Drosner S, Curtiss M, Davies B, Katzmann D, et al. Assembly of the AAA ATPase Vps4 on ESCRT-III. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1059-71 pubmed publisher..Vta1 in turn is predicted to cause a rearrangement of the Vps4 interactions that initiates the assembly of the active Vps4 oligomer. ..
- Backhaus S, Zakrzewicz A, Richter K, Damm J, Wilker S, Fuchs Moll G, et al. Surfactant inhibits ATP-induced release of interleukin-1β via nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:1055-1066 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the surfactant constituent, DPPC, efficiently inhibits ATP-induced inflammasome activation and maturation of IL-1β in human monocytes by a mechanism involving nAChRs. ..
- Dowell C, Olivera B, Garrett J, Staheli S, Watkins M, Kuryatov A, et al. Alpha-conotoxin PIA is selective for alpha6 subunit-containing nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Neurosci. 2003;23:8445-52 pubmed..Exploiting the unusual intron conservation of conotoxin genes may represent a more general approach for defining conotoxin ligand scaffolds to discriminate among closely related receptor populations. ..
- McIntosh J, Plazas P, Watkins M, Gómez Casati M, Olivera B, Elgoyhen A. A novel alpha-conotoxin, PeIA, cloned from Conus pergrandis, discriminates between rat alpha9alpha10 and alpha7 nicotinic cholinergic receptors. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30107-12 pubmed..Alpha-conotoxin PeIA represents a novel probe to differentiate responses mediated either through alpha9alpha10 or alpha7 nAChRs in those tissues where both receptors are expressed. ..
- Formosa T, Eriksson P, Wittmeyer J, Ginn J, Yu Y, Stillman D. Spt16-Pob3 and the HMG protein Nhp6 combine to form the nucleosome-binding factor SPN. EMBO J. 2001;20:3506-17 pubmed..These complexes have altered electrophoretic mobility and a distinct pattern of enhanced sensitivity to DNase I. These results suggest that Spt16-Pob3 and Nhp6 cooperate to function as a novel nucleosome reorganizing factor. ..
- Zhou Z, Callaway K, Weber D, Jensen P. Cutting edge: HLA-DM functions through a mechanism that does not require specific conserved hydrogen bonds in class II MHC-peptide complexes. J Immunol. 2009;183:4187-91 pubmed publisher..Our results support the conclusion that no individual component of the conserved hydrogen bond network plays an essential role in the DM catalytic mechanism. ..
- Gordon M, Holt D, Panigrahi A, Wilhelm B, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. Genome-wide dynamics of SAPHIRE, an essential complex for gene activation and chromatin boundaries. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:4058-69 pubmed..SAPHIRE localization is dynamic, as activated genes rapidly acquire SAPHIRE. Furthermore, saphire mutants dramatically shift a heterochromatin-euchromatin boundary in Chr1, suggesting a novel role in boundary regulation. ..
- McIntosh J, Absalom N, Chebib M, Elgoyhen A, Vincler M. Alpha9 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and the treatment of pain. Biochem Pharmacol. 2009;78:693-702 pubmed publisher..1 binding to or action on cloned GABA-B receptors expressed in HEK cells or Xenopus oocytes. We review the background, findings and implications of use of compounds that act on alpha9* nAChRs.(1). ..
- Biswas D, Takahata S, Stillman D. Different genetic functions for the Rpd3(L) and Rpd3(S) complexes suggest competition between NuA4 and Rpd3(S). Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4445-58 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the Rpd3(L) and Rpd3(S) complexes have distinct functions in vivo and that the relative amounts of the two forms alter the effectiveness of other chromatin-altering complexes, such as FACT and NuA4. ..
- Morita E, Sandrin V, Alam S, Eckert D, Gygi S, Sundquist W. Identification of human MVB12 proteins as ESCRT-I subunits that function in HIV budding. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:41-53 pubmed..Taken together, these studies define the composition of human ESCRT-I complexes and indicate that the MVB12 subunits play a unique role in regulating ESCRT-mediated virus budding. ..
- VanDemark A, Kasten M, Ferris E, Heroux A, Hill C, Cairns B. Autoregulation of the rsc4 tandem bromodomain by gcn5 acetylation. Mol Cell. 2007;27:817-28 pubmed..Additional regulatory mechanisms are indicated as H3S10 phosphorylation inhibits Rsc4 binding to H3K14ac peptides. ..
- Khalimonchuk O, Bird A, Winge D. Evidence for a pro-oxidant intermediate in the assembly of cytochrome oxidase. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:17442-9 pubmed..Studies on the hydrogen peroxide sensitivity in CcO assembly mutants reveal new aspects of the CcO assembly process. ..
- Sarkar M, Paul K, Blair D. Subunit organization and reversal-associated movements in the flagellar switch of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:675-84 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed in the framework of a structurally grounded hypothesis for the switching mechanism. ..
- Braun T, Al Mawsawi L, Kojima S, Blair D. Arrangement of core membrane segments in the MotA/MotB proton-channel complex of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2004;43:35-45 pubmed
- Pierrel F, Khalimonchuk O, Cobine P, Bestwick M, Winge D. Coa2 is an assembly factor for yeast cytochrome c oxidase biogenesis that facilitates the maturation of Cox1. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4927-39 pubmed publisher..The matrix-localized Coa2 protein may aid in stabilizing an early Cox1 intermediate containing the nuclear subunits Cox5a and Cox6. ..
- Seebohm G, Pusch M, Chen J, Sanguinetti M. Pharmacological activation of normal and arrhythmia-associated mutant KCNQ1 potassium channels. Circ Res. 2003;93:941-7 pubmed..Most KCNQ1 mutant channels responded to R-L3 similarly to wild-type channels, but one mutant channel (G306R) was insensitive to R-L3 possibly because it disrupted a key component of the drug-binding site. ..