Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on phosphorylation in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
- Gallego M, Eide E, Woolf M, Virshup D, Forger D. An opposite role for tau in circadian rhythms revealed by mathematical modeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:10618-23 pubmed
- Hsu L, White R. BRCA1 is associated with the centrosome during mitosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:12983-8 pubmed..Furthermore, gamma-tubulin associates preferentially with a hypophosphorylated form of BRCA1. ..
- Tsai I, Amack J, Gao Z, Band V, Yost H, Virshup D. A Wnt-CKIvarepsilon-Rap1 pathway regulates gastrulation by modulating SIPA1L1, a Rap GTPase activating protein. Dev Cell. 2007;12:335-47 pubmed..Our data demonstrate a role for CKIvarepsilon in noncanonical Wnt signaling and indicate that Wnt regulates morphogenesis in part through CKIvarepsilon-mediated control of Rap1 signaling. ..
- Stoltzman C, Kaadige M, Peterson C, Ayer D. MondoA senses non-glucose sugars: regulation of thioredoxin-interacting protein (TXNIP) and the hexose transport curb. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:38027-34 pubmed publisher..Analysis of glucose uptake in wild-type, MondoA-null, or TXNIP-null murine embryonic fibroblasts indicates a role for the MondoA-TXNIP regulatory circuit in the hexose transport curb, although other redundant pathways also contribute. ..
- Sturrock A, Huecksteadt T, Norman K, Sanders K, Murphy T, Chitano P, et al. Nox4 mediates TGF-beta1-induced retinoblastoma protein phosphorylation, proliferation, and hypertrophy in human airway smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;292:L1543-55 pubmed
- Cegielska A, Gietzen K, Rivers A, Virshup D. Autoinhibition of casein kinase I epsilon (CKI epsilon) is relieved by protein phosphatases and limited proteolysis. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:1357-64 pubmed..Phosphatase treatment also activated CKI epsilon toward the novel substrates I kappa B alpha and Ets-1. These mechanisms may serve to regulate CKI epsilon and related forms of CKI in the cell, perhaps in response to DNA damage. ..
- Seeling J, Miller J, Gil R, Moon R, White R, Virshup D. Regulation of beta-catenin signaling by the B56 subunit of protein phosphatase 2A. Science. 1999;283:2089-91 pubmed..B56 may direct PP2A to dephosphorylate specific components of the APC-dependent signaling complex and thereby inhibit Wnt signaling. ..
- Lewandowska A, Macfarlane J, Shaw J. Mitochondrial association, protein phosphorylation, and degradation regulate the availability of the active Rab GTPase Ypt11 for mitochondrial inheritance. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1185-95 pubmed publisher..We present a model that synthesizes these new features of Ypt11 function and regulation in mitochondrial inheritance. ..
- Gietzen K, Virshup D. Identification of inhibitory autophosphorylation sites in casein kinase I epsilon. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:32063-70 pubmed..The identified autophosphorylation sites do not conform to CKI substrate motifs identified in peptide substrates. ..
- Zhang Q, McMillin S, Tanner J, Palionyte M, Abel E, Symons J. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylation in treadmill-running mice: role of vascular signalling kinases. J Physiol. 2009;587:3911-20 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Akt and AMPK contribute importantly to vascular eNOS S1177 phosphorylation during treadmill-running, and that AMPK is sufficient to activate p-eNOS S1177 in the presence of PI3K inhibition. ..
- Liu J, Stevens J, Rote C, Yost H, Hu Y, Neufeld K, et al. Siah-1 mediates a novel beta-catenin degradation pathway linking p53 to the adenomatous polyposis coli protein. Mol Cell. 2001;7:927-36 pubmed..These results indicate that APC and Siah-1 mediate a novel beta-catenin degradation pathway linking p53 activation to cell cycle control. ..
- Fu Q, McKnight R, Yu X, Callaway C, Lane R. Growth retardation alters the epigenetic characteristics of hepatic dual specificity phosphatase 5. FASEB J. 2006;20:2127-9 pubmed
- Choi J, Bertram P, Drenan R, Carvalho J, Zhou H, Zheng X. The FKBP12-rapamycin-associated protein (FRAP) is a CLIP-170 kinase. EMBO Rep. 2002;3:988-94 pubmed..Our observations suggest that multiple CLIP-170 kinases are involved in positive and negative control of CLIP-170, and FRAP is a CLIP-170 kinase positively regulating the MT-binding behavior of CLIP-170. ..
- Sbia M, Parnell E, Yu Y, Olsen A, Kretschmann K, Voth W, et al. Regulation of the yeast Ace2 transcription factor during the cell cycle. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11135-45 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that the precise timing of Ace2 accumulation in the nucleus involves both a nuclear export sequence and a nuclear localization signal, whose activities are regulated by phosphorylation. ..
- Crotty T, Nakano T, Stafforini D, Topham M. Diacylglycerol kinase ? modulates Akt phosphorylation through pleckstrin homology domain leucine-rich repeat protein phosphatase 2 (PHLPP2). J Biol Chem. 2013;288:1439-47 pubmed publisher..Our collective data indicate that DGK? is a pertinent cancer target, and our studies could lay the groundwork for development of novel cancer therapeutics. ..
- Ding L, Traer E, McIntyre T, Zimmerman G, Prescott S. The cloning and characterization of a novel human diacylglycerol kinase, DGKiota. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32746-52 pubmed..3-33, which is known to be a locus for an inherited form of retinitis pigmentosa. These results have defined a novel isoform of DAG kinase, which may have important cellular functions in the retina and brain. ..
- Eyob H, Ekiz H, Derose Y, Waltz S, Williams M, Welm A. Inhibition of ron kinase blocks conversion of micrometastases to overt metastases by boosting antitumor immunity. Cancer Discov. 2013;3:751-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that Ron inhibitors may hold potential to specifically prevent outgrowth of micrometastases in patients with cancer in the adjuvant setting. ..
- Nishiyama S, Garz n A, Parkinson J. Mutational analysis of the P1 phosphorylation domain in Escherichia coli CheA, the signaling kinase for chemotaxis. J Bacteriol. 2014;196:257-64 pubmed publisher..However, once phosphorylated, the mutant P1 domains transferred phosphate to CheY at the wild-type rate. Thus, these P1 mutants appear to define interaction determinants for P1-P4 docking during the CheA autophosphorylation reaction...
- Matsumiya T, Prescott S, Stafforini D. IFN-epsilon mediates TNF-alpha-induced STAT1 phosphorylation and induction of retinoic acid-inducible gene-I in human cervical cancer cells. J Immunol. 2007;179:4542-9 pubmed..These findings have implications for our understanding of the immune responses that follow cytokine stimulation. ..
- Chen M, Poulter C. Characterization of thermophilic archaeal isopentenyl phosphate kinases. Biochemistry. 2010;49:207-17 pubmed publisher..All of the compounds were phosphorylated, although the catalytic efficiency was low for geranyl phosphate...
- Crotty T, Cai J, Sakane F, Taketomi A, Prescott S, Topham M. Diacylglycerol kinase delta regulates protein kinase C and epidermal growth factor receptor signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:15485-90 pubmed
- Eide E, Woolf M, Kang H, Woolf P, Hurst W, Camacho F, et al. Control of mammalian circadian rhythm by CKIepsilon-regulated proteasome-mediated PER2 degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:2795-807 pubmed..Cell culture-based biochemical assays combined with measurement of cell-based rhythm complement genetic studies to elucidate basic mechanisms controlling the mammalian clock. ..
- Zimmerman E, Chen J, Andersen J, Ardon O, Dehart J, Blackett J, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vpr-mediated G2 arrest requires Rad17 and Hus1 and induces nuclear BRCA1 and gamma-H2AX focus formation. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9286-94 pubmed..These findings should contribute to a greater understanding of how HIV-1 manipulates the CD4(+)-lymphocyte cell cycle and apoptosis induction in the progressive CD4(+)-lymphocyte depletion characteristic of HIV-1 pathogenesis. ..
- Andersen J, Zimmerman E, DeHart J, Murala S, Ardon O, Blackett J, et al. ATR and GADD45alpha mediate HIV-1 Vpr-induced apoptosis. Cell Death Differ. 2005;12:326-34 pubmed..Our results support a model in which Vpr-induced apoptosis is mediated via ATR phosphorylation of BRCA1, and consequent upregulation of GADD45alpha. ..
- Taylor R, Geisler T, Chambers J, McClain D. Up-regulation of O-GlcNAc transferase with glucose deprivation in HepG2 cells is mediated by decreased hexosamine pathway flux. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3425-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude that deglycosylation of proteins within the first few hours of glucose deprivation promotes ncOGT induction. These findings suggest a novel negative feedback regulatory loop for OGT and O-GlcNAc regulation. ..
- Ridges S, Heaton W, Joshi D, Choi H, Eiring A, Batchelor L, et al. Zebrafish screen identifies novel compound with selective toxicity against leukemia. Blood. 2012;119:5621-31 pubmed publisher..Although our efforts focused on leukemia therapy, this screening approach has broad implications as it can be translated to other cancer types involving malignant degeneration of developmentally arrested cells. ..
- Eto D, Jones T, Sundsbak J, Mulvey M. Integrin-mediated host cell invasion by type 1-piliated uropathogenic Escherichia coli. PLoS Pathog. 2007;3:e100 pubmed..Cumulatively, these results indicate that beta1 and alpha3 integrins are functionally important receptors for type 1 pili-expressing bacteria within the urinary tract and possibly at other sites within the host...
- McBride H, Sil A, Measday V, Yu Y, Moffat J, Maxon M, et al. The protein kinase Pho85 is required for asymmetric accumulation of the Ash1 protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2001;42:345-53 pubmed..We observe that Ash1 protein is phosphorylated by Pho85 in vitro and that Ash1 stability increases in a pho85 mutant. These data suggest that phosphorylation of Ash1 by Pho85 governs stability of Ash1 protein. ..
- Xu P, LaVallee P, Lin J, Hoidal J. Characterization of proteins binding to E-box/Ku86 sites and function of Ku86 in transcriptional regulation of the human xanthine oxidoreductase gene. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:16057-63 pubmed..A working model is presented to account for the role of DNA-PK and AREB6-like proteins in regulating hXOR activity. ..
- Bhoite L, Stillman D. Residues in the Swi5 zinc finger protein that mediate cooperative DNA binding with the Pho2 homeodomain protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:6436-46 pubmed..Analysis of promoter activation by these mutants suggests that this small region of Swi5 has at least two distinct functions, conferring specificity for activation of the HO promoter and for interaction with Pho2. ..
- Eide E, Virshup D. Casein kinase I: another cog in the circadian clockworks. Chronobiol Int. 2001;18:389-98 pubmed..Phosphorylation may regulate multiple properties of clock proteins, including stability and intracellular localization. ..
- Topham M, Prescott S. Mammalian diacylglycerol kinases, a family of lipid kinases with signaling functions. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:11447-50 pubmed
- Eide E, Vielhaber E, Hinz W, Virshup D. The circadian regulatory proteins BMAL1 and cryptochromes are substrates of casein kinase Iepsilon. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:17248-54 pubmed..We conclude that CKIepsilon phosphorylates multiple circadian substrates and may exert its effects on circadian rhythm in part by a direct effect on BMAL1-dependent transcription. ..
- Hsu L, Doan T, White R. Identification of a gamma-tubulin-binding domain in BRCA1. Cancer Res. 2001;61:7713-8 pubmed..Thus, attenuating the interaction between BRCA1 and gamma-tubulin, and their association with mitotic centrosomes, may induce an increase of aneuploid cell population and contribute to tumorigenesis. ..
- Foulds C, Nelson M, Blaszczak A, Graves B. Ras/mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling activates Ets-1 and Ets-2 by CBP/p300 recruitment. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10954-64 pubmed..In addition, our findings decipher the mechanistic link between Ras/MAPK signaling and two specific transcription factors that are relevant to both normal development and tumorigenesis. ..
- Ke X, McKnight R, Caprau D, O Grady S, Fu Q, Yu X, et al. Intrauterine growth restriction affects hippocampal dual specificity phosphatase 5 gene expression and epigenetic characteristics. Physiol Genomics. 2011;43:1160-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, when IUGR decreased DUSP5 protein levels, Erk phosphorylation increased. We conclude that IUGR affects hippocampal DUSP5 expression and epigenetic characteristics in a sex-specific manner. ..
- Kraiss L, Weyrich A, Alto N, Dixon D, Ennis T, Modur V, et al. Fluid flow activates a regulator of translation, p70/p85 S6 kinase, in human endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;278:H1537-44 pubmed..Transcriptional blockade did not abolish the flow-induced upregulation of Bcl-3. Fluid forces may therefore modify endothelial phenotype by specifically regulating translation of certain mRNA transcripts into protein...
- Burke P, Schooler K, Wiley H. Regulation of epidermal growth factor receptor signaling by endocytosis and intracellular trafficking. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1897-910 pubmed..In addition, ligand loss is the proximal cause of EGFR inactivation. Thus, regulated trafficking could potentially influence the pattern as well as the duration of signal transduction. ..
- Topham M, Bunting M, Zimmerman G, McIntyre T, Blackshear P, Prescott S. Protein kinase C regulates the nuclear localization of diacylglycerol kinase-zeta. Nature. 1998;394:697-700 pubmed..This may be a general mechanism to control mitogenic signals that depend on nuclear diacylglycerol. ..
- Swiatek W, Tsai I, Klimowski L, Pepler A, Barnette J, Yost H, et al. Regulation of casein kinase I epsilon activity by Wnt signaling. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:13011-7 pubmed..Activation of the Wnt pathway may therefore stimulate a cellular phosphatase to dephosphorylate and activate CKIepsilon ..
- Huang J, Simcox J, Mitchell T, Jones D, Cox J, Luo B, et al. Iron regulates glucose homeostasis in liver and muscle via AMP-activated protein kinase in mice. FASEB J. 2013;27:2845-54 pubmed publisher..In summary, a diet high in iron improves glucose tolerance by activating AMPK through mechanisms that include deacetylation. ..
- Ashton N, Taggart D, Stewart R. Silk tape nanostructure and silk gland anatomy of trichoptera. Biopolymers. 2012;97:432-45 pubmed publisher..Fiber formation from polyampholytic silk proteins in Trichoptera may suggest a new approach to create synthetic silk analogs from water-soluble precursors. ..
- Bolger G, Peden A, Steele M, MacKenzie C, McEwan D, Wallace D, et al. Attenuation of the activity of the cAMP-specific phosphodiesterase PDE4A5 by interaction with the immunophilin XAP2. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:33351-63 pubmed..We suggest that XAP2 functionally interacts with PDE4A5 in cells. ..
- Luo B, Prescott S, Topham M. Diacylglycerol kinase zeta regulates phosphatidylinositol 4-phosphate 5-kinase Ialpha by a novel mechanism. Cell Signal. 2004;16:891-7 pubmed..Combined, these data support a novel function for DGKzeta: by generating PA, it stimulates PIP5KIalpha activity to increase local PIP2, which regulates actin polymerization. ..
- VanDemark A, Kasten M, Ferris E, Heroux A, Hill C, Cairns B. Autoregulation of the rsc4 tandem bromodomain by gcn5 acetylation. Mol Cell. 2007;27:817-28 pubmed..Additional regulatory mechanisms are indicated as H3S10 phosphorylation inhibits Rsc4 binding to H3K14ac peptides. ..
- Swiatek W, Kang H, Garcia B, Shabanowitz J, Coombs G, Hunt D, et al. Negative regulation of LRP6 function by casein kinase I epsilon phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12233-41 pubmed..Generation of active CKIepsilon may induce a negative feedback loop by phosphorylation of sites on LRP5/6 that modulate axin binding and hence beta-catenin degradation. ..
- Vielhaber E, Eide E, Rivers A, Gao Z, Virshup D. Nuclear entry of the circadian regulator mPER1 is controlled by mammalian casein kinase I epsilon. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4888-99 pubmed..CKIepsilon may regulate mammalian circadian rhythm by controlling the rate at which mPER1 enters the nucleus. ..
- Luo W, Peterson A, Garcia B, Coombs G, Kofahl B, Heinrich R, et al. Protein phosphatase 1 regulates assembly and function of the beta-catenin degradation complex. EMBO J. 2007;26:1511-21 pubmed..Specific inhibition of PP1 in this pathway may offer therapeutic approaches to disorders with increased beta-catenin signaling. ..
- Adey N, Huang L, Ormonde P, Baumgard M, Pero R, Byreddy D, et al. Threonine phosphorylation of the MMAC1/PTEN PDZ binding domain both inhibits and stimulates PDZ binding. Cancer Res. 2000;60:35-7 pubmed..This result suggests phosphorylation of the MMAC1/PTEN PDZ binding domain can both inhibit and promote PDZ interactions. ..
- Ames P, Parkinson J. Constitutively signaling fragments of Tsr, the Escherichia coli serine chemoreceptor. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:6340-8 pubmed..The correlation between the in vitro effects of Tsr signaling fragments on CheA activity and their in vivo behavioral effects lends convincing support to the phosphorelay model of chemotactic signaling. ..
- Warters R, Gaffney D, Kramer G, Martinez J, Cress A. Transient dephosphorylation of p53 serine 376 as an early response to ionizing radiation. Radiat Res. 2009;171:725-34 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that dephosphorylation of serine 376 on constitutive nuclear p53 is a sensitive and early signaling event in the response of cells to DNA damage induced by ionizing radiation. ..
- Zhang F, White R, Neufeld K. Cell density and phosphorylation control the subcellular localization of adenomatous polyposis coli protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:8143-56 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that physiological signals such as cell density regulate APC's nuclear distribution, with phosphorylation sites near NLS2(APC) being critical for this regulation. ..
- Liu J, Chen J, Dai Q, Lee R. Phospholipid scramblase 3 is the mitochondrial target of protein kinase C delta-induced apoptosis. Cancer Res. 2003;63:1153-6 pubmed..These results indicate that PLS3 is a downstream effector of PKC-delta in the mitochondria. ..
- Li L, Blumenthal D, Masaki T, Terry C, Cheung A. Differential effects of imatinib on PDGF-induced proliferation and PDGF receptor signaling in human arterial and venous smooth muscle cells. J Cell Biochem. 2006;99:1553-63 pubmed..These data highlight inherent pharmacodynamic differences between VSMC and ASMC in receptor and cell signaling functions and suggest that imatinib therapy may be useful for the prevention of venous stenosis in vascular grafts. ..
- Luo B, Prescott S, Topham M. Protein kinase C alpha phosphorylates and negatively regulates diacylglycerol kinase zeta. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:39542-7 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that PKC alpha phosphorylates DGK zeta in cells, and this phosphorylation inhibits its kinase activity to remove cellular DAG, thereby affecting cell growth. ..
- Parker G, Lund K, Taylor R, McClain D. Insulin resistance of glycogen synthase mediated by o-linked N-acetylglucosamine. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:10022-7 pubmed..We conclude that O-GlcNAc modification of glycogen synthase results in the retention of the enzyme in a glucose 6-phosphate-dependent state and contributes to the reduced activation of the enzyme in insulin resistance. ..
- Marathe G, Johnson C, Billings S, Southall M, Pei Y, Spandau D, et al. Ultraviolet B radiation generates platelet-activating factor-like phospholipids underlying cutaneous damage. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:35448-57 pubmed..PAF signaling may participate in the cutaneous inflammation that occurs during photo-aggravated dermatoses. ..
- Yang T, Zhang A, Honeggar M, Kohan D, Mizel D, Sanders K, et al. Hypertonic induction of COX-2 in collecting duct cells by reactive oxygen species of mitochondrial origin. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:34966-73 pubmed..We conclude that ROSs derived from mitochondria, but not NADPH oxidase, mediate the hypertonicity-induced phosphorylation of MAPK and the stimulation of COX-2 expression. ..
- De Domenico I, Zhang T, Koening C, Branch R, London N, Lo E, et al. Hepcidin mediates transcriptional changes that modulate acute cytokine-induced inflammatory responses in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:2395-405 pubmed publisher..The results of our study suggest a new function for hepcidin in modulating acute inflammatory responses. ..