Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on muscle proteins in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: muscle proteins
- Howard M, Moyle M, Aggarwal G, Carlson B, Anderson C. A recoding element that stimulates decoding of UGA codons by Sec tRNA[Ser]Sec. RNA. 2007;13:912-20 pubmed..The variation in recoding elements predicted near UGA-Sec codons implies that these elements may play a differential role in determining the amount of selenoprotein produced by acting as controllers of UGA decoding efficiency. ..
- Decher N, Chen J, Sanguinetti M. Voltage-dependent gating of hyperpolarization-activated, cyclic nucleotide-gated pacemaker channels: molecular coupling between the S4-S5 and C-linkers. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:13859-65 pubmed
- Decher N, Bundis F, Vajna R, Steinmeyer K. KCNE2 modulates current amplitudes and activation kinetics of HCN4: influence of KCNE family members on HCN4 currents. Pflugers Arch. 2003;446:633-40 pubmed..KCNE2, by modulating I(f) or I(h) currents, might thus contribute to the electrophysiological diversity of known pacemaking currents in the heart and brain. ..
- Ptacek L, Tawil R, Griggs R, Engel A, Layzer R, Kwiecinski H, et al. Dihydropyridine receptor mutations cause hypokalemic periodic paralysis. Cell. 1994;77:863-8 pubmed..In one kindred, the mutation arose de novo. Taken together, these data establish this DHP receptor as the hypoKPP gene. We are unaware of any other human diseases presently known to result from DHP receptor mutations. ..
- Stronach B, Renfranz P, Lilly B, Beckerle M. Muscle LIM proteins are associated with muscle sarcomeres and require dMEF2 for their expression during Drosophila myogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:2329-42 pubmed..Furthermore, our results are consistent with a structural role for Mlps as components of muscle cytoarchitecture. ..
- Zhang Y, Featherstone D, Davis W, Rushton E, Broadie K. Drosophila D-titin is required for myoblast fusion and skeletal muscle striation. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 17):3103-15 pubmed..We propose that D-Titin is instrumental in the development of the two defining features of striated muscle: the formation of multi-nucleate syncitia and the organization of actin-myosin filaments into striated arrays. ..
- Clark K, Kadrmas J. Drosophila melanogaster muscle LIM protein and alpha-actinin function together to stabilize muscle cytoarchitecture: a potential role for Mlp84B in actin-crosslinking. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2013;70:304-16 pubmed publisher..Our data support a model in which ?-actinin and Mlp84B have important and overlapping functions at sites of actin filament anchorage to preserve muscle structure and function. ..
- Lilly B, Clark K, Yoshigi M, Pronovost S, Wu M, Periasamy M, et al. Loss of the serum response factor cofactor, cysteine-rich protein 1, attenuates neointima formation in the mouse. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:694-701 pubmed publisher..Because CRPs 1 and 2 are coexpressed in the vasculature, we hypothesize that CRPs 1 and 2 act redundantly in smooth muscle differentiation...
- Pomies P, Macalma T, Beckerle M. Purification and characterization of an alpha-actinin-binding PDZ-LIM protein that is up-regulated during muscle differentiation. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:29242-50 pubmed
- Henderson J, Macalma T, Brown D, Richardson J, Olson E, Beckerle M. The LIM protein, CRP1, is a smooth muscle marker. Dev Dyn. 1999;214:229-38 pubmed..CRP1 expression persists into adulthood with prominent expression observed in both vascular and visceral smooth muscle. The results reported here define CRP1 as a general marker of smooth muscle lineages. ..
- Clark K, Bland J, Beckerle M. The Drosophila muscle LIM protein, Mlp84B, cooperates with D-titin to maintain muscle structural integrity. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2066-77 pubmed
- Graveleau C, Zaha V, Mohajer A, Banerjee R, Dudley Rucker N, Steppan C, et al. Mouse and human resistins impair glucose transport in primary mouse cardiomyocytes, and oligomerization is required for this biological action. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:31679-85 pubmed..Thus, in cardiomyocytes, both mouse and human resistins directly impair glucose transport; and in contrast to effects on the liver, these actions of resistin require oligomerization. ..
- Knowlton J, Johnston S, Whitby F, Realini C, Zhang Z, Rechsteiner M, et al. Structure of the proteasome activator REGalpha (PA28alpha). Nature. 1997;390:639-43 pubmed..The binding of REG probably causes conformational changes that open a pore in the proteasome alpha-subunits through which substrates and products can pass. ..
- Han H, Beckerle M. The ALP-Enigma protein ALP-1 functions in actin filament organization to promote muscle structural integrity in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2361-70 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrate that ALP-1 and alpha-actinin function together to stabilize actin filaments and promote muscle structural integrity. ..
- Crawford A, Pino J, Beckerle M. Biochemical and molecular characterization of the chicken cysteine-rich protein, a developmentally regulated LIM-domain protein that is associated with the actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 1994;124:117-27 pubmed..We have performed quantitative Western immunoblot analysis of cCRP, zyxin, and alpha-actinin levels during embryogenesis. By this approach, we have demonstrated that the expression of cCRP is developmentally regulated. ..
- McClain D, Hazel M, Parker G, Cooksey R. Adipocytes with increased hexosamine flux exhibit insulin resistance, increased glucose uptake, and increased synthesis and storage of lipid. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005;288:E973-9 pubmed..05). We conclude that the hexosamine signaling pathway upregulates fat storage in adipocytes in states of carbohydrate excess, in part by increasing GLUT4 and glucose uptake and by augmenting fatty acid synthesis. ..
- Sung S, Brassington A, Grannatt K, Rutherford A, Whitby F, Krakowiak P, et al. Mutations in genes encoding fast-twitch contractile proteins cause distal arthrogryposis syndromes. Am J Hum Genet. 2003;72:681-90 pubmed..This provides a new opportunity to directly study the etiology and pathogenesis of multiple-congenital-contracture syndromes...
- McClain D, Lubas W, Cooksey R, Hazel M, Parker G, Love D, et al. Altered glycan-dependent signaling induces insulin resistance and hyperleptinemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:10695-9 pubmed..These data support the proposal that O-linked GlcNAc transferase participates in a hexosamine-dependent signaling pathway that is linked to insulin resistance and leptin production. ..
- Stronach B, Siegrist S, Beckerle M. Two muscle-specific LIM proteins in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 1996;134:1179-95 pubmed..The temporal expression and spatial distribution of muscle LIM proteins in Drosophila are consistent with a role for Mlps in myogenesis, late in the differentiation pathway. ..
- F rster A, Masters E, Whitby F, Robinson H, Hill C. The 1.9 A structure of a proteasome-11S activator complex and implications for proteasome-PAN/PA700 interactions. Mol Cell. 2005;18:589-99 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, biochemical observations implicate an equivalent interaction for the unrelated ATP-dependent activators PAN and PA700...
- Maiti B, Arbogast S, Allamand V, Moyle M, Anderson C, Richard P, et al. A mutation in the SEPN1 selenocysteine redefinition element (SRE) reduces selenocysteine incorporation and leads to SEPN1-related myopathy. Hum Mutat. 2009;30:411-6 pubmed publisher..This data highlights the importance of the SRE element during SelN expression and illustrates a novel molecular mechanism by which point mutations may lead to SEPN1-related myopathy. ..
- Dai L, Bellugi U, Chen X, Pulst Korenberg A, Järvinen Pasley A, Tirosh Wagner T, et al. Is it Williams syndrome? GTF2IRD1 implicated in visual-spatial construction and GTF2I in sociability revealed by high resolution arrays. Am J Med Genet A. 2009;149A:302-14 pubmed publisher..These results combine with previous data from small deletions to suggest the gene GTF2IRD1 is associated with WS facies and VSC, and that GTF2I may contribute to WS social behaviors including increased gaze and attention to strangers. ..
- Abel E, Graveleau C, Betuing S, Pham M, Reay P, Kandror V, et al. Regulation of insulin-responsive aminopeptidase expression and targeting in the insulin-responsive vesicle compartment of glucose transporter isoform 4-deficient cardiomyocytes. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:2491-501 pubmed..Thus, GLUT4 and IRAP content of early endosome-derived sorting vesicles and of IRVs are coordinately regulated, and both proteins are required for maintenance of key constituents of these compartments in cardiac muscle cells in vivo. ..
- Chen J, Mitcheson J, Tristani Firouzi M, Lin M, Sanguinetti M. The S4-S5 linker couples voltage sensing and activation of pacemaker channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:11277-82 pubmed..Our findings also suggest that opening of HCN and related channels corresponds to activation of a gate located near the inner pore, rather than recovery of channels from a C-type inactivated state. ..
- Su Z, Yao A, Zubair I, Sugishita K, Ritter M, Li F, et al. Effects of deletion of muscle LIM protein on myocyte function. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H2665-73 pubmed..Thus a reduced [Ca2+]-induced shortening may be involved in the pathogenesis of myocardial dysfunction in this genetic model of heart failure...
- Chen J, Mitcheson J, Lin M, Sanguinetti M. Functional roles of charged residues in the putative voltage sensor of the HCN2 pacemaker channel. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:36465-71 pubmed
- Hervy M, Hoffman L, Beckerle M. From the membrane to the nucleus and back again: bifunctional focal adhesion proteins. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2006;18:524-32 pubmed..Recent findings have given insight into the physiological signals that trigger trafficking of focal adhesion constituents to the nucleus, where they make diverse contributions to the control of gene expression...