Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on morphogenesis in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
- Li D, Brooke B, Davis E, Mecham R, Sorensen L, Boak B, et al. Elastin is an essential determinant of arterial morphogenesis. Nature. 1998;393:276-80 pubmed..Thus, elastin has an unanticipated regulatory function during arterial development, controlling proliferation of smooth muscle and stabilizing arterial structure. ..
- Morita E, Sandrin V, Alam S, Eckert D, Gygi S, Sundquist W. Identification of human MVB12 proteins as ESCRT-I subunits that function in HIV budding. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:41-53 pubmed..Taken together, these studies define the composition of human ESCRT-I complexes and indicate that the MVB12 subunits play a unique role in regulating ESCRT-mediated virus budding. ..
- Gates J, Thummel C. An enhancer trap screen for ecdysone-inducible genes required for Drosophila adult leg morphogenesis. Genetics. 2000;156:1765-76 pubmed..Both bancal and vulcan are inducible by ecdysone, thus linking the hormone signal with leg morphogenesis. This screen provides new directions for understanding the hormonal regulation of leg development during Drosophila metamorphosis. ..
- Kopinke D, Sasine J, Swift J, Stephens W, Piotrowski T. Retinoic acid is required for endodermal pouch morphogenesis and not for pharyngeal endoderm specification. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2695-709 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the developmental processes underlying pharyngeal arch defects differ depending on when RA signaling is disturbed during development...
- Clark K, Bland J, Beckerle M. The Drosophila muscle LIM protein, Mlp84B, cooperates with D-titin to maintain muscle structural integrity. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2066-77 pubmed
- Chisaka O, Capecchi M. Regionally restricted developmental defects resulting from targeted disruption of the mouse homeobox gene hox-1.5. Nature. 1991;350:473-9 pubmed..In addition, they often feature defects of the heart and arteries as well as craniofacial abnormalities. These deficiencies are remarkably similar to the pathology of the human congenital disorder DiGeorge's syndrome. ..
- Hatch E, Noyes C, Wang X, Wright T, Mansour S. Fgf3 is required for dorsal patterning and morphogenesis of the inner ear epithelium. Development. 2007;134:3615-25 pubmed..Finally, we show that Fgf3 prevents ventral expansion of r5-6 neurectodermal Wnt3a, serving to focus inductive WNT signals on the dorsal otic vesicle and highlighting a new example of cross-talk between the two signaling systems. ..
- Jones T, Metzstein M. A novel function for the PAR complex in subcellular morphogenesis of tracheal terminal cells in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2011;189:153-64 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that proteins from the PAR complex can be deployed independently within a single cell to control two different morphogenetic processes. ..
- Karow M, Georgopoulos C. Isolation and characterization of the Escherichia coli msbB gene, a multicopy suppressor of null mutations in the high-temperature requirement gene htrB. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:702-10 pubmed..These results suggest that MsbB and HtrB play an important role in outer membrane structure and/or function...
- Manley N, Capecchi M. The role of Hoxa-3 in mouse thymus and thyroid development. Development. 1995;121:1989-2003 pubmed..This variability suggests the presence of a compensating gene or genes, whose utilization is stochastic. A reasonable candidate for providing this compensatory function is the paralogous gene Hoxb-3. ..
- Urness L, Sorensen L, Li D. Arteriovenous malformations in mice lacking activin receptor-like kinase-1. Nat Genet. 2000;26:328-31 pubmed..The early loss of anatomical, molecular and functional distinctions between arteries and veins indicates that Acvrl1 is required for developing distinct arterial and venous vascular beds. ..
- Chen F, Capecchi M. Targeted mutations in hoxa-9 and hoxb-9 reveal synergistic interactions. Dev Biol. 1997;181:186-96 pubmed..In particular, the sternum defects are greatly exacerbated. Interestingly, the defects in hoxb-9 and hoxa-9/ hoxb-9 mutant mice are concentrated along the axial column at points of transition between vertebral types. ..
- D Avino P, Thummel C. crooked legs encodes a family of zinc finger proteins required for leg morphogenesis and ecdysone-regulated gene expression during Drosophila metamorphosis. Development. 1998;125:1733-45 pubmed..The genetic criteria described here provide a new direction for identifying regulators of adult tissue development during insect metamorphosis. ..
- Dickinson W, Thatcher J. Morphogenesis of denticles and hairs in Drosophila embryos: involvement of actin-associated proteins that also affect adult structures. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1997;38:9-21 pubmed..We suggest that interactions between these and other actin-associated proteins are important in generating the diverse shapes of the cuticular specializations seen in both larvae and adults. ..
- Cimbora D, Sakonju S. Drosophila midgut morphogenesis requires the function of the segmentation gene odd-paired. Dev Biol. 1995;169:580-95 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Carpenter E, Goddard J, Chisaka O, Manley N, Capecchi M. Loss of Hox-A1 (Hox-1.6) function results in the reorganization of the murine hindbrain. Development. 1993;118:1063-75 pubmed
- Rabiger D, Drews G. MYB64 and MYB119 are required for cellularization and differentiation during female gametogenesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003783 pubmed publisher..Our data establish a molecular pathway regulating the FG5 transition and implicates CKI1-dependent TCS in the promotion of cellularization, differentiation, and gamete specification during female gametogenesis. ..
- Stachel S, Grunwald D, Myers P. Lithium perturbation and goosecoid expression identify a dorsal specification pathway in the pregastrula zebrafish. Development. 1993;117:1261-74 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the zebrafish dorsal axis is signaled by a pathway initiated in the cleavage-stage embryo. Furthermore, they provide novel insights into anterior morphogenesis. ..
- Rogers S, Gahring L. Nicotinic receptor Alpha7 expression during tooth morphogenesis reveals functional pleiotropy. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36467 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate distinct and varied spatiotemporal expression of alpha7 during tooth development, and they suggest that dysfunction of this receptor would have diverse impacts upon the adult organ. ..
- Karlstrom R, Wilder L, Bastiani M. Lachesin: an immunoglobulin superfamily protein whose expression correlates with neurogenesis in grasshopper embryos. Development. 1993;118:509-22 pubmed..Lachesin is also similar to several other vertebrate immunoglobulin superfamily proteins (TAG-1, F11, L1 and NgCAM) known to function in neurite outgrowth and other cell surface recognition events. ..
- Kozlova T, Thummel C. Essential roles for ecdysone signaling during Drosophila mid-embryonic development. Science. 2003;301:1911-4 pubmed..It also provides an intriguing parallel with the role of mammalian extraembryonic tissues as a critical source of steroid hormones during embryonic development. ..
- Aman A, Piotrowski T. Cell migration during morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2010;341:20-33 pubmed publisher..More importantly, we will highlight, compare and integrate recent advances in our understanding of how cell migration is regulated in these varied model systems with special emphasis on individual and collective cell movements. ..
- Hoshijima K, Metherall J, Grunwald D. A protein disulfide isomerase expressed in the embryonic midline is required for left/right asymmetries. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2518-29 pubmed
- Gaufo G, Thomas K, Capecchi M. Hox3 genes coordinate mechanisms of genetic suppression and activation in the generation of branchial and somatic motoneurons. Development. 2003;130:5191-201 pubmed
- Hutson L, Jurynec M, Yeo S, Okamoto H, Chien C. Two divergent slit1 genes in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:358-69 pubmed..Their expression patterns, particularly that of slit1a, suggest that Slit proteins may have roles in tissue morphogenesis in addition to their established roles in axon guidance and cell migration. ..
- Willardsen M, Suli A, Pan Y, Marsh Armstrong N, Chien C, El Hodiri H, et al. Temporal regulation of Ath5 gene expression during eye development. Dev Biol. 2009;326:471-81 pubmed publisher..This temporal regulation of Xath5 gene expression is comparable to proneural gene regulation in Drosophila, whereby separate enhancers regulate different temporal phases of expression. ..
- D Avino P, Thummel C. The ecdysone regulatory pathway controls wing morphogenesis and integrin expression during Drosophila metamorphosis. Dev Biol. 2000;220:211-24 pubmed..We also propose that ecdysone modulation of integrin expression might be widely used to control multiple aspects of adult development. ..
- Yang Z, Chen Y, Lillo C, Chien J, Yu Z, Michaelides M, et al. Mutant prominin 1 found in patients with macular degeneration disrupts photoreceptor disk morphogenesis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:2908-16 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results identify what we believe to be a novel complex involved in photoreceptor disk morphogenesis and indicate a possible role for PROM1 and PCDH21 in macular degeneration. ..
- Karnik S, Brooke B, Bayes Genis A, Sorensen L, Wythe J, Schwartz R, et al. A critical role for elastin signaling in vascular morphogenesis and disease. Development. 2003;130:411-23 pubmed..Together, this work demonstrates that signaling pathways crucial for arterial morphogenesis can play an important role in the pathogenesis and treatment of vascular disease. ..
- Jones T, Nikolova L, Schjelderup A, Metzstein M. Exocyst-mediated membrane trafficking is required for branch outgrowth in Drosophila tracheal terminal cells. Dev Biol. 2014;390:41-50 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest a model where exocyst mediated vesicle trafficking facilitates branch outgrowth, while de novo branching requires cooperation between the PAR and exocyst complexes. ..
- Park E, Ogden L, Talbot A, Evans S, Cai C, Black B, et al. Required, tissue-specific roles for Fgf8 in outflow tract formation and remodeling. Development. 2006;133:2419-33 pubmed..These findings provide a novel insight into how the formation and remodeling of primary and anterior heart field-derived structures rely on Fgf8 signals from discrete temporospatial domains. ..
- Hill J, Demarest B, Gorsi B, Smith M, Yost H. Heart morphogenesis gene regulatory networks revealed by temporal expression analysis. Development. 2017;144:3487-3498 pubmed publisher..This dataset provides an essential resource for future studies on the genetic/epigenetic pathways implicated in congenital heart defects and the mechanisms of cardiac transcriptional regulation. ..
- Ward R, Evans J, Thummel C. Genetic modifier screens in Drosophila demonstrate a role for Rho1 signaling in ecdysone-triggered imaginal disc morphogenesis. Genetics. 2003;165:1397-415 pubmed
- Nishitani A, Ohta S, Yung A, Del Rio T, Gordon M, Abraira V, et al. Distinct functions for netrin 1 in chicken and murine semicircular canal morphogenesis. Development. 2017;144:3349-3360 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance of apoptosis for tissue morphogenesis and suggest that Ntn1 may play divergent cellular roles despite its conserved expression during canal morphogenesis in chicken and mouse. ..