Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on infant in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Publications194 found, 100 shown here
- Clendenon J, Meyers R, Nance M, Scaife E. Management of duodenal injuries in children. J Pediatr Surg. 2004;39:964-8 pubmed..There were no deaths caused by duodenal injuries. Duodenal injuries in children were predominantly blunt and had a low mortality rate. When surgery was required, primary repair was usually feasible. ..
- Glasgow T, Young P, Wallin J, Kwok C, Stoddard G, Firth S, et al. Association of intrapartum antibiotic exposure and late-onset serious bacterial infections in infants. Pediatrics. 2005;116:696-702 pubmed..Pathogens that cause late-onset SBI were more likely to be resistant to ampicillin when the infant had been exposed to intrapartum antibiotics. ..
- Hake Brooks S, Anderson G. Kangaroo care and breastfeeding of mother-preterm infant dyads 0-18 months: a randomized, controlled trial. Neonatal Netw. 2008;27:151-9 pubmed..047. More KC dyads than control dyads breastfed at full exclusivity (100 percent breast milk, index of breastfeeding status levels 1 or 2) at discharge and at 1.5, 3, and 6 months. Mean KC contact per day was 4.47 hours. ..
- Roundy L, Filloux F, Kerr L, Rimer A, Bonkowsky J. Seizure Action Plans Do Not Reduce Health Care Utilization in Pediatric Epilepsy Patients. J Child Neurol. 2016;31:433-8 pubmed publisher..006). However, the study was underpowered to detect smaller differences. This study suggests that pediatric epilepsy quality improvement measures may require alternative approaches to reduce health care utilization and improve outcomes. ..
- Longo N, Wang Y, Smith S, Langley S, DiMeglio L, Giannella Neto D. Genotype-phenotype correlation in inherited severe insulin resistance. Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:1465-75 pubmed..These results indicate that mutations in the insulin receptor retaining residual insulin-binding correlate with prolonged survival in our series of patients with extreme insulin resistance. ..
- Ellis Simonsen S, van Orman E, Hatch B, Jones S, Gren L, Hegmann K, et al. Cellulitis incidence in a defined population. Epidemiol Infect. 2006;134:293-9 pubmed..Cellulitis is fairly common, usually treated in outpatient settings, and is infrequently complicated by erysipelas, lymphadenitis, lymphangitis, or necrotizing fasciitis. ..
- Wolsey D, Warner J. Paroxysmal tonic downgaze in two healthy infants. J Neuroophthalmol. 2006;26:187-9 pubmed..This idiopathic condition resembles paroxysmal tonic upgaze in infancy. Until further documentation clearly establishes that this phenomenon is benign, evaluation with MRI and electroencephalography is indicated. ..
- Hirshberg E, Larsen G, Van Duker H. Alterations in glucose homeostasis in the pediatric intensive care unit: Hyperglycemia and glucose variability are associated with increased mortality and morbidity. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2008;9:361-6 pubmed publisher..The relationship is similar to that found in adults and raises the question whether attention to control of blood glucose will improve outcomes in critically ill children. ..
- Feldkamp M, Reefhuis J, Kucik J, Krikov S, Wilson A, Moore C, et al. Case-control study of self reported genitourinary infections and risk of gastroschisis: findings from the national birth defects prevention study, 1997-2003. BMJ. 2008;336:1420-3 pubmed publisher..0, 95% confidence interval 1.4 to 11.6). There is a significant association between self reported urinary tract infection plus sexually transmitted infection just before conception and in early pregnancy and gastroschisis. ..
- Doby E, Benjamin D, Blaschke A, Ward R, Pavia A, Martin P, et al. Therapeutic monitoring of voriconazole in children less than three years of age: a case report and summary of voriconazole concentrations for ten children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012;31:632-5 pubmed publisher..Trough concentrations were unpredictable based on dose, highlighting the need to follow values during therapy. ..
- Fleming J, Hutton C, Heiser D, Youngquist S, Hutton K, Barton E. Spinal Cord Injuries and Helicopter Emergency Medical Services, 6,929 Patients: A Multicenter Analysis. Air Med J. 2016;35:33-42 pubmed publisher..SCI patients are mostly young adult males, thus supporting the loss of years of productivity and also supporting the high lifetime cost for care for SCI. This study created a methodology for future multicenter aggregate data studies. ..
- Opitz J, Pavone L, Corsello G. The power of stories in Pediatrics and Genetics. Ital J Pediatr. 2016;42:35 pubmed publisher..Due to his exceptional talent, combined with his specific interest and basal knowledge in the genetic and pediatric fields, he is widely credited to be one of the best pediatricians in the world. ..
- Kestle J, Connolly M, Cochrane D. Pediatric peri-insular hemispherotomy. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2000;32:44-7 pubmed..The clinical records were retrospectively reviewed, and the results and complications of the procedures were documented. The procedure was feasible in very young children and in the absence of ventriculomegaly. ..
- Adderson E, Byington C, Spencer L, Kimball A, Hindiyeh M, Carroll K, et al. Invasive serotype a Haemophilus influenzae infections with a virulence genotype resembling Haemophilus influenzae type b: emerging pathogen in the vaccine era?. Pediatrics. 2001;108:E18 pubmed..Our data support the hypothesis that the IS1016-bexA deletion may identify more virulent strains of H influenzae. Haemophilus influenzae, epidemiology, virulence, serotyping, pathogenicity. ..
- Stevenson D, Brothman A, Carey J, Chen Z, Dent K, Bale J, et al. 6q subtelomeric deletion: is there a recognizable syndrome?. Clin Dysmorphol. 2004;13:103-6 pubmed..Subtelomeric FISH probes were useful in establishing a diagnosis in our patient. As more cases are reported, we may be able to establish discrete phenotypes and natural histories that can aid in counselling families. ..
- Snow B, Gatti J, Renschler T, Corneli H, Cartwright P. Variation in diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid and mercaptoacetyltriglycine renal scans: clinical implications of interobserver and intraobserver differences. J Urol. 2008;179:1132-6; discussion 1137 pubmed publisher..6% differential function for a clinician to be 95% confident that a real change in kidney function has occurred. This uncertainty is substantial and is likely larger than is currently allowed for in clinical practice. ..
- Hawkins J, Sower C, Lambert L, Kouretas P, Burch P, Kaza A, et al. Stentless porcine valves in the right ventricular outflow tract: improved durability?. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009;35:600-4; discussion 604-5 pubmed publisher..Longer-term follow-up and comparison with other alternatives will be necessary to determine if these valves are superior to commonly used allograft or bovine jugular venous valved conduits. ..
- Grimmer J, Williams M, Pimentel R, Mineau G, Wood G, Bayrak Toydemir P, et al. Familial clustering of hemangiomas. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011;137:757-60 pubmed publisher..Identification of large families with distantly related individuals will be helpful for future shared segment identification analyses. ..
- Johnson M, Urm S, Jung J, Yun H, Munitz G, Tsigrelis C, et al. Housing data-based socioeconomic index and risk of invasive pneumococcal disease: an exploratory study. Epidemiol Infect. 2013;141:880-7 pubmed publisher..HOUSES may be useful for overcoming a paucity of conventional SES measures in commonly used datasets in epidemiological research. ..
- Olarte L, Ampofo K, Stockmann C, Mason E, Daly J, Pavia A, et al. Invasive pneumococcal disease in infants younger than 90 days before and after introduction of PCV7. Pediatrics. 2013;132:e17-24 pubmed publisher..In the post-vaccine introduction period, serotype 7F predominated in this age group and was associated with meningitis. ..
- Stevens T, Finer N, Carlo W, Szilagyi P, Phelps D, Walsh M, et al. Respiratory outcomes of the surfactant positive pressure and oximetry randomized trial (SUPPORT). J Pediatr. 2014;165:240-249.e4 pubmed publisher..Longitudinal assessment of pulmonary morbidity is necessary to fully evaluate the potential benefits of respiratory interventions for neonates. ..
- Smits Seemann R, Kaul S, Hersh A, Fluchel M, Boucher K, Kirchhoff A. ReCAP: Gaps in Insurance Coverage for Pediatric Patients With Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. J Oncol Pract. 2016;12:175-6; e207-14 pubmed publisher..Future research should focus on examining the effect of insurance gaps on patient outcomes and evaluating likelihood of gaps in insurance after health care reform. ..
- Bromberg M, Swoboda K. Motor unit number estimation in infants and children with spinal muscular atrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2002;25:445-7 pubmed..Preliminary data support the value of MUNE to help understand the time course of motor neuron loss in SMA. ..
- Bromberg M, Swoboda K, Lawson V. Counting motor units in chronic motor neuropathies. Exp Neurol. 2003;184 Suppl 1:S53-7 pubmed..The pattern of proximal motor unit loss differed between CMT1A and 2, suggesting differences in underlying axonal pathology. ..
- Wolsey D, Larson S, Creel D, Hoffman R. Can screening for optic nerve gliomas in patients with neurofibromatosis type I be performed with visual-evoked potential testing?. J AAPOS. 2006;10:307-11 pubmed..VEP is a sensitive and cost-effective screening test for ONG in NF1. VEP may assist in earlier diagnoses of ONG, especially in children with equivocal or difficult ophthalmic examinations. ..
- Sweney M, Silver K, Gerard Blanluet M, Pedespan J, Renault F, Arzimanoglou A, et al. Alternating hemiplegia of childhood: early characteristics and evolution of a neurodevelopmental syndrome. Pediatrics. 2009;123:e534-41 pubmed publisher..Current challenges in diagnosis and management contribute to poor outcomes. Early diagnosis and multicenter collaboration are needed to facilitate trials to identify more effective therapies. ..
- Zeft A, Hollister R, Lafleur B, Sampath P, Soep J, McNally B, et al. Anakinra for systemic juvenile arthritis: the Rocky Mountain experience. J Clin Rheumatol. 2009;15:161-4 pubmed publisher..Our experience supports the continued use of interleukin-1 inhibition in systemic juvenile arthritis and the search for more effective and more tolerable forms of interleukin-1 inhibition. ..
- Bender J, Ampofo K, Gesteland P, Stoddard G, Nelson D, Byington C, et al. Development and validation of a risk score for predicting hospitalization in children with influenza virus infection. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009;25:369-75 pubmed publisher..The risk score assigned to a child with influenza may provide a disposition tool for predicting hospitalization in children in seasonal influenza epidemics. ..
- Crookston B, Alder S, Boakye I, Merrill R, Amuasi J, Porucznik C, et al. Exploring the relationship between chronic undernutrition and asymptomatic malaria in Ghanaian children. Malar J. 2010;9:39 pubmed publisher..Programmes aimed at addressing malaria should continue to include nutritional components, especially components that address anaemia. ..
- Stevenson D, Carey J, Byrne J, Srisukhumbowornchai S, Feldkamp M. Analysis of skeletal dysplasias in the Utah population. Am J Med Genet A. 2012;158A:1046-54 pubmed publisher..Understanding the range for survival within each group/diagnosis is beneficial for health care providers when counseling families. ..
- Ramakrishnaiah R, Shelton J, Glasier C, Phillips P. Reliability of magnetic resonance imaging for the detection of hypopituitarism in children with optic nerve hypoplasia. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:387-391 pubmed publisher..A normal neurohypophysis occurred in 67 of 73 children with normal endocrinologic function (specificity, 92%). Neurohypophyseal abnormalities on MRI are sensitive and specific indicators of hypopituitarism in children with ONH. ..
- Lindenfeld J, Cleveland J, Kao D, White M, Wichman S, Bristow J, et al. Sex-related differences in age-associated downregulation of human ventricular myocardial β1-adrenergic receptors. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:352-361 pubmed publisher..The curvilinear relationship between age and receptor density that plateaus around age 40 in women suggests an effect of sex hormones on β1-AR expression in the human heart. ..
- Hamilton B, Salzman K, Wiggins R, Harnsberger H. Earring lesions of the parotid tail. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003;24:1757-64 pubmed
- Coffin C, Hornick J, Zhou H, Fletcher C. Gardner fibroma: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 45 patients with 57 fibromas. Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31:410-6 pubmed..The proportion of sporadic GAFs that have APC mutation remains to be determined...
- Hedlund G, Frasier L. Neuroimaging of abusive head trauma. Forensic Sci Med Pathol. 2009;5:280-90 pubmed publisher..This paper reviews pertinent neuroimaging modalities currently utilized in the diagnosis of AHT, describing clinical indications and a collaborative approach to this process. ..
- Faraklas I, Lam U, Cochran A, Stoddard G, Saffle J. Colloid normalizes resuscitation ratio in pediatric burns. J Burn Care Res. 2011;32:91-7 pubmed publisher..7 vs 6.2 ml/kg/%TBSA, P = .004). Measuring hourly I/O is a helpful means of evaluating fluid demands during burn shock resuscitation. The addition of colloid restores normal I/O in pediatric patients. ..
- Furtado L, Thaker H, Erickson L, Shirts B, Opitz J. Cervical ribs are more prevalent in stillborn fetuses than in live-born infants and are strongly associated with fetal aneuploidy. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2011;14:431-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the hypothesis that cervical ribs are markers for disadvantageous developmental events occurring during blastogenesis and have been subject to strong negative selection during evolution...
- Shelton J, Ramakrishnaiah R, Glasier C, Phillips P. Cavernous sinus syndrome from an internal carotid artery aneurysm in an infant with tuberous sclerosis. J AAPOS. 2011;15:389-91 pubmed publisher..The presence of an intracranial aneurysm should be considered in the differential diagnosis of children with tuberous sclerosis who develop cranial nerve deficits...
- Miller T, Zak V, Shrader P, Ravishankar C, Pemberton V, Newburger J, et al. Growth Asymmetry, Head Circumference, and Neurodevelopmental Outcomes in Infants with Single Ventricles. J Pediatr. 2016;168:220-5.e1 pubmed publisher..Asymmetric growth, important in other high-risk infants, is not a brain-sparing adaptation in infants with SV. Clinicaltrials.gov: NCT00113087. ..
- Janssen E, VÃ¤litalo P, Allegaert K, De Cock R, Simons S, Sherwin C, et al. Towards Rational Dosing Algorithms for Vancomycin in Neonates and Infants Based on Population Pharmacokinetic Modeling. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:1013-21 pubmed publisher..For children aged 1 year and older, the currently advised maintenance dose of 60 mg/kg/day seems appropriate. ..
- Chen Z, Coffin C, Scott S, Meloni Ehrig A, Shepard R, Issa B, et al. Evidence by spectral karyotyping that 8q11.2 is nonrandomly involved in lipoblastoma. J Mol Diagn. 2000;2:73-7 pubmed..2...
- Byington C, Samore M, Stoddard G, Barlow S, Daly J, Korgenski K, et al. Temporal trends of invasive disease due to Streptococcus pneumoniae among children in the intermountain west: emergence of nonvaccine serogroups. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;41:21-9 pubmed..These benefits were accompanied by a significant increase in the proportion of IPD cases due to non-PCV7 serogroups, with increases in the incidence of empyema and severe IPD. ..
- Hedlund G. Congenital frontonasal masses: developmental anatomy, malformations, and MR imaging. Pediatr Radiol. 2006;36:647-62; quiz 726-7 pubmed..Its advantages include multiplanar imaging, distinguishing the interface among cartilage, bone, brain and fluid, diffusion imaging to detect epidermoid tumors, and the capacity to evaluate the brain for associated cerebral anomalies. ..
- Wallentine J, Perkins S, Tripp S, Bruggman R, Bayerl M. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with coexpression of CD3 in a pediatric patient: a case report, review of the literature, and tissue microarray study. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2009;31:124-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, results of a tissue microarray study composed of B-cell-derived non-Hodgkin lymphomas (n=77) and reactive lymphoid hyperplasia (n=13) dual stained for PAX5/CD3 are also reported. ..
- Srivastava R, Berry J, Hall M, Downey E, O Gorman M, Dean J, et al. Reflux related hospital admissions after fundoplication in children with neurological impairment: retrospective cohort study. BMJ. 2009;339:b4411 pubmed publisher..However, admissions for pneumonia remained constant and those for asthma increased after fundoplication. Comparative effectiveness data for other treatments (such as gastrojejunal feeding tubes) are unknown. ..
- May L, Montez Rath M, Yeh J, Axelrod D, Chen S, Maeda K, et al. Impact of ventricular assist device placement on longitudinal renal function in children with end-stage heart failure. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:449-56 pubmed publisher..This is particularly pronounced in those with pre-VAD renal impairment, suggesting that VADs may facilitate recovery and maintenance of kidney function in children with advanced heart failure. ..
- Ventre K, Haroon M, Davison C. Surfactant therapy for bronchiolitis in critically ill infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;:CD005150 pubmed
- Lee S, Day N, Miles R, Perkins S, Lim M, Ayello J, et al. Comparative genomic expression signatures of signal transduction pathways and targets in paediatric Burkitt lymphoma: a Children's Oncology Group report. Br J Haematol. 2017;177:601-611 pubmed publisher..These pre-clinical results suggest that specific signal transduction pathways are overly expressed in PEBL and several pathways could serve as potential future therapeutic targets. ..
- Smith L, Anderson J, Coffin C. Cytodifferentiation and clinical outcome after chemotherapy and radiation therapy for rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS). Med Pediatr Oncol. 2002;38:398-404 pubmed..Sparse persistent tumor cells in post treatment ERMS/BRMS specimens does not appear to affect outcome. ..
- Waterman B, Renschler T, Cartwright P, Snow B, DeVries C. Variables in successful repair of urethrocutaneous fistula after hypospadias surgery. J Urol. 2002;168:726-30; discussion 729-30 pubmed
- Ergonul Z, Clayton F, Fogo A, Kohan D. Shigatoxin-1 binding and receptor expression in human kidneys do not change with age. Pediatr Nephrol. 2003;18:246-53 pubmed..These data demonstrate that intrinsic renal binding of Stx-1 does not vary with age. It is suggested that factors other than basal renal Gb3 expression account for the age-related incidence of acute renal failure in D+HUS. ..
- Williams M, Ettinger R, Hermanns P, Lee B, Carlsson G, Taskinen M, et al. The natural history of severe anemia in cartilage-hair hypoplasia. Am J Med Genet A. 2005;138:35-40 pubmed..Thrombocytosis, though not previously reported in CHH, was noted in five patients, similar to that seen in DBA. The role of possible gene-gene and gene-environment interactions is discussed. ..
- Puchalski M, Lozier J, Bradley D, Minich L, Tani L. Electrocardiography in the diagnosis of right ventricular hypertrophy in children. Pediatrics. 2006;118:1052-5 pubmed
- Glasgow T, Siddiqi F, Hoff C, Young P. Deformational plagiocephaly: development of an objective measure and determination of its prevalence in primary care. J Craniofac Surg. 2007;18:85-92 pubmed..DP is present in nearly one in five PCP infants. Because an infant who prefers to hold his head in one position is more likely to have DP, advising parents to vary the head position may reduce the risk of DP...
- Schwarz E, Liu A, Randall H, Haslip C, Keune F, Murray M, et al. Use of steroid profiling by UPLC-MS/MS as a second tier test in newborn screening for congenital adrenal hyperplasia: the Utah experience. Pediatr Res. 2009;66:230-5 pubmed publisher..This approach was effective in identifying infants with CAH, with both salt-wasting and simple virilizing forms, while reducing the false-positive rate from 2.6 to 0.09%. ..
- McCandless R, Minich L, Tani L, Williams R. Does abciximab promote coronary artery remodeling in patients with Kawasaki disease?. Am J Cardiol. 2010;105:1625-8 pubmed publisher..0 +/- 4.0 vs -8.2 +/- 5.9, p = 0.04). In conclusion, abciximab treatment might be associated with vascular remodeling in patients with large CAAs. ..
- Swoboda K, Scott C, Crawford T, Simard L, Reyna S, Krosschell K, et al. SMA CARNI-VAL trial part I: double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of L-carnitine and valproic acid in spinal muscular atrophy. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12140 pubmed publisher..Weight gain, age and treatment duration were significant confounding variables that should be considered in the design of future trials. Clinicaltrials.gov NCT00227266. ..
- Kestle J, Riva Cambrin J, Wellons J, Kulkarni A, Whitehead W, Walker M, et al. A standardized protocol to reduce cerebrospinal fluid shunt infection: the Hydrocephalus Clinical Research Network Quality Improvement Initiative. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2011;8:22-9 pubmed publisher..The protocol has established a common baseline within the Network, which will facilitate assessment of new treatments. Identification of factors associated with infection will allow further protocol refinement in the future. ..
- Mack S, Witt H, Piro R, Gu L, Zuyderduyn S, Stütz A, et al. Epigenomic alterations define lethal CIMP-positive ependymomas of infancy. Nature. 2014;506:445-50 pubmed publisher..We conclude that epigenetic modifiers are the first rational therapeutic candidates for this deadly malignancy, which is epigenetically deregulated but genetically bland. ..
- Hintz S, Barnes P, Bulas D, Slovis T, Finer N, Wrage L, et al. Neuroimaging and neurodevelopmental outcome in extremely preterm infants. Pediatrics. 2015;135:e32-42 pubmed publisher..Both late CUS and near-term MRI abnormalities were associated with outcomes, independent of early CUS and other factors, underscoring the relative prognostic value of near-term neuroimaging. ..
- Urreizti R, Roca Ayats N, Trepat J, Garcia Garcia F, Alemán A, Orteschi D, et al. Screening of CD96 and ASXL1 in 11 patients with Opitz C or Bohring-Opitz syndromes. Am J Med Genet A. 2016;170A:24-31 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that in 10 of 11, the disease (OTCS or BOS) cannot be explained by small changes in CD96 or ASXL1. However, the cohort is too small to make generalizations about the genetic etiology of these diseases. ..
- Bonkowsky J, Johnson J, Carey J, Smith A, Swoboda K. An infant with primary tooth loss and palmar hyperkeratosis: a novel mutation in the NTRK1 gene causing congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis. Pediatrics. 2003;112:e237-41 pubmed..Immunohistochemistry of skin biopsy specimens, together with routine nerve conduction studies, can provide quick and reliable confirmation if CIPA is clinically suspected...
- Herron M, Vanderhooft S, Smock K, Zhou H, Leachman S, Coffin C. Proliferative nodules in congenital melanocytic nevi: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2004;28:1017-25 pubmed..These findings underscore the similarities between PNs and the underlying CMN and suggest that maturational, proliferative, and apoptotic processes are involved in their clinical evolution. ..
- Stevenson D, Viskochil D, Rope A, Carey J. Clinical and molecular aspects of an informative family with neurofibromatosis type 1 and Noonan phenotype. Clin Genet. 2006;69:246-53 pubmed..We hypothesize that an NF1 mutant allele can lead to diagnostic manifestations of Noonan syndrome, supporting the hypothesis that NF1 allelic heterogeneity causes NFNS. ..
- Guenther E, Olsen C, Keenan H, Newberry C, Dean J, Olson L. Randomized prospective study to evaluate child abuse documentation in the emergency department. Acad Emerg Med. 2009;16:249-57 pubmed publisher..The need for improved health care provider education in child abuse identification and documentation remains. Future innovative educational studies to improve recognition of abuse are warranted. ..
- Bleyl S, Mumford B, Thompson V, Carey J, Pysher T, Chin T, et al. Neonatal, lethal noncompaction of the left ventricular myocardium is allelic with Barth syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 1997;61:868-72 pubmed..This finding provides further structure-function information about the G4.5 gene product and has implications for unexplained cases of severe infantile hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in males. ..
- Liu T, Raetz E, Moos P, Perkins S, Bruggers C, Smith F, et al. Diversity of the apoptotic response to chemotherapy in childhood leukemia. Leukemia. 2002;16:223-32 pubmed..We conclude that that the initial apoptotic response to chemotherapy in children with leukemia is variable involving both p53-dependent and p53-independent pathways. ..
- Byington C, Rittichier K, Bassett K, Castillo H, Glasgow T, Daly J, et al. Serious bacterial infections in febrile infants younger than 90 days of age: the importance of ampicillin-resistant pathogens. Pediatrics. 2003;111:964-8 pubmed..This finding impacts antibiotic selection, especially in cases of meningitis. Local surveillance of pathogens and antibiotic susceptibility patterns is critical to determine appropriate antibiotic therapy. ..
- Steenblik M, Mineau G, Pimentel R, Michaels A. Population-based assessment of familial inheritance and neurologic comorbidities among patients with an isolated atrial septal defect. Congenit Heart Dis. 2009;4:459-63 pubmed publisher..Relatives of affected individuals also had a higher risk of TIA, a trend toward an increased risk for stroke, but no increased risk of migraine headache. ..
- Zobell J, Stockmann C, Young D, Cash J, McDowell B, Korgenski K, et al. Population pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling of high-dose intermittent ticarcillin-clavulanate administration in pediatric cystic fibrosis patients. Clin Ther. 2011;33:1844-50 pubmed publisher..Bacteriostatic and bactericidal effects were not frequently achieved among P. aeruginosa isolates with MICs >32 ?g/mL. Additional studies are warranted to determine the clinical effectiveness of this dosing regimen. ..
- Nussenzveig R, Vanhille D, Hussey D, Reading N, Agarwal A. Development of a rapid multiplex PCR assay for identification of the three common Hemoglobin-Lepore variants (Boston-Washington, Baltimore, and Hollandia) and identification of a new Lepore variant. Am J Hematol. 2012;87:E74-5 pubmed publisher
- Karamlou T, Poynter J, Walters H, Rhodes J, Bondarenko I, Pasquali S, et al. Long-term functional health status and exercise test variables for patients with pulmonary atresia with intact ventricular septum: a Congenital Heart Surgeons Society study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;145:1018-1027.e3 pubmed publisher..5V- or UV-repair strategy. ..
- Deneau M, Book L, Guthery S, Jensen M. Outcome after discontinuation of immunosuppression in children with autoimmune hepatitis: a population-based study. J Pediatr. 2014;164:714-719.e2 pubmed publisher..SIFR is an achievable goal for children with AIH, particularly those with type I disease in stable biochemical remission on immunosuppressive therapy. ..
- Porter S, Coats D, Fischer P, Ou K, Frank E, Sreang P, et al. Thiamine deficiency and cardiac dysfunction in Cambodian infants. J Pediatr. 2014;164:1456-61 pubmed publisher..NT-proBNP concentrations are mildly elevated in sick infants with normal echocardiography findings, indicating possible physiological changes not yet associated with echocardiographic abnormalities. ..
- Ohls R, Kamath Rayne B, Christensen R, Wiedmeier S, Rosenberg A, Fuller J, et al. Cognitive outcomes of preterm infants randomized to darbepoetin, erythropoietin, or placebo. Pediatrics. 2014;133:1023-30 pubmed publisher..Infants randomized to receive ESAs had better cognitive outcomes, compared with placebo recipients, at 18 to 22 months. Darbe and Epo may prove beneficial in improving long-term cognitive outcomes of preterm infants. ..
- Bleyl S, Mumford B, Brown Harrison M, Pagotto L, Carey J, Pysher T, et al. Xq28-linked noncompaction of the left ventricular myocardium: prenatal diagnosis and pathologic analysis of affected individuals. Am J Med Genet. 1997;72:257-65 pubmed..Genetic linkage analysis has localized INVM to the Xq28 region, where other myopathies with cardiac involvement have been located. ..
- Christensen A, Lugo R, Yamashiro D. The effect of confirmation calls on appointment-keeping behavior of patients in a children's hospital dental clinic. Pediatr Dent. 2001;23:495-8 pubmed..There was no difference between calls placed one or two working days prior to the appointment. The greatest reduction in broken appointments was shown in the private insurance group. ..
- Blandford M, Barr F, Lynch J, Randall R, Qualman S, Keller C. Rhabdomyosarcomas utilize developmental, myogenic growth factors for disease advantage: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2006;46:329-38 pubmed..Dual blockade of these growth-factor-signaling pathways may be a valuable strategy in preclinical therapeutic studies. ..
- Williams R, Zak V, Ravishankar C, Altmann K, Anderson J, Atz A, et al. Factors affecting growth in infants with single ventricle physiology: a report from the Pediatric Heart Network Infant Single Ventricle Trial. J Pediatr. 2011;159:1017-22.e2 pubmed publisher..10, P = .002). Aggressive nutritional support and earlier SCPC are modifiable factors associated with a favorable change in weight-for-age z-score. ..
- Cartwright P, Snow B, Mansfield J, Hamilton B. Percutaneous endoscopic trigonoplasty: a minimally invasive approach to correct vesicoureteral reflux. J Urol. 1996;156:661-4 pubmed..The success rate is modest at present. If it were to be improved with technical modifications, percutaneous endoscopic trigonoplasty may change the basic approach to treating children with vesicoureteral reflux. ..
- Whitehead W, Kestle J. The treatment of cerebrospinal fluid shunt infections. Results from a practice survey of the American Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2001;35:205-10 pubmed..Determining the most effective duration of antibiotic therapy in an effort to shorten hospitalization and minimize complications without sacrificing efficacy will require further study. ..
- Kestle J, Drake J, Cochrane D, Milner R, Walker M, Abbott R, et al. Lack of benefit of endoscopic ventriculoperitoneal shunt insertion: a multicenter randomized trial. J Neurosurg. 2003;98:284-90 pubmed..The time to first shunt failure was not different between the two groups (log rank = 2.92, p = 0.09). Endoscopic insertion of the initial VP shunt in children suffering from hydrocephalus did not reduce the incidence of shunt failure. ..
- Rao G, Anderson R, Feldstein N, Brockmeyer D. Expansion of arachnoid cysts in children: report of two cases and review of the literature. J Neurosurg. 2005;102:314-7 pubmed..In this article the authors report the dramatic enlargement of two arachnoid cysts, including the first description of enlargement of an arachnoid cyst located in the anterior fossa. ..
- Bonkowsky J, Guenther E, Filloux F, Srivastava R. Death, child abuse, and adverse neurological outcome of infants after an apparent life-threatening event. Pediatrics. 2008;122:125-31 pubmed publisher..Neurological evaluation during hospitalization for a first apparent life-threatening event is of low yield, but close follow-up is essential. ..
- Pulsipher M, Wall D, Grimley M, Goyal R, Boucher K, Hankins P, et al. A phase I/II study of the safety and efficacy of the addition of sirolimus to tacrolimus/methotrexate graft versus host disease prophylaxis after allogeneic haematopoietic cell transplantation in paediatric acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL). Br J Haematol. 2009;147:691-9 pubmed publisher..A phase III trial to test whether sirolimus decreases relapse and improves outcome after transplantation for ALL is ongoing. ..
- Eliason M, Leachman S, Feng B, SCHWARTZ M, Hansen C. A review of the clinical phenotype of 254 patients with genetically confirmed pachyonychia congenita. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;67:680-6 pubmed publisher..Previous classification schemes have relied on data from case series and case reports. Most patients in these reports were not genetically tested for PC...
- Nelson G, Bonkowsky J, Doll E, Green M, Hedlund G, Moore K, et al. Recognition and Management of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Children. Pediatr Neurol. 2016;55:17-21 pubmed publisher..In contrast to other causes of acute flaccid paralysis in childhood, most children with acute flaccid myelitis have residual neurological deficits. ..
- Ho K, South S, Lortz A, Hensel C, Sdano M, Vanzo R, et al. Chromosomal microarray testing identifies a 4p terminal region associated with seizures in Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome. J Med Genet. 2016;53:256-63 pubmed publisher..We identify a small terminal region of chromosome 4p that represents a seizure susceptibility region. Deletion of this region in the context of WHS is sufficient for seizure occurrence. ..
- La ulu S, Rasmussen K, Straseski J. Pediatric Reference Intervals for Free Thyroxine and Free Triiodothyronine by Equilibrium Dialysis-Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2016;8:26-31 pubmed publisher..Numerous significant differences were observed between pediatric age groups and previously established adult ranges. This emphasizes the need for well-characterized RIs for thyroid hormones in the pediatric population. ..