Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on in situ hybridization in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: in situ hybridization
- Dizon Townson D, Lu J, Morgan T, Ward K. Genetic expression by fetal chorionic villi during the first trimester of human gestation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000;183:706-11 pubmed..They also may be used to study obstetric and other human disease. ..
- Mauch T, Yang G, Wright M, Smith D, Schoenwolf G. Signals from trunk paraxial mesoderm induce pronephros formation in chick intermediate mesoderm. Dev Biol. 2000;220:62-75 pubmed..Studies to identify the molecular nature of the induction are in progress...
- Zhang J, Fuhrmann S, Vetter M. A nonautonomous role for retinal frizzled-5 in regulating hyaloid vitreous vasculature development. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:5561-7 pubmed publisher..Selective loss of Fzd5 in the retina results in PHPV and retinal defects through an apparently cell-nonautonomous effect, revealing a potential requirement for retina-derived signals in regulating the development of the VHV. ..
- Emerson L, Carney H, Layfield L, Sherbotie J. Collecting duct carcinoma arising in association with BK nephropathy post-transplantation in a pediatric patient. A case report with immunohistochemical and in situ hybridization study. Pediatr Transplant. 2008;12:600-5 pubmed publisher..The finding of T-Ag protein expression in both intraepithelial and invasive neoplastic tissues in our case raises the possibility of BK virus as a causative agent in oncogenesis. ..
- Moon A, Capecchi M. Fgf8 is required for outgrowth and patterning of the limbs. Nat Genet. 2000;26:455-9 pubmed..Lack of Fgf8 in the apical ectodermal ridge (AER) alters expression of other Fgf genes, Shh and Bmp2. ..
- Chapman D, Hanson G, Kesner R, Keefe K. Long-term changes in basal ganglia function after a neurotoxic regimen of methamphetamine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2001;296:520-7 pubmed..These data indicate that exposure to a neurotoxic regimen of METH results in long-term changes in striatonigral, but not striatopallidal neuron function and, consequently, altered basal ganglia function. ..
- Colas J, Schoenwolf G. Subtractive hybridization identifies chick-cripto, a novel EGF-CFC ortholog expressed during gastrulation, neurulation and early cardiogenesis. Gene. 2000;255:205-17 pubmed..We named this novel ortholog in bird, chick-cripto. We report the mRNA distribution of chick-cripto, which begins in the epiblast of the gastrula, with a pattern similar to EGF-CFC genes of other vertebrates. ..
- Hourvitz A, Kuwahara A, Hennebold J, Tavares A, Negishi H, Lee T, et al. The regulated expression of the pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A in the rodent ovary: a proposed role in the development of dominant follicles and of corpora lutea. Endocrinology. 2002;143:1833-44 pubmed..Accordingly, successful antral follicle development, ovulation, and corpus luteum formation may be contingent on an IGFBP-4-deplete/PAPP-A-replete circumstance, hence resulting in an IGF-I-replete intrafollicular microenvironment. ..
- Van Raay T, Wang Y, Stark M, Rasmussen J, Francke U, Vetter M, et al. frizzled 9 is expressed in neural precursor cells in the developing neural tube. Dev Genes Evol. 2001;211:453-7 pubmed..5, a region specified to give rise to neurons and glia. Using a polyclonal antibody to MFZ9 further shows expression limited to neural restricted precursors cells. ..
- Hutchinson S, Tooke Locke E, Wang J, Tsai S, Katz T, Trede N. Tbl3 regulates cell cycle length during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2012;368:261-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that tbl3 plays a tissue-specific role regulating cell cycle rate during development. ..
- Cadwallader A, Yost H. Combinatorial expression patterns of heparan sulfate sulfotransferases in zebrafish: I. The 3-O-sulfotransferase family. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3423-31 pubmed..The 3-OST gene family has both specifically expressed and ubiquitously expressed genes, suggesting in vivo functional differences exist between members of this family. ..
- Baker K, Beckstead R, Mangelsdorf D, Thummel C. Functional interactions between the Moses corepressor and DHR78 nuclear receptor regulate growth in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2007;21:450-64 pubmed..The tight functional association between DHR78 and Moses provides a new paradigm for understanding the molecular mechanisms by which cofactors modulate nuclear receptor signaling pathways. ..
- Urness L, Paxton C, Wang X, Schoenwolf G, Mansour S. FGF signaling regulates otic placode induction and refinement by controlling both ectodermal target genes and hindbrain Wnt8a. Dev Biol. 2010;340:595-604 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that Wnt8a provides the link between FGF-induced formation of the pre-otic field and restriction of the otic placode to ectoderm adjacent to the hindbrain. ..
- Sigulinsky C, Green E, Clark A, Levine E. Vsx2/Chx10 ensures the correct timing and magnitude of Hedgehog signaling in the mouse retina. Dev Biol. 2008;317:560-75 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that reduced Hh signaling contributes to the reduced level of RPC proliferation in the orJ retina, thereby revealing a role for Vsx2 in mediating mitogen signaling. ..
- Urness L, Li C, Wang X, Mansour S. Expression of ERK signaling inhibitors Dusp6, Dusp7, and Dusp9 during mouse ear development. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:163-9 pubmed..We show that each is expressed in partially overlapping patterns that correspond to regions of active FGF signaling, suggesting combinatorial roles in negative regulation of this pathway during ear development. ..
- Cadwallader A, Yost H. Combinatorial expression patterns of heparan sulfate sulfotransferases in zebrafish: III. 2-O-sulfotransferase and C5-epimerases. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:581-6 pubmed..Furthermore, although 2-OST and C5-epimerase are predicted to be interdependent for protein translocation from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi, their expression is not coordinately regulated during zebrafish development. ..
- Tanaka M, Hennebold J, Macfarlane J, Adashi E. A mammalian oocyte-specific linker histone gene H1oo: homology with the genes for the oocyte-specific cleavage stage histone (cs-H1) of sea urchin and the B4/H1M histone of the frog. Development. 2001;128:655-64 pubmed
- Nguyen T, Tran V, Sorna V, Eriksson I, Kojima A, Koketsu M, et al. Dimerized glycosaminoglycan chains increase FGF signaling during zebrafish development. ACS Chem Biol. 2013;8:939-48 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these in vivo findings, we propose a new model for GAG/FGF/FGFR interactions in which dimerized GAG chains can activate FGF-mediated signal transduction pathways. ..
- Ding L, McIntyre T, Zimmerman G, Prescott S. The cloning and developmental regulation of murine diacylglycerol kinase zeta. FEBS Lett. 1998;429:109-14 pubmed..Thus, the expression of DGKzeta is regulated temporally and spatially during mammalian development and correlates with the development of sensory neurons and regions undergoing apoptosis. ..
- Green Y, Vetter M. EBF proteins participate in transcriptional regulation of Xenopus muscle development. Dev Biol. 2011;358:240-50 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that EBF activity is important for both stabilizing commitment and driving aspects of differentiation in Xenopus muscle cells...
- Duncan R, Xie Y, McPherson A, Taibi A, Bonkowsky J, Douglass A, et al. Hypothalamic radial glia function as self-renewing neural progenitors in the absence of Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling. Development. 2016;143:45-53 pubmed publisher..Hypothalamic radial glia in the zebrafish larva thus exhibit several key characteristics of a neural stem cell population, and our data support the idea that Wnt pathway function may not be homogeneous in all stem or progenitor cells. ..
- Eisinger A, Nadauld L, Shelton D, Prescott S, Stafforini D, Jones D. Retinoic acid inhibits beta-catenin through suppression of Cox-2: a role for truncated adenomatous polyposis coli. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:29394-400 pubmed..This novel function of truncated Apc may provide a molecular basis for the efficacy of COX-2 inhibitors in the treatment of colon cancer. ..
- Chapman S, Cai Q, Bleyl S, Schoenwolf G. Restricted expression of Fgf16 within the developing chick inner ear. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2276-81 pubmed..The restricted expression pattern of Fgf16 suggests a role for FGF signaling in the patterning of the sensory cristae, together with BMP signaling. ..
- Stachel S, Grunwald D, Myers P. Lithium perturbation and goosecoid expression identify a dorsal specification pathway in the pregastrula zebrafish. Development. 1993;117:1261-74 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the zebrafish dorsal axis is signaled by a pathway initiated in the cleavage-stage embryo. Furthermore, they provide novel insights into anterior morphogenesis. ..
- Ahmad K, Golic K. The transmission of fragmented chromosomes in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;148:775-92 pubmed..We discuss the implications of the recovery and behavior of broken chromosomes for checkpoints that detect double-strand break damage and the functions of telomeres in Drosophila. ..
- Chen F, Capecchi M. Targeted mutations in hoxa-9 and hoxb-9 reveal synergistic interactions. Dev Biol. 1997;181:186-96 pubmed..In particular, the sternum defects are greatly exacerbated. Interestingly, the defects in hoxb-9 and hoxa-9/ hoxb-9 mutant mice are concentrated along the axial column at points of transition between vertebral types. ..
- Pearson B, Eisenhoffer G, Gurley K, Rink J, Miller D, SANCHEZ ALVARADO A. Formaldehyde-based whole-mount in situ hybridization method for planarians. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:443-50 pubmed publisher..Our WISH methodology not only provides significant advancements over current protocols that make it a valuable asset for the planarian community, but should also find wide applicability in WISH methods used in other systems. ..
- Yamamoto T, Noble N, Miller D, Gold L, Hishida A, Nagase M, et al. Increased levels of transforming growth factor-beta in HIV-associated nephropathy. Kidney Int. 1999;55:579-92 pubmed..Tat stimulated the expression and production of TGF-beta 1 and matrix proteins by human mesangial cells. Our findings suggest that overproduction of TGF-beta is involved in the pathogenesis of HIVAN. ..
- Li D, Sorensen L, Brooke B, Urness L, Davis E, Taylor D, et al. Defective angiogenesis in mice lacking endoglin. Science. 1999;284:1534-7 pubmed..Loss of endoglin caused poor vascular smooth muscle development and arrested endothelial remodeling. These results demonstrate that endoglin is essential for angiogenesis and suggest a pathogenic mechanism for HHT1. ..
- Rong Y, Golic K. Gene targeting by homologous recombination in Drosophila. Science. 2000;288:2013-8 pubmed..A method is described that enables analogous manipulations of the Drosophila genome. This technique may also be applicable to other organisms for which gene-targeting procedures do not yet exist. ..
- Rohrwasser A, Ishigami T, Gociman B, Lantelme P, Morgan T, Cheng T, et al. Renin and kallikrein in connecting tubule of mouse. Kidney Int. 2003;64:2155-62 pubmed..By contrast, lower excretion of active renin and prorenin in TK(-/-) compared to TK(+/+) suggest coordinated regulation of the two proteins in their participation to collecting duct function. ..
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Stephens W, Senecal M, Nguyen M, Piotrowski T. Loss of adenomatous polyposis coli (apc) results in an expanded ciliary marginal zone in the zebrafish eye. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2066-77 pubmed publisher..Our results introduce the zebrafish apc mutation as a new model to study signaling pathways regulating the CMZ. ..
- Fuhrmann S, Riesenberg A, Mathiesen A, Brown E, Vetter M, Brown N. Characterization of a transient TCF/LEF-responsive progenitor population in the embryonic mouse retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:432-40 pubmed publisher..TCF/LEF activation in the central retina does not correlate with Wnt/beta-catenin signaling, pointing to an alternate role for this transcription factor family during retinal development. ..
- Park E, Sun X, Nichol P, Saijoh Y, Martin J, Moon A. System for tamoxifen-inducible expression of cre-recombinase from the Foxa2 locus in mice. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:447-53 pubmed..This system will be useful for controlling the activity of floxed alleles at multiple stages of mouse embryogenesis and fetal development. ..
- Kishore B, Isaac J, Fausther M, Tripp S, Shi H, Gill P, et al. Expression of NTPDase1 and NTPDase2 in murine kidney: relevance to regulation of P2 receptor signaling. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;288:F1032-43 pubmed..NTPDases may modulate regulatory effects of ATP and degradation products within the vasculature and other sites and thereby potentially influence physiological as well as multiple pathological events in the kidney. ..
- Andres A, Thummel C. The Drosophila 63F early puff contains E63-1, an ecdysone-inducible gene that encodes a novel Ca(2+)-binding protein. Development. 1995;121:2667-79 pubmed
- Clayton F, Kotler D, Kuwada S, Morgan T, Stepan C, Kuang J, et al. Gp120-induced Bob/GPR15 activation: a possible cause of human immunodeficiency virus enteropathy. Am J Pathol. 2001;159:1933-9 pubmed..Gp120-induced Bob activation is a plausible cause of HIV enteropathy. ..
- Amack J, Yost H. The T box transcription factor no tail in ciliated cells controls zebrafish left-right asymmetry. Curr Biol. 2004;14:685-90 pubmed
- Davis A, Capecchi M. Axial homeosis and appendicular skeleton defects in mice with a targeted disruption of hoxd-11. Development. 1994;120:2187-98 pubmed..Taken together, these observations suggest an important role for Hox genes in controlling localized growth of those cells that contribute to forming the appendicular skeleton. ..
- Becker B, Gard D. Multiple isoforms of the high molecular weight microtubule associated protein XMAP215 are expressed during development in Xenopus. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2000;47:282-95 pubmed
- Huang W, Xing W, Ryskamp D, Punzo C, Krizaj D. Localization and phenotype-specific expression of ryanodine calcium release channels in C57BL6 and DBA/2J mouse strains. Exp Eye Res. 2011;93:700-9 pubmed publisher..While RyR1 signals can be regulated in a strain-specific manner, our data also suggest that RyR1 transcription is induced by early glial activation and/or elevation in intraocular pressure. ..
- Chen F, Capecchi M. Paralogous mouse Hox genes, Hoxa9, Hoxb9, and Hoxd9, function together to control development of the mammary gland in response to pregnancy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:541-6 pubmed..Because loss-of-function mutations in these Hox genes cause hypoplasia of the mammary gland after pregnancy, it may be productive to look for misexpression of these genes in mammary carcinomas. ..
- Cadwallader A, Yost H. Combinatorial expression patterns of heparan sulfate sulfotransferases in zebrafish: II. The 6-O-sulfotransferase family. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3432-7 pubmed..Members of the 6-OST gene family have spatially and temporally distinct restricted expression, suggesting in vivo functional differences exist between members of this family. ..
- Park K, Morrison C, Sorensen L, Jones C, Rao Y, Chien C, et al. Robo4 is a vascular-specific receptor that inhibits endothelial migration. Dev Biol. 2003;261:251-67 pubmed..These data demonstrate that Robo4 is a bona fide member of the Robo family and may provide a repulsive cue to migrating endothelial cells during vascular development. ..
- Spyropoulos D, Capecchi M. Targeted disruption of the even-skipped gene, evx1, causes early postimplantation lethality of the mouse conceptus. Genes Dev. 1994;8:1949-61 pubmed..In situ hybridization analysis demonstrates evx1 gene expression within the visceral endoderm after implantation and prior to gastrulation, at a time in which the mutant phenotype is first detected. ..
- Nadauld L, Shelton D, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. The zebrafish retinol dehydrogenase, rdh1l, is essential for intestinal development and is regulated by the tumor suppressor adenomatous polyposis coli. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30490-5 pubmed
- Ahn D, Ge Y, Stricklett P, Gill P, Taylor D, Hughes A, et al. Collecting duct-specific knockout of endothelin-1 causes hypertension and sodium retention. J Clin Invest. 2004;114:504-11 pubmed..These studies indicate that CD-derived ET-1 is an important physiologic regulator of renal Na excretion and systemic BP. ..
- Boulet A, Moon A, Arenkiel B, Capecchi M. The roles of Fgf4 and Fgf8 in limb bud initiation and outgrowth. Dev Biol. 2004;273:361-72 pubmed..By using a CRE driver expressed in both forelimb and hindlimb ectoderm to inactivate Fgf4 and Fgf8, we have produced mice lacking all limbs, allowing a direct comparison of FGF requirements in the two locations. ..
- Arrington C, Peterson A, Yost H. Sdc2 and Tbx16 regulate Fgf2-dependent epithelial cell morphogenesis in the ciliated organ of asymmetry. Development. 2013;140:4102-9 pubmed publisher..Through an Fgf2-independent pathway, Sdc2 and Tbx16 also control KV ciliogenesis. Our results uncover a novel Sdc2-Tbx16-Fgf2 pathway that regulates epithelial cell morphogenesis...
- Horikawa M, Kirkman N, Mayo K, Mulders S, Zhou J, Bondy C, et al. The mouse germ-cell-specific leucine-rich repeat protein NALP14: a member of the NACHT nucleoside triphosphatase family. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:879-89 pubmed..The structural attributes, expression pattern, and cellular localization of MATER and RNH2 largely conformed to those reported for NALP14. ..
- Manley N, Capecchi M. The role of Hoxa-3 in mouse thymus and thyroid development. Development. 1995;121:1989-2003 pubmed..This variability suggests the presence of a compensating gene or genes, whose utilization is stochastic. A reasonable candidate for providing this compensatory function is the paralogous gene Hoxb-3. ..
- Tögel F, Isaac J, Hu Z, Weiss K, Westenfelder C. Renal SDF-1 signals mobilization and homing of CXCR4-positive cells to the kidney after ischemic injury. Kidney Int. 2005;67:1772-84 pubmed..Because certain cells that express CXCR4 may have renoprotective effects, our results suggest that SDF-1 may be a major signal involved in kidney repair. ..
- Carpenter E, Goddard J, Chisaka O, Manley N, Capecchi M. Loss of Hox-A1 (Hox-1.6) function results in the reorganization of the murine hindbrain. Development. 1993;118:1063-75 pubmed
- Hostikka S, Capecchi M. The mouse Hoxc11 gene: genomic structure and expression pattern. Mech Dev. 1998;70:133-45 pubmed..In the hindlimbs, Hoxc11 expression is seen in the mesenchyme posterior to the region forming the femur and fibula, but does not extend anteriorly to the region giving rise to the tibia or distally to the tarsal bones. ..
- Renfranz P, Siegrist S, Stronach B, Macalma T, Beckerle M. Molecular and phylogenetic characterization of Zyx102, a Drosophila orthologue of the zyxin family that interacts with Drosophila Enabled. Gene. 2003;305:13-26 pubmed
- Lim A, Suli A, Yaniv K, Weinstein B, Li D, Chien C. Motoneurons are essential for vascular pathfinding. Development. 2011;138:3847-57 pubmed publisher..These results provide a definitive example of the requirement of axons in endothelial guidance leading to the parallel patterning of nerves and vessels in vivo. ..
- Pearson B, SANCHEZ ALVARADO A. A planarian p53 homolog regulates proliferation and self-renewal in adult stem cell lineages. Development. 2010;137:213-21 pubmed publisher..However, ultimately the stem cell population fails to self-renew. Our results suggest that prior to the vertebrates, an ancestral p53-like molecule already had functions in stem cell proliferation control and self-renewal. ..
- Wright T, Hatch E, Karabagli H, Karabagli P, Schoenwolf G, Mansour S. Expression of mouse fibroblast growth factor and fibroblast growth factor receptor genes during early inner ear development. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:267-72 pubmed..Fgf16 was expressed in the posterior otic cup and vesicle, suggesting roles in otic cell fate decisions and/or axis formation. ..
- Imanishi Y, Yang L, Sokal I, Filipek S, Palczewski K, Baehr W. Diversity of guanylate cyclase-activating proteins (GCAPs) in teleost fish: characterization of three novel GCAPs (GCAP4, GCAP5, GCAP7) from zebrafish (Danio rerio) and prediction of eight GCAPs (GCAP1-8) in pufferfish (Fugu rubripes). J Mol Evol. 2004;59:204-217 pubmed publisher..Based on genome searches and EST analyses, the mouse and human genomes do not harbor GCAP4-8 or GCIP genes. ..
- Logan M, Steele M, Van Raay T, Vetter M. Identification of shared transcriptional targets for the proneural bHLH factors Xath5 and XNeuroD. Dev Biol. 2005;285:570-83 pubmed..Therefore, we have identified a set of genes that can be regulated by multiple ato-related bHLH factors and may function as critical effectors of proneural bHLH-mediated differentiation. ..
- Henderson J, Brown D, Richardson J, Olson E, Beckerle M. Expression of the gene encoding the LIM protein CRP2: a developmental profile. J Histochem Cytochem. 2002;50:107-11 pubmed..In addition to expression in vascular smooth muscle cells, we also detect CRP2-specific transcripts in mesenchymal derivatives and several epithelia. ..
- Wei X, Bugni T, Harper M, Sandoval I, Manos E, Swift J, et al. Evaluation of pyridoacridine alkaloids in a zebrafish phenotypic assay. Mar Drugs. 2010;8:1769-78 pubmed publisher..Compounds 1-6 were evaluated in a zebrafish phenotype-based assay. Amphimedine (4) was the only compound that caused a phenotype in zebrafish embryos at 30 muM. No phenotype other than death was observed for compounds 1-3, 5, 6. ..
- Kopinke D, Sasine J, Swift J, Stephens W, Piotrowski T. Retinoic acid is required for endodermal pouch morphogenesis and not for pharyngeal endoderm specification. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2695-709 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the developmental processes underlying pharyngeal arch defects differ depending on when RA signaling is disturbed during development...